Author Topic: The 'I Don't Get It' thread. Rants accepted.  (Read 206840 times)

Miss Piggy

• Handlebar Stache
Re: The 'I Don't Get It' thread. Rants accepted.
« Reply #1150 on: September 27, 2018, 05:12:28 PM »
I don't get spray sunscreen. Especially, but certainly not limited to, on a windy day. Honestly, I think it should be outlawed.

APowers

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1151 on: September 27, 2018, 09:10:43 PM »
I don't get spray sunscreen. Especially, but certainly not limited to, on a windy day. Honestly, I think it should be outlawed.

If it means I don't have to smear the greasy stuff with my hands, I am down for spray sunscreen. I DETEST the way it leaves my hands feeling greasy. Even the ones that advertise "NON-GREASY" in giant letters...they're greasy feeling too. Just Ick.

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #1152 on: September 27, 2018, 09:20:20 PM »

If it means I don't have to smear the greasy stuff with my hands, I am down for spray sunscreen. I DETEST the way it leaves my hands feeling greasy. Even the ones that advertise "NON-GREASY" in giant letters...they're greasy feeling too. Just Ick.

No, even the spray stuff has to be rubbed in

Stoic on FIRE

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
  • This too shall pass.
« Reply #1153 on: September 27, 2018, 09:24:00 PM »

So true. I had a "buddy" offer to "help" me using spray sunscreen on my back instead of the rub on sunscreen I brought when I went snorkeling. Needless to say I had the worst sunburn on my back I've had in my life. I could not sleep well for three days and three years later you can still see the difference in the skin where I could reach and where I was sprayed with sunscreen.

ilsy

• Stubble
« Reply #1154 on: September 27, 2018, 10:38:06 PM »
I don’t get people spending money on a gym and also paying for services to showel their driveway and maw their lawn. Not only you save money by doing everything yourself, but you can exercise while inhailing fresh air. What could be better?

...because I need the 3 feet of snow removed overnight so that I can go to work in the morning and then removed again while I’m at work so that I can get back into my parking spot without blocking the lane way for an hour while I dig it out???
Maybe your comment was meant about people who live in regions without serious snow.

That said, I don’t pay for a gym membership, and I still shovel A LOT of snow.

People with serious snow don't shovel, they have snow blowers. I have a snow blower, but I won't argue that some places might get more snow than I do (though each winter is different). On the other hand, when we do get a ton of snow, work usually takes that into account, schools get closed, most places are closed for services. Even if I do get my driveway cleaned from snow on time during heavy snow days, the main roads are so backed up, there is no way I can get to work on time. And anyways, my Subaru can make it to and from my garage even if I don't shower, or blow snow.

stahi

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1155 on: September 27, 2018, 11:48:29 PM »
So, I'm sitting in an airport.  Just had to pay $25 per bag to get my luggage on the damn plane.  I'm surrounded by people that weigh at least 100 lbs more than I do and they're riding for the same rate as me.  Talk about some BS.

Doesn't volume seem like it should be a factor?  I don't care if you weigh less than me if you have too much stuff or take up too much room!
I feel the same way about that. Put everyone on a scale with their luggage and calculate a fee based on total weight.

I weigh 200 lbs, but would agree with you.  Airplane ticket fees should be based upon total passenger + baggage weight (with a stipulation regarding baggage volume so you don't get stupid people bringing 70lbs of light weight foam or something), with a weigh-in just before departure to calculate the final price.

Have folks pay by the pound?  The Fat Acceptance crowd would be militant!  As for luggage - or any type of shipping - there is weight and volume.  Air lines have a strict rule of 62" (circumference + length) per bag which approximates volume, although can be close when dealing with skis.

I really don’t understand this. so much so that i had stop my lurking and create an account to answer.

lets assume 2 people travelling from near here Turku to London via Helsinki.

Passenger A (100 kg) shows his ticket at the gate and walks in with no luggage. changes planes in Helsinki and arrives in London.  people involved were the gate personnel and flight crew.

