Author Topic: Shopping at Aldi's  (Read 165277 times)

ZiziPB

• Magnum Stache
Re: Shopping at Aldi's
« Reply #250 on: May 31, 2016, 02:29:44 PM »
My local Aldi was closed yesterday for the holiday. Although this was inconvenient for me personally, it actually made me feel good that the company lets its workers enjoy a national holiday. That's so rare when you work retail.

The only two grocery stores in my area that are closed for Thanksgiving are Publix and Aldi's. I worked in retail briefly once upon a time, and now I make a point to support businesses that treat their employees like humans. There is no price low enough to justify treating a person the way WalMart treats its employees.

Ours was closed yesterday too.  And they have a sign for open cashier positions paying $12.75 an hour which is what Costco pays (min wage is $9.60 in CT).  It's good to see business treat their employees semi-decently.

esq

• Bristles
« Reply #251 on: June 01, 2016, 06:34:51 PM »
I'm always amazed at how the Aldi cashiers are allowed to sit.  You never see that anywhere else, and it's a small thing that makes a big difference.  Why don't other stores allow this?

Neustache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #252 on: June 01, 2016, 07:25:06 PM »
I'm always amazed at how the Aldi cashiers are allowed to sit.  You never see that anywhere else, and it's a small thing that makes a big difference.  Why don't other stores allow this?

Former cashier, and I don't know why that is!  I love it.  Although standing is helpful if you are bagging, and aldi's cashiers don't bag, so maybe that's part of it. 

ZiziPB

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #253 on: June 02, 2016, 10:28:51 AM »

Former cashier, and I don't know why that is!  I love it.  Although standing is helpful if you are bagging, and aldi's cashiers don't bag, so maybe that's part of it.

Maybe that's due to the fact that it is a German company? Cashiers sit at most of Europeans grocery stores. 

LennStar

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #254 on: June 03, 2016, 09:23:15 AM »
All. At least here in Germany.
You know, having Unions DOES have its good points.

boarder42

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #255 on: June 03, 2016, 09:28:17 AM »

i personally dont think unions serve a purpose anymore.  they used to. now there are federal regulation in place and local municipality ragulations in most 1st world countries.

rubybeth

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #256 on: June 03, 2016, 06:43:56 PM »

i personally dont think unions serve a purpose anymore.  they used to. now there are federal regulation in place and local municipality ragulations in most 1st world countries.

Oh boy, don't even get started on that in this thread. I'm a union employee and could say so much. If you want to start a thread that's anti-union and your personal opinions about it, I say go ahead, but saying something like this in a thread about a grocery store? Please.

boarder42

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #257 on: June 05, 2016, 10:49:25 AM »

Oh boy, don't even get started on that in this thread. I'm a union employee and could say so much. If you want to start a thread that's anti-union and your personal opinions about it, I say go ahead, but saying something like this in a thread about a grocery store? Please.

Just responded to a post about them in the same thread.

G-dog

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #258 on: June 05, 2016, 12:36:32 PM »

Why try to bait someone on this when you could just drop it and get back on topic?

boarder42

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #259 on: June 05, 2016, 02:13:09 PM »

Why try to bait someone on this when you could just drop it and get back on topic?

So what was the point of your comment and then what was the point of his comment. Both were more a bait comment than mine.

Christof

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #260 on: June 05, 2016, 03:09:49 PM »
The prices were good I guess, but for similar prices I can get actual food, fresh produce and ready to go meals from Trader Joes.

Which is basically the same company.... Well, technically it's the other brother's business, that also has ALDI('s) in other countries and the Northern part of Germany.

JrDoctor

• Stubble
« Reply #261 on: June 05, 2016, 03:34:14 PM »

From what I have read about your countries labour laws and the way corporations work you, you definitely need unions. 

Christof

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #262 on: June 05, 2016, 04:19:08 PM »
That quote is from boarder42. LennStar is from Germany.

boarder42

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #263 on: June 05, 2016, 05:37:31 PM »

From what I have read about your countries labour laws and the way corporations work you, you definitely need unions.

