Author Topic: Say Hi and Introduce Yourself  (Read 3317696 times)

ImCheap

• Stubble
Re: Say Hi and Introduce Yourself
« Reply #1650 on: September 22, 2014, 07:36:47 AM »
Hello all,

After reading this site for over a year now I thought what the heck, might as well join up.

I'm mid 40's and have been mostly doing the MMM thing as far as I can remember, looking forward to some good conversations.

We LYBM and index our investments.

Knapptyme

• Bristles
« Reply #1651 on: September 22, 2014, 10:14:40 AM »
Hi, I'm Steve. My wife, son (2.5), and I live in the Jacksonville, FL area, bike to work, and love life. While my wife may continue to teach even after we reach FI, I will be retired in about nine years' time at age 42.

We have a lot to learn, and love doing so, but financially we are in a great place ready to buy our first rental property.

Luke Warm

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1652 on: September 22, 2014, 12:38:52 PM »
Howdy. Carl from Pensacola, FL. I've been lurking for a while, trying to absorb some of this knowledge. I don't have much money knowledge but I'm good at not spending it. I make decent money for being relatively uneducated. My GF and I do all our retirement stuff through a financial planner and he says we're doing alright. I don't mind working but I'm not a career type person. I commute by bike, eat a lot of vegetables, say my prayers, all the good things.

Moby32

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1653 on: September 22, 2014, 10:09:25 PM »
Hello all,

Lurking for a bit over a month now, first post.  I work for a team of financial advisors at a large brokerage firm, and am excited to start tracking my journey to FI.  I am not a full blooded mustachian (I actually fly to another state for work), but I am gaining quite a bit of perspective from reading this forum.  Unfortunately working in my chosen career has severely skewed my perspective of reality and needs vs. wants.  I am trying to rediscover what is truly important, and how much passive income I need to be happy.  I am married, with two awesome dogs.

I hope to add some value to the forum and look forward to sharing/learning from you all.  I am extremely VALUE focused, not in the investment sense, but in the consumer sense.

Best,

Moby32

Olive Branch

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1654 on: September 23, 2014, 03:35:20 PM »
Hey folks, I'm Marcelo, currently living in Montreal, Canada. I'm a teacher by trade and in my mid-twenties. I've been reading the MMM blog for about a year and I've already spread the word of Mustachianism to my immediate family!

I decided to join the forum community because I'm sure that I can get great advice from other Mustachians as well as remind myself that early retirement is possible, and achievable to even a low earner like me! I've taken my first steps to early retirement by investing a bunch of my checking account money on Questrade and am prepared to retire Canadian Couch Potato style.

But even so, there's more I could do to get that freedom earlier, and I'll be scouring the forums and participating in discussions to discover those things I could be doing! :)

manonfire1007

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1655 on: September 25, 2014, 10:32:40 PM »
Ok, here goes.
37, high income with high student loans and higher than wise spending, though improving. Now on an actual budget. Happily married to one less interested in mustachinism than I, though she has her frugal points. Achievements in moving more in that direction come via negotiation.
Stats: 37 yo making 250k/ year. The income is recent as school took a while and I've moved up in my position in the last 3 years. Started 401k (maxed) and matched deferred comp plan when money came in 3 years ago. Have 280k in student loans and 238k mortgage on 15 year fixed. Average percentage is 5%. Take home pay after taxes and 401k is 14600/ mo. Live on 6k plus 2k mortgage. Pay 2700 in debt and accelerate with an extra 2k per month as the debt snowball. It would be more but that was what was negotiated. It puts me on track to be debt free in 8 years. The plan is then to half the difference between what I earn (14.6k) and budget to spend (6k) and save half and play/help others with the other half. All told it puts me at 1.7 mil at age 55.
I eat out more than I should. I drive an sub, as does she. I could bike but can't arrive at work sweating like a pig, which is what would happen. My suv is the luxury I allow myself and am unashamed. I love it and will drive it until it dies in 20 years. It is also very safe and my income goes away if I get hurt. No bikes on roads, no motorcycles or minicars. The house is very efficient and energy costs are low. No drinking and kids are well cared for. Wife could produce 80k a year but elects to stay home as a full time mom which I am thrilled to support.
Am working on whittling down the budget and am picking the low hanging fruit. I am not full on mustachian, but have adopted some principles to my betterment.
 Thoughts?

9ofPentacles

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1656 on: September 26, 2014, 06:44:24 AM »
Hey there Mustachians,

It's about time I introduced myself. I'm Denise, and I'm pretty obsessed with this site. I'm a 51-year-old widowed single mom of four kids--three grown and gone and a 12-year-old still at home. I've been working as a waitress since I was a teenager.

I wish I could say I've been a financial badass all this time, but it's only since my husband died four years ago that I was able to pay off our debt (except the mortgage) with the life insurance money. We were HORRIBLE with money together. Turns out that I'm pretty good with money on my own though. Pretty good, but not yet badass! I've got some challenges coming up in the next few years, so I'm heading off to "Ask a Mustachian" section to pick all your very smart brains.

