Author Topic: The 'I Don't Get It' thread. Rants accepted.  (Read 204945 times)

SunshineAZ

• Stubble
Re: The 'I Don't Get It' thread. Rants accepted.
« Reply #450 on: June 05, 2018, 02:12:01 PM »
I understand people who take oppression seriously because they can't get promoted because of their gender, or get sexually harassed because, as Trump Jr put it so very clearly, if you can't stand being sexually harassed in the workplace, you should stay at home.  Or they have to learn at age 10 to go to the bathroom in groups so they won't get groped by some guy while they are away from their friends.  (You did know that's why girls do that?)   As one coworker put it, again so very clearly, when I brought up Trump's video self-confession to being a serial sexual assaulter, "Why should I care?  It's not like it's bad for the economy!"

I don't know where you got the impression that women go to the bathroom in groups because they are afraid of being groped while alone, but, as a female, I can tell you that is complete BS.  (And I find it offensive that you think we are all such cowards.)  I have asked 3 other women here at work if they are afraid of being groped just walking to a bathroom, and all of them said no.  And no woman has ever mentioned having that fear to me.  I cannot say that I have not been groped or harassed, but certainly not so much that I am afraid to walk alone to a public bathroom.  What country are you in?  I grew up in So Cal and went to a lot of clubs and parties in my younger days and this is just not a huge issue.  And I was fairly attractive and did get male attention, but I don't consider men hitting on me as being groped or harassed. 

I guess my rant is I don't get people who assume women are delicate little flowers who can't walk to the bathroom without backup.   

PoutineLover

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #451 on: June 05, 2018, 02:19:16 PM »
I understand people who take oppression seriously because they can't get promoted because of their gender, or get sexually harassed because, as Trump Jr put it so very clearly, if you can't stand being sexually harassed in the workplace, you should stay at home.  Or they have to learn at age 10 to go to the bathroom in groups so they won't get groped by some guy while they are away from their friends.  (You did know that's why girls do that?)   As one coworker put it, again so very clearly, when I brought up Trump's video self-confession to being a serial sexual assaulter, "Why should I care?  It's not like it's bad for the economy!"

I don't know where you got the impression that women go to the bathroom in groups because they are afraid of being groped while alone, but, as a female, I can tell you that is complete BS.  (And I find it offensive that you think we are all such cowards.)  I have asked 3 other women here at work if they are afraid of being groped just walking to a bathroom, and all of them said no.  And no woman has ever mentioned having that fear to me.  I cannot say that I have not been groped or harassed, but certainly not so much that I am afraid to walk alone to a public bathroom.  What country are you in?  I grew up in So Cal and went to a lot of clubs and parties in my younger days and this is just not a huge issue.  And I was fairly attractive and did get male attention, but I don't consider men hitting on me as being groped or harassed. 

I guess my rant is I don't get people who assume women are delicate little flowers who can't walk to the bathroom without backup.   
Just because it hasn't happened to you or three random women doesn't mean it doesn't happen to anyone. Some frat guy kissed me without my consent in a bathroom once while his friends held the door closed. And I have friend who was raped in a bathroom. I still go to the bathroom alone, but I can see why some women might not feel comfortable doing so.
I've also been groped and harrassed in clubs many times, and that's one reason why I don't go anymore. Shitty music, overpriced drinks and cover charges being the other main reasons.

Davnasty

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #452 on: June 05, 2018, 02:23:46 PM »

Thanks for elaborating on this. It sounded plausible but I was surprised that I had never heard anyone give that reason for women going together. I would imagine that at least in some cases safety does have something to do with it but it's always seemed like a primarily social thing to me.

SimpleCycle

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #453 on: June 05, 2018, 03:41:27 PM »
Just remember when you are talking about "constitutional rights" and asserting the Supreme Court said things about gay rights they didn't actually say, you are talking about something that some of us actually live day to day.  It's not always just a thought experiment.

I actually think the SCOTUS ruling was right, but if you read Kennedy's majority opinion, he's pretty clear that if they'd been ruling on whether the baker needed to bake the cake, SCOTUS would have applied public accommodation laws to wedding cakes.  Instead, they were ruling on whether the baker had gotten a fair hearing from the Civil Rights Commission, and a fair ruling from the lower court.  They clearly left the door open for a different ruling in a case with different specifics.

DreamFIRE

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #454 on: June 05, 2018, 03:52:25 PM »

So, if you can refuse to serve gay customers, can you also put up a sign saying 'whites only' or 'no irish need apply?'. If the baker had been a white supremacist, should they be allowed to refuse black customers? If the baker was a Protestant, should they be allowed to refuse a First Communion cake? After all, bakers have rights, too. ( full disclosure: I have a degree in law and constitutional law was always my favourite subject, but I know very little about the US Constitution. In my country horizontal effects of fundamental rights is not a topic that has been explored much, but I think it's very interesting).

