Author Topic: The "Money well spent" thread. NO INVESTMENTS ALLOWED.  (Read 128128 times)

Moustachienne

• Bristles
Re: The "Money well spent" thread. NO INVESTMENTS ALLOWED.
« Reply #550 on: July 13, 2021, 03:29:22 PM »
Big bucks:  renovating our 1950's kitchen to a high spec with the help of an excellent designer and contractor.  Same small square footage but everything fits and works like a dream.  Next up - replacing all the 1950's and 1970's windows in the house, i.e. all the windows.  Expect a LOT less heat loss come the winter. *

Small bucks: bought a couple of cotton t-shirt dresses on sale for $14 each. Perfect for quick changes after swimming (change rooms still closed).

* all improvements (by choice or by emergency) to our house infrastructure has been totally money well spent.  Upgraded wiring, new roof, sewer line repair and update,..

darknight

• Stubble
« Reply #551 on: July 13, 2021, 04:07:12 PM »
Month long batting cage pass

$65 unlimited batting (6 lanes, slow softball all the way to 80 mph baseball). They provide bats, helmets and it's a 5 minute walk from our house. One month pass is anyone in your immediate family, so the 4 of us walked down today and used it for an hour.. The month long pass literally is paid for in one use. Excellent to get out and walk, a bit of exercise and a lot of fun for all of us. Money well spent.

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #552 on: July 13, 2021, 05:29:37 PM »

$65 unlimited batting (6 lanes, slow softball all the way to 80 mph baseball). They provide bats, helmets and it's a 5 minute walk from our house. One month pass is anyone in your immediate family, so the 4 of us walked down today and used it for an hour.. The month long pass literally is paid for in one use. Excellent to get out and walk, a bit of exercise and a lot of fun for all of us. Money well spent.
That sounds like fun!

iwasjustwondering

• Bristles
« Reply #553 on: July 13, 2021, 06:46:11 PM »
Twice-weekly Pilates classes. It's $75 a week for duet classes, which I take with a close friend. It's made me much stronger and fitter, and helped my back issue tremendously (I had surgery in 2016 to remove an exploded disc). Could I do this sort of thing at home? Not really. The whole point of the classes, I realize now, is to allow you to do very tough strengthening exercises while protecting your back, neck and joints at all times. I <3 it.

stoaX

• Handlebar Stache
  • 'tis nothing good nor bad but thinking makes it so
« Reply #554 on: July 14, 2021, 05:50:30 AM »

That sounds like fun!

It does!   I haven't been in a batting cage since the 1990's.   I gotta find one and give it a go.

clarkfan1979

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #555 on: July 15, 2021, 09:56:19 AM »
I have a $20 co-pay for chiropractor. Nothing majorly wrong. However, I was sitting too much during COVID.

It was a basic spine adjustment. I'm planning on doing it twice a month until I feel normal.

Cool Friend

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #556 on: July 15, 2021, 02:05:46 PM »
Was going over my CC bill and remembered that I very spendy month (for me anyway). I started to get really anxious about how much I blew through, but then I realized that most of the purchases were reasonable and some of them very overdue.

A reasonably-priced, full-grain leather shoulder bag to replace my torn up, falling apart canvas one. This is a daily use item and cared-for leather lasts ages. I feel bad for the buffalo though--thank you, buffalo.

Reasonably-priced sneakers to replace the ones that had holes worn all the way to my socks. I walk a lot.

A cheap, used bookshelf to put the stuff I had piled in a corner onto something a little more civilized.

A cheap, used mirror I found on Craigslist. I was using just a tiny bathroom mirror for a few years. I'm trying to take a little more pride in my appearance.

A couple kitchen supplies and some shelf-stable cooking staples.

Things I could have spent nothing on but chose not to:

A nice haircut--I haven't been happy with my self-cutting results, and we returned to the office last week, so I needed to look a little more presentable. The lady does a perfect job and I feel more confident when my hair looks good. Sue me.

A bottle of cologne. We had an empty bottle of it a certain kind in our medicine cabinet when I was a very little kid, and I loved smelling it. I saw a bottle of it in a store, and it smelled just like I remember! I usually haaaate cologne, but this one smells nice to me and is nostalgic and will probably last me a long while, since I'm not going to douse myself in it and will likely only wear it at social functions.