Bytowner

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1657 on: September 26, 2014, 08:44:27 AM »
Hey all,
I'm an almost 31 year old from Ottawa, Canada. I have a wife, a 2 year old daughter, and another on the way. I have a too-big mortgage and a horrendous commute, but otherwise I feel like things are okay. First goal: paying off that mortgage. Low interest rate, but peace of mind is important to me and my job isn't exactly a sure-thing long term.
Nice to be here!

Ferrisbueller

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1658 on: September 27, 2014, 02:39:34 PM »
Hi all
Found mmm from another website forum and its been a revelation !

I'm 43 married with 3 small kids.  Every day I feel blessed with the family I have. I'm a financial consultant and earn around 150kpa wife is a 4 day working mom and earns around 80kpa

Background (lot of face punches here) I used (!) to love the finer things in life I suppose part of me still does so the spending part of my nature is not mustachian - I am NOT frugal by nature (sadly) and a am reforming luxury car addict. In my 30s drove a Porsche, expensive watch, lots of luxury holidays, great wine, Michelin star restaurants etc etc you get the picture. I lost around 50k on the Porsche and a bad financial investment which are probably the biggest non lifestyle fuckups I've made. Interestingly I was always into voluntary discomfort (marathon runner, gave up meat for periods of time) as a way of making life taste that bit sweeter and I've always been stoical in recognising how blessed I've been in my life. I also maxed my pension contributions in my 20s, never had credit card debt, and drove a crappy cheap car until my 30s, maybe there IS some mustachian in my DNA ??

Our house is worth around $1M and our equity is about 500k, my pension investments are around 280k and we have around 40k in savings. Wife has a government pension to look forward to. I inherited around 80k when my mother died last year and I paid off the two small car loans, dumped a chunk off the mortgage and had some work done on the house and kept the rest (did buy myself a pair of $300 cuff links) in the bank.

Then I found mmm around 6 months ago

Wife and I bought bikes, I'm selling my BMW (my family and friends are amazed/worried) in favour of bike/public transport, I've increased my pension and investment contributions to $3250pm ($800pm from employer on top), no big ticket luxury items bought, started reducing grocery spend, started a spending diary, took a cheap 3 week holiday with family (we all had our bikes too - brilliant time!). Wife a natural frugal/ mustachian. We still have iPads, iPhones, epic speed broadband and to be honest we're keeping them (I'm never gonna rotate bike tyres or buy a years supply of rolled oats to save $5 - it ain't me)

Still spend a lot each month
Mortgage 2.5k
Child care 2.1k (ouch)
Food 1.5k
Utilities 400
Cable 100
Insurance 250
Lots more I haven't yet a handle on

On balance I feel we're many years from FI because of the ages of our kids and the cost of childcare and education and my nature (love what I work at and enjoy working with the people i work with)but I'm working on my nature and enjoying this new way of living and thinking more than I ever thought I would. Wife buying in too (I think she secretly thought mmm was my latest fad until I put the BMW up for sale)

Thanks mmm for everything

TooOld

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1659 on: September 28, 2014, 06:16:34 PM »
I just signed up  today, 62 and still working thats why my handle is TooOld. I own my home, car,truckand collector car. still owe on small travel trailer. Have loaned both kids money still awaiting pay back on one. would like to retire in 2-3 years, dont have enough in investments to retire yet. trying to decide if I should pay off trailer with investment money

Mr Dorothy Dollar

• Stubble
    • Dorothy Dollar
« Reply #1660 on: September 29, 2014, 07:42:25 PM »
Hello, I am late 20's. Spouse is early 30's. So far we have: Paid off our modest student debt; bought a modest home less than 1 times our yearly salary; my workday commute is from the bedroom to the basement; Next stop is maxing Roth and then 401K/TSP.

I don't know if I would ever want to fully retire yet I would like the option. I like being busy.

Where are all my fellow young people.

oinkette

• Stubble
  • Well behaved women rarely make history.
« Reply #1661 on: September 30, 2014, 08:49:50 AM »
Hello,

I've been posting for a while so I guess I should officially introduce myself!

OINKette: One Income, No Kids...female. 36 years old.  Too old for ERE but hopefully ER.

I live in Houston, TX (this may change as I'm looking for a new job elsewhere, though I do love it here). Originally from Los Angeles. 

Income: ~$60,000
Expenses: ~$24,000
FIRE Goal: $600,000 with the house paid off (if I'm still in Houston).
Timeline: 10 years

startsomewhere

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1662 on: September 30, 2014, 10:20:42 AM »
Hi, Im Nichole. im a single mom with a 9 year old trying to figure out how to stay afloat.

jordanread

« Reply #1663 on: September 30, 2014, 10:57:52 AM »
Hello, I am late 20's. Spouse is early 30's. So far we have: Paid off our modest student debt; bought a modest home less than 1 times our yearly salary; my workday commute is from the bedroom to the basement; Next stop is maxing Roth and then 401K/TSP.