The bolded is not what happened.  He did not refuse to serve gay customers, he said he'd happily make them a birthday cake, but he didn't want to make them a wedding cake because he didn't believe in gay marriage.  It's like, I dunno, demanding that your local Jewish deli make you a Christmas something or other.

No, your example is poor.  It's not like asking a Jewish deli to make something that they don't already make.  If the Jewish deli made pastrami sandwiches and pickles, and refused to serve pastrami to anyone who wasn't Jewish (but will serve the goy's pickles) . . . that would be a closer example.

The baker makes wedding cakes, he just refuses to make wedding cakes for a class of people he is prejudiced against.

It depends on whether or not you believe there is a difference between "wedding cakes" and "gay wedding cakes".  I don't know the answer to that.  But the baker doesn't make "gay wedding cakes" for anyone, whether they are gay or straight.

Under true equal rights, a wedding cake is a wedding cake. If we (well, you) are still seeing straight wedding cakes and gay wedding cakes, there is not true equal rights.

And don't give me any constitution bullshit talk here. I'm going beyond the bare minimum and talking about people stopping being assholes to other demographics because they do not "like their kind".

And yes there is a difference between doing this to a gay person and a white supremist. The white supremist wants to keep another group down while the gay person just wants to get a fucking cake to celebrate the love between themselves and a another human being.

So where do you draw the line at allowing free expression of religious beliefs?  Can a fundamental Christian pastor refuse to marry a gay couple?

Not an equivalent comparison (see Sherr’s response). Rather, can an Evangelical Christian physician refuse to treat a Catholic or Muslim patient?

Actually, that's no where near equivalent, either.

NoraLenderbee

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #455 on: June 05, 2018, 04:06:41 PM »
When I'm being tailgated, I tap the brake pedal 3 times. That usually gets the tailgater to back off or change lanes without any horn honking or middle fingers.

I don't get this fixation on going at the highest possible speed--or rather, on the "injustice" of not being able to go as fast as possible in the left lane. There is no God-given right to go as fast as you can. The speed limit is not a minimum speed. 

Changing lanes is statistically more dangerous than speeding. The person driving slowly in the left lane, which forces others to change lanes to pass them, is the one causing the accidents.

Oh, bullshit. The drivers who choose to make an unsafe pass are the ones causing the accident. They are responsible for their behavior, even when they are provoked by some little old lady driving slowly in her Cadillac.

It is okay if you don't see the injustice of people wanting you to get out of the way because you are disrupting the flow of traffic, but in many cases you would be in violation of the law enacted by democratically elected officials.

Inconvenience is not the same as injustice.

Imma

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #456 on: June 05, 2018, 04:10:08 PM »

Thanks for elaborating on this. It sounded plausible but I was surprised that I had never heard anyone give that reason for women going together. I would imagine that at least in some cases safety does have something to do with it but it's always seemed like a primarily social thing to me.

It's both, I guess. I'm not a delicate little flower who can't go anywhere on my own. I have no problems being outside in street on my own at night, I'm never scared when I'm home alone. Still, I went to a festival last weekend with a group of people and when a guy wanders off, you let him walk away and he'll be back in a while. Women go to the bathroom or the bar together or agree to meet in a certain place at a certain time. Women stick together much more than men do and while that's partially just a social custom, I'm sure that behaviour pattern developed because of safety reasons.

markbike528CBX

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #457 on: June 05, 2018, 10:44:53 PM »

It's both, I guess. I'm not a delicate little flower who can't go anywhere on my own. I have no problems being outside in street on my own at night, I'm never scared when I'm home alone. Still, I went to a festival last weekend with a group of people and when a guy wanders off, you let him walk away and he'll be back in a while. Women go to the bathroom or the bar together or agree to meet in a certain place at a certain time. Women stick together much more than men do and while that's partially just a social custom, I'm sure that behaviour pattern developed because of safety reasons.

If hetero-straight men went to to the bathroom together, one might assume it was for protection. The social aspect is not there, especially, as such behavior might be interpreted as feminine ( and thereby sort of gay). 
Hetero-straight men might be projecting their reasoning on the behaviors of others. 

As a hetero-straight man, I've become aware of some of the unwritten rules, like
   never go or be in to the toilet/urinal together with any male conversation partner
   never choose the adjoining toilet/urinal to another man if there is any choice in the matter
     urinal troughs are a particularly difficult situation, like how far away is far enough.