Anyway that's more shopping in one month than I usually do in a year haha. But I think for the most part I did okay

joe189man

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #557 on: July 15, 2021, 04:25:26 PM »
Active noise canceling head phones for flying are a game changer

RunningintoFI

• Stubble
  • Paid to optimize. Love not to.
« Reply #558 on: July 15, 2021, 09:57:13 PM »
A mini acupuncture mat for home use.  Cost me $12 to get it and I use it every night before bed.  Eases any accumulated aches from throughout the day and 20 minutes on it completely relaxes me so that I am ready to fall asleep almost instantly!

vand

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #559 on: July 16, 2021, 03:57:02 AM »

example of overengineering a solution when a pair of earplugs work better imo.

Phenix

• Bristles
« Reply #560 on: July 16, 2021, 07:00:07 AM »

example of overengineering a solution when a pair of earplugs work better imo.

After cramming earplugs in my ears 45 hours a week in a machine shop, I must say that noise cancelling headphones are a welcome luxury whenever I have to fly on an airplane.

Sanitary Stache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #561 on: July 16, 2021, 07:50:16 AM »
An iron bar - I use it every weekend to dig up stumps, dig up posts buried in concrete, and carry around like a Hero javelin.

A post hole digger - After my 20th post hole dug, and being only half way through, I decided I could stop borrowing this tool.

A come-along - I have only used this to stretch fence so far, but hope to haul some logs with it also.

An 8"x8" tamper - this really elevates my grading game.

NorCal

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #562 on: July 29, 2021, 05:24:16 PM »
Today my 4 year old was playing with friends in the backyard. 

She burst in saying "hurry daddy, hurry"

"Ice Cream Truck" (she has no pre-covid memories of ice cream trucks)

My older kid jumped away from the TV and put her shoes on in record time.

The ice cream truck had already traveled about 3 blocks.  She sprinted as fast as her 4 year old legs could go.  I lightly jogged to keep up.

Was it $10 for 2x $0.50 ice cream bars?  Sure.  But it was money well spent.  I can save the spending lessons for another day.

August26th

• Stubble
« Reply #563 on: July 29, 2021, 05:31:10 PM »
Purchased a hot tub for our 20th wedding anniversary - it gets delivered tomorrow! Time will tell if it’s money well spent, but all signs are pointing to yes. We are in Colorado so it will be particularly useful in the winter months.

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #564 on: July 30, 2021, 06:36:19 AM »
Our 17-year-old Samsung fridge died early yesterday morning. We spent yesterday evening shopping in store and online until we found a not-too-large fridge (small house) that had the features we wanted, a 10-year warranty, and a price in our preferred range (I was amazed at how huge and expensive many fridges are now). I hope it will be money well spent.

I’m also grateful that we bought a second large cooler a couple of years ago. We were able to salvage much of the food in our fridge.

Nope, we still don’t have a fridge. Apparently the store’s inventory was faulty, so we get to start over on our fridge search and keep living out of coolers. 🤬
« Last Edit: July 31, 2021, 07:39:51 PM by OtherJen »

middo

• Handlebar Stache
  • Learning.
« Reply #565 on: July 30, 2021, 06:03:26 PM »
We bought an automatic (robotic) vacuum cleaner a few weeks ago, from Aldi.  Best purchase for a long time.  We love it so much.  Our wooden floors feel cleaner than ever when walking with bare feet, and just at the touch of a button when I leave the house.

ilsy

• Stubble
« Reply #566 on: July 30, 2021, 06:46:20 PM »
Bought these 120 color pencils worth $250 before taxes (a bit more than $2/ a pencil) for my talented offspring who created this picture. I think that’s money well spent. Can’t imagine a better place to spend my money.

Morning Glory

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #567 on: July 30, 2021, 07:20:05 PM »
Bought these 120 color pencils worth $250 before taxes (a bit more than $2/ a pencil) for my talented offspring who created this picture. I think that’s money well spent. Can’t imagine a better place to spend my money.

Gorgeous! That is a good investment!!!

Mine was taking my kids on a big cross-country road trip. Littlest isn't quite ready for camping (he has ASD and runs off, so it's a safety issue) so we paid $$ for motels and air bnbs. They had a great time!!!

Metalcat

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #568 on: July 30, 2021, 09:39:08 PM »

I trained as an artist for years and am known for my precision and detail and I wouldn't be able to do that with coloured pencils.