I don't know if I would ever want to fully retire yet I would like the option. I like being busy.

Where are all my fellow young people.

We're around. :-) Way to go with your accomplishments, and welcome!!

Shortbus

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1664 on: October 01, 2014, 11:44:27 AM »
Hi all,

I'm 36 & married with a toddler. Just took a big leap and moved from our big house far away from work to a rented townhouse less than half the size on an island close to nowhere but work. Fortunately I love my career and really don't care much about retiring early. I'm here mainly for inspiration on saving, dropping out of the consumeristic lifestyle and simplifying my life so my wife and I can spend more time with the little one while she's still little. Been reading for a few months, figured it was time to say hello!

Cheers!

gaiusbaltar

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1665 on: October 02, 2014, 11:47:22 AM »
Hi Everyone,

My wife and I are PhD students. We somehow stumbled onto MMM three years ago when we were starting our programs. I think maybe it was the True Cost of Commuting article that first brought us to the blog, but once we started reading we loved the philosophy and the goal of ER. At that time we had a student loan debt, but now it's long paid off and we're sitting on a hefty sum in vanguard investments.

2Birds1Stone

• Walrus Stache
  • K Thnx Bye
« Reply #1666 on: October 02, 2014, 08:07:28 PM »
Hi there! Fairly new to the community, have been reading like a madman the past couple of days.

Have been working full time for about 4 years, always had a knack for saving and despite a mediocre income and living in one of the most expensive places in the US I have been lucky enough to maintain a 40-50% savings rate.

Looking forward to increasing that and learning as much as possible. Goal to full FIRE is 13 years.

EvenKeeled

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1667 on: October 02, 2014, 10:21:36 PM »
Hi everyone.

I found MMM a few weeks ago, read through (almost) all the posts and some comments (too many to read!), and now I'm reading the forums for ideas, inspiration, and eventually support.

I'm a 55 year old single man with no kids. Currently self-employed but studying online for a new career to make more money. I started this before I found MMM.

I'm naturally pretty frugal...with certain occasional expensive exceptions. Between saving and investing over the years and a recent inheritance I have a pretty nice stash.

I just started tracking my expenses yesterday with YNAB. I'm very curious to see how much I spend in a month! Might be able to retire in about five years.

PeanutUtd

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1668 on: October 03, 2014, 10:19:31 PM »
Have been reading both the forum and the MMM blog for a while. Am a 35 year old Australian living in Singapore. My wife is from the USA and is currently finishing her PhD.

My wife has been frugal the whole time I've known her. So I guess the biggest changes from reading MMM have been mine (taking lunch to work, switching to coffee at home, taking the train to work during the times it is free etc)

We've come to Singapore because of my job and are really enjoying our time here. Saving rate is up from about 5% to around 50%, looking forward to further improvements on that front.

Lost In Space

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1669 on: October 06, 2014, 04:31:41 PM »
 Hi Guys,
 My name is Jeff From Northeast Ohio.
 Ready set GO!!!

nyold

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1670 on: October 07, 2014, 10:04:12 AM »
Hello,

I'm Henry from Boston. I found your blog recently (a month ago or so) and have been reading the forums, but only started creating an account now because I had a question.

As for investing, I've been investing a little bit but I found the forums here to be a treasure trove of information that I'd have to digest slowly.

Kimchi Bleu

• Stubble
« Reply #1671 on: October 07, 2014, 03:58:11 PM »
Hi, I'm Jacqueline from Indiana.  Married with 3 teens, looking to retire in 10 years.

mlinquist

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1672 on: October 07, 2014, 04:09:03 PM »
Hey, my name is Mike,
I'm new to this forum but excited about all I can learn here.

stachdownunder

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1673 on: October 07, 2014, 10:38:44 PM »
Hi my name is Ash,

Im a recent convert- my husband and I had a small personal loan and a mortgage but had been haemorrhaging money for the last 5 years or so- nothing major, just not really getting ahead and accumulating a house full of stuff we don't need.

Since reading MMM we have reassessed where we are at and have some goals in place, looking forward to learning more and creating a better future.

thatbrowncat

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1674 on: October 08, 2014, 02:40:06 AM »
Hi! My name's Nurj, and I'm from the Philippines.

I've been inconsistently following MMM, and I thought how "nice"  articles were.
I really liked the philosophy---even if it seemed hardcore to me.
However, I thought his articles weren't applicable to my situation since I don't live in the United States.
Until I re-read his "Get rich with Bikes" numerous times.

It wasn't until I realized that I wanted to be in a community who were  committed to apply mustachianism in their lives,  did I have the guts to post here.

I wanted to talk with people who wouldn't ridicule me when I tell them "I want to bike to work"
I wanted to talk with people who cared for their financial independence.

