Author Topic: Society's obsession with mobile phones  (Read 38217 times)

EricP

• Bristles
Re: Society's obsession with mobile phones
« Reply #50 on: August 03, 2015, 03:47:27 PM »
@BobW

Sure, we got to places eventually and would usually arrive at places at the same time, but there were definitely times when having a smart phone (or even just a cell phone) would have made life a lot easier.

It's not about us being "dumber," it's generally about giving us more flexibility.  Person A doesn't show up at the meeting place by the desired time.  That's okay, just text them to say that we've already headed to the next location to get reservations and you should meet us there instead.

You don't need to look up directions to a place, you can save yourself the 10 minutes and just go.  Smart Phones are great.  Definitely not a necessity and another one of those "Is it worth the money to you" type of choices, but to think that they are making us dumber or less social is stupid.  No longer will people think that glass is a slow-moving liquid as they can look it up on their smart phone.

hybrid

• Handlebar Stache
  • A hybrid of MMM and thoughtful consumer.
« Reply #51 on: August 03, 2015, 03:57:07 PM »
Given my moniker is hybrid, of course I'm going to give a hybrid answer. My workplace credits us $100 every two years toward the purchase of a new smart phone, and they credit us $40 a month toward data for that smart phone. So I recently purchased an iPhone 4S from gazelle.com for $149. It is my first IOS smart phone, and I have to admit that after having used it for three months now I really appreciate how handy it has become. I absolutely love the speech to text feature. I never used to use the text feature on my phone  very much as it was slow and clunky, but now I have found it incredibly handy to keep up with appointments, friends, coworkers, and family when a quick (spoken) text does the job better than a quick phone call. Also very handy for dashing off a quick email. I do need to keep my work email at the handy, so my smart phone has been a boon to me. I don't tend to load a lot of games or social apps on my smart phone, because I use it as a tool first and foremost.

I do share a lot of other people's frustration with folks that cannot put the damn smart phone down in social situations.

I also have an iPad, and I used the speech to text feature on it to Jot off this post. So much faster than typing, but there are the occasional typos here and there. Still, quite the handy timesaver.

RangerOne

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #52 on: August 03, 2015, 04:21:28 PM »
  Phones have basically replaced computers for internet access. Having google in your pocket I think is invaluable. Those who hate it and long for a simpler time when people couldn't internet search their bullshit claims are living in the past.

That being said a lot of bad time wasting can come with having a computer in your pocket. I really don't need to sit on the shitter each day and burn a half hour listening to TED talks or listening to political rants...

I lived without a smart phone for a long time up until just 2 years ago. While I think you can easily live today without one, that point is largely irrelevant. This is because in an average group of people or family. At least one person will have a smart phone. So you will be able to reap all the benefits of on the go internet and gps while not having to own a phone yourself.

A phone can really suffice as your only personal computer at this point. School and work will typically provide laptop access if needed.

BrandonP

• Stubble
« Reply #53 on: August 03, 2015, 04:23:07 PM »
I get ridiculed for having a cell phone that does no texting or internet, just calling. I always tell people "Why should I pay 5$ more per month on texting when I can still communicate with people verbally on my phone?"...I get answers like "But it's only 5$ per month" in which I reply "well if you are interested in losing 5$ a month, drive on the highway once a month, open your window and let your 5$ fly away, afterall it's only 5$ like you said.". I understand 5$ is not alot of money, but why spend it on something that you can do verbally?

Why have a phone at all?  Why not use a pay phone when you need a phone? Why not use a telegraph?  Smoke signals?

At any given time in history, there has been a mode of communication that has generally been accepted as the preferred mainstream method based on availability, price, and practicality.  Right now the smartphone is filling that spot.

Some how I can't imagine my mom (rest her soul)  paying $140 a month to surf the web at the beauty shop.  Surfing the web,  playing games and messing with apps is not communication.  I dare say that neither is Facebook.    I also don't consider my kids calling me repeatedly for directions during their drive to be good communication.  It is poor communication since I already told them the directions.

Its funny,  I don't know how it worked but back in college and for 45 years of my life but we never missed a party,  everyone showed up where they were to meet when they said they were, everyone could drive across town or across the country without directions,  everyone could look out the window and predict the weather, we all pretty much knew what was up with everyone else,  bad news traveled almost instantly.

I guess the real question is "when did we become so dumb that we needed a smart phone as a crutch?"

