Author Topic: So I saw a hypermiler today...  (Read 2459 times)

MilesTeg

• Handlebar Stache
So I saw a hypermiler today...
« on: February 22, 2019, 06:00:19 PM »
I'll start by saying I am fully on board with optimizing ones use of fuel both for financial reasons and for environmental reasons.

But some hypermilers are just plain not thinking it though (or just selfish).

Anyway, what I saw today was a Prius with several mods for efficiency (small rear views, removed antenna, some body mods) that was turning left and came to a stop about three car lengths before the stop line in the turn lane.

At the same time 3 other cars wanting to turn left tied to get in the turn lane, but the last two could not.

This was an intersection where the green arrow for the left happens at the end of the green to proceed straight.

This caused several other cars wanting to proceed straight to get stuck in the lane, so to save an entirely insignificant amount of fuel/battery power, this guy caused a half dozen other cars to sit idling instead of being able to proceed.

Don't do this, or other similar things hypermilers...

BuildingFrugalHabits

• Bristles
  • Living the dream
Re: So I saw a hypermiler today...
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2019, 10:04:32 AM »
That's crazy that they actually replaced the mirrors and took off the antenna.  What benefit does stopping short of the line offer?  I thought hypermiling was about trying to drive more efficiently and brake less frequently. 

MilesTeg

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2019, 11:18:39 AM »
That's crazy that they actually replaced the mirrors and took off the antenna.  What benefit does stopping short of the line offer?  I thought hypermiling was about trying to drive more efficiently and brake less frequently. 

I assume they were coasting to a stop and trying to prevent the engine from running while they waited or something. I'm not familiar with the drive train specifics if how a Prius decides when and when not to run its engine.

Or it's possible the person was not trying to save gas in that instance and is just an asshole and/or terrible driver.

bacchi

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2019, 12:23:40 PM »
One of the mpg killers is getting up to speed. If the hypermiler can sloooowwwwlly accelerate under battery power, or stay within the next mode ("eco" I think), then the "power" mode can be avoided.

If a light's red, I'll coast to the light. It always baffles me that there are cars still accelerating to a recently turned red light only to brake hard when they get close. However, it is annoying when hybrid owners in traffic don't want to accelerate faster than the full dump truck next to them. Traffic backs up behind them and some cars miss the light, causing further traffic delays and more idling.

Just Joe

• Walrus Stache
  • Teach me something.
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2019, 12:32:46 PM »
Who worries about saving gas money in 2019 with $2 gasoline?

I save alot more gasoline just by staying home more. And ebiking more.

Less fuel and less pollution is a good thing but not at the expense of safety or tying up traffic (going slow on highways for example).

MilesTeg

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2019, 12:40:46 PM »
One of the mpg killers is getting up to speed. If the hypermiler can sloooowwwwlly accelerate under battery power, or stay within the next mode ("eco" I think), then the "power" mode can be avoided.

If a light's red, I'll coast to the light. It always baffles me that there are cars still accelerating to a recently turned red light only to brake hard when they get close. However, it is annoying when hybrid owners in traffic don't want to accelerate faster than the full dump truck next to them. Traffic backs up behind them and some cars miss the light, causing further traffic delays and more idling.

The worst is when someone tries to merge into a freeway without first accelerating to match speed with the roadway. Wastes more than it saves (by causing traffic disruptions) and is pretty dangerous.

bacchi

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2019, 12:53:32 PM »
The worst is when someone tries to merge into a freeway without first accelerating to match speed with the roadway. Wastes more than it saves (by causing traffic disruptions) and is pretty dangerous.

Ha! I'm always saying "Merge at speed! Merge at speed!" when I see this happen. Spouse rolls eyes and mutters, "They can't hear you."

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!