Author Topic: The "Money well spent" thread. NO INVESTMENTS ALLOWED.  (Read 128495 times)

vand

• Handlebar Stache
The "Money well spent" thread. NO INVESTMENTS ALLOWED.
« on: May 18, 2020, 10:18:37 AM »
Tired of reading about people getting excited because they slashed their comms bill by $5?
Tired of discussion about where to stick the emergency fund?

Use this thread to shout about any particular purchase you recently made.

But no INVESTMENTS allowed.

I don't care if you bought Tesla and tripled your money, or if you extended your kitchen for a hundred bucks.

This is about consumption.. but tasteful consumption. Tell us about a thing you spent money on that you really got your money's worth from. Maybe it was a great value meal out, or a great little gadget that does exactly what you've been looking for.

vand

• Handlebar Stache
Re: The "Money well spent" thread. NO INVESTMENTS ALLOWED.
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2020, 10:24:54 AM »
One thing that I purchased a few months ago that I'm delighted with are some quality blutooth headphones.

For the last few years I kept buying the in-ear earphones but they always kept dying after a few weeks/months as the wire in cable would eventually get too flexed and break inside. They were usually in the region of £15 a pair, but I reckon I have gone through at least 7-8 pairs in the last couple of years, so easily over £100 on them.

Then last Christmas I got a pair of these:

They've served me perfectly since. They're robust, and the battery life is excellent (30+hrs, compared to 6-7hrs on the in-ear earphones).

Buying the cheaper in-ear earphones was an exercise in false economy. These headphones were £40 and I consider it the best £40 I've spent in a long time!

chemistk

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2020, 11:02:38 AM »
Over the years there have been many (lookin' at you, basement trampoline).

The most recent? I surprised my wife with an early mothers' day gift - a stand mixer upgrade. We've had a standard tilt-head Kitchenaid for years and it's served us well (even repaired it myself once), but it's just not up to the kind of baking she's into anymore.

I was able to get the 6qt bowl-lift professional model for $249 at Costco late last month, and she uses it every other day. It's facilitated a budding interest in sourdough everything (bread, pancakes, pretzels) and definitely does way more than the tilt head model can. We'll be able to sell the old one for $50-$75 so a net <$200 is a huge win.

2sk22

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2020, 11:29:44 AM »
My Apple Watch has been one of the most useful things that I have. Apart from the health tracking features, I really like how well it handles notifications and the ability to take phone calls when away from my phone. I also use it to listen to podcasts through my AirPods when working out. I have been using an Apple Watch since they came out 2015 and am currently on my second one (series 5).

Sibley

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2020, 11:31:05 AM »
It's beyond small, but I think it qualifies. I recently bought a new kind of cat toy, the yellow banana catnip toy. I'm sure it was just a couple dollars, but this one toy has provided SOOOOOO much entertainment for the cat, plus has made various humans laugh as well because of how the cat has been going at it. She made a surprise appearance yesterday on the family zoom call because she flung it around enough and landed on the keyboard. So then Arwen made a flying leap onto the keyboard.

Buffaloski Boris

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2020, 11:40:08 AM »
Cool idea @vand

DW spent $10 to have a bag of crisps delivered. Kraut Krisps (dill pickle flavor). I happen to be crazy about them, but the only store I know of that stocks them is across town and is generally expensive for other things so it wasn’t worth a trip for a large bag of junk food. No regrets.

SailingOnASmallSailboat

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2020, 11:41:36 AM »
At least once a day one of us remarks on how much we love our kitchen sink. It's a single bowl stainless undermount that still looks amazing after 10 years.

Alternatepriorities

• Handlebar Stache
  • Engineer, explorer, investor
    • Alternate Priorities
« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2020, 11:44:27 AM »
Following OPs lead on headphones:

I splurged on apple noise cancelling airpods for talking on the phone while working late last year. It's amazing how nice it is to have something that just works with no cord to catch on my arm.

Currently looking to spend about a grand on a small boat and motor that are capable of running in very shallow water. It will allow access to a lot more of my state.

wenchsenior

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2020, 12:24:25 PM »
Every bit of the not small amount of $ I have recently spent on swim club membership, specialized swim suits, equipment, etc. Best money I've spent since last time I spent it, several years ago.

