Author Topic: The "Money well spent" thread. NO INVESTMENTS ALLOWED.  (Read 124489 times)

FIRE Artist

• Handlebar Stache
Re: The "Money well spent" thread. NO INVESTMENTS ALLOWED.
« Reply #500 on: February 21, 2021, 07:35:47 PM »
Something I got during the lock down is a Bissel Crosswave hard floor cleaner which both vacuums and scrubs the floor.  I have been nursing an elderly dog, who has issues with eating her meals without making a mess dropping her home made diet all over the kitchen, and also issues with incontinence.  This thing has made my life so much easier to clean up after her.  There is no way a mop and bucket would do the job anywhere near as well. 

djadziadax

• Stubble
« Reply #501 on: February 22, 2021, 07:14:56 AM »

An Instant Pot. Homemade yogurt is delicious! And way cheaper than buying it.

We have been making yogurt with the Instant Pot for at least 3 years - have not bough yogurt in that long and we eat about half a gallon a week.

The best "accessory" for making the most delicious, thick yogurt is a thermometer - Habor 022 Instant Read Thermometer  - at $13 it is not the cheapest, but it was recommended. Best yogurt comes out at temp between 110F and 115F (closer to the 115F).  I thought about buying this for at least 2 years, and thought it was not necessary, but really has made a huge difference in the consistency of the quality of the yogurt.

We have also used it to check meat done-ness, water temp for green tea (should be at 170F to not burn the tea), water temp for starting yeast for bread, etc. It has been super helpful to have this thermometer.

Also our best combination for yogurt is FAGE 5% as a starter for the yogurt, and then reuse the ready yogurt another few time, and then buy another small container of FAGE (usually .99c).

It really is the best yogurt I have had.

AMandM

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #502 on: February 23, 2021, 10:14:19 AM »
Paint.

A half-dozen sample cans, then two gallons of the one we chose, and the living room went from blah (dirty beige, bland as can be) to wow (deep dramatic moody blue, sets off the furniture and the curtains).

Just Joe

• Walrus Stache
  • Teach me something.
« Reply #503 on: February 24, 2021, 02:19:39 PM »
The slow collecting of tools that have paid off so many times over the years. DIY repairs to home and automobiles, renovations enabling us to get a much higher price at selling time, enabled us to teach some of these DIY skills to our kids who can then use these tools for themselves in the years to come.

dandypandys

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #504 on: February 25, 2021, 06:25:27 AM »
You guys made me spend monaaayyy. Now both our toilets are equipped with Luxe 185 bidet :)
FUN TOILET TIMES!

Metalcat

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #505 on: February 25, 2021, 06:37:59 AM »
Magnetic spice jars and a label maker.

The entire side of my fridge is now entirely covered with about 50, clearly labeled, alphabetized spice jars. It's a thing of beauty.

RetiredAt63

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #506 on: February 25, 2021, 08:21:41 AM »

The entire side of my fridge is now entirely covered with about 50, clearly labeled, alphabetized spice jars. It's a thing of beauty.

That does sound beautiful.  Easy access, no counter space wasted. Picture Please?

Metalcat

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #507 on: February 25, 2021, 11:04:09 AM »

That does sound beautiful.  Easy access, no counter space wasted. Picture Please?

I found this photo online that looks similar https://www.custommagneticspicerack.com/ideas-for-renters

RetiredAt63

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #508 on: February 25, 2021, 11:10:30 AM »

I found this photo online that looks similar https://www.custommagneticspicerack.com/ideas-for-renters

That is cool.

crocheted_stache

• Stubble
« Reply #509 on: March 01, 2021, 09:06:33 PM »
Google tells me that i should be spending $10 on toilet paper a month per person.
WHUUTT???

WTF have you asked google? Toilet paper prices for Neumeyer III (Antartica)?

I am quite sure I have paid less than 10 dollar for the whole last year!

And yes, you find bedets in hotels a lot more. Actually I have to correct myself: I know one private household with one, but that guy build a huge house (for Germany) and lived most of his childhood in New Zealand, so that may influence that.