MoseyingAlong

• Bristles
« Reply #458 on: June 05, 2018, 10:55:04 PM »

I thought SwordGuy was talking about why girls, as in young girls, are sent off with a friend by their parents. And that, in my experience, is definitely a safety precaution. 

ixtap

• Magnum Stache
    • Our Sea Story
« Reply #459 on: June 05, 2018, 11:18:00 PM »
It is quite possible that the custom started from a safety perspective, evolving out of the chaperone tradition. And yes, the safety in that case includes being saved from her own desires.

SwordGuy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #460 on: June 06, 2018, 07:57:12 AM »
It is quite possible that the custom started from a safety perspective, evolving out of the chaperone tradition. And yes, the safety in that case includes being saved from her own desires.

That's my belief.   

The world is full of things that were determined or strongly influenced by choices made long ago, choices that have been forgotten.   The "social aspect" of the custom is one thing that has kept it alive long after many people have forgotten the original reasons.  But the custom still serves its purpose.

And for those women who proudly say, "I go by myself," good for you.   You might be aware of something called "survivor bias".   It crops up in a lot of endeavors in life.   The women who got raped by some frat boy or sports team member when they went off alone to the bathroom often don't end up as fiercely independent.  They tend to be more cautious, and for good reason.

It's the same reason why any young woman who has a clue won't leave their drink unattended at a party or club.  They keep it in their hand or under direct observation so some male won't slip something into the drink when they aren't looking.   This has good tips to follow.

https://www.womenshealthmag.com/relationships/a19932071/the-cup-that-detects-roofies/

The fact that a google search shows up gobs of articles on this topic is something that should shame every man and their parents.

And since this is a rant thread...

Our culture condones a lot of sexual assault behavior by males  Just read an article about a situation in a Memphis school.   A boy attempted to raise a girl's skirt to expose her in public.  She grabbed a pair of scissors and stabbed him.

Fox headline was "Teen stabbed with scissors after pulling student's dress up at Memphis school, police say."

One person made this observation:

That's a weird way to say "Sexual assault victim uses self-defense to escape her attacker."'

The article went on to make comments about the fact that the girl made several attempts to stab the boy.   If someone broke into my home at night and I shot them with my pistol, no one would bat an eye if my first 4 shots missed my attacker and the 5th one hit home.  The focus would be on "Homeowner defends family from robber."   

FYI, the girl has been charged.   At least the boy got charged, too.  20-1 he gets a gentle slap on the hand and she gets in more trouble than he does.

If someone stole my car and was being tried for the crime, I would be unlikely to hear a lawyer say, "Well, the car owner had it coming, they shouldn't have painted their car such an attractive color."   I wouldn't be likely to hear a judge say, while sentencing a guilty car thief, "Well, a tough sentence would really be bad for this thief.  Sentence is 6 months in jail, with half that off for good behavior."   That was male rapist Brock Turner's sentence because he's white, his parents are rich, and he's on a sports team.   F that shit.   And Brock's parents comment was that their son shouldn't be punished for life for a few minutes of action.   If justice was served, that parent would be found floating dead in the river with their personal parts shoved in their mouth, as an example for other parents.  "Pour encourager les autres" as the French put it so aptly.   It wouldn't be the law, but it would be justice.

Chris22

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #461 on: June 06, 2018, 08:37:26 AM »
The article went on to make comments about the fact that the girl made several attempts to stab the boy.   If someone broke into my home at night and I shot them with my pistol, no one would bat an eye if my first 4 shots missed my attacker and the 5th one hit home.  The focus would be on "Homeowner defends family from robber."   

It depends.  If you want to use the strict lethal force guidance, if the first stab at the guy caused him to stop assaulting her, the continued stabs were not technically justified.  You are only authorized to use lethal force to stop the threat, once the threat stops you can't keep using lethal force just because.  To use your example, if someone tried to break into your house, and you fired at him and missed, and he ran away, and you continued to fire and hit him in the back and killed him in the middle of your yard running away from your house, absolutely you could be charged with murder.   (Source: hold several weapons permits and used to teach lethal force training in the military)

All that being said, if the girl was my daughter, I'd be reassuring her she did the right thing.  My kid was at her grandparents' (my inlaws) house recently (she's 5) and went to the bathroom.  Her cousin (2 months younger) tried to follow her in, and she slammed the door on him hurting his hand in the process.  Apparently my inlaws gave her a hard time about it, and I told her in front of everyone there that she was just fine and if anyone got her trying to follow her into the bathroom that was their fault, not hers, and next time slam the door harder on him to make sure he remembered.  I got the side eye but no one had the balls to say anything to me. 

BookLoverL

• Bristles
« Reply #462 on: June 06, 2018, 09:44:19 AM »
I don't get litterers.

