Author Topic: The 'I Don't Get It' thread. Rants accepted.  (Read 204888 times)

Roadrunner53

• Magnum Stache
Re: The 'I Don't Get It' thread. Rants accepted.
« Reply #500 on: June 13, 2018, 11:07:41 AM »
I live on what is considered a scenic road and is a well maintained two lane State road. It is hilly and windy and pretty dangerous. Every single weekend from spring to late fall we have herds of motorcycle riders who swarm this scenic road making it like a race arena. So disturbingly noisy and it goes on all day long up and down the hills. Why do people come from out of town to have fun disturbing the people who live there? I wouldn't care if they had normal sounding vehicles but they are beyond obnoxious and noisy.

HBFIRE

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #501 on: June 13, 2018, 11:11:51 AM »
I have a deep-seated primal fear of loud noises. Apparently this goes back to in utero according to my mother. I Can’t Stand loud motorcycles (in looking at you, dumb-ass Harleys). Sure, they are obnoxious and anti-social and juvenile and dumb, but they also scare me like crazy. My oldest seems to also hate loud noises. She once threw a massive fit and refused to go into a public toilet with me because of the unpredictable and loud flushes and hand dryers. I get it. Whenever possible I try to find a family restroom so at least there is only one toilet and I can, hopefully, control when it flushes. This gives us time to cover our ears. The water-saving toilets rely on a massive sucking action to be effective and that is REALLY loud.

Are you an introvert by any chance?  This is common among introverts.  Extreme sensitivity to stimuli.   I too hate loud noises.  Particularly poor music, which is in abundance.  Along these lines, I never understood concerts or music gatherings where the music is too loud to enjoy. 
« Last Edit: June 13, 2018, 11:14:15 AM by dustinst22 »

ysette9

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #502 on: June 13, 2018, 11:15:31 AM »
Yup, an introvert. I get overwhelmed by noise after a period of time. I find modern life to be stressfully noisy. Music in restaurants is loud enough that it is hard to hear someone talking at the other end of the table. Coffee shop music is now front and center instead of being background. Movies require earplugs to avoid hearing loss. No one seems to think quiet is acceptable.

Wow. I sound like I am 40 years older than I am. Now get off of my lawn! (But walk quietly please)

HBFIRE

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #503 on: June 13, 2018, 11:17:52 AM »
Yup, an introvert. I get overwhelmed by noise after a period of time. I find modern life to be stressfully noisy. Music in restaurants is loud enough that it is hard to hear someone talking at the other end of the table. Coffee shop music is now front and center instead of being background. Movies require earplugs to avoid hearing loss. No one seems to think quiet is acceptable.

Wow. I sound like I am 40 years older than I am. Now get off of my lawn! (But walk quietly please)

Agreed!  Nothing worse than a restaurant where it's too loud to have a decent conversation.  And people seem to enjoy it, I find it very perplexing.

Roadrunner53

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #504 on: June 13, 2018, 11:30:43 AM »
Okay, here is another thing that pisses me off. I know younger people don't agree. It used to be you would buy a ticket to a concert and be assigned a seat. Now people stand during the whole concert even though they have a seat to sit in. So, even if you want to sit and enjoy the music you can't because the people in front of you are standing and you can't see anything. The last concert I went to we had really good seats close to the stage. Didn't matter, we had to stand during the whole thing. I told the Hub that I never want to go to a concert again. What is the point of paying for seats you can't sit in? Seems very rude to me. What about the older people or handicapped people or short people?
« Last Edit: June 15, 2018, 09:05:07 AM by Roadrunner53 »

ysette9

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #505 on: June 13, 2018, 11:34:33 AM »
As a short person I agree with you. However I don’t go to concerts much as they are too loud. ;-) Maybe you need to cultivate an appreciation for the symphony or jazz something where it is standard for people to remain seated?

