Author Topic: Solar Eclipse - August 21st Anyone planning a vacation for it?  (Read 18815 times)

Goldielocks

• Walrus Stache
Hey,

Wondering if anyone here is planning to travel to see the solar eclipse this month?   I am debating.. I remember seeing one when I was a kid, but it may not be worth the effort to go see a 100% versus the 75% eclipse I will get at home...

Clever Name

• Stubble
Re: Solar Eclipse - August 21st Anyone planning a vacation for it?
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2017, 12:13:06 PM »
I'm lucky enough to be able to see 99% coverage from my house, so I'll probably just watch it at home.

GenXbiker

• Bristles
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2017, 12:48:45 PM »
I am taking days off most weeks this summer spreading out my PTO days, but I'm not taking any days off for this.  I would have to travel about 5 hours to get to totality - just not worth it to me.

marielle

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2017, 12:53:23 PM »
I'm lucky enough to be able to see 99% coverage from my house, so I'll probably just watch it at home.

Don't!! You will miss the awesomeness of seeing the sun's corona that you get only at 100%. I've never seen it, but I hear its worth it, and some people are traveling across countries to be in the path of totality. You're so close you might as well drive the hour to see it.

Otherwise, 99% isn't really much different than 80%...you will just see the sun get covered up.

Roland of Gilead

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2017, 12:55:16 PM »
For us it would be about a 8 hour drive, so 16 hours round trip.

At about 60mph and getting 20mpg, it would cost $144 just in gasoline, and that is if we did not stay overnight in the places which I am sure are already booked up.

$144/ 2min = $4300 an hour entertainment.

Too expensive.

marielle

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2017, 12:56:33 PM »

At about 60mph and getting 20mpg, it would cost $144 just in gasoline, and that is if we did not stay overnight in the places which I am sure are already booked up.

Too expensive.

What if you amortize it over a lifetime (if you only get to see it once)? Unless you're in the totality path of the 2024 eclipse...

Roland of Gilead

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2017, 01:01:28 PM »

Too expensive.

What if you amortize it over a lifetime (if you only get to see it once)? Unless you're in the totality path of the 2024 eclipse...

Well, it happens like once every 18 months somewhere on earth so there could be other chances to mix a nice vacation to someplace new along with seeing it.   Right now it would be a trip to southern Idaho or Oregon which we have been to a lot.  I might get a bit more excited if the trip was to Venice.

Optimiser

• Pencil Stache

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #8 on: August 09, 2017, 01:14:11 PM »
I considered traveling to the US last autumn and combine it with a summer vacation and seeing some national parcs). Then Trump was elected and made the trip unattractive. My DH is very sceptic to visiting the US at all. I had just been able to trigger him with fly fishing in Montana! Only 8 hours driving from a place with totallity. But Trump just made it worse. Of course I should have travelled to Svalbard last year, but I didn't find out about it until too late. And there is always the polar bear issue...

Yes, there is always a new eclipse, at leat in near future, but they are not always above land and if above land, not always in a "normal" country that you could travel too. The good thing about the US eclipse is that it crosses the whole continent. If the place where you planned to be has a wrong weather forecast, you can drive to another location. And it passed some places with a good sunny climate.
In the far future there will be no total eclpises, as the moon is slowly moving further away from Earth and getting smaller from our perspective and therefore not totally covering the sun. We will probably not live to see this.

fattest_foot

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #9 on: August 09, 2017, 02:54:23 PM »
We decided last minute (2 weeks ago) to go for it. The 2024 eclipse will be kind of late in the day; in Texas I think totality is almost 7pm in April.  That doesn't seem like a good time to view it.

My wife's family lives in the direct path of the center line, so we'll double dip and get a family visit in.

Honestly, this almost feels like a once in a lifetime chance. When you factor in time of day, time of year, weather, and location (how many of those 18 month periods are over the ocean?), I'm not sure how likely it is we'd see it again. And this is probably by far the "cheapest" option we'll ever have.

bognish

• Bristles
« Reply #10 on: August 09, 2017, 03:00:21 PM »
I am closest to the Idaho & Wyoming portion of the eclipse path. That part of the country doesn't really have roads or infrastructure designed for big numbers of people. Seems like it could be an epic traffic jam for an hour or two of "hey neat".

Goldielocks

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #11 on: August 09, 2017, 03:20:25 PM »
I am closest to the Idaho & Wyoming portion of the eclipse path. That part of the country doesn't really have roads or infrastructure designed for big numbers of people. Seems like it could be an epic traffic jam tailgate party for an hour or two of "hey neat".

