Author Topic: The 'I Don't Get It' thread. Rants accepted.  (Read 69999 times)

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
Re: The 'I Don't Get It' thread. Rants accepted.
« Reply #1000 on: August 09, 2018, 12:11:02 PM »
I don't get it when people use a public restroom and don't wash their hands after using the urinal or toilet. Restrooms at work or public have sinks with water, soap and ways to dry your hands. Most of us were trained as children to wash our hands after going to the potty. This is how we prevent disease! You can't 'see' this stuff on door knobs or door push plates or anywhere.

Unless you urinate on your hands, what's the reason for washing them?  Really you should wash first...your hands are probably much dirtier than whatever else you're touching when you go in there to pee.

I assume people who wash their hands after they pee must not have washed their genitals in the morning.

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #1001 on: August 09, 2018, 12:23:09 PM »
@GuitarStv -- I have to ask as I have wondered many times:  What is that picture in your avatar? Thanks.

It's one of H. R. Geiger's aliens on a time trial bicycle.

Trifele

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1002 on: August 09, 2018, 12:28:05 PM »
@GuitarStv -- I have to ask as I have wondered many times:  What is that picture in your avatar? Thanks.

That's what I thought!  but then I couldn't enlarge it for a closer look.  I like the Alien movies (just the first three).  Didn't know the name of the creator -- thanks. 

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #1003 on: August 09, 2018, 12:31:04 PM »

That's what I thought!  but then I couldn't enlarge it for a closer look.  I like the Alien movies (just the first three).  Didn't know the name of the creator -- thanks.

Geiger just did the art.  Ridley Scott filmed the movie.

Trifele

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1004 on: August 09, 2018, 12:45:46 PM »

Geiger just did the art.  Ridley Scott filmed the movie.

Yeah that's what I meant -- the alien art

OurTown

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1005 on: August 09, 2018, 02:24:44 PM »
I don't get it when people use a public restroom and don't wash their hands after using the urinal or toilet. Restrooms at work or public have sinks with water, soap and ways to dry your hands. Most of us were trained as children to wash our hands after going to the potty. This is how we prevent disease! You can't 'see' this stuff on door knobs or door push plates or anywhere.

Unless you urinate on your hands, what's the reason for washing them?  Really you should wash first...your hands are probably much dirtier than whatever else you're touching when you go in there to pee.

I assume people who wash their hands after they pee must not have washed their genitals in the morning.

There is some very old joke about "Harvard men" and "Columbia men" the gist of which is "At Harvard, we wash our hands," followed by "At Columbia, we don't piss on them." 

Don't look at me, I went to Duke.

solon

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1006 on: August 09, 2018, 02:30:46 PM »
At flight school I heard:

Pilots wash their hands after going to the bathroom.
Mechanics wash their hands before going to the bathroom.

Dabnasty

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1007 on: August 09, 2018, 02:57:20 PM »

There is some very old joke about "Harvard men" and "Columbia men" the gist of which is "At Harvard, we wash our hands," followed by "At Columbia, we don't piss on them." 

Don't look at me, I went to Duke.

So you have someone wash your hands for you?

OurTown

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1008 on: August 09, 2018, 02:58:07 PM »
LOL.

DreamFIRE

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1009 on: August 09, 2018, 03:04:08 PM »
(I am however extremely grossed out by people who don't wash their hands after shitting.)

Even worse if it's one of those people that said they were cutting costs by using their hands instead of toilet paper.

WranglerBowman

• Stubble
« Reply #1010 on: August 09, 2018, 04:40:12 PM »
I don't get it why Amazon packs small items into large boxes or why some people find it all right to fight in public (I live right in the city).
Rule #1 of Fight Club is pretty clear.
Rule #2 of Fight Club is pretty clear as well.  Also, I don't want to fight in my house because things could get broken.

Roadrunner53

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1011 on: August 10, 2018, 08:01:20 AM »
If you feel your hands are so clean because you took a shower and put your wee wee in clean shorts in the morning then peed later and didn't wash your hands because you are so clean, how would you like a surgeon to operate on you with the same thought process? Your hind end is inside your clean shorts and things migrate around down there. Also, think of all the gross things you have touched before you peed and touched yourself and introduced more germs to yourself. You now have other people's bacteria all over you. BLEH!

Cranky

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1012 on: August 10, 2018, 09:37:11 AM »
Well, I've got nothing to add to the Clean Penis Debate, as entertaining as it is, but - washing your hands regularly is a pretty good way to avoid catching every cold and virus that goes around, and standing at the sink in the bathroom seems like a convenient time to do that.

Roadrunner53

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1013 on: August 10, 2018, 09:55:22 AM »
Just one more thing to think about. How would you like to use the urinal and standing beside you is the chef in a restaurant you are eating at in a few minutes. He walks out without washing his hands.  You asked for a tossed salad and he tossed the lettuce with his bare hands and added tomatoes and other garnish to the salad. He also touched your plate and other foods on your plate with his unwashed hands. Sounds yummy, doesn't it?

But I guess he took a shower and his wee wee was clean as a whistle! No issues there!

