Author Topic: The "Money well spent" thread. NO INVESTMENTS ALLOWED.  (Read 124464 times)

Sandi_k

• Handlebar Stache
Re: The "Money well spent" thread. NO INVESTMENTS ALLOWED.
« Reply #650 on: October 22, 2021, 08:52:59 AM »
We got one of these pricy bastards...

https://www.geappliances.com/appliance/GE-Profile-Opal-Nugget-Ice-Maker-with-Side-Tank-OPAL01GEPKT?gclid=CjwKCAjwwsmLBhACEiwANq-tXGD7P1vSDoDpjYtH4am_dy-8mY6JocsGPZF0--4aghAK6-co0oKO2xoCKaEQAvD_BwE

I have never consumed more water in a year in my life. I haven't had a diet soda in almost 4 months. And I partially owe it to how delicious water is with these ice cold tiny nuggets floating around in your drink. When people come over, it is the one thing we own that they get visibly jealous of. And our ice cube container is always empty when they leave. Yes, it is a ridiculous purchase in many ways, but my wife and I adore it.

Ha! We use ours to make real Mai Tais. The crushed ice is a requirement for the Real Thing.

ChickenStash

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #651 on: October 22, 2021, 09:29:07 AM »
A new mattress with an adjustable base. It was expensive but it's hard to a price on a good night's sleep. Combined with the CPAP from my recent sleep apnea diagnosis, I'm actually getting close to a normal level of sleep.

TomTX

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #652 on: October 23, 2021, 11:38:58 AM »
@ShastaFire Hi, a question please. 

Where did you get super lightweight comfortable spectacles from?  The bridge of my nose is constantly sore and I’m alternating all my eyeglasses.

My lightweight and comfortable spectacles are from Zenni Optical online. I only pay for the slowest shipping, of course.

TomTX

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #653 on: October 23, 2021, 02:18:34 PM »
*raises hand*  Yup, I have a 24" monitor in portrait mode on my desktop at work.  It's amazing for writing code.

I've run 2x 24" in portrait mode for years at work. Plus the laptop screen in landscape.

I've had numerous instances of "How do I get monitors like THOSE?!"

"Umm, rotate the standard monitor(s) you already have. The release is *here* on the back."

JoePublic3.14

• Bristles
« Reply #654 on: October 23, 2021, 03:02:32 PM »
The block of locally made cheddar seasoned with jerk spices from the fancy (expensive) market. Totally worth the splurge.

You can’t splurge on cheese. Any dollar spent on cheese was simply a necessity.

I don’t like too many flavored cheeses, but jerk sounds interesting.

LennStar

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #655 on: October 24, 2021, 09:35:19 AM »
*raises hand*  Yup, I have a 24" monitor in portrait mode on my desktop at work.  It's amazing for writing code.

I've run 2x 24" in portrait mode for years at work. Plus the laptop screen in landscape.

"Umm, rotate the standard monitor(s) you already have. The release is *here* on the back."
Most monitors don't have that though.
I would like to be able to do this too, but I am not going to buy a new one just for that.

PDXTabs

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #656 on: October 24, 2021, 03:12:49 PM »

I would like to be able to do this too, but I am not going to buy a new one just for that.

Almost all monitors have a VESA mount in the back if nothing else. So you can mount it to a wide variety of different stands:
https://www.ergotron.com/en-us/support/vesa-standard

Extramedium

• Stubble
« Reply #657 on: October 24, 2021, 09:25:01 PM »
Breeo X24 fancy fire pit for the back yard.  We love having fires to gather around with friends.  Did get a good deal on it, but no apologies, we love it.

Phenix

• Bristles
« Reply #658 on: October 25, 2021, 06:26:20 AM »
Breeo X24 fancy fire pit for the back yard.  We love having fires to gather around with friends.  Did get a good deal on it, but no apologies, we love it.

Is it truly smokeless?  I've been tempted to get one as we do have a good amount of fires when we entertain and not having to deal with moving around the fire as the wind shifts directions is very appealing.

Extramedium

• Stubble
« Reply #659 on: October 25, 2021, 12:19:07 PM »

Is it truly smokeless?  I've been tempted to get one as we do have a good amount of fires when we entertain and not having to deal with moving around the fire as the wind shifts directions is very appealing.

Once the fire is hot enough, it is smokeless (of course, unless your wood is wet).  It's functionally the same as a Solo Stove, but I think it looks better.

Rural

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #660 on: October 25, 2021, 03:41:57 PM »
Last week we paid someone else over $1K to put a new engine (old one was dead) in our old Wrangler instead of husband doing it himself. Totally worth it.

