Author Topic: The "Money well spent" thread. NO INVESTMENTS ALLOWED.  (Read 128270 times)

jrhampt

• Handlebar Stache
Re: The "Money well spent" thread. NO INVESTMENTS ALLOWED.
« Reply #800 on: November 17, 2022, 09:51:34 AM »
I swear by Uggs in the winter.  Outdoors mostly, but sometimes indoors although I frequently just wear slipper socks indoors.  Very warm and comfortable - I just look for sales.  Other ugly comfortable unisex footwear that I stock up on sale include Birkenstocks (including the shearling lined Arizonas that look ridiculous but feel amazing), Tevas, and Vans slip ons.  Oh, and the Bedrock hiking sandals.

jrhampt

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #801 on: November 17, 2022, 10:06:37 AM »
Other active gear that I use all the time/well worth the money:

Manduka yoga mat + yoga towel for hot yoga (stays put, doesn't slip, hands don't slide everywhere)
Kahtoola micro spikes for winter hikes and runs
REI small day hiking backpack that smushes into nothing and I always take with me when I travel in case hiking breaks out
Collapsible hiking pole (can't remember brand)
Heated couch blanket from Costco for post hikes on the couch (saves on home heating bill too)
Black Dog heavyweight crew neck unisex sweatshirt (indestructable and warm) - you can never have too many sweatshirts but this is my favorite
Carhartt beanie hats - cheap, warm, easy to pack, doesn't leave weird marks on my forehead
Adidas terrex 2 parley ultra trail runners with continental tire sole - multipurpose shoe for running and hiking when traveling, light w great traction
Kiel james patrick unisex wool barn coats/flannel shackets

zolotiyeruki

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #802 on: November 17, 2022, 11:13:11 AM »
A few years ago, I finished our basement.  It's about 1250 square feet of finished space, plus utility, storage, and workshop space.  It cost us about $16k all in, and a year of my labor.  And it has been glorious.  Why would we need another 1200 sq ft of living space when we already have 3400 sq ft on the other two floors?  Here's why:

1) DW hosts a homeschool co-op that meets weekly.  Especially in the winter months, that extra space is a godsend.
2) The guest bedroom gets regular use.  We get guests 5-10x per year, but because I put extra insulation in the walls and ceiling around it, it's also a quiet place that's good for instrument practice for our kids.
3) The extra bathroom!  We have six kids, three of whom are now teenagers.  Previously, all six shared a single (ridiculous six-piece, three-door) bathroom.
4) It's a theater!  Previously, our master bedroom doubled as the theater, and we had a bedsheet hung over the windows for several years.  Now, the projector is in the basement.
5) We teach an early morning Bible study class for high school students, and being able to do it in our own home is a tremendous help.
6) I now have a climate-controlled, indoor workshop for the winter, including a utility sink so I don't have to rinse out paint brushes or rollers in the kitchen sink.

Unionville

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #803 on: November 23, 2022, 06:21:33 PM »
Kungfu classes - it's the first "physical activity" I've every enjoyed in my life.  Who'd a thought.

jlcnuke

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #804 on: November 24, 2022, 05:57:11 AM »
I recently upgraded my computer by building a completely new gaming computer setup with new monitors as well. Very happy with it.

Metalcat

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #805 on: November 24, 2022, 06:47:26 AM »
Prolotherapy.

It costs me $500 out of pocket every 4-6 weeks and hurts like a mofo, but in my body, that shit works.

big_owl

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #806 on: November 24, 2022, 01:30:09 PM »
I no longer do my own painting or drywall work.  It's relatively cheap to hire someone to do that stuff and they do it faster and better.  I'll never paint another room in my house again. I do carpentry and trim work still though.   

monarda

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #807 on: November 24, 2022, 01:49:16 PM »
We've been shopping for a new sofa on and off for about 5 years.
We finally bought one off of FB marketplace. Very gently used (about 4 months old) and sold at a great price. Local furniture maker sectional, probably retails over $3K or maybe more?, we got for $1200.

