Author Topic: Sleeping on futon, floor or hammock  (Read 4582 times)

yorkville

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Sleeping on futon, floor or hammock
« on: May 11, 2019, 08:58:35 PM »
I am questioning the value of a bed/box/mattress, the standard modern Western way of sleeping for the night.  In other parts of the world, its common to sleep on bamboo mats (SE Asia), futon (Japan), hammock (Brazil). I also remebmer sleeping on floor for a month during a home rennovation. Of course, when camping, I slept on a thin pad or inflatable pad.

Based on my google search, there seems to be no pronounced benefits or harms to any of these sleeping arrangments comparing to bed/box/mattress.  Most of the supposed benefits of mattress are from studies commissioned by mattress companies.

A bed takes up a full room. Without compelling benefits, coupled with the high cost and difficulty in moving, as well as potential sanitary issues such as bed mites etc, I am ready to give up my bed.

Any thoughts?

MonkeyJenga

• Walrus Stache
Re: Sleeping on futon, floor or hammock
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2019, 10:23:28 PM »
Try it, then get rid of your bed if you like it?

yakamashii

• Stubble
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2019, 12:18:52 AM »
I've slept on a Japanese futon for most of my adult life, and highly recommend it. Much better support for the back, way cheaper than a bed, and, in my opinion, less work to maintain (sheets are easy to pull off and wash, easy to make, etc.).

But maintain you must. Futon attract dust mites just like a mattress, and can get moldy very quickly if not aired out. We air ours out on a rack every day, so it's not a huge space saver over a bed.

NorthernMonkey

• Stubble
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2019, 01:59:56 AM »
In colder climates, raising your bed higher off the floor means its warmer.

BookLoverL

• Bristles
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2019, 02:09:24 AM »
I have been sleeping on the floor (on a camping mat in the winter and on a sheet in the summer) for about a year and a half now. After the first couple of weeks, the quality of sleep was just as good as I'd ever got in a bed, and my room feels more spacious. Plus, if I visit other people's houses or go camping, I never get a bad quality of sleep when I go there due to mattress quality or whatever. So it's definitely worth a try, if you're thinking about it.

Keep your bed available until you get used to the floor sleeping completely, just in case you decide you want to go back.

I should note that I'm generally very fit, exercise regularly, healthy BMI, no past joint pain issues or anything. So I don't know if it'd be as advisable for someone overweight or someone with pain issues.

former player

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2019, 03:03:42 AM »
In colder climates, raising your bed higher off the floor means its warmer.

This.  Also, there is the danger of condensation gathering under whatever you are sleeping on - beds are raised off the ground partly to avoid cold and draughts but also to allow for air circulation around them and for moisture to escape  (body heat and breathing while asleep inevitably create moisture).  Depending on the climate where you are, any bedding on the floor will need to be aired out daily as yakamashii suggests.  Although it's good practice generally to air a bed and bedroom out each day in any case, even without sleeping on the floor.

Retiring gaijin

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2019, 04:36:04 AM »
Another Japanese dweller, futon sleeper here. I like the futon a lot, although it's all just very much down to personal preference. You just need to see what suits you. I've got a hammock, too that I often use for naps when the weather suits!

Lulee

• Bristles
  • "We'll jump off that bridge when we come to it."
« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2019, 12:12:48 PM »
Had a futon/couch combo when I was younger, before I injured my back   It was OK to sleep on but the mattress wore out because I was using it as a couch too and so if I wanted to use it all the time for sleeping and sitting on, I'd have had to have replaced the mattress fairly frequently.  While sturdy, the frame was not in my opinion wasn't designed for sleeping constantly --- think of a pallet made out of 2" x 4" boards with gaps of nearly 2" in between which you could kind of feel through the mattress when it was in a single layer.

If I were younger, I might be tempted to get something similar if I was living in a small space.  One hesitation, at least in my current one and a few other apartments I've had which have/had sporadic issues with mice infestations, I'd be a bit more wary being so close to the floor in those situations.  On the other hand, in this apartment it would put me further away from the bat that gets in every summer. :)

John Galt incarnate!

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2019, 12:31:29 PM »
I am questioning the value of a bed/box/mattress, the standard modern Western way of sleeping for the night.  In other parts of the world, its common to sleep on bamboo mats (SE Asia), futon (Japan), hammock (Brazil). I also remebmer sleeping on floor for a month during a home rennovation. Of course, when camping, I slept on a thin pad or inflatable pad.

Based on my google search, there seems to be no pronounced benefits or harms to any of these sleeping arrangments comparing to bed/box/mattress.  Most of the supposed benefits of mattress are from studies commissioned by mattress companies.

A bed takes up a full room. Without compelling benefits, coupled with the high cost and difficulty in moving, as well as potential sanitary issues such as bed mites etc, I am ready to give up my bed.

Any thoughts?

I have a hammock in my bedroom that I sleep in every night.