ROF Expat

• Bristles
« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2020, 12:53:48 PM »
Kitchenaid bowl lift stand mixer --I like making bread, but this makes it much easier and more enjoyable. 

Baking steel --makes pizza and most breads come out much better.  Not very expensive and will last beyond my lifetime. 

My home gym equipment --Olympic bars, power rack, benches, bumper plates, etc.  I can lift whenever I want, use chalk, and make the occasional rude noise without fear of embarrassment.  I can listen to my own bad music and not have other people's bad music inflicted upon me.  I don't have to wait while guys admire themselves in the mirror or secretly check out the women in the gym.  I can wallow in my curmudgeonhood.  The equipment will eventually pay for itself in saved gym fees, but it would be worth it to me even if it didn't. 

SPCA dog.  Anybody who says money won't buy love never bought a puppy.  The dog started out cheap and turned horribly expensive when we had to pay for an international move.  But when I see my daughter and her dog, I know it was worth it. 

iva

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #10 on: May 18, 2020, 12:57:07 PM »
About a year ago decided to sign up for a fancy climbing gym membership - used to balk at the almost ~$100/mo, but goodness am I glad to have the friends + fitness habits I picked up there to help tide me over while all the gyms are closed.

Also, I don't often splurge on fashion but I found something secondhand online that I'd been looking for for years, and now turns out to be the perfect time to wear them! They don't stick out so much on a video call :)

Not my photo, yes my new-to-me overalls.

Much Fishing to Do

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #11 on: May 18, 2020, 01:09:01 PM »
The Beatles Complete Chord Songbook....after 30 years of neglect I decided it was time to try to relearn basic guitar during this lockdown and thought this might give me a lot of funs songs I'd know to get back into practice....i had forgotten just how many of their songs I know and love and might not have been so good about practicing if it wasn't for this book

Not for me but I got my wife a Nespresso for the lockdown, not exactly cheap but she's enjoyed it more than a new car would have been....

scantee

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #12 on: May 18, 2020, 01:24:22 PM »
For like ten years I had this crappy metal utensil holder from Ikea. Not something you put in a drawer to hold forks and spoons, something for a countertop to hold wooden spoons, tongs, spatulas, etc. Seriously every time I pulled a utensil out of this holder it would tip over. Every. Time. I never bought something to replace it because, it sort of worked I guess? Then about two years ago I was at target and I saw a nice, big, sturdy, utensil holder. $20. I put it in the cart and told myself not to second guess the purchase. And this silly upgrade has truly improved my cooking enjoyment tenfold. I still get satisfaction from the fact that I can pull a spatula out of this thing without it moving. So yeah, don’t be stupid like me and forego a small purchase out of principle alone.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2020, 01:25:59 PM by scantee »

big_owl

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #13 on: May 18, 2020, 01:42:39 PM »
Peloton.  Well my wife spent the money actually, but close enough.  It came in very handy after surgery and has gotten a ton of use the past couple months with gyms being all closed down.

FINate

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #14 on: May 18, 2020, 02:01:22 PM »
Recently added a Network Attached Storage (NAS) to my home network to safely store, index, and serve all of our photos, music, and digitized documents (going paperless by scanning and indexing searchable PDFs).

It's not an investment and not strictly necessary as we could have continued using Google Drive + Time Machine backups. But oh man, is it ever money well spent. It does exactly what I've long dreamed of: a smart network file server that can be used as a normal network drive/share, but also indexes and organizes libraries based on metadata embedded in the files. Copy over a bunch of music into a somewhat structured directory structure (of my own choosing) and in a few minutes it is all cataloged by genre, artists, album, etc. Same with photos, along with built in face recognition and image recognition to tag photo subjects. And I can securely access my files remotely over the internet.

Additionally the NAS does automatic detection and correction of data corruption (was starting to experience some bit rot on my primary computer), and has scheduling features for backups and other administrative tasks. Now have RAID redundancy plus local versioned backups to an external USB drive and off-site versioned backup to Amazon S3 (looks like this will run me about $3/month).

