Author Topic: Shopping at Aldi's  (Read 165316 times)

Pigeon

• Handlebar Stache
Re: Shopping at Aldi's
« Reply #150 on: September 14, 2015, 10:09:36 AM »

As I type I am eating some of the Tear and Share Chocolate Lovers Brioche. Damn that stuff is good!

That stuff is insanely delicious.

Ricky

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #151 on: January 08, 2016, 05:36:23 PM »
Just came form the one nearest me (about 2 miles away) simply to check it out. Definitely one of the most depressing places I've stepped foot in. Not everyone seemed miserable, but the majority did. When I walked in, I was greeted with mountains of processed junk. Chips, sweets, crackers, etc...Not that that doesn't exist everywhere...but I'd rather be greeted with the things I need to buy like produce.

Then I ran into a gallon of milk for ~$2.4. WOW! That's cheap. Not sure how that's even physically possible? Ok...so that was cheap, but then the meat was very on-par with any other run-of-the-mill "luxury" grocery store nearby. The produce also looked very pitiful and most of it was pre-packaged in plastic. No option to buy just a few of something you might need.

Overall - some stuff was noticeably cheaper and other stuff wasn't. You're definitely not going to find many organic products other than a some produce that may be marked organic. I'm not a firm believer in buying everything organic, but I would at least like the option. For as efficient as everyone says their stores are, that efficiency can be very confusing when nothing is labeled very well. The dreary interior and location that the nearby store I tried was in will probably deter me from future visits.

I mean...one can only spend so much on groceries. If you buy staples and skip prepared and frozen meals, then you're going to save tons of money anyway (no matter where you shop) if you also couple that with not eating out. I'm not convinced that it's worthwhile to give up a decent shopping experience for a few dollars saved.

All that said, I might give the next closest one a try, since it's in a slightly better location. The experience may be better.

Neustache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #152 on: January 08, 2016, 05:44:26 PM »
Huh.   I go during the day and it's the nicest, oldest people you will meet.  Super friendly, and sweet.  And old.  Because it's the morning during a work week, and they are retired on a fixed income. 

I love Aldis.  The old people tend to compliment my kiddos on their behavior. 

esq

• Bristles
« Reply #153 on: January 08, 2016, 06:07:38 PM »
Do any off brand Cheerios taste good? That's one thing we only buy name brand - usually in bulk on sale at Costco. I think ounce for ounce that beats generic at Aldi.

As I type I am eating some of the Tear and Share Chocolate Lovers Brioche. Damn that stuff is good!

Hi Jane - we didn't care for their Cheerios.  My kids were raised on Kroger brand, though - they don't even like Cheerios brand Cheerios, (although the Aldi Rice Chex is good).

And that luscious French chocolate brioche?  I brought it home ONCE, AND ATE HALF IN ONE SITTING.  So, no more, LOL.

imbros

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #154 on: January 08, 2016, 06:21:49 PM »
Just came form the one nearest me (about 2 miles away) simply to check it out. Definitely one of the most depressing places I've stepped foot in. Not everyone seemed miserable, but the majority did. When I walked in, I was greeted with mountains of processed junk. Chips, sweets, crackers, etc...Not that that doesn't exist everywhere...but I'd rather be greeted with the things I need to buy like produce.

Then I ran into a gallon of milk for ~$2.4. WOW! That's cheap. Not sure how that's even physically possible? Ok...so that was cheap, but then the meat was very on-par with any other run-of-the-mill "luxury" grocery store nearby. The produce also looked very pitiful and most of it was pre-packaged in plastic. No option to buy just a few of something you might need.

Overall - some stuff was noticeably cheaper and other stuff wasn't. You're definitely not going to find many organic products other than a some produce that may be marked organic. I'm not a firm believer in buying everything organic, but I would at least like the option. For as efficient as everyone says their stores are, that efficiency can be very confusing when nothing is labeled very well. The dreary interior and location that the nearby store I tried was in will probably deter me from future visits.

I mean...one can only spend so much on groceries. If you buy staples and skip prepared and frozen meals, then you're going to save tons of money anyway (no matter where you shop) if you also couple that with not eating out. I'm not convinced that it's worthwhile to give up a decent shopping experience for a few dollars saved.