(does anyone still call them "mobile" phones?  Is that regional?  I don't recall hearing that in conversation in a long time.  It usually isn't even cell phone (sometimes it is) but just cell or phone.  Again, this could be my misperception.  At my office today I recall someone saying your "phone" is ringing.)

A few years ago I went abroad to study for several months. I was a cheap student and didn't get a phone. I can honestly say in that 8 month period there was one time it would have been useful. And that was meeting up with people at a bar at a certain time.

FrugalShrew

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #54 on: August 03, 2015, 04:42:53 PM »
One issue has come up with my flip phone. Some text messages dont get received if sent by a smart phone. I havent sorted out why, but I miss texts from smart phones quite often.

Are they group texts? One of my friends with a flip phone warns everybody that it doesn't receive group texts (i.e., text messages sent to multiple people at the same time), which have become pretty common among smart phone users. 

RunHappy

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #55 on: August 03, 2015, 05:01:07 PM »
I upgrade my phone every year or two, have unlimited data, text and calling, however it costs me $0.  My company pays the bill and insists I have updated technology (I work for a tech company).  If it was me paying the bill, I would have a cheap smartphone, with voice/text but only wifi connectivity.

It amazes me how defensive people are about their phones.  I have one friend who is not allowed to have her phone turned on at work, turns it off at night when she is asleep and her and her husband turn it off on Sunday (family day).  I calculated that she has her phone on MAYBE 50-55 hours a week, but pays for unlimited everything on it.  I tried to point out that it is costing her almost $3.50/hour of usage (1/5 of her hourly rate), but she insists she needs it for her commute in case anything happens.  I've tried and tried to point out the problems with her logic, but finally gave up.

I'm a red panda

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #56 on: August 03, 2015, 05:22:44 PM »

To be honest we were to stupid/lazy to figure out how to work our phone on wifi in the one hotspot with poor power on the resort.  We did give it a half hearted attempt and then said "fuck it, who do we need to talk to?"     We did see dozens of people in that area glued to their phones sucking up band with though.

Ah, I did have someone I needed to talk to. I needed to know what time the boat was going to come pick me up to go scuba diving, since it changed each day depending on when the cruisers got there.

We had in room wifi though.  No resort- budget digs.

Bob W

• Magnum Stache
  • Live on minimum wage, earn on maximum
« Reply #57 on: August 03, 2015, 06:31:31 PM »
Some how I can't imagine my mom (rest her soul)  paying $140 a month to surf the web at the beauty shop.  Surfing the web,  playing games and messing with apps is not communication.  I dare say that neither is Facebook.    I also don't consider my kids calling me repeatedly for directions during their drive to be good communication.  It is poor communication since I already told them the directions.

Its funny,  I don't know how it worked but back in college and for 45 years of my life but we never missed a party,  everyone showed up where they were to meet when they said they were, everyone could drive across town or across the country without directions,  everyone could look out the window and predict the weather, we all pretty much knew what was up with everyone else,  bad news traveled almost instantly.

If anyone is paying $140/mo they are just dumb.  My ST plan is around $48/mo with all taxes.

And yeah, people were able to drive across county because they had to do ridiculous things like drive to AAA and get a TripTik that the travel agent had to carefully plan out.  Hope they didn't plan on getting sidetracked and the agent had all the latest construction info. Google Maps does this for me instantly on the fly to wherever I want to go and reads me all of the street names of where to turn.  There is no distraction of reading of a map.   BTW, why would your kids call you for directions if they have a smartphone?   Don't confuse not knowing how to use the smartphone with smartphones being useless..
that is funny as hell I remember mom thought Triptiks were the greatest thing ever.  She was just as excited as all get.   Alas she was map impaired as well.    I'm so happy with my $10 cell plan,  I forget people are still obsessed with smart phones.        But really does anyone still refer to them as mobile phones in normal conversations?     

Debts_of_Despair

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #58 on: August 03, 2015, 06:50:49 PM »
US = cell phone
Europe = mobile

Heather in Ottawa

• Stubble
« Reply #59 on: August 03, 2015, 07:31:19 PM »
Also, a smartphone helps you fit in with your friends and co-workers. Once talk about the best restaurants in town and places to fly to on vacation dies out, the next best topic of conversation is to pull out your iPhone, compare features, talk data plans. Anyone who doesn't have a smart phone  to brag about really has a hard time staying awake.

simmias

• Stubble
« Reply #60 on: August 03, 2015, 08:00:47 PM »
If only they knew what that $140 a month would compound to in just 20 years.  So yeah,  insecurity and neediness comes to mind.
Nice!  You can tell the future?  Who wins the SuperBowl the next 20 years while you're at it?