It wasn't cheap, but wish I had gone this route years ago.

better late

• Bristles
« Reply #15 on: May 18, 2020, 02:08:24 PM »
Elliptical machine purchased 2 years ago and the weight set we purchased in early March. We schedule our days deciding what time each person will use the equipment. Started going to the gym about 6 months ago and having the equipment at home allows us to maintain the good habits.

PDXTabs

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #16 on: May 18, 2020, 02:08:59 PM »
Both of my ~$1500 bicycles (Surly Pacer circa 2004, Surly Crosscheck circa 2012).

chicagomeg

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #17 on: May 18, 2020, 02:27:58 PM »
I bought a ~$25 cheese grater based on a Wirecutter recommendation last fall and it just delights me every time I use it. My boyfriend has a standard cheapo & I'm on the verge of carrying mine to his house every time I go over because the difference is so dramatic.

use2betrix

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #18 on: May 18, 2020, 02:35:57 PM »
Over the last couple years, we have been purchasing some “built for life” items that are expensive, since we know during FIRE we won’t want to spend the money on them (but will be good to have them).

Let me preface this that I spend my entire career dealing with everything Quality related on major industrial projects. As such, I have no issue spending more money on quality items. Some might not always be the most mustachian (i.e. nice jeans that cost 5x more than cheap jeans, but only last 3x as long)

1. Vitamix blender - we use it 1-2 times a day to make huge shakes. It’s a beast. It has like an 8 year warranty? Not much more to be said.

2. Red Wing Heritage boots - the quality of these boots are remarkable. They have Goodyear welt soles and can be resoled once they wear down. They are 100% American made, with American made materials. I do probably have more pairs than I can justify, however

3. Our Casita travel trailer. We have had many trailers over the year and the quality and build of this is leaps and bounds better than anything else we have owned. It’s taken us to many camping trips, beach weekends, cross state journeys, and even to the cities a few hours away to save on a hotel (plus easier to bring our dog). While a trailer is expensive, for reference, it was about the same cost as we are saving right now in a month. The Casita’s also retain their value very well. We got a deal on one about 3 years old.

4. Quality clothes in general. I have found buying nice denim, shirts, etc. just bring me a lot of happiness and I appreciate the quality. Also, a significant amount of my clothes are made in the U.S. Those not made in the U.S. are typically Canadian or Japanese.

5. Theragun G3Pro - this is like a $600 massage gun. We bought it about 5 months ago and have used it basically every day since. I run and lift a lot, and this has been a life saver

6. Bradley Mountain backpack and duffle bag. These are made in the U.S. with American materials. I searched months and months for the perfect backpack that would be a blend between being rugged, yet fancy, and built to an incredibly high standard with incredibly nice materials. I wanted something that was a blend of waxed canvas and leather. It’s something that I can wear with slacks to the office, a job site, or for a vacation.

7. iPad 11” Pro. Work actually reimbursed me the $1200 or so, but had I of known how much more productive this would be (typing on it now) I would have bought one years ago. The amount of efficiency it has added to my workdays is about worth it’s weight in gold. I can be out on a job site and pull up every drawing, every specification, code, etc. Use it to make action item lists, meeting minute notes, etc.

8. ProSeries Powerblock Dumbbells. These range from 5-70lbs in 5lb increments. They are insanely well built, and were a complete life saver when our gym was shut down for the last two months. When we own a home some day, they’ll be a fantastic addition to a home gym setup.

Big ticket items on my long term list are a nice guitar (likely a Gibson), some guns, weight lifting equipment, and a high end welding machine. We move so much and currently live in an apartment, that I can’t justify spending the money on these right now in the event they may become damaged in storage, and also unable to utilize.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2020, 02:40:04 PM by use2betrix »

big_owl

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #19 on: May 18, 2020, 02:55:25 PM »
Another really good buy I had recently was a pair of Oru folding kayaks.  We have two compact sedans so no way to transport typical kayaks, and we also do a fair but of hiking where we could launch if only we had a way to carry the kayaks a couple miles.  The Oru check all those boxes.  They're very stiff and light - so far so good for us.  They are a bit pricey though, but a lot cheaper than be having to buy a truck or try to figure out a way to store two regular kayaks somewhere in my garage. 