Sleeping in  my hammock is more restful than sleeping on a bed/futon/air mattress/ etc.

I recommend a hammock.

AMandM

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #9 on: May 12, 2019, 02:03:22 PM »
My two teenage sons have given up standard beds in favor of hammocks. It's been several months and they have no regrets. Definitely a space saver, whihc was one of their motives.
My teenage daughter slept on the (carpeted) floor for several months, but now wants to go back to a mattress. In her case, it's also to save space, because the mattress will go on a loft bed and she can use the space below it.

RedmondStash

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #10 on: May 12, 2019, 02:08:30 PM »
Personal preference. I've never been able to sleep on a floor, or even on a thin mattress. Some people can, and even prefer it.

Just don't be penny-wise and pound-foolish by creating health issues for yourself by using bedding that's bad for you. You only get one body.

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #11 on: May 12, 2019, 02:27:59 PM »
I am of the opinion that spring mattresses cause more health problems than they solve, and that they both the default and worst sleeping option for the majority of people.

Sleeping on the floor is much better for my back than a spring mattress.  Sleeping on a futon with no springs or hard foam is a close second.  If you're sleeping on a futon directly on the floor in a hot climate, be sure that you lift the futon up regularly . . . your sweat will go through the futon and if left wet under the mattress where there's no air movement it will cause mold.

Never tried a hammock.

partgypsy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #12 on: May 12, 2019, 04:58:00 PM »
When I was growing up I had the same mattress since early childhood. By the time I was in HS the bed was lumpy and uncomfortable so sometimes I would sleep on the floor (on a rug); it was more comfortable. Throughout college and the first 2 years out of college I slept on a futon. However when my boyfriend and I moved in together we got a regular mattress and box spring.

Now that I'm older (early 50's), I definitely appreciate a cushy bed. My preference is a cushioned but firm bed. I tried and don't like memory foam. 

I love hammocks and taking naps on them, but I don't know if I could deal with sleeping in them overnight since I like moving around.

Ikea has a futon with a foam core. That's what my older daughter sleeps on. I still think some kind of frame is a good idea, so I'm not sure if in the end it is really all that much different.if I was you, once your mattress wears out try out some futon styles. The ones filled with batting can be rolled or folded up if you want to reduce space, but the ones with foam cores can only be kind of bent. Many futon frames convert to a sofa which is really nice in a studio apartment situation.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2019, 05:01:32 PM by partgypsy »

JTColton

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #13 on: May 12, 2019, 09:54:56 PM »
Love sleeping in my hammock. Been using an ENO Single Nest for about 9 years now and taken it all over the world with me, packs down like a grapefruit. You sleep much cooler due to the airflow underneath you, could be a pro or con depending on how hot you sleep.

daffodil2001

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #14 on: May 13, 2019, 05:23:01 AM »
I had a futon that was uncomfortable due to a worn out mattress. I put an inflatable camping pad on top of the mattress and it felt great. The camping pad was a higher end one that I picked up cheap from an REI garage sale.

SecondEngineer

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #15 on: May 13, 2019, 11:23:39 AM »
I moved into a new apartment about a year ago. At the time I had a 3 inch thick foam mattress topper for a twin bed. I decided to just sleep on that until I knew exactly what kind of bed I wanted.

I guess it's a classic mustachian move to push back a purchase indefinitely and that's what I've done! The pad takes up less space than a bed would and I haven't had any issues with comfort. Definitely worth a try so you never have to worry about moving mattresses and assembling bed frames.

soccerluvof4

• Walrus Stache
  • Retired at 50
    • My Journal
« Reply #16 on: May 13, 2019, 02:53:43 PM »
I am of the opinion that if you wake up and feel rested and have no aches and pains then whatever your sleeping on is right for you. I don.t believe its a one size fits all. I have had many of good nights sleep on a fold down couch like futon. I think equally if perhaps more important is your surroundings from temperature, noise, light etc.... So try different things

BDWW

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #17 on: May 13, 2019, 03:07:14 PM »
Had a futon/couch combo when I was younger, before I injured my back   It was OK to sleep on but the mattress wore out because I was using it as a couch too and so if I wanted to use it all the time for sleeping and sitting on, I'd have had to have replaced the mattress fairly frequently.  While sturdy, the frame was not in my opinion wasn't designed for sleeping constantly --- think of a pallet made out of 2" x 4" boards with gaps of nearly 2" in between which you could kind of feel through the mattress when it was in a single layer.

If I were younger, I might be tempted to get something similar if I was living in a small space.  One hesitation, at least in my current one and a few other apartments I've had which have/had sporadic issues with mice infestations, I'd be a bit more wary being so close to the floor in those situations.  On the other hand, in this apartment it would put me further away from the bat that gets in every summer. :)
I had a futon that was uncomfortable due to a worn out mattress. I put an inflatable camping pad on top of the mattress and it felt great. The camping pad was a higher end one that I picked up cheap from an REI garage sale.