Americans like their TP I guess? Not sure what to tell you. Here's a link (though it includes paper towels and napkins too): https://www.statista.com/statistics/305513/us-expenditure-on-cleansing-and-toilet-tissue-paper-towels-and-napkins/

Money well spent:

Cloth handkerchiefs, cloth napkins (check garage sales and free swaps; lots never get used), and a bundle of terry cloth cleaning cloths. Costco has the cleaning cloths for like 35¢ apiece, or look up "unpaper towels." Split a bundle with somebody if there are too many. They also take the place of wipes and Swiffer refills. They also don't disintegrate on contact with water. I keep a roll of paper towels only for exceptionally dirty jobs, like paint cleanup or the yuck that splattered when unclogging a drain.

I definitely don't spend anywhere close to $10/month on paper products, and there's less trash.

jrhampt

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #510 on: March 02, 2021, 06:20:17 AM »
Solar panels.

totally dismantled the kitchen - knocked out a wall and replaced old peninsula with an island.  Also squeezed in a small Bosch dishwasher into our 600 sq ft house and tiny kitchen.  Fits in a lot of dishes and runs very quietly.  Now we don't have dishes drying all over our limited counter space and both of us can work in the kitchen at the same time without tripping over each other.

Mgmny

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #511 on: March 02, 2021, 08:51:46 AM »
Solar panels.

I had my panels for over a year now. Just the other day, I looked back at my first 365 days of panels. They generated $2250 of electricity and they cost me $2000, so I made $250 extra dollars just by putting them on my roof!

Plus, i know i'm using clean energy. It's amazing that my roof gets enough sun to power all of my electricity for the entire year. I produced about 11.5 megawatts of electricity in 2020. I can't see my usage data, but my guess is that it was somewhere around 8-10 megawatts. Wild to me that everyone around is just wasting all those sun rays from their roof!!

Hall11235

• Stubble
« Reply #512 on: March 02, 2021, 08:55:13 AM »
You guys made me spend monaaayyy. Now both our toilets are equipped with Luxe 185 bidet :)
FUN TOILET TIMES!

A bidet, hands down. Not close. I hate the phrase 'Game-changer' since it so rarely is, but the Bidet literally changed my bathroom habits for the better. It has reached the point where I will 'hold it' after two pm to wait to get home to use that sweet, sweet butt washer.

zolotiyeruki

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #513 on: March 02, 2021, 10:54:57 AM »
Solar panels.

I had my panels for over a year now. Just the other day, I looked back at my first 365 days of panels. They generated $2250 of electricity and they cost me $2000, so I made $250 extra dollars just by putting them on my roof!

Plus, i know i'm using clean energy. It's amazing that my roof gets enough sun to power all of my electricity for the entire year. I produced about 11.5 megawatts of electricity in 2020. I can't see my usage data, but my guess is that it was somewhere around 8-10 megawatts. Wild to me that everyone around is just wasting all those sun rays from their roof!!
That's awesome!  That's an astoundingly low cost--I'm assuming you did your own installation?  Where did you source the panels?

Mgmny

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #514 on: March 02, 2021, 01:00:05 PM »
Solar panels.

That's awesome!  That's an astoundingly low cost--I'm assuming you did your own installation?  Where did you source the panels?

Lol, sort of the opposite. I let someone else handle everything, and that $2000 cost is my monthly loan payment of $168 per month on like $23,000 over 15 years. I guess i put $500 down that i am ignoring becuase it's a one time cost. So I guess my first year could be 2500 cost vs 2200 in production, but then this year will be 2000 cost vs 2200 in production (unless rates go up, then it gets better!)

In minnesota we have 10 year solar rewards program (i get 7 or 8 cents a kW produced) and i get net metering, so it's pretty lucrative here.

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #515 on: March 02, 2021, 02:19:11 PM »
Solar panels.

Lol, sort of the opposite. I let someone else handle everything, and that $2000 cost is my monthly loan payment of $168 per month on like $23,000 over 15 years. I guess i put $500 down that i am ignoring becuase it's a one time cost. So I guess my first year could be 2500 cost vs 2200 in production, but then this year will be 2000 cost vs 2200 in production (unless rates go up, then it gets better!)