These days it seems like everywhere you go there is litter. Even on a more rural road like where I live, there's litter. And if you go somewhere more urban, like where my grandma is, there is litter everywhere.

Do the people who drop it have no respect for the planet? For wildlife? Do they have no respect for themselves?

That's the only reason I can possibly think that they might do something which objectively makes things worse for wildlife AND makes the world uglier, while also not actually being that hard to avoid on account of how there are PUBLIC BINS EVERYWHERE (and even if there weren't, it wouldn't be that hard to carry their sweet wrapper or drinks can back to their own bin...)

Roadrunner53

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #463 on: June 06, 2018, 09:53:50 AM »
 One time years ago when I was only about 19 years old this other woman and I went in her car and went for a ride down the road to eat our bagged lunches. It was summer and the car windows were down. On the way back, all of a sudden she threw out her empty lunch bag right in front of my face (passenger side). I was totally shocked and her response was "always throw your trash out on a rich persons lawn; you know it will get picked up".

SwordGuy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #464 on: June 06, 2018, 10:00:12 AM »

It depends.  If you want to use the strict lethal force guidance, if the first stab at the guy caused him to stop assaulting her, the continued stabs were not technically justified.  You are only authorized to use lethal force to stop the threat, once the threat stops you can't keep using lethal force just because.  To use your example, if someone tried to break into your house, and you fired at him and missed, and he ran away, and you continued to fire and hit him in the back and killed him in the middle of your yard running away from your house, absolutely you could be charged with murder.   (Source: hold several weapons permits and used to teach lethal force training in the military)

Fair points.   And "helpful" police might just guide a person into saying exactly the right thing to be left alone by the law.   You know it's happened.  Particularly if the person doing the shooting is white and the person doing the breaking in isn't.

All that being said, if the girl was my daughter, I'd be reassuring her she did the right thing.  My kid was at her grandparents' (my inlaws) house recently (she's 5) and went to the bathroom.  Her cousin (2 months younger) tried to follow her in, and she slammed the door on him hurting his hand in the process.  Apparently my inlaws gave her a hard time about it, and I told her in front of everyone there that she was just fine and if anyone got her trying to follow her into the bathroom that was their fault, not hers, and next time slam the door harder on him to make sure he remembered.  I got the side eye but no one had the balls to say anything to me.

Good for you.     If I were there, I would chime in to support you and her, too.   

goldensam

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #465 on: June 06, 2018, 10:21:18 AM »
I don't get people that take politics super-seriously or choose their friends based on politics.

I understand people who take police brutality seriously because they are far more likely to be shot by police for doing nothing at all.

Maybe your demographic doesn't have that problem.

I understand people who take oppression seriously because they can end up going to jail (or being shot by police) simply for waiting for a friend at a Starbucks, or cooking at the grill in a public park, or doing their job at their place of work, or asking directions from someone, or just opening their front door.

What I can't get is people who have no damn empathy for folks in that situation and can't be bothered to give a damn about the injustice of it.  Because, after all, it's not affecting them, so why should they care?

+1

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #466 on: June 06, 2018, 10:23:34 AM »
I don't get litterers.

These days it seems like everywhere you go there is litter. Even on a more rural road like where I live, there's litter. And if you go somewhere more urban, like where my grandma is, there is litter everywhere.

Do the people who drop it have no respect for the planet? For wildlife? Do they have no respect for themselves?

That's the only reason I can possibly think that they might do something which objectively makes things worse for wildlife AND makes the world uglier, while also not actually being that hard to avoid on account of how there are PUBLIC BINS EVERYWHERE (and even if there weren't, it wouldn't be that hard to carry their sweet wrapper or drinks can back to their own bin...)

Yes.  This really bothers me too.  I walk by a bus stop every day, that is strewn with garbage and cigarette butts.  The thing is . . . there's a fricking garbage can right there!   You almost have to go out of your way not to use the garbage can.  Gaaahh.

Schaefer Light

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #467 on: June 06, 2018, 10:26:33 AM »
To use your example, if someone tried to break into your house, and you fired at him and missed, and he ran away, and you continued to fire and hit him in the back and killed him in the middle of your yard running away from your house, absolutely you could be charged with murder.   (Source: hold several weapons permits and used to teach lethal force training in the military)
My take.  Make sure you hit him with the first shot ;).  Not always easy to do with a pistol in the dark, though.

sui generis

• Magnum Stache
  • she/her
« Reply #468 on: June 06, 2018, 10:44:20 AM »
That was male rapist Brock Turner's sentence because he's white, his parents are rich, and he's on a sports team.   F that shit.   And Brock's parents comment was that their son shouldn't be punished for life for a few minutes of action.   If justice was served, that parent would be found floating dead in the river with their personal parts shoved in their mouth, as an example for other parents.  "Pour encourager les autres" as the French put it so aptly.   It wouldn't be the law, but it would be justice.
A different kind of justice was served last night, as the judge that gave that lenient sentence to Turner was recalled.  The first to be so recalled in CA since 1932.  And it wasn't just vengeance for that one light sentence.  He had a history of bias toward wealthy white men and against female victims in cases of sexual violence.  I'm not generally in favor of recalling (or electing) judges, but this seems to have been well-justified.

