Author Topic: Small victories  (Read 3664 times)

stachestache

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Small victories
« on: September 21, 2017, 06:38:18 PM »
I just decided to cook macaroni noodles with butter and some garlic-chili paste for dinner instead of walking to Jimmy Johns for a sub.

A little background.. I work 7 days on and (usually) have 7 days off. Nights. Today (Thursday) is my first day off after the 80 hour work week and I am pretty beat. Ideally, and it usually happens, I cook 3 large meals a day or two before my work week with leftover food to bring to work with me that week. I have one of those meals left in the fridge but didn't feel like eating it and Jimmy Johns is close by. Anyway, rather than walking over and grabbing a sandwich for $7, I am eating good ole noodles 'n butter. No thought required in this recipe, just substance in my belly.

Also, I would have gone to Jimmy Johns alone, no big deal, but no social pressure or reasoning to do. I am staying with a friend this weekend and we will most likely go out to eat once or twice.. maybe three times over the weekend so this also plays in to my victory for tonight.

Do you have any recent small victory?

SC93

• Pencil Stache
Re: Small victories
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2017, 09:40:56 PM »
I love noodles and butter. :)

stachestache

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2017, 06:15:05 AM »
I love noodles and butter. :)

lol glad I am not alone

gggggg

• Bristles
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2017, 08:19:07 AM »
Awesome! I make spaghetti aglio e olio all the time, which is basically....noodles with a fat (in this case olive oil). Eating cheap doesn't have to be un-flavorful. Everyone picks on beans and rice as being the "get out of debt food", but it's actually one of my favorite dishes (which I'll probably have for lunch today).

startingsmall

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2017, 07:11:30 PM »
One of my favorite meals that my stepmom made when I was growing up was cooked shells with melted butter and parmesan cheese (not fancy parmesan cheese, just the powdered Kraft stuff off the shelf).

I would probably still eat it on a regular basis, but unfortunately my husband doesn't consider it "real food." Sigh.

HipGnosis

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2017, 09:55:45 AM »
Congrats on your victory!!

I use to buy cream of chicken Cup-a-Soup and use it for a (flavored) thickener in many dishes.  But it's gotten hard to find (maybe because I'm shopping at Aldi's etc., now).
I recently bought a box of Aldi mac-n-cheese.  I don't eat boxed mac-n-cheese.  I got it to have a small box of pasta and a packet of cheese powder that I'm using as a thickener in dishes.

Can you share the recipe (or general amounts) of macaroni with butter and garlic-chili paste??  When I make mac-n-cheese, I add hot sauce, so this sounds quite interesting.

stachestache

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2017, 02:50:25 PM »
Can you share the recipe (or general amounts) of macaroni with butter and garlic-chili paste??  When I make mac-n-cheese, I add hot sauce, so this sounds quite interesting.

Half a cup of macaroni noodles, cooked, about half a tablespoon of butter and very little, maybe a teaspoon or less, chili garlic sauce. The chili garlic sauce is made by Huy Fong Foods, Inc and usually found near the Sriracha at the grocery store. It is a smallish container (8 oz) with a green cap. 

Rosy

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2017, 03:20:18 PM »
Pasta and butter is a good thing:) yum ... and lends itself to adding a thousand different flavors and add-ons. My favorite is scrambled eggs with noodles and butter.

stachestache

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2017, 06:59:33 PM »
Rosy - I will be trying the scrambled egg version

terran

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #9 on: October 23, 2017, 07:09:06 PM »
Pasta and butter is a good thing:) yum ... and lends itself to adding a thousand different flavors and add-ons. My favorite is scrambled eggs with noodles and butter.

I never would have thought of that. Do you mix them together? Do you cook separately and then mix, or do you add the cooked noodles to the eggs while they're being cooked?

Free Spirit

• Stubble
  • Be water, my friend.
« Reply #10 on: October 23, 2017, 07:25:23 PM »
Cacio e pepe is one of my favorite comfort foods and I always have the ingredients on hand. :)

Pasta + butter + Pecorino Romano (or Parmesan if you're a heathen) + black pepper =

Simply delicious

anisotropy

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #11 on: October 23, 2017, 07:28:05 PM »
For future references:

1. grab a package of instant ramen noodles, boil water
2. cook ramen noodles in boiling water, put the lid on, for exactly 3 minutes
3. drain noodle, place noodle in bowl and sprinkle 7 drops of truffle oil half a tea spoon of spicy oil, mix for 10 seconds
4. add the flavor package, pour new boiling water into the bowl, until water is at the same level as the noodle
5. mix for 5 seconds, wait for 115 seconds, uncovered
6. finish the bowl of ramen within 5 mins for best result

inline five

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #12 on: October 23, 2017, 09:27:55 PM »
I moved away from eating pasta especially Ramen...look up the sodium content of those things!!

I lost 50 lbs when I started eating healthy. We will have pasta sometimes but it’s around 45g of wheat pasta (typical serving is 56g) and add in 4 oz grilled chicken with 85g broccoli and some roasted mini tomatoes.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!