Person B (50kg) arrives at the airport with his 50 kg of clothes packed in several bags.  he hands them to a person 1 who is on standby just for this purpose, he tags them with the appropriate information.  a conveyer belt built for luggage takes them to a sorting area for luggage, where person 2 sorts them out. person 3 takes them with a car to the plane where Peron 4 loads them in with conveyer belt car.

arriving in Helsinki persons 5 and 6 unload and transport the luggage using 2 vehicles. person 7 sorts them again and hands them to person 8 and 9 who load them to a new plane.

in London persons 10 and 11 unload and transport the luggage. person 12 moves it to conveyer belt to the luggage claim area that’s built just for luggage.

and on their way out of the plane passenger B comments that it’s an outrage that he had to pay 20 euros to have 12 people move his luggage using 6 vehicles and several conveyer belts and several areas built just for this purpose in the airports. and really passenger A should pay for all that because he is fat.

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #1156 on: September 28, 2018, 12:24:05 AM »
So, I'm sitting in an airport.  Just had to pay $25 per bag to get my luggage on the damn plane.  I'm surrounded by people that weigh at least 100 lbs more than I do and they're riding for the same rate as me.  Talk about some BS.

Doesn't volume seem like it should be a factor?  I don't care if you weigh less than me if you have too much stuff or take up too much room!
I feel the same way about that. Put everyone on a scale with their luggage and calculate a fee based on total weight.

I weigh 200 lbs, but would agree with you.  Airplane ticket fees should be based upon total passenger + baggage weight (with a stipulation regarding baggage volume so you don't get stupid people bringing 70lbs of light weight foam or something), with a weigh-in just before departure to calculate the final price.

Have folks pay by the pound?  The Fat Acceptance crowd would be militant!  As for luggage - or any type of shipping - there is weight and volume.  Air lines have a strict rule of 62" (circumference + length) per bag which approximates volume, although can be close when dealing with skis.

I really don’t understand this. so much so that i had stop my lurking and create an account to answer.

lets assume 2 people travelling from near here Turku to London via Helsinki.

Passenger A (100 kg) shows his ticket at the gate and walks in with no luggage. changes planes in Helsinki and arrives in London.  people involved were the gate personnel and flight crew.

Person B (50kg) arrives at the airport with his 50 kg of clothes packed in several bags.  he hands them to a person 1 who is on standby just for this purpose, he tags them with the appropriate information.  a conveyer belt built for luggage takes them to a sorting area for luggage, where person 2 sorts them out. person 3 takes them with a car to the plane where Peron 4 loads them in with conveyer belt car.

arriving in Helsinki persons 5 and 6 unload and transport the luggage using 2 vehicles. person 7 sorts them again and hands them to person 8 and 9 who load them to a new plane.

in London persons 10 and 11 unload and transport the luggage. person 12 moves it to conveyer belt to the luggage claim area that’s built just for luggage.

and on their way out of the plane passenger B comments that it’s an outrage that he had to pay 20 euros to have 12 people move his luggage using 6 vehicles and several conveyer belts and several areas built just for this purpose in the airports. and really passenger A should pay for all that because he is fat.

Sure, cargo costs the airline slightly more per pound than passenger weight, even though the marginal cost on one extra bag is tiny compared to the fuel costs.  But that doesn’t mean passengers shouldn’t have to pay at all for additional weight, merely that they should pay less per pound.

stahi

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1157 on: September 28, 2018, 02:00:30 AM »

this article ( https://www.nationalgeographic.com/environment/urban-expeditions/transportation/urban-expeditions-graphic-V21/ ) says that adding a 50lbs bag into the plane for a whole year will increase the fuel cost by 1545 usd.  or roughly 4,2 usd per day.   

i dont have any hard data, but i would think that the equipment, salaries and space for luggage handling is not a tiny part of the cost.