Fixed.

KarefulKactus15

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #12 on: August 09, 2017, 03:31:28 PM »
I'm in the path of totality.

Greenville SC!   I'll probably just step outside at work for a few minutes.   Nothing super planned.

Miss Piggy

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #13 on: August 09, 2017, 03:38:21 PM »
I live in the totality zone, but I'm taking a vacation day to drive about 20 minutes south to be on the center line. I've been planning this for months...to the point of pretty much asking someone I know to host an event at their house on the center line. Super-excited about it!!!

Bobberth

• Bristles
« Reply #14 on: August 09, 2017, 03:39:00 PM »
We're in St. Louis and only about 45 minutes north of the path of totality but we're heading to SIU Carbondale in Southern Illinois to watch in their stadium. They are offering indoor camping at their rec center and NASA will have a good set up there. Not only will we be able to witness this eclipse, we'll be able to watch the next one from the same spot-AWESOMENESS! (also I figure that since NASA is going to be there and that anytime there is anything cool going on in the sky it is cloudy here, there will be videos from where it isn't cloudy). Totally worth the couple of hundred $ for my NASA obsessed daughter--and me as well.

Bateaux

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #15 on: August 09, 2017, 04:05:09 PM »
I'm going to be camped on the AT hiking Standing Indian Mountain loop.

BTDretire

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #16 on: August 09, 2017, 04:28:38 PM »
Planned a trip with my daughter to go from Fl. to Michigan to visit relatives.
We will stop at White House Tennessee for the eclipse.
I suspect the Walmart parking lot will be packed.

redbird

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #17 on: August 09, 2017, 04:41:32 PM »
DH and I are taking a road trip into the path of totality and then will be camping overnight. That way we can split the long drive up over 2 days - one way one day, one way the next. We'll be car camping (meaning using our Prius as a tent) at a campsite so it'll be a quite Mustachian trip.

Norsky

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #18 on: August 09, 2017, 04:58:09 PM »
My wife and I have been planning a long weekend at a HomeAway lake rental in southern Illinois in the area of max totality. Our sons, daughter-in-laws and first grandson will all be joining us. We are looking forward to a once in a lifetime experience (although uniquely there will be another total eclipse in the same area in 7 or 8 years.

felizcortez

• Stubble
« Reply #19 on: August 09, 2017, 05:00:48 PM »
Wife and I are flying to Boise then driving into the path of totality.  Super Excited about it, but I'm a nerd.

GenXbiker

• Bristles
« Reply #20 on: August 09, 2017, 05:12:21 PM »

Too expensive.
My 5 hour is one way to a more preferred spot in the middle of the totality zone, but if I drive out to the middle of no where, I could get to the edge of the totality range in 3 hours.   But it's a lot easier for me stay in town and settle for 95% where I live.  I don't get too excited about these things, regardless of how rare they are.

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #21 on: August 10, 2017, 01:13:40 AM »

Greenville SC!   I'll probably just step outside at work for a few minutes.   Nothing super planned.

Lucky you!

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #22 on: August 10, 2017, 01:18:04 AM »
I'm doing a long road trip/car camping from SoCal to Canada via the Eastern Sierras and Cascades so hope to time it so I can be somewhere (uncrowded!) to see it. Just not sure where that will be yet but somewhere remote-ish.

Just make sure you buy your eclipse glasses on time. I once was too late, during a partial eclipse and then you'll need to improvise with garbage bags or parts of floppy disks. Eclipse glasses are so much more convenient and safer.

h82goslw

• Stubble
« Reply #23 on: August 10, 2017, 05:26:30 AM »
I am closest to the Idaho & Wyoming portion of the eclipse path. That part of the country doesn't really have roads or infrastructure designed for big numbers of people. Seems like it could be an epic traffic jam tailgate party for an hour or two of "hey neat".

Fixed.

Well done!

Raenia

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #24 on: August 10, 2017, 05:32:18 AM »
My partner and I are making at 10+ hr drive (one way) to see it.  Fortunately we have friends who live in the totality zone, so we'll be staying for free.  Just the gas cost, a few bucks for the glasses (already bought), and two days off work!  Plus getting to see friends we don't see often enough.  I'm stoked.

jfer_rose

• CM*MW 2023 Attendees
  • Pencil Stache
« Reply #25 on: August 10, 2017, 06:20:02 AM »
I'm planning a trip to St. Louis to see the eclipse with my S.O. Parts of St. Louis are on the very outer edge of where the total eclipse will be visible, although we may decide to travel closer to the center of the path. Super excited! While I have booked a hotel, split between two people it won't be that expensive. Plus I booked it quite some time ago, so it wasn't overly expensive.

