Author Topic: Tell me about your tasty Christmas!!!!  (Read 5130 times)

11ducks

• Pencil Stache
Tell me about your tasty Christmas!!!!
« on: December 24, 2017, 10:19:19 PM »
Hey all,

Merry Christmas guys!! It's a little after lunch on Christmas Day in Qld, 32'C (90'F) and sweltering.

This year we managed to stay home for Christmas, which has been super relaxing (we will see relatives tomorrow).  We just finished our Christmas lunch here, which got me wondering what special meals/celebrations other Mustachians will have for their Christmas lunches / dinners????

This was our very casual lunch, served with ginger beer  - cold roasted ham and roast vegetables with salad and rolls (and grilled corn, which I obviously had a lot of, it was sooo good!) Pavlova with fruit for dessert (stock pic, I forgot a pic of mine). Delicious (though a bit of a sugar rush)! 

I would love to see/hear about how different MMM'ers celebrate, and what you are having for lunch or dinner for your Christmas feast!

Carrie

• Pencil Stache
Re: Tell me about your tasty Christmas!!!!
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2017, 11:13:38 PM »
We're having Beef Wellington. I've already made the puff pastry from scratch, and have the loin all seared off and rolled with mushrooms & prosciutto.  It'll be awesome. This is my first time making it.
I'll serve it up with some smashed red potatoes and some sautéed greens. We have lemon cookies for dessert. Breakfast will be a casserole - cheesy grits on bottom, andouille sausage layer, topped with scrambled eggs & more cheese. I've got pancakes already made for the kids.

PhilB

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2 on: December 25, 2017, 04:54:16 AM »
Our plan was seared scallops with black pudding, followed by roast pheasant with all the trimmings, all washed down with a bottle or two of bubbly.  Unfortunately we were both so ill with colds we couldn't face cooking :0(

Roadrunner53

• Magnum Stache
Tell me about your tasty Christmas!!!!
« Reply #3 on: December 25, 2017, 05:14:49 AM »
One big ass prime rib roast! If you have one to cook, use this recipe. Comes out rare and beautiful. Seems to be perfect no matter what size you cook. You can make your own seasoning or use the recipe.

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/paula-deen/foolproof-standing-rib-roast-recipe-1940448

ysette9

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #4 on: December 25, 2017, 12:14:29 PM »
With a toddler, a newborn, and a handful of sick adults around the house, lunch today will be super simple. Oven roasted mixed veg, a pre-cooked roast beast of some sort, and some heat-and-serve sides.

I did do a spread of nibbles to lunch on while opening presents. Whole wheat crackers, sharp cheddar, olives, hummus, garlic spread, olive tapenade, and assortment of salami-type cured meats. All of course with some tasty bubbles to make the morning a bit merrier.

NV Teacher

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #5 on: December 25, 2017, 01:38:17 PM »
I went for quick and easy.  A tasty baked chicken dish with a salad and green beans.  No dessert because we are all sugared out from the last few days. 

soccerluvof4

• Walrus Stache
  • Retired at 50
    • My Journal
« Reply #6 on: December 25, 2017, 01:43:09 PM »
We had Turkey, Ham, and Sloppy Joes sandwiches. Meatballs , little wieners wrapped in bacon , some other hot dip. Tuna salad, German potato salad and a broccoli type salad. To many deserts to name. The type of food that tastes so good you go around and nibble in it only to still get overstuffed and feel like crap the next day because of it all.. Once a year it was good but I had stomach issues! :-p

I'm a red panda

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #7 on: December 25, 2017, 02:58:30 PM »
Christmas is a depressing holiday for me, and being home just makes me so sad.I try my best to get out of the house, but it was about 9 degrees F, so too cold for me to want to take the baby on a hike or something.

I found out a restaurant we like was open, and despite being a bit unmustachian we went out for sushi. It was delicious. I had 3 rolls: spicy tuna, shrimp tempura and shrimp mango.

Tonight we do a traditional prime rib dinner with our neighbors.

Blackeagle

• Bristles
« Reply #8 on: December 25, 2017, 03:10:51 PM »
Turkey breast, dressing, mashed potatoes, and pumpkin chiffon pie.  The turkey carcass is simmering on the stove right now to make stock, so there'll be turkey soup tomorrow too.

MrsPete

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #9 on: December 25, 2017, 04:36:58 PM »
Christmas Eve with the extended family:  Traditional meal with Ham, Roast, Turkey and alllllll the fixings.

Christmas Day Brunch:  Fillet mignon Hash topped with a perfectly cooked runny egg (like Corned Beef Hash, but enjoyed only on Christmas day and utterly delicious) with sourdough toast and fresh fruit. 