« Last Edit: September 28, 2018, 02:03:24 AM by stahi »

driftwood

• Bristles
« Reply #1158 on: September 28, 2018, 07:51:30 AM »

Spray or put on sunscreen at home. Rub in in real good. Wash hands. Go enjoy life without sunscreen hands. If you have to re-apply, do it during a bathroom break and wash your hands again.  Most sunscreens recommend you put them on 30min before sun exposure anyways, so if you're putting it on at the beach/trailhead you're already behind the curve.

I'm a red panda

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1159 on: September 28, 2018, 07:53:34 AM »

Except on my face, I never rub the spray sunscreen in.

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #1160 on: September 28, 2018, 07:54:50 AM »
I don’t get people spending money on a gym and also paying for services to showel their driveway and maw their lawn. Not only you save money by doing everything yourself, but you can exercise while inhailing fresh air. What could be better?

...because I need the 3 feet of snow removed overnight so that I can go to work in the morning and then removed again while I’m at work so that I can get back into my parking spot without blocking the lane way for an hour while I dig it out???
Maybe your comment was meant about people who live in regions without serious snow.

People with serious snow don't shovel, they have snow blowers. I have a snow blower, but I won't argue that some places might get more snow than I do (though each winter is different). On the other hand, when we do get a ton of snow, work usually takes that into account, schools get closed, most places are closed for services. Even if I do get my driveway cleaned from snow on time during heavy snow days, the main roads are so backed up, there is no way I can get to work on time. And anyways, my Subaru can make it to and from my garage even if I don't shower, or blow snow.

I lived in Northern Ontario for my whole childhood, and had a 60 ft long single car wide gravel driveway.  Most winters we would get 10 - 15 ft of snow.  Our family didn't ever own a snow blower.  We did occasionally get up as a family to clear the snow from the driveway if it was deep first thing in the morning, but most shoveling was done by me on my own from the age of 10 on.

I'm a red panda

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1161 on: September 28, 2018, 08:59:31 AM »

I lived in Northern Ontario for my whole childhood, and had a 60 ft long single car wide gravel driveway.  Most winters we would get 10 - 15 ft of snow.  Our family didn't ever own a snow blower.  We did occasionally get up as a family to clear the snow from the driveway if it was deep first thing in the morning, but most shoveling was done by me on my own from the age of 10 on.

We only get a few snows of more than 3 feet a year; but here snowblowers are for the elite.  Most houses do not have them. People shovel.

mm1970

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #1162 on: September 28, 2018, 09:19:52 AM »

I think my in-laws got a snowblower when they hit their 60s.

zolotiyeruki

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1163 on: September 28, 2018, 10:06:18 AM »
My parents hired a plowing service when their youngest (me) left the house.  They were likewise in their 60's

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #1164 on: September 28, 2018, 10:25:15 AM »

I'm reasonably certain that my parents had me for the sole purpose of shoveling their driveway.  :P

Trifle

• Walrus Stache
    • In The Garden
« Reply #1165 on: September 28, 2018, 11:20:42 AM »

I'm reasonably certain that my parents had me for the sole purpose of shoveling their driveway.  :P

Damn.  You people are tougher than we were.  We lived 18 years in the snow belt of upstate NY.  When we were first married -- young and poor -- we shoveled the endless inches of heavy wet snow.  As soon as we could afford it, we got a snow blower.

I do see the attraction of having your kids do it, if they are strong enough.

RWD

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1166 on: September 28, 2018, 11:30:20 AM »
I do see the attraction of having your kids do it, if they are strong enough.

dcheesi

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1167 on: September 28, 2018, 11:44:09 AM »

Except on my face, I never rub the spray sunscreen in.
I never used to, but then I had a couple of incidents where I was outside all day, and the couple of spots that I missed (or is that mist? ;) wound up very burnt. Now I try to rub it in just to reduce the changes of completely missing a spot.

Fomerly known as something

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1168 on: September 28, 2018, 11:51:04 AM »
1. Drivers who merge at the last minute, passing everyone and causing delays even through they got notices to merge 5 miles ago.  These people should be eliminated!

