Author Topic: Solar Eclipse - August 21st Anyone planning a vacation for it?  (Read 18811 times)

Miss Piggy

• Handlebar Stache
Re: Solar Eclipse - August 21st Anyone planning a vacation for it?
« Reply #50 on: August 11, 2017, 01:17:33 PM »
My sister's house will get totality, but she's going on family vacation to FL.  WTF?

REALLY bad planning.

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #51 on: August 11, 2017, 01:23:36 PM »
My sister's house will get totality, but she's going on family vacation to FL.  WTF?

REALLY bad planning.

I guess she could rent out her house for a really good price.

haypug16

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #52 on: August 11, 2017, 01:42:55 PM »
I'll be on my honeymoon and in Seattle the day of the eclipse. So I'll see 93% I think. We are flying out that night otherwise I would totally drive down to Oregon to see totality.

dougules

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #53 on: August 11, 2017, 03:04:18 PM »

REALLY bad planning.

I guess she could rent out her house for a really good price.

I guess she just doesn't care.

I ought to mention how much she could rent it out for.  She's on the outskirts of Nashville, so I'm guessing that makes it extra popular since that's probably the most popular tourist spot in the path of totality. 

melanie2008

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #54 on: August 12, 2017, 05:47:18 AM »
I'm going to be camped on the AT hiking Standing Indian Mountain loop.

We plan to be very near by. Is it possible that the AT trail and the mountains will be crowded?

dreams_and_discoveries

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #55 on: August 12, 2017, 10:47:23 AM »
It sounds awesome, I still remember one in the UK, must have been about 20 years ago.....

MoStash

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #56 on: August 12, 2017, 11:07:43 AM »
My library got 1,000 pair of eclipse glasses to distribute. We have taken nothing but abuse because we limited them to one pair per person. Every teacher believed we should give them a class set, every person believed we should give them 6 or 8 for their family. Now that we have run out we are still receiving 15-20 phone calls per hour asking about them, and that number goes up daily. Our city will see only 80% obscuration. I am much less excited than I was a few months ago!

Bateaux

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #57 on: August 12, 2017, 12:30:38 PM »

We plan to be very near by. Is it possible that the AT trail and the mountains will be crowded?

It's going to be crowded.   The Smokies will be the worst.   I'm parking Saturday and hiking in 20 miles to my spot.  The roads will be full.

vivian

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #58 on: August 13, 2017, 05:14:09 AM »
I live in the path of totality. Several friends are coming to visit. This group gets together every summer, but we chose this weekend and my place specifically for the eclipse.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

HipGnosis

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #59 on: August 13, 2017, 11:47:38 AM »
I just got my glasses - from the museum (they have free street parking on Sundays).
The libraries will have some for free - but won't give them out until the 21st.

I'm in southern WI.  I will drive south the morning of the 21st.  I'll stop for an early lunch and then find a parking spot when the eclipse starts or the traffic gets on my nerves.  I figure I'll be in south-central iLL, for very near to totality.

dougules

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #60 on: August 14, 2017, 10:33:46 AM »

It's going to be crowded.   The Smokies will be the worst.   I'm parking Saturday and hiking in 20 miles to my spot.  The roads will be full.

The Smokies are a bad bet for the eclipse.  They're called the Smokies because all the humidity in the South in the summer goes up the mountains and condenses as fog and mist.  I spent a few days hiking there in the summer several years ago and never saw the sun once.  When I drove home, the minute I got out of the mountains it was clear as a bell. 

I'm planning to watch from the edge of the Cumberland Plateau.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2017, 10:38:07 AM by dougules »

jjandjab

• Stubble
« Reply #61 on: August 14, 2017, 11:12:27 AM »
Am I the only one that would be worried about planning a significant trip for this, to see something that is at its peak for about 2 minutes, when the weather is so unpredictable in the summer? I love science and astronomy very much, and will watch the partial eclipse from where I am, but I don't just don't really get the allure of going significantly out of my way to see totality. If you've got friends to stay with or other things to do, that's cool, but I'd hesitate travelling for hours based on something that could be ruined by something as simple a few big puffy clouds, never mind storms, on an otherwise nice day...

marielle

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #62 on: August 14, 2017, 11:23:31 AM »
Am I the only one that would be worried about planning a significant trip for this, to see something that is at its peak for about 2 minutes, when the weather is so unpredictable in the summer? I love science and astronomy very much, and will watch the partial eclipse from where I am, but I don't just don't really get the allure of going significantly out of my way to see totality. If you've got friends to stay with or other things to do, that's cool, but I'd hesitate travelling for hours based on something that could be ruined by something as simple a few big puffy clouds, never mind storms, on an otherwise nice day...