PoutineLover

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #506 on: June 13, 2018, 11:38:50 AM »
Okay, here is another thing that pisses me off. I know younger people don't agree. It used to be you would buy a ticket to a concert and be assigned a seat. Now people stand during the whole concert even though they have a seat to sit in. So, even if you want to sit and enjoy the music you can't because the people in front of you are standing and you can see anything. The last concert I went to we had really good seats close to the stage. Didn't matter, we had to stand during the whole thing. I told the Hub that I never want to go to a concert again. What is the point of paying for seats you can't sit in? Seems very rude to me. What about the older people or handicapped people or short people?
I like being able to dance at concerts, so if possible standing room tickets are perfect. But it may be a case of everyone having to do it even though they don't want to, because it's the only way to see once the front row stands up. Or for better selfie angles :P
That's kinda like what happens on planes sometimes. I don't like to recline because it takes away someone else's space, and I don't like it when people recline on me, but if I lose my space, I pretty much need to recline too. I've always wished reclining made your own seat go forward at the same time, so if you do it you lose your own legroom, instead of taking away someone else's. Then it's a purely personal trade off instead of pushing the annoyance further down the line.

RWD

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #507 on: June 13, 2018, 11:41:22 AM »

Agreed!  Nothing worse than a restaurant where it's too loud to have a decent conversation.  And people seem to enjoy it, I find it very perplexing.

I was at a restaurant seated outdoors with my wife and in-laws and there was live music playing way too loud. My wife and I asked to be re-seated indoors and when the manager (or whoever) came to reseat us they thought it was my in-laws that were bothered by the noise!

Roadrunner53

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #508 on: June 13, 2018, 11:43:07 AM »
No, not interested in jazz or symphony. Somewhere down the line things changed. We used to go to Oakdale Theater in Wallingford CT and everyone used to sit down. Then we went to other venues where people stand up the whole time. Years ago we went to Myrtle beach and went to those theaters and everyone sat. No more concerts for me! NOPE!

Dollar Slice

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #509 on: June 13, 2018, 11:52:53 AM »
Okay, here is another thing that pisses me off. I know younger people don't agree. It used to be you would buy a ticket to a concert and be assigned a seat. Now people stand during the whole concert even though they have a seat to sit in. So, even if you want to sit and enjoy the music you can't because the people in front of you are standing and you can see anything.

This annoys the hell out of me, as I am a huge live music fan and have a medical issue that makes it painful to stand for long periods. And the kind of show where this happens? Almost always very expensive tickets at big fancy venues. If I go to a show where this happens, that artist is immediately on my list of artists I'll never see again. If your fans want to dance, play a venue where that's possible, and the can't-dance contingent can go do something else that we'll enjoy. 

One time I was with a friend who has a more serious disability at a standing-up rock club, and he'd arranged in advance for us to sit in a special section for handicapped people. They sat us (and a bunch of fans in wheelchairs, etc.) BEHIND the people who were standing. So we were just staring at people's asses the whole time. $90 tickets.

zolotiyeruki

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #510 on: June 13, 2018, 11:59:13 AM »

Oh my goodness, this has been a pet peeve of mine for years.  Seriously, if I have to nearly shout in order for DW to hear me across the table, the music is too loud.  And this isn't like a bar or nightclub.  This is in a casual dining restaurant.  It seems to bother me a lot more than it bothers DW.  I also have a harder time distinguishing conversation from all the background noise than DW does, even though my hearing tests better than hers.

I have a deep-seated primal fear of loud noises. Apparently this goes back to in utero according to my mother. I Can’t Stand loud motorcycles (in looking at you, dumb-ass Harleys). Sure, they are obnoxious and anti-social and juvenile and dumb, but they also scare me like crazy. My oldest seems to also hate loud noises. She once threw a massive fit and refused to go into a public toilet with me because of the unpredictable and loud flushes and hand dryers. I get it. Whenever possible I try to find a family restroom so at least there is only one toilet and I can, hopefully, control when it flushes. This gives us time to cover our ears. The water-saving toilets rely on a massive sucking action to be effective and that is REALLY loud.
That's really interesting--my oldest son used to have the same reaction when he was younger.  We always chalked it up to overstimulus, tied to his Autism.

To contribute my own thing I don't get:  Large cell phones.  And by "large" I mean anything over 130mm in height.  The big screens are hard to reach across, hard to fit in your pocket, more expensive, more battery hungry, and more CPU/RAM hungry.  They're a bit easier to read stuff on, but not *that* much better.  I loved my Galaxy Light, with its small footprint and large-radius curves (super comfy to hold).