There are lots of things wrong with this post you fix it

gggggg

• Bristles
« Reply #264 on: June 09, 2016, 06:06:43 AM »
I love Aldi; I shop there once a week, as it's only a block from my condo. Despite what I've read here, I find the produce to be better, longer lasting and cheaper than my local grocery stores. The fresh meat has always been good. The only things I don't care for are the much loved take and bake pizzas (walmart's are much better imo), and the peanut butter (has a weird, slightly off taste).

lizzzi

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #265 on: June 09, 2016, 12:37:09 PM »
I got a pound of strawberries for $1.49 today. I've been eating so many that I'm going to look like a strawberry. I've tried the grass-fed, organic ground beef for the second time--it sounds a little precious and fancy pants, but I found (surprise) I like it better than the "regular" ground meat.

coffeelover

• Stubble
« Reply #266 on: June 09, 2016, 07:16:42 PM »
I love Aldi; I shop there once a week, as it's only a block from my condo. Despite what I've read here, I find the produce to be better, longer lasting and cheaper than my local grocery stores. The fresh meat has always been good. The only things I don't care for are the much loved take and bake pizzas (walmart's are much better imo), and the peanut butter (has a weird, slightly off taste).

Huh! I'm actually surpriesed to read this about Aldi's peanut butter. I just bought a large can of it this week because it is cheaper then buying the normal Kroger smaller jar.

I wanted to say the peanut butter tasted exactly the same as Kroger's brand.
My kids didn't notice the difference either.

Wonder what others think of it.

My family loves the 1 pound bag of lunch meats you can get there for 3.49 a pound. At Kroger I pay for the off-brand/kroger brand usually 4 to 6 bucks for a pound of it.

I have to shop at Aldi twice a month so I can stay within my food budget :)

coffeelover

• Stubble
« Reply #267 on: June 09, 2016, 07:18:15 PM »
I got a pound of strawberries for $1.49 today. I've been eating so many that I'm going to look like a strawberry. I've tried the grass-fed, organic ground beef for the second time--it sounds a little precious and fancy pants, but I found (surprise) I like it better than the "regular" ground meat.

This meat you write about, what kind specifically, ready made burgers, or just meat that you have to prepare whatever way you want? Also how much did they charge for this?

Jakejake

• Pencil Stache
  • FIRE: June 17, 2016
« Reply #268 on: June 09, 2016, 07:49:14 PM »
My family loves the 1 pound bag of lunch meats you can get there for 3.49 a pound. At Kroger I pay for the off-brand/kroger brand usually 4 to 6 bucks for a pound of it.
Boneless/skinless chicken breasts are often $1-2/lb and you can bake and slice them for even cheaper (and often healthier) lunch meat.

Dancin'Dog

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #269 on: June 09, 2016, 08:31:37 PM »
Aldi is great.  I wish we had one in our town.  I shoot em' an email about opening one every now and then, but they just reply about their locations that are about 45 minutes away. 

We really like their chips, chocolate, and pesto sauce. 

lizzzi

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #270 on: June 09, 2016, 08:43:00 PM »

This meat you write about, what kind specifically, ready made burgers, or just meat that you have to prepare whatever way you want? Also how much did they charge for this?

It was a one-pound block of ground beef, that could be used however you would want. I think it was $5.84--not all that cheap, but it was good. I got four meals (for myself--one person)  out of it--sauteed the ground beef with onion, garlic, salt, pepper...threw in a drained can of mixed vegetables and one cup of gravy--used it as a meat pie filling. I made my own crust from scratch to go on top of the meat pies.