All that said, I might give the next closest one a try, since it's in a slightly better location. The experience may be better.

Just like for any other retail store, location matters for Aldi stores as well. You will very likely find a cleaner/newer store with fewer "miserable" looking people at Aldi stores located in better neighborhoods.

As you entered the store, you were greeted with processed snacks because general public loves that stuff. Aldi is a for-profit business, they know they will sell that junk better if they place it in the entrance, and they do.

Almost everything is prepackaged, including things like bananas, bell peppers, zucchinis that you normally do not see prepackaged because it is easier to source from vendors that way. Also easier to ship, track and pay for at the cash register.

They are slowly increasing the number of organic products they carry (they have probably doubled over the past 5 years) and usually those products are very competitively priced. Why they don't carry more organic variety? again, it is supply and demand.

In my area, their prices are significantly better than other stores and they keep opening new stores. Their model has been extremely successful in Europe and there are several chains in other countries in Europe that have been applying the same model and doing extremely well.

Connie

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #155 on: January 10, 2016, 01:43:22 AM »
I fell in love with Aldi's BBQ and Sour cream & onion chips when I lived in New York for awhile. I've been waiting 6 years for them to open up in California (news articles say in March!). Those chips were cheap and packed with flavor and way better than the Lays versions.

The one I went to was kind of small and not as bright/shiny with gleaming waxed floors as the big brand grocery stores, things were piled on pallets on the ground instead of nice shelves, but it didn't bother me much. I'd rather have the cheaper prices. It did suck that they didn't provide any bags so I had to carry things out by hand, but I could get used to bringing my own bags.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2016, 01:49:01 AM by Connie »

LennStar

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #156 on: January 10, 2016, 02:18:09 AM »
I fell in love with Aldi's BBQ and Sour cream & onion chips when I lived in New York for awhile. I've been waiting 6 years for them to open up in California (news articles say in March!). Those chips were cheap and packed with flavor and way better than the Lays versions.

The one I went to was kind of small and not as bright/shiny with gleaming waxed floors as the big brand grocery stores, things were piled on pallets on the ground instead of nice shelves, but it didn't bother me much. I'd rather have the cheaper prices. It did suck that they didn't provide any bags so I had to carry things out by hand, but I could get used to bringing my own bags.
hint: cotton bags cost 0-2$, can be folded so that you can carry one or even two per pocket and last you years.
The last time I had to buy a bag because I forgot mine is years back. Ever thought about the cost savings compared to buy one or two each time, even if that costs just a few cents?
Or do you get the plastic bags "for free" in the US?
And I wont even mention the environment.

alsoknownasDean

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #157 on: January 10, 2016, 03:18:51 AM »
Aldi is awesome. I can get most of what I need there, and there's a Woolies close to my nearest Aldi which can take care of most of the rest. That and the unusual stuff they sell there.

I tend to just take the plastic bags I had from trips to Coles/Woolies. They're often good for a couple of uses.

I just wished they'd be open later, I've got to go and get something for tomorrow, it's 9:15pm and they close at 8. Off to Woolies (open until midnight) instead I think. :)

faramund

• Bristles
« Reply #158 on: January 10, 2016, 03:46:11 AM »
For those who say Aldi has some things they don't like.... who cares. We have a policy of going to Aldi once a week, and if there's something new, we try it. Then, if we don't like it, we don't buy it again (how shocking). But there is so much stuff we do like at Aldi, and it is so cheap, that the occasional cost of trying and disliking something, is just a negligible cost that is covered by the ongoing savings we get there.

rockstache

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #159 on: January 10, 2016, 05:37:50 AM »

I love Aldi. .. hummus (which DH would eat by the spoonful if he could)
Unless it's a diet restriction, perhaps you should be making your own hummus.

We used to make our own hummus.   Now I just buy Aldi's and have no regrets.   It's tasty, $2 a tub, and ready to eat whenever I want.  They also have a spicy kind that's just addictive.   Seriously, it's my vice right now.

+1   Hummus is one of those things that I just like better store bought. It's the texture really, and I'm not going to go out and buy a fancy food processor for just one recipe.

CheapScholar

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #160 on: January 10, 2016, 09:07:54 AM »
I love Aldi.  The wine is good, especially the Malbec.  The snacks are good, my family likes the chips and crackers.  I actually like the salsa, I add a dash of red cayenne to spice it up.  I also like their extra virgin olive oil.  It might be cheaper to get EVOO at Costco in a big metal container or something, but I'd rather save the space and not worry about the oil going bad.

charis

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #161 on: January 10, 2016, 11:25:28 AM »

I love Aldi. .. hummus (which DH would eat by the spoonful if he could)
Unless it's a diet restriction, perhaps you should be making your own hummus.

We used to make our own hummus.   Now I just buy Aldi's and have no regrets.   It's tasty, $2 a tub, and ready to eat whenever I want.  They also have a spicy kind that's just addictive.   Seriously, it's my vice right now.

+1   Hummus is one of those things that I just like better store bought. It's the texture really, and I'm not going to go out and buy a fancy food processor for just one recipe.

You don't need a fancy food processor for good hummus.  I can barely cook and it's one of the few good things I make.  And so easy.  The key to texture is removing the peels on the chickpeas (its a quick pinch per, I can do a can in 10 min in front of the TV).   Once I found a copycat TJ's Mediterranean recipe online, I could never eat store bought again.

rockstache

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #162 on: January 10, 2016, 11:41:05 AM »
We've tried it a few times. It just ends up kind of chunky and gross. We'll probably try it again at some point but it's not one of the things I have much ambition to do because it's so cheap at Aldi.

merci001

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #163 on: January 10, 2016, 04:45:10 PM »
Just went to Aldi's today and here is what I bought for $27.13:

Unsweetened original Almond milk-$2.29
Organic chicken broth-$1.79
Old fashioned Oats-2.39
1 dozen large eggs-1.59
Organic creamy peanut butter-3.99
Bag Navel oranges (standard size, not sure how many pounds, ?5)-1.99
2 lbs bananas-0.56
Shredded Mozzarella cheese (3 cups I think, maybe 4)-3.29
Multi-color peppers (red, orange, yellow)-1.99
Fruit cups (diced peaches)-1.69
Apple sauce cups- 1.49
Frozen extra fine green beans-1.49
Bag Spinach-1.49
Cilantro-0.99

That's a lot of food for less than $28!  I love Aldi's and shop there on a regular basis. I tried it when they first opened in our area and hated it, but they have greatly improved. I find their produce to be quite good, often times better than the bigger chain grocery stores in our area, and at half the cost. I don't tend to buy a lot of meat at Aldi's but I will on occasion. I usually buy  their canned goods (diced tomatoes, black beans, etc.). We don't eat a lot of cold breakfast cereals but I will occasionally purchase a box of shredded wheat or cheerios from Aldi's and I don't notice any big difference between theirs and brand name.   I also don't have any problems with their crackers/cheeses.

IanG

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #164 on: January 10, 2016, 07:08:24 PM »
My general rules are:

-Foreign products are often quite good and worth a try(British/Australian cheeses, Italian sparkling drinks, German treats,etc.)
-Meats are now ok but limited in selection (the new vacuum packed beef seems to be sourced from a similar vendor that supplies other large grocers in the area and is perfectly usable)
-Only buy as produce that be used in the short term (4 days or less) as it tends to go bad faster than elsewhere
-Most of their higher end household products (Tandil laundry detergent, Tandil oxi, toilet paper, cat litter) are good but might not be cheaper than Costco (one product is sold as Kirkland Signature and Costco is cheaper on a unit basis)
-Crackers/chips/cookies/etc are very cheap and often very good clones
-Major label items (Coke, Colgate, Head and Shoulders) are only equal to regular supermarket prices and more expensive then when on sale
-Stock up on Special Buys if you find something you love as they might not come back for a long time

Personally, I am a huge fan but I would definitely would give some huge caveats to a first time shopper (quarter for shopping cart, private labels, debit, etc.).  Follow the above,use common sense (such as avoiding products/produce that look crappy), and be willing to try new products.  I understand its not for everyone as I left the first time without buying anything thinking what is this BS but I have been converted.

Jakejake

• Pencil Stache
  • FIRE: June 17, 2016
« Reply #165 on: January 10, 2016, 07:18:57 PM »
I found some pumpkin cornbread croutons there on markdown that is my new weakness.

esq

• Bristles
« Reply #166 on: January 11, 2016, 08:36:45 AM »
I found some pumpkin cornbread croutons there on markdown that is my new weakness.

I saw those on the clearance rack, too.  I was dubious and didn't get them, darn it.

justajane

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #167 on: January 11, 2016, 08:40:49 AM »

I saw those on the clearance rack, too.  I was dubious and didn't get them, darn it.

I definitely think that this was the year they jumped the shark on pumpkin-flavored things. There was just so, so many things this year, and I imagine at least 75% of them tasted gross. This obviously was an exception, but overall I avoided all the pumpkin-flavored clearance items both at Aldi and elsewhere.

At least at my Aldi, you have to watch the clearance items. Sometimes they ring up regular price in the system and you have to get them to change it.

andy85

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #168 on: January 11, 2016, 08:51:16 AM »
Been shopping there for a couple of months since a friend/fellow MMM'er mentioned them...and it has drastically reduced my grocery bill. This weekend they had 3lbs of 85/15 ground turkey on sale for $6.00!!! i bought two.

Meat:
- 1lb sausage - 1.99
- 6lbs ground turkey - 11.98
- (2) 1.85lb turkey tenderloin - 11.98
That is 10.7 pounds of meat for $25.95!! (2.43/lb)

plus:
2 heads of cabbage, organic spinach, 2 pints of blueberries, 2 doz eggs, 2lbs of tomatoes, 3lbs of sweet potatoes, cashews, a gatorade, sea salt, olive oil, and 2 toothbrushes....Total bill was $62.49. I wont have to buy any meat next week, just veges, eggs, and fruit.

I really like their business model and the one by me isnt all that depressing at all haha. There are definitely people from all walks of life and social classes there.

edit: the most expensive item was a tub of cashews for 11.99...but nuts are expensive regardless.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2016, 08:53:32 AM by andy85 »

Trudie

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #169 on: January 11, 2016, 11:51:57 AM »
Aldi is opening new stores all the time.  I've tried about six different locations (hit them up when we're in the area).  I would say that two of them are depressing (because they're in economically depressed areas) and the other four are downright "swanky."  Either way, it doesn't matter.  I always find something of value there.

I won't list everything I buy, because it varies, but I cannot tell you the number of times I've taken a cheese plate, or (sparkling!) wine, or some sort of veg concoction to a party and get asked where I got it because it's "fabulous."  I just shrug and say, "Aldi." 

+1 for the European/imported foods -- especially for wines that meet DOCG requirements.  The product is far superior for the money.  My Italian-imported (DOCG) sparkling wine I bought for $7/bottle for NYE was better tasting than it's $17/bottle American imposter at my local grocery.  My girlfriends loved it.

Rewdoalb

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #170 on: January 11, 2016, 08:17:09 PM »
Wine is <$3. And we get everything else there too.

$100/person/month plus $100 total for restaurants

Neustache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #171 on: April 29, 2016, 06:58:06 AM »
Resurrecting this thread to say that now Aldi is taking more forms of credit cards.  Ours locally only took Discover, but now accepts Visa and MasterCard.  I swear I saw on a flier that our local one was taking AmEx, too, but the Nat'l website doesn't say that it will, so I may have misread that. 

Warlord1986

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #172 on: April 29, 2016, 07:07:30 AM »
Resurrecting this thread to say that now Aldi is taking more forms of credit cards.  Ours locally only took Discover, but now accepts Visa and MasterCard.  I swear I saw on a flier that our local one was taking AmEx, too, but the Nat'l website doesn't say that it will, so I may have misread that.

I danced for joy when the local Aldi's started taking credit cards. I cannot tell you how much easier this makes my life.

Neustache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #173 on: April 29, 2016, 07:25:23 AM »
Well shoot!  On this page of the site it says they do accept AmEx.  I'll have to ask today when I go.
https://www.aldi.us/en/customer-service/faqs/method-of-payment/

ZiziPB

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #174 on: April 29, 2016, 07:43:47 AM »
Mine (central CT) accept all credits cards as of a couple of months ago.  I use Fidelity Amex for 2% back.

Neustache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #175 on: April 29, 2016, 08:01:59 AM »
Good to know!  I'll find out shortly if mine accepts AmEx. 

J Boogie

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #176 on: April 29, 2016, 08:11:14 AM »
They now have their own version of a clif bar there, for those who occasionally eat clif bars.

They are sold 6 in a box for like 4 dollars, so decent savings compared to the usual $1 each that you'll pay for a clif bar.

They also now have their own kind bar packaged similarly.

I've noticed they are slowly removing added sugar and reducing the amount of salt in snack foods.  Smart company.

charis

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #177 on: April 29, 2016, 08:20:02 AM »
They now have their own version of a clif bar there, for those who occasionally eat clif bars.

They are sold 6 in a box for like 4 dollars, so decent savings compared to the usual $1 each that you'll pay for a clif bar.

They also now have their own kind bar packaged similarly.

I've noticed they are slowly removing added sugar and reducing the amount of salt in snack foods.  Smart company.

I think it helps that Aldi and Trader Joe's is owned by the same family.  They know what works.

Tris Prior

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #178 on: April 29, 2016, 08:48:26 AM »
I recently started shopping at our neighborhood Aldi and there are pluses and minuses. I agree with the comments upthread that the store is incredibly depressing - and also poorly organized; like is often not grouped with like and you have to slowly walk down the (cramped) aisles looking for where they might've hidden something you need. I always go without Boyfriend because he has a lot lower tolerance for wandering grocery stores hunting for things; he needs to be in and out quickly or I can actually see the steam coming out of his ears.  This is an Aldi in a rough-ish neighborhood, though. I go there because it's an easy walk and doesn't involve public transport/carrying full granny cart up and down train station stairs.

On the plus side, it is saving us a LOT of money especially on milk, cheese, greek yogurt, almond milk, and similar. Also baking staples and things like oatmeal and nuts. I love goat cheese and got a few logs for $2 each where the same thing is $5 or more at "normal" chain grocery stores here. Their French roast coffee is not too bad, I can get big things of spices for 99 cents, and their produce is often good. I treat it the same as our local cheap produce market - rather than going in with a list of what produce I want, I see what looks good and is on sale and buy that.

I don't buy a lot of processed foods but on the occasion that I have bought some at Aldi (protein bars or crackers or similar) they have been uniformly AWFUL.

Now, when we go to the "normal" grocery store and I buy staples or dairy, I'm horrified at the prices.

LennStar

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #179 on: April 29, 2016, 10:00:18 AM »
I don't buy a lot of processed foods but on the occasion that I have bought some at Aldi (protein bars or crackers or similar) they have been uniformly AWFUL.
:D
Here in Germany Aldi North and South just ranked 1st and 3rd in Mozzarella cheese.
I have no idea about the US, but here the discounters like ALDI are often very strong on their house brands and with about a 50% chance also in "use daily" products. The other 50% is mostly a never-again.
Example: Mars, MilkyWay, Snickers and such (if you have that names in the US) - I consider ALDI variant 1 OK, 1 better then the original and 2 only fit for throwing away.
The price difference is smaller here in Germany though, a lot. In this example its maybe 30% and that is high. Staples like milk differ - if at all - only by 10 cents to "normal" supermarket chains. And ALDI is pushing into the "high" brands, which resulted in Kaufland (big supermarket chain) not getting a few big brands on the shelves from now on because they didnt get the same prices as ALDI.

boarder42

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #180 on: April 29, 2016, 10:03:57 AM »

hint: cotton bags cost 0-2$, can be folded so that you can carry one or even two per pocket and last you years.
The last time I had to buy a bag because I forgot mine is years back. Ever thought about the cost savings compared to buy one or two each time, even if that costs just a few cents?
Or do you get the plastic bags "for free" in the US?
And I wont even mention the environment.

you can also use the free boxes that Aldi sets things out in allover the store just pull the chips out and set them on top and take the box

boarder42

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #181 on: April 29, 2016, 10:06:49 AM »
Aldi and the grocery store 2 minutes from my house are basically the only places we buy groceries.  I look at the weekly flyer to see whats on sale at the local store and try to stick to buying those there.  everything else comes from aldi

i've never had produce or meat issues with Aldi.  and their avocado sale prices cant be beat. range from 29-39c.  Fresh meat special buys are awesome.(though i have to take off at lunch to go get these b/c they fly off all the aldi's around me shelves)  i have almost eliminated my deep freeze needs by just buying exactly whats on sale as far as meat goes either at aldi or my local store.  fresh meat comes out much more tender when cooked. 

Helvegen

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #182 on: April 29, 2016, 10:44:03 AM »
I miss Aldi. I hope they come to the PNW eventually.

Canadian in KS

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #183 on: April 29, 2016, 11:28:09 AM »
For those recommending the chocolate from ALDI, may I ask what the brand name is, so that I can try it? Is it the "Choceur" stuff? (Generally I am leery of buying budget chocolate, having had a few bad experiences with bars of what seemed to be about 50% paraffin wax. But I'm willing to give this a go!)

Neustache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #184 on: April 29, 2016, 11:29:10 AM »
Yep, used my credit card, an AmEx at my Aldi shopping trip.

Also saw my mustachian aunt there.  Nice to see her and all the other old(er) ladies. 

Also saw a young mom smack her kid in the face when he said something she didn't like.  That was disturbing (and I've never had that experience before at Aldi). 

Pretty sure the psychological aspect of the credit card usage affected me, or it's because we are going out of town soon, but I spent $95 instead of my usual $75 dollars. !!!

Altons Bobs

• Bristles
« Reply #185 on: April 29, 2016, 02:05:32 PM »
Our Aldi here takes Amex, Visa, MasterCard, and Discover.  Chase Freedom has 5% cashback on grocery store purchases this quarter.  DD is very picky, she drinks Organic Valley milk and Aldi organic milk only, she couldn't tell the difference, but she could with other brands. So I get milk from Aldi, it's $2.95 compared to $4.39 for Organic Valley at Whole Foods. 

Our Aldi is not cramped, you'd know where things are, they're very obvious actually.  They sometimes have great deals on non-grocery stuff, like garden sprayers this week for $5 each compared to triple the price at the big box home improvement stores.  Their food in packages are a little scary to me sometimes, that they have a ton of ingredients I don't understand, so I don't buy those.

Pigeon

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #186 on: April 29, 2016, 02:22:15 PM »
I find their crackers to be great.  I always buy them if we are having a party.  I've bought a couple of different house brands of the chocolate and they've been delicious.  I don't generally like cheap chocolate, either.   One of the things I like about Aldi is  that I am in and out of there in far less time than the normal supermarket.  I can't get everything I need there and ours is a little far away.  I tend to go once a month, but would go more if there were one closer.

Trudie

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #187 on: April 29, 2016, 02:23:29 PM »
For those recommending the chocolate from ALDI, may I ask what the brand name is, so that I can try it? Is it the "Choceur" stuff? (Generally I am leery of buying budget chocolate, having had a few bad experiences with bars of what seemed to be about 50% paraffin wax. But I'm willing to give this a go!)

The quality is excellent.  It's made in Europe -- either Germany or Switzerland.  They don't do crappy chocolate.

Jack

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #188 on: April 29, 2016, 02:37:58 PM »

The quality is excellent.  It's made in Europe -- either Germany or Switzerland.  They don't do crappy chocolate.

There are different "styles" of chocolate. Choceur is more... Cadbury-like, I guess, which can be a bad thing if you prefer (e.g.) Hershey's.

Personally, I think Choceur tastes weird, but the Moser Roth (Aldi's higher end Lindt/Godiva-competitive brand) stuff is great.

Dee18

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #189 on: April 29, 2016, 03:58:08 PM »
The Aldis closest to me has fabulous produce, is always clean, has the fastest cashiers in town and always opens up new lanes if the line backs up.  The one just 5 miles away is always poorly stocked and generally an unpleasant experience. 
Favorite items this week included 39 cent avocados, eggplant, oranges, grapefruit, goat cheese, hummus, Chex cereal and walnuts.

alsoknownasDean

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #190 on: April 30, 2016, 02:13:29 AM »
I'd like to say how jealous that I am of 39 cent avocadoes. The local Aldi has them on special for $1.49, and they're often $2-3 each at the big two. :(

There's a few things that Aldi don't sell which gets annoying (tortillas are hard to find there). Aldi wine and beer is decent enough, although the beer is mostly just lager. They were selling South African products not so long ago, I bought quite a few packets of biltong. :)

They've taken credit cards and PayWave for a while here. It's a 0.5% credit card surcharge, but I get 2% back with the card anyway. Aldi has been very successful in Australia, they've got a 12% marketshare nationally (despite not being available in two (until recently three) states) and 15.5% in my state.

The Aldi Weet-Bix equivalent is actually quite nice. I buy their dishwasher powder because pretty much all of the other brands have shifted to tablets (which are more expensive and stick together after a while). Their cheese, sour cream and milk are good. I'd rather go to the fruit and vegetable shop down the road for produce, and their meat can be a bit hit and miss.

Still puzzles me why they'll sell a tin of tomatoes imported from Italy for $0.59, but their Australian tinned tomatoes are sold for $0.95.

Cranky

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #191 on: April 30, 2016, 05:55:12 AM »
My Aldi's has nicer produce than the big grocery store does, at half the price. Anything we don't get from the CSA, we fill in from Aldi's.

It is mostly prepackaged, but that's true of the grocery store as well.

Tris Prior

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #192 on: April 30, 2016, 02:26:30 PM »
Your Aldis sell booze? Huh. Mine doesn't. (but then, this seems endemic to the city; the CVS in our old neighborhood sold booze but the one near us now and the one by work does not. Maybe it's got something to do with how hard it is to get a liquor license here.)

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #193 on: May 01, 2016, 05:11:31 AM »
Also saw a young mom smack her kid in the face when he said something she didn't like.  That was disturbing (and I've never had that experience before at Aldi). 
Sorry, exactly how is what you saw in any way related to being at Aldi? Bad/frustrated parenting happens at stores everywhere. Are you blaming Aldi for something completely beyond their control? What, only bad parents shop at Aldi, or shopping at Aldi will make you a bad parent?

alsoknownasDean

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #194 on: May 01, 2016, 05:33:36 AM »
I went to another Aldi I don't normally go to, and found that they sell coffee beans, $10.99 for 1kg of medium roast beans. That's what I've been paying for 250g of beans elsewhere.

Neustache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #195 on: May 01, 2016, 01:52:01 PM »
Sorry, exactly how is what you saw in any way related to being at Aldi? Bad/frustrated parenting happens at stores everywhere. Are you blaming Aldi for something completely beyond their control? What, only bad parents shop at Aldi, or shopping at Aldi will make you a bad parent?

Uhh...no.  I was just relating my shopping trip.  I love my Aldi, and I was stating that sort of behavior is really out of character for the shoppers at Aldi.  Usually I see sweet little old ladies there and it's an incredibly enjoyable experience.  I was just shocked (and it happened at Aldi) and I was telling about my Aldi shopping experience that day. 

ender

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #196 on: May 01, 2016, 02:26:01 PM »
Your Aldis sell booze? Huh. Mine doesn't. (but then, this seems endemic to the city; the CVS in our old neighborhood sold booze but the one near us now and the one by work does not. Maybe it's got something to do with how hard it is to get a liquor license here.)

Ours does.

mohawkbrah

• Bristles
  • every day they see me hustling those pennies away
« Reply #197 on: May 02, 2016, 05:54:45 AM »
haven't read entire thread but i've noticed aldi employee's are a lot happier (uk) probably has something to do with them getting paid above minimum wage unlike everywhere else

Canadian in KS

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #198 on: May 02, 2016, 06:41:29 AM »
Follow-up report: this weekend I picked up a bar of Moser Roth milk chocolate at ALDI, and my family and I can confirm it is every bit as good as Lindt! Thanks for the tip, MMM community!

jacksonvasey

• Stubble
« Reply #199 on: May 11, 2016, 02:26:03 PM »
There's an Aldi distribution center nearby that was built in the last year and a half, and I saw a huge improvement in the quality of the produce since the DC opened.  To the point that I couldn't justify buying any at that point, to it now being my first stop for certain produce (sweet peppers, baby carrots, bananas, broccoli, and berries).

I've never seen them, but the bevel-edge chisels distributed at Aldi are supposed to be really good for as cheap as they are.  I think I bought a set from the same chinese factory at harbor freight, but I check the flier every week to see if they'll be stocking chisels.