Megma

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #26 on: August 10, 2017, 07:14:20 AM »
My finance's parents are in the totality path so we are heading down to SC to watch it with them! The timing is horribly inconvenient for us but we're doing it anyway because it's a lifetime event :-)

It's about a 4 hour drive for us but we have a place to stay so that makes the travel plans easier!

merlin7676

• Stubble
« Reply #27 on: August 10, 2017, 07:15:23 AM »
In seattle so will see about 91.4% of it covered.
Bought glasses for my co-workers in my dept. (6 of us). We're going to wear our company t-shirts and watch it and get our picture taken for the company newsletter
« Last Edit: August 10, 2017, 08:16:43 AM by merlin7676 »

patchyfacialhair

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #28 on: August 10, 2017, 07:21:33 AM »
it's a 5 hour drive to totality for me....an that's with no traffic. Since it's on a Monday, I don't want to burn a day off to drive all day long. Maybe in the future I'll plan it better.

anonymouscow

• Stubble
« Reply #29 on: August 10, 2017, 07:32:33 AM »
I am closest to the Idaho & Wyoming portion of the eclipse path. That part of the country doesn't really have roads or infrastructure designed for big numbers of people. Seems like it could be an epic traffic jam for an hour or two of "hey neat".

They also said it could overload cell service, gas stations might run out of gas etc.

anonymouscow

• Stubble
« Reply #30 on: August 10, 2017, 07:44:54 AM »
I'll be driving, I don't mind the time / cost, it is something I want to see.

I found somewhere I wanted to go to anyway that is in the path, so hopefully win-win.

KarefulKactus15

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #31 on: August 10, 2017, 08:11:47 AM »

Lucky you!

I guess I am pretty lucky.   I actually have an empty house im remodeling in the path of totality and 8 miles from the exact middle of it.    I  considered seeing if anyone is interested in staying there but IDK if anyone would want to.    Its pretty gutted atm.   All it has is a toilet, sink and tub/shower combo.  Electric , hvac and water are all on though.    I wouldnt charge much.. Probably like 20$ to cover changing the lockset.

patchyfacialhair

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #32 on: August 10, 2017, 08:13:23 AM »
Assuming I haven't died or moved away, my city will be in totality in 2045! Sweet!

radram

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #33 on: August 10, 2017, 08:33:46 AM »
If you know anyone with a polarized welding mask, I used one to view an eclipse about 6 years ago. It worked great. I just needed to put in a new battery I already had in a drawer.

marielle

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #34 on: August 10, 2017, 08:37:39 AM »

Lucky you!

I guess I am pretty lucky.   I actually have an empty house im remodeling in the path of totality and 8 miles from the exact middle of it.    I  considered seeing if anyone is interested in staying there but IDK if anyone would want to.    Its pretty gutted atm.   All it has is a toilet, sink and tub/shower combo.  Electric , hvac and water are all on though.    I wouldnt charge much.. Probably like 20$ to cover changing the lockset.

That's a steal. I bet someone would be interested for a lot more. They would just need to bring a blow up mattress. Heck, I might even be interested but I'm not deciding where to go until the day before, and Columbia is closer to me depending on weather.

tralfamadorian

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #35 on: August 10, 2017, 08:55:01 AM »

I read about a lady on the west coast who is charging $1,500/couple to camp in her front field and is totally booked.  You should consider throwing it out there!

dude

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #36 on: August 10, 2017, 09:44:50 AM »
Started planning for this almost a year ago when I learned of it.  Will be in the Wind River Range in Wyoming, square in the path of totality (@2:30mins of darkness). Through a lot of research I found a beautiful, remote peak (@20miles from the trailhead) with an obscure, but reportedly good quality, technical climbing route on it. Plan is to get an alpine start and be on top ready to experience and film the event.  I leave next week -- can't wait!

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #37 on: August 10, 2017, 02:08:49 PM »
I'm doing a long road trip/car camping from SoCal to Canada via the Eastern Sierras and Cascades so hope to time it so I can be somewhere (uncrowded!) to see it. Just not sure where that will be yet but somewhere remote-ish.