BrandonP

• Stubble
« Reply #61 on: August 03, 2015, 09:26:06 PM »
Also, a smartphone helps you fit in with your friends and co-workers. Once talk about the best restaurants in town and places to fly to on vacation dies out, the next best topic of conversation is to pull out your iPhone, compare features, talk data plans. Anyone who doesn't have a smart phone  to brag about really has a hard time staying awake.

Not too sure if serious or not.

LouLou

• Bristles
« Reply #62 on: August 03, 2015, 11:38:15 PM »
My obsession with my phone is just the updated version of my obsession with reading.  90% of the time, I'm reading blogs through the feedly app (including MMM), reading a book through the kindle app while I'm waiting in line, etc.  I used to lug around books in her purse and reading on the train - this is better for my back.

I need a smartphone for work too, but my employer will buy smartphones for attorneys who don't have them and reimburses for data plans. I respect that.  I also like that I can answer quick emails without having to go to a computer, go to the office, or check my voicemails.

Frankly, I don't miss the pre-smartphone days.  I have an unfortunate inability to remember scheduled meetings.  My phone reminds me that I have a meeting or phone call or deadline.  My paper planner never did that.  I missed some important things and beating myself up mentally never changed that.  Now, my assistant adds it to my calendar and BAM, I haven't missed a single thing.

Heather in Ottawa

• Stubble
« Reply #63 on: August 04, 2015, 05:10:16 AM »

Not too sure if serious or not.
Entirely. Having a smart phone is very important if you care about fitting in. I can see it being a bit component of the push to get one/upgrade. I'm astounded by how much my coworkers talk phones... It's probably 20% of the conversations. Zzzzz...

golden1

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #64 on: August 04, 2015, 05:36:00 AM »
Don't confuse not knowing how to use the smartphone with smartphones being useless..

+1

I'm old enough to remember people saying that home computers and the internet were useless too. 

P.S.  Look at all the things that smartphones replace - camcorder, point and shoot cameras, calculators, encyclopedias, gps, books, handheld game player, music player....and the vast majority of that stuff doesn't require a data plan.  Smartphones are a bargain, even the more expensive ones. 

Bardo

• Stubble
« Reply #65 on: August 04, 2015, 05:36:42 AM »

If anyone is paying $140/mo they are just dumb.  My ST plan is around $48/mo with all taxes.

And yeah, people were able to drive across county because they had to do ridiculous things like drive to AAA and get a TripTik that the travel agent had to carefully plan out.  Hope they didn't plan on getting sidetracked and the agent had all the latest construction info. Google Maps does this for me instantly on the fly to wherever I want to go and reads me all of the street names of where to turn.  There is no distraction of reading of a map.   BTW, why would your kids call you for directions if they have a smartphone?   Don't confuse not knowing how to use the smartphone with smartphones being useless..
that is funny as hell I remember mom thought Triptiks were the greatest thing ever.  She was just as excited as all get.   Alas she was map impaired as well.    I'm so happy with my $10 cell plan,  I forget people are still obsessed with smart phones.        But really does anyone still refer to them as mobile phones in normal conversations?   

I think that at this point most people just call them "phones".  "Smartphone" is one of those expressions that one reads but would never hear used in everyday conversation.  If someone said "Where is my 'Smartphone'?" it would sound pretty strange and awkward. 

I doubt it's the case around here, but does anyone still have a home landline?

RetiredAt63

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #66 on: August 04, 2015, 06:12:01 AM »
You (generic you) don't have to have a data plan.  I recently upgraded to a Nexus 5 (so no it wasn't the absolute latest) and I am appreciating the nice camera, the nice calendar (that syncs with my tablet), the specialty apps I have downloaded (G String, and my DD teases me about that app name, it's a tuner).  No data plan, I do fine without it.  I used to travel with a laptop, my last trip I was fine with my tablet and my phone.

And landlines - my (older) circle of friends is still mostly land-line based.  Fido gives a second number for $10, my "land-line" is a regular phone plugged into a phone router with a Fido phone chip  Bell is not making any money off of me, I have way better home phone service for way less money.