Now I'll rant a bit more:  There is exactly one company that makes small phones with decent internals (at least 2GB RAM) for the US market:  Sony.  And they have only one model in that size.  Or at least, they used to.  The latest iteration, the Xperia XZ2 Compact ballooned up to 135mm tall, only 3mm less than an iPhone.  You'd think that budget phones, like the Moto G6, would have a smaller screen, but no, all the phone manufacturers are caught up in the screen size arms race.  Samsung had a Mini version of their flagships up through the Galaxy S4 mini, but cancelled the Galaxy S5 mini and haven't looked back.

Call me picky, but my ideal phone simply doesn't exist.  All I want is a phone that works in the US with 2GB+ RAM, a good CPU, a body no larger than 130mm, a headphone jack, a user-replaceable battery, an SD card slot, and an unlocked bootloader (with good ROM support).  Such a device apparently doesn't exist.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2018, 12:26:02 PM by zolotiyeruki »

Roadrunner53

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #511 on: June 13, 2018, 12:05:19 PM »
Dollar Slice, know where you are coming from and it is even worse for those with disabilities. I think these bands encourage people to stand up and dance. The last time we went to a concert to see Shania Twain and had excellent seats. We paid a LOT for the tickets because we were close to the stage. Didn't matter, the rows in front of us stood the whole time. If we didn't stand, all we would have seen is asses.

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #512 on: June 13, 2018, 12:18:31 PM »
Okay, here is another thing that pisses me off. I know younger people don't agree. It used to be you would buy a ticket to a concert and be assigned a seat. Now people stand during the whole concert even though they have a seat to sit in. So, even if you want to sit and enjoy the music you can't because the people in front of you are standing and you can see anything.

This annoys the hell out of me, as I am a huge live music fan and have a medical issue that makes it painful to stand for long periods. And the kind of show where this happens? Almost always very expensive tickets at big fancy venues. If I go to a show where this happens, that artist is immediately on my list of artists I'll never see again. If your fans want to dance, play a venue where that's possible, and the can't-dance contingent can go do something else that we'll enjoy. 

One time I was with a friend who has a more serious disability at a standing-up rock club, and he'd arranged in advance for us to sit in a special section for handicapped people. They sat us (and a bunch of fans in wheelchairs, etc.) BEHIND the people who were standing. So we were just staring at people's asses the whole time. $90 tickets.

The last concert that I went to this happened.  It kinda drove me nuts.  I wanted to sit and listen to the music . . . but literally everyone in the venue decided to stand up three songs in, and remain standing for the next two hours.  WTF.

Roadrunner53

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #513 on: June 13, 2018, 12:29:27 PM »
Just say NO to live concerts!

FIRE@50

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #514 on: June 13, 2018, 12:32:41 PM »
Okay, here is another thing that pisses me off. I know younger people don't agree. It used to be you would buy a ticket to a concert and be assigned a seat. Now people stand during the whole concert even though they have a seat to sit in. So, even if you want to sit and enjoy the music you can't because the people in front of you are standing and you can see anything. The last concert I went to we had really good seats close to the stage. Didn't matter, we had to stand during the whole thing. I told the Hub that I never want to go to a concert again. What is the point of paying for seats you can't sit in? Seems very rude to me. What about the older people or handicapped people or short people?
I like being able to dance at concerts, so if possible standing room tickets are perfect. But it may be a case of everyone having to do it even though they don't want to, because it's the only way to see once the front row stands up. Or for better selfie angles :P
That's kinda like what happens on planes sometimes. I don't like to recline because it takes away someone else's space, and I don't like it when people recline on me, but if I lose my space, I pretty much need to recline too. I've always wished reclining made your own seat go forward at the same time, so if you do it you lose your own legroom, instead of taking away someone else's. Then it's a purely personal trade off instead of pushing the annoyance further down the line.

This is brilliant!

Dollar Slice

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #515 on: June 13, 2018, 12:38:37 PM »
Just say NO to live concerts!

Ack, don't say that! :-)

Live concerts aren't the problem. This probably happens at 1% of the shows I go to. It's just a certain kind of fan/artist/venue where this happens. It is pretty dire if you are mainly a fan of that kind of music, of course...

HBFIRE

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #516 on: June 13, 2018, 12:49:32 PM »
Here's an "I don't get it".

FB algorithm feed results.  Since when is Facebook better at deciding what I want to view?

How about you just give me what my friends are posting in the order it's posted, much like a forum?

Or at least offer that as a setting to the user, so they can decide what they want to view.