It should be noted that there is a significant difference between a real/Japanese futon and what American's refer to as futons. It sounds like these are in reference the American version.

YourMother

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #18 on: May 18, 2019, 01:05:36 PM »
I have slept on a Japanese futon or a comforter folded in half on the floor for most of my life. I like that I can fold it up and put it away, leaving plenty of room for other activities in the same space. Getting up from the floor every day helps maintain mobility as you age. I find it more comfortable than sleeping on a mattress.

ElleFiji

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #19 on: May 18, 2019, 04:44:35 PM »
I have a bed. About half the time I sleep on the floor, on a yoga mat or blanket. I always have. Having a bed works well when guests visit. Especially as the guests get older with more aches and pains. The memory foam mattress topper on the floor is actually the best of both worlds for me, but has a risk of moisture issues and is a pain to put up and down nightly so I don't do it often.  The bed is better for naps in my opinion, so having both works for me.

facepalm

• Bristles
« Reply #20 on: May 19, 2019, 01:44:12 PM »
A few questions:

What is the advantage of a futon over something like a memory foam mattress?

Where would one buy an authentic made in Japan futon? I'd like to try one as my matress/boxspring, while expensive, don't really cut it.

BDWW

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #21 on: May 19, 2019, 01:56:41 PM »
I haven't purchased one, but I've been eyeing these.

https://www.futonbedsfromjapan.com/

I have something similar to

https://www.amazon.com/J-Life-Japanese-Traditional-Shiki-Futon/dp/B00B2QI6R0/

Not the same brand, but I don't remember where I got mine. But it appears to be a decent - mass-produced - approximation of a traditional Japanese futon. Probably would work well with tatami mat.

YourMother

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #22 on: May 19, 2019, 03:19:30 PM »
A few questions:

Where would one buy an authentic made in Japan futon? I'd like to try one as my matress/boxspring, while expensive, don't really cut it.

With the futon, I can take outside and beat to get the dust-out and fluff it or lay over the patio wall to air it out. The cover comes off easily, and I can wash it. The futon folds easily and stores well in the bottom portion of the closet. Our sleep space is in the same room that my husband uses for his office, so it's nice to free up that floor space in the morning.

We tried a memory foam mattress for about a year; it was 15 inches thick, and I couldn't take it outside to air out. I could lift it against the wall, but it was too much work to make it outside to get fresh air daily.  I couldn't put it in the closet, so it took up floor space. It was also uncomfortable for me, and I'd often sleep on the floor instead. We gave it to one of our neighbors when we moved, and she loved it.

A few years ago, I purchased some new tatami mats for our apartment from J-Life International and saw they carry futons. https://jlifeinternational.com/

ApacheStache

• Stubble
« Reply #23 on: May 19, 2019, 03:53:47 PM »
I have been sleeping on the floor (on a camping mat in the winter and on a sheet in the summer) for about a year and a half now. After the first couple of weeks, the quality of sleep was just as good as I'd ever got in a bed, and my room feels more spacious....
Keep your bed available until you get used to the floor sleeping completely, just in case you decide you want to go back.

Same here, I've used a camping mat and sleeping pad and it works great, not to mention sleeping on the floor makes a room seem bigger because you are several feet further away from the ceiling. Also, for whatever reason, I don't sleep in when I sleep on the floor, but if I sleep in a bed I tend to waste 30-45 minutes just trying to wake up and get out of bed. I will also second keeping the bed, just in case you have overnight guests over — you may have a hard time convincing them to sleep on the floor. Also, this probably goes without saying, but make sure your floor is clean and there are no critters or creepy crawlies hanging around while you try to sleep.

Villanelle

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #24 on: May 19, 2019, 04:11:35 PM »
When you say "futon" do you mean the western version of that concept--generally a metal or wood frame that folds up like a sofa and then lays flat to become a bed, with a "mattress" on top ?  Or do you mean a true Japanese futon, which is the "mattress" laying on the floor?  If you mean the former, a twin bed probably takes up about the same space as the folded futon frame, and less then they futon is laid flat.  If you mean the later, you should know how the Japanese care for their futons, and why.  They aren't left on the floor, and they are frequently hung outside to air out and dry.  That doesn't mean it's not an option, but it does mean you need to do the research and commit to the proper care of the futon. 

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #25 on: May 19, 2019, 06:51:09 PM »
A few questions:

Memory foam is hotter.  It's very soft, so you sink into it and it traps heat all around your body.  This (if you're like me) makes sleeping uncomfortable and more difficult.  I didn't feel that as much with a futon, or a hard foam mattress.

hops

• Bristles
« Reply #26 on: May 20, 2019, 09:18:37 AM »
I often slept on the floor in my teens and early twenties, when spondyloarthritis made it impossible to get comfortable in a bed overnight. Now, with a spouse's comfort to consider and the constant shedding and mess-making of our pets, the thought is considerably less appealing.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!