I'm worried too, which is why I'm deciding where to go a day or two in advance, from the Charlotte NC area.

partgypsy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #63 on: August 14, 2017, 11:50:43 AM »
I'm planning to see it. Going to Myrtle beach which is not in totality, but can drive 50 miles south to within totality. So we will take a day trip south for totality, but otherwise enjoy the amenities.
As far as the planning and cost, the only eclipse I've seen was a partial one when I was a kid, and there was a huge amount of excitement for that, and I remember at the time, someone saying that it wouldn't be for like another 50 years before another one. And thinking I would def try to catch it next time. Yes, the weather may spoil it but it is worth the attempt and I'm not spending thousands on a trip to view it.

CupcakeGuru

• Stubble
« Reply #64 on: August 14, 2017, 01:56:10 PM »
I'm in the 98% totality area. I am leaving work early and pulling my kids out of school. We are having a mini solar eclipse party with some friends in a park near us.

redbird

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #65 on: August 14, 2017, 01:56:34 PM »

That's why I decided to make it a hiking + camping trip. If I can't see the eclipse... well, I'll be disappointed, but I won't be driving hours to do *only* that. There are definitely people who seem to be driving hours just to see something that only lasts a few minutes. Not worth it to me.

HPstache

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #66 on: August 15, 2017, 10:50:55 AM »
Just a little heads up for anyone interested.  There are still campsites available (20X20 & 20X40) in Madras Oregon at the airport.  They opened up 1,500 spots in April and I just booked one today.  Madras is in the dead center of totality.  I paid about $160 for my 20X40 Spot (we are bringing a tent trailer).  Hope to see some of you there!

Iron Mike Sharpe

• Bristles
« Reply #67 on: August 15, 2017, 11:37:00 AM »
My house is just out of the totality band, totality at my office for 43 seconds.  I don't really care about it much at all though.

robartsd

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #68 on: August 15, 2017, 01:10:52 PM »
Just a little heads up for anyone interested.  There are still campsites available (20X20 & 20X40) in Madras Oregon at the airport.  They opened up 1,500 spots in April and I just booked one today.  Madras is in the dead center of totality.  I paid about $160 for my 20X40 Spot (we are bringing a tent trailer).  Hope to see some of you there!
Purchased Daytripper parking at Madras Airport last night! We'll be driving from Eugene on Sunday and heading out to Vancouver, WA after the eclipse! This will be my first total solar eclipse, but I'm already making plans to be in Texas in Monday 8 April 2024 (DW's sister is in the path). I don't know where the earlier poster got info, but Texas will see maximum eclispe about 1:30 pm. 2024 will have longer totality (3.5 minutes at DW's sister's place, but that's still quite a ways from the centerline), so I'm thinking of this eclipse as a preview.

For the person who thought making an eclipse part of a vacation - Austraila will get a nice long eclipse in 2028 - path goes right through Sydney, but other side of the continent gets the eclipse closer to midday. We'll see if we make plans to go there.

OurTown

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #69 on: August 15, 2017, 01:12:07 PM »
My son is driving to Missouri for the festivities.  I remember seeing a total eclipse as a kid during the early 1980s.  I looked at it through a welder's helmet.

PoutineLover

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #70 on: August 15, 2017, 01:19:43 PM »
Where I live we will get 58% coverage I think, should still be pretty cool. I'd love to see a full eclipse but I don't think I'd go too far out of my way for it, and this year it wasn't really possible by the time I found out about it. I did see the lunar eclipse last time that happened here, that was neat too.

robartsd

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #71 on: August 15, 2017, 01:35:33 PM »
I remember seeing a total eclipse as a kid during the early 1980s.  I looked at it through a welder's helmet.
Perhaps 26 Feb 1979?

At the time I think welder's glass was thought to be dark enough, but generaly that's not considered safe today.

liveitupoutdoors

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #72 on: August 15, 2017, 07:44:38 PM »
I plan to see the totality somewhere remote in Idaho on my way to Canada, since I'll be nearby anyhow.  Should be a unique experience!

Miss Piggy

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #73 on: August 16, 2017, 03:21:44 PM »
In my area (in the totality zone), they're scaring the hell out of people about the impending doom of traffic. They might as well call it carmageddon....saying it's going to take 6 hours to get somewhere that normally takes 20 minutes.

travelawyer

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #74 on: August 16, 2017, 03:40:00 PM »
FYI that if you have some spare eclipse glasses (because you bullied your local library into providing them) you can sell them on Ebay for a solid profit.