CrustyBadger

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #808 on: November 26, 2022, 08:33:21 AM »
I have two entries to this category, from a caregiver's perspective:

If a male needs a handheld urinal, I highly recommend this one, even though it is $50.

https://www.amazon.com/Male-Comfort-Fit-Advantage-Urinal/dp/B003LUDNIM

This is a major quality of life improvement for a caregiver, because it doesn't sit by the bedside, waiting to be emptied (or spilled); and it can be used multiple times before needing to be cleaned.  The urine empties into a bag, so less smell.  I keep the bag under the bed, in a plastic bin, so any occasional spills are contained as well. I like it so much, I bought 4. We use one by the bed, and one at the table (so husband is independently able to use it instead of needing to call someone for assistance) and have two more draining and airing out.  They last about 3 months but by rotating them, I make four last about 12 months. So $200/year.  A plain handheld plastic urinal is probably $5 or so or you can just use what they give you in the hospital, so it's a significant expense, but the quality of life boost is worth every penny.

The other major expense I feel is worth it has been  Medical Guardian Medical Alert System.  This system is a lot more expensive than others. It's about $750/yearly subscription. However, every time we have had to use it (for a test or for real) they have responded quickly and effectively.  It's the kind of thing you don't ever want to have to use, but when you have to use it you want to be absolutely sure it works as intended.

RWTL

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #809 on: November 30, 2022, 01:15:59 PM »
Recently bought a Uni Kuru Toga mechanical pencil for about $10.  Very cool pencil that has a mechanism inside that keeps the lead constantly rotating and sharp.

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #810 on: November 30, 2022, 01:49:36 PM »
Recently bought a Uni Kuru Toga mechanical pencil for about $10.  Very cool pencil that has a mechanism inside that keeps the lead constantly rotating and sharp.

Best mechanical pencil ever!  These are possibly the greatest feat of engineering ever devised by humanity.

zolotiyeruki

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #811 on: November 30, 2022, 03:03:16 PM »

Best mechanical pencil ever!  These are possibly the greatest feat of engineering ever devised by humanity.
Ok, now you piqued my interest.  How well would one of these hold up to being carried daily in my cargo pants pockets?

RWTL

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #812 on: November 30, 2022, 03:26:48 PM »

Ok, now you piqued my interest.  How well would one of these hold up to being carried daily in my cargo pants pockets?

I'm not sure about that.  I read somewhere that you have to be careful with it and store it in a case if you are going to do something like that.

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #813 on: November 30, 2022, 03:39:04 PM »

I'm not sure about that.  I read somewhere that you have to be careful with it and store it in a case if you are going to do something like that.

Nah, you'll be fine.  Just make sure you push the tip in before storage.  I drag these pencils everywhere along with my book of lyrics and they have held up great as long as you don't crush the plastic tube.

Alternatepriorities

• Handlebar Stache
  • Engineer, explorer, investor
    • Alternate Priorities
« Reply #814 on: November 30, 2022, 03:56:46 PM »
A couple years ago I bought a blaze king wood stove. It's a very efficient stove though I did choose to sacrifice a little efficiency for a larger glass door to watch the fire. Even with the low quality wood in AK, each stove load burns about twice as long as in the previous stove. As an added bonus it still works when the power goes out.

This thread just happened to pop up while I sit next to stove and look outside at the 0 degrees winter...

LennStar

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #815 on: November 30, 2022, 11:30:43 PM »

Didn't know such a thing exists! And of course invented by Japanese.

sonofsven

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #816 on: December 01, 2022, 07:29:26 AM »
A couple years ago I bought a blaze king wood stove. It's a very efficient stove though I did choose to sacrifice a little efficiency for a larger glass door to watch the fire. Even with the low quality wood in AK, each stove load burns about twice as long as in the previous stove. As an added bonus it still works when the power goes out.

This thread just happened to pop up while I sit next to stove and look outside at the 0 degrees winter...
I never thought about the wood in AK, what is the best species for firewood? I'm a dedicated wood scrounger here in OR. Fir is the obvious go to but I've been burning laurel (from overgrown hedges), holly, cherry, and big leaf maple a lot , plus the always available alder, and hemlock.
The one I stay away from is spruce (I'm on the coast). Splitting it is ridiculous.

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #817 on: December 01, 2022, 07:48:59 AM »

Between 1985-1990, I was a sales representative for Scripto-Tokai Corp, maker of mechanical pencils of varying quality. When I left, I kept a box of the best ones, which are still in use today. Hmmm, maybe there's another thread where I can brag on them....