Basenji

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #271 on: July 29, 2016, 07:35:02 PM »
We just got an Aldi. I'll have to re-read this thread! I had a frozen pizza that was pretty good for $4. DH was impressed with a steak he bought. More reports to come...

lizzzi

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #272 on: July 30, 2016, 06:03:01 AM »
They had pints of blueberries for 60 cents this week. I bought two for myself and two for my daughter. They were good, too--yum.

ender

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #273 on: July 30, 2016, 08:10:29 AM »
They had pints of blueberries for 60 cents this week. I bought two for myself and two for my daughter. They were good, too--yum.

Ahhh this is a good deal! I want to dehydrate them sometime and 60 cents a pint would have been really good pricing.

justajane

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #274 on: July 30, 2016, 08:25:54 AM »

Ahhh this is a good deal! I want to dehydrate them sometime and 60 cents a pint would have been really good pricing.

Our Aldi almost always has some sort of fruit on sale, so we eat whatever that is. My favorite are the super cheap blueberries and strawberries. Oh, and the rare times they have cherries for 1.99 or less.

Moonwaves

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #275 on: July 30, 2016, 08:46:24 AM »

I've never tried blueberries but I have dehydrated redcurrants and bilberries (kind of like blueberries but smaller). Verdict? It's not worth it. Takes a long, long time and they're weren't really very nice because once the water is gone, there's just not much left. Kind of similar to my experience drying raspberries, which I had thought I would love. The dried ones you can buy are usually freeze-dried, which is a totally different process (there's a fancy chocolate shop here that sells dark chocolate covered dried raspberries, they are one of the most delicious things ever!).  Strawberries are so far the only berries I've had good results with in the dehydrator.

gggggg

• Bristles
« Reply #276 on: July 30, 2016, 08:44:53 PM »
I like Aldi for the most part. Their employees seem curt or snippy sometimes though. I know there are only a few employees in the store at one time, and probably have alot on their plate, but still. I prob wouldn't seek an Aldi out if it wasn't as close (I can see it from my condo) as mine is, but they are generally cheaper than standard grocery stores. Trader Joes I would, and do, seek out.

Letj

• Bristles
« Reply #277 on: July 31, 2016, 06:58:14 AM »
Posting to follow. Recently started shopping there and saving lots of money on grocery. The staff is efficient and friendly and I like that I can easily find my staples without having to wade through a million items.

lizzzi

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #278 on: July 31, 2016, 09:26:01 AM »
Employees at my local Aldi are noticeably nicer, warmer, kinder, seem happier than employees at the local Giant Eagle grocery--who are OK, too--usually acceptably courteous-- but can be kind of a mixed bag, and never, ever seem happy.

gggggg

• Bristles
« Reply #279 on: July 31, 2016, 09:54:31 AM »
Employees at my local Aldi are noticeably nicer, warmer, kinder, seem happier than employees at the local Giant Eagle grocery--who are OK, too--usually acceptably courteous-- but can be kind of a mixed bag, and never, ever seem happy.

Perhaps it's just my location that has snippy employees. They constantly chastise folks in line who "aren't with the Aldi program" with comments and dirty looks. Last week, for example, I was in my Aldi, and an employee dropped a pallet of food in the middle of the isle I was coming down, blocking the whole isle; the employee gave me a "too bad" look, and walked off. I'll try another nearby one and see if it's any different.

Thinkum

• Pencil Stache
  • Life is Good
« Reply #280 on: July 31, 2016, 12:21:42 PM »

Perhaps it's just my location that has snippy employees. They constantly chastise folks in line who "aren't with the Aldi program" with comments and dirty looks. Last week, for example, I was in my Aldi, and an employee dropped a pallet of food in the middle of the isle I was coming down, blocking the whole isle; the employee gave me a "too bad" look, and walked off. I'll try another nearby one and see if it's any different.

That sounds extremely off-putting. Have you brought this up to the manager? What about corporate?

esq

• Bristles
« Reply #281 on: August 01, 2016, 07:44:28 AM »

I would get with corporate.  The fact that Aldi goes the extra lengths, such as paying higher wages and letting their cashiers sit down at the register, makes me think employee satisfaction is very important.  If their people are acting like rude fools, corporate would want to know.  Everyone at my store is always friendly and smiling, and has been for years.