Kris

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #661 on: October 25, 2021, 03:50:04 PM »
I bought some shampoo and conditioner from my hair salon a couple of weeks ago, recommended by my stylist. Not only is it doing amazing things to my hair, it smells wonderful. It makes me so happy ro smell every time I put it on in the shower, and then several times a day as I catch a whiff of the fragrance in my hair. The pleasure makes it well worth the money.

life_travel

• Stubble
« Reply #662 on: October 25, 2021, 08:56:25 PM »
A firm $70 pillow. For years I slept just on $5 pillows and actually liked them, and preferred really low ones.
However in the last few months I noticed that my back was getting sore on a low pillow and I added a second one which worked for a few weeks but wasn't ideal.
My husband actually had above-mentioned $70 pillow for 2 years so I " borrowed" his for 1 week and decided , yep, I want one too!

Sandi_k

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #663 on: October 25, 2021, 11:09:54 PM »
I bought some shampoo and conditioner from my hair salon a couple of weeks ago, recommended by my stylist. Not only is it doing amazing things to my hair, it smells wonderful. It makes me so happy ro smell every time I put it on in the shower, and then several times a day as I catch a whiff of the fragrance in my hair. The pleasure makes it well worth the money.

Well, now you need to tell us what brand it is, and why it works well on your hair. Curly defrizz? Body for straight?

YttriumNitrate

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #664 on: October 27, 2021, 12:46:36 PM »
I picked up this thing on Sunday and immediately made an 85% return on my money. When the drains of my house started backing up, I called three plumbers / roto-rooter companies. Of the three, only one called me back and they wanted an eye-popping $500 to clear the clog. I bought the auger for $270 and had the mainline of the house cleared in about 15 minutes.

https://www.harborfreight.com/50-ft-compact-electric-drain-cleaner-68285.html?_br_psugg_q=drain+snake

Fomerly known as something

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #665 on: October 27, 2021, 10:32:15 PM »
Just booked 3 nights at the Ranch at Death Valley and 3 nights at the Rush Inn near Yosemite. 

rocketpj

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #666 on: October 29, 2021, 09:30:50 PM »
$400/year to play hockey with a bunch of other middle aged farts once a week.  A bargain at twice the price, which it thankfully isn't.

stoaX

• Handlebar Stache
  • 'tis nothing good nor bad but thinking makes it so
« Reply #667 on: October 30, 2021, 05:02:10 AM »
$400/year to play hockey with a bunch of other middle aged farts once a week.  A bargain at twice the price, which it thankfully isn't.

Congrats on getting such a bargain!  I am paying almost twice that in a mcol area and yes, I consider it money well spent.

TomTX

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #668 on: October 30, 2021, 08:44:05 AM »

[citation needed] - at least 3 different generations of cheap LCD monitors at work have this feature. I've never found one at work which does not. 

At least the last several personal monitors I have had can do this.

The release to rotate is often not obvious. I suggest looking at the manual.

rocketpj

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #669 on: October 30, 2021, 07:19:19 PM »

Congrats on getting such a bargain!  I am paying almost twice that in a mcol area and yes, I consider it money well spent.

Someone on the team always brings beer, which are $3/each in the dressing room.  I suspect that goes a long way to covering additional costs.  I actually do pay double because I play twice/wk but didn't want to complicate the post ;)

Duke03

• Bristles
« Reply #670 on: November 01, 2021, 07:07:33 PM »
I love cowboy boots and for the money you can not beat Anderson Bean boots.  They are one of the last boot makers that are still hand made in America and Texas at that!!!  They are so comfortable.  I have several pairs, because honestly I'd pay 3x what they charge and I always get compliments every time I wear them.

DadJokes

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #671 on: November 02, 2021, 06:30:01 AM »

Rec sports is almost always money well spent for me. I play softball 3/4 of the year and have sprinkled in other sports here and there as well.

I can't be bothered to go to a gym, go for a run, or ride a bike (usually), but I'll give it 100% when doing something competitive.

zolotiyeruki

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #672 on: November 02, 2021, 07:46:51 AM »
My '95 Corolla.  DW (then fiancee) and I bought it in 2003 with 87k miles on it.  18.5 years and 156,000 miles later, it still runs fantastic, even if it's starting to rust.  Not only has it provided economical and reliable transportation, it has given me an opportunity to learn all sorts of car maintenance and repair over the years, from reupholstering the headliner to replacing 25-year-old shocks to changing timing belts.

