Author Topic: Semi FU  (Read 4683 times)

Julard

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Semi FU
« on: October 25, 2016, 02:38:42 AM »
I dropped back from full-time to 3 days.  Much as I would have loved to leave altogether, I just wasn't game in the end to risk not finding work soon, given advanced age and only having 10X annual spend.  Hopefully I can find something better that I'm happy to work 5 days at again, though I don't need to hurry. 

I've been unpleasantly caught between stress at home (child having pretty big problems) and stress at work, and something had to give.  It'll be an adjustment, not having the net worth go up for a while, but I'm really grateful I can afford to do this.  And that I know I can, which probably wouldn't have been the case before discovering MMM, Jim Collins etc a little over a year ago. 

I can only imagine how satisfying the full FU must be!
« Last Edit: November 01, 2017, 02:47:00 AM by Julard »

curly1973

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Re: Semi FU
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2016, 09:56:12 AM »
I have been thinking of doing something similar in the nearer future, but I'm still running the numbers to make sure that my wife and I are fully in the black.

It would be interesting for you to provide more details on your situation (e.g., current annual cost of living, projected income from working 3 days / week, would you be treading water under the new arrangement or still able to contribute to the stache, etc.).

I hope that this change proves positive for you!

Julard

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2016, 02:24:21 PM »
Hi Curly,

Total living costs for my two boys and I are around $56k a year (Aussie dollar), including $20k or so for rent.  I'll take a pay cut of around $28k. My saving rate has been nearly 40%, and this drop will take out most of that, though may still leave a little - say 5-10% - if no big spend items come up.

I'm planning on keeping my salary sacrifice (pre-tax superannuation contributions) at the maximum level of $30k, so my take home pay will be less than I spend.  This will let me move some of my spare cash into my superannuation account and reduce my tax bill.

Even though I could sustain the part time hours indefinitely if I had to, I'm hoping to find a better job situation at some point and get back to full time.  The big dream is still complete FU!  And it would be nice to be a little less careful with the budget.

Julard
« Last Edit: November 01, 2017, 02:47:37 AM by Julard »

pbnj

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2016, 02:42:45 PM »
Julard, I'm glad you can do this.  You cannot put a pricetag on your mental health or the well being of your family.

mx711yam

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2016, 04:19:28 PM »
My wife went from working 50+ hours a week, to 16 hours a week when we had our second child (and giving up about 80k a year in the process).  I could see the joy in her eyes when she did it, she only regrets she has to go in at all!

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!