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #469 on: June 06, 2018, 12:53:30 PM »
That was male rapist Brock Turner's sentence because he's white, his parents are rich, and he's on a sports team.   F that shit.   And Brock's parents comment was that their son shouldn't be punished for life for a few minutes of action.   If justice was served, that parent would be found floating dead in the river with their personal parts shoved in their mouth, as an example for other parents.  "Pour encourager les autres" as the French put it so aptly.   It wouldn't be the law, but it would be justice.
A different kind of justice was served last night, as the judge that gave that lenient sentence to Turner was recalled.  The first to be so recalled in CA since 1932.  And it wasn't just vengeance for that one light sentence.  He had a history of bias toward wealthy white men and against female victims in cases of sexual violence.  I'm not generally in favor of recalling (or electing) judges, but this seems to have been well-justified.
Amen! I was so happy to read those results today. It's difficult to eject a sitting judge. Yes! [Insert fist pump here.]

Sojourner

• Stubble
« Reply #470 on: June 08, 2018, 10:08:29 AM »
Say a person has achieved and surpassed their FIRE number.  By all measures/simulations they can "retire" (leave corporate/workaday life to pursue whatever).  For example, has beyond 25X expenses stashed, also some soc sec coming up plus perhaps other means to provide further cushion.

At this point, they're aware they have free choice what to do with their time each day.  Yet they still choose to wake up to an early morning alarm, put on clothes they ironed and set out the night before to comply with dress code, drive in rush hour traffic, do tasks all day as assigned and scrutinized by someone else, then return home in same congested traffic just to repeat the cycle next day. (or similar scenario)

I think this is fairly common.  That's something I don't get.

Chris22

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #471 on: June 08, 2018, 10:28:22 AM »
Say a person has achieved and surpassed their FIRE number.  By all measures/simulations they can "retire" (leave corporate/workaday life to pursue whatever).  For example, has beyond 25X expenses stashed, also some soc sec coming up plus perhaps other means to provide further cushion.

At this point, they're aware they have free choice what to do with their time each day.  Yet they still choose to wake up to an early morning alarm, put on clothes they ironed and set out the night before to comply with dress code, drive in rush hour traffic, do tasks all day as assigned and scrutinized by someone else, then return home in same congested traffic just to repeat the cycle next day. (or similar scenario)

1.  Not everyone hates their job.  Some find it interesting and challenging and they like doing it.

2.  Some people want more than to just cover their expenses.  I might be able to sit in my house all day and cover my mortgage and food and other expenses, but it may not leave me enough to do things I want to do, like travel or pay for home renovation projects or work on old cars or whatever else I want to do to fill my time. 

MilesTeg

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #472 on: June 08, 2018, 11:30:28 AM »

Some people enjoy their jobs; count me among them. Some of us worked very hard, as young people, to put themselves in a position where they doing something they both enjoy and can make a good living at and have worked hard enough to not have to deal with annoying things like early mornings, strict dress codes and annoying bosses.

It's sort of like mustacianism applied a different way.

HipGnosis

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #473 on: June 08, 2018, 11:35:30 AM »
Man buns
Or, as I call them; WTF flags

Jouer

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #474 on: June 08, 2018, 12:15:16 PM »
Also, some people like structure. Some even crave it and don't feel themselves without it. (I am not one of those people....but I do know some like it)

Trifle

• Walrus Stache
    • In The Garden
« Reply #475 on: June 08, 2018, 12:55:17 PM »
Man buns

I think man buns are hot.

dividend

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #476 on: June 08, 2018, 12:58:48 PM »
Here's something simple I don't get - cold brew coffee makers.  Why are those a thing people pay money for?  To make cold brew, you let ground coffee and water steep for a long time and then filter it.  I do this all summer long, in my french press that I already have for hot coffee, and even in quart sized mason jars.  So when one of my best friends told me all excitedly that she had bought a cold brew maker, I asked "What does it do?"  She explained, and I said, "I don't understand what it does that you couldn't do with a big mason jar and a strainer?"  No answer except irritation at me. 

