Author Topic: The 'I Don't Get It' thread. Rants accepted.  (Read 204911 times)

AnnaGrowsAMustache

• Handlebar Stache
Re: The 'I Don't Get It' thread. Rants accepted.
« Reply #100 on: May 16, 2018, 03:09:52 AM »
35-40 year old men playing video games for hours...Don't get it, I have never been a gamer, however most of my nephews are. I really feel bad for the wives and the kids, unless they are spending time with them playing together? I would rather be on the beach, out on the water, or in the mountains. Generational thing I guess.

Related...Movies that all look the same to me. Most seem to look like one big video game...?

Reality T.V. What a waste of time.

Gaming puts you in a flow state. People enjoy flow state. You can get it from exercise, work, anything really. That's why gaming is behaviourally addictive. It's kind of sad that some people haven't found another activity that puts them in a flow state, though. Most people have several, and a bit more productive ones than gaming. Although I qualify that by saying that I really enjoy gaming! I'm a grownup, however, so I prioritise work and family over bloody gaming.

AnnaGrowsAMustache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #101 on: May 16, 2018, 03:19:56 AM »
I don't get politics. Ok, I live in NZ, and this is a place where politicians don't do things like start wars or drop bombs or engage in corruption. It's an easy thing to have no interest in, in NZ. The only other place I've lived is Canada for several years. Similar situation. I might get politics if I lived somewhere else, but currently I don't get politics.

I don't get sport. It's all so frickin tedious. I did have a conversation with someone about why they like sport, though, and they talked about strategies and gameplay. I'm willing to accept that I might just not understand sport.

I don't get organised religion. Totally happy to accept anyone's individual beliefs, as long as they don't try to apply them to me. Seems like it should be an individual relationship with your god.

merlin7676

• Stubble
« Reply #102 on: May 16, 2018, 08:58:22 AM »
Running. Not good for the body. I am 61 and all my runner friends are having joints replaced. Cut it out, people.
Previous research I've done on this didn't seem to indicate that was true and that running can actually strengthen joints.  Having said that, I haven't done much running in in the last 15 years.

Home sapiens evolved to be runners. We aren't fast, or camouflaged, or secrete poison. But we are evolved to run for a long time at long distanced. So when we were chasing down that antelope on the savanna, it ran faster but eventually tired and we would come along and catch it

FireHiker

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #103 on: May 16, 2018, 09:36:08 AM »
Home sapiens evolved to be runners. We aren't fast, or camouflaged, or secrete poison. But we are evolved to run for a long time at long distanced. So when we were chasing down that antelope on the savanna, it ran faster but eventually tired and we would come along and catch it

I just finished reading Born to Run, which you've basically summed up here. I never "got" running either, until I started doing it this year. I get it now. I used to mostly get into the "flow" state that Anna describes by cross stitching, but I get it from running too. If you'd told me six months ago that I would be planning to run a half marathon in a couple weeks and feeling pretty good about it, I never would have believed it. My brother does ultras and I'm intrigued...

honeybbq

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #104 on: May 16, 2018, 10:02:02 AM »
Agree with the running conversation that is happening.

I used to have a lot of problems running. That was because I thought I could just go run and I'd get better at it. That wasn't the case. Even though I was athletic (soccer, skiing, hockey, etc) none really set the stage for long distance running. I always like low profile shoes, so the Born to Run theory worked for me as well.

Seeing a PT, learning where I was weak - working on some specialized exercises, getting a run gait analysis, and working on it made me a decent long distance runner. I did my first marathon on a very challenging course in 4:10 last year. This year I'm aiming to break 4 which shouldn't be hard considering I picked a flat course.

But back on topic:
I don't get fancy purses. I'm on other boards where women will literally be gleeful that a bag is on sale from 3k down to 2k. What?? I just don't understand. These are not heirlooms. These are leather bags that get dirty, sit on the floor, have crayons and lipstick in them, etc.

Dancin'Dog

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #105 on: May 16, 2018, 12:18:43 PM »
I don't get tattoos.

They're expensive, and almost guaranteed to create buyer's remorse at some point in the future. If they're visible, they can affect one's career path due to other's subconscious biases. And of course there is still the risk of contracting hepatitis C from getting one, although I believe this has been greatly reduced recent years.

Ditto.

And why are most of them ugly? 