Christmas Even Dinner:  Leftovers of all the above, with the addition of a little salad.

anotherAlias

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #10 on: December 25, 2017, 05:00:49 PM »
You guys are making me hungry.  I've been a at my parents for 3 nights and havent had a good meal yet.  Everything has been heavily processed pre packaged crap that was heated in the microwave or toaster oven a few minutes before serving.  Last night my digestive system protested and i spent the whole evening on the toilet.  Tonight might be a similar fate, time will tell.  BTW, heating mashed potatoes and stuffing in the same dish produces nasty tasting potatoes...just warning in case anyone else thinks that might be a good idea

Retire-Canada

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #11 on: December 25, 2017, 05:23:23 PM »
We've a big turkey in the oven and some friends coming over for dinner tonight. Nothing fancy, but it will be nice and we'll have turkey to eat for the rest of the holiday week.

pachnik

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #12 on: December 25, 2017, 05:51:03 PM »
Christmas Eve - Scandinavian smorgasbord with my husband's extended family.  Ham, hashbrowns, Swedish meatballs, pickled herring, Norwegian brown cheese, lefsa bread, crepes with whipped cream and lingon berry sauce for dessert

Christmas Day dinner - we are getting Chinese take-out since we're celebrating Christmas with my family tomorrow on Boxing Day. 

Boxing Day dinner - soup, turkey and the usual trimmings.  I made the cranberry sauce and my husband is baking the bread.   We are making our own turkey too to have as left overs since we both love it. 

Enjoy, everybody!

Cpa Cat

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #13 on: December 25, 2017, 06:16:45 PM »
For context:

Galuskies: Meatballs made with ground meat and rice and wrapped in cabbage.

Vegetarians: Us.

Grandma: "Well, galuskies have rice and cabbage, so they're vegetarian. You can eat those."

MBot

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #14 on: December 25, 2017, 06:35:14 PM »
Christmas Eve - made breakfast buffet for several people

Today - Cooking for four adults (one gluten-free relative) and a toddler.

Main meal
Homemade clover leaf buns from leftover cinnamon bun dough
Gluten free bread
Butter
Turkey price-matched, $7.50 for a 11 lb Butterball!!!!
Turkey gravy from giblets and drippings
Homemade cranberry-grapefruit sauce with leftover frozen Thanksgiving berries
Basic sage/celery/onion stuffing, regular and gluten-free
Mashed potatoes with cream, butter and giblet stock
Mashed sweet potato with butter and giblet stock
Cooked carrots with brown sugar and dried garden thyme

Drinks
Ginger ale
Grapefruit juice

Desserts
Homemade gluten-free crustless pumpkin pie (ED Smith filling recipe, add a tablespoon of cornstarch and bake in a 8" round cake pan)
Apple-cranberry crumble with pumpkin oat topping

Tomorrow
- Cinnamon rolls (made 2 days ago, froze, will defrost and bake tomorrow)
- gluten-free toast and oatmeal for gluten-free person.

I'm a red panda

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #15 on: December 25, 2017, 06:39:17 PM »
Reporting back : instead of the traditional prime rib dinner (which I don't really eat) neighbors made beef tenderloin which was amazing.

Yum!

BTDretire

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #16 on: December 25, 2017, 06:46:52 PM »
The two kids and their boy/girl freinds are here, Saturday big steaks perfectly cooked on the grill. Sunday, Lamp chops with pesto sauce on the grill, both cooked by my daughter's boyfriend. Monday, my daughter roasted a turkey she brined, it was very moist and tasty.
  For Monday's supper we shucked about 7 dozen oysters, ate a few raw and the rest microwaved with parmsean cheese and shredded cheese, dribbled with fresh picked lemon juice and Frank's red hot sauce.

redwagon

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #17 on: December 25, 2017, 06:54:46 PM »
I want to eat all the food!
We had sauerbrauten, schnitzel, spatzel and red cabbage- super delicious!

tinylittlemonkey

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #18 on: December 25, 2017, 07:33:22 PM »
Our oven is broken. Oops. So we made do and cooked a turkey breast in the crockpot, stovetop on the stove, and microwaved potatoes with olives, deviled eggs, rolls, and two buck chuck. Turned out great! lol
« Last Edit: December 26, 2017, 01:15:28 PM by tinylittlemonkey »

Moustachienne

• Bristles
« Reply #19 on: December 25, 2017, 09:26:16 PM »
Family yesterday on Christmas Eve and more family tomorrow on Boxing Day so today for the first time in a very long time it was just DH and me at home for Christmas Day.

