Author Topic: Sharing a Vacation Rental with Family  (Read 3832 times)

Catbert

• Magnum Stache
Re: Sharing a Vacation Rental with Family
« Reply #50 on: April 06, 2022, 12:45:31 PM »
Captain FIRE - Be sure to get back to us with what you do and how it works out.

Captain FIRE

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #51 on: April 06, 2022, 12:50:24 PM »
I guess it really depends on the group, but unless the rooms are significantly different, I can't see it being a huge problem that some are "better". I wouldn't want twin beds as a couple if someone else got a king size bed though, so for something like that I think the relative share could be adjusted.

I think I need to change my first post to clarify this, because I think there is some misunderstanding that some rooms might be slightly nicer because they have two more square feet or the blue coverlet looks nicer than the green.  I do not mean that.  I mean the difference between a new Porsche and a 20 year old beat up Honda Civic with broken AC and bad shocks.  Both get you to the same place, but even I, a non-car person would pick to win the Porsche in the contest over the beater. 

Example:
Master bedroom with fancy finishings and architectural features, double the square footage, often with a seating area or beautiful fireplace, attached full bath
Two twin beds (or more - sometimes up to four beds/bunks) squeezed into a very small room, barely any space between the bed to get out of them and walk.

This vacation area is kind of crazy.  And the room discrepancy is only part of it.

Captain FIRE

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #52 on: April 06, 2022, 12:54:24 PM »
Captain FIRE - Be sure to get back to us with what you do and how it works out.

Will do.  For an interim update the other couple sent us two 3-bed listings while I was driving home and proceeded to book one and put in an inquiry on another before we had a chance to look or respond (both refundable though). There had been no prior discussion of two places.  Also found out only half of the child-free couple may be coming, so I don't know if that means the other half will share a room with grandparent or we still need two bedrooms for them.  So things in flux and decisions made without discussion, which is shaping up to predict an awesome vacation I'm sure.

charis

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #53 on: April 06, 2022, 01:28:49 PM »
Perhaps they booked simply to save the spot with the ability to cancel? I have done that, but I generally don't say that I booked it until after a discussion and agreement.

PoutineLover

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #54 on: April 06, 2022, 01:42:57 PM »
I guess it really depends on the group, but unless the rooms are significantly different, I can't see it being a huge problem that some are "better". I wouldn't want twin beds as a couple if someone else got a king size bed though, so for something like that I think the relative share could be adjusted.

I think I need to change my first post to clarify this, because I think there is some misunderstanding that some rooms might be slightly nicer because they have two more square feet or the blue coverlet looks nicer than the green.  I do not mean that.  I mean the difference between a new Porsche and a 20 year old beat up Honda Civic with broken AC and bad shocks.  Both get you to the same place, but even I, a non-car person would pick to win the Porsche in the contest over the beater. 

Example:
Master bedroom with fancy finishings and architectural features, double the square footage, often with a seating area or beautiful fireplace, attached full bath
Two twin beds (or more - sometimes up to four beds/bunks) squeezed into a very small room, barely any space between the bed to get out of them and walk.

This vacation area is kind of crazy.  And the room discrepancy is only part of it.
Yeah those definitely aren't equivalent rooms for adult couples to stay in. The bunk beds sound great for kids though (if they're old enough). In that case I think the price should be adjusted if you decide to go anyway, with people paying more for the better rooms, or you just say that you're too old to stay in a single bunk bed separate from your spouse and decline the trip. I wouldn't want to pay exorbitant amounts of money for a vacation if I couldn't even sleep in the same bed as my spouse.

Captain FIRE

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #55 on: April 06, 2022, 02:10:35 PM »
Perhaps they booked simply to save the spot with the ability to cancel? I have done that, but I generally don't say that I booked it until after a discussion and agreement.

Yes that's why they did it.  And I actually don't mind (and understand) booking a fully refundable place, but it's a little frustrating to not get full info on people participating or that we're suddenly switching to two houses w/o warning.

rmorris50

• Bristles
« Reply #56 on: April 06, 2022, 08:19:46 PM »
We split the rental cost among each adult room, and the kids bunk room is left out, so all the adult rooms are sharing that cost. If the house has very unequally sized rooms then prob have to charge more for the nicer room(s).

I like by room because there are times I’m willing to pay more to have my own room, as opposed splitting it to share with someone.

Anything more than four adult rooms might overwhelm me tho. At that point I’d go the hotel route and let everyone figure their own out!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

elaine amj

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #57 on: April 07, 2022, 01:25:27 AM »
We have done this many times with various groups of friends and family. We usually divide evenly per person. (Or per couple/per family). Eg we had 3 families travelling together. Two had 2 kids while one had only 1 kid (who got the sofa bed). We still split 3-ways.

And yes, we have had many situations where there is a huge discrepancy between master and other rooms. It usually works out and we have never charged more for the nicer room. This is how it has worked in the past:

- couple A with 2 young kids in master, couple B in 2nd bedroom, couple C in 3rd, 4 kids (belonging to B and C) in a kids room

- organizer in master, couple B in 2nd bedroom, couple C (arrived 2 days later) in blah bedroom

- oldest sibling in master, siblings B in 2nd bedroom, siblings C in 3rd bedroom, siblings D (DH and I) in blah garage bedroom (Siblings C later said they would’ve preferred the garage to get away from the snoring!)

We’ve even put one couple on the sofa bed with another couple in a much fancier master and still split the bill evenly.

What helps is arrangements are made mostly for practicality and there are reasons for specific bed allocations. Eg the couple with the sofa bed were the early risers.

In your case, it kinda makes sense to charge by room since one family wants multiple rooms. I’ve planned many times to charge more for the much fancier master (as it seems more fair) but somehow an even split always works out to be the least awkward way to handle things.

I’d be careful to make sure the place you choose is acceptable to everyone involved. I usually put together several options with prices and pros and cons (after I have narrowed the list down based on everyone’s must haves and want-to-haves along with max budgets) then send it out and ask for votes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk