Author Topic: Shopping for pedestal lamps  (Read 3490 times)

PDXTabs

• Walrus Stache
Shopping for pedestal lamps
« on: October 01, 2017, 09:24:28 AM »
I'm moving into a new place with very few overhead lights. I need to quickly acquire quite a few floor standing lamps. The two styles that I like are the ones that accept a 150W three-way bulb, and the ones that have five bulbs and a three-way switch (two bulbs, three bulbs, or five bulbs). However, I have no idea how to go about economically acquiring some on a tight timeline. Thoughts?

Cranky

• Magnum Stache
Re: Shopping for pedestal lamps
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2017, 04:07:42 PM »
Go to Target and buy some floor lamps that take LEDs.

Songbird

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2017, 08:31:16 PM »
I have found some very nice ones (that accept the 3 way bulbs) at thrift stores  Usually very economical too.

Penn42

• Bristles
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2017, 09:48:18 PM »
Ikea.  I have three of these.  They aren't 3 way, but I like them.  Only 7 bucks a pop (+ the light bulb).

http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/10139879/

Seradoc

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2017, 09:52:59 PM »
I just ordered the Ikea lamp above, but via Amazon for a premium (~$18).  I couldn't find anything else for a reasonable price and there isn't an Ikea for 100 miles.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00R3LQW42/

SC93

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2017, 11:09:56 PM »
It's weird because I love the dark yet I am a lamp collector. lol We buy all of ours at the antique stores. My favorite are the kind that light up at the base. The one we bought for $10 and it is worth $750. Another we bought for $90 and it is worth $1475. But I'd never sell them. Go to an estate sale on the last day, lamps are usually not big sellers unless they are unique.

Dollar Slice

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2017, 12:07:24 AM »
I had the opposite problem when I moved in here - too many overhead lights :-)  Way too bright for me, so I put in some lamps that I could use with less bright bulbs, instead. I picked up this one for the livingroom and put in LED bulbs. I've had it for a couple of years and it's perfect for what I needed. BB&B have stores everywhere so you might be able to go pick one of their lamps up same-day.

PDXTabs

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2017, 08:24:58 AM »
Thanks for all the replies, I really appreciate them. I would normally look around thrift stores but I need at least three right away to make the house livable.