Actually the zipper merge method is the most efficient.  https://auto.howstuffworks.com/traffic-lane-zipper-merge.htm

But I think I agree with you on your other points!

I was going to say people who don't understand the zipper merge.

Jouer

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1169 on: September 28, 2018, 12:24:10 PM »
Someone mentioned shoveling and mowing the lawn isn't a real workout. I agree 100% about mowing the lawn but shoveling snow is absolutely a great workout.

I use a wide push shovel to push the snow onto my lawn. It's a great workout, especially legs (while pushing) and shoulders/chest/arms (while extending at the end of the push over a snow bank).

btw, I'm mid-40s and live in Canada.

driftwood

• Bristles
« Reply #1170 on: September 28, 2018, 01:31:01 PM »
1. Drivers who merge at the last minute, passing everyone and causing delays even through they got notices to merge 5 miles ago.  These people should be eliminated!

Actually the zipper merge method is the most efficient.  https://auto.howstuffworks.com/traffic-lane-zipper-merge.htm

I didn't understand it until now. I wonder if they'll ever get drivers 'retrained' because I live in one of those states and I haven't seen any kind of retraining...

I'm a red panda

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1171 on: September 28, 2018, 01:42:22 PM »

I didn't understand it until now. I wonder if they'll ever get drivers 'retrained' because I live in one of those states and I haven't seen any kind of retraining...

We actually have signs up now that say "do not merge yet"  "do not merge yet".  "Merge now" "Take turns" "Be NICE"

MaybeBabyMustache

• Walrus Stache
    • My Wild Ride to FI
« Reply #1172 on: September 28, 2018, 02:34:03 PM »
People who aren't critical thinkers, or who can't step back & evaluate a situation outside of their bubble. I get it. We all have biases. Some of us work to try & understand our own biases, asks questions, find multiple sources for news, ask hard questions, ensure data matches up with theories, etc. . . There's an entire group of people out there missing critical thinking skills. My rant is less about them (that's an entirely separate rant, obviously), and more about the people who insist on debating them, with reason, logic & data to back up their argument. If the person has shown even a modicum of interest, great, have at that. If the person is unable to have a reasoned debate, please save yourself the trouble & walk away. Dad* on Facebook, love you, but it's time to walk away & give up people who blindly follow without the ability to live in reality.

*It should be noted that my father has fantastic critical thinking skills, but is somehow unable to realize he's debating with those who do not possess said skills.

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #1173 on: September 28, 2018, 06:00:52 PM »

this article ( https://www.nationalgeographic.com/environment/urban-expeditions/transportation/urban-expeditions-graphic-V21/ ) says that adding a 50lbs bag into the plane for a whole year will increase the fuel cost by 1545 usd.  or roughly 4,2 usd per day.   

i dont have any hard data, but i would think that the equipment, salaries and space for luggage handling is not a tiny part of the cost.

I'm sure those guys are smart, but calculating fuel cost per year is a really strange way to do it, and it really doesn't line up with the numbers I've seen.  Here's a back of the envelope calculation:

A fully loaded 747 weighs 910000 pounds, burns 1 gallon of fuel per second, and operates an average of 8 hours per day.  Assume fuel costs $5/gallon.  Cost per day for 50 pound bag = 8*3600*$5*50/910000 = 'bout $8. 

