Author Topic: The 'I Don't Get It' thread. Rants accepted.  (Read 204875 times)

I Want to Believe

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Re: The 'I Don't Get It' thread. Rants accepted.
« Reply #550 on: June 15, 2018, 08:30:52 AM »
Something I don't get, Vanity Plates on vehicles!

Dancin'Dog

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #551 on: June 15, 2018, 09:18:21 AM »

Ditto.

Also, why do people block their plates when posting pics of vehicles online?  Can you get their address or other info from a license plate number?  I mean we all see hundreds of them on the roads every day.

Roadrunner53

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #552 on: June 15, 2018, 09:42:25 AM »
I don't get why people throw their garbage on the ground. People like to go to beautiful parks and clean downtown areas, beaches. People like to eat in clean restaurants. Why do people act like animals? There are plenty of garbage cans to use. People throw out beer cans and booze bottles out in our front lawn all the time. It is always a pleasure to step on broken glass, rusted can lids at the beach or step on a hypodermic needle. No better way to ruin a day out than spending it in the clinic getting your foot sewn up or worrying about getting AIDS.

Trifle

• Walrus Stache
    • In The Garden
« Reply #553 on: June 15, 2018, 09:50:53 AM »

Ditto.

Also, why do people block their plates when posting pics of vehicles online?  Can you get their address or other info from a license plate number?  I mean we all see hundreds of them on the roads every day.

I just searched online for my own license plate number and quickly found the VIN.  With the VIN, I quickly found a company that offered to sell me a complete report on the vehicle owner with name, address, and phone number -- for $2.95. 

If companies are selling those reports that cheap, I think there is probably a way to do it yourself online for free . . .

Hula Hoop

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #554 on: June 15, 2018, 10:50:23 AM »
I don't get why people throw their garbage on the ground. People like to go to beautiful parks and clean downtown areas, beaches. People like to eat in clean restaurants. Why do people act like animals? There are plenty of garbage cans to use. People throw out beer cans and booze bottles out in our front lawn all the time. It is always a pleasure to step on broken glass, rusted can lids at the beach or step on a hypodermic needle. No better way to ruin a day out than spending it in the clinic getting your foot sewn up or worrying about getting AIDS.

This morning on the way to work I saw a woman throw a cigarette on the sidewalk and then walk into a church I'm assuming to pray.  Maybe she went in there to confess her littering sins.

NoraLenderbee

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #555 on: June 15, 2018, 01:24:54 PM »
I don't get why shaving legs isn't a socially acceptable thing for men, but shaving your face is.

It's definitely acceptable among bicyclists. Shaved legs show off the muscles really well.

Travis

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #556 on: June 15, 2018, 03:10:02 PM »
I don't get why shaving legs isn't a socially acceptable thing for men, but shaving your face is.

It's definitely acceptable among bicyclists. Shaved legs show off the muscles really well.

It seems more socially acceptable for men if they have a functional reason for doing so.  I see shaved legs on male runners and swimmers a lot.

Trifle

• Walrus Stache
    • In The Garden
« Reply #557 on: June 15, 2018, 03:38:11 PM »
Speaking of male shaving customs, I have often wondered why more men don't shave their underarms.  (Or maybe they do, and I just don't know about it.)

I've had both hairy and shaved underarms, and shaved is more comfortable. It feels cooler, and I stink less.   

Dancin'Dog

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #558 on: June 15, 2018, 04:20:19 PM »
I've been shaving my pits so the deodorant works better.  Otherwise, it gets wasted & doesn't work very well.

I'm old enough to not care about what anybody thinks. 

shinn497

• Bristles
« Reply #559 on: June 15, 2018, 04:34:11 PM »
I don't get why people get so excited about kids.

They are load, emit a bunch of gross fluids, cost a ton of money, require a ton of time, and are stressful. I mean human capital is important and all but I just don't see the draw.

I have a poo poo dating life, but if I ever had a gf, I would want to spend my time going on amazing dates and being able to enjoy each other rather than raising a kid but hey that is me.

ysette9

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #560 on: June 15, 2018, 05:43:55 PM »

They are load, emit a bunch of gross fluids, cost a ton of money, require a ton of time, and are stressful. I mean human capital is important and all but I just don't see the draw.