HBFIRE

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #517 on: June 13, 2018, 01:00:23 PM »

Call me picky, but my ideal phone simply doesn't exist.  All I want is a phone that works in the US with 2GB+ RAM, a good CPU, a body no larger than 130mm, a headphone jack, a user-replaceable battery, an SD card slot, and an unlocked bootloader (with good ROM support).  Such a device apparently doesn't exist.

No SD Slot (hard to find that these days), but the Iphone SE is a good phone with small dimensions.

zolotiyeruki

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #518 on: June 13, 2018, 01:06:12 PM »

No SD Slot (hard to find that these days), but the Iphone SE is a good phone with small dimensions.
Yes, it meets those two criteria.  But it doesn't have an SD card slot, doesn't have an unlocked bootloader, and only sorta has a user-replaceable battery.

markbike528CBX

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #519 on: June 13, 2018, 01:37:04 PM »

the older people or handicapped people or short people?   
Sit in upper deck, balcony?
the only time this applied to me  is when I blew out a knee, on crutches, snuck into the VIP section (only a few reserved tables).  If that had not been an option, a spot off the mosh pit would have been acceptable.  Sonics/Mudhoney

As a shorter, near sighted person, I usually get as close as I can get, either just back of the mosh pit or squashed against the stage.

What I don't get is people who want the mosh/dancing crowd to sit down at a Bo Diddly show (free,outside). Really?  If I can't move to A Bo Diddly beat, then there is a good chance I might be dead.

mak1277

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #520 on: June 13, 2018, 02:21:07 PM »

I'm 40+, so definitely not "younger"...I don't recall ever going to a concert and sitting down.  You're talking about rock concerts I assume, and not something like the symphony right?  I wouldn't even consider sitting down as an option at a rock concert.

Dollar Slice

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #521 on: June 13, 2018, 02:52:36 PM »
I'm 40+, so definitely not "younger"...I don't recall ever going to a concert and sitting down.  You're talking about rock concerts I assume, and not something like the symphony right?  I wouldn't even consider sitting down as an option at a rock concert.

I think the problem comes when different people have different ideas and expectations about the same music. It's not nearly as simple as rock=yes/no? For example, I consider Jason Isbell a singer-songwriter, and would not ever think to dance to his music, but apparently 99% of his fans think his music is stand-up-and-fist-pump rock-and-roll-or-maybe-country. This was disappointing when I had an expensive 2nd row seat to see him at a fancy seated venue and everyone in front of me stood up and rhythmically pointed at him all night. (Another thing I don't get: why do people, almost always men, do that thing where they point at bands?)  OTOH, if you take me to see the Cubanos Postizos, I will happily take painkillers and dance as hard as I am able. To me, that's high-energy dance music. But when I went to see them in a seated theater, no one stood up. It's hard to predict, and people can be disappointed when they guessed wrong.

Roadrunner53

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #522 on: June 13, 2018, 03:07:06 PM »

Not exactly talking rock concerts, more like country music. Did you ever wonder why there are seats there? Did you ever think some older people can't stand the entire concert or someone short can't see over you? If you need to dance go to a club. This discussion is like what came first, the chicken or the egg. No one has the answer. I say if you buy a ticket and there are seats, people should sit. If there are no seats then stand.

HBFIRE

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #523 on: June 13, 2018, 03:15:57 PM »
I say if you buy a ticket and there are seats, people should sit. If there are no seats then stand.

Amen.  Roadrunner for president.

Mezzie

• Pencil Stache
    • Mezzie Learns
« Reply #524 on: June 13, 2018, 06:42:47 PM »

The last concert that I went to this happened.  It kinda drove me nuts.  I wanted to sit and listen to the music . . . but literally everyone in the venue decided to stand up three songs in, and remain standing for the next two hours.  WTF.

