Author Topic: Shopping at Aldi's  (Read 165280 times)

esq

• Bristles
Re: Shopping at Aldi's
« Reply #200 on: May 11, 2016, 10:20:17 PM »
Our Aldi has wide aisles, so it's not cramped at all. It's also very clean. Also, +1000 for Moser Roth chocolate, especially at $1.99 for 4 oz.  It's made in Germany, and I've even switched from 70% to 85%.  Best stuff ever.  Right now they're stocked up on camping stuff; lots of pictures in the flyer - it's always interesting what their latest non-food item theme is. 

I saw an Aldi Sonicare toothbrush for $7.  I have a co worker who is having terrible problems with his teeth and am considering getting him one.

LennStar

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #201 on: May 12, 2016, 08:37:57 AM »
Our Aldi has wide aisles, so it's not cramped at all. It's also very clean. Also, +1000 for Moser Roth chocolate, especially at $1.99 for 4 oz.  It's made in Germany, and I've even switched from 70% to 85%.  Best stuff ever.  Right now they're stocked up on camping stuff; lots of pictures in the flyer - it's always interesting what their latest non-food item theme is. 

I saw an Aldi Sonicare toothbrush for $7.  I have a co worker who is having terrible problems with his teeth and am considering getting him one.
That an automatic, right?
It needs about 10 days to get used to them. Its a pain until that but I can heavily recommend the automatics over manuals. A lot easier to get to the smaller areas and you dont get a tennis arm after you are done ;) Also faster/better in same time

esq

• Bristles
« Reply #202 on: May 12, 2016, 09:49:29 AM »
I've been using Sonicare for decades.  I know the amazing effect it has on plaque and gum health.  ( I haven't flossed for decades, yet in the dentist chair I'm told I have zero plaque.)

JoRocka

• Bristles
« Reply #203 on: May 12, 2016, 11:10:04 AM »
I shop at aldi occasionally.

and quite frankly I don't get the appeal.  I buy the exact same things weekly.
Boneless chicken breasts (unless not on sale- then pork- if not on sale- then black beans)
2-4 dozen eggs
tomatoes
green peppers
onions (ever 2-3 weeks)
Greek Yogurt
Granola (lasts a month)
black berries  (lasts a month)
carrots (lasts 2-3 weeks easily)

For starters - I don't buy meat at aldi- b/c it's never been on sale.
Their produce isn't much less expensive- if at all (roma tomatoes average 1.49-1.99/pound for example)- which is the same cost as Shop Rite.

And. I can't the same volume as I want- they have very wasteful packaging.

AND- MORE egregious to me- the produce goes bad- within days- like 2-3. So I cannot buy my weekly stock of product. I would have to make multiple trips- so I guess... I just don't get it.
It's only semi convient- and the only true upside to me is that it's not swamped when I go.

rantk81

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #204 on: May 12, 2016, 12:44:46 PM »
I haven't had that problem with Aldi produce going bad any faster than produce from other stores.

In my neck of the woods (Chicago),the produce prices at Aldi are typically much much less than at the other chain grocery stores (Jewel, Marianos, Trader Joes, or <gasp> Whole Foods.)

The produce at Aldi is typically 30-50% less expensive than the prices at Jewel.

Jewel may occasionally have a sale on meat that is slightly better than Aldi's normal prices (maybe 20 or 30 cents a pound).  However, the normal prices for meat at Aldi are generally about half the price of the same cuts of meat at Jewel.

I guess everything is dependent upon what you normally buy.  One thing I did notice is, premium cut bacon at Aldi isn't much cheaper than Jewel's sale price (which seems to be a perpetual sale.)  Of course if you hit one of the rare times when bacon is not on sale at Jewel, it's way more expensive than at Aldi.

For staples like cereal, flour, sugar, rice, beans, bread, butter, milk, eggs, pasta... Aldi wins every time.

NoWorries

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #205 on: May 14, 2016, 09:23:26 PM »
Aldi has AMAZING sales. Today I got avocados for 15 cents each! Made a boatload of guacamole and froze it in ziplock bags. Freezes beautifully when you push the air out.

I also partook of their half price steak sale. Top sirloin for $2.50 pound, when it's $9.99 pound at our local store. I froze a lot of those. And I got 10 loaves of multigrain bread that normally costs $1.69 a loaf for only 69 cents!

Our chest freezer is very full.