Watchmaker

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #20 on: May 18, 2020, 03:07:02 PM »
4. Quality clothes in general. I have found buying nice denim, shirts, etc. just bring me a lot of happiness and I appreciate the quality. Also, a significant amount of my clothes are made in the U.S. Those not made in the U.S. are typically Canadian or Japanese.

@use2betrix can you provide the names of some of the clothing companies you like?

MudPuppy

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #21 on: May 18, 2020, 03:08:26 PM »
My pizza cutter that looks like the Enterprise.

Plastic swimming pools and some agility items for the dogs to play with at home

MrThatsDifferent

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #22 on: May 18, 2020, 03:27:52 PM »
It's beyond small, but I think it qualifies. I recently bought a new kind of cat toy, the yellow banana catnip toy. I'm sure it was just a couple dollars, but this one toy has provided SOOOOOO much entertainment for the cat, plus has made various humans laugh as well because of how the cat has been going at it. She made a surprise appearance yesterday on the family zoom call because she flung it around enough and landed on the keyboard. So then Arwen made a flying leap onto the keyboard.

Oh my cat loved that thing so much!

MrThatsDifferent

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #23 on: May 18, 2020, 03:30:30 PM »
I’m doing online language lessons with private tutors and it’s so cheap and effective, I’ll never study with formal group classes again.

WSUCoug1994

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #24 on: May 18, 2020, 03:35:26 PM »
My Thermos Travel Coffee Mug - I have had this thing for more than 10 years - keeps my coffee piping hot all day
Bowflex - 552 - adjustable dumbbells - they weren't cheap but I found set on CL many years ago - more valuable than ever for the home gym I have been forced to improve.
My high quality tools - seems like I use my tools everyday - the gift that keeps on giving.

NotJen

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #25 on: May 18, 2020, 03:45:44 PM »
An 8.5 lb turkey a few weeks ago for $8.  Holy cow, it was delicious!  I'm still tickled by how happy it made me.  We ate drumsticks for dinner with the fabulous gravy, I made stock from the bones, had a couple of delish turkey sandwiches, topped a couple of salads with turkey breast, made a batch of turkey mulligatawny soup and a turkey pot pie.  I'm going bigger next time :)

Wrenchturner

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #26 on: May 18, 2020, 04:13:51 PM »
Great thread, entertaining read!

I got a secondary monitor for my laptop.  Between the bluetooth adapters, wireless mouse and second monitor, this $400 laptop just keeps on giving! 

Samuel

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #27 on: May 18, 2020, 04:25:27 PM »
For like ten years I had this crappy metal utensil holder from Ikea. Not something you put in a drawer to hold forks and spoons, something for a countertop to hold wooden spoons, tongs, spatulas, etc. Seriously every time I pulled a utensil out of this holder it would tip over. Every. Time. I never bought something to replace it because, it sort of worked I guess? Then about two years ago I was at target and I saw a nice, big, sturdy, utensil holder. $20. I put it in the cart and told myself not to second guess the purchase. And this silly upgrade has truly improved my cooking enjoyment tenfold. I still get satisfaction from the fact that I can pull a spatula out of this thing without it moving. So yeah, don’t be stupid like me and forego a small purchase out of principle alone.

I have a thousand stories like this. I'm somehow wired to put up with minor annoyances much longer than anyone else would think is reasonable, then eventually kick myself when I realize how little money (often just $20-30) it would take to remove that annoyance from my life. Things like: an auto off LED bedside lamp (vs. an old school incandescent lamp burning away all night after I fell asleep reading), or an electric kettle with temperature settings (vs. just boiling water in the microwave or a saucepan on the stove). Lasik eye surgery is probably the most extreme example of that. Should have done that 15 years earlier than I did.