That's some skill.

ilsy

• Stubble
« Reply #569 on: July 30, 2021, 09:58:11 PM »

I trained as an artist for years and am known for my precision and detail and I wouldn't be able to do that with coloured pencils.

That's some skill.

Thanks.

The thing is, I consider myself pretty artistic and pretty good at drawing and painting my whole life (no formal training), and I cannot do what my 14 y.o can do, I watch her drawing (in fact, she records the whole thing) and I still cannot do that or even understand how she does it. Those pencils are not erasable!!!!

SwordGuy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #570 on: July 31, 2021, 08:21:20 AM »
I spent $6000 for a top-notch 3D printer and a washing and a curing unit, plus multiple liters of resin for it.

Another $1300 for a new vacuum casting table.

Another $600 for a new electric metal melting unit and some extra crucibles.

Another $1600 for a new burnout kiln.

Another $1500 to have the electricians add new dedicated circuits to the garage so I can run the latter three at the same time.

Another $1000 for 3D design software.

Another $1500 for miscellaneous accessories and consumables like investing powder (not financial related! :) ), flasks, bronze and silver to cast with, and so forth.

I've done more metal casting in the last 2 months than I did in the prior 10-12 years.   I've designed hundreds of items in the 3D design software and I'm working my way thru printing and casting them.   I'm poised to develop what may be a new, successful enameling technique out of all this.   

I am having a total blast! 

Poundwise

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #571 on: August 02, 2021, 11:03:09 AM »
Cloth napkins.  Purchased 15 years ago, a bit ragged now but still going strong after daily use.

Somebody did a calculation... my guess is that we have saved at least $500 over the lifetime of the napkins.
https://www.growingagreenfamily.com/ditch-paper-napkins-and-save-almost-nothing-huh/

And, for the first five years or so, we looked classier too! Not to mention the eco friendly nature of cloth napkins.

Fomerly known as something

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #572 on: August 02, 2021, 12:07:21 PM »
A round trip ticket from the SF Bay Area back to Michigan in order to rescue my cat from my parents house, so I don’t have to drive 8 days with him to get to our new home.

jsap819

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #573 on: August 02, 2021, 12:37:48 PM »
Spent $600 to convert my current hybrid bike to an ebike (500w). Can't stop riding it everywhere and makes uphills so much easier. It's been so much fun and I get some exercise to boot. Pretty soon I'm looking to get my wife a bike and convert that too.

iluvzbeach

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #574 on: August 02, 2021, 04:14:29 PM »
Spent $600 to convert my current hybrid bike to an ebike (500w). Can't stop riding it everywhere and makes uphills so much easier. It's been so much fun and I get some exercise to boot. Pretty soon I'm looking to get my wife a bike and convert that too.

Same here! Love my bike that was converted to an ebike. Definitely money well spent.

BigEasyStache

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #575 on: August 04, 2021, 06:50:48 AM »

Same here! Love my bike that was converted to an ebike. Definitely money well spent.

Can either of you share which conversion kit you used?  And how difficult was the conversion?
TIA

iluvzbeach

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #576 on: August 04, 2021, 08:13:07 AM »
@BigEasyStache - We used Hilltopper kits. Reasonably priced and took my husband about 15 minutes to install for each bike.

ysette9

• Walrus Stache
Re: The &quot;Money well spent&quot; thread. NO INVESTMENTS ALLOWED.
« Reply #577 on: August 04, 2021, 10:48:05 AM »
We spent a boat-load recently demo-ing the broken and old forced-air furnace in the house we just purchased and installing ductless mini splits. So worth the money being able to climate control the place and be comfortable when necessary.

bmjohnson35

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #578 on: August 06, 2021, 05:35:09 PM »

After wearing safety shoes 5 days a week for 30 years, my Croc flip-flops.  I have other shoes, but these are my go-to footwear 95% of the time throughout the year. Comfortable, waterproof and easy to clean. 

Dave1442397

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #579 on: August 06, 2021, 05:47:07 PM »
I spent $106 on 21 bars of Lindt chocolate.

These are the 10.5oz bars, and were on sale at $4.75 each, plus tax. I have 20 stashed in the freezer, and one in my desk drawer.

I can eat these slowly, as in one or two squares a day. If I get the hazelnut bar, I just can't stop eating it! This purchase will keep me going for a long time.