Aldi is also good for their markdowns. I have a stash of boneless chicken thighs that were half price and am just finishing up some delicious frozen eggplant parmesan that was originally $2.50 but I got 15 for only 99 cents each. This poor lady came up after I loaded my cart with all of the marked down eggplant parm and asked timidly "Can I just have one?" LOL! I was kind and gave her two.

PhysicianOnFIRE

• Bristles
    • Physician On FIRE
« Reply #206 on: May 14, 2016, 09:32:23 PM »
The apostrophe is killing me! It's Aldi, just Aldi.

And here I go bringing the thread back to the top of the stack.

To contribute to the conversation, we buy:

fresh fruits and veggies
chips, chips, and more chips
breads, especially bagels
sour cream, cream cheese, regular cheese
shrimp. The 12 oz. bag is perfect for a meal for our family of 4.
breakfast bars
some of the crackers. The fake Triscuits don't cut it. Fake Cheez-Its are pretty good.
milk
chicken breast @ $1.49 a pound

-PoF

Outlier

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #207 on: May 14, 2016, 09:58:01 PM »
I love the Aldi's in my area. My weekly grocery bill goes down about 40% if I shop there compared to Meijer. My wife always avoids the meats at Aldi but otherwise I can get almost everything there.

Frankies Girl

• Magnum Stache
  • Ghouls Just Wanna Have Funds!
« Reply #208 on: May 14, 2016, 11:39:23 PM »
The apostrophe is killing me! It's Aldi, just Aldi.

And here I go bringing the thread back to the top of the stack.

To contribute to the conversation, we buy:

fresh fruits and veggies
chips, chips, and more chips
breads, especially bagels
sour cream, cream cheese, regular cheese
shrimp. The 12 oz. bag is perfect for a meal for our family of 4.
breakfast bars
some of the crackers. The fake Triscuits don't cut it. Fake Cheez-Its are pretty good.
milk
chicken breast @ $1.49 a pound

-PoF

Aldi shrimp is the same price as a 12 oz. bag of cooked, deveined and tail-removed shrimp at HEB, so I buy the shrimp there since I'm getting a tiny bit more shrimp for the same price and bonus don't have to remove the #@!$ tails. But most everything else on your list I buy at Aldi. :)

LennStar

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #209 on: May 15, 2016, 01:57:50 AM »
I love the Aldi's in my area.
You killed PhysicianOnFIRE, you really did it!!! :(

Neustache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #210 on: May 15, 2016, 05:29:37 AM »

LOL!

Jakejake

• Pencil Stache
  • FIRE: June 17, 2016
« Reply #211 on: May 15, 2016, 06:56:59 AM »
I'm in Michigan, too - so I shop at Aldi's, not Aldi. Those of you in the rest of the country will either have to accept that or ban the Michiganders from this thread.

http://michiganradio.org/post/story-behind-michigan-s#stream/0

Yesterday I went to Aldi's for the last day of the banana sale (29¢/lb). Got two bunches of them, a couple avocados, two bags of oranges - and then discovered their whole grain english muffins were 29¢ a package! I took all I could fit in my bike bag for freezing (9 packs) then biked home in the light rain - then turned around and biked back for more (7 miles round trip).

Someone had bought the rest by then, so I went home empty handed. Then I went to upload my receipt for the avocado rebate - and discovered they didn't charge me for the two avocados. Normally I'd go back and offer to pay - but at that point I'd already done a 20 mile ride to kmart plus the 14 miles in aldi trips, and really wasn't looking to up the aldi runs to 21 miles.

esq

• Bristles
« Reply #212 on: May 15, 2016, 07:06:27 AM »

I love the Aldi's in my area. My weekly grocery bill goes down about 40% if I shop there compared to Meijer. My wife always avoids the meats at Aldi but otherwise I can get almost everything there.

But then he came back to life.

Neustache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #213 on: May 15, 2016, 10:13:43 AM »
I'm in Michigan, too - so I shop at Aldi's, not Aldi. Those of you in the rest of the country will either have to accept that or ban the Michiganders from this thread.

Yesterday I went to Aldi's for the last day of the banana sale (29¢/lb). Got two bunches of them, a couple avocados, two bags of oranges - and then discovered their whole grain english muffins were 29¢ a package! I took all I could fit in my bike bag for freezing (9 packs) then biked home in the light rain - then turned around and biked back for more (7 miles round trip).