HPstache

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #75 on: August 16, 2017, 04:13:02 PM »
In my area (in the totality zone), they're scaring the hell out of people about the impending doom of traffic. They might as well call it carmageddon....saying it's going to take 6 hours to get somewhere that normally takes 20 minutes.

They said the same thing to us in NW Washington leading up to the Vancouver olympics... hardly noticed.

Miss Piggy

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #76 on: August 16, 2017, 04:20:46 PM »

They said the same thing to us in NW Washington leading up to the Vancouver olympics... hardly noticed.

Good. That's what I'm hoping.

fattest_foot

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #77 on: August 23, 2017, 12:01:01 PM »
Noticed that this hadn't be responded to since the eclipse.

We traveled from California to Illinois and would absolutely do it again in a heartbeat for that 2 minutes and 30 seconds of totality.

It's hard to even use words to describe it, but we'll definitely be attempting to see the one in 2024. We're also planning on telling as many people as possible so that they don't miss out!

JoJo

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #78 on: August 23, 2017, 12:11:12 PM »
There's another eclipse thread that folks are responding in the "off topic" section.

Much of the traffic hype was just hype, but we did hit some heavy traffic on the way back.  It was absolutely worth it to make the 1/2 day car trip to Oregon and camp a couple nights.  Really quite fun.  I got some great photos despite not having a proper camera or filters.  My makeshift filter of the lens of eclipse glasses worked good enough.

I wrote about the experience and put some of my photos at my blog...
https://thehotflashpacker.com/eclipse-2017/

Clever Name

• Stubble
« Reply #79 on: August 23, 2017, 12:30:31 PM »
Well, I got up at 4am and drove 2.5 hours to a trailhead that was already crowded when I got there, hiked ~8 miles to a perfect viewing spot with a forecast of clear blue skies, only to have a torrential rain roll in out of nowhere right before it started and last until it was over. I got a very brief glimpse (less than 10 seconds) of totality and the "diamond ring" when the clouds momentarily thinned around the sun.

Still worth it.

Miss Piggy

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #80 on: August 23, 2017, 04:14:16 PM »
We traveled about 45 minutes south to the center totality line. It was one of the most beautiful things I've ever experienced. I mean, I figured it would be a pretty cool thing to see, and I've been excited/planning for this for a couple of years, but damn, it far exceeded my expectations. I got 2 minutes and 36 seconds of totality and was in awe for all of it. I also enjoyed the partial eclipse time before and after the totality.

My biggest regret? Selling my extra glasses for $15 a piece. I am not at all proud of doing that and am debating whether I want to get in touch with the buyers again to refund most of that money. I got caught up in the idea of making a profit, but it was from other people's desperation, and that's not the spirit of the event.

Truly looking forward to the next total solar eclipse in the area in 2024. I joked with my manager today and asked her if it was too soon to request that day off. (We'll both be long retired by then if things go as planned.)

marielle

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #81 on: August 24, 2017, 06:07:24 AM »
We traveled about 45 minutes south to the center totality line. It was one of the most beautiful things I've ever experienced. I mean, I figured it would be a pretty cool thing to see, and I've been excited/planning for this for a couple of years, but damn, it far exceeded my expectations. I got 2 minutes and 36 seconds of totality and was in awe for all of it. I also enjoyed the partial eclipse time before and after the totality.

My biggest regret? Selling my extra glasses for $15 a piece. I am not at all proud of doing that and am debating whether I want to get in touch with the buyers again to refund most of that money. I got caught up in the idea of making a profit, but it was from other people's desperation, and that's not the spirit of the event.

Truly looking forward to the next total solar eclipse in the area in 2024. I joked with my manager today and asked her if it was too soon to request that day off. (We'll both be long retired by then if things go as planned.)

Don't kill yourself over how much you sold your glasses for. They are probably very happy to get them! $15 to see something that's so rare is a small price to pay and they probably spent a lot more on gas in their SUVs. ;)

I ended up driving over 3 hours each way to see it. I could have gone to an area that was closer, about an hour or so away, but we had a friend to stay with in the other city and the weather looked like it was better there. No regrets. We definitely panicked about the clouds leading up to it, but it was clear during totality!

Miss Piggy

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #82 on: August 24, 2017, 07:11:13 AM »

Don't kill yourself over how much you sold your glasses for. They are probably very happy to get them! $15 to see something that's so rare is a small price to pay and they probably spent a lot more on gas in their SUVs. ;)

I ended up driving over 3 hours each way to see it. I could have gone to an area that was closer, about an hour or so away, but we had a friend to stay with in the other city and the weather looked like it was better there. No regrets. We definitely panicked about the clouds leading up to it, but it was clear during totality!