...and so here I am :)

Ze-french-architecte

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
  • of course... "Less is More" - Mies van der Rohe
« Reply #1675 on: October 08, 2014, 01:26:54 PM »
Hello moustachians,

I was happily along my plan to a better simpler life when !pow! I lost my job a week ago.

So now I NEED to get badass and frugal to a whole new level real quick 'cause I'm gonna have to rely on 1200 euros per month from now on.
This is why I joined the forum, to get very very concrete advice right from the best bunch.
I could just read and leech info, but it is more polite to say hi...  and I will share on subjects if I have anything useful to add ;)

So I'm not the Architect from the Matrix, nope, sorry to disappoint...
I'm 28, Canadian-American (but haven't spent more that 6 months combined in the USA since my birth, unfortunately) living in France since '06.
Mother of one, step-mother of one, so I have truly made my nest here in La Rochelle (France, west coast style!).

Sounds fun, eh? It is ! We are dirt poor in a very bad economy, but this is a nice place to be just that.

I am an architect, got the papers to proove it and all, got my B.Sc at ULaval, Québec, my Masters in Nantes, France. Have been working in architectural practices for 5 years.
My husband used to be an accountant/external auditor but now owns and works in a restaurant.
We love reading and commenting science magasines, reading in general, history, and politics. Politics are funny/depressing here in France, and is the topic of 50% of intelligent TV shows here (non-intelligent is reality TV, games and stale TV series from the States of course!) so we have endless entertainment right there.
I must say we are the sedentary type, more enclined to eat and drink with friends and take a short walk on the shore, than paddle on the beautiful ocean we have here. This should change because I would love to be a hardcore outdoors girl.

We love our almost 2-year old daugter, love-hate our 15 year old adolescent boy who wants nothing but money from us (it's a phase... he is a good boy somewhere inside that teenager's body of course), and we have a cat, who is just a cat, you know, completely indifferent to us and nowhere near Youtube standards for funny/cute cats.

Voilà! any French expats here ? or expats IN France? Someone who would like advice on travelling ?
anything goes to break the ice !

Cordialement, Emily ze french architecte

iOWNthisBEARD

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Re: hello from beautiful Tennessee!
« Reply #1676 on: October 09, 2014, 09:13:15 PM »
Hey everyone ... Stumbled upon MMM via Reddit, and very thankful I did.  We've gotten a bit reckless over the past few years with our spending habits and finding this forum has really helped me refocus over the past few weeks of lurking.

About Me & My Fam:
I'm 30, my wife is 28.  I'm a high school drop out, started a business about 6 years ago with my wife & I's, life savings of $9,500.  We were "millionaire's" by 26.  We have 2 beautiful children, live in a beautiful part of the country, and are hoping to "retire" early.  We carry no debt outside of a 15 yr note on a rental of ours.  However ~ Spending close to 6 figures a year on "necessities" I would count as reckless.  Its time to button down the hatches!

Can't wait to dive deeper in to MMM! 

Ze-french-architecte

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
  • of course... "Less is More" - Mies van der Rohe
« Reply #1677 on: October 10, 2014, 03:03:28 AM »
Hi Ze-french-architecte, I could write this post in French but it's more polite to do it in English for everyone else.

How low are how into Mustachianism? For me, It’s been 13 months and I can tell you, even if I was pretty much Mustachian by myself before I known that THING, we are now full throttle.

I went to U.L. myself as an Agronomist and I just realized I can live with the same expenses from those student years but we bring home 2 average salaries. Nobody from neighbors or friends could even know about this.

Comment est le climat à La Rochelle comparativement à Québec ?

Avez-vous la possibilité d'offrir de l'hébergement pour les touristes, ça pourrait apporter un revenu d’appoint.

Just keep up reading a lot of the MMM blogpost, biking, training, cooking and investing are the keys.

An alumni !
I have had a friend in UL that was studying agronomy.
Yes indeed keeping the student simple life witha growup paycheck is the best way to never feel pain and loss of puchasing power !
Good for you !
Living in Europe means there is already less waste as in NOrth America so it is challenging to cut back. I have found a house closer to work (10 km less, so 3-4km now for 200 euros more on rent per month, higher taxes too but I think this will still balance to a good move) and I use my car only 4days a week and will reduce that some more if I find daucare closer to our new location.
I will absolutely rent a room, what a good idea ! We don't need the extra bedroom to be empty while we wait for the next addition to the family !
I've only been reading the blog and forum for a month now. I have lots to learn and change in my life.

Future Lazy

• Bristles
« Reply #1678 on: October 10, 2014, 07:42:43 AM »
Hello!

My name is Kayla - I came across MMM from someone on the Bigger Pockets forums, and I'm super grateful that I did. There's a lot of information overload out there, but the MMM blog is a great crash course to get a little information and start into a lot of different things. I found this blog back in July, and I've read the entire thing (mostly while at work, hehe). I'm grateful it's here, since it keeps me from going bonkers day to day thinking I'm alone in the world. It also kept me from spending my emergency fund on a trip to Mexico based on "spend it while you've got it" philosophy. Yay!