Someone had bought the rest by then, so I went home empty handed. Then I went to upload my receipt for the avocado rebate - and discovered they didn't charge me for the two avocados. Normally I'd go back and offer to pay - but at that point I'd already done a 20 mile ride to kmart plus the 14 miles in aldi trips, and really wasn't looking to up the aldi runs to 21 miles.

Ha!  I'm in Missouri and it is Aldi's for me.  I also call crayons 'crowns'. 

coffeelover

• Stubble
« Reply #214 on: May 15, 2016, 11:34:27 AM »

I shop at Aldi's too! Also in Michgian.
Our Alidi's also has great options for a stepchild with celiacs. Basically tons of gluten free options at very affordable prices.

Thinkum

• Pencil Stache
  • Life is Good
« Reply #215 on: May 15, 2016, 03:00:02 PM »
Just bought a tomato cage for $1.50, a full dollar cheaper than what I got at Lowe's earlier in the day. Quality is about the same too.

Tris Prior

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #216 on: May 19, 2016, 03:11:37 PM »
As with the cheap produce market in my city, I'm learning what's good and not-so-good to buy at Aldi. Mushrooms: never again. Bought them one afternoon, intending to cook them the next day. Nope. Mushy and moldy already. That's the second time that happened. Not doing that again unless my intent is cooking them as soon as I get them home from the store. Ditto their avocadoes. But I've been REALLY happy with their raspberries and strawberries.

I noticed the tomato cages too - I don't need any more right now but it was a good price and Aldi is way closer to me than any garden center or Home Depot.

Cranky

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #217 on: May 19, 2016, 03:24:23 PM »
The mushrooms at my Aldi's are fabulous and fresh! Avocados in Ohio are always a gamble - will they ripen properly or not? I'm a lot more willing to take that gamble when they are 49 cents each, though.

boarder42

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #218 on: May 20, 2016, 06:13:43 AM »
As with the cheap produce market in my city, I'm learning what's good and not-so-good to buy at Aldi. Mushrooms: never again. Bought them one afternoon, intending to cook them the next day. Nope. Mushy and moldy already. That's the second time that happened. Not doing that again unless my intent is cooking them as soon as I get them home from the store. Ditto their avocadoes. But I've been REALLY happy with their raspberries and strawberries.

I noticed the tomato cages too - I don't need any more right now but it was a good price and Aldi is way closer to me than any garden center or Home Depot.

aldi stands behind their produce if it really went bad that fast just return it and they will give you your money back.

avocados are typically never ripe at aldi and have to sit for a few days before you can use them

JPatch

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #219 on: May 20, 2016, 08:17:10 AM »
I've been converted to Aldi.  Now that they take credit cards at my store, I do most of my shopping there and pick up odds and ends at the Food City closer to my house.

It's cheaper than doing all the online rebate app stuff.  Ibotta went down the toilet by reducing the value of their Any Brand rebates...

Eludia

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #220 on: May 20, 2016, 03:18:43 PM »
We have an Aldi near us that we pass often.  I eat healthy and am vegan and honestly there is very little in there I would actually consider food.  It is like a dollar store, with some token sad old produce in the back.  Like one table of old cheap veggies that look like the dregs left at the end of a farmers market.  Everything was boxed processed crap with a smattering of dollar store esque sundries. 

The prices were good I guess, but for similar prices I can get actual food, fresh produce and ready to go meals from Trader Joes.

ender

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #221 on: May 21, 2016, 06:44:53 AM »
We have an Aldi near us that we pass often.  I eat healthy and am vegan and honestly there is very little in there I would actually consider food.  It is like a dollar store, with some token sad old produce in the back.  Like one table of old cheap veggies that look like the dregs left at the end of a farmers market.  Everything was boxed processed crap with a smattering of dollar store esque sundries. 

The prices were good I guess, but for similar prices I can get actual food, fresh produce and ready to go meals from Trader Joes.