In minnesota we have 10 year solar rewards program (i get 7 or 8 cents a kW produced) and i get net metering, so it's pretty lucrative here.
I always wonder how much the installation of the equipment shortens the life of the roof. Something not insignificant to include in your calculations.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2021, 01:27:26 AM by Dicey »

zolotiyeruki

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #516 on: March 02, 2021, 03:15:37 PM »
I always wonder much the installation of the equipment shortens the life of the roof. Something not insignificant to include in your calculations.
Don't forget the fact that the roof will likely need to be replaced before the solar panels hit EOL.  I was talking to a GC the other day who told me about a client who needed a new roof under their solar panels.  It cost them an extra $5k to have the panels removed and then reinstalled.

If/when I get solar, I think I'd prefer it to be either on a metal roof, or I'll use it as the shade for a large deck/patio/gazebo, where water isn't a concern.

turketron

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #517 on: March 02, 2021, 03:19:53 PM »
I always wonder much the installation of the equipment shortens the life of the roof. Something not insignificant to include in your calculations.
Don't forget the fact that the roof will likely need to be replaced before the solar panels hit EOL.  I was talking to a GC the other day who told me about a client who needed a new roof under their solar panels.  It cost them an extra $5k to have the panels removed and then reinstalled.

If/when I get solar, I think I'd prefer it to be either on a metal roof, or I'll use it as the shade for a large deck/patio/gazebo, where water isn't a concern.

We bought panels last year on a ~4 year old roof - our contract with the solar company includes a one-time removal/reinstallation at no cost if/when the roof needs to be replaced.

Mgmny

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #518 on: March 03, 2021, 07:19:10 AM »
Solar panels.

I always wonder how much the installation of the equipment shortens the life of the roof. Something not insignificant to include in your calculations.

So, the solar panel company (obviously biased) said it will actually preserve my roof better, because the panels will shield the roof from sun damage, hail, rain, wind, etc, so that typically roofs last longer with panels on them vs roofs without. That's what they said in the sales spiel anyways.

Mgmny

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #519 on: March 03, 2021, 07:24:50 AM »

Maybe...? The house was built in 2019, and put the panels up very shortly thereafter. The builder said it's a "50 year roof" so in theory we could have this roof for 50 years - even if i'm off by 50% and we need to replace it at 25 years, that's still probably a pretty low amount spread over 25-50 years in 20xx dollars. Around here, it seems like roofs are usually replaced due to storm damage (and therefore an insurance claim that covers the cost - subject to the same deductible with or without panels), so it may not even really matter.

The solar company said that because panels shield the roof from hail, wind, sun, - everything, basically, they actually extend the life of your roof considerably because of the panel protection.

we'll see though! I'm not sure how likely it will be that i will be in this house in 25-50 years anyways. Average american usually lives in a house for 8 years.

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #520 on: March 03, 2021, 07:38:49 AM »

Maybe...? The house was built in 2019, and put the panels up very shortly thereafter. The builder said it's a "50 year roof" so in theory we could have this roof for 50 years - even if i'm off by 50% and we need to replace it at 25 years, that's still probably a pretty low amount spread over 25-50 years in 20xx dollars. Around here, it seems like roofs are usually replaced due to storm damage (and therefore an insurance claim that covers the cost - subject to the same deductible with or without panels), so it may not even really matter.

The solar company said that because panels shield the roof from hail, wind, sun, - everything, basically, they actually extend the life of your roof considerably because of the panel protection.

we'll see though! I'm not sure how likely it will be that i will be in this house in 25-50 years anyways. Average american usually lives in a house for 8 years.
Of course they said that, they're salespeople. My curiosity is the many, many points of attachment, i.e. holes in the roof. Also, in a climate where weather tends to cause roof damage, does adding raised panels above the surface of the roof exacerbate that problem? I don't know, but both seem likely and not something a salesperson bent on closing a sale would likely explore with a prospective client.

Greystache

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #521 on: March 03, 2021, 08:34:35 AM »

Of course they said that, they're salespeople. My curiosity is the many, many points of attachment, i.e. holes in the roof. Also, in a climate where weather tends to cause roof damage, does adding raised panels above the surface of the roof exacerbate that problem? I don't know, but both seem likely and not something a salesperson bent on closing a sale would likely explore with a prospective client.