Now I don't have any hard data on handling costs, but my guy tells me one additional bag adds only a minute or two of actual handling time to normal operations, say 50 cents in wages.  Those baggage carts and conveyors can handle a lot of bags, and typically look ancient, so I don't think the depreciation from an additional bag is going to be anywhere near dollars per day.  So yeah my guy tells me that, even at a $4/day figure, fuel is the overriding cost.  But I guess my gut can agree to disagree with your gut since I really don't feel like digging into airline SEC filings for this disagreement :-P

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #1174 on: September 28, 2018, 06:28:06 PM »
People who aren't critical thinkers, or who can't step back & evaluate a situation outside of their bubble. I get it. We all have biases. Some of us work to try & understand our own biases, asks questions, find multiple sources for news, ask hard questions, ensure data matches up with theories, etc. . . There's an entire group of people out there missing critical thinking skills. My rant is less about them (that's an entirely separate rant, obviously), and more about the people who insist on debating them, with reason, logic & data to back up their argument. If the person has shown even a modicum of interest, great, have at that. If the person is unable to have a reasoned debate, please save yourself the trouble & walk away. Dad* on Facebook, love you, but it's time to walk away & give up people who blindly follow without the ability to live in reality.

*It should be noted that my father has fantastic critical thinking skills, but is somehow unable to realize he's debating with those who do not possess said skills.

But . . . sometimes those people on the internet are wrong!

markbike528CBX

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1175 on: September 29, 2018, 10:25:43 AM »

But . . . sometimes those people on the internet are wrong!
Or sometimes we're ALWAYS right. No need for critical thinking skills or to step back and evaluate a situation when you know you are always right.

My rant....people who always think they are right ;-).

Yep there are xkcd's for that.

https://xkcd.com/386/           someone is wrong on the Internet
https://xkcd.com/2051/          finding bad opinions to get worked up about

stahi

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1176 on: October 01, 2018, 02:13:49 AM »

I'm sure those guys are smart, but calculating fuel cost per year is a really strange way to do it, and it really doesn't line up with the numbers I've seen.  Here's a back of the envelope calculation:

A fully loaded 747 weighs 910000 pounds, burns 1 gallon of fuel per second, and operates an average of 8 hours per day.  Assume fuel costs $5/gallon.  Cost per day for 50 pound bag = 8*3600*$5*50/910000 = 'bout $8. 

Now I don't have any hard data on handling costs, but my guy tells me one additional bag adds only a minute or two of actual handling time to normal operations, say 50 cents in wages.  Those baggage carts and conveyors can handle a lot of bags, and typically look ancient, so I don't think the depreciation from an additional bag is going to be anywhere near dollars per day.  So yeah my guy tells me that, even at a $4/day figure, fuel is the overriding cost.  But I guess my gut can agree to disagree with your gut since I really don't feel like digging into airline SEC filings for this disagreement :-P

yes this might be true for a massive plane that loads up once and then flies for 8+ hours.  i have no idea how much they charge for extra luggage in those cases. but in my example the planes would be much smaller and flights would be maybe 30min+2hours and the bags would be processed 3 times, loaded and unloaded 2 times each.

with labour cost going from 30+ eur/hour even on a weekday working hours, i would expect it to be much more then 50 cents. but i guess we will have  to agree that the cost will vary wildly accosding to circumstances.

and yes i think digging up the information needed isnt really worth it for this = )

ketchup

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1177 on: October 01, 2018, 11:14:45 AM »
I'll defend some of the people scrambling to get on the plane first.  My girlfriend flies for work a lot, and she's a photographer.  She travels with her gear in a Pelican 1510 case, and there is no way in hell she will check it.  If it was delayed, she'd be screwed and unable to do the work she flew out for.  And if it was permanently lost, insurance via credit card only covers like $3k in value (her gear is about $10-12k total these days).  She always gets on the plane as early as possible, and if she's way at the back of the boarding groups, she will pay for a priority boarding upgrade if the flight is full.

I'm a red panda

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1178 on: October 01, 2018, 11:28:30 AM »
I'll defend some of the people scrambling to get on the plane first.  My girlfriend flies for work a lot, and she's a photographer.  She travels with her gear in a Pelican 1510 case, and there is no way in hell she will check it.  If it was delayed, she'd be screwed and unable to do the work she flew out for.  And if it was permanently lost, insurance via credit card only covers like $3k in value (her gear is about $10-12k total these days).  She always gets on the plane as early as possible, and if she's way at the back of the boarding groups, she will pay for a priority boarding upgrade if the flight is full.