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #580 on: August 07, 2021, 01:42:06 AM »

These are the 10.5oz bars, and were on sale at $4.75 each, plus tax. I have 20 stashed in the freezer, and one in my desk drawer.

I can eat these slowly, as in one or two squares a day. If I get the hazelnut bar, I just can't stop eating it! This purchase will keep me going for a long time.
Haha, just yesterday I spent $46.50 on 93 bars of Lindt chocolate, the 4.1 oz size. They're a birthday present for my Aunt's 91st, plus one to grow on. (Dunno what happened to that last one...) When she turned 80, she asked for boxes of cereal for her b-day to donate to the food bank. My parents gave her 80 boxes. (Alas, the cereal and my parents are gone now.) Tomorrow, she will take some of her chocolate to the food bank, some will be shared with the neighbors who are throwing a block party in her honor, and some will surely be hidden in her freezer.

Now the money well spent part: We hopped in the car last night without a solid plan and headed for her house, 7.5 hours away. We tacked on another two hours of driving to pick up my cousin, then we all showed up on my Aunt's doorstep unannounced today and shouted, "Surprise!" She was hosting a card party with eight of her golfing buddies (yes, they got candy bars, too). Tomorrow, more cousins will arrive, followed by even more on Sunday. Two of the cousins have birthdays in the next few days, so they're getting gift cards that match the birthday number they're celebrating. We packed snacks and we're staying in hotels with points, but gas, gifts, food, etc. will probably run $700. It's been nearly five years since I've seen most of these relatives. Totally money well spent!
« Last Edit: August 09, 2021, 01:55:49 AM by Dicey »

vand

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #581 on: August 07, 2021, 02:10:07 AM »
Bought a few DIY power tools in the last couple of months.

If I had to list the most useful, Jigsaw and Angle Grinder are "how the hell did I manage before without these?" type purchases.

Money very well spent. 

habanero

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #582 on: August 07, 2021, 12:58:43 PM »

If I had to list the most useful, Jigsaw and Angle Grinder are "how the hell did I manage before without these?" type purchases.

Money very well spent.

Try buying an oscillating saw (aka Fein or similar) and a plunge saw with a guiding rail and watch your entire existance change for the better. These are the two things I can't believe how it's possible to get by without.

davisgang90

• Handlebar Stache
    • Photography by Rich Davis
« Reply #583 on: August 08, 2021, 04:18:35 AM »
I paid a great deal of money for a hot tub. I've moved around all my life and haven't been able to have one. My dad has had them for 30 years and uses his daily.

I had to also pay to strengthen the deck it sits on and hire a crane to lift it over my house. This was 2.5 years ago and I can still count on two hands the number of mornings I have not used it to relieve back pain.

Worth every penny and it was a lot of pennies.

Nocto

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #584 on: August 08, 2021, 05:49:31 PM »
$2,600 on getting the interior of our home repainted. Long overdue since the previous homeowners smoked in the house. The house just has a cozy atmosphere now, love it! Spending another $600 today on staining and painting the stair banister. Totally worth the cost so that we can further enjoy our home. :)

Dave1442397

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #585 on: August 08, 2021, 06:29:01 PM »

Haha, just yesterday I spent $46.50 on 93 bars of Lindt chocolate, the 4.1 oz size. They're a birthday present for my Aunt's 91st, plus one to grow on. (Dunno what happened to that last one...) When she turned 80, she asked for boxes of cereal for her b-day to donate to the food bank. My parents gave her 80 boxes. (Alas, the cereal and my parents are gone now.) Tomorrow, she will take some of her chocolate to the food bank, some will be shared with the neighbors who are throwing a block party in her honor, and some will surely be hidden in her freezer.

Now the money well spent part: We hopped in the car last night without a solid plan and headed for her house, 7.5 hours away. We tacked on another two hours of driving to pick up my cousin, then we all showed up on my Aunt's doorstep unannounced today and shouted "Surprise!". She was hosting a card party with eight of her golfing buddies (yes, they got candy bars, too). Tomorrow, more cousins will arrive, followed by even more on Sunday. Two of the cousins have birthdays in the next few days, so they're getting gift cards that match the birthday number they're celebrating. We packed snacks and we're staying in hotels with points, but gas, gifts, food, etc. will probably run $700. It's been nearly five years since I've seen most of these relatives. Totally money well spent!

Good deal, and a fun surprise!