I don't know if solar panels will extend the life of your roof, but I do know that they will keep your roof cooler. My panels are installed on the roof above my bedroom which has a cathedral ceiling. My bedroom stays much cooler in the summer since I got the panels installed.

Sailor Sam

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
  • Semper...something
« Reply #522 on: March 03, 2021, 08:36:12 AM »
Got a dog. He’s a shelter rescue, and he comes with a slew of behaviour quirks that are taking time and $$ as we learn together.

RetiredAt63

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #523 on: March 03, 2021, 09:22:38 AM »
Got a dog. He’s a shelter rescue, and he comes with a slew of behaviour quirks that are taking time and $$ as we learn together.

Ah, our pets.  My cat is a third timer, I am her third owner in 2 years.  Poor thing, she went from animal shelter to first owner to animal shelter to second owner to me.  She is 7, no idea what her life was before the shelter.  We are sorting things out, I plan to be third and final.

RainyDay

• Bristles
« Reply #524 on: March 03, 2021, 01:10:45 PM »
A membership with The Body Project, which is online gym of sorts.  Hundreds and hundreds of workout videos, programs, etc.  Also a huge online community.  I am loving it!

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #525 on: March 03, 2021, 09:17:17 PM »
Good for you!

Hula Hoop

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #526 on: March 04, 2021, 05:44:24 AM »
Lately: therapy. Costs a lot but so worth it if you come from family like mine.

brunetteUK

• Stubble
« Reply #527 on: April 12, 2021, 06:55:36 AM »
Thank you @Malcat @Rhinodad and @englishteacheralex !

I got my Global knife a few weeks back and I'm so happy with it!

Metalcat

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #528 on: April 12, 2021, 07:12:08 AM »
Thank you @Malcat @Rhinodad and @englishteacheralex !

I got my Global knife a few weeks back and I'm so happy with it!

Oh excellent!

Now go buy the Paprika app and you'll be very happy in the kitchen.

ender

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #529 on: April 12, 2021, 07:16:16 AM »
Solar panels.

What happens if you sell?

I also live in the MSP area and have considered this. Your price/generation makes me think maybe we ought to consider this too :-)

But selling with a financed solar panel array is something which I worry about.

Mgmny

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #530 on: April 12, 2021, 09:28:50 AM »
Solar panels.

I also live in the MSP area and have considered this. Your price/generation makes me think maybe we ought to consider this too :-)

We would need to cover the loan. So, if we sell, we would be on the hook for $20,000 or whatever the balance is though. I'm hoping though, that someone would look at the panels and say, "wow, these panels are worth $200 a month! i will pay $20,000 more for this house for free electricity forever!"

Could be wishful thinking, but i would think it is worth something. $200 free dollars a month is equal to about $50,000 knock off of a 3% loan over 30 years, so even if someone doesn't pay that equivalent, i would hope they would see $2400 a year in free money worth at least $20k

Catbert

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #531 on: April 12, 2021, 10:25:29 AM »
Solar panels.

This is something to seriously consider.  Several real estate agents and a mortgage broker acquaintances told me that leased solar is a recurring problem with sales.  (Maybe not at the moment given the hot market.)  Yes, the buyer can take over the lease if they want but often they don't want.   Solar technology is moving along just like everything else.  Making lease payments on a 10 year old system would be like taking over payments on a 2 year old (originally top of the line) smartphone.

Mgmny

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #532 on: April 12, 2021, 10:42:59 AM »
Solar panels.

This is something to seriously consider.  Several real estate agents and a mortgage broker acquaintances told me that leased solar is a recurring problem with sales.  (Maybe not at the moment given the hot market.)  Yes, the buyer can take over the lease if they want but often they don't want.   Solar technology is moving along just like everything else.  Making lease payments on a 10 year old system would be like taking over payments on a 2 year old (originally top of the line) smartphone.

Mine aren't leased, so there would be no burden on a future buyer. Mine are owned, but financed with a loan.

talltexan

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #533 on: April 19, 2021, 09:27:31 AM »
I'm at that point in the spring where it feels like I'm shoveling money out the door like mad trying to line up summer camps for my kids. These always seemed valuable to me, but after the past year of all being at home together, they seem so, so critical to keep me sane.