It has also given me an appreciation for vehicles that have lots of space in the engine bay :)

LennStar

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #673 on: November 02, 2021, 08:42:31 AM »
My '95 Corolla.  DW (then fiancee) and I bought it in 2003 with 87k miles on it.  18.5 years and 156,000 miles later, it still runs fantastic, even if it's starting to rust.  Not only has it provided economical and reliable transportation, it has given me an opportunity to learn all sorts of car maintenance and repair over the years, from reupholstering the headliner to replacing 25-year-old shocks to changing timing belts.

It has also given me an appreciation for vehicles that have lots of space in the engine bay :)
But not in other places? ;)

zolotiyeruki

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #674 on: November 02, 2021, 09:45:09 AM »

But not in other places? ;)
Well, I *do* appreciate the positively massive quantities of cargo our minivan can hold, on top of our family of 8...

FireLane

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #675 on: November 30, 2021, 07:09:40 PM »
For a small splurge, I got these direct-trade (even better than fair-trade) chocolate discs from Taza:

https://www.tazachocolate.com/collections/discs/products/sampler

They dissolve in hot water, becoming a tasty drink that's not too sweet. It's chocolate the way the indigenous people who introduced it to the world originally consumed it.

MudPuppy

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #676 on: December 01, 2021, 09:39:13 AM »
Oh these would be a great gift

vand

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #677 on: February 05, 2022, 07:35:53 AM »
Very happy with the couple of hundred bucks we just spent on a new coffee machine.

We had one ages ago but it was a bit naff, so got rid of it and have sort of been getting by on filtered and instant coffee, with the odd stovetop.

The new one is great - nothing fancy, but easy to use, refill and clean.

2Birds1Stone

• Walrus Stache
  • K Thnx Bye
« Reply #678 on: February 05, 2022, 07:58:36 AM »
Double paying for accommodations. Keeping our apartment in the frozen north while hopping around short term rentals in the SE USA during the winter months. No ragrets.

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #679 on: February 05, 2022, 08:13:10 AM »
Double paying for accommodations. Keeping our apartment in the frozen north while hopping around short term rentals in the SE USA during the winter months. No ragrets.
Not permanent ones, anyway.

ysette9

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #680 on: February 05, 2022, 08:51:15 AM »
I bought myself a piano recently. I wanted a digital piano for a while for various reasons including wanting to practice with headphones while others are asleep. I figured the Clavinova line by Yamaha would be the winning ticket.

I went to the showroom and sat down at the first Clavinova. In a couple of seconds I knew it wasn’t for me so I moved up to the next other model and repeated the process. I got to the most expensive model and still wasn’t thrilled. Then the lady at the showroom showed me what is called a hybrid piano- acoustic action with digital sound production. At first touch I knew this was what I had been looking for. I ended up purchasing a Casio with a grand piano action in part because it was in stock while the Yamahas have the same supply chain issues as car manufacturers. Compared to a digital piano or a cheap acoustic it was expensive. Compared to a grand it was dirt cheap. Regardless I’m thrilled with it and am enjoying playing piano more than I ever have in the past.

PMG

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #681 on: February 05, 2022, 09:57:13 AM »
@ysette9

You made me think of some of the best money I’ve spent recently! It’s still early to tell if it’s long term amazing, but I think it will be. 

My husband has been talking about taking piano lessons for more than a year, two years? He did voice lessons and joined a choir… but he kept coming back to piano.  We shopped several times for a digital keyboard but didn’t find anything to was good enough, but inexpensive enough … just before Christmas I managed to find one on Marketplace. Managed to sneak it home, wrap and hide it in our tiny house without him finding it for a couple weeks!  I arranged for piano lessons and got his started books and… gave it to him for Christmas.  It was perfect.  He is delighted. Only a month into lessons, but he’s enjoying the heck out of it. 

That was more than we ever spend on gifts. And more than either of us usually spends without talking to the other, but we had talked about it quite a bit before, and I knew it was a serious want, not just a passing fancy. It still felt like a risk!  And I didn’t want to put too much pressure on him… but it’s turned out so well and I’m getting so much joy out of his joy. 

It looks like piano lessons will stay in the budget for a while.

We should have just done it a year ago…

elaine amj

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #682 on: February 05, 2022, 10:08:05 AM »
I bought myself a piano recently. I wanted a digital piano for a while for various reasons including wanting to practice with headphones while others are asleep. I figured the Clavinova line by Yamaha would be the winning ticket.