About me: I'm 22 and married, I'm going on two years in my first paycheck earning job. I spent the first year paying down debts and acclimating to proper adulthood, but this year I've spent saving as much as I could and taking care of a lot of financial loose ends. I have no debt now, and I've saved up a 6 month emergency fund, and started my own blog to help keep myself on track. Definitely excited to get involved here in the forum and get some answers and more resources!

Thanks for reading, see you out there!

The Architect

• Stubble
« Reply #1679 on: October 10, 2014, 05:36:41 PM »
So I'm not the Architect from the Matrix, nope, sorry to disappoint...
I'm 28, Canadian-American (but haven't spent more that 6 months combined in the USA since my birth, unfortunately) living in France since '06.
Mother of one, step-mother of one, so I have truly made my nest here in La Rochelle (France, west coast style!). ... Have been working in architectural practices for 5 years.

LOL! I'm a 28 year old  American (US) architect who lives near Canada and has 5 years of experience but do not have my license, and yet, I am The Architect!

Anyway, found this site on accident. Discovered it'd fit well with our current, already pretty frugal (but not by the standards here), lifestyle. Working on re-gearing my family's financial life to see if we can make it work.

NatureKnight

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1680 on: October 11, 2014, 11:42:33 AM »
Hello,

I've been reading some MMM for a few months. Finally starting to get serious with saving for retirement and for a house. My husband and I are low- to mid-20s. First kid on the way. I'll stay home with him/her and whatever others we have. Not sure what I will do when they start school.

We're almost done paying off our debt, and almost done with our emergency fund. Then, we'll start trying to get our 20% down payment saved up for, because I hate sharing walls with people.

Still pretty confused on what all we should be doing to save for retirement. My husband likes what he does, so we aren't necessarily shooting for early retirement. That's about it.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2014, 11:44:50 AM by NatureKnight »

flamingo25

• Stubble
« Reply #1681 on: October 11, 2014, 08:42:50 PM »
Hello!

I am a late-twenties woman from the PNW. Been married to my husband for just over 5 years. No kids due to unfortunate fertility issues but considering possibly adopting one day.

We have always been pretty frugal and followed Dave Ramsey's plan since we were dating. We have a decent amount in savings/retirement and we have no debt except a reasonable mortgage.

Goals: Pay off our mortgage within the next 5 years, retire early (not sure of exact date for that yet, still new to this).

I'm a frugal person but still struggle with loving shopping and buying things. I'm realizing that although I tend to buy inexpensive things I still shop too much and buy loads of useless crap. My husband is much better about this. My new thing is going to library when I have the urge to shop. It soothes the craving for "stuff" and everything is free!

I'm just dusting off my bike and am going to try to bike/walk more as much as possible. I don't think I'm going to tackle bike commuting just yet, but my husband might in the semi-near future.

Nice to "meet" all of you!

Cookie

« Reply #1682 on: October 11, 2014, 11:47:48 PM »
Hello everyone!

My husband and I are in our early 20s and while we were both decently frugal our whole lives, we are excited to start learning about how to be even more frugal and start investing our savings! We have no debt and are saving for a down payment on a house when we move back to the States in two years.

Greenroller

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1683 on: October 13, 2014, 12:30:14 AM »
Hello,
Long time lurker coming out of the shadows. Love this site and the sense of community you all have going on around here. Although I feel pretty mustachian I have found myself not being on top of my frugal ways lately. This coupled with my husband hating his job has re-inspired me to try to get us to FIRE sooner. I am 36, DH is 33, and we have 2 kiddos. We live in the suburbs of Denver Colorado. We both have about $200K each saved in 401k, a Roth IRA, and some mutual funds totalling $50K, and  college fund for the kids totalling 200k.  Our focuse has been to get our $300,000.00 home paid down and I am happy to say we have less than $40,000 left on our mortage. No credit card debt and are about $6,000.00 away from having my car paid off. Our annual income is $120,000.00.  I really want to stay motivated but often feel I come down with 'frugal fatigue' and loose the drive to be so frugal. My husband doesnt get exhausted by it all like I do, then again- I am the one who manages all financial aspects of our lives. Anyhow~ I am officially joining in hopes to get more motivation and inspiration.  :P

mancityfan

• Stubble
« Reply #1684 on: October 14, 2014, 10:28:11 AM »
Hi there, I have been reading for several months, but have just started to post. About me:

51 male. Born in the UK but moved over to the US around 26 years ago. I was a nurse at the time. I moved into teaching in the late 90s and now have 15 years in my local school system. I am teaching at a good school.

I am married with 3 children. Ages 15, 17, and 20. The oldest is in college.