I have a poo poo dating life, but if I ever had a gf, I would want to spend my time going on amazing dates and being able to enjoy each other rather than raising a kid but hey that is me.
To sum up succinctly: because we are programmed by evolution to have a deep-seated desire to reproduce, as that is the very definition of life. Maybe that isn’t true for everyone on the individual level, but as a population it certainly is. As rational as you can be about it (and I don’t disagree with your assessment), when the brain kicks in and says “I need a baby” it is an incredibly intense siren call.

Side note; My kids do produce loads, but they tend to be loud, not load. :)

shinn497

• Bristles
« Reply #561 on: June 15, 2018, 05:52:28 PM »

To sum up succinctly: because we are programmed by evolution to have a deep-seated desire to reproduce, as that is the very definition of life. Maybe that isn’t true for everyone on the individual level, but as a population it certainly is. As rational as you can be about it (and I don’t disagree with your assessment), when the brain kicks in and says “I need a baby” it is an incredibly intense siren call.

The thing that got is is somewhere along the line a baby went from being a burden (as a teenager) to a blessing. Personally I think I'm still a teenager, so everytime a friend has a baby I freak out a bit then remember that its something to be happy about.

I also wonder if it makes sense when you are in a relationship for a long time? Because I'm 31 and not feeling it at all.

Also maybe you guys can understand this a bit more here. How, really now, how expensive are kids really? MMM convinced me they are not. However, some of my peers seem to always blame their money problems on their kids. And then they tell me "I'll understand when I have kids." and I'm like really?

That makes me a bit salty since dating has always been so emotional and difficult for me. And they just seem to ignore that. Like I've missed out on decades of love and happiness, and it honestly feels like I'm going to die alone most days,  and that is just something that others seem to think I can change like tommorow.

NV Teacher

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #562 on: June 15, 2018, 08:24:00 PM »
I belong to a couple of Facebook yard sale type groups.  I’d say at least five times a week I see people selling kid stuff on there that blows my mind.  Just today there was a post selling 17 pair of toddler shoes.  I’m a grown person with a professional career and a few hobbies and I don’t own 17 pairs of shoes.  The one that really blew my mind was the lady selling over 100 pieces of baby clothes sized newborn to 6 months.  I don’t get it.

FenderBender

• Stubble
« Reply #563 on: June 15, 2018, 08:48:26 PM »
i don't get paying hugely for disneyland and the like then waiting in hour(s) long lines for a ride that lasts 2 minutes?

and what i really don't get is seemingly smart people spending lots of time typing out long detailed responses on forums talking about super trival dumb a s s s h i t.  if you have more than 300 posts on a forum, you should consider a hobby that burns calories, but maybe it doesn't matter since many are burning their employer's time on forums while at the same time  saying how high their pay is and how great they are at their job and that they are just so much better than their peers at work.   

i come here about every 3 months just to see with thread titles are any better.  ya want to meet perfect people just read a forum.  funny.

Hula Hoop

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #564 on: June 16, 2018, 02:06:07 AM »
I belong to a couple of Facebook yard sale type groups.  I’d say at least five times a week I see people selling kid stuff on there that blows my mind.  Just today there was a post selling 17 pair of toddler shoes.  I’m a grown person with a professional career and a few hobbies and I don’t own 17 pairs of shoes.  The one that really blew my mind was the lady selling over 100 pieces of baby clothes sized newborn to 6 months.  I don’t get it.

That is indeed nuts.  OTOH, my younger daughter has received a ton of really nice hand me downs from her older sister's friends, who are mostly only children or have little brothers.  She loves fashion so it's great for her as she can change outfits every day.  But I could definitely see myself having to offload 10 pairs off shoes at a time most of which were hand me downs.  I would give them away not sell them though as I think it's kind of cheap to sell clothes you received as hand me downs from friends.

shelivesthedream

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #565 on: June 16, 2018, 03:23:39 AM »

That is indeed nuts.  OTOH, my younger daughter has received a ton of really nice hand me downs from her older sister's friends, who are mostly only children or have little brothers.  She loves fashion so it's great for her as she can change outfits every day.  But I could definitely see myself having to offload 10 pairs off shoes at a time most of which were hand me downs.  I would give them away not sell them though as I think it's kind of cheap to sell clothes you received as hand me downs from friends.