She should consider airline credit cards. Almost all give you "group 1" (or whatever number it is after 900 different elite groups board).  I've never not gotten overhead space with group 1 boarding.

(I can't use my airline cards for work travel. I hate getting stuck in group 5 when I travel for work. Boo.)

ketchup

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1179 on: October 01, 2018, 11:33:06 AM »

She should consider airline credit cards. Almost all give you "group 1" (or whatever number it is after 900 different elite groups board).  I've never not gotten overhead space with group 1 boarding.

(I can't use my airline cards for work travel. I hate getting stuck in group 5 when I travel for work. Boo.)
99% of her flights are United, American, or Southwest.  She has an AA card, so that helps her there, but we're both way too far over 5/24 to qualify for United or SW cards. :)

Jouer

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1180 on: October 01, 2018, 11:59:58 AM »

99% of her flights are United, American, or Southwest.  She has an AA card, so that helps her there, but we're both way too far over 5/24 to qualify for United or SW cards. :)

It's not just credit cards that get you into the higher groups. Being part of airlines' loyalty programs is the way to get higher priority.

ketchup

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1181 on: October 01, 2018, 12:16:56 PM »

It's not just credit cards that get you into the higher groups. Being part of airlines' loyalty programs is the way to get higher priority.
She's definitely a member of both United and Southwest's frequent flier program, but I didn't know there was anything specific that gave you unless you do a billion flights a year.

Trifle

• Walrus Stache
    • In The Garden
« Reply #1182 on: October 01, 2018, 12:19:49 PM »

She's definitely a member of both United and Southwest's frequent flier program, but I didn't know there was anything specific that gave you unless you do a billion flights a year.

I think you're right -- membership gets you nothing (as far as I know) it's the miles/number of segments you fly

Just Joe

• Walrus Stache
  • Teach me something.
« Reply #1183 on: October 01, 2018, 12:21:31 PM »
The best thing about having a dog in the country is you don't have to be concerned about where they poop.  Oh, and you don't have to walk them either.  I can't wait to be living in the country again.

HEAR! HEAR!

Just Joe

• Walrus Stache
  • Teach me something.
« Reply #1184 on: October 01, 2018, 12:31:04 PM »
Jimmy Johns - large sub sandwiches made very quickly.  Biggest downside is they charge an arm and a leg for extra toppings.  I think the last time I went there I spent $8 on a sandwich and they wanted another $2 to put bacon on it.

I tried JJ's twice and neither times were the sandwiches very flavorful. Nearby is Bellacino's which has a great grinder. Also nearby is Firehouse Subs (really good IMO), Jersey Mike's (good) and Subway sandwich shops all over town (not as tasty but tastier than JJ's). Basically anything but JJ's at this point.

That said - I like a good sandwich (home or out) vs the endless hamburger joints our town has. Probably a dozen places or more to choose from. I love a good hamburger but I want more choices than just hamburgers.

Some people prefer food that is more bland. We have a Mediterranean place in town that we give a chance every few years. Every time - bland. We love Med foods. I also know someone who prefers bland foods. No toppings, not sauces, no seasoning.

Dragonswan

• Bristles
« Reply #1185 on: October 01, 2018, 03:29:58 PM »
haha- I'd never expect to get to any of those places you named non-stop :) 

I HATE when you end up needing overnight flights. Basically anything coming home from the west coast tries to pull that.

Yes I hate that all international flights from US East Coast to Europe are overnight and I'm expected to sleep in a tiny seat and be refreshed and ready to tour the next morning. And of course the flight attendants love to make you feel guilty if you don't want to sleep and require they actually do their job during the flight. One time I actually had the person sitting next to me turn off my in-seat screen because he thought I was sleeping and the glow of the screen bothered him.  I already sacrificed natural sunlight and the reading light in the name of letting others sleep, but this was an accommodation too far.