Davnasty

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #477 on: June 08, 2018, 01:07:21 PM »
Here's something simple I don't get - cold brew coffee makers.  Why are those a thing people pay money for?  To make cold brew, you let ground coffee and water steep for a long time and then filter it.  I do this all summer long, in my french press that I already have for hot coffee, and even in quart sized mason jars.  So when one of my best friends told me all excitedly that she had bought a cold brew maker, I asked "What does it do?"  She explained, and I said, "I don't understand what it does that you couldn't do with a big mason jar and a strainer?"  No answer except irritation at me.

I had a coworker explain how awesome their new cold brew contraption after I mentioned I liked iced coffee. She went through the whole process and the asked, "and how do you make iced coffee?" I said I put ice... in coffee.

I get that cold brew is different, I make that in mason jars too.

mm1970

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #478 on: June 08, 2018, 01:12:32 PM »
Man buns

I think man buns are hot.
On the right man?  Totally

Imma

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #479 on: June 08, 2018, 03:13:42 PM »
My country has a monarchy. I'm a republican personally and I think our current King lacks the common sense, constitutional awareness and good judgement his mother has.

His wife's sister tragically passed away from suicide this week. Of course the media are very respectful of the King and his family during this difficult time, but irl I have heard so many people say nasty things about her being a little snowflake, a spoilt rich kid, We The People are probably paying for the trip to the Queen's native Argentina to bury her sister, etc etc etc.

I don't get why people would be so extremely insensitive. I don't believe we should have a King at all, but I sincerely feel very sorry for him and his family. I can't imagine their pain, they were known to be close and apparantly she'd struggled for a while. They're human beings with real feelings and personal lives.

I was also extremely annoyed when a few weeks ago some new official portraits of the royal family were published and people were fatshaming the oldest princess all over the internet. The 14 year old Crown Princess is clearly developing from a girl into a woman and she's a little more curvy now then she used to be as a child. Growing up is difficult enough when you're a totally average highschool girl, and this poor girl has been in the spotlight since birth. She will have no freedom of choice in any aspect of her life ever. You're a pretty pathetic person if you're going to call her out on the internet for simply existing as a non-rail thin person.

ChpBstrd

• Walrus Stache
  • Location: A poor and backward Southern state known as minimum wage country
« Reply #480 on: June 08, 2018, 04:05:58 PM »
I'm starting to not get the internet.

This thing that was supposed to instantly bring useful information to our fingertips in an instant is full of propaganda, ads, misinformation, flame wars, and memes.

This thing that was supposed to break dictators' stranglehold on speech and dissent has become a tool of mass manipulation and coincided with the collapse of democracies worldwide.

This thing that was supposed to help us study has instead shortened our attention span, preventing us from even being able to solve problems.

This thing that was supposed to make us money has become another utility bill for most people - oh and using it gets you fired at work.

This thing that was supposed to let regular people debate and dialogue with one another has instead shifted our entire culture toward incivility. We expect trolling behavior from our leaders now.

This thing we worked so hard to make fast wastes so much of our time.

This thing that was supposed to prevent waste burns gigawatts of electricity for the sake of Facebook and the mining of fake cryptocurrencies, and results in piles of highly toxic electronic waste because the equipment only lasts a couple years.

I wonder to what extent it would still be possible to go back, ditch the smartphone and the broadband bill, read physical books, pay bills with checks, exercise focus and attention span, and be mentally present for people instead of staring into an addictive toy that does nothing tangible for me but take our money and make us believe falsehoods? Who ever imagined their idea of a good life to be spent staring into a phone like old people stare at television, making money for tech billionaires.

I wonder if a new lifestyle/group will emerge soon of the "real worlders" who find ways to avoid blowing more and more of their time, mental health, and wealth on the internet. Or maybe we're all too far gone.

Sojourner

• Stubble
« Reply #481 on: June 08, 2018, 06:45:22 PM »

I'm starting to not get the internet.

This thing that was supposed to...

I wonder to what extent it would still be possible to go back, ditch the smartphone and the broadband bill, read physical books, pay bills with checks, exercise focus and attention span, and be mentally present for people instead of staring into an addictive toy that does nothing tangible for me but take our money and make us believe falsehoods? Who ever imagined their idea of a good life to be spent staring into a phone like old people stare at television, making money for tech billionaires.

I wonder if a new lifestyle/group will emerge soon of the "real worlders" who find ways to avoid blowing more and more of their time, mental health, and wealth on the internet. Or maybe we're all too far gone.

Yep.  Past the point of no return.

Great post, BTW.