Coddled eggs and home baked bagels for breakfast.  Strange nibbles around mid day (orange slices, sharp cheddar slices, raw veggies, chocolates...).  Post walk Manhattans with more veggies plus pretzels and roasted pumpkin seeds while playing Scrabble.  Dinner was red wine and top sirloin roast beef with roasted onions, sweet potatoes, and Brussels, plus rice and gravy over all. Slices of fruit panettone for dessert plus more chocolates.  Delicious! Relaxing!  Really a great day.

Jenny Wren

• Pencil Stache
  • Just another dharma bum
« Reply #20 on: December 25, 2017, 09:47:27 PM »
My dad passed away just after the holidays some years ago, so to celebrate his memory we have his favorite barbecue for our holiday dinner. We pick it up on Christmas eve and my mom reheats it. BBQ pork, baked beans, coleslaw, potato salad, the whole deal. I bring barbecue jackfruit for myself (I'm a vegetarian). Very easy and no fuss, even if it isn't traditional.

11ducks

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #21 on: December 26, 2017, 12:41:43 AM »
For context:

Galuskies: Meatballs made with ground meat and rice and wrapped in cabbage.

Vegetarians: Us.

Grandma: "Well, galuskies have rice and cabbage, so they're vegetarian. You can eat those."

Haha, good work Grandma, nearly got there.

These are amazing, what a variety we have!

chasingthegoodlife

• Bristles
« Reply #22 on: December 26, 2017, 01:33:32 AM »
Christmas Eve with the inlaws - seafood, salads and (too much!) champagne. Pavlova and Christmas pudding for dessert.
Christmas Day with my family - Chinese restaurant which we all love and love my mum’s reduced stress levels even more. Then back to mum and dads for about 7 kinds of dessert. So good.

Imma

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #23 on: December 26, 2017, 01:36:59 AM »
Christmas Eve:

Starters:
French bread + assorted spreads, platter with olives, veggies, etc. Vol-au-vents filled with mushroom ragout. This is a very old fashioned dish but I have always loved them and brings back memories of long deceased relatives.
Main course: roast chicken
Dessert: ice cream.

Christmas Day breakfast: scones, assorted breads + spreads, vol-au-vents with mushroom ragout.
Christmas Day dinner:  Leftovers from yesterday's starter. We stopped eating after the starter because we'd had enough.

Boxing day lunch at grandma's: probably a light soup, maybe vol-au-vents, assorted breads + spreads, salad, cake and ice cream for dessert
Boxing day dinner: if we still feel like eating, leftovers from Christmas Eve main course. Otherwise, we'll eat that tomorrow. After that the chicken's carcass will be used for soup.

We've both been ill this week and the friend we invited cancelled because of illness too, so we chose a very light and easy to prepare menu. I think we spent half an hour in the kitchen making the mushroom ragout, preparing the chicken and making some of the spreads. Lunch at grandma's today will be fun, seeing all my cousins that I don't see too often, but my appetite hasn't really recovered from my illness yet and I already know all my relatives will be very pushy with the food. You are expected to absolutely stuff your face because they always buy way too much food and will blame us for being "left with all that good food that's going to waste now". As a compromise, I usually offer to take leftovers home instead of eating all that food right away.

PhilB

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #24 on: December 26, 2017, 02:00:08 AM »
Our plan was seared scallops with black pudding, followed by roast pheasant with all the trimmings, all washed down with a bottle or two of bubbly.  Unfortunately we were both so ill with colds we couldn't face cooking :0(
The scallops are still in the freezer, but finally managed to cook the pheasant yesterday evening which was delicious. Still too sick for the canoe clubs boxing day paddle though :o(

Xmas day Lunch was just a sandwich, but I had three pickled onions with it - "If you have a dry martini tonight that will be your five-a-day"

marty998

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #25 on: December 26, 2017, 02:28:05 AM »
Kangaroo meat, at a camp in Yulara, a stones throw away from Uluru.

And cherries. Lots and lots of Aussie cherries

neo von retorch

• Magnum Stache
    • Fi@retorch - personal finance tracking
« Reply #26 on: December 26, 2017, 07:27:23 AM »
We hosted, and we did things our way. Hopefully we're starting some traditions!

Our breakfast for lunch included:
+ baked bacon
+ grilled sausage
+ scrapple
+ scrambled eggs
+ quiche varieties
+ roasted potatoes
+ chocolate chip pancakes
+ banana bread
+ muffins
+ sparkling cider
+ mimosas
+ coffee and hot cocoa
+ fresh fruit
+ chocolate chip cookies

There was more but this was the main meal. Most was homemade as much as it could be. I made the chocolate chip pancakes and cookies from scratch. I slow-bake the bacon for roughly 30 minutes until just pre-crispy. Everyone raved! The kids said "wow, a holiday meal we'll actually eat!"

mm1970

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #27 on: December 26, 2017, 11:16:27 AM »
Christmas Eve: vegetarian chili in the pressure cooker (from The New Fast Food by Jill Nussinow).  Gluten free corn bread.