TL:DR - make technology work for you, pick what you need, and ignore (and don't pay for) the rest.

Don't confuse not knowing how to use the smartphone with smartphones being useless..

+1

I'm old enough to remember people saying that home computers and the internet were useless too. 

P.S.  Look at all the things that smartphones replace - camcorder, point and shoot cameras, calculators, encyclopedias, gps, books, handheld game player, music player....and the vast majority of that stuff doesn't require a data plan.  Smartphones are a bargain, even the more expensive ones.

justajane

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #67 on: August 04, 2015, 06:40:27 AM »

I do. I am 37. But I recognize that I am a rarefied creature.

MrsPete

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #68 on: August 04, 2015, 07:16:43 AM »
Ditto.  I've only had a smart phone for a short period of time, but it's faaaaaaar from a need.  I'm able to stand in line without an electronic toy to keep my mind occupied.  I'm able to figure up the tip at a restaurant without an app.  I'm able to live without being tethered to my friends and family on a constant basis.

There is no rule that states that if you own new technology that it has to take over your life.

Most people don't really "need" more than a basic phone. I grew up in an era when people only had land lines, and even answering machine were rare, and have no interest in returning to an era when the only place you could use your phone was your living room.
No, no rule exists ... but everywhere I go, people are staring at their phones.  This technology has taken over people's lives.  It's a cultural obsession, and we all need REAL human interaction more than we need the ability to check the internet in the grocery store line.  When I go to a restaurant, I frequently see people sitting together, all staring at their phones.  When I started teaching, the halls were loud as kids filed out of school, talking with friends -- now the kids leave the school with their heads bowed in silence.  Bowed because they're all checking their phones as they leave. 

For an extreme example of phones-taking-over-our-lives, the teenager across the street from me killed a man on a motorcycle as she was driving to school one day ... yes, she was texting and driving, she pulled out of a fast food restaurant and didn't even see him because her attention was on the phone.  When phones become "necessary" every minute of every day, this type of thing happens! 

MrsPete

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #69 on: August 04, 2015, 07:32:24 AM »
  Phones have basically replaced computers for internet access. Having google in your pocket I think is invaluable. Those who hate it and long for a simpler time when people couldn't internet search their bullshit claims are living in the past.
Disagree.  If you say, A smart phone is occasionally convenient -- yes, I'll agree with that. 

For example, we were at Target the other day and my daughter wanted to buy a movie, but the price seemed high.  It was convenient that she was able to google the price at Best Buy.  But invaluable?  No.  Similarly, I found some scrub tops at GoodWill recently and was able to snap a picture and send it to my daughter to ask whether she wanted them.  Absolutely convenient, but not invaluable.  I do like mobile coupons because they're convenient and don't get crumpled in my purse, but they're not invaluable.

A plain phone will allow you to call someone and verify meeting times, etc. 

The thing is, all too many people are allowing this convenience to become the center of their lives.  I saw a TV commercial yesterday -- not sure what they were selling, actually -- that said your SmartPhone is the first thing you look at in the morning and the last thing you look at every night.  Huh?  Yet, yes, many of my students ARE that attached to their phones.  Have you seen those facts about how many times a day the average person checks his or her phone?  And about how teens' sleep is disturbed by waking to check their phones multiple times during the night?  For many people, it's not a convenience -- it's an obsession. 

The other thing is the cost.  I suspect people on this board can easily afford whatever phones they have, but a whole lot of people in our society can't -- yet they're paying for the snazziest, newest phone anyway.  Consumerism at its finest. 

I'm a red panda

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #70 on: August 04, 2015, 07:33:49 AM »

We do not because the least expensive we can get one is almost $50 a month.  Which is ridiculous.

But the company has a monopoly, so the only way to go cheaper is to bundle with cable or satellite.  Which is what most people who have them do.  But we don't have either of those services.

Bob W

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #71 on: August 04, 2015, 07:39:11 AM »
Ditto.  I've only had a smart phone for a short period of time, but it's faaaaaaar from a need.  I'm able to stand in line without an electronic toy to keep my mind occupied.  I'm able to figure up the tip at a restaurant without an app.  I'm able to live without being tethered to my friends and family on a constant basis.

There is no rule that states that if you own new technology that it has to take over your life.