Our Aldi's has a much higher percentage of the store that is fresh or frozen produce/meat than other local stores and is also a lot cheaper.

lizzzi

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #222 on: May 22, 2016, 11:52:04 AM »
Just got back from an Aldi shopping trip. As usual, good luck for the most part...like others, I choose my fresh fruits and vegetables carefully at Aldi...sometimes I buy them there, sometimes I don't. Other than some laundry and dishwashing products, paper products, and sponges,  I don't buy any non-food items at Aldi. I make a list carefully, and always go to Aldi first. If there is anything I can't find or substitute for at Aldi, I will pick it up at the "regular" grocery store. The price difference is astoundingly favorable at Aldi, but I do buy the basics and mostly cook whole foods from scratch.

jacksonvasey

• Stubble
« Reply #223 on: May 23, 2016, 07:39:47 AM »
Just FYI I just saw next week (5/29)'s store ad, and they appear to have the infamous Aldi chisels for sale next week for 6.99.  I'm gonna get myself a set.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ki8tt-VjwqI

Cranky

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #224 on: May 23, 2016, 12:28:15 PM »
Just got back from an Aldi shopping trip. As usual, good luck for the most part...like others, I choose my fresh fruits and vegetables carefully at Aldi...sometimes I buy them there, sometimes I don't. Other than some laundry and dishwashing products, paper products, and sponges,  I don't buy any non-food items at Aldi. I make a list carefully, and always go to Aldi first. If there is anything I can't find or substitute for at Aldi, I will pick it up at the "regular" grocery store. The price difference is astoundingly favorable at Aldi, but I do buy the basics and mostly cook whole foods from scratch.

Aldi's gardening stuff is REALLY nice. Over the years we've bought quite a bit of yard stuff there. Two years ago we bought the "garden arch" (and planted grapes to climb it) and it is extremely solid and well made.

We look at Aldi's first, and there is a certain cycle of their nonfood merchandise, and only buy elsewhere if we can't wait any longer.

bloomability

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #225 on: May 25, 2016, 11:16:21 AM »

I've had horrible luck with Trader Joe's produce. It's just not that good - under/over ripe and doesn't last very long. And the pricing does not compare with Aldi. It's a lot more expensive at TJ's than Aldi in Nashville!

Sprout's Farmers Market is one of my favorites, but since I moved, it's not close. Aldi has all my basic produce staples, and they last for a few weeks which means a lot less waste for me.

JoRocka

• Bristles
« Reply #226 on: May 25, 2016, 02:28:15 PM »

aldi stands behind their produce if it really went bad that fast just return it and they will give you your money back.

avocados are typically never ripe at aldi and have to sit for a few days before you can use them
Or I could just go to the store where I know they don't sell over ripped produce and save myself a trip of returning produce.  Because my time is worth more than the 2$ I spent and didn't save.

boarder42

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #227 on: May 26, 2016, 08:52:37 AM »

Or I could just go to the store where I know they don't sell over ripped produce and save myself a trip of returning produce.  Because my time is worth more than the 2$ I spent and didn't save.

pretty small sample size to base your future purchases on... i bought xyz once at any location could end up with similar results. 

ZiziPB

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #228 on: May 26, 2016, 08:58:17 AM »

The quality and variety of fresh produce at my Aldi has improved significantly over the last year or so.  However, as with any store, I inspect the packages pretty carefully and if something doesn't look right, I don't buy it. 

If you just grab the first package that comes to hand and put it into your cart without looking at it, you can end up with moldy strawberries or mushrooms at any store :-) 

Adge

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #229 on: May 26, 2016, 09:30:23 AM »

The quality and variety of fresh produce at my Aldi has improved significantly over the last year or so.  However, as with any store, I inspect the packages pretty carefully and if something doesn't look right, I don't buy it. 

I've noticed the same trend at my Aldi in terms of produce. It used to be I would need to pick up multiple things each week at Harris Teeter because the quality was iffy at Aldi. Now I rarely need to get any produce there except bananas. The bananas at Aldi are still pretty weird :P

I love that they've really been upping their organic game lately also! It's so nice to be able to count on getting about 90% of what I need from the grocery store there.

Chris22

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #230 on: May 26, 2016, 09:33:36 AM »
I love that they've really been upping their organic game lately also! It's so nice to be able to count on getting about 90% of what I need from the grocery store there.

Good on you for saving money, but there's no way in hell I'd ever shop at a grocery store that was missing about 10% of the stuff I need. 

Adge

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #231 on: May 26, 2016, 10:45:14 AM »

Good on you for saving money, but there's no way in hell I'd ever shop at a grocery store that was missing about 10% of the stuff I need.

I guess I should clarify that I'm shopping for 1 person and my grocery average so far for the year is a whopping $33 per week, so 10% of what I need is 1 or 2 things usually...plus the other store is a mile down the road from Aldi :) If I had to go out of my way it would be different but all the grocery stores in my small town are on the same strip of road so there's really no reason I couldn't go to two stores each time.