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #818 on: December 01, 2022, 08:57:16 AM »

Between 1985-1990, I was a sales representative for Scripto-Tokai Corp, maker of mechanical pencils of varying quality. When I left, I kept a box of the best ones, which are still in use today. Hmmm, maybe there's another thread where I can brag on them....

Was scripto-Tokai related to Tokai the guitar manufacturer?  They did some cool . . . uh . . . let's call them 'tribute' guitars:

Arbitrage

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #819 on: December 05, 2022, 09:37:15 AM »
Okay, I'll hop in with what I consider to be my vice these days: high-quality outdoor clothing. 

In line with my general FIRE philosophy, I tried to 'cheap out' at first when I started really getting back into outdoor activities.  Unfortunately, the backpack didn't hold up, the rain gear all soaked through, the kayak gloves were uncomfortable and didn't keep me warm, the wetsuit didn't fit well and quickly fell apart, the hiking shoes got holes in them...

When endeavoring to live an outdoor-focused, car-free lifestyle, clothing that keeps you as comfortable as possible while braving the elements is important to keep you motivated to get back outside.  My experience thus far is that carefully chosen pieces of high quality gear make a big difference.  That outer layer needs to be full-on waterproof.  Insulating midlayers need to breathe when you're active.  I have an outer shell by Arc'teryx.  A midlayer by Patagonia.  Gore'tex hiking shoes by Salomon.  Rain pants, socks, balaclava, and gloves by Showers Pass.  Kayaking gear by NRS.  Hiking backpack by Osprey.  The stuff works.  By and large, the cheap stuff didn't. 

Where possible, I've scoured used listings (spending FAR too much time doing so) to acquire this gear, but have relented on several occasions when I've found a good sale on new gear. 

My challenge remains to tamp down on the desire to acquire more high-quality gear; I need to restrict this spending to the stuff that really makes a difference in my life. 
« Last Edit: December 05, 2022, 09:39:37 AM by Arbitrage »

RWTL

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #820 on: December 05, 2022, 03:03:42 PM »

My challenge remains to tamp down on the desire to acquire more high-quality gear; I need to restrict this spending to the stuff that really makes a difference in my life.

I think it is smart to buy high quality gear rather than churn through a bunch of low quality items.  I don't have any issue with spending lavishly on things that I will use and truly enjoy over time.

bmjohnson35

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #821 on: December 05, 2022, 03:41:27 PM »

I recently bought a 1/2" Ryobi electric high torque impact gun.  I got a great deal at Home Depot.  I used it for some work I was doing on my daughters car.  Removing larger tight hardware is much easier, safer and faster.  The trigger is sensitive enough to lightly tighten the bolts/nuts back on, without over torquing them. I don't know why I haven't bought one before now.

Metalcat

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #822 on: December 05, 2022, 03:47:15 PM »

I think it is smart to buy high quality gear rather than churn through a bunch of low quality items.  I don't have any issue with spending lavishly on things that I will use and truly enjoy over time.

Yeah. If good outdoor gear gets you outside more, it's 100% worth the investment in most cases.

We have no limits on our gear buying. We obviously look for the most affordable options, but if we need a high quality item to comfortably get outside in weather that happens where we live, then we get those items.

And we live in two locations with some of the most extreme weather in the world. So yeah, we have more gear than we do normal clothes, and we get outside A LOT.

zolotiyeruki

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #823 on: December 06, 2022, 07:44:52 PM »

I recently bought a 1/2" Ryobi electric high torque impact gun.  I got a great deal at Home Depot.  I used it for some work I was doing on my daughters car.  Removing larger tight hardware is much easier, safer and faster.  The trigger is sensitive enough to lightly tighten the bolts/nuts back on, without over torquing them. I don't know why I haven't bought one before now.
I got one about a year ago, and it's been awesome.  I previously had an old second-hand corded electric impact wrench, which was also good, but the convenience of the battery-powered one is pretty freaking sweet.

vand

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #824 on: January 19, 2023, 03:12:14 AM »
My wife got me a $30 coffee grinder - so now I grind my own beans for a superior coffee with decent head of crema each time. It's a definitely improvement on pre-ground stuff. Love it.

joe189man

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #825 on: January 19, 2023, 11:19:28 AM »
A suppressor for my elk hunting rifle. Save my hearing is priceless. Allows for followup shots because it scares animals much less.

i have a muzzle break on my new rifle, and its loud, what kind of suppressor did you get?

joe189man

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #826 on: January 19, 2023, 11:20:01 AM »
i think i have said this before but Revtown jeans are incredible

GilesMM

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #827 on: January 22, 2023, 02:13:26 PM »
Inversion table cured my five months of sciatica in a week and cost less than a single session of PT (not to mention x-ray, MRI, etc).