One of my favorite bands (and most if its fans) has grown older with me. At their last concert, people started standing up during the first song. The audience as a whole was NOT having it and yelled at the people standing to sit down. My kind of crowd. :)

Miss Piggy

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #525 on: June 13, 2018, 07:20:05 PM »
This stand up/sit down debate is interesting to me. I firmly believe the artists WANT people to stand and dance and show they are having a good time. So it seems...I don't know...disrespectful or something to just sit the whole time.

one piece at a time

• Stubble
« Reply #526 on: June 13, 2018, 07:30:33 PM »
Motorcycles that are ridiculously loud. Really, what is the point? Just noise pollution and stupid.
DH pointed out that they do that so car drivers will be alerted to their presence. Huh. I say they make a choice when they hop on a bike (obv. the wrong kind) and breaking the law to protect their decision is ridiculous. Everyone KNOWS that cars don't see motorcycles. If you're scared of that fact, don't fucking ride one. And if you choose to anyway, for Pete's sake, wear a certified helmet and stop bitching about those, too./end of rant

Two points;
1) The certification process increases prices and reduces options available. Safety is compromised as fewer fit options get created, as each fit option would have to be certified separately.
2) drivers choose not to comprehend the image that they see (which includes a motorcyclist) because they are in a crazy clown car and don't register the rider as a threat. Loud pipes are there to inform the driver that the rider is in fact the sort of person who will follow you home and give you a good kicking if you cut him off.

Dollar Slice

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #527 on: June 13, 2018, 07:32:43 PM »
This stand up/sit down debate is interesting to me. I firmly believe the artists WANT people to stand and dance and show they are having a good time. So it seems...I don't know...disrespectful or something to just sit the whole time.

Why play at a seated venue if you want people to stand and dance? There are lots of venues with open dance floors... they should play there. It's kind of a bait and switch to sell a ticket for an assigned seat, and when you show up "oh, but we didn't mean for you to USE that seat, ha!" I need to be clear before I buy the ticket on whether or not I can sit during the show. For medical reasons. I don't think that's a lot to ask.

EricL

« Reply #528 on: June 13, 2018, 07:42:49 PM »
Man buns, top knots, whatever they’re called.  I want to shoot guys who wear them. Instead I take solace guys who wear them have photos of themselves and their god awful choice immortalized on the internet for their ex-wives and children to mock forever. Much like my father’s polyester shirts and bell bottom trousers.

[MOD NOTE:  I get how this thread is a little ranty, but let's keep things a little bit civil, here.]
« Last Edit: June 14, 2018, 07:36:13 AM by FrugalToque »

MandalayVA

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #529 on: June 13, 2018, 07:46:29 PM »

The only time I remember sitting down at a rock concert for the whole show was when I saw Jethro Tull in the late eighties.  Nobody even stood during "Aqualung."  It wasn't a fun crowd.  I don't even remember why I went since I've never particularly liked Jethro Tull.  Oh, well.

If a venue offers seating, I generally sit for the slower songs or the ones I don't like.  What drives me insane at concerts is not sitting vs. standing, but people holding up their phones filming the show.  I didn't pay fifty bucks to watch your iPhone screen.

Miss Piggy

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #530 on: June 13, 2018, 07:55:37 PM »

Why play at a seated venue if you want people to stand and dance? There are lots of venues with open dance floors... they should play there.

I get what you're saying, but I can't think of any large (that's the key, especially for major musicians) concert venue in my area that only has a dance floor and doesn't have seats. Maybe that's not what you're suggesting.

Honestly, I think everyone should be accommodated. Make half the venue a sit-down area and the other half a stand up/dance area. Offer tickets accordingly. Or the lower level is sit, the higher levels are stand (or vice-versa).

Dollar Slice

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #531 on: June 13, 2018, 08:05:44 PM »

Why play at a seated venue if you want people to stand and dance? There are lots of venues with open dance floors... they should play there.

I get what you're saying, but I can't think of any large (that's the key, especially for major musicians) concert venue in my area that only has a dance floor and doesn't have seats. Maybe that's not what you're suggesting.

Right, those venues are ideal. What the rest of us are complaining about is being at a 100% seated theater where you are assigned a seat, and then folks stand the whole time so you can't see. You're fooled into thinking it's a seated event, but then everyone stands anyway.

I've been to over a thousand concerts and there are really not a lot of situations where this happens. But when it does, it's very annoying...

Travis

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #532 on: June 13, 2018, 08:31:02 PM »

Yes, it meets those two criteria.  But it doesn't have an SD card slot, doesn't have an unlocked bootloader, and only sorta has a user-replaceable battery.

I need a new phone. I'm just as frustrated for similar reasons.

zolotiyeruki

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #533 on: June 13, 2018, 10:16:23 PM »

I need a new phone. I'm just as frustrated for similar reasons.
The best I've found is the earlier versions of Sony's Xperia Lineup. I settled on a used Z3 compact, which has everything except the replaceable battery, and even that can be done with a bit of work. And it was relatively cheap, since it came out in 2014 and I bought it a month ago. The Z5 compact is almost exactly the same phone, just with a faster CPU.