Just make sure you buy your eclipse glasses on time. I once was too late, during a partial eclipse and then you'll need to improvise with garbage bags or parts of floppy disks. Eclipse glasses are so much more convenient and safer.
I do have them already. I've also got a telescope with a solar filter. If you're going to geek out, geek out all the way ;-). Had them for years and use to have a camera I could mount on the telescope for a bit of astrophotography but lost that and never replaced it. I use to belong to a local amateur astronomy club so do tend to get geekish about this stuff.

I am also an amateure astronomer. :-) I just need to get through a period of abstinence each summer. I do watch the sun sometimes through my filter.

Clever Name

• Stubble
« Reply #38 on: August 10, 2017, 02:18:58 PM »

Don't!! You will miss the awesomeness of seeing the sun's corona that you get only at 100%. I've never seen it, but I hear its worth it, and some people are traveling across countries to be in the path of totality. You're so close you might as well drive the hour to see it.

Otherwise, 99% isn't really much different than 80%...you will just see the sun get covered up.

Okay, you convinced me.

laserlady

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #39 on: August 10, 2017, 04:08:03 PM »
I'm going up to Idaho to see it.  I know traffic will be a nightmare, but it's something I really want to see, and I don't know that it'll ever be this convenient for me again (in terms of timing, work flexibility, and so forth).

Chase S.

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #40 on: August 10, 2017, 05:27:56 PM »
I intend to propose to my girlfriend during the eclipse.  My family is in the 100% zone, so we are driving down there.

Channel-Z

• Stubble
« Reply #41 on: August 10, 2017, 05:36:05 PM »
No vacation, but my TV station has to do extra on-air coverage, since we're so close to the path of totality. Hopefully it's not cloudy that day.

Roland of Gilead

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #42 on: August 10, 2017, 05:49:58 PM »
For those coming to eastern Oregon and western Idaho, how is the air quality?

We are in north eastern Washington and every day has been sunny except it looks like the sun through a San Francisco fog because of all of the wildfire smoke from Canada.   I hope it does not shift that far south because it would somewhat dampen the experience.

eostache

• Stubble
« Reply #43 on: August 10, 2017, 06:35:31 PM »
We are driving from western CO to central WY to see it. We have an option to camp at someone's place in Riverton, or we may go to some public lands in the Wind River Mtns. I got a new job recently and I immediately asked for the 21st & 22nd off for this event. Driving up there on Saturday to beat the traffic. Driving home on Tuesday.

John123

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #44 on: August 11, 2017, 06:54:03 AM »
I'm going!  Took off the entire week.  Traveling from DC to my Dad's place in Asheville, NC. Will drive an hour south (somewhere around Greenville, SC) on the 21st to get into the totality zone. 

Waited too long to order glasses and couldn't find any reasonably priced, but finally scored 4 pairs at Lowe's of all places.  $1.98 each.

John

travelawyer

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #45 on: August 11, 2017, 10:30:57 AM »
I'm flying to St Louis to see it, but I wanted to visit there anyway so two birds.  Got my airbnb for a good price because #advanceplanning, I'm just glad I didn't rent my car from Hertz. :/

Goldielocks

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #46 on: August 11, 2017, 10:33:59 AM »
I intend to propose to my girlfriend during the eclipse.  My family is in the 100% zone, so we are driving down there.

That will be awesome.   Good luck!

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #47 on: August 11, 2017, 10:42:46 AM »
For those coming to eastern Oregon and western Idaho, how is the air quality?

We are in north eastern Washington and every day has been sunny except it looks like the sun through a San Francisco fog because of all of the wildfire smoke from Canada.   I hope it does not shift that far south because it would somewhat dampen the experience.

Currently? God awful. I live in the Valley (over the cascades, so more west), and the haze is thick enough you can stare at the sun without sunglasses, lol. Over east it's even worse, depending on where you are (bend, bad. Really far east, supposed to be okay). Supposedly it'll be improving some this weekend though? It'll all depend on the wildfires though, and what happens with them.

dougules

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #48 on: August 11, 2017, 11:07:15 AM »
I'm only 100 miles from totality, so it's just a day trip for me. 

My sister's house will get totality, but she's going on family vacation to FL.  WTF?

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #49 on: August 11, 2017, 11:21:15 AM »
Not going, but a friend is. It's been fun helping them plan. Their daughter lives very close to the line in Oregon, but getting there is gonna be a bitch and they can't leave any earlier than they are. So far, they're renting a Prius, in case gas is hard to find. They'll be carrying camping supplies + extra water just in case they can't get there easily. They're not really hard-core campers, but they have enough gear to make it do-able. Close enough for me, sigh. Maybe next time.