I'm currently selling 60 items of newborn clothing on eBay. Just newborn size. Because every time someone comes to see my baby they bring us Stuff (new stuff, no less); and my friend with an older baby gave us a bag of old clothes; and I bought a bundle of babygros on eBay before the torrent started because it only began after he was born and he needed to not be naked in the hospital.

I have spent £20 max on baby clothes and I will be surprised if we have to buy anything at all until he's in size 9 months plus (which at the rate he's growing will be well before he's actually nine months old). But I only know one other person with a baby of the right age and apparently they are also drowning under a torrent of newborn clothes. I'm sure a lot of it won't sell (99p bundles of 3-5 items) because EVERYONE with a baby is drowning. I'll relist anything that doesn't as one giant bundle and odds on it'll go for 99p or not at all. Then I'll list it on trashnothing and *maybe* someone will come and pick it up for free. Because why leave the house when people bring this stuff to you unasked?

Hirondelle

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #566 on: June 16, 2018, 04:44:58 AM »

I'm currently selling 60 items of newborn clothing on eBay. Just newborn size. Because every time someone comes to see my baby they bring us Stuff (new stuff, no less); and my friend with an older baby gave us a bag of old clothes; and I bought a bundle of babygros on eBay before the torrent started because it only began after he was born and he needed to not be naked in the hospital.

I have spent £20 max on baby clothes and I will be surprised if we have to buy anything at all until he's in size 9 months plus (which at the rate he's growing will be well before he's actually nine months old). But I only know one other person with a baby of the right age and apparently they are also drowning under a torrent of newborn clothes. I'm sure a lot of it won't sell (99p bundles of 3-5 items) because EVERYONE with a baby is drowning. I'll relist anything that doesn't as one giant bundle and odds on it'll go for 99p or not at all. Then I'll list it on trashnothing and *maybe* someone will come and pick it up for free. Because why leave the house when people bring this stuff to you unasked?

I once got the advice to bring clothes for a slightly older age. So now whenever I have to go to see a newborn (like, that's maybe happened 3x over my lifetime) I bring clothes in the 9 mon - 1 year size. Also good if people turn out to have a large baby that won't even fit in the 1000s of newborn clothes.

NorCal

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #567 on: June 16, 2018, 07:19:55 AM »

I'm in the same boat.  The culture in my neighborhood is that if you say "yes" to hand me downs, you get everything the other child has ever worn.  I consider this a MPP.  We love the hand me downs, but there is SO MUCH of it.  We literally have bags of the stuff we have never opened.

I want to give the stuff away, but most of my friends with younger kids haven't wanted it.  I'd probably have better luck selling it at a garage sale.

On a related note, anyone in the SF Bay Area want some baby clothes or toys for the 0 - 12 month range?

wenchsenior

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #568 on: June 16, 2018, 08:54:29 AM »

I also wonder if it makes sense when you are in a relationship for a long time? Because I'm 31 and not feeling it at all.

That makes me a bit salty since dating has always been so emotional and difficult for me. And they just seem to ignore that. Like I've missed out on decades of love and happiness, and it honestly feels like I'm going to die alone most days,  and that is just something that others seem to think I can change like tommorow.

Meh...  There are a surprising number of people that are just not wired for the parenting urge. I have a 'care-taking/nurturing' urge, but it has never been focused on kids.  And I've been in a happy, stable relationship for :pauses to count: 28 years, so that made no difference, either.  This biological clock thing?  Never had the slightest inkling.  Many of my friends and family are either similar, or have slightly more interest in kids than I do (are attracted to babies, or like to interact with little kids), but not enough to make a big effort to have them.

It's not actually that uncommon, and my impression is it has become much more culturally acceptable in the past 20 years to express no interest.  I've never had any notable push-back about being disinterested in parenting (that I remember, anyway).

DreamFIRE

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #569 on: June 16, 2018, 09:11:54 AM »

I've never been interested in kids, either.  I don't even like to be around a bunch of noisy kids.  But being single, I pay higher  taxes to subsidize couples and kids, so I'm basically paying for them anyway.

Sojourner

• Stubble
« Reply #570 on: June 16, 2018, 09:24:23 AM »

I've never been interested in kids, either.  I don't even like to be around a bunch of noisy kids.  But being single, I pay higher  taxes to subsidize couples and kids, so I'm basically paying for them anyway.