Neustache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #282 on: August 01, 2016, 08:10:16 AM »

I would get with corporate.  The fact that Aldi goes the extra lengths, such as paying higher wages and letting their cashiers sit down at the register, makes me think employee satisfaction is very important.  If their people are acting like rude fools, corporate would want to know.  Everyone at my store is always friendly and smiling, and has been for years.

Yep - the long-term employees at Aldi are top-notch.  I'd say something.  I wouldn't say mine are always smiling, but they are always fast and efficient.

mizzourah2006

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #283 on: August 01, 2016, 01:23:38 PM »
Just checked out  our local Aldi's this weekend. Some great prices on milk, cheese, eggs and produce. We got a gallon of milk for 75 cents and a dozen eggs for 68 cents.

Also, I saw people say cash only a lot on this thread. They accepted credit at the one we shopped at.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2016, 01:27:20 PM by mizzourah2006 »

kina

• Pencil Stache
  • sea urchin currency
« Reply #284 on: August 01, 2016, 01:33:41 PM »
Just checked out  our local Aldi's this weekend. Some great prices on milk, cheese, eggs and produce. We got a gallon of milk for 75 cents and a dozen eggs for 68 cents.

Also, I saw people say cash only a lot on this thread. They accepted credit at the one we shopped at.

That is a relatively recent (within the last year) development and is now in all stores. I may or may not have done a happy dance when that happened.

esq

• Bristles
« Reply #285 on: August 01, 2016, 05:37:10 PM »

That is a relatively recent (within the last year) development and is now in all stores. I may or may not have done a happy dance when that happened.

I took my first free trip this summer (airfare and car rental) courtesy of Chase Sapphire cc, just paying my monthly bills/groceries.  I danced a jig!

Giro

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #286 on: August 02, 2016, 12:55:42 PM »
I've probably been reading too many articles about how sitting down is making us very fat and sick, BUT when I read the comments about the "perk" of sitting down, all I could think was "yea, those cashiers can die like the rest of us." 

coppertop

• Bristles
« Reply #287 on: August 02, 2016, 01:08:33 PM »
My pet peeve at Aldi is how they wrap their bananas in plastic.  All too often, they are overripe and rotting in those plastic bags and I just pass them by, despite the cheap price.

Bucksandreds

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #288 on: August 02, 2016, 01:45:59 PM »

There are lots of things wrong with this post you fix it

Nice punctuation!  The destruction of the unions in the U.S. correlates with the loss of decent paying semi-skilled jobs.  Being against unions in principal, is most likely your position.  Looking at U.S. history probably would not lead you to that opinion, however.  In more bad news for you, Ted Cruz lost the nomination.  At least you got to see the Ted Wedding (for the GOT fans) at the convention.

With This Herring

• Handlebar Stache
  • TANSTAAFL!
« Reply #289 on: August 02, 2016, 01:50:16 PM »
My pet peeve at Aldi is how they wrap their bananas in plastic.  All too often, they are overripe and rotting in those plastic bags and I just pass them by, despite the cheap price.

Huh what?  The bananas at my Aldi are just bound together with that bizarre logo tape (usually Chiquita) that is used at all groceries in our area.  Tell the manager at your Aldi or send in a complaint to Aldi corporate.  https://www.aldi.us/en/customer-service/contact-us/

I'm rather surprised at some of the regional differences between Aldi locations.

esq

• Bristles
« Reply #290 on: August 02, 2016, 03:39:04 PM »

Same here.  I buy bananas at the regular grocery store.  Sometimes Aldi bananas are green AND rotting.  How is that possible?  Yuck.