The single biggest return in happiness for the dollar purchase I can think of was switching out a $125 (used) acoustic guitar I'd had for 7-8 years for a $300 (used) one. I liked the old one fine I guess but eventually decided I deserved something just a little nicer. The difference in playability and tone is night and day. I pick it up way more often than I ever did the old one and I smile every time.

mm1970

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #28 on: May 18, 2020, 04:25:57 PM »
Fitness-wise:
my gym memberships (in the past)
Beachbody on demand (which is now getting a TON of use)
Weights - I had a few sets of dumbbells already, and about 10 years ago got two sets of adjustable.  Boy have I used those, because I always WANT 12.5 and 17.5 lbs, but don't want to pay for them.  Also: 2 kettlebells, but they get less use because I mostly use Beachbody.
Running shoes that fit my feet. I found Altras, yay!
A couple of running books

My blendtec blender
The instant pot.  Use it multiple times per week.
A desk chair for working at home
A hammock for the back yard
A blow up kiddie pool (bought 8 years ago) and a $20 plastic slide from a garage sale.  Can you tell we are stuck at home?

I really want:
a trampoline (alas, no space)
a new oven The current one has one burner that is broken - the big one, and the oven itself doesn't come up to temp about 1/4 of the time.  We'd just been thinking about replacing when COVID happened. (We paid to have the problems diagnosed.  The oven is probably an easy fix, the burner much harder and more expensive.)  Now I'm not only worried but also indecisive on whether we should stick with gas (which I have always used) or switch to electric.

ketchup

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #29 on: May 18, 2020, 04:41:01 PM »
Audible membership.  $15/mo.  Makes my clown commute more bearable.
Weights.  Something like $300 total seven years ago and still paying fitness dividends.
Good (corded) headphones.  Good by my standards at least.  Sixty bucks or so about ten years ago, and I'm wearing them right now.
A $2500 car and an $1800 car instead of our last pair of $700 and $1000 cars.  It makes a difference.

Now I'm not only worried but also indecisive on whether we should stick with gas (which I have always used) or switch to electric.
As someone who had gas their whole life but two years ago switched to electric: you want gas.

FireLane

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #30 on: May 18, 2020, 05:22:20 PM »
After putting up with a massive, ancient beast of a CRT TV for years, we switched to a flatscreen with built-in Roku. It was 100% worth it.

The picture is much better, the sound is much better, we finally have HDMI inputs to connect a laptop, I can use my phone as a remote control, and the free channels we get with Roku are more than enough. Combined with Netflix and Amazon Prime streaming to the screen, I don't miss cable TV one bit.

Also, it was only $250! We got one of the least-fancy smart TVs on the market and it's more than good enough for us.

GreenSheep

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #31 on: May 18, 2020, 06:17:50 PM »
Not me, but a relative -- and I will definitely purchase this when we get our next puppy... Online puppy training school from https://www.baxterandbella.com/ -- tons of videos and interactive sessions, all with a kind, no-force approach to helping your puppy become a well-mannered dog. Also works for older dogs, even though it's marketed to puppies. And they have a free podcast, which is excellent.

For myself, a silicone bread loaf pan. My old aluminum ones stuck to everything (I don't use oil, butter, etc. in any of my cooking), and I was tired of messing with parchment paper. Everything just slides right out of the silicone pan. I'm in the same boat as those who said upthread that they tend to put up with minor annoyances for far too long!

K_in_the_kitchen

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #32 on: May 18, 2020, 06:35:33 PM »
Most recently, it was buying an outdoor ping pong table in early March, as soon as we realized we were all going to be home for quite some time. We have two young adult sons and have talked about buying a table for close to 5 years -- it took a pandemic to make it happen. It gets played multiple times daily, and DH also enjoys taking a break during his workday to play a few rounds. Price went up by $100 within days of our purchase and our model was sold out for awhile, so I'm glad we jumped when we did.

In the kitchen, I have examples of the practical and the luxury. Today I'm baking sourdough sandwich bread with my several years old starter. I mixed the dough this morning in my Ankarsrum/Electrolux mixer, which handles the triple batch (7+ pounds of dough) with ease. I have a tilt-head KitchenAid which could never manage this, and tried out and returned a bowl lift model KA before making the decision on the Ankarsrum. It will last forever. I divided and formed the dough on a large silicone mat (Silpat Roul'Pat) which made adding additional four unnecessary. The bread is now baking in USA Pan large loaf pans, which are the best bread pans I've ever had. I don't have to grease them before putting the dough in, and all it takes to clean them is a quick wipe down. I'll test the internal temperature with a Thermapen, another fantastic purchase.