Ditto.  I wish the tax system (local and federal...income/property) was more fair about this.  If you have kids, you are a larger burden on society/environment, use more resources, increase the need for schools/infrastructure, etc.   You should pay more taxes.  I don't get why everything is the opposite of what is fair.

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #571 on: June 16, 2018, 09:32:00 AM »
i don't get paying hugely for disneyland and the like then waiting in hour(s) long lines for a ride that lasts 2 minutes?
OMG, could not agree more!

and what i really don't get is seemingly smart people spending lots of time typing out long detailed responses on forums talking about super trival dumb a s s s h i t.  if you have more than 300 posts on a forum, you should consider a hobby that burns calories, but maybe it doesn't matter since many are burning their employer's time on forums while at the same time  saying how high their pay is and how great they are at their job and that they are just so much better than their peers at work.   

I found MMM at the beginning and stumbled the forum shortly after it started. I was closer to FIRE than I realized, but I had been slogging it out alone for many years before this method of communication existed. This community got me over the finish line. I am so grateful. Five years post-FIRE, I am still here. Not because I'm the unintelligent loser you mock, but because I have a strong desire to make the journey easier for others, especially single women. I have hobbies that burn calories, and I like helping people. For the record, I have a rewarding life and over 300 posts. Lots of people here do. You don't have to be one of them and everything will be just fine.

i come here about every 3 months just to see with thread titles are any better.  ya want to meet perfect people just read a forum.  funny.
Hmmm, I've got nothing here, except maybe...see you again in three months?

shelivesthedream

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #572 on: June 16, 2018, 09:39:30 AM »

Ditto.  I wish the tax system (local and federal...income/property) was more fair about this.  If you have kids, you are a larger burden on society/environment, use more resources, increase the need for schools/infrastructure, etc.   You should pay more taxes.  I don't get why everything is the opposite of what is fair.

Duh, that's the point of taxes! Everyone bands together and pays into a communal pot to:
1. Pay for things that it's difficult to pay for piecemeal (like roads)
2. Spread the risk of life. You don't know if you're going to be the one to spend some time unemployed or become disabled or have some children who need educating.

It's partly "enforced charity" and partly hedging your bets about what life will hand you. Sure, a crystal ball to know exactly how much you'll cash out so you can adjust what you pay in would be great, but  it's:
1. Not available.
2. Would screw up the whole "communal pot" idea.

If you hate taxes that much, why not try to get an exemption like the Amish?

Cranky

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #573 on: June 16, 2018, 09:52:01 AM »
I figure we're all better off in a society where kids go to school, so I'm happy to chip in. Heck, I pay taxes that go for roads, and you don't see me driving!

This has been a very entertaining thread.

sui generis

• Magnum Stache
  • she/her
« Reply #574 on: June 16, 2018, 09:54:45 AM »

Duh, that's the point of taxes! Everyone bands together and pays into a communal pot to:
2. Spread the risk of life. You don't know if you're going to be the one to spend some time unemployed or become disabled or have some children who need educating.

It's partly "enforced charity" and partly hedging your bets about what life will hand you. Sure, a crystal ball to know exactly how much you'll cash out so you can adjust what you pay in would be great, but  it's:
1. Not available.

As another person who really is not a fan of children, I couldn't agree more here. Taxes have very indirect benefits as well as direct. I'm happy to pay for the education system that I'll never make use of, because it makes my life better to be surrounded by people that are educated and have the opportunity to prosper. So it is with every other thing my taxes pay for but that I will never directly use or need. We're trying to have a society here! Taxes aren't just about having a middleman to buy the things for you that you personally need to use!

sherr

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #575 on: June 16, 2018, 10:02:11 AM »

People with kids do pay more taxes, in the form of higher property taxes (larger house) and more sales taxes (buy more stuff). That's literally the logic of having those forms of taxes instead of just having solely income tax; you pay in proportion to what you consume.