Dances With Fire

• Stubble
« Reply #106 on: May 16, 2018, 12:26:43 PM »
35-40 year old men playing video games for hours...Don't get it, I have never been a gamer, however most of my nephews are. I really feel bad for the wives and the kids, unless they are spending time with them playing together? I would rather be on the beach, out on the water, or in the mountains. Generational thing I guess.

Related...Movies that all look the same to me. Most seem to look like one big video game...?

Gaming puts you in a flow state. People enjoy flow state. You can get it from exercise, work, anything really. That's why gaming is behaviourally addictive. It's kind of sad that some people haven't found another activity that puts them in a flow state, though. Most people have several, and a bit more productive ones than gaming. Although I qualify that by saying that I really enjoy gaming! I'm a grownup, however, so I prioritise work and family over bloody gaming.

Anna, actually thanks for your follow-up post. No one has explained this to me as a non-gamer quite the way you did. I too see this as very addictive and that is why I may be too critical towards the amount of time spent playing...

I DO get "the flow" that you speak of, some would call this as being in "the zone" in sports, running, etc. I am a (former) ice hockey player and snow skier...Yes, the rush, the flow (rhythm) of skates on ice or skis on snow...Other hockey players and skiers will "get this" others may not...Cheers.

Hula Hoop

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #107 on: May 16, 2018, 12:27:51 PM »
I don't get tattoos.

They're expensive, and almost guaranteed to create buyer's remorse at some point in the future. If they're visible, they can affect one's career path due to other's subconscious biases. And of course there is still the risk of contracting hepatitis C from getting one, although I believe this has been greatly reduced recent years.

Ditto.

Same here tattoos.  Most are hideous and even the non-hideous ones become hideous after 10+ years.  Also I can't imagine choosing something now and then having to 'wear' it forever.  I look back on my fashion sense 20 years ago and cringe.  Lucky I didn't get a tattoo.

DrumAllDay

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #108 on: May 16, 2018, 12:51:56 PM »
Luxury pick-up trucks. I don't really get luxury vehicles in general but especially when they are giant pick-up trucks hauling nothing but themselves; an urban cowboy/girl in their business suite commuting to work driving like a jack ass, thinking they own the road.

simonsez

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #109 on: May 16, 2018, 01:56:32 PM »
Expensive paintings (for simplicity, let's say anything 7 figures or higher), especially Mark Rothko and Jackson Pollock artwork and the value some of their pieces* fetch.

*- Their individual bios are interesting, as I think are most that devote themselves to art's various forms - but 3 different colors with horizontal lines or some paint dripped shouldn't be worth 9 figures.  And I don't blame Rothko or Pollock, it's not them driving their own prices up directly.

If a painting really moves you, buy the poster and have it framed for less than $200.  Save the millions for additional enterprises or charity/scientific development.  If it's an ego thing, they'll name a wing after you (side note, I LOVE the "The Anonymous Donor" episode of Curb Your Enthusiasm, classic!).

At least with a pissing contest for the nicest house, boat, car, clothing, etc. - all of those things have tangible function provided you live in it or drive it or wear it.

Scandium

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #110 on: May 16, 2018, 02:07:46 PM »

I just finished reading Born to Run, which you've basically summed up here. I never "got" running either, until I started doing it this year. I get it now. I used to mostly get into the "flow" state that Anna describes by cross stitching, but I get it from running too. If you'd told me six months ago that I would be planning to run a half marathon in a couple weeks and feeling pretty good about it, I never would have believed it. My brother does ultras and I'm intrigued...

"Runners live longer, but by less than the time spent running. So they really have to love running"

[some doctor]
« Last Edit: May 16, 2018, 02:57:16 PM by Scandium »

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #111 on: May 16, 2018, 02:51:53 PM »
I don't get tattoos.

Ditto.

Same here tattoos.  Most are hideous and even the non-hideous ones become hideous after 10+ years.  Also I can't imagine choosing something now and then having to 'wear' it forever.  I look back on my fashion sense 20 years ago and cringe.  Lucky I didn't get a tattoo.
I once saw a very pregnant young woman in a store. She had a strand of bright green ivy tattooed all the way around her belly and was wearing a crop top to show it off. I couldn't help but wonder if she'd actually had it done while pregnant, and what those vines were going to look like post baby or after possible future babies. It was so weird and it must have been expensive. I had to bite my tongue and just walk in another direction. The tattoo actually wasn't ugly but it didn't look like it would stand the test of time.

mm1970

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #112 on: May 16, 2018, 04:56:50 PM »

I used to have a lot of problems running. That was because I thought I could just go run and I'd get better at it. That wasn't the case. Even though I was athletic (soccer, skiing, hockey, etc) none really set the stage for long distance running. I always like low profile shoes, so the Born to Run theory worked for me as well.