RWTL

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #828 on: January 22, 2023, 03:52:01 PM »
Inversion table cured my five months of sciatica in a week and cost less than a single session of PT (not to mention x-ray, MRI, etc).

I've always been curious about these. 

2Birds1Stone

• Walrus Stache
  • K Thnx Bye
« Reply #829 on: January 22, 2023, 06:23:45 PM »

They end up as somewhere to hang clothing for 99% of purchasers.

GilesMM

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #830 on: January 22, 2023, 07:08:01 PM »

Is this something you read?

Phenix

• Bristles
« Reply #831 on: January 23, 2023, 12:38:19 PM »

Is this something you read?

I imagine it's just an assumption. I assume treadmills are very similar.

Metalcat

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #832 on: January 25, 2023, 01:04:58 PM »
Breg cryotherapy machine, plus splitter and knee and hip pads.

Best purchase ever, seriously. I don't know how people get through this brutal surgery without it. Cost about $1000 for everything, so I understand why a lot of people who are in their 30s and off work for several months can't afford a cryotherapy machine compared to a $60 ice pad that can just be tossed into the freezer, but man, this thing is my life right now.

Also the nearly $1000 worth of pillows I've collected.

vand

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #833 on: July 11, 2023, 03:20:20 PM »
We have spent just a little bit of money doing up our backyard & garden this year.  Flattened the back area and built a nice little patio, knocked down the dilapidated old shed and erected a much sturdier one that will hopefully last for many years, and now completely renovating the lawn - I WILL have the flattest and greenest lawn in the neighbourhood lol

All in all it's been about $3k (and a lot of elbow grease) and I couldn't be happier.  Even bought a tacky solar powered water fountain that really tops it off.

mspym

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #834 on: July 11, 2023, 05:29:35 PM »
My parents came to visit for 6 days so my partner hired a house in the mountains for two nights in the middle of the visit and it was the best idea ever. Sure, it cost more than our weekly rent but in terms of breaking up the visit, giving us a Thing To Do, and making the trip really special for them while we said goodbye to this part of the world, it was worth every cent.

jnw

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #835 on: July 11, 2023, 05:36:34 PM »
$45 water flosser for my nephew and niece.

pasadenafr

• Bristles
« Reply #836 on: July 12, 2023, 10:22:39 AM »
A few purchases that I made in the past year or so for which my only regret is not to have bought them earlier:

* My Air Fryer (Cosori Dual Blaze). This thing now cooks about 90% of my meals and has saved me so much time and effort it's not even funny. Also probably money because I don't use my oven anymore, and I waste a lot less food because I find it a lot easier to cook it - so no more food rotting in the fridge. Bought it during Prime Day last year and OMG YES. The only thing it's made me lost is pounds.

* My new home office. Entirely revamped in January, partially paid for by my employer (nice perk). The whole overhaul probably cost me about $1.5k. I'm now much more productive and motivated, and feel much better - more active, less back pain, a lot less leg swelling. Stand-up desk, monitor arm, new headset, new face-punch-worthy office chair (Herman Miller), mucho stuff, Ikea shelving, and most importantly...

* My buzzwordy, gimmicky, ridiculously first-world-y under-desk walking treadmill. I still shake my head at the idea of it, but I wanna marry it.

Oh, and it's not *exactly* spent money, but I loaned $50k to my sister so she could buy her future retirement home in our home country. I now own a few square feet of this little house right next to the ocean, so now we have a vacation home for the next few years, a backup plan for my parents should old age push them out of their current home, and my family is happy. Plus, I'm getting interest lol.