With the same mixer and the add on grinder attachment, I ground 4# of pork shoulder yesterday (the entire Costco package of pork doesn't fit in my slow cooker). Tomorrow morning I'll use the juicer attachment to make orange juice.

I've cooked 68 dinners in a row now, and also make most of what we eat for breakfast and lunch (granola, yogurt, soups, bread, etc.). I've used a 13 quart Le Creuset round oven most days, and I paid $90 at an outlet way back before The Food Network made them more popular and more expensive. Other great kitchen purchases are our rice maker, Vitamix, vintage electric Dutch oven (perfect for popping corn) and vintage electric griddle (love it!).

But for pure luxury, I would say it was money well spent in 2012 when we bought a Lello Musso Lussino ice cream maker, which is a compressor unit model. During the pandemic I've made simple vanilla ice cream, decadent vanilla ice cream with a real vanilla bean (for a birthday), dulce de leche ice cream (using reconstituted powdered cream and powdered milk), orange sherbet, lemon sorbet (free lemons from neighbors), peach sorbet (from canned fruit), and more. The compressor unit is head and shoulders above the old Cuisinart freezer bowl model we used to have. I almost sold it a couple years ago because we weren't using it much and it was selling used for more than I paid new, but I didn't, and now I'm glad. Our local fancy ice cream place is selling pints to go for $10.

Little things: an adhesive mount toilet paper holder for a tiny bathroom (stuck it to the pedestal sink) in a bathroom that hadn't had a toilet paper holder since we'd moved in (2000) -- it was $14 well spent and only took us 19 years to get. A drain protector for the pop-up clawfoot tub drain (we spent 16 years fussing with cleaning hair out of the drain before I found this). Silicone tongs for flipping meat.

middo

• Handlebar Stache
  • Learning.
« Reply #33 on: May 18, 2020, 06:43:59 PM »
My motorcycle. 

I bought it new.  The first vehicle we have ever bought new.  I bought it just after my wife bought hers.  I have explored so many places on it I would never have seen in a car.  It brings joy to me whenever I ride it.  I haven't ridden much lately with covid-19 lockdowns, and I am starting to get depressed.  I know a few rides will make me feel better again.

Definitely not mustachian, but I do commute on it most of the time (when we were commuting).  7 years on, and it still brings a smile to my face everytime I ride it.

use2betrix

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #34 on: May 18, 2020, 07:02:00 PM »

@use2betrix can you provide the names of some of the clothing companies you like?

Absolutely. What I love about this type of clothing is that not only can you feel and see the quality, but since probably 99% of people have never heard, you know you aren’t paying for the name. To me, I feel that goes a really long way. Another thing that I love, is items like the denim jeans or jacket actually look better as they age. As they get worn in, they get significantly better wearing. Every time I put these jeans on I’m impressed by how they have worn and faded.

A good company that carries a variety of really nice men’s clothes is: https://www.blueowl.us/

Some of my favorite brands are:
3sixteen: US made clothes - their type III jacket in dark shadow selvedge is probably one of the most popular denim jackets you can buy. I have it and love it. The sizing is a bit crazy, I’m about 170 lbs and XXL. Their short sleeve button up shirts are also really nice

Naked & Famous: Canadian brand, great short sleeve button up shirts and denim

Freenote Cloth: American Brand - I have a couple of their flannels and they are incredibly well made. The material is probably 5x heavier than the crappy flannels on amazon for $30. I also have one of their waxed canvas jackets that I love. (Sidenote: Casey, in Yellowstone wears one of their jackets in the show. Most people would never know this)

Japan Blue: Japanese - I have two pairs of these jeans and they are by far more favorite. I bought them from Blueowl.

Iron heart: Japanese - these are probably the most expensive of this type of clothing. I have one long sleeve black denim shirt from here. The quality and fit of this item is probably as high as anyone could ever expect (but yes, you pay for it). In the future, since I won’t need very many more items since they last so long, this may be the brand I mostly purchase in the future. I had been wanting something of theirs forever, and once I finally got the shirt, it reinforced what I thought about their quality being top notch.