Seeing a PT, learning where I was weak - working on some specialized exercises, getting a run gait analysis, and working on it made me a decent long distance runner. I did my first marathon on a very challenging course in 4:10 last year. This year I'm aiming to break 4 which shouldn't be hard considering I picked a flat course.

But back on topic:
I don't get fancy purses. I'm on other boards where women will literally be gleeful that a bag is on sale from 3k down to 2k. What?? I just don't understand. These are not heirlooms. These are leather bags that get dirty, sit on the floor, have crayons and lipstick in them, etc.

I ran my first 2 half marathons 8-9 years ago.  I'm short and stocky and not "built" for running.  I got injured but managed a 10:00 pace for the second one.  But the injuries sidelined me for years.

So I started running again a couple of years ago.  I've done 3 more half marathons (though I kinda think I'm done.  I'm almost 48, and I'm not built for running, and 13 miles is too. effing. long.) I started working with a running coach last year, and I've found that with exercises to build my hip and core, and work on my turnover and stride (more turnover, shorter stride), that I'm running without injury.

Of course, I'm running a lot slower.  I was thrilled to beat 2:30 on my half last weekend, didn't think it was even possible - not close to my PR and slower than even my first half.

pbkmaine

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #113 on: May 16, 2018, 05:56:59 PM »
I don't get tattoos.

Ditto.

I don’t generally like tattoos, but one of my sorority sisters got a lovely floral design across her reconstructed breast after cancer surgery. Completely covers the scars and looks great. Makes her feel edgy and beautiful, too.

AnnaGrowsAMustache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #114 on: May 17, 2018, 12:16:46 AM »

Anna, actually thanks for your follow-up post. No one has explained this to me as a non-gamer quite the way you did. I too see this as very addictive and that is why I may be too critical towards the amount of time spent playing...

I DO get "the flow" that you speak of, some would call this as being in "the zone" in sports, running, etc. I am a (former) ice hockey player and snow skier...Yes, the rush, the flow (rhythm) of skates on ice or skis on snow...Other hockey players and skiers will "get this" others may not...Cheers.

Gaming suffers from a weird bias. I mean, reading is just as solitary, inactive, pointless and escapist, but if you spend all day reading you won't get the same response from people as you do talking about gaming. Meh, I say people should just enjoy what they enjoy.

AnnaGrowsAMustache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #115 on: May 17, 2018, 12:21:49 AM »
Running. Not good for the body. I am 61 and all my runner friends are having joints replaced. Cut it out, people.
Previous research I've done on this didn't seem to indicate that was true and that running can actually strengthen joints.  Having said that, I haven't done much running in in the last 15 years.

We did not evolve to run antelope down. That antelope would be so far ahead of you, it's forgotten you exist. We evolved to solve problems and make things like traps - even as simple a trap as herding those antelope off a cliff. And then we problem solved by learning to dry and preserve meat. We can process cause and effect, we can imagine things that don't currently exist and we can imagine future events. That's our talent. We are problem solvers.

runbikerun

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #116 on: May 17, 2018, 12:58:43 AM »
We absolutely did evolve to run down antelope: humans are absolute garbage at every aspect of physical prowess except distance running. A human in good condition and hot weather can cover more distance in a day than any other land animal. We're hairless and sweaty because it lets us cool more effectively than other animals, and our stride when running is fabulously economical. Other animals are faster over short distances, but we are the kings and queens of endurance. An antelope can put several hundred metres between it and a human, but not every ninety seconds: eventually its body gives up and it's caught.

We are the remorseless, unstoppable horror film monsters of the animal kingdom.

runbikerun

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #117 on: May 17, 2018, 01:08:40 AM »
There's actually a hypothesis that our intelligence was an evolutionary side effect: switching to a vertical stance for running meant we ended up with babies born very early in gestation compared to other primates' gestation periods. Because human babies were so comparatively helpless from the start, selecting the right mate became crucial to maximise the chances of reproductive success, and so intelligence emerged as a way of spotting the right long term partner.