Cool Friend

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #586 on: August 13, 2021, 05:47:50 AM »
I spent $28 on a pair of shears. They're made in the USA, drop-forged stainless steel, with a simple screw joint for easy cleaning and sharpening. Before this I was using a clunky, dull pair of plastic-bodied scissors that I got on sale at Bed Bath and Beyond a million years ago. They were a pain in the ass to use and I figured, to hell with it, if I can keep a cheap POS around for that long, why not buy something built to last?

zolotiyeruki

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #587 on: August 13, 2021, 06:57:29 AM »
I spent $28 on a pair of shears. They're made in the USA, drop-forged stainless steel, with a simple screw joint for easy cleaning and sharpening. Before this I was using a clunky, dull pair of plastic-bodied scissors that I got on sale at Bed Bath and Beyond a million years ago. They were a pain in the ass to use and I figured, to hell with it, if I can keep a cheap POS around for that long, why not buy something built to last?
any chance you'd share a link for others who are similarly sick of low-quality scissors?

Cool Friend

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #588 on: August 13, 2021, 07:29:14 AM »
any chance you'd share a link for others who are similarly sick of low-quality scissors?

I ended up with ones made by Krink, who are mostly known for their art and graffiti tools. I emailed them to confirm it's made in the USA--I'm not a stickler for this, I just wanted to be sure I wasn't paying a premium on their branding. I was going to order them direct but found them on sale at this speciality store: https://acleanlitspace.com/products/drop-forged-scissors?_pos=1&_sid=16c67d943&_ss=r

If that's too artsy fartsy, I found this company while researching: https://wolffindustries.com/collections/scissors. Pricier (especially shipping), but lots of options if you have special requirements.

I also found this 11" monster, but sadly had to admit that it was way more hardcore than I needed: https://www.baryonyxknife.com/husppoutsh.html

Jenny Wren

• Pencil Stache
  • Just another dharma bum
« Reply #589 on: August 13, 2021, 09:04:51 AM »
Every single piece of camping and outdoor gear we have purchased new or acquired used over the years, from the cabin tent to the internal frame backpacks to the snow shoes, is the best money we ever spent. This includes the investment in the food dehydrator, which lets us make our own lightweight backpacking meals for pennies. No matter the season or the level of comfort craved or the season, we have weekend activities and vacations short or small at our fingertips for just the cost of the fuel to get there and any necessary passes/permits.

We leave for a week on the Pacific coast in a few days. Taking the cabin tent with the fancy air mattresses, the nice Coleman stove, the cushy camp chairs, and the real bedding for this one, as we are planning to glamp and enjoy the kite festival. Cost? $138 for a week at the camp site by the beach, plus the gas to get there. This stuff paid for itself year's ago. So far this year we have taken 3 vacations and gone backpacking on a handful of weekends, as well as spent many a day hiking or snowshoeing, and the longest trips still came in under $150 and the shortest cost as little as a gallon of gas and a tank of stove fuel.

I recently had to patch a small hole in my REI daypack. I bought it about 10 years ago. I remember at the time feeling guilty about the $40 I spent, I could use a thrifted backpack after all. It's seen me through a ton of day hikes, a couple of short overnights, served as an airplane carryon, an impromptu diaper bag when babysitting my niece, a field bag when I was doing field work, taken me on countless errands, and even carried my laptop a few times. I use it 3 times a week or more. At least 1500 uses over the last decade, and hopefully another decade of life is left in it. That's money well spent.

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #590 on: August 13, 2021, 09:13:26 AM »
Yes! Decent camping gear is money well spent. We're on our 5th year of our Coleman tent, and it's held up very well in heavy rain and wind. Our Coleman stove is in its 14th summer; if we can find the proper replacement hose/propane tank adapter, we should be able to get several more years out of it.

ducky19

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #591 on: August 13, 2021, 10:58:00 AM »
We just recently refurbished our garden. We have several raised beds and had wood mulch that had deteriorated over the years, allowing weeds to go crazy. We decided to bite the bullet and spring for the rubber mulch. So glad we did! All in, we're at about $1250, but we never have to worry about replenishing it ever again. The mulch itself has a 12 year color guarantee, the weed barrier has a 20 year guarantee. We love the end result and only wish we'd have done it sooner.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2021, 11:00:16 AM by ducky19 »

Alchemisst

• Bristles
« Reply #592 on: August 15, 2021, 03:30:41 AM »
Some things worth paying for for me are: Good towels, good socks, a dishwasher, a dryer, toothpaste dispenser, a fully furnished place when renting.