Financial goals regarding retirement: I am hoping to retire around 60. My wife is 5 years older and I hope she can retire around 60 also. We make a combined $110-120k a year. We save around 15% of our net income - not very mustachian I know :-). We have had 2 recent windfalls that have significantly helped our NW as a result of inheritances - yes, we are certainly "lucky" as per another current thread. We used this money to pay off our mortgage and invest more. Current NW including house value is around 1.3M.

noexcuses227

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1685 on: October 14, 2014, 04:27:02 PM »
Hi all,

Long time lurker on the "overheard at work" posts. 

37 married to a wonderful lady, we both have mini mustaches due to our frugal lives and Dave Ramsey. Have 3 little mustachians in training.  We thought we were hardcore with having NO Debt (including mortgage) until we found Mr. Money Mustache. 

We both dream of FIRE, I know I will always be doing something to stay active just not digging the work scene.  Have a good paying job now, not a huge fan of going into work for a variety of reasons.

Columbus Ohio

arielcole

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
    • Miss Financial Freedom
« Reply #1686 on: October 14, 2014, 06:02:57 PM »
Hello!

I'm 23, living at my parents house, attempting to pay off my 30k of student debt ASAP.

Love this blog, and this community. It's really inspiring, especially because I come from a family of consumer suckas and car clowns, trying to change that in them too.

-Portland Oregon

AgileTurtle

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1687 on: October 16, 2014, 07:13:13 AM »
Hi
Been reading for a while and decided to jump in and become friends.

Annie_B

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1688 on: October 18, 2014, 10:33:05 AM »
Hi!

I'm 29 and from the UK. FI was a foreign concept to me until a few months ago when I stumbled accross the MMM blog. The more I read the more I realised that I have already been applying many mustachian principles for years... with a bit more work could I just maybe achieve FI one day? Eureka moment!

I still have a lot to learn so my current focus is to gain knowledge about investing so that I can get my savings working harder.

Enjoying the wealth of infomation I'm finding on the blog and forum - thanks to all!

One Day

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1689 on: October 19, 2014, 07:49:22 AM »
Hi!

Another LTL.

33, married with a preschooler and a baby. Been supporting my family for years, with a good job, while my husband finishes his doctorate and training.

MMM has been my nursing and late night reading for months. Thought I was frugal but pale in comparison to many here. I have learned a lot - thanks!

cdnpink

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1690 on: October 19, 2014, 01:07:51 PM »
Hi all,

I am a recent grad in my mid 20's and I have just landed myself my first salaried job! I don't remember how I found MMM but as I start my working life I am very glad that I did! I have been in and out of credit card debt cycles twice in my credit owning history and have vowed that I will never go back there. I am hoping to figure out ways to be a Mustachian career woman, so I joined the forum and hope to learn a whole lot more!

lion9rock

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1691 on: October 20, 2014, 10:45:58 AM »
Hello,

I 'm Adam Tran, I come from Singapore. Now I am a marketer about social media. I submit MMM via reddit.
I have a tool that can help people find facebook ID. If you want it, you can find them at my website (on Signature)
Nice to meet all of you :)

powersuitrecall

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1692 on: October 20, 2014, 01:22:02 PM »
Hi there Mustachians,

I'm Graham, half of a happy couple (me early-40s her mid-30s) with a couple of adorable kids. We live in the frosty North - Ottawa, Canada.

Our goals:  Pay off the mortgage, get our non-RE net worth up enough to check out of the rat race (while enjoying ourselves as much as humanly possible).

Nice to be here!

Cheers!
Graham

sandersmc

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1693 on: October 20, 2014, 08:06:25 PM »
Hello,

I'm an attorney in Madison, WI.  My wife and I are relatively frugal, but a long ways from mustachian.   We've been saving for years but with no real plan.  I found this site in January and have been lurking and learning ever since.  Great information.  Seemed like a good time to join.

senecando

• Bristles
« Reply #1694 on: October 21, 2014, 09:06:54 AM »
Hello,

I'm an attorney in Madison, WI.  My wife and I are relatively frugal, but a long ways from mustachian.   We've been saving for years but with no real plan.  I found this site in January and have been lurking and learning ever since.  Great information.  Seemed like a good time to join.

Heck yes it was a good time to join: http://forum.mrmoneymustache.com/meetups-and-social-events/madison-wi-november-meetup/msg429582/#msg429582

GoodStash BadStache

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1695 on: October 21, 2014, 11:32:13 AM »
Hello all,

I'm Paul, a West Michigan resident.  I'm in my mid-30's, married, and currently have one youngster at home.  After reading up on MMM articles and lurking on the message board for a couple of months I'm finally getting registered to get and give some feedback.

My wife and I have lived a pretty frugal lifestyle and with both of us in technical careers had amassed a pretty significant nest egg.  I hadn't really considered ER until coming across MMM (and some other ER Bloggers) and am looking at ways we might be able to get out of the rat-race sooner.  We don't have a timeline laid out yet, but I think we're moving in the right direction!

subassy

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
  • Tildes are cool!
    • tildesare.cool
« Reply #1696 on: October 21, 2014, 08:16:51 PM »
I just found this website/forum via an extensive money-saving guide for cell phone and other media expenditures (a thread by "I.P. Daily," not sure the section of the forum). Guess I'm doing it a bit backwards since I've read very little of the actual blog as of yet.