Rightflyer

• Bristles
« Reply #118 on: May 17, 2018, 02:55:45 AM »
We absolutely did evolve to run down antelope: humans are absolute garbage at every aspect of physical prowess except distance running. A human in good condition and hot weather can cover more distance in a day than any other land animal. We're hairless and sweaty because it lets us cool more effectively than other animals, and our stride when running is fabulously economical. Other animals are faster over short distances, but we are the kings and queens of endurance. An antelope can put several hundred metres between it and a human, but not every ninety seconds: eventually its body gives up and it's caught.

...Along with wolves. Which may go some way to explaining our affinity with them (and their descendants).

MrThatsDifferent

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #119 on: May 17, 2018, 04:24:39 AM »
People who have their heads stuck in smartphones while walking across the street! I don’t get it!

Dancin'Dog

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #120 on: May 17, 2018, 05:20:57 AM »
I don't think anybody's mentioned vaping yet.  I think there are almost as many vape shops around here as mattress stores.  Btw, are mattress stores a front for something?  How many mattresses do they really sell?  "Something" has to be going on, right?

Getting back to vaping, what's the huge puff of smoke that we see pouring out of cars & from dudes vaping down the sidewalks?  It looks like something from a cartoon.  Is it steam or something?  Sure doesn't "look" like a healthy alternative to smoking.

DreamFIRE

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #121 on: May 17, 2018, 05:27:57 AM »

Speaking of video gaming, I don't get "watching" other people play video games.  When I was younger, I always hated that part and couldn't wait until it was my turn to play again.  But now, "watching" is a thing.

Sojourner

• Stubble
« Reply #122 on: May 17, 2018, 06:29:17 AM »
Coincidentally, I was contacted by a sibling last evening, asking if I knew of any job their son could do.  His gaming thing is getting out of hand and all he seems to want, when he's not being kept busy with something else, is park himself in front of the computer with earphones and smack those buttons...for crazy amounts of hours.

I fear this sort of thing is not uncommon.  I'd rather see him running down antelope or pretty much anything else that's even slightly more productive.

mak1277

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #123 on: May 17, 2018, 06:44:37 AM »

I'm not well-enough educated on the subject to say whether this is true or not.  What I *do* know, is that I'm thankful I can walk, at any pace I choose, into a grocery store and buy a steak.  Running may be in our evolutionary history, but that doesn't mean we have to play ball.  We're beyond that now.

ketchup

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #124 on: May 17, 2018, 08:23:43 AM »
I think there are almost as many vape shops around here as mattress stores.  Btw, are mattress stores a front for something?  How many mattresses do they really sell?  "Something" has to be going on, right?
I really don't get this one.  Last year I walked past a Mattress Firm across the street from .... a Mattress Firm.  I did a double-take.

Vape shops at least make a little sense (people have to keep buying the consumables) but the ubiquity of mattress stores is just bizarre.  Aren't all the best/best value mattresses online now anyway?  I'm not super educated on the market, as we bought our mattress used about five years ago.

slappy

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #125 on: May 17, 2018, 08:36:51 AM »
Coincidentally, I was contacted by a sibling last evening, asking if I knew of any job their son could do.  His gaming thing is getting out of hand and all he seems to want, when he's not being kept busy with something else, is park himself in front of the computer with earphones and smack those buttons...for crazy amounts of hours.

I fear this sort of thing is not uncommon.  I'd rather see him running down antelope or pretty much anything else that's even slightly more productive.

My brother was like this. He ended up at the local recruiter's office. Now he flies Blackhawks.

honeybbq

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #126 on: May 17, 2018, 10:05:20 AM »

But back on topic:

I ran my first 2 half marathons 8-9 years ago.  I'm short and stocky and not "built" for running.  I got injured but managed a 10:00 pace for the second one.  But the injuries sidelined me for years.

So I started running again a couple of years ago.  I've done 3 more half marathons (though I kinda think I'm done.  I'm almost 48, and I'm not built for running, and 13 miles is too. effing. long.) I started working with a running coach last year, and I've found that with exercises to build my hip and core, and work on my turnover and stride (more turnover, shorter stride), that I'm running without injury.

Of course, I'm running a lot slower.  I was thrilled to beat 2:30 on my half last weekend, didn't think it was even possible - not close to my PR and slower than even my first half.

Good job! I know we all focus on speed and times, but there is a lot of good things happening even when you aren't chasing a PR.