Below is a photo of an example of denim wearing in. These are my two pairs of Japan Blue jeans. Since they’re selvedge denim, you rarely wash them, then often just a soak. The dark pair has around 40 wears with never being washed or soaked. The lighter pair has around 300 wears, with a couple washes and a couple soaks.

JoJo

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #35 on: May 18, 2020, 07:39:02 PM »
I have a bit more expensive one... 

My 12 year old car broke down 2.5 years ago, and the cost to replace the engine was close to the value of the car, so I decided to apply that money to something new, picking up a Ford Transit Connect cargo van.  I put a bed in the back and have been van camping a few months a year since... drove all the way to Alaska and Arctic Circle & Ocean, down to spend the winter in the California desert, to several National Parks, etc.

Travis

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #36 on: May 18, 2020, 07:58:25 PM »
The video games and related subscriptions for my son.  Being on the other side of the world this year has severely limited his social interactions with friends and family, but with him and everyone else locked away the last few months he's been able to be entertained and talk to his cousin and friends back home.  We bought him a quality headset for his Playstation. It means he can talk to those friends and play his games without disturbing us, but it also means we have to repeat ourselves sometimes and he doesn't realize how loud he's talking.

Recently added a Network Attached Storage (NAS) to my home network to safely store, index, and serve all of our photos, music, and digitized documents (going paperless by scanning and indexing searchable PDFs).

One of these days I'll splurge on quality storage. I have a stack of external hard drives piled up on my desk for all the files, music, and video I've accumulated.  They're all different storage capacities and I have this weird mix of redundancy where all my data is backed up on two drives, but it's a mix so that when a drive finally dies it's not gone. I want to shrink it down to a single device (or at least a RAID), but so far none of the drives have died.  I have a really cheap PDF scanner that I'm using to gradually back up all of my paper records. 

NV Teacher

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #37 on: May 18, 2020, 08:27:07 PM »
My vitamix.  Years ago I watched a demonstration at Costco, thought about it overnight, and went back and bought one the next day.  Love my morning smoothies. 

Second would be my Singer Featherweight.  It’s beautiful and makes me happy every time I see it.

Frankies Girl

• Magnum Stache
  • Ghouls Just Wanna Have Funds!
« Reply #38 on: May 18, 2020, 09:03:48 PM »
I bought a giant pug dog mask at goodwill last week for a whopping $3. Now I can go out as Pickles Aplenty from Bojack Horseman.

And bonus points I can also make sure I am following mask protocol since it completely encases my head.

This is akin to the people wearing Halloween costumes to walk their dogs or go for a walk - both to be covered and also to give the neighbors something to laugh about.

This makes me very happy.

Chaplin

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #39 on: May 18, 2020, 09:09:40 PM »
Laser eye surgery in 1999. Best money I ever spent.

Beyond that, I've rarely regretted choosing quality over cost.

tjscanlon

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #40 on: May 18, 2020, 09:11:41 PM »
This is an interesting thread and I feel conflicted that one of my first posts is about buying something:-). I am MMM lite but this website and forum has really been a joy to find and follow for the last few years.  I have learned a lot and it has encouraged me to plan out FIRE.  Was thinking we were about 4 years away from FIRE before COVID, maybe now 5.  Came to this mindset a little later in life but hope to be done having to work in about 5 years around 58 yrs old. 

So to the original question - oddly enough one of the best purchases was my Toro Personal Pace lawnmower.  I purchased it maybe 20 yrs ago.  Originally had made a check list of features I wanted such as large back wheels, etc. I can't remember all the items I wanted but a certain off brand at Home Depot hit all the boxes.  Got it home and was excited to try it out - man did it suck!  It met all of my needs except it sucked.  I brought it back and bought a Toro - I couldn't believe how well that thing worked, it was a joy to mow.  Approx 20 years later and it is still going strong.  Pulled it off a shelf in the attic and it started on the first pull.  I was so surprisingly pleased with it at the time I wrote a letter to Toro congratulating them on a job well done.

The other item that has brought me quite a bit of satisfaction is a Yakima Rack and Roll trailer I purchased used.  It is so light and easy to use for our kayaks and super easy to store.  It is just a really well made trailer.  It was expensive, even used on Craigslist, but when I am done using it I think it will be very easy to sell and get much of my money back.