I keep getting my hours cut back so I didn't have much choice but to learn to live really frugally/cheaply. I started a spreadsheet to track income versus expenditures, also track via YNAB and just for good measure I take pics receipts (only for things purchased with credit cards) with my phone so I can save/tag in Evernote (pay stubs as well). I think I felt better back before I knew just how much I over-spent.

I am single and I don't have any debt, just a modest savings. The house I rent is cheap for the region/square footage and I'm driving a car from 1997. My work is actually only about 1/3 of a mile from where I live and I own a bicycle but I usually end up driving anyway (for reasons I can explain if someone were really interested).

My main goals right now is to get a secondary job or a new job and to keep living cheaply. I have to say I'm definitely looking forward to exploring the blog/forum and learning what it's all about. That and quitting my Starbucks habit. I don't drink, smoke or have any other vices. Just daily Starbucks. That can add up after a while.

« Last Edit: October 21, 2014, 09:17:08 PM by subassy »

FoundPeace

• Stubble
« Reply #1697 on: October 24, 2014, 05:03:48 AM »
Hi everyone,

My name is Curtis. I have a wife and 2 kids (toddler and a baby). I'm an entry level mechanical engineer and my wife is a SAHM. I want to save up enough money that I can work part time, open my own business with my wife, or become a SAHD while my wife works. I love this philosophy because I no longer have to worry about money and I can see the endless possibilities that this freedom brings.

I've been reading MMM for a few months now and I'm loving it. I've already made a few posts in the forum, but decided it was time to introduce myself.

Looking forward to getting to know everyone!

Mrs. Pomodoro

• Stubble
« Reply #1698 on: October 24, 2014, 06:53:04 PM »
Hi there! Another long time reader and first time poster here. I'm in my early 40's, still working full-time; hubby's in his late 30's and have stopped working for over a year now to take care of our now 2-year-old while working towards his dream of becoming a teacher. I guess he can be considered FIRE'd since our stash is generating more than his share of the expenses. Oh, we also have 2 dogs and 3 cats, making us a big (and mostly) happy family of 8.

We're both brought up by frugal parents so we're pretty good with money in general, always living within our means. I stumbled upon YMOYL, ERE and consequently MMM a few years ago when I was deeply unsatisfied with my previous job. Since then we've worked out that we are able to live on one income and can probably FIRE in a different part of the world right now. My current job is still mildly interesting and quite flexible so I don't mind working a little longer while sorting out the details. Our goal is to FIRE completely in the next 3 or 4 years so we can both pursuit whatever takes our fancy and attempt to homeschool the kiddo.

I'd like to participate in this community more to connect with like-minded people. We are very grateful for the situation we're in, but living in the least remodeled house on the block, (proudly) driving possibly the cheapest car in the company parking lot and turning down family and friends' invitations to fancy vacations do make us wonder if we're doing the right thing from time to time. We're very inspired by what people here have achieved and are motivated to get our act together to make FIRE happen. We've already learned tons from the blog and the forum and look forward to discussing and contributing more!
« Last Edit: October 27, 2014, 12:21:05 PM by Mrs. Pomodoro »

Renaissance man

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1699 on: October 26, 2014, 05:35:48 AM »
Hi,

My name's Jaako, from Sweden but living in London, UK. I'm very new to the idea of living through a frugal approach. Being a 38 year old alcoholic (yes, I share absolutely everything about myself) I've literally messed up the most tasks and people not to speak about my finances so far in life so obviously don't have any savings but instead pointless debts. Since being introduced to AA some 2.5 years ago and having been sober since I've gotten a new life and a whole bunch of awesome changes with the bonus of a great new life and future. Still dealing with the aftermath of the carnage left behind me I've now gotten the answers to my financial problems here at MMM's blog. Just like with my alcoholic condition it was just a matter of acquiring a new perspective on money and my relationship with it, and the key to that change happened here.

Recently started the attack on my credit cards. Have about £5K to clear and then I'm debt free at least. Waiting for an old loan repayment to finish next month (was set up 3 years ago jointly with my ex to clear a £9K credit card debt) in December, so just one more month to go and then I have an extra £150/month going to the last CC.

I'm originally from Sweden but have been living and working in London the past 14 years. Recently divorced with one brilliant 7 year old son (brilliant ex as well I must add). Me and my ex had to live with together for about 3 years after our separation as I was unable to afford another accommodation with my salary at the time. It wasn't so much that I couldn't afford it really, I just spent the money I got non-frugally and couldn't stomach/dare move in to a house share. As I changed out of IT to become a personal trainer some 11 years ago (thinking my work was the problem at the time and hoping it would help me curb my drinking) and then lost most of my established business in the credit crunch 2009 with a two year old son and expensive childcare I decided to get back in to IT for some more stable salary. Needless to stay I had to start at the bottom bracket salary wise but now some 4 years later managed to move in to a slightly better paid job. Also  having shed most of the fears I had been carrying all my life I also found myself just ok with the idea of moving in to a house share and give my ex and myself some well needed space.