In one of my running magazines, there was an article about how 5ks and 10ks are a great distance for "non" runners, if you will. It gets you off the couch enough to keep you in shape, doesn't take you away from your family for too long, and you still get benefits of being active without as much risk for injury. 20 minutes a night is what my PT said, to keep those stabilization and minor muscles strong enough to keep you running without pain.

Schaefer Light

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #127 on: May 17, 2018, 10:27:01 AM »
People who have their heads stuck in smartphones while walking across the street! I don’t get it!
Natural selection may eventually take care of that ;).  Couldn't resist with the evolutionary posts just above yours.

I'm a red panda

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #128 on: May 17, 2018, 10:34:27 AM »

Speaking of video gaming, I don't get "watching" other people play video games.  When I was younger, I always hated that part and couldn't wait until it was my turn to play again.  But now, "watching" is a thing.

I don't watch gaming on youtube, but when I was a kid there was one ninetndo for a neighborhood group of 8 kids. I wasn't one of the oldest, nor one of the owners, so I never got to play- I watched. Now as an adult, I prefer to spend time with my husband watching him play than play myself. 

Travis

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #129 on: May 17, 2018, 10:48:27 AM »
Natural selection may eventually take care of that ;).  Couldn't resist with the evolutionary posts just above yours.

Between staring at smartphones or living with earbuds jammed in, I'm amazed the streets aren't littered with bodies of the mugged and vehicular manslaughters.  There is a 50 yard stretch of my bicycle commute that I must be on the sidewalk.  It is narrow and often has one or two pedestrians that I overtake from behind. I will shout "excuse me!" at a volume that would be considered rude and aggressive, but if they're "plugged in" they don't notice me at all. I'll shout this from 5 feet away without them flinching. Yesterday a guy who was paying attention nearly jumped out of his shoes and I had to explain why I was so loud.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2018, 10:51:04 AM by Travis »

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #130 on: May 17, 2018, 11:06:00 AM »
Bottled water (when tap water is typically better quality).  Swiffers (instead of a mop/broom).  Leaf blowers (when rakes exist).  Car alarms (when left to go off on a near daily basis, how effective do you really believe that they are?).  Tying your self worth/feelings of masculinity to the vehicle you drive.  Not paying off a credit card each month.

WTF people, you can do better!

slackmax

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #131 on: May 17, 2018, 12:50:41 PM »
I don't get why people remodel a perfectly good kitchen, etc. just because they are tired of the old stuff, which functions perfectly well, and can anyone really give a **** what kind of countertop you have???  I would possibly get it if it weren't so outrageously expensive. I would possibly get it if you are addicted to carpentry and you want it to be a DIY project.     

driftwood

• Bristles
« Reply #132 on: May 17, 2018, 12:55:38 PM »
Leaf blowers (when rakes exist).

If you live where you need to clear debris like leaves from gravelly areas, the leaf blower is a hugely valuable tool.  The rake takes the rocks along with the leaves. Also really efficient way of getting leaves and other kind of debris in one place to be picked/scooped up for disposal, especially on large properties and parking lots. I don't know enough about grass to say definitively, but it's probably also better for the yard plants than a rake would be. When I've raked lawns I end up taking a large portion of the grass with the leaves. It's one of the few powered tools where I begrudgingly recognize their value.

Curmudgeon

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #133 on: May 17, 2018, 01:43:12 PM »
Similar to what someone else said, but... I don't get people who go camping, but bring along their stereos, TVs with satellite dish, microwave, A/C etc.  And then, leave the area trashed when they go.  If you want all the comforts of home, why not stay home?  If you enjoy the beauty of the outdoors, why do you leave all your trash behind?

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #134 on: May 17, 2018, 01:57:02 PM »

If you live where you need to clear debris like leaves from gravelly areas, the leaf blower is a hugely valuable tool.  The rake takes the rocks along with the leaves. Also really efficient way of getting leaves and other kind of debris in one place to be picked/scooped up for disposal, especially on large properties and parking lots. I don't know enough about grass to say definitively, but it's probably also better for the yard plants than a rake would be. When I've raked lawns I end up taking a large portion of the grass with the leaves. It's one of the few powered tools where I begrudgingly recognize their value.

Truth be told, I'm not entirely convinced there's much reason to rake leaves ever.  Why waste so much of your life trying to prevent leaves from doing what they're designed to do by nature?  If you hate seeing leaves on a lawn, cut down all the nearby trees.  (Not sure why anyone would be hellbent on raking gravel either.)