While we are on the subject of phone annoyances, I'll add "glass back" to the list. Look, manufacturers, I get that you don't want metal, since you want NFC. But there's this other material you can use which, although not as "premium" or scratch -resistant as glass, is more durable, cheaper, and easier to form. It's called "plastic," and it's a perfectly acceptable material.

Nicholas Carter

• Stubble
« Reply #534 on: June 14, 2018, 07:16:54 AM »

If motorcyclists made their bikes loud so that cars would be alerted to their presence, the pipes would all point forwards.  The vehicles behind you can see you and know where you are.  It's the ones in front of you that you've got to be concerned about.
I don't think that's true. Because the cyclist knows where the cars in front of them are and can avoid driving into the back of them. 2/3 of all cycle involved accidents are caused by the car/truck operator behind or beside the motorcycle failing to look where the fuck they are going, and either merging into the side of a bike or running over a bike in front of them.

Nicholas Carter

• Stubble
« Reply #535 on: June 14, 2018, 07:27:38 AM »
Man buns, top knots, whatever they’re called.  I want to shoot guys who wear them. 
Any day of the week fuck face. I'll buy your plane ticket.

[MOD NOTE:  Yes, he was out of line, but let's go back to being civil now.]
« Last Edit: June 14, 2018, 07:36:54 AM by FrugalToque »

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #536 on: June 14, 2018, 07:34:59 AM »
Motorcycles that are ridiculously loud. Really, what is the point? Just noise pollution and stupid.
DH pointed out that they do that so car drivers will be alerted to their presence. Huh. I say they make a choice when they hop on a bike (obv. the wrong kind) and breaking the law to protect their decision is ridiculous. Everyone KNOWS that cars don't see motorcycles. If you're scared of that fact, don't fucking ride one. And if you choose to anyway, for Pete's sake, wear a certified helmet and stop bitching about those, too./end of rant

If motorcyclists made their bikes loud so that cars would be alerted to their presence, the pipes would all point forwards.  The vehicles behind you can see you and know where you are.  It's the ones in front of you that you've got to be concerned about.
You know that and I know that, but they figure the louder the overall noise, the better their chances are. I guess pissing people off is one way of alerting them to your, uh, presence.

Roadrunner53

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #537 on: June 14, 2018, 07:58:20 AM »
Motorcycle owners jack up the noise on their machines to be 'cool' be 'noticed'. First of all it is not cool and no one cares! Why not dial back the noise. We have enough pollution and more noise is not desirable. I would be more impressed with a sleek machine that purred like a kitten.

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #538 on: June 14, 2018, 08:03:53 AM »

You know that and I know that, but they figure the louder the overall noise, the better their chances are. I guess pissing people off is one way of alerting them to your, uh, presence.

I always figured that they just liked the VROOOM VROOM sounds.

wenchsenior

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #539 on: June 14, 2018, 08:25:41 AM »

I always figured that they just liked the VROOOM VROOM sounds.

I have always figured they are getting a sexual thrill from the prostate stimulation.

I despise loud vehicles. Jet skis are the worst, but they all suck.  My instantaneous thought when I hear a loud vehicle is "douchebag."

ysette9

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #540 on: June 14, 2018, 08:38:20 AM »
Man buns, top knots, whatever they’re called.  I want to shoot guys who wear them. 
Any day of the week fuck face. I'll buy your plane ticket.

[MOD NOTE:  Yes, he was out of line, but let's go back to being civil now.]

I actually kind of like man buns, and I normally find long hair on men to be very unattractive. The stereotypical long-haired man on the front of a romance novel is gag-inducing to me.

Roadrunner53

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #541 on: June 14, 2018, 08:46:08 AM »
Some states have maximum decibel limits, some have no rules at all. How would a cop stop a motorcycle and test for decibels anyway?

http://drivinglaws.aaa.com/tag/motorcycle-noise-limits/

I wish they would have a decibel station around where I live and make them all pull over for testing.

But it doesn't look like cops do much decibel testing...

https://patch.com/california/berkeley/ask-a-cop-why-deafeningly-loud-motorcycles-not-cited

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #542 on: June 14, 2018, 08:47:50 AM »
I don't get why shaving legs isn't a socially acceptable thing for men, but shaving your face is.