With This Herring

• Handlebar Stache
  • TANSTAAFL!
Re: Shopping at Aldi
« Reply #232 on: May 26, 2016, 12:26:51 PM »
I love Aldi.  I bought a basil plant there a few years ago to keep in my window.  I clipped and used leaves from it until a couple months ago when I accidentally dropped a window fan on it.  Whoops.  Fun fact, basil will grow into a tiny tree-looking thing if you have no clue what you are doing!  I miss that plant.  Three-odd years worth of basil is not bad for $2.99 and a few drips of plant food.

I did recently buy its replacement, also at Aldi.  Here's to many more years!

Chris22

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #233 on: May 26, 2016, 12:35:00 PM »

I guess I should clarify that I'm shopping for 1 person and my grocery average so far for the year is a whopping $33 per week, so 10% of what I need is 1 or 2 things usually...plus the other store is a mile down the road from Aldi :) If I had to go out of my way it would be different but all the grocery stores in my small town are on the same strip of road so there's really no reason I couldn't go to two stores each time.

It just means traveling 2 places, going through the checkout twice, etc etc etc.  It would annoy the crap out of me. 

Tris Prior

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #234 on: May 27, 2016, 08:07:53 AM »

It just means traveling 2 places, going through the checkout twice, etc etc etc.  It would annoy the crap out of me.

This is pretty much what I do, except for me it's 3 places. I hate it but it's the only way we can keep costs down. Aldi for staples, dairy, some produce. Local produce market (cheaper than Aldi) for other produce (depending on what they have on severe markdown that week). Regular grocery store (Jewel or Marianos, both increasingly pricey) for stuff the other 2 don't carry.

And I don't have a car so this is all on foot or public transport, with stops home in between to unload my cart. It sucks but the major chains here have just gotten so expensive that it's impossible to stay on budget.

alsoknownasDean

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #235 on: May 27, 2016, 08:22:35 AM »
There's a Woolworths right next to my nearest Aldi. If Aldi doesn't have it, I can walk a minute to Woolies.

Although I tend to shop at three or four stores to get the best value for money. The fruit and vegetable shop ten minutes drive away is significantly cheaper than the Woolworths or the Aldi, etc.

I still wish that Aldi sold tortillas.

Sent from my LG-D855 using Tapatalk

rantk81

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #236 on: May 27, 2016, 08:32:27 AM »
Aldi in Chicago sells "El Milagro" corn tortillas... For years it's been 33 cents for the 12pk of tortillas.  I buy them almost every week.

I don't know if "El Milagro" is just a local thing around Chicago though, but I love their tortillas.

With This Herring

• Handlebar Stache
  • TANSTAAFL!
« Reply #237 on: May 27, 2016, 10:01:25 PM »
My Aldi (capital region NYS) sells packs of small and large wheat tortillas.  None for 33 cents, though!

alsoknownasDean

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #238 on: May 28, 2016, 02:53:28 AM »
Aldi in Chicago sells "El Milagro" corn tortillas... For years it's been 33 cents for the 12pk of tortillas.  I buy them almost every week.

I don't know if "El Milagro" is just a local thing around Chicago though, but I love their tortillas.

My Aldi (capital region NYS) sells packs of small and large wheat tortillas.  None for 33 cents, though!

They do sell wraps which work OK (tbh they probably are wheat tortillas, just sold under a different name and larger), and you can buy 'El Tora' branded Old El Paso-style 'soft taco kits' with everything in a box, but if I just want a packet of 6-8" tortillas to use in tacos, I'll head to the other supermarket (where a packet of 12 is about $3).

Cranky

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #239 on: May 28, 2016, 05:49:01 AM »
There is a surprising lot of variation in Aldi's mix, regionally - the Aldi's in Tampa had a ton more "Hispanic" foods than mine does, but mine always carries lasagne noodles, and the one in Florida didn't.

No matter where I shop, there's always a few things that I want from somewhere else. I just keep a running list and make an extra stop once/month or so.

MrFrugalChicago

• Bristles
« Reply #240 on: May 28, 2016, 10:21:50 AM »
Just tried Aldi oagai or the first time in a while.