I went to the showroom and sat down at the first Clavinova. In a couple of seconds I knew it wasn’t for me so I moved up to the next other model and repeated the process. I got to the most expensive model and still wasn’t thrilled. Then the lady at the showroom showed me what is called a hybrid piano- acoustic action with digital sound production. At first touch I knew this was what I had been looking for. I ended up purchasing a Casio with a grand piano action in part because it was in stock while the Yamahas have the same supply chain issues as car manufacturers. Compared to a digital piano or a cheap acoustic it was expensive. Compared to a grand it was dirt cheap. Regardless I’m thrilled with it and am enjoying playing piano more than I ever have in the past.
My mother loves her digital piano too. I love that she can play whenever she wants (with her headphones on at night!). It sure made me giggle when I discovered how loud it is to plonk on piano keys lol (her piano is under my bed). Still better than hearing the piano when trying to sleep. Actually I don’t really mind falling to sleep to actual music. She just tends to like learning new stuff late at night and that does not make for bedtime lullabies lol. I’m just happy she’s happy (and that I can still sleep!)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AMandM

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #683 on: February 05, 2022, 02:39:17 PM »
I just spent $35 on LED lights that go under my kitchen cabinets. Before, the only light was a ceiling fixture, so when you stood at the counter, you cast a shadow on your work. Now I can see what I am chopping!

Dr Kidstache

• Bristles
« Reply #684 on: February 05, 2022, 02:47:26 PM »

I have a Kawai digital piano and tell everyone to check out digital pianos now. They're just amazing and so much cheaper to buy/maintain than acoustic pianos. I have a lower range Kawai and it still plays better than any of the acoustic pianos that I had in the past. What a revolution!

ysette9

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #685 on: February 05, 2022, 04:37:29 PM »

I have a Kawai digital piano and tell everyone to check out digital pianos now. They're just amazing and so much cheaper to buy/maintain than acoustic pianos. I have a lower range Kawai and it still plays better than any of the acoustic pianos that I had in the past. What a revolution!
Compared to the somewhat basic upright acoustic I had before I love the feel of the action and range of expression. My pp is more pianissimo and my ff is more forte with some really rich bass. What a pleasure.

MrsSpendyPants

• Stubble
« Reply #686 on: February 05, 2022, 08:15:28 PM »
My Bosch 800 series dishwasher.  I can put baked on dishes straight from the oven into them without soaking at all and it cleans them.  Silent and amazing.  I didn't clean the dishes for ten years prior to getting this dishwasher (DH did all of the dishwashing) and since we got it I've been taking care of loading and unloading.  It's awesome!

ysette9

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #687 on: February 05, 2022, 10:34:59 PM »
My Bosch 800 series dishwasher.  I can put baked on dishes straight from the oven into them without soaking at all and it cleans them.  Silent and amazing.  I didn't clean the dishes for ten years prior to getting this dishwasher (DH did all of the dishwashing) and since we got it I've been taking care of loading and unloading.  It's awesome!
This is one of them with the third rack? I have a Bosch dishwasher on my wish list for my kitchen remodel. Quiet, effective, and with the third rack you can put so many dishes into it. Way better than what we have now.

Fomerly known as something

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #688 on: February 05, 2022, 11:01:54 PM »
Moved to the North Bay (San Francisco area).  I like hiking and wine, I’m having a good time.

Trifle

• Walrus Stache
    • In The Garden
« Reply #689 on: February 06, 2022, 04:49:10 AM »

Another vote for digital pianos!  Last summer we bought a used Kawai on Craigslist for our son, who was just starting piano lessons.  It's amazing -- compact, excellent sound, wooden keys, proper weighting and action.  For 1/10 the price of what an acoustic piano would cost.  Money very, very well spent. 

LennStar

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #690 on: February 06, 2022, 08:42:57 AM »
This is one of them with the third rack? I have a Bosch dishwasher on my wish list for my kitchen remodel. Quiet, effective, and with the third rack you can put so many dishes into it. Way better than what we have now.
LOL in my case I don't buy one because I would need to buy more dishes to load it full :D (Also my kitchen does not have the space for it.

Dr Kidstache

• Bristles
« Reply #691 on: February 06, 2022, 01:16:43 PM »

lol I just moved into a house with a Bosch dishwasher and I never know what to put on the 3rd rack when I load it

ysette9

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #692 on: February 06, 2022, 03:52:19 PM »

lol I just moved into a house with a Bosch dishwasher and I never know what to put on the 3rd rack when I load it
All the silverware.

They fit more tightly packed than any other configuration without nestling that leaves you with dirty spots. It is genius.

RetiredAt63

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #693 on: February 06, 2022, 04:01:19 PM »

All the silverware.

