Author Topic: Spending money is no longer fun  (Read 6219 times)

Lordy

• Stubble
Spending money is no longer fun
« on: April 03, 2015, 06:21:26 PM »
Hi all,

I have been following MMM for quite a while and have been successful on my path so far.
There is a good chunk of money in my account(s) and I feel like I am on the right trajectory.

On the other hand however, I noticed that spending money is no longer fun but actually hard.
I am planning a vacation now and although I know I have the money (spending about 2 weeks
of pay on it), I cringe a little bit when I book tickets or rooms.

Is this right? Shouldn't reaping the rewards be fun? Is anybody else feeling the same way?

Cheers, Lordy

steveo

• Handlebar Stache
Re: Spending money is no longer fun
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2015, 07:40:32 PM »
You have the right attitude.

Geldsnor

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2015, 05:01:16 AM »
Think you started to realize the real value of money, it represents your invested time and energy. It is hard to burn your money in two weeks, while it took you two months to get it.

Second thing is that spending money != having fun or 'reaping the rewards'. It simply does not work like that once you are able to unplug from the consumer mindset.

It is not easy to find a new balance.

Michread

• Stubble
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2015, 05:45:22 AM »
Obviously it still is fun or you would NOT be spending 2 weeks of your pay on vacation!  That's ridiculous!! 

You can still have fun on vacation and spend a LOT less no matter what your weekly salary.

Lordy

• Stubble
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2015, 05:56:26 AM »
Well, to give it a little context: I am going to Alaska, which is crazy expensive.
I have wanted to go there for a while now and decided to make it happen.
Due to schedule I need to go in a specific week which doesn't help reducing cost.

But I see this issue on other things then just vacation. I seem to be unable to enjoy
spending money. But on the other hand I don't want to have my eyes on net worth
all the time and not have a bit of fun while working towards FI.

Ricky

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2015, 08:21:50 AM »
This is why I don't necessarily agree with "spend your money on experiences, not things". There are some "things" way more valuable to me than traveling. A nice computer, a well designed house, etc...these "things" last and give me value over and over where an experience is gone except in your head. That's why I like to travel but think it's wasteful at the same time.

begood

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2015, 08:32:17 AM »
Well, to give it a little context: I am going to Alaska, which is crazy expensive.
I have wanted to go there for a while now and decided to make it happen.
Due to schedule I need to go in a specific week which doesn't help reducing cost.

But I see this issue on other things then just vacation. I seem to be unable to enjoy
spending money. But on the other hand I don't want to have my eyes on net worth
all the time and not have a bit of fun while working towards FI.

Remember to enjoy today - it's the only one you'll get! I have to remind myself of this too - it's easy to get caught up in the hunt for ways to save, but don't forget to lift your head and look around. An Alaska trip sounds awesome! How fortunate you are to be able to afford to go! You decided that's important, and you  made it happen. Be proud and have a wonderful time.

cjottawa

• Stubble
« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2015, 08:40:44 AM »
...I noticed that spending money is no longer fun but actually hard.
I am planning a vacation now and although I know I have the money (spending about 2 weeks

Is this right? Shouldn't reaping the rewards be fun? Is anybody else feeling the same way?

Cheers, Lordy

I have this issue as well.

I already have my savings on auto-pilot: an automatic transfer moves a set amount to my long term savings the day after every pay day.

I still find it difficult to spend the excess but I'm trying to make peace with it.

Case in point: I'd like a battery for a cordless tool but I own but I'm struggling to actually spend the money on it; I recognize that's kind of silly. I'm not buying Fabergé eggs.

TL;DR, if your savings are on autopilot and you're on track to meet your goals, try not to beat yourself up over well thought out spending. Being frugal isn't supposed to make you miserable.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2015, 08:04:10 AM by cjottawa »

Retired To Win

• Handlebar Stache
  • making the most of my time and my money
    • Retired To Win
« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2015, 09:12:03 AM »
Hi all,

I have been following MMM for quite a while and have been successful on my path so far.
There is a good chunk of money in my account(s) and I feel like I am on the right trajectory.

On the other hand however, I noticed that spending money is no longer fun but actually hard.

Cheers, Lordy

This is normal.  You are undergoing "frugalistic adaptation."  Congratulations.

Lordy

• Stubble
« Reply #9 on: April 04, 2015, 01:26:49 PM »
This is why I don't necessarily agree with "spend your money on experiences, not things". There are some "things" way more valuable to me than traveling. A nice computer, a well designed house, etc...these "things" last and give me value over and over where an experience is gone except in your head. That's why I like to travel but think it's wasteful at the same time.

Travel is my biggest hobby. I enjoy the memories of all the places I have been to and I find
that I also grow with traveling as it pushes me outside of my comfort zone. During my last
vacation I went ziplining although I am afraid of heights. It cost something like $150 but the
experience and memories were worth every cent to me.

Mr Dorothy Dollar

• Stubble
    • Dorothy Dollar
« Reply #10 on: April 04, 2015, 04:36:11 PM »
You could prepay for most things thus separating the worry and heartache from the actual experience. I like cruises because all the cost is a one time purchase. Then while on trip I just enjoy.

happy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #11 on: April 04, 2015, 04:50:11 PM »

I think  the concept of reaping your rewards from working so hard  is a bit of the consumer psychobabble. You  know, "coz you're worth it".

You can have fun along the way by finding free fun things to do.

retireatbirth

• Bristles
« Reply #12 on: April 05, 2015, 08:00:20 PM »
It's not fun anymore and that's a good thing. I will still go on a vacation because I will think about the time value of money and decide it is worth it to take a break. But, I stopped going out to $100 dinners because I decided that wasn't worth it. It's just about prioritizing what is important to you. You don't have to save every penny - just realize how valuable every cent is.

Bob W

• Magnum Stache
  • Live on minimum wage, earn on maximum
« Reply #13 on: April 05, 2015, 08:38:32 PM »
Why aren't you travel hacking?

Retired To Win

• Handlebar Stache
  • making the most of my time and my money
    • Retired To Win
« Reply #14 on: April 06, 2015, 07:07:55 PM »

Travel is my biggest hobby. I enjoy the memories of all the places I have been to and I find
that I also grow with traveling as it pushes me outside of my comfort zone. During my last
vacation I went ziplining although I am afraid of heights. It cost something like $150 but the
experience and memories were worth every cent to me.

You know, I could go ziplining 4 miles from my rental house.  I've been intrigued by it, but bucked back at the cost.  And yet, I don't think it's $150 where I am at -- and I would have no travel cost.

Thanks for getting me focused on getting this done.  I mean, this would be spending money TO have fun.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!