Roadrunner53

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #543 on: June 14, 2018, 08:55:45 AM »
Go ahead and shave your legs if you want to! However, men are lucky that they don't have to shave their legs! YUK! You shave your legs today and tomorrow there is stubble. Then your legs get dry big time in the winter months when the humidity is low. I tried wax one time and it was hell on earth! I have tried the cream hair removal and it is inefficient and burns a bit and smells terrible.

Sojourner

• Stubble
« Reply #544 on: June 14, 2018, 08:57:28 AM »
This talk of loud motorcycles reminds me of an unannouced visit from my BIL, who never visits, lives about 5 miles away.

His dad had passed away and left inheritance in the $100k - $200K range, not sure.  Not long after the toys started showing up, including BMW and a new Harley.  He showed up at my door one day saying he was in the neighborhood riding his new bike around.  So, of course I felt obligated to ooh and ahh the thing, gold metallic flake paint, flashy (gaudy IMO).

Said he was scheduled to get some dealer accessories.  Was showing me with hand gestures the new add-ons so I could imagine them since they hadn't been installed yet.  It was also to be fitted with louder exhaust.  I asked why.  He said, for example, like recently when he pulled up to a traffic light and a guy on another Harley looked over, without the louder exhaust he was embarrassed his bike wasn't loud enough.  Didn't mention anything about safety.  Now that his bike is louder, his manhood is more intact I guess.

Davnasty

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #545 on: June 14, 2018, 08:59:29 AM »
I don't get why shaving legs isn't a socially acceptable thing for men, but shaving your face is.

Because men like to make fun of each other for anything that seems remotely feminine. I don't think I would notice if a man shaved his legs.

And what's wrong with men wearing makeup. I mean don't get me wrong, I'm 100% against it and I'll make fun of my friends if they do, but why :?

Davnasty

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #546 on: June 14, 2018, 09:02:42 AM »
This talk of loud motorcycles reminds me of an unannouced visit from my BIL, who never visits, lives about 5 miles away.

His dad had passed away and left inheritance in the $100k - $200K range, not sure.  Not long after the toys started showing up, including BMW and a new Harley.  He showed up at my door one day saying he was in the neighborhood riding his new bike around.  So, of course I felt obligated to ooh and ahh the thing, gold metallic flake paint, flashy (gaudy IMO).

Said he was scheduled to get some dealer accessories.  Was showing me with hand gestures the new add-ons so I could imagine them since they hadn't been installed yet.  It was also to be fitted with louder exhaust.  I asked why.  He said, for example, like recently when he pulled up to a traffic light and a guy on another Harley looked over, without the louder exhaust he was embarrassed his bike wasn't loud enough.  Didn't mention anything about safety.  Now that his bike is louder, his manhood is more intact I guess.

Did he at least chuckle when he said this, or was it straight faced serious?

Dave1442397

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #547 on: June 14, 2018, 09:05:25 AM »
Here's an "I don't get it".

FB algorithm feed results.  Since when is Facebook better at deciding what I want to view?

How about you just give me what my friends are posting in the order it's posted, much like a forum?

Or at least offer that as a setting to the user, so they can decide what they want to view.

That drove me nuts too. I added Social Fixer to my Chrome browser, and set my FB feed to display posts in descending order by time posted. I also filter out 'suggested' posts, political posts, and other crap that I don't want to see. Here's a link to the software on CNET, but if you use the Chrome browser it's just an add-on.

https://download.cnet.com/Social-Fixer/3000-33362_4-75180680.html

HBFIRE

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #548 on: June 14, 2018, 09:55:22 AM »

That drove me nuts too. I added Social Fixer to my Chrome browser, and set my FB feed to display posts in descending order by time posted. I also filter out 'suggested' posts, political posts, and other crap that I don't want to see. Here's a link to the software on CNET, but if you use the Chrome browser it's just an add-on.

https://download.cnet.com/Social-Fixer/3000-33362_4-75180680.html

Awesome, didn't know this existed -- thanks!
« Last Edit: June 14, 2018, 10:02:35 AM by dustinst22 »

zolotiyeruki

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #549 on: June 14, 2018, 10:12:20 AM »
F.B. Purity is another extension that's worth trying out.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!