Christmas Day: baked chicken legs, mashed potato casserole (made with sour cream, butter, cream cheese), roast green beans and brussels sprouts

Way too much wine and rice krispie chocolate peanut butter balls.

ketchup

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #28 on: December 26, 2017, 11:31:13 AM »
Went to my mom's house for dinner yesterday.  She had ham, scalloped potatoes, asparagus, lentil something, and apple pie.  We brought roasted vegetables and a sweet potato casserole.  Good stuff.

CatamaranSailor

• Stubble
« Reply #29 on: December 26, 2017, 11:36:10 AM »
This year, we instituted two new family traditions: 1) Each family member was responsible for making 1 dish for Christmas Eve dinner. They got to choose anything they wanted but had to sample all dishes. 2) Each family member got to choose a movie and everyone else HAD to watch it (this will be over the course of the break...not all in one night).

Teenager Sailor made jalapeno poppers.....jalapenos, cream cheese and bacon dunked in breadcrumbs and fried. Holy Shnikee were they good!
Preteen Sailor made Snickerdoodle Chex mix...not exactly dinner...but also very tasty!
Momma Sailor made pizza...outstanding!
Daddy Sailor (me) made fajita's.

Conclusion...an odd combination for dinner...but really excellent!

Christmas Day...we have a huge clan so it was over the top....ham, prime rib, two dozen sides dishes, almost all of them covered in cheese...enough calories to feed many many small countries...

Noodle

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #30 on: December 26, 2017, 11:47:44 AM »
Christmas Eve: beef tenderloin

Christmas Breakfast: cinnamon rolls/monkey bread, bacon and fruit

Christmas lunch: snacky things from the fancy grocery story reheated and plated as the designated cook works a lot this time of year

Christmas dinner: fondue.

The last was a new idea and so well-liked that I think it may return in future. It was easy for the cooks (mostly just cutting up things) and everyone enjoyed standing around and lunging at the pot instead of yet another seated meal.

Sweets are pretty ubiquitous so we don't really plan desserts.

NoVa

• Stubble
« Reply #31 on: December 26, 2017, 01:28:22 PM »
Pork loin roast with fennel pollen
Leg of lamb (marinated in fresh herbs overnight) with Coleman's mint sauce (not jelly)
Roasted asparagus with olive oil and salt
Redskin potatoes
Pan seared mushrooms in olive oil
Raw vegetables with various dips/dressing

Dessert was baked apple, cored and stuffed with cinnamon, brown sugar and butter, served hot with vanilla ice cream

Jenny Wren

• Pencil Stache
  • Just another dharma bum
« Reply #32 on: December 26, 2017, 02:02:21 PM »

Christmas dinner: fondue.

The last was a new idea and so well-liked that I think it may return in future. It was easy for the cooks (mostly just cutting up things) and everyone enjoyed standing around and lunging at the pot instead of yet another seated meal.

This has been our New Year's Eve dinner since the year my MIL inexplicably gave me a fondue pot for Christmas. It's a family favorite, in part because we only do it once a year!

big_slacker

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #33 on: December 26, 2017, 02:13:09 PM »
We did a mini version of the traditional Polish Wigilia. It's supposed to be 12 meatless dishes (fish doesn't count as a meat somehow), we did a few less. On xmas eve, when the first star shows in the sky you kick it off by each person breaking off a piece of a special wafer (symbolizing breaking bread) and giving a personal wish for each other person at the dinner. Then it's time to eat!

There is always an empty chair and place setting symbolizing those that can't be there and for a person who might not have family to celebrate with.

Typical dishes are barszcz (beetroot soup), pierogi, fish, bread, various salads and slaws. We threw in some deserts as well. :)

Kids get to open presents after.
« Last Edit: December 26, 2017, 02:14:57 PM by big_slacker »

sparkytheop

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #34 on: December 28, 2017, 03:12:40 AM »
For the first time in my life, we did Christmas dinner on Christmas (instead of Christmas Eve).  My little brother drove down with his family on Christmas, and I got off work at 6 pm (shortly after they arrived), so in the end it worked out ok.

The Menu (everything homemade):

Prime rib
Ham (I cooked this while I was at work, then bundled the roaster up in towels so it would stay warm for the short drive)
Au gratin potatoes (my dad found a new recipe and tested it a few times to get it right)
Potato rolls (we "make" my mom do these for every big family meal)
"pink" salad and "green" salad (jello salads with cool whip and marshmallows-- 4H projects older siblings did years ago)
Vegetable tray
Pies (pumpkin, berry, and pecan)

Enough leftovers for everyone!

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!