Most people don't really "need" more than a basic phone. I grew up in an era when people only had land lines, and even answering machine were rare, and have no interest in returning to an era when the only place you could use your phone was your living room.
No, no rule exists ... but everywhere I go, people are staring at their phones.  This technology has taken over people's lives.  It's a cultural obsession, and we all need REAL human interaction more than we need the ability to check the internet in the grocery store line.  When I go to a restaurant, I frequently see people sitting together, all staring at their phones.  When I started teaching, the halls were loud as kids filed out of school, talking with friends -- now the kids leave the school with their heads bowed in silence.  Bowed because they're all checking their phones as they leave.  Not an extreme example as phone wrecks happen extremely frequently.   Obsession is a good characterization.    Personal experience is one daughter head injured and one nephew paralized in phone caused wrecks.

For an extreme example of phones-taking-over-our-lives, the teenager across the street from me killed a man on a motorcycle as she was driving to school one day ... yes, she was texting and driving, she pulled out of a fast food restaurant and didn't even see him because her attention was on the phone.  When phones become "necessary" every minute of every day, this type of thing happens!

MustachianAccountant

• Bristles
« Reply #72 on: August 04, 2015, 07:48:51 AM »
One of the main reason I hang on to my LG flip phone is I carry it in my pocket whether I'm in slacks or in jeans knee deep in "lord knows what." I've seen this thing take a pounding no smart phone could handle. And i phones don't fold down half the size of a wallet.

Ditto.
But a fast second is price: paid less than ten bucks a month most of this year. My friend paid more than that in two weeks...why? Mine takes (poor) pics, texts, has an email feature I've never used....I use it to....wait for it...

Call people.  ;-0

Nope. I have a smartphone, and I only pay $10 a month for my plan too. What you pay for your plan has nothing to do with what kind of phone you have.

hdatontodo

• Bristles
« Reply #73 on: August 04, 2015, 08:11:21 AM »
I love having a smartphone. Twice yesterday, I had my kid in a store and they didn't have the size / color of the item (shoes, raincoat) in stock. I pulled out my phone and ordered it from Amazon, using some of the $500 in gift cards I earned with my Southwest CC. I normally will buy local if I select local, but since it was OOS, I let my fingers do the walking.

thurston howell iv

• Bristles
« Reply #74 on: August 04, 2015, 08:50:53 AM »
Interesting topic.

I "upgraded to smartphones with the guidance of IPDAILY a few years ago. I ended up with a couple of galaxyII's using airvoice.
Recently "upgraded" DW's phone to a galaxyIII and now we're using Puretalk.  The cool part is that they sent me two brand new flip phones as part of the deal!

If you need/want/love the flip phones,  Puretalk might be an option.

BTW, neither of us use data; just wifi... If we need internet, we can stop in the nearest mcdonalds parking lot and get it free!

Gone Fishing

• Magnum Stache
  • So Close went fishing on April 1, 2016
    • Journal
« Reply #75 on: August 04, 2015, 08:59:53 AM »
I frequently have to apologize to people when I return their call 3 days later, because I look at my phone so rarely...

tooqk4u22

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #76 on: August 04, 2015, 09:04:06 AM »
Anyway, I think mobile phones as a whole have been a pretty wondrous boon for society. I remember in college, wearing clunky cargo pants, with my flip-phone, my camera, and my MP3 player each taking up space in a pocket, literally wishing the day to come when I could combine these all in one non-clunky device. Now that I think of it, my wallet was in the 4th pocket... I'm not really craving that being folded into the phone, but it's coming too, and I'm more or less ok with it. I already use it for that periodically. Don't get me started on the usefulness of a GPS, something that never would have made it into a pocket by itself.

I think this is a really good point - all the devices in one.  I am not a techie/gadget guy and never had or wanted latest or greatest....I switched to a smart phone about two years ago ($100 for the phone, which for most of you means a piece of crap). The GPS element alone is worth it. 

I do hate the monthly cost of the plans though, even the cheap plans.

mathlete

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #77 on: August 04, 2015, 09:19:25 AM »
Being able to access the Internet anywhere is invaluable IMO. I would feel pretty handicapped if I went back to a dumb phone.

Years ago iPhones were the only viable smart phones and they cost $650+. A few years later Android became viable but you still had to spent $650 to get a good one.