I got in touch with one of my buyers last night and offered him all of his money back. He understood where I was coming from, but said he got a heck of a show for $15. He suggested donating the money to a charity, and since that idea was already in the back of my mind, I did exactly that with all my profit from the glasses, plus a bit more. I feel a lot better now.

RoadtotheMountains

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #83 on: August 24, 2017, 08:18:39 PM »
We stepped outside onto our patio to watch the eclipse. There were actually things to do in town last weekend. We'll be in the path of totality again for the 08 Apr 2024 eclipse too only next time it's supposed to be a lot longer.

BTDretire

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #84 on: August 24, 2017, 08:40:13 PM »
  I drove from Panama City Florida to make the viewing in White House Tennessee. Scoped it out as an easy off, easy on exit with a Walmart just off the exit. Also several restaurants within walking distance.
 We arrived two hours early to find the Walmart parking lot full of motor homes and tents with lots of telescopes setup. I drove towards the rear of the store and there it was, one rather large parallel
parking spot. I was a bit confused why it was open, but I took it.
 We walked to a Mexican restaurant and had a good meal. All the stafflooked to be Mexican and none had any eclipse glasses. One guy kept trying to look, he didn't find it easy! I had picked up two extra pair of eclipse glasses so I gave them to the one of the staff, so they kept trading the glasses back and forth.
 After lunch we went back to the car, put a blanket up over the
windshield, opened the sunroof, and adjusted our seats. We just happened to pick a local radio station that was playing eclipse music, anything to do with the sun or moon.
 We got out of the car shortly before totality, the temperature dropped, and at totality the crowd came to life with a loud owww!  Just as totality started ,the radio station played
"Dark side of the moon", by Pink Floyd. It was all very cool to watch, I think we had over two minutes of totality. I could see Mars and some pink areas in three
spots around the halo.
 We didn't watch long after totality, I had an easy exit from the Walmart parking lot, within 2 minutes I was on the highway again headed North to visit family in Michigan.
 The highway was running fine until, each highwayentrance had traffic entering so
it wasn't long and it was very slow. I'm traveling with my 25 year old daughter,  she has an app going, and told me you need to get off the highway up here and take the back roads it will be much faster. Then after 15 or 20 miles, she said, OK this will be getting slower, so you need to get back on the highway. After that we had about 10 minutes of slow traffic and we were clear of the jam up.
 We arrived in Michigan to my sisters house late Monday night. She's been without hot water for (to long) so Tuesday I replaced her water heater. But that is another story!

WYOGO

• Stubble
  • Great Basin
« Reply #85 on: August 24, 2017, 09:35:02 PM »
I traveled to Borah Peak located in the lost river range of southeastern Idaho stands as the highest peak in the state at over 12.5K feet. This peak is among the state high points of significance and my 10th state high point summited successfully. While not the hardest or most technical, 5200 feet of gain in 3.5 miles is not for the faint of heart. To summit this peak, the highest point anywhere in the country by GPS coordinates along the #solareclipse totality path, on what may prove to be a once in a lifetime event 8.21.2017, was one of the most memorable things done in my life to date. While one can view pictures online, and even experience a partial eclipse, nothing quite prepares you for the assault on your senses of being there. You cannot quite anticipate the true difference between 99% and 100%; you cannot fully prepare for the event horizon racing toward you at nearly two thousand miles an hour as you stare in wonder from the highest point in over two hundred miles.

Conceptually, one understands that it is cooler in the shade, but to experience a bone chilling 15-20 degree drop above 12K feet at the moment the wall of darkness hits, while staring at what appears to be a continuous 360 degree circle of otherworldly blazing twilight on the horizon, shatters ones expectations. To stare with the naked eye at the coronal emanations from behind the perfect eclipse for a 2:12 window, while hundreds of likeminded people with a passion for life gasp and celebrate triumphantly their brief glimpse into the heavens, reminds me of what it means to live...yes all the while laughing when we were at times eclipsed by bodies other than those celestial.

We were lucky, we were blessed. We were thousands of feet closer that day than any other humans; thousands of feet above a layer of smoke from Montana based wildfires; granted stunningly clear atmospheric conditions, a perfectly cloudless and windless day, a fortune ours, and not guaranteed any. I made some meaningful connections this 36 hours, and it was a powerful reminder to do what you love and savor your window of life...

Miss Piggy

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #86 on: August 25, 2017, 07:10:41 AM »
Nice, WYOGO. Sounds like a fantastic experience!