LennStar

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #291 on: August 03, 2016, 07:52:30 AM »

Same here.  I buy bananas at the regular grocery store.  Sometimes Aldi bananas are green AND rotting.  How is that possible?  Yuck.
Simply. They arrive at the grocery green, get gassed and ripe. At Aldi they often get gassed way too much and change from green to yellow-black (where the gas was thickest) in one day.
Interesting that this is the only thing common in US and EU Aldis :D

esq

• Bristles
« Reply #292 on: August 03, 2016, 08:48:39 PM »

Simply. They arrive at the grocery green, get gassed and ripe. At Aldi they often get gassed way too much and change from green to yellow-black (where the gas was thickest) in one day.
Interesting that this is the only thing common in US and EU Aldis :D

Poor bananas. :/

With This Herring

• Handlebar Stache
  • TANSTAAFL!
« Reply #293 on: August 05, 2016, 02:06:26 PM »

Huh what?  The bananas at my Aldi are just bound together with that bizarre logo tape (usually Chiquita) that is used at all groceries in our area.  Tell the manager at your Aldi or send in a complaint to Aldi corporate.  https://www.aldi.us/en/customer-service/contact-us/

I'm rather surprised at some of the regional differences between Aldi locations.

And then yesterday, for the first time at my Aldi, the bananas were all in bags.  NO!! WHY?!  I bought super-green ones and tore off the bags the moment I got home.  They seem to be ripening normally on the counter right now...

With This Herring

• Handlebar Stache
  • TANSTAAFL!
« Reply #294 on: August 05, 2016, 02:10:43 PM »
Oh!  Guys!  I got the frozen (cooked) sushi at Aldi the other day and it is delicious!  I was expecting it to be just okay, but I am so happy!  I am no connoisseur, but I like it!  I have tried the "spicy crab" sushi (made with pollock, not crab).  I went back and got 7 boxes.  At mine it is $4.99 for a box of 15 pieces.  I find 7 or 8 makes a light meal (official serving size is 5 pieces).  It is a special, but the cashiers tell me that Aldi has had it before and it is really popular.

coffeelover

• Stubble
« Reply #295 on: August 05, 2016, 05:04:47 PM »
Oh!  Guys!  I got the frozen (cooked) sushi at Aldi the other day and it is delicious!  I was expecting it to be just okay, but I am so happy!  I am no connoisseur, but I like it!  I have tried the "spicy crab" sushi (made with pollock, not crab).  I went back and got 7 boxes.  At mine it is $4.99 for a box of 15 pieces.  I find 7 or 8 makes a light meal (official serving size is 5 pieces).  It is a special, but the cashiers tell me that Aldi has had it before and it is really popular.

I saw the sushi at my store and I opted to not buy it, just cuz I was a little scared.
If its there on my next trip I plan to try some, thanks for the tip.

gggggg

• Bristles
« Reply #296 on: August 05, 2016, 08:53:22 PM »

I saw the sushi at my store and I opted to not buy it, just cuz I was a little scared.

I tried it. Not to downplay Herrings opinion, but it was just barely passable to me. I'm used to decent fresh sushi though.

With This Herring

• Handlebar Stache
  • TANSTAAFL!
« Reply #297 on: August 05, 2016, 10:32:07 PM »

I tried it. Not to downplay Herrings opinion, but it was just barely passable to me. I'm used to decent fresh sushi though.

As I said, I am no connoisseur, so no offense taken.  My experience previously is mostly the local Asian buffet and the to-go boxes at Wegmans.  For $5, I think it is worth a shot if one is on the fence and has similarly uneducated tastes.

faramund

• Bristles
« Reply #298 on: August 06, 2016, 03:22:53 AM »
Oh that's so unfair!!!! Down here, in downunder, the best we get in potentially freshly prepared food at Aldi is buns and bread rolls - oh so you lucky people in the US get sushi - aren't you GRAND!!!

(of course, I'm also watching football, and thinking, don't drink and post... don't drink and post ....
« Last Edit: August 06, 2016, 03:26:48 AM by faramund »

esq

• Bristles
« Reply #299 on: August 06, 2016, 04:46:46 AM »
I'm experiencing extreme cognitive dissonance every time I read the words "frozen cooked sushi".