:P

Zikoris

• Magnum Stache
  • Vancouverstachian
« Reply #135 on: May 17, 2018, 03:38:22 PM »
I like watching my boyfriend play video games because I can tell him what to do :) I don't have the reflexes to play most action games myself (though more and more companies are implementing "story mode" or "super duper easy mode" for people like me), but I'm really good at figuring out puzzles and maps and stuff. My boyfriend is awful at that stuff - I think he's gotten lost in pretty much every game he's ever played alone until I rescue him. But he has good reflexes and doesn't get killed constantly, unlike me. So it turns into a bit of a joint effort.

DreamFIRE

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #136 on: May 17, 2018, 06:34:15 PM »
I like watching my boyfriend play video games because I can tell him what to do :) I don't have the reflexes to play most action games myself (though more and more companies are implementing "story mode" or "super duper easy mode" for people like me), but I'm really good at figuring out puzzles and maps and stuff. My boyfriend is awful at that stuff - I think he's gotten lost in pretty much every game he's ever played alone until I rescue him. But he has good reflexes and doesn't get killed constantly, unlike me. So it turns into a bit of a joint effort.

That makes sense.  I was actually thinking about the people who make big money on youtube with videos of playing video games because of the people who enjoy watching - there's no engagement at all in those cases.

Dave1442397

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #137 on: May 17, 2018, 06:41:20 PM »

Truth be told, I'm not entirely convinced there's much reason to rake leaves ever.  Why waste so much of your life trying to prevent leaves from doing what they're designed to do by nature?  If you hate seeing leaves on a lawn, cut down all the nearby trees.  (Not sure why anyone would be hellbent on raking gravel either.)

It takes me a good 16 hours to blow leaves every year (I usually do it twice, 8 hours each time). That's just the front yard and maybe an 8 foot swathe around the house. I do the front because it looks like crap with leaves all over, plus they mostly blow down the driveway and into the garage if I don't take care of them. I blow them away from the foundation around the house to avoid trapping water all winter. I leave the back yard alone, so the leaves do their thing and disappear around this time of the year.

We tried raking leaves the first year we lived here, and after spending a weekend without making an appreciable difference, I bought a RedMax EB7001, which has served faithfully for the past 16 years.

Rightflyer

• Bristles
« Reply #138 on: May 18, 2018, 12:44:34 AM »

It takes me a good 16 hours to blow leaves every year (I usually do it twice, 8 hours each time). That's just the front yard and maybe an 8 foot swathe around the house. I do the front because it looks like crap with leaves all over, plus they mostly blow down the driveway and into the garage if I don't take care of them. I blow them away from the foundation around the house to avoid trapping water all winter. I leave the back yard alone, so the leaves do their thing and disappear around this time of the year.

We tried raking leaves the first year we lived here, and after spending a weekend without making an appreciable difference, I bought a RedMax EB7001, which has served faithfully for the past 16 years.

Your neighbours must love you.

Dave1442397

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #139 on: May 18, 2018, 05:07:27 AM »

My neighbors have just as many leaves, and both next door neighbors also use backpack blowers. When you live in a 60-year-old development with this many trees, you're going to hear plenty of yard equipment in the fall. I must have well over 100 trees on my property alone.

somers515

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #140 on: May 18, 2018, 05:13:33 AM »

My neighbors have just as many leaves, and both next door neighbors also use backpack blowers. When you live in a 60-year-old development with this many trees, you're going to hear plenty of yard equipment in the fall. I must have well over 100 trees on my property alone.

Sounds like someone should spend less time blowing leaves and more time reading MMM: http://www.mrmoneymustache.com/2011/12/05/muscle-over-motor/

Dave1442397

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #141 on: May 18, 2018, 07:06:24 AM »

Sounds like someone should spend less time blowing leaves and more time reading MMM: http://www.mrmoneymustache.com/2011/12/05/muscle-over-motor/

Mmm, nope. I'm not wasting 80+ hours raking leaves. I can ride my bike 1600 miles in 80 hours - that['s my exercise.

dignam

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #142 on: May 18, 2018, 07:25:19 AM »

Gaming suffers from a weird bias. I mean, reading is just as solitary, inactive, pointless and escapist, but if you spend all day reading you won't get the same response from people as you do talking about gaming. Meh, I say people should just enjoy what they enjoy.