RethinkTheRatRace

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
    • Rethink The Rat Race
« Reply #87 on: August 25, 2017, 07:17:52 AM »
I live just outside St. Louis, and luckily, my work was in the totality spectrum. A couple of my friends were in town from Louisville completely by coincidence (they were looking at places to move to in our area). So, I blocked off a couple hours on my schedule, ordered a pizza and walked out about 30 minutes before it happened. Walked to the top of the parking garage and watched it there with my friends. Traffic was a nightmare of course though. And I had a harder time getting home on Sunday before the eclipse because all the flights were overbooked.

talltexan

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #88 on: August 25, 2017, 07:58:06 AM »
I cannot imagine anything more Mustachian than figuring out how to not need the Sun. Silly Consumer Suckas who need light and heat...

laserlady

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #89 on: August 25, 2017, 03:09:40 PM »
I watched the eclipse from the rim of an extinct volcano in Idaho, and it was amazing.  Totally worth putting up with a little bit of traffic and paying $35 to camp on a farmer's harvested hay field for the weekend.  Afterwards, everyone at all of the neighboring campsites was talking about how they now really want to go to the total eclipse in 2024.  Two minutes just isn't enough time to take in all of the amazing aspects of totality  -- the corona, the 360 degree sunset effect, the planets visible in daytime (I saw Mercury!), the ominous shadow of the event horizon, and everything else.  It exceeded my expectations for sure.

fattest_foot

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #90 on: August 25, 2017, 06:12:48 PM »
You cannot quite anticipate the true difference between 99% and 100%; you cannot fully prepare for the event horizon racing toward you at nearly two thousand miles an hour as you stare in wonder from the highest point in over two hundred miles.

I've been pretty disappointed this week hearing the amount of people saying they were unimpressed by the eclipse based on being in partial eclipse areas. Well no kidding! I'd be shocked if any of them were even able to tell it was an eclipse based on what I saw prior to C2 and after C3 with having eclipse glasses (which no one around here had).

I try to tell them that totality is incredible and that they should make every effort to see it in 2024. But they just say, "Well, this one sucked." It's really an all or nothing thing. Seeing a 99% eclipse doesn't check the box. That 1% of the sun is incredibly powerful.

I'd say there's actually a good parallel between this and the "why bother saving for retirement" people.

bobechs

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #91 on: August 25, 2017, 06:52:13 PM »
On Sunday before the appointed day I drove 310 miles north to the center stripe of the event in central Nebraska, just west of Grand Island.

No one I knew wanted to go along. I offered.

I knew the local geography from having been there as a harvest hand years before.  There was precisely  no apparent crowding on any of the highways and none in the towns that I could see.

I car camped in my station wagon on the BNSF right of way with no trouble except it was kind of stuffy in the car and noisy from the continuous round of coal trains hauling to and from all night long.

On the morning of, the roadside started to see some traffic in to set up for observation.  from what I saw of the revelers, it was pretty much a 100% white people's thing-- a lot like central Nebraska all the time to be honest.

I lit out for the sand hills north of town and set up in a sand quarry at the crest of a ridge with good high views of broad valley to the south.

Waited out the partial eclipse- I had seen that before and knew it would not be exciting-- at totality it was as if someone had turned down a dimmer switch to minimum and the various effects people have reported all over came on.  It was quite spectacular but not the most amazing scene I have ever seen.  Some airborne sights and typhoons at sea I've seen were more amazing, but it was very worth the drive. 

Then I got in the car and drove home.  There were no crowds, saw a few motor homes on the
 road, but nothing like something really significant to mankind, a University of Nebraska athletic contest for example, was or had occured

BTDretire

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #92 on: August 25, 2017, 08:53:22 PM »
You cannot quite anticipate the true difference between 99% and 100%; you cannot fully prepare for the event horizon racing toward you at nearly two thousand miles an hour as you stare in wonder from the highest point in over two hundred miles.

I've been pretty disappointed this week hearing the amount of people saying they were unimpressed by the eclipse based on being in partial eclipse areas. Well no kidding! I'd be shocked if any of them were even able to tell it was an eclipse based on what I saw prior to C2 and after C3 with having eclipse glasses (which no one around here had).

I try to tell them that totality is incredible and that they should make every effort to see it in 2024. But they just say, "Well, this one sucked." It's really an all or nothing thing. Seeing a 99% eclipse doesn't check the box. That 1% of the sun is incredibly powerful.

Exactly! 99% of totality is closer to 10% totality than it is to 100% totality.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!