GreenSheep

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #593 on: August 15, 2021, 05:19:58 AM »
Some things worth paying for for me are: Good towels, good socks, a dishwasher, a dryer, toothpaste dispenser, a fully furnished place when renting.

A toothpaste dispenser? Would you please elaborate? Thanks!

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #594 on: August 15, 2021, 10:26:34 AM »
I was trying to find this thread last week and couldn't. I had something for your consideration, but now can't remember what the hell it was, which is pretty funny. At least that's more interesting than "PTF" in case I remember.

Eco_eco

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
    • Nineteen-Six.com
Re: The &quot;Money well spent&quot; thread. NO INVESTMENTS ALLOWED.
« Reply #595 on: August 16, 2021, 11:59:30 AM »
Our ‘buy-it-for life’ purchases over the past few years which I’m really pleased with are:

- cast iron cookware. After all those disposable pots which only lasted a year or two I wish someone had told me earlier how easy it is to season cookware. We love cooking in our our cast iron.

- MacBook Pro - five years on the thing works like new and meets all our laptop computing needs. This was such a good upgrade after various cheaper laptops that would die, or become unworkable due to changing technology

- Audible audio books - listening to audiobooks has added sooo much entertainment to commuting, yard work, and other previously dull activities of life

- Our pandemic puppy - getting a dog has bought a lot of joy for all of us, and I’m fitter with the compulsory daily walk. Plus it turns out an hour spent in nature is a great way to start or finish the day. Any worries are put into much better perspective in the great outdoors.

- La Pavoni coffee machine - this little machine makes really great coffee. The design hasn’t really changed for decades and the machine is easily self serviced. No regrets buying this one!

- Nissan Leaf - after eight years of commuting this little car has saved us a fortune in petrol and maintenance costs. The battery is wearing out now but since the car has offset more commuting costs than its price I’m not complaining.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Nona

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #596 on: August 16, 2021, 02:42:25 PM »
Taking a Total ImmersionTM swimming course in 2019. It finally pushed me from being a below-mediocre swimmer who couldn't manage her breathing while swimming, to being someone who can swim laps for 30-45 mins without getting winded and actually enjoying it for exercise. Totally worth it for a few hundred bucks.

jsap819

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #597 on: August 16, 2021, 05:59:15 PM »

Can either of you share which conversion kit you used?  And how difficult was the conversion?
TIA

Sorry I didn't see this post until today. I bought the kit and battery off of E-bay from Unit Pack Power. It was quite easy to install if you have the proper tools. All you need is an adjustable wrench, allen wrench set, and a crank puller to be able to install the pedal assist sensor (optional). All in all it took me less than an hour. One word of caution though is that any motor that's 500w and above, I strongly recommend you get a torque arm, especially if you plan to install the front wheel hub motor. The torque on these things can warp the forks and/or break them without a torque arm installed, especially if the frame material is aluminum or carbon. You do not want this to happen going 25 mph and fly over the handle bar.

My recommendation is to get or have a bike with a steel frame (preferable) and purchase either a rear wheel hub or a mid-drive (motor is in the pedal). Front hub is ok but you'll need a torque arm to avoid potential damage and injury. Good luck!

jinga nation

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #598 on: August 17, 2021, 05:48:26 AM »
I don't know if it is "Money Well Spent" yet, but I bought my first mountain bike yesterday. I have road bikes. Got bit by the MTB bug 2 years ago on a buddy trip. Have waited a year for this bike, since my local bike shops wouldn't have any in stock. Planning to hit the trails coming weekend.

I still need to work on my perpetually-postponed project of converting an old Bridgestone RB-4 road bike to a single-speed/fixed-gear with a flat handlebar.

vand

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #599 on: August 17, 2021, 05:50:38 AM »

Money very well spent.

Try buying an oscillating saw (aka Fein or similar) and a plunge saw with a guiding rail and watch your entire existance change for the better. These are the two things I can't believe how it's possible to get by without.

yea, they are on my shopping list!

Got a laser level too. $30. So cool, and will prove invaluable for my imminent garden patio project.
A router and Impact driver are also on my shopping list, although I've done OK without them up until now.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!