This.  There is a stigma applied to gamers that should also be applied to people who read all the time.  Hell, even people who watch TV all the time are generally given a pass.  But nope, not gamers.  At least you're actually working toward something/interacting (sometimes even with other people), which you cannot generally say with watching TV.

dude

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #143 on: May 18, 2018, 07:38:20 AM »
Football...

As in, the game itself? Or the peculiar phenomenon of people gluing themselves to TV sets every fall weekend (the best time of year to be outdoors) to watch the game?

Because the game -- man, I tell you, I loved it more than anything when I was playing it in my youth. It's hard to describe that feeling of walking out onto the field under the lights on a Friday night with everyone cheering, or the high of dominating your opponent in a physical contest of wills, of smashing somebody in the mouth to make that touchdown-saving tackle. It was the greatest feeling in my life, seriously. And I learned a lot about fighting through adversity, teamwork, hard work, showing up on time, commitment, etc, etc. Life lessons that still impact me to this day.

Of course, I get that in today's world with what we now know about CTE and its lasting impacts, it's hard to feel the same way about the game. I probably wouldn't let my kids play if I had kids, and that's hard for me to say, because there was a time in my life when I dreamed of having kids who would be gridiron warriors I could cheer on from the sidelines.

Anyone else here have the same experience?
« Last Edit: May 23, 2018, 08:13:43 AM by dude »

driftwood

• Bristles
« Reply #144 on: May 18, 2018, 07:59:38 AM »

I don't, anymore. It was a chore I had as a kid and teen, which I did again when I owned my first house, and then again when I rented and was legally responsible to keep the lawn tidy. I don't even 'believe in' grass anymore. Grow a plant to cut the plant, but you can't eat the plant?  Then add threes for shade but they drop leaves to kill the grass and monopolize nutrients for themselves, so you gotta rake up those leaves too, but be careful you don't kill the grass!  You wouldn't want it to die and leave you without mowing responsibilities. Next place I rent yard maintenance will be in the lease as a responsibility of the owner.  I don't give a shit about maintaining a frail, fake ecosystem for a landlord.

chloes1

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #145 on: May 18, 2018, 07:59:58 AM »
If you ever figure it out, let me know -- please?

My son would do just that all day if I let him!

That makes sense.  I was actually thinking about the people who make big money on youtube with videos of playing video games because of the people who enjoy watching - there's no engagement at all in those cases.

I'm a red panda

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #146 on: May 18, 2018, 08:47:10 AM »
Is it any different than watching a TV show really?
Like a cooking show when you have no intention of making the dish yourself?

Chris22

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #147 on: May 18, 2018, 08:56:42 AM »

I don't, anymore. It was a chore I had as a kid and teen, which I did again when I owned my first house, and then again when I rented and was legally responsible to keep the lawn tidy. I don't even 'believe in' grass anymore. Grow a plant to cut the plant, but you can't eat the plant?  Then add threes for shade but they drop leaves to kill the grass and monopolize nutrients for themselves, so you gotta rake up those leaves too, but be careful you don't kill the grass!  You wouldn't want it to die and leave you without mowing responsibilities. Next place I rent yard maintenance will be in the lease as a responsibility of the owner.  I don't give a shit about maintaining a frail, fake ecosystem for a landlord.

Aside from being aesthetically pleasing to most people, a healthy lawn will keep soil from eroding due to rain and creating runoff, will help absorb water and keep your yard from being a muddy mess, keeps out other invasive weeds, and provides an excellent place to play for kids or for sports for adults. 

SachaFiscal

• Bristles
« Reply #148 on: May 18, 2018, 09:10:47 AM »
I don't get why people think its okay to put a nice ding in your car door and not even leave a simple note that says "sorry".

Agree.  This just happened to me this morning.  And it was my next door neighbor.  Red car, car door directly in line with the red ding.  Still pondering how to handle this.

I miss the days when people just kept dogs in their backyards and that's where they pooped.  I never sit on grass in public parks anymore because chances are there was poop there.

ChpBstrd

• Walrus Stache
  • Location: A poor and backward Southern state known as minimum wage country
« Reply #149 on: May 18, 2018, 10:00:14 AM »
1) Lawns
2) Dogs
3) People who get pissed at the neighbors whose dogs contribute natural compost to their lawns EVEN THOUGH their own dogs can contribute natural compost there, as if it's a territorial thing or the shit is somehow different.
4) People described under #3 who encourage me to "adopt" a dog even as they make life miserable and degrading for dog owners.