Sailor Sam

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
  • Semper...something
« Reply #576 on: June 16, 2018, 10:09:28 AM »

If you'd like, you can imagine your full tax burden being shunted over to supporting me. I live entirely at the largess of the government teat. Housing, food, healthcare, nose tip to toenails

I suppose I keep (some) drugs from hitting the US coastline, and I've saved a few lives of generally stupid people who really should have known better. But as for service in exchange for your support, I'm almost 40 years old and my ACL alone cost the taxpayers $40k to repair. My steel ocean steed costs upwards of 4 million per year to maintain an fuel. The kids will give you a much better ROI. Go for the kids, I say.

shelivesthedream

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #577 on: June 16, 2018, 10:12:46 AM »
education system that I'll never make use of

Did it not educate you? You got your education first and get taxed to pay for it later. (Correlation between good education and high earnings means fair to pay more taxes if higher income?) Alas for the tax-haters, you can't demand not to have been educated in order to not pay for it.

Sojourner

• Stubble
« Reply #578 on: June 16, 2018, 10:13:41 AM »

1. Not available.

Duh, I never said I don't see the value in paying taxes.  Where in there was it stated I hate taxes?...duh.   Read more carefully next time.  I said people with kids should pay more, not less.

sui generis

• Magnum Stache
  • she/her
« Reply #579 on: June 16, 2018, 10:21:38 AM »
education system that I'll never make use of

Did it not educate you? You got your education first and get taxed to pay for it later. (Correlation between good education and high earnings means fair to pay more taxes if higher income?) Alas for the tax-haters, you can't demand not to have been educated in order to not pay for it.

I'm not sure why you quoted me to make a point about tax haters, since I said I'd rather pay more.  But, I also think your framing is not productive.  When thinking about the value of paying taxes, we shouldn't frame it (just) about how it benefits us personally, and that's the only justification for taxes ("I pay later for the benefit I got earlier").  I personally think it's *really, really* important to instill a culture where we know taxes pay for *our society* to benefit and believe that's the right thing to do.  If we keep propping up the idea that taxes are only legitimate to the extent they have a direct and measurable benefit on my personal life, we are going to have the spiraling effect of what's already happening in America and what the childless poster above promotes.  If every single tax has to have a direct nexus to an individual benefit for every taxpayer than we can have no taxes.  We need a culture that acknowledges, and even celebrates, that we pay for things that have no direct impact on us, but only indirect benefits that make society as a whole better off.

Sojourner

• Stubble
« Reply #580 on: June 16, 2018, 10:22:46 AM »

People with kids do pay more taxes, in the form of higher property taxes (larger house) and more sales taxes (buy more stuff). That's literally the logic of having those forms of taxes instead of just having solely income tax; you pay in proportion to what you consume.

I wish.

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #581 on: June 16, 2018, 10:28:32 AM »
Meh...  There are a surprising number of people that are just not wired for the parenting urge. I have a 'care-taking/nurturing' urge, but it has never been focused on kids.  And I've been in a happy, stable relationship for :pauses to count: 28 years, so that made no difference, either.  This biological clock thing?  Never had the slightest inkling.  Many of my friends and family are either similar, or have slightly more interest in kids than I do (are attracted to babies, or like to interact with little kids), but not enough to make a big effort to have them.

It's not actually that uncommon, and my impression is it has become much more culturally acceptable in the past 20 years to express no interest.  I've never had any notable push-back about being disinterested in parenting (that I remember, anyway).

It has definitely become more acceptable. When I was in single-digit ages (30-ish years ago) and swore up and down that I never wanted to be a mommy, adults would laugh and tell me I would certainly change my mind and that everyone should have kids because what else would you do with your life? As a teenager (20-ish years ago), I heard all about how selfish and irresponsible it would be not to have kids. Now, very few people bat an eye. Recently, I think only one person has made a rude comment to the effect that a person can't become a responsible adult until they have kids. Given the source, I just chuckled.

I'm 40. Been married to the same man for 15 years. Still waiting to hear that clock ticking. We like other people's kids, but that hasn't translated to an urge to have our own.

shelivesthedream

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #582 on: June 16, 2018, 10:59:02 AM »
I'm going to duck out of this tax conversation and blame my baby* for my crankiness and my inability to do reading right now. (Please see my sig!) Sorry, folks!

*Aware of kid-related irony.

Roadrunner53

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #583 on: June 16, 2018, 11:18:33 AM »

Me too OtherJen, no tick tock of the biological clock. Now I am too old.