So, now with this awesome tool of frugal living I'm more enthusiastic about life and the future than ever. I can actually see myself having the power to stash away a pension and maybe even retire early, without having to rely on whatever government is in force can provide me. My older brother who has a massive mustache, introduced me to the idea of "tiny living" some time ago. Maybe that was actually what started this all for me and led me to MMM's blog, but either way that is my long term plan. I've always dreamed of building my own cottage in the woods and living off the grid, but the tiny house might be just the right transition for me.  Not to speak of that it will cut the cost of living immensely and make whatever pension I've saved work better. Anyway, that's the retirement plan.

The plan I'm trying to carry out for the near future (3-5 years) is to:
- Get rid of existing debts
- Save up enough money to put a down payment for a flat in Sweden (close to my parents and brother, niece and nephews)
- Move to Sweden, stay at my parents until I get a job.
- With the new job and savings get a mortgage for a flat for me and my son
- My son will move to Sweden with me and we'll start yet a new chapter there (ex still doesn't know what she wants to do, she's looking in to possibility of moving to Holland or Canada or somewhere?)

What I've done so far to cut down spending levels and acquire extra cash :

- Renting a room in a house share instead of own flat (£350 all inclusive instead of £700+ incl for a studio or 1 bed flat)

- Started commuting on the bike (20 miles/day) instead of motorbiking - wasn't very frugal with this buy* but cutting down £120/month in petrol + £36/month in insurance + any maintenance £500/year.

- Instead of a gym membership on top of my climbing center membership I started working out in the park for free. Currently 3+ times a week, saving at least £50/month on that.

- Cooking all my food myself now - slow cooker, eggs and frozen fish rules! Dropped food expenses from £250+ to £120
per month or so.

- Bought a little thermos to bring my own coffee and snacks to climbing center instead of buying their coffee. Suggesting walks in parks where i bring coffee and snacks instead of meeting friends in Cafe's. Been a success on all fronts. Saw my friends wife's creations posted on Facebook, out of the chestnuts he ended picking up for her during our walk last time.

- Bought a sewing machine (1901 hand driven Singer, pure beauty) for £30 buying cheap shirts and taking them in myself as well as started making my own Bike rain cape the way I like it as well as learning a new skill which I can hopefully be able to pass on to my son.

- Put my Suzuki Sv1000s 2003 on sale yesterday. Money (£1300+) will go to pay off CC.

- Selling other stuff like motorbike clothes and tools (£300+)

I might have been hasty dropping my Sunday work as Personal Trainer that I kept up after I quit it full time. That was about £200-£300/month extra for just a few hours work every Sunday afternoon, but new IT salary at new job more than makes up for that and not having to stress so much about getting things done during the weekends and feeling bad that I don't give my son enough of myself more and having to drag him to the gym to wait while I train my clients, is more worth it than I can explain. Plus side is that I have an extra skill I can make really good money from on top of regular employed work, whenever I find that i have the extra free time (like when my son gets older and more independent).

Have also started doing Salsa lessons (got a good deal on Groupon though, 11 lessons for £19 instead of £8 per class, saving £69), which might add some new expenses. But having been single for 3+ years it's about time I get out and actually meet some women and I've always wanted to be able to dance properly. Will most likely cancel/freeze my £50/month Climbing center membership for as long as I'm taking lessons. When I get to a club standard I'll just have to pay whatever entrance fees they charge at the Salsa clubs, so can carry on climbing again then. As I don't drink alcohol anymore anyway I only spend about 50p-£1 per lime and soda drink anyway, so when friends want to have a drink they can do the rounds and I pay for my own :) 

There you go. You should at least know who I am now pretty well. I'm now off for a workout in the park doing my standard workout of 5x5-8 Handstand pushups, super setted with 5x3+ Muscleups, followed by 2x10 Hanging leg raises super setted with 2x20 hanging upside down shrugs supersetted with 2x15 dips. And after that I'll go and pick up my son and his best friend take them to the local swimming pool and after that me and my son will take the 4 mile ride home to mine on our bikes. What a brilliant day and it's not even raining!

Oh, and a great thanks to Mr. MMM for all the great posts. I realise it's a bit of a cult thing this place but I figure I'm now of sound enough mind to see it's a good thing for me and I allow it to be what it is and take what I'm comfortable with and leave the rest alone until it makes more sense to me or I can rightfully discard it :)

* Not a very frugal bike purchase. I got stood up when going to buy a second hand bike off ads on our local "Gumtree", second time standing out in the freezing cold with my son for 45 min before giving it up. Got pissed off and decided to build my own "fixie", i.e purchased things on an emotional basis. Bought an old 70's Reynolds 356 frame, had it