Bloop Bloop

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #41 on: May 18, 2020, 09:49:42 PM »
spent low 6 figures on a sports car

I have enough money to live comfortably and I get a lot of joy out of hearing the engine wail.

Easily pulls 1.1 lateral G's, 1.25 braking G's

A great economy on the highway (40mpg), not so great when being opened up on the twisty roads (9 mpg), but almost always a pleasure to drive.

Modest depreciation since I bought it used and I can deduct most of the running costs and depreciation because it's my "work vehicle" (not really but for tax purposes it legitimately is)

Will set my FIRE date back about 12 mths but I think it's worth it.

Not very aligned with mustachian principles but I disagree with a lot of those principles anyway.

AnnaGrowsAMustache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #42 on: May 18, 2020, 10:16:10 PM »
Bought one of these apple peeler/corer/slicer doodackies. Soooooo handy for canning the dozens of jars of apples I've just put up AND I got it in a thrift store for a few bucks.

Catica

• Bristles
« Reply #43 on: May 19, 2020, 04:43:28 AM »
Do you mind telling me what that toy is?

js82

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #44 on: May 19, 2020, 05:31:59 AM »
Peloton.  Well my wife spent the money actually, but close enough.  It came in very handy after surgery and has gotten a ton of use the past couple months with gyms being all closed down.

My version of this was an indoor trainer for my bike, that let me ride my bike as a stationary bike indoors.

Cost ~$300 up front 6 or so years ago, but:

1) It lets me get on my bike when the weather's terrible(and where I live that's typically October/November through April)
2) I'm currently rehabbing post-foot-surgery in the middle of the pandemic where gyms are closed, and I've been very, very glad that I have it.

I've logged thousands of miles on it, and all things considered, it's been money well spent.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2020, 05:33:39 AM by js82 »

RetiredAt63

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #45 on: May 19, 2020, 05:33:35 AM »
Bought one of these apple peeler/corer/slicer doodackies. Soooooo handy for canning the dozens of jars of apples I've just put up AND I got it in a thrift store for a few bucks.

Does it really stay put on the counter or does it move around?  I'm thinking of getting one.

AnnaGrowsAMustache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #46 on: May 19, 2020, 06:54:52 AM »

Does it really stay put on the counter or does it move around?  I'm thinking of getting one.

I have a wooden counter, so the suction was never going to work. I can't speak to how it would work on another type of counter. I find it quite easy to just hold in place, though. It requires a little effort to turn the handle, not much but my 70 year old friend with arthritis decided against getting one. Also requires a little effort to pull the core off the spike when you're done with an apple, but now I've got a chopstick that I fit behind it and lever it off. All in all, save a frickin shit load of time and effort!

I've seen ones that screw onto the counter like a mincer would, if that's any help. And also, aliexpress has loads of them if you want a good cheapie.

Photograph 51

« Reply #47 on: May 19, 2020, 08:06:18 AM »
53 tomato plants for $7.92

RetiredAt63

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #48 on: May 19, 2020, 08:19:08 AM »

I have a wooden counter, so the suction was never going to work. I can't speak to how it would work on another type of counter. I find it quite easy to just hold in place, though. It requires a little effort to turn the handle, not much but my 70 year old friend with arthritis decided against getting one. Also requires a little effort to pull the core off the spike when you're done with an apple, but now I've got a chopstick that I fit behind it and lever it off. All in all, save a frickin shit load of time and effort!

I've seen ones that screw onto the counter like a mincer would, if that's any help. And also, aliexpress has loads of them if you want a good cheapie.

I have granite (yes I live in a fancy apartment).  Lee Valley has them and anything I have bought at Lee Valley has been quality.  They don't carry cheap stuff.  But given how often I would use it (not a lot) I should check out Aliexpress.

John Galt incarnate!

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #49 on: May 19, 2020, 08:27:40 AM »

I bought a pricey  vegetable peeler to replace my old, cheap, vegetable peeler.

It  has a plastic, more comfortable handle and it peels very well.

I'd buy it again.