It has definitely become more acceptable. When I was in single-digit ages (30-ish years ago) and swore up and down that I never wanted to be a mommy, adults would laugh and tell me I would certainly change my mind and that everyone should have kids because what else would you do with your life? As a teenager (20-ish years ago), I heard all about how selfish and irresponsible it would be not to have kids. Now, very few people bat an eye. Recently, I think only one person has made a rude comment to the effect that a person can't become a responsible adult until they have kids. Given the source, I just chuckled.

I'm 40. Been married to the same man for 15 years. Still waiting to hear that clock ticking. We like other people's kids, but that hasn't translated to an urge to have our own.

DreamFIRE

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #584 on: June 16, 2018, 01:10:14 PM »

1. Not available.

Duh, I never said I don't see the value in paying taxes.  Where in there was it stated I hate taxes?...duh.   Read more carefully next time.  I said people with kids should pay more, not less.

Exactly.  I was surprised to see some of the other responses that missed the point that it wasn't about paying taxes in general, but unfair share of the tax burden for those that use the most resources compared to those who use less.

I posted this in a previous thread as an example, and it applies here and should clarify what my original comment was referring to when I stated I was subsidizing families with kids.

Here are some figures I calculated with the Dinkytown 2018 tax calculator using a simple comparison:

Household income of single woman with no kids $70,000
Total federal income tax $8700

Household income of married couple with 2 kids $70,000
Total federal income tax $1139
Federal income tax per person $284.75

The single woman household pays over 7 1/2 times as much tax in this example.  She is subsidizing the family with kids by paying many more times in federal income taxes despite the family utilizing far more $ in public resources.  If you divide the tax by each person in the household, the difference in tax burden per household member is even more stark at over 30X!
« Last Edit: June 16, 2018, 01:17:34 PM by DreamFIRE »

HBFIRE

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #585 on: June 16, 2018, 04:50:31 PM »
I don't have children, but I understand that raising children is very expensive and we should subsidize that cost.  It's important for economic growth to make it more affordable to raise the future of our country.  With the birthrate at a current all time low (in the US), this is going to negatively impact our economy.  Now would be a bad time to make it harder on those who decide to have children.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2018, 04:52:59 PM by dustinst22 »

DreamFIRE

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #586 on: June 16, 2018, 05:47:52 PM »
I don't have children, but I understand that raising children is very expensive and we should subsidize that cost.  It's important for economic growth to make it more affordable to raise the future of our country.  With the birthrate at a current all time low (in the US), this is going to negatively impact our economy.  Now would be a bad time to make it harder on those who decide to have children.
That hardly justifies the considerably higher taxes on single people as mentioned in my last post and shown in the example.  7 1/2 X the taxes while using far less resources than the family of 4.

My view is that having children is something a married couple "chooses" to do, and they should pay for their own kids (a choice they made), not expect me to pay far more taxes than them because I chose not to make that same choice that they did.  People shouldn't be rewarded or penalized for having vs. not having kids.  If we drop the incomes in the example some more, the family pays $0 federal income taxes while the single person still pays thousands of dollars.  This is the unfairness that is being spoken of.

HBFIRE

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #587 on: June 16, 2018, 05:50:40 PM »
It ultimately comes down to the goals of the country.  Selfishly, I don't think it's fair.  But it benefits the economic goals of the country to provide these tax breaks.

FireEngineer

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #588 on: June 16, 2018, 06:11:38 PM »

1. Not available.

Exactly.  I was surprised to see some of the other responses that missed the point that it wasn't about paying taxes in general, but unfair share of the tax burden for those that use the most resources compared to those who use less.

I posted this in a previous thread as an example, and it applies here and should clarify what my original comment was referring to when I stated I was subsidizing families with kids.

Here are some figures I calculated with the Dinkytown 2018 tax calculator using a simple comparison:

Household income of single woman with no kids $70,000
Total federal income tax $8700

Household income of married couple with 2 kids $70,000
Total federal income tax $1139
Federal income tax per person $284.75

The single woman household pays over 7 1/2 times as much tax in this example.  She is subsidizing the family with kids by paying many more times in federal income taxes despite the family utilizing far more $ in public resources.  If you divide the tax by each person in the household, the difference in tax burden per household member is even more stark at over 30X!