Good price on eggs, milk, booze. Bread was fair. Produce was pretty good. The meat looked pretty gross so couldn't buy any :(

Kaydedid

• Stubble
« Reply #241 on: May 28, 2016, 10:52:34 AM »
Love the produce and random organic items, like ketchup.  Milk isn't great, and they don't carry organic peanut butter, salad dressing, or not-from-concentrate apple juice.  We shop here weekly, with a monthly trip to the pricier grocery store.  I like the lack of options for single items, makes it so much easier to find what I need and get out fast.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

elaine amj

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #242 on: May 28, 2016, 11:16:38 AM »
I don't buy a massive amount at Aldi's. We do shop at 4-5 stores over a week to get our groceries. None are out of our way and we do save money so the time investment is worth it for us. I find sales cycle through and different things are cheap at different stores depending on the sales.

We do pretty consistently buy eggs (love 99 cent eggs) and milk from Aldi's. Their 1/2 gallon milk dropped to $0.69! (Couldnt understand the other shoppers grabbing the gallon jug next to it for $1.89). I also found coconut oil cooking spray for $2.99 last trip and was pleased. Everywhere else I looked was asking $7-8.

Sometimes they have the cheapest meat, sometimes not. I have been finding independents to have better meat prices.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Adge

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #243 on: May 28, 2016, 01:04:56 PM »
Love the produce and random organic items, like ketchup.  Milk isn't great, and they don't carry organic peanut butter, salad dressing, or not-from-concentrate apple juice.  We shop here weekly, with a monthly trip to the pricier grocery store.  I like the lack of options for single items, makes it so much easier to find what I need and get out fast.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Our Aldi here just started carrying organic peanut butter like 2 weeks ago, so keep an eye out for it there!

patrat

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #244 on: May 31, 2016, 07:59:12 AM »
there is a good chance it is my area... but the Aldi's here sucks. Granted, so does the local economy and there is much shoplifting in the area. Premium items are rarely stocked and often stolen everywhere, to the extent that things like lobster, crab, and shrimp are kept behind the counter at the grocery.

They only really sell processed and packaged food, with a token selection of overpriced meat and produce that is equal or less in quality to the regular supermarket. Mostly they seem to sell boxes of crackers, cookies, cereals, and promo seasonal garbage.

The store is laid out as a one way rat maze. There is literally only one way through the store, and once inside you MUST complete the entire route to leave. You may not leave through the entrance. You must go through checkstand. Didn't buy anything, too bad. There is no bypass lane, you must wait in line to leave.

esq

• Bristles
« Reply #245 on: May 31, 2016, 10:24:16 AM »
I found half sour refrigerated pickles yesterday for three bucks!  *does happy dance*

First time I've seen them.  Probably should have picked up extra.

Tris Prior

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #246 on: May 31, 2016, 11:19:07 AM »
My local Aldi was closed yesterday for the holiday. Although this was inconvenient for me personally, it actually made me feel good that the company lets its workers enjoy a national holiday. That's so rare when you work retail.

Warlord1986

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #247 on: May 31, 2016, 01:00:48 PM »
My local Aldi was closed yesterday for the holiday. Although this was inconvenient for me personally, it actually made me feel good that the company lets its workers enjoy a national holiday. That's so rare when you work retail.

The only two grocery stores in my area that are closed for Thanksgiving are Publix and Aldi's. I worked in retail briefly once upon a time, and now I make a point to support businesses that treat their employees like humans. There is no price low enough to justify treating a person the way WalMart treats its employees.

pbkmaine

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #248 on: May 31, 2016, 01:40:33 PM »
there is a good chance it is my area... but the Aldi's here sucks. Granted, so does the local economy and there is much shoplifting in the area. Premium items are rarely stocked and often stolen everywhere, to the extent that things like lobster, crab, and shrimp are kept behind the counter at the grocery.

They only really sell processed and packaged food, with a token selection of overpriced meat and produce that is equal or less in quality to the regular supermarket. Mostly they seem to sell boxes of crackers, cookies, cereals, and promo seasonal garbage.

The store is laid out as a one way rat maze. There is literally only one way through the store, and once inside you MUST complete the entire route to leave. You may not leave through the entrance. You must go through checkstand. Didn't buy anything, too bad. There is no bypass lane, you must wait in line to leave.

Good heavens! Where do you live?

charis

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #249 on: May 31, 2016, 02:16:27 PM »

Good heavens! Where do you live?
When I went to Costco in the early 2000s, it was a one way maze, is it still?

Aldi here also has designated entrance and exits, but it has aisles like any other store.