Today you can get a decent Android phone for under $300 so that's something I guess.

bacchi

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #78 on: August 04, 2015, 09:27:34 AM »
I love having a smartphone. Twice yesterday, I had my kid in a store and they didn't have the size / color of the item (shoes, raincoat) in stock. I pulled out my phone and ordered it from Amazon, using some of the $500 in gift cards I earned with my Southwest CC. I normally will buy local if I select local, but since it was OOS, I let my fingers do the walking.

?? You couldn't wait to order those things at home? It was that urgent?

C'mon, a (smart) phone can be very convenient but not everything has to be done immediately.

norcalmike

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #79 on: August 04, 2015, 09:34:21 AM »
I love my Note 3.
It is my phone, camera, forum browser, craigslist checker for buying and selling, GPS, music player, movie watcher and I love having the googles at my fingertips. Embrace the technology

Bob W

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #80 on: August 04, 2015, 09:40:22 AM »

C'mon, a (smart) phone can be very convenient but not everything has to be done immediately.

Yep,  Smart phones make the user feel smart and fast.    Don't get me wrong.  I have and like my smart phone.  It however is not a need but a cool toy.   

My comment a few posts above didn't come through regarding extreme examples of cell phones.    The writer suggested his neighbor teen killed a motorcyclist while using her phone.   Unfortunately this is not extreme -- It is pretty much a rule that teens and young adults on cell phones (hands free included) cause many tragic deaths per day.   My personal experience is one teen daughter head injured and one nephew paralyzed from cell phone usage.   So it is far more than an obsession.   It is a very dangerous and deadly obsession.   

I assume all readers here are smart enough not to use phones while driving.   I would also encourage you to somehow ban your teenage drivers from using them in the car. 

mathlete

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #81 on: August 04, 2015, 09:41:06 AM »

Let me just pull out my note pad and pencil so that I can jot down the SKU real quick so I can Google it later. =D

golden1

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #82 on: August 04, 2015, 09:43:29 AM »
Meh, I am not really understanding the anti-smartphone rhetoric.  If we used this type of logic for other stuff, we'd still be banging rocks together for fire.

Technology almost always solves some problems and creates other problems that people can't foresee.  The smartphone surely has created problems, but it also solves a lot of other ones.  I would call it a net win for human society.  In many places where land line internet isn't feasible, people are able to gain access to the internet on mobile phones allowing to contact people and conduct business.   

EricP

• Bristles
« Reply #83 on: August 04, 2015, 09:43:52 AM »

No, no rule exists ... but everywhere I go, people are staring at their phones.  This technology has taken over people's lives.  It's a cultural obsession, and we all need REAL human interaction more than we need the ability to check the internet in the grocery store line.  When I go to a restaurant, I frequently see people sitting together, all staring at their phones.  When I started teaching, the halls were loud as kids filed out of school, talking with friends -- now the kids leave the school with their heads bowed in silence.  Bowed because they're all checking their phones as they leave. 

You're correct, texting and driving is dangerous, that's why it's illegal in most places. 

But we're not going to turn into a generation of degenerates because of phones.  Sure, we "need" human interaction, but most people are getting enough of that anyways.  Checking my phone while in line for the super market instead of being subjected to pointless small talk from the person behind me in line is not going to kill me.  Smart phones definitely aren't necessary and I applaud those who go without them, but calling those with them anti-social or equating everyone to some irresponsible teenager who killed a guy riding a death machine is silly.

mathlete

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #84 on: August 04, 2015, 09:45:31 AM »
90% of social gatherings I go to are planned over Facebook, Facebook Chat, or GChat (Hangouts now I guess).

I'll say that if I didn't have a smart phone, I 'd probably miss out on a lot of socializing.

hdatontodo

• Bristles
« Reply #85 on: August 04, 2015, 10:05:20 AM »

Amazon has a gtd delivery date if you make the order by a certain time of day. Time was of the essence due to his upcoming travel.

Also. I read the Amazon product reviews in store in both cases and already had the item on screen.

Bardo

• Stubble
« Reply #86 on: August 04, 2015, 10:32:15 AM »

Of course not, but there's no harm in it either.  Why should anyone object at someone wanting to order immediately? 

BrandonP

• Stubble
« Reply #87 on: August 04, 2015, 10:33:37 AM »
90% of social gatherings I go to are planned over Facebook, Facebook Chat, or GChat (Hangouts now I guess).

I'll say that if I didn't have a smart phone, I 'd probably miss out on a lot of socializing.