And they learn some stuff at them!

Weisass

• Pencil Stache
    • "Deeper In Me Than I"
« Reply #534 on: April 19, 2021, 09:32:32 AM »
I just spent a portion of a windfall on a commuter ebike. I could have taken ages to find a used option, or I could have picked the most affordable option, but instead I bought what I really wanted, and I can’t wait to pick it up today. Because then I have no excuse for driving to work.

Mgmny

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #535 on: April 19, 2021, 11:48:47 AM »
I just spent a portion of a windfall on a commuter ebike. I could have taken ages to find a used option, or I could have picked the most affordable option, but instead I bought what I really wanted, and I can’t wait to pick it up today. Because then I have no excuse for driving to work.

I have the radwagon4 and it is amazing!!! you will love yours!!!

Optimiser

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #536 on: April 20, 2021, 11:04:45 AM »

I have the radwagon4 and it is amazing!!! you will love yours!!!

Welcome to the ebike commuting club. I have a Rad City and it is life changing.

ysette9

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #537 on: April 20, 2021, 02:06:34 PM »
I’ll jump on the bandwagon of celebrating ebikes. I love mine. I bike all the time now whereas I never used to bike. I got a kick-ass bike trailer recently (Wike) that fits my biggest kids so I can continue to haul them around where the oldest had outgrown all regular sized bike trailers. We now live on top of a hill in a hilly city so the extra power is especially appreciated.

FireLane

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #538 on: July 07, 2021, 02:42:06 PM »
My wife and I are serious cold brew coffee addicts. On hot days, we were spending far too much money on buying it from coffee shops.

I tried brewing it at home in a French press, which didn't make enough to get us through the day, or in a pitcher with a mesh straining bag, which was a PITA to clean up. I just bought this, which proved to be a good solution:

https://www.county-line-kitchen.com/collections/cold-brewers/products/cold-brew-coffee-maker-with-flip-cap-lid-2-quart-make-amazing-cold-brew-coffee-and-tea-with-this-durable-mason-jar-and-stainless-steel-filter-and-flip-cap-lid

It's a steel mesh filter that fits into a 2-quart Mason jar. I fill the filter with coffee grounds, fill the jar with water, let it steep overnight, and in the morning, we have plenty of cold brew to get us through the day. It was less than 30 bucks and will save us thousands of lifetime dollars.

pasadenafr

• Bristles
« Reply #539 on: July 07, 2021, 03:48:27 PM »
Out of the top of my head:

* LASIK. That's not recent, I had it in 2014, but it's still the best few thousands dollars I've spent in my entire life. I do need to wear contacts again in one eye when driving or watching TV, but I still marvel at waking up and seeing what's around me.
* My two robot vacuums. Yes, two. I loved the first one so much that I bought another one for upstairs. They work amazingly well and they are my two best friends in the world.
* Aftershokz headphones. They solved all my headphone problems. I still wear in-ear buds when I go to the gym or when I'm in a plane, and really want to tune out exterior noises (and gym music, gah), and every time I do, I remember why I love my Aftershokz so much.
* Yoghourt machine. I don't like most of the yoghourts I find in the US (although they're much better than they used to be), or they cost a fortune, and this little $40 machine makes them just like back home for almost nothing. I can't survive without yoghourt.

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #540 on: July 07, 2021, 03:58:14 PM »
I just got my new pair of Birkenstock sandals to replace the old very well-worn pair in the same style/color that I wore for the last 5 or 6 years. I've maybe gone through 5 pairs in the last 25 years and haven't regretted purchasing any of them. They're always comfortable and fit my feet really well.

onehair

• Bristles
« Reply #541 on: July 08, 2021, 08:48:50 AM »
My new Ipod.  I'd been lusting after the 1 terabyte model for some time to complete my little family of Pods.  When we got the stimulus after I paid on rent and some bills I purchased one off Ebay the first seller never sent it (boo hiss) but the second one I took a chance on from China did.  It uses less power than my previous models.    It holds nearly all my collection with exception of newer format files which the Phone and new Touch can play with no issues.  It doesn't have Bluetooth and some of the buttons stick a little but I do adore it.