They fit more tightly packed than any other configuration without nestling that leaves you with dirty spots. It is genius.

My dishwasher has a cutlery basket that has removable lids with holes - I can stack all my cutlery vertically so that things don't touch, remove the lids if I need more space.  But that third tray looks wonderful.

JoePublic3.14

• Bristles
« Reply #694 on: February 06, 2022, 05:30:48 PM »
Moved to the North Bay (San Francisco area).  I like hiking and wine, I’m having a good time.

So jealous! Grew up a bit north and inland from there, but have lived far away for many years. Just visits now. Sigh…

ysette9

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #695 on: February 06, 2022, 06:25:39 PM »

All the silverware.

My dishwasher has a cutlery basket that has removable lids with holes - I can stack all my cutlery vertically so that things don't touch, remove the lids if I need more space.  But that third tray looks wonderful.
Mine has one also and I’ve used a lot of them. They don’t hold a candle to the third rack in terms of ease and efficiency of loading

Just Joe

• Walrus Stache
  • Teach me something.
« Reply #696 on: February 07, 2022, 10:16:46 AM »
I spent $6000 for a top-notch 3D printer and a washing and a curing unit, plus multiple liters of resin for it.

Another $1300 for a new vacuum casting table.

Another $600 for a new electric metal melting unit and some extra crucibles.

Another $1600 for a new burnout kiln.

Another $1500 to have the electricians add new dedicated circuits to the garage so I can run the latter three at the same time.

Another $1000 for 3D design software.

Another $1500 for miscellaneous accessories and consumables like investing powder (not financial related! :) ), flasks, bronze and silver to cast with, and so forth.

I've done more metal casting in the last 2 months than I did in the prior 10-12 years.   I've designed hundreds of items in the 3D design software and I'm working my way thru printing and casting them.   I'm poised to develop what may be a new, successful enameling technique out of all this.   

I am having a total blast!

All this sound so intriguing! Hope you are still enjoying it.

Need to install a couple of circuits (tonight?) so I can have my welder and air compressor in service again. Also, brought a big HF toolbox. Have old cars that need restoration.

GreenSheep

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #697 on: February 07, 2022, 10:25:06 AM »
Has this been said already? Dog training. Our 1 year old dog is a pleasure to be around, both in public and at home, because she's so well-behaved. This was an investment of time more than money, but we used an online training program and then found an awesome local trainer who does small group classes, and both the time and the money have been well spent. The classes have also been fun for the humans, since they kind of turn into a little social event each week. When my husband said he wanted a particular breed that's large and powerful, I was afraid that we could end up with a scary, out-of-control dog, but she's an absolute lovebug who gets pets and compliments everywhere we go. She usually wears a pink or purple collar to make her look a little less intense. :-)

Just Joe

• Walrus Stache
  • Teach me something.
« Reply #698 on: February 07, 2022, 12:42:37 PM »
I picked up this thing on Sunday and immediately made an 85% return on my money. When the drains of my house started backing up, I called three plumbers / roto-rooter companies. Of the three, only one called me back and they wanted an eye-popping $500 to clear the clog. I bought the auger for $270 and had the mainline of the house cleared in about 15 minutes.

https://www.harborfreight.com/50-ft-compact-electric-drain-cleaner-68285.html?_br_psugg_q=drain+snake

Did the same with same good results. Thought about selling it but hey, I have one forever at no additional costs. I have room to store it...

RetiredAt63

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #699 on: February 07, 2022, 01:05:50 PM »
Has this been said already? Dog training. Our 1 year old dog is a pleasure to be around, both in public and at home, because she's so well-behaved. This was an investment of time more than money, but we used an online training program and then found an awesome local trainer who does small group classes, and both the time and the money have been well spent. The classes have also been fun for the humans, since they kind of turn into a little social event each week. When my husband said he wanted a particular breed that's large and powerful, I was afraid that we could end up with a scary, out-of-control dog, but she's an absolute lovebug who gets pets and compliments everywhere we go. She usually wears a pink or purple collar to make her look a little less intense. :-)

Training is so important.  Have you thought of doing agility with your dog?  Mine loved it, and her sit-stay got sooo good.  It really develops the bond between the dog and his/her person in training.  I met someone in agility who had a Siberian Husky, a breed not known for their obedience - what a well behaved dog, and so attentive to her human.  PS  I love big dogs - you don't have to bend down to pet them.  21" at the shoulder and up.  And even more up.   ;-)  Of course with your name what you need is a collie of some sort.  Smart dogs, all the herding breeds.