You don't have a computer?

Bardo

• Stubble
« Reply #88 on: August 04, 2015, 10:36:21 AM »
Disagree.  If you say, A smart phone is occasionally convenient -- yes, I'll agree with that. 

For example, we were at Target the other day and my daughter wanted to buy a movie, but the price seemed high.  It was convenient that she was able to google the price at Best Buy.  But invaluable?  No.  Similarly, I found some scrub tops at GoodWill recently and was able to snap a picture and send it to my daughter to ask whether she wanted them.  Absolutely convenient, but not invaluable.  I do like mobile coupons because they're convenient and don't get crumpled in my purse, but they're not invaluable.

A plain phone will allow you to call someone and verify meeting times, etc. 

The thing is, all too many people are allowing this convenience to become the center of their lives.  I saw a TV commercial yesterday -- not sure what they were selling, actually -- that said your SmartPhone is the first thing you look at in the morning and the last thing you look at every night.  Huh?  Yet, yes, many of my students ARE that attached to their phones.  Have you seen those facts about how many times a day the average person checks his or her phone?  And about how teens' sleep is disturbed by waking to check their phones multiple times during the night?  For many people, it's not a convenience -- it's an obsession. 

The other thing is the cost.  I suspect people on this board can easily afford whatever phones they have, but a whole lot of people in our society can't -- yet they're paying for the snazziest, newest phone anyway.  Consumerism at its finest.

Well, my phone is certainly the first thing I look at in the morning.  So what of it?  Why should that bother you?  Who is being harmed? 

Phones are just tools, like cars.  They make life easier.  Being anti-technology for moralistic reasons rarely succeeds in the long run.

BrandonP

• Stubble
« Reply #89 on: August 04, 2015, 10:47:30 AM »
Meh, I am not really understanding the anti-smartphone rhetoric.  If we used this type of logic for other stuff, we'd still be banging rocks together for fire.

Technology almost always solves some problems and creates other problems that people can't foresee.  The smartphone surely has created problems, but it also solves a lot of other ones.  I would call it a net win for human society.  In many places where land line internet isn't feasible, people are able to gain access to the internet on mobile phones allowing to contact people and conduct business.   

My original post was stating the shock of someone who couldn't believe that I did not have a smart phone at the time.

I can understand their uses and how they can be very convenient. My point was how people are so shell-shocked that someone does not have the latest smartphone. And that it only costs $600 to get one! As stated later in the thread. I got one for free, and I'm not impressed, and I am thinking about going back to my old one. That does not mean I think everyone should just give up on smartphones. It is more the judging and bewilderment that I didn't have one in this day and age. 

Jersey Brett

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
  • No matter where you go...there you are.
« Reply #90 on: August 04, 2015, 10:50:25 AM »

I tell teenagers  -- "you know how to tell if an incoming call is unimportant?"   The say "no."   I say "its coming to you." 

Hahahahaha!

AZDude

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #91 on: August 04, 2015, 10:51:58 AM »
This thread reminds me of trying to convince someone that they did not really "need" data, outside of wifi, that it was just something they wanted. They adamantly refused this idea, claiming that unlimited 4G data was essential to their lives. I pointed out that I did not have data, they countered by saying that I could surf the internet on my work computer, while they could not. Seriously, one of those "pulling your hair out in frustration" moments.

Blonde Lawyer

• Pencil Stache
    • My Student Loan Refi Story
« Reply #92 on: August 04, 2015, 12:09:41 PM »
My phone is the last thing I see at night and first thing I see in the morning because it is my alarm clock. 

justajane

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #93 on: August 04, 2015, 01:28:54 PM »
I have to say that some of you -- the OP, MrsPete, and Bob, among others -- are really speaking my language. I've pontificated about smartphones before and even started a thread entitled Dumb phone users unite! (http://forum.mrmoneymustache.com/welcome-to-the-forum/dumb-phone-users-unite!/msg396033/#msg396033), so I'll refrain rehashing my thoughts again. But I am glad to be reminded that I am not the only person who doesn't have one. Like the OP, people really do react strangely when I say I don't have one. The main response I get is a defensive explanation of why they need one. I try really hard to be normal about it when I tell them that the number I am giving them is my home phone, but the strange reactions can get old sometimes. I've tried to deflect by saying "yeah, I know, I know, I'm a weirdo and a Luddite", even though I'm not really, but now I just state things plainly and move on.