RainyDay

• Bristles
« Reply #542 on: July 09, 2021, 08:33:14 AM »
I just got my new pair of Birkenstock sandals to replace the old very well-worn pair in the same style/color that I wore for the last 5 or 6 years. I've maybe gone through 5 pairs in the last 25 years and haven't regretted purchasing any of them. They're always comfortable and fit my feet really well.

Footwear!  I hear ya!  I just scored a barely-used pair of Bass brand flip flops from the thrift store for $4.  I'm ridiculously excited about my latest purchase.

talltexan

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #543 on: July 09, 2021, 11:30:43 AM »
On the Ipod--I love that wheel for navigation, why would apple ever take away the wheel!!?!

TomTX

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #544 on: July 10, 2021, 07:07:21 PM »

* Yoghourt machine. I don't like most of the yoghourts I find in the US (although they're much better than they used to be), or they cost a fortune, and this little $40 machine makes them just like back home for almost nothing. I can't survive without yoghourt.

My Instant Pot makes great yogurt. Scald the milk for 1 minute, let it cool to tepid, stir in culture (existing active yogurt) and hit the yogurt button for it to sit at the right temperature overnight.

Instant pot also makes it so much easier to do great brown rice, beans, stock and such.

Money well spent. During a Black Friday sale. ;)

ChpBstrd

• Walrus Stache
  • Location: A poor and backward Southern state known as minimum wage country
« Reply #545 on: July 10, 2021, 07:49:29 PM »
1) Old Bowers & Wilkins bookshelf speakers. Paid $300/pair used off of eBay for two pairs, 301’s and 303’s. Plus another $150 for a used Wharfedale center channel, which is also perfect in every way. All British-made old stuff from circa 2000 before everything went to China. Hooked to a Yamaha amp and sub that were given to me because they were analog only and my uncle wanted to run hdmi. This 5:1 surround set causes me to sit back and enjoy music I normally hate, because they reveal so many separate layers and dimensions to all types of music. Horror movies are a no-go at my home because the sound imaging is a little too real and close. Whispered dialog in movies goes right in my ear.

2) LASIK eye surgery. $4200 ten years ago. Still better than 20/20 vision and no need for reading glasses. I appreciate this every sunset, every hilltop vista, and every distant sign.

3) Season passes to a network of 3 public pools near me. $25 per person. I can’t fill an inflatable pool that cheaply, much less take care of something all summer. The kid is entertained and learning to swim.

BudgetSlasher

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #546 on: July 11, 2021, 09:01:50 AM »
A practical extension to our front porch.

We (in reality guests since we mostly enter and exit through the garage) can now walk directly in or out from the mud room door and down steps directly onto the driveway. This will help immensely in the winter as the area under the deck becomes inches of ice in the winter due to melt and re-freeze and our front door required a long path to be cleared for winter access, even then the steps are under a roof drip edge and often very icey. (also the front door area does not have space for all the winter related needs that a mud room serves).

henramdrea

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #547 on: July 11, 2021, 12:16:08 PM »
This is certainly not like some epic purchase here, but serves the illustration well.

I've had a pair of "go'to" sunglasses I bought for $1 about 15 years ago.  Still have them.  The only pair I can't seem to lose.  I don't understand it, but I accept it! ;}

Morning Glory

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #548 on: July 12, 2021, 09:20:55 PM »
This is certainly not like some epic purchase here, but serves the illustration well.

I've had a pair of "go'to" sunglasses I bought for $1 about 15 years ago.  Still have them.  The only pair I can't seem to lose.  I don't understand it, but I accept it! ;}

I'm currently using sunglasses that my husband found at the junkyard. They are nicer than the ones I had before.

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #549 on: July 13, 2021, 01:26:35 PM »
This is apparently horribly unmustachian, but our 17-year-old tumble dryer.

It's no problem to dry our clothes and linens on the line or rack during fall and winter when the air is drier and the heat is on. We don't have central AC and in summer, when the relative humidity is regularly above 70% during the day (currently 76%) and above 90% at night, things go mildewy well before they dry on the line. If we don't fully tumble-dry our linens and some clothes, we end up having to re-wash them to get the mildew smell out (which wastes time, water, and electricity).