But coming back is a decent morning or afternoon flight with no expectation that I will need to sleep.

Hirondelle

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1186 on: October 01, 2018, 11:49:56 PM »
I'm always so envious of people who just fall asleep straight away on a flight. On my last trip (13h) the guy next to me started sleeping even before take-off. I'm usually completely sleepless, with the only advantage that it messes me up so much that the tiredness overrules the jet lag and that one night of decent sleep is sufficient to catapult me into the new rhytm. Sometimes I get lucky though and the seat next to me is free. When that happens, I lay down in some folded up position that exactly fits within the two seats and that's just comfortable enough for some 1-2 hour naps in between watching movies.

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #1187 on: October 01, 2018, 11:58:27 PM »
Jimmy Johns - large sub sandwiches made very quickly.  Biggest downside is they charge an arm and a leg for extra toppings.  I think the last time I went there I spent $8 on a sandwich and they wanted another $2 to put bacon on it.

I tried JJ's twice and neither times were the sandwiches very flavorful. Nearby is Bellacino's which has a great grinder. Also nearby is Firehouse Subs (really good IMO), Jersey Mike's (good) and Subway sandwich shops all over town (not as tasty but tastier than JJ's). Basically anything but JJ's at this point.

That said - I like a good sandwich (home or out) vs the endless hamburger joints our town has. Probably a dozen places or more to choose from. I love a good hamburger but I want more choices than just hamburgers.

Some people prefer food that is more bland. We have a Mediterranean place in town that we give a chance every few years. Every time - bland. We love Med foods. I also know someone who prefers bland foods. No toppings, not sauces, no seasoning.
Damn, we have great Mediterranean food in our area! We don't eat out often, but it's one of our favorites for birthdays and special occasions. I've had them cater a couple of events and their food always gets raves. Not bland at all and we're a spice lovin' family.

nnls

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1188 on: October 02, 2018, 12:17:38 AM »
I'm always so envious of people who just fall asleep straight away on a flight. On my last trip (13h) the guy next to me started sleeping even before take-off. I'm usually completely sleepless, with the only advantage that it messes me up so much that the tiredness overrules the jet lag and that one night of decent sleep is sufficient to catapult me into the new rhytm. Sometimes I get lucky though and the seat next to me is free. When that happens, I lay down in some folded up position that exactly fits within the two seats and that's just comfortable enough for some 1-2 hour naps in between watching movies.

I can usually fall asleep before we take off . If I have a window seat I dont until we have taken off and I can put the blind down so the light doesn't shine in and annoy other passengers. I was pleasantly surprised in the USA they let us have the blind down even for take off and landing so I could lower it and fall asleep as soon as I sat down

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1189 on: October 02, 2018, 06:47:38 AM »

Damn, we have great Mediterranean food in our area! We don't eat out often, but it's one of our favorites for birthdays and special occasions. I've had them cater a couple of events and their food always gets raves. Not bland at all and we're a spice lovin' family.

Same! We have fantastic Lebanese, Yemeni, Syrian, and Iraqi restaurants in our area. The food is definitely not bland.

Jouer

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1190 on: October 02, 2018, 11:10:46 AM »

I think you're right -- membership gets you nothing (as far as I know) it's the miles/number of segments you fly

Right but didn't you say she flies a lot for work? Always use the same 1 or 2 airlines and you get your segments in pretty easily. At least to get out of zones 4 and 5.

carolina822

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1191 on: October 02, 2018, 02:35:42 PM »

But then you wouldn't get that chance to ridicule people for not being as perfect as you. What's the fun in that?

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #1192 on: October 02, 2018, 10:39:49 PM »
The best thing about having a dog in the country is you don't have to be concerned about where they poop.  Oh, and you don't have to walk them either.  I can't wait to be living in the country again.

HEAR! HEAR!

I understand that you don't "have" to walk them, but I certainly hope you do.  It's a great time and healthy for you.