Now we just need I.P. Daley on here. He always has great things to say about technology.

bacchi

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #94 on: August 04, 2015, 01:49:57 PM »
Of course not, but there's no harm in it either.  Why should anyone object at someone wanting to order immediately?

There's no harm in it but there's also a lot of rationalization going on in this thread to support LTE data plans and smart phones. I feel like it's a Yahoo! article about FIRE ("But who wants to eat beans and rice the rest of their lives?!!" or "I need an 8 seat SUV because I once took 5 people to dinner.")

Yeah, it's useful but some of the "conveniences" are created as an afterthought (aka, rationalizations).

Bob W

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #95 on: August 04, 2015, 01:53:05 PM »

I tell teenagers  -- "you know how to tell if an incoming call is unimportant?"   The say "no."   I say "its coming to you." 

Hahahahaha!

Glad you liked that one.   I've actually used that many times.   I find it freaking hilarious,  ironic, and sad at the same time.   The teens never think it is funny for some reason?   

Back to the original topic --- "obsession."      Sure I'll relent that when I first got the smart phone I thought what a wonderful device,  flashlight,  calculator,  internet tool, alarm clock,   game board, phone,  storage device etc..  All of that is very true.   I think it is the obsession thing that irks me.

I guess I've reached an epiphany point with my phone.  I can take it or leave it.  It is a tool that has some quirky uses.   I do love playing Duolingo with my son on it.  But I mostly do that on the tab.     

And for some odd reason it just outright bugs me when I see 500 pound women tooling around WalMart in their electric shopping carts with a $700 phone glued to their heads.  Who are they talking to?   It has to be the most uninteresting conversation ever.  Do I want to be in the same category as them?    No way

Chris22

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #96 on: August 04, 2015, 03:18:57 PM »

I'm 33, I have one as well.  Because:

A) it's cheap ($20/mo for unlimited long distance added to my cable/internet bill)
B) I like having a number I can give out for various things that can't be used to bug me (store loyalty cards, pizza delivery, etc etc etc)
C) I have a small child, and if I have someone over at the house to watch her, I don't want to have to depend on their phone working if there's an emergency, they can call 911 from my home line
D) If I need to be on a long phone call for whatever reason (work conf. call, make a long call to customer service, etc) I'd rather do it over my land line so I don't kill my phone battery and use up minutes, etc.

justajane

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #97 on: August 04, 2015, 03:27:21 PM »

I'm 33, I have one as well.  Because:

A) it's cheap ($20/mo for unlimited long distance added to my cable/internet bill)
B) I like having a number I can give out for various things that can't be used to bug me (store loyalty cards, pizza delivery, etc etc etc)
C) I have a small child, and if I have someone over at the house to watch her, I don't want to have to depend on their phone working if there's an emergency, they can call 911 from my home line
D) If I need to be on a long phone call for whatever reason (work conf. call, make a long call to customer service, etc) I'd rather do it over my land line so I don't kill my phone battery and use up minutes, etc.

Your reasons are very similar to mine. We have our landline through Charter at the moment so we don't get a phone in the event of a power outage. That's the main downside to a cable phone, but I believe the rate was better than AT&T.

My husband works from home two days a week and often has conference calls that last for hours and hours. The landline is awesome for that.

We even have a corded phone attached to the wall in the kitchen. No joke. But it's mostly for the kids and emergencies or if I can't find the cordless ones.

MoonShadow

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #98 on: August 04, 2015, 03:31:04 PM »

We even have a corded phone attached to the wall in the kitchen. No joke. But it's mostly for the kids and emergencies or if I can't find the cordless ones.

I have one of those that hang on the kitchen wall.  The kids play with it.  That's the only thing it's still good for though.

I do actually have a home phone line, but it's a VOIP line.  I'm not even sure if this house is still wired for a POTS landline.

Chris22

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #99 on: August 04, 2015, 04:04:23 PM »

I have one of those that hang on the kitchen wall.  The kids play with it.  That's the only thing it's still good for though.

I do actually have a home phone line, but it's a VOIP line.  I'm not even sure if this house is still wired for a POTS landline.

At some point a PO of my house ran POTS lines all over, presumably because they ran a home office out of the guest room (3 or 4 lines up there).  Only reason I haven't ripped everything out is because they drilled through the wood baseboards to run lines (doh!)