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #1014 on: August 10, 2018, 10:11:46 AM »
Just one more thing to think about. How would you like to use the urinal and standing beside you is the chef in a restaurant you are eating at in a few minutes. He walks out without washing his hands.  You asked for a tossed salad and he tossed the lettuce with his bare hands and added tomatoes and other garnish to the salad. He also touched your plate and other foods on your plate with his unwashed hands. Sounds yummy, doesn't it?

But I guess he took a shower and his wee wee was clean as a whistle! No issues there!

From this thread I've learned that it would be cleaner for the chef to toss the salad with his dick (clean since his morning shower) than his hands (super dirty because they are always touching things).

:P

Roadrunner53

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1015 on: August 10, 2018, 10:22:05 AM »

From this thread I've learned that it would be cleaner for the chef to toss the salad with his dick (clean since his morning shower) than his hands (super dirty because they are always touching things).

I agree, probably true. Morale of the story: wash your hands, make your own food, eat at home.

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #1016 on: August 10, 2018, 11:34:28 AM »

Gross as it sounds, itís probably true.  Someone with agar do a washed dick culture and an unwashed hand culture and get back to us

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #1017 on: August 10, 2018, 11:35:11 AM »
At flight school I heard:

Pilots wash their hands after going to the bathroom.
Mechanics wash their hands before going to the bathroom.

Dude you forgot the first rule of flight club

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #1018 on: August 10, 2018, 11:36:57 AM »
If you feel your hands are so clean because you took a shower and put your wee wee in clean shorts in the morning then peed later and didn't wash your hands because you are so clean, how would you like a surgeon to operate on you with the same thought process? Your hind end is inside your clean shorts and things migrate around down there. Also, think of all the gross things you have touched before you peed and touched yourself and introduced more germs to yourself. You now have other people's bacteria all over you. BLEH!

Nice straw man.  I wouldnít want a surgeon using his bare hands, washed or not, touching genitals or not.  There is a reason hygeine standards are higher for surgeons than food prep

I'm a red panda

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1019 on: August 10, 2018, 12:30:55 PM »

Gross as it sounds, itís probably true.  Someone with agar do a washed dick culture and an unwashed hand culture and get back to us

It needs to be washed like 5 hours ago, and had just been used to urinate. Not a freshly washed one.

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #1020 on: August 10, 2018, 12:31:31 PM »

This must also be why armpits never smell, right?  I mean they get washed and then just sit there under my shirt . .. untouched by the dirty outer world.

driftwood

• Stubble
« Reply #1021 on: August 10, 2018, 02:11:27 PM »

I don't care if either the chef or the surgeon washed their hands when they used the bathroom. I care that they washed their hands before touching anything in the kitchen, or starting a surgery. When I go to prepare food in my house I wash my hands, so whether I came straight from the bathroom or just sitting on the couch I'm starting with clean hands. I think surgeons work the same way too... scrubbing before a surgery.

sui generis

• Bristles
« Reply #1022 on: August 10, 2018, 02:54:16 PM »

I don't care if either the chef or the surgeon washed their hands when they used the bathroom. I care that they washed their hands before touching anything in the kitchen, or starting a surgery. When I go to prepare food in my house I wash my hands, so whether I came straight from the bathroom or just sitting on the couch I'm starting with clean hands. I think surgeons work the same way too... scrubbing before a surgery.
This.  I wash my hands in the bathroom because it is the norm and it is a convenient time, being right there by a sink, to wash and try to maintain some semblence of basic hygiene.  Much less so because of what I did in the bathroom.  But I go more out of my way to wash my hands depending on what I am about to do next.  Like prepping dinner.  Or taking my contacts out of my eyes, etc.  And between all that, I feel like it adds up to a decent amount of handwashing per day to maintain health and reduce the risk of communicable disease. 

I mean, the bathroom is a tiny bit arbitrary - you know that coworker that just walked out of the bathroom without washing her hands, so you were super careful to grab the door handle with a paper towel?  Yeah, she just went straight to the company kitchen to make coffee and open the refrigerator and use that sink. Oh and she sneezed right before she did that as well...is anyone using a paper towel to touch all those things, too?  We all feel like the bathroom is a place to be super germaphobic, but spend the rest of the day touching lots of gross things.  Really, the bathroom is just a convenient place to wash your hands, which you should probably do even if you didn't just use a toilet and even if you don't have to touch a single thing in that bathroom.

Miss Piggy

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1023 on: August 10, 2018, 03:03:52 PM »
I mean, the bathroom is a tiny bit arbitrary - you know that coworker that just walked out of the bathroom without washing her hands, so you were super careful to grab the door handle with a paper towel?  Yeah, she just went straight to the company kitchen to make coffee and open the refrigerator and use that sink. Oh and she sneezed right before she did that as well...is anyone using a paper towel to touch all those things, too?  We all feel like the bathroom is a place to be super germaphobic, but spend the rest of the day touching lots of gross things.  Really, the bathroom is just a convenient place to wash your hands, which you should probably do even if you didn't just use a toilet and even if you don't have to touch a single thing in that bathroom.