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #482 on: June 08, 2018, 07:18:02 PM »
In the early days of the internet you were required to prove a baseline level of intelligence before you could connect.  You needed to install a modem, configure it, connect to the internet, debug the inevitable issues, then figure out how to search the random BBS's for whatever you were looking for.  All this without being able to google anything.  Assholes could make it past all that, but the truly stupid didn't.

Today you have the same proportion of assholes, but we've removed the intelligence barrier from accessing to the internet . . . so we're drowning in stupid.

Adam Zapple

• Bristles
« Reply #483 on: June 09, 2018, 06:28:24 AM »
In the early days of the internet you were required to prove a baseline level of intelligence before you could connect.  You needed to install a modem, configure it, connect to the internet, debug the inevitable issues, then figure out how to search the random BBS's for whatever you were looking for.  All this without being able to google anything.  Assholes could make it past all that, but the truly stupid didn't.

Today you have the same proportion of assholes, but we've removed the intelligence barrier from accessing to the internet . . . so we're drowning in stupid.

This is a great point.  There's also virtually no barrier to providing content on the internet.  If you want proof, just read Yahoo! news daily like I do (for some reason.) "Articles" are just twitter re-posts or poorly written with zero journalistic integrity, zero research, zero proofreading etc.

SunshineAZ

• Stubble
« Reply #484 on: June 11, 2018, 09:17:40 AM »

LOL QFT! 

/Now, get off my internet!!  :P

EricL

« Reply #485 on: June 11, 2018, 10:41:18 AM »

That’s OK.  Net Neutrality ends today.  So in the future we’ll only be exposed to the stupid people who happen to be rich. And state supported trolls, of course.

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #486 on: June 11, 2018, 11:30:48 AM »

That’s OK.  Net Neutrality ends today.  So in the future we’ll only be exposed to the stupid people who happen to be rich. And state supported trolls, of course.

Gah.  Was that today?

. . . speaking of things I don't understand . . . how can you possibly make the argument that ending Net Neutrality will be anything but bad for most consumers?

FIRE@50

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #487 on: June 11, 2018, 11:36:11 AM »

Gah.  Was that today?

. . . speaking of things I don't understand . . . how can you possibly make the argument that ending Net Neutrality will be anything but bad for most consumers?

I feel like the internet is already slower today. Is that really possible?

EricL

« Reply #488 on: June 11, 2018, 12:12:23 PM »

Gah.  Was that today?

Your original statement was true but has an elitist air to it.  But, yeah, the end of Net Neutrality is definitely elitist in a different sort of way. And definitely not good for consumers in general. I’d hoped my sarcasm was evident.

Travis

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #489 on: June 12, 2018, 10:13:17 AM »
"Such and Such ruined my childhood!" 

I get it that something you fondly remember has been rebooted and looks terrible by comparison, but that hardly "ruined" the memories of your childhood.  Unless you're really susceptible to marketing and the power of suggestion.  It sucks that our children will form their memories of the subject around this inferior reboot, but if it matters to you that much I'm sure you can figure out a way to show them the original version that is so damn important to you.

Tangentially to this, I've seen a lot of "Netflix sucks now and I'm cancelling my subscription!" comments on my social media feeds as the service comes out with more original programming that these folks apparently don't enjoy.  Do these people realize that Netflix started out as a content library?  I didn't subscribe to Netflix for it's original programming when it came out (they didn't have any yet) and I still don't use it for that purpose.  If I don't want to watch their own programming, I don't have to. They offer plenty of other things to watch.  It's like going to an ice cream shop for it's blue flavor then boycotting it for serving red. It still sells blue, so what's your problem?

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #490 on: June 12, 2018, 10:33:31 AM »
"Such and Such ruined my childhood!" 

I get it that something you fondly remember has been rebooted and looks terrible by comparison, but that hardly "ruined" the memories of your childhood.  Unless you're really susceptible to marketing and the power of suggestion.  It sucks that our children will form their memories of the subject around this inferior reboot, but if it matters to you that much I'm sure you can figure out a way to show them the original version that is so damn important to you.

While he didn't ruin memories of the original, George Lucas has done his damndest to make it difficult to find a copy of the original Star Wars movies.  The one that you probably watched in your childhood, without the ridiculous and nonsensical changes (Han shooting first, the unnecessary added scene with Han talking to Jabba, changing the song in Jabba's place, ruining the climax of return of the Jedi by sticking in a  NOOOOOO by Darth Vader, all the strange changes made at the victory celebration, etc.) by refusing to allow the release of the originals.