The comparison you are making seems unjust. You should either compare a 70k income individual to a 140k income household or compare a 35k income individual to the 70k household income.

ETA
Since the 4 person household has 2 potential income earners.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2018, 06:13:44 PM by FireEngineer »

Dancin'Dog

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #589 on: June 16, 2018, 08:27:02 PM »
Kid's are an investment in our future.  If you don't want to contribute by having children, then get out your checkbook.  ;) 

Peace and quiet aren't cheap.

Imma

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #590 on: June 17, 2018, 02:47:46 AM »
Everybody has got to give and take. For the good of society, some people need to have children so we all have a younger generation. That younger generation needs food and healthcare and education to grow into adults that in turn will be a part of society. I don't personally drive a car, but some of my hard earned money is still going towards the building of roads through taxes. I don't live in an area where flooding is a risk, but some of my tax money is used to make flood-risk areas safer.

It's true that some people proportionally pay more taxes than others, but that's the nature of tax deductions. The only way to make that "fair" is to abolish tax deductions completely, which still feels "unfair" to many people. Mortgage interest is deductible, which benefits people with high incomes and high mortgages most of all.

Hula Hoop

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #591 on: June 17, 2018, 02:57:51 AM »
Everybody has got to give and take. For the good of society, some people need to have children so we all have a younger generation. That younger generation needs food and healthcare and education to grow into adults that in turn will be a part of society. I don't personally drive a car, but some of my hard earned money is still going towards the building of roads through taxes. I don't live in an area where flooding is a risk, but some of my tax money is used to make flood-risk areas safer.

It's true that some people proportionally pay more taxes than others, but that's the nature of tax deductions. The only way to make that "fair" is to abolish tax deductions completely, which still feels "unfair" to many people. Mortgage interest is deductible, which benefits people with high incomes and high mortgages most of all.

Yes - this.  Whether you have children or not, you have to acknowledge that raising children is worrk that's importannt to thw whole of society.  You may not like children while they are little but they're going to grow up to be the people who will pay the taxes to support you (even if not you individually as you probably have lots of savings - others of your generation who are not so fortunate) in your old age and keep the economy afloat.

fuzzy math

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #592 on: June 17, 2018, 06:09:07 AM »

My view is that having children is something a married couple "chooses" to do, and they should pay for their own kids (a choice they made), not expect me to pay far more taxes than them because I chose not to make that same choice that they did.  People shouldn't be rewarded or penalized for having vs. not having kids.  If we drop the incomes in the example some more, the family pays $0 federal income taxes while the single person still pays thousands of dollars.  This is the unfairness that is being spoken of.

It's only really in the last 50 years that the couple has been able to "choose" to have kids. If you think about it, choosing not to have kids is generally the more active choice.

pbkmaine

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #593 on: June 17, 2018, 06:51:12 AM »

The thing that got is is somewhere along the line a baby went from being a burden (as a teenager) to a blessing. Personally I think I'm still a teenager, so everytime a friend has a baby I freak out a bit then remember that its something to be happy about.

Also maybe you guys can understand this a bit more here. How, really now, how expensive are kids really? MMM convinced me they are not. However, some of my peers seem to always blame their money problems on their kids. And then they tell me "I'll understand when I have kids." and I'm like really?

If dating is hard for you, why not ask for help here? This forum is filled with introverts who had similar issues and overcame them with help.

zolotiyeruki

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #594 on: June 17, 2018, 08:11:26 AM »
Others have pointed out the need for a rising generation, but I'll be a bit more specific as to the reasons why.  We're all working towards (or already in) retirement, and depend on returns from index funds or pensions or rental income or Social Security to support ourselves.  All of those depend on the next generation in order to produce returns.  Companies won't be profitable without productive workers (and consumers!).  Pensions are similarly dependent on market returns.  Someone's gotta rent your property, and someone has to pay into Social Security.

So think of the taxes a single person pays as an...investment to help make sure there *is* a generation after us to support us in our retirement! :)

It's also worth pointing out that federal income tax is only one of the many types of taxes we are subject to, and is really the only one that exhibits the type of unfairness that you point out.  All the other taxes are more proportional--FICA, gas tax, sales tax, property tax, etc.