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #1193 on: October 02, 2018, 10:41:59 PM »

Oh, there are certainly people with good reasons.  But I still think the vast majority of line jockeys don't have as a reason like your GF.  Most people don't want to check their hairdryer or are just straight up entitled (same people who cut off lines of cars)

Dancin'Dog

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1194 on: October 03, 2018, 06:44:07 AM »

HEAR! HEAR!

I understand that you don't "have" to walk them, but I certainly hope you do.  It's a great time and healthy for you.

We get plenty of exercise up here without needing to walk them.  When they were younger I used to take them along on my atv trails rides.  They were happy running for 4-5 hours chasing me across the mountains, probably 25+ miles every week or two.  I'd stop at creek crossings for them to drink & rest a few minutes, and they'd get breaks while I cleared fallen trees from the trails. 
They also got plenty of exercise chasing rabbits, deer, and coyote out of our yard & through the woods.  Dogs have it made out in the country, especially in the mountains.  :)

ilsy

• Stubble
« Reply #1195 on: November 24, 2018, 07:52:42 PM »
Someone mentioned shoveling and mowing the lawn isn't a real workout. I agree 100% about mowing the lawn
Well, may be if you have a riding lawn mower, that is true. But try to mow with a push mower (even self propelled one) on a steep hill when it's 97F outside an area more than quater acre, and then say it's "not a real workout." I prefer shoveling my driveway, than mowing at high 90s F. First, my driveway is not close to half an acre, and second, I can loose a few layers when I get warm showeling, but there isn't much to loose at 97F. We do hit triple digits, but I don't mow at above 99F.

Just another note, everyone I know, my neighbors,  friends,  co-workers own a snow blower. We don't get to use it every time it snows, but it's better to have it and not use it, then the other way around. The only people who don't own it, are the ones who pay services to clean the snow.

SwordGuy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1196 on: November 24, 2018, 09:02:15 PM »

I debate with people like that.

I have little expectation that they will change their mind on the subject being debated and ZERO expectation that they will change their behavior regardless.

I debate those people for the benefit of others who may be listening in.  Other people who actually are amenable to learning something and making decisions that are fact-based.

Maybe your dad is, too.

If not, watch "Man of La Mancha" with Peter O'Toole and the incomparable Sophia Loren.   Maybe you'll learn to understand and appreciate what he does.   When people are silent in the presence of injustice or hatred or violence, injustice, hatred and violence flourish.  Give him a hug for me.  https://www.amazon.com/Man-Mancha-Peter-OToole/dp/B000W4SE0W/ref=sr_1_1?s=movies-tv&ie=UTF8&qid=1543118379&sr=1-1&keywords=man+of+la+mancha+peter+o%27toole

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #1197 on: November 27, 2018, 01:25:19 AM »
Someone mentioned shoveling and mowing the lawn isn't a real workout. I agree 100% about mowing the lawn

Just mow more lawns, and faster.  Mine's available if you want a "real workout"

soccerluvof4

• Walrus Stache
  • Retired at 50
    • My Journal
« Reply #1198 on: November 27, 2018, 02:42:42 AM »

Where I live shoveling is a hell of a workout. And a back breaker. I finally got my snowblower fixed for this year as last winter I was killing myself. Guess it depends on how much people have to shovel.  I workout everyday and doesnt get you in shape for shoveling.

Jouer

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1199 on: November 27, 2018, 06:35:43 AM »

haha...sure. I'd be happy to do it for about $150k a year and a green card.   ;-)

I wasn't saying you should get a service to cut your grass because mowing yourself isn't a workout. Just that mowing my suburban lawn isn't a workout for me. I get hot, yes. I need a beer after, yes. But I would never consider it a workout. I wouldn't if my lawn was twice as big.

But shoveling knee-high snow is absolutely a workout for me. My 4-car driveway has way smaller surface area than my front and back yards but it's still a much, much stronger workout. Size doesn't matter when comparing the two activities.

(I'm replying to a few people here at once, not just dragoncar)

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!