George Lucas is a dick for trying his best to ruin the original Star Wars movies.

sui generis

• Magnum Stache
  • she/her
« Reply #491 on: June 12, 2018, 10:41:53 AM »

Tangentially to this, I've seen a lot of "Netflix sucks now and I'm cancelling my subscription!" comments on my social media feeds as the service comes out with more original programming that these folks apparently don't enjoy.  Do these people realize that Netflix started out as a content library?  I didn't subscribe to Netflix for it's original programming when it came out (they didn't have any yet) and I still don't use it for that purpose.  If I don't want to watch their own programming, I don't have to. They offer plenty of other things to watch.  It's like going to an ice cream shop for it's blue flavor then boycotting it for serving red. It still sells blue, so what's your problem?

Mmmm, but it only sells two scoops of blue nowadays and the blue is often gone by the time I arrive.  Whereas they used to have a lot of blue, because they really focused on blue, but now they only care about red and producing gallons and gallons of red! 

Yeah, the analogy is hard to carry through, but the point is, they used to spend time and energy on cultivating their content library but now they don't pursue/renew digital rights, so very few things I am looking for are streaming.  So I quit streaming to go back to DVD only, figuring that I could especially find a lot of older stuff still on DVD...and I couldn't find a lot of things there either (i.e. they aren't replacing broken/unusable DVDs anymore?).  So their focus on original content is really to the detriment of being a content library.  I mean, I haven't complained about it and don't go around telling people how much it sucks or anything.  But it is a very different service than it used to be, so I did cancel my subscription.  I don't have time to get sucked into their original content, no matter how awesome it is, at this particular time, but wish I still had access to all the great content they used to have that were more like one-off movies, miniseries or short TV series that are old and ended.

Nicholas Carter

• Stubble
« Reply #492 on: June 13, 2018, 08:52:50 AM »
Man buns
Long hair is mostly advantageous, but occasionally annoying. So I grow my hair long, then put it up when I'm not using it.

Dancin'Dog

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #493 on: June 13, 2018, 09:09:07 AM »
Gigantic tires on pickup trucks and the bubble tires on small cars that are canted out and scrub the fenders.  And the exhaust pipes on 4 cylinder cars that make them really loud. 

None of the above should even be street legal, and are definitely stupid to do to a vehicle.

Roadrunner53

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #494 on: June 13, 2018, 09:23:39 AM »
Motorcycles that are ridiculously loud. Really, what is the point? Just noise pollution and stupid.

HBFIRE

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #495 on: June 13, 2018, 09:50:55 AM »

Long hair is mostly advantageous

Whats advantageous about it?  Might get some work posing for romance novels?

Roadrunner53

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #496 on: June 13, 2018, 09:56:33 AM »
I used to know a handsome guy that had long hair and he mostly had it pulled back. He was going hiking and decided to cut it off for easier maintenance and it was a major OMG! His hair was super curly and he looked like bozo the clown. Not a good improvement at all! LOL! Keep it long, keep it neat.

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #497 on: June 13, 2018, 09:59:35 AM »
Motorcycles that are ridiculously loud. Really, what is the point? Just noise pollution and stupid.
DH pointed out that they do that so car drivers will be alerted to their presence. Huh. I say they make a choice when they hop on a bike (obv. the wrong kind) and breaking the law to protect their decision is ridiculous. Everyone KNOWS that cars don't see motorcycles. If you're scared of that fact, don't fucking ride one. And if you choose to anyway, for Pete's sake, wear a certified helmet and stop bitching about those, too./end of rant

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #498 on: June 13, 2018, 10:47:51 AM »
DH pointed out that they do that so car drivers will be alerted to their presence. Huh. I say they make a choice when they hop on a bike (obv. the wrong kind) and breaking the law to protect their decision is ridiculous. Everyone KNOWS that cars don't see motorcycles. If you're scared of that fact, don't fucking ride one. And if you choose to anyway, for Pete's sake, wear a certified helmet and stop bitching about those, too./end of rant

If motorcyclists made their bikes loud so that cars would be alerted to their presence, the pipes would all point forwards.  The vehicles behind you can see you and know where you are.  It's the ones in front of you that you've got to be concerned about.

ysette9

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #499 on: June 13, 2018, 11:03:42 AM »
I have a deep-seated primal fear of loud noises. Apparently this goes back to in utero according to my mother. I Can’t Stand loud motorcycles (in looking at you, dumb-ass Harleys). Sure, they are obnoxious and anti-social and juvenile and dumb, but they also scare me like crazy. My oldest seems to also hate loud noises. She once threw a massive fit and refused to go into a public toilet with me because of the unpredictable and loud flushes and hand dryers. I get it. Whenever possible I try to find a family restroom so at least there is only one toilet and I can, hopefully, control when it flushes. This gives us time to cover our ears. The water-saving toilets rely on a massive sucking action to be effective and that is REALLY loud.