Germophobe here (but I have a very valid reason to avoid germs, which I won't get into here). I get re-annoyed every morning when I have to touch EIGHT door handles and elevator buttons to get to my desk at work. The elevator buttons are fairly easy to avoid using an elbow if I'm not carrying too much stuff, but the doors are very heavy, and depending on the direction I'm walking through them, I have no choice but to grab the handle. (If I'm walking the other direction, I'll kick it open.)  The good news is that women in my office never leave the restroom without at least a cursory wash. (That said, yes, I still grab the bathroom door handle with a paper towel.)  Ugh. I have issues.

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #1024 on: August 10, 2018, 04:04:24 PM »

This must also be why armpits never smell, right?  I mean they get washed and then just sit there under my shirt . .. untouched by the dirty outer world.

BO bacteria are not harmful.  They are natural body flora.  Again, sounds gross but not going to cause illness

Roadrunner53

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1025 on: August 10, 2018, 06:08:01 PM »
There are so many disgusting things to touch that we all have to be careful of. Yes, you washed your pee pee then you went to the grocery store. You go to a grocery store and you grab a cart where some kid crapped his pants and his mother changed the diaper in the seat on the cart. You open the freezer doors to get out some veggies and other junk. Some of the veggies were placed in the freezer by some sick kid who had a cold and sneezed all over his hands while putting junk in the freezer. Then you go to the deli. The guy who is cutting your meat is also sick and coughing while cutting your sliced ham. The cashier is checking you out and she has been touching dirty money and things and touches all your junk you are buying. Then you, who have washed your wiener that was magnificently washed, you now have to pee. You take your wing ding out of your clean shorts and think of all the gross junk you have touched and are now touching your wing ding. UGH! So many germs everywhere.

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #1026 on: August 10, 2018, 06:27:51 PM »
There are so many disgusting things to touch that we all have to be careful of. Yes, you washed your pee pee then you went to the grocery store. You go to a grocery store and you grab a cart where some kid crapped his pants and his mother changed the diaper in the seat on the cart. You open the freezer doors to get out some veggies and other junk. Some of the veggies were placed in the freezer by some sick kid who had a cold and sneezed all over his hands while putting junk in the freezer. Then you go to the deli. The guy who is cutting your meat is also sick and coughing while cutting your sliced ham. The cashier is checking you out and she has been touching dirty money and things and touches all your junk you are buying. Then you, who have washed your wiener that was magnificently washed, you now have to pee. You take your wing ding out of your clean shorts and think of all the gross junk you have touched and are now touching your wing ding. UGH! So many germs everywhere.

I prefer to just pull down my pants and aim by pure willpower.  Keep the dick clean

solon

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1027 on: August 10, 2018, 07:09:47 PM »

I hate it when the cashiers are checking me out and then touching all my junk and things.

Primm

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1028 on: August 11, 2018, 12:48:38 AM »

Nice straw man.  I wouldnít want a surgeon using his bare hands, washed or not, touching genitals or not.  There is a reason hygeine standards are higher for surgeons than food prep

Yep. Surgeons are putting their hands (albeit gloved) into open body cavities. Touching intact skin or things that other people touch with their intact skin is not even close to the same thing.

BookLoverL

• Stubble
« Reply #1029 on: August 13, 2018, 01:20:16 AM »
Of course I always wash my hands before starting food prep, after using the bathroom, and after taking the litter out. But I really don't see how there are any more germs on a bathroom door handle than in a myriad of other places that you don't think about.

And yes, a surgeon or other hospital worker should have much higher standards of hygiene when at work than anywhere else, which should involve gloves, disinfectants, and thorough washes immediately before starting procedures...

EricL

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1030 on: August 13, 2018, 01:29:57 AM »
I used to work in a hospital.  The management had to remind the staff to constantly wash their hands.  I've heard this is not uncommon.

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #1031 on: August 13, 2018, 11:44:33 AM »
I used to work in a hospital.  The management had to remind the staff to constantly wash their hands.  I've heard this is not uncommon.

Hospitals are known to be pretty filthy.  They do a decent job, considering, but itís still best to be more careful in hospitals and clinics.

Still, I trust that the OR is held to a higher standard than the general premesis.

I'm a red panda

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1032 on: August 13, 2018, 12:04:34 PM »

I was recently in a hospital and had a blood draw that sprayed on a chair that the woman who drew it didn't notice. I pointed it out to the next person who came in (x-ray tech). He got a wet paper towel, wiped it up.
He never put a glove on or washed his hand afterwards.

I wrote a note to the hospital to remind their staff of universal precautions.  I mean, my blood is fine- but uh... it was an ER, they didn't know that.

DirtDiva

• Stubble
« Reply #1033 on: August 13, 2018, 08:11:06 PM »
1.  Long plastic/fake fingernails, because they are gross and provide a huge crevice for bacteria, and because they effectively make your hands useless.

2.  Tarantula length and thickness eyelashes.  I find it hard to concentrate on what the person is saying because Iím busy wondering if it makes it hard to blink.

I guess Iím more Dirt than Diva.

( of course the previous generation of old codgers looked at my generation of teenagers and wondered why we wore our jeans so tight it was hard to sit down, and so it goes)