CountToFI

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #837 on: July 23, 2023, 10:12:55 AM »
Some big splurges over the last couple of years that get regular use, keep me active, and get me outside

Nikon Z7

Full suspension bike for mountain biking

Fenix 6 Pro

Surfboard

While the price tags were painful to swallow, these items have brought hours and hours of joy

draco44

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #838 on: July 24, 2023, 11:38:37 AM »
My kayak. So much fun! And mostly a one-time expense since it's not a motorized boat.

vand

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #839 on: December 28, 2023, 02:21:17 AM »
Christmas present to myself was a electric milk frother - $40 and it's absolutely amazing.  Shop quality hot frothed milk at the press of a button (make sure you use full fat).

No longer have to rely on that stupid built-in frother snout thing on the coffee machine which was, let's face it, never up to the task.

Ironically I've given up caffeine since a few months ago, but have switched to decaf so still make plenty of use of it.

RWTL

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #840 on: December 28, 2023, 03:45:41 AM »
Christmas present to myself was a electric milk frother - $40 and it's absolutely amazing.  Shop quality hot frothed milk at the press of a button (make sure you use full fat).

No longer have to rely on that stupid built-in frother snout thing on the coffee machine which was, let's face it, never up to the task.

Ironically I've given up caffeine since a few months ago, but have switched to decaf so still make plenty of use of it.

I saw that Nespresso had something similar to this and was wondering if they were any good.  Glad to know your experience.

iluvzbeach

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #842 on: December 28, 2023, 09:50:49 AM »
This is the one I use and have used for years. I really like that it’s stainless steel with no Teflon coating & that the pitcher doesn’t have any motor parts (easy to clean).

Secura Detachable Milk Frother, 17oz Electric Milk Steamer Stainless Steel, Automatic Hot/Cold Foam and Hot Chocolate Maker with 2 in 1 Function Whisks (Upgraded) https://a.co/d/0t4L5OH

glacio09

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #843 on: December 28, 2023, 09:52:51 AM »
I got a hotel and a rental car for the week long trip to visit my family for Christmas. Best money spent ever.

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #844 on: December 28, 2023, 03:53:56 PM »
Can't you just put hot milk in a Mason jar and shake?  It works well for me . . .

Alternatepriorities

• Handlebar Stache
  • Engineer, explorer, investor
    • Alternate Priorities
« Reply #845 on: December 28, 2023, 04:40:45 PM »
Can't you just put hot milk in a Mason jar and shake?  It works well for me . . .

Despite having made whipped cream and butter this way it never occurred to me for frothing milk. I will have to try it. 

pasadenafr

• Bristles
« Reply #846 on: December 28, 2023, 05:18:06 PM »
I bought the ugliest "blanket hoodies" a few weeks ago and I'm loving them, as long as nobody sees me. Those things are saving me a lot of money in heating and keeping me toasty when I spend all day sitting at my desk (until I have to turn my camera on for meetings).

Best $50 I spent this year.

cannotWAIT

• Stubble
« Reply #847 on: December 28, 2023, 05:29:07 PM »
I have been taking weekly Pilates reformer classes for I think almost a year now. That's about $700/year. To spend that much on an EXERCISE CLASS is so wildly out of character for me I can't tell you, but I have never in my almost six decades felt so good in my body. And I'm delighted with the way I look, too. I would venture to say it is the best money I've ever spent in my life. I definitely have no intention of ever stopping.

Metalcat

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #848 on: December 29, 2023, 06:35:48 AM »
I have been taking weekly Pilates reformer classes for I think almost a year now. That's about $700/year. To spend that much on an EXERCISE CLASS is so wildly out of character for me I can't tell you, but I have never in my almost six decades felt so good in my body. And I'm delighted with the way I look, too. I would venture to say it is the best money I've ever spent in my life. I definitely have no intention of ever stopping.

Pilates is awesome. My DH was only doing weights and cycling and I prodded him to try Pilates for years. Now he's hooked and as you said, he's never felt so good in his body, and he's never looked better. Reformer Pilates is next level.

I can no longer do Pilates because my legs don't work, but I miss it.

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #849 on: December 29, 2023, 09:50:41 AM »

I saw that Nespresso had something similar to this and was wondering if they were any good.  Glad to know your experience.
I have a Nespresso frother and I like it. Like, not love. However, I got it at a Thrift Store: for the price I paid, I absolutely adore it!