Roadrunner53

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #595 on: June 17, 2018, 08:28:10 AM »
Others have pointed out the need for a rising generation, but I'll be a bit more specific as to the reasons why.  We're all working towards (or already in) retirement, and depend on returns from index funds or pensions or rental income or Social Security to support ourselves.  All of those depend on the next generation in order to produce returns.  Companies won't be profitable without productive workers (and consumers!).  Pensions are similarly dependent on market returns.  Someone's gotta rent your property, and someone has to pay into Social Security.

So think of the taxes a single person pays as an...investment to help make sure there *is* a generation after us to support us in our retirement! :)

It's also worth pointing out that federal income tax is only one of the many types of taxes we are subject to, and is really the only one that exhibits the type of unfairness that you point out.  All the other taxes are more proportional--FICA, gas tax, sales tax, property tax, etc.

Good points!

Fomerly known as something

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #596 on: June 17, 2018, 08:36:08 AM »
Okay, here is another thing that pisses me off. I know younger people don't agree. It used to be you would buy a ticket to a concert and be assigned a seat. Now people stand during the whole concert even though they have a seat to sit in. So, even if you want to sit and enjoy the music you can't because the people in front of you are standing and you can see anything. The last concert I went to we had really good seats close to the stage. Didn't matter, we had to stand during the whole thing. I told the Hub that I never want to go to a concert again. What is the point of paying for seats you can't sit in? Seems very rude to me. What about the older people or handicapped people or short people?
I like being able to dance at concerts, so if possible standing room tickets are perfect. But it may be a case of everyone having to do it even though they don't want to, because it's the only way to see once the front row stands up. Or for better selfie angles :P
That's kinda like what happens on planes sometimes. I don't like to recline because it takes away someone else's space, and I don't like it when people recline on me, but if I lose my space, I pretty much need to recline too. I've always wished reclining made your own seat go forward at the same time, so if you do it you lose your own legroom, instead of taking away someone else's. Then it's a purely personal trade off instead of pushing the annoyance further down the line.

This is brilliant!

Cathy Pacific's seat do this at least in 2011,  Instead of reclining they kind of slide to the front. 

mrcheese

• Stubble
« Reply #597 on: June 19, 2018, 01:59:46 AM »

Call me picky, but my ideal phone simply doesn't exist.  All I want is a phone that works in the US with 2GB+ RAM, a good CPU, a body no larger than 130mm, a headphone jack, a user-replaceable battery, an SD card slot, and an unlocked bootloader (with good ROM support).  Such a device apparently doesn't exist.

No SD Slot (hard to find that these days), but the Iphone SE is a good phone with small dimensions.
Yes, it meets those two criteria.  But it doesn't have an SD card slot, doesn't have an unlocked bootloader, and only sorta has a user-replaceable battery.
I got a Samsung A3 from Hong Kong. Couldn't tell you if it has an unlocked bootloader but roughly speaking the A series are the new galaxy minis

zolotiyeruki

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #598 on: June 19, 2018, 07:52:56 AM »

Call me picky, but my ideal phone simply doesn't exist.  All I want is a phone that works in the US with 2GB+ RAM, a good CPU, a body no larger than 130mm, a headphone jack, a user-replaceable battery, an SD card slot, and an unlocked bootloader (with good ROM support).  Such a device apparently doesn't exist.

No SD Slot (hard to find that these days), but the Iphone SE is a good phone with small dimensions.
Yes, it meets those two criteria.  But it doesn't have an SD card slot, doesn't have an unlocked bootloader, and only sorta has a user-replaceable battery.
I got a Samsung A3 from Hong Kong. Couldn't tell you if it has an unlocked bootloader but roughly speaking the A series are the new galaxy minis
Hmmm, very interesting, although the battery isn't (easily) replaceable, and it's still too big (just 1/8" smaller than an iphone 7).

Grrr, I hate the glass-backed phone trend.  Sure, let's make the product more slippery and shatter-prone in the name of making it look "premium"!

carolina822

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #599 on: June 19, 2018, 10:30:59 AM »

And what's wrong with men wearing makeup. I mean don't get me wrong, I'm 100% against it and I'll make fun of my friends if they do, but why :?

I consider myself about as progressive as they come, and while I cannot logically come up with an actual reason why not, something about seeing men in makeup gives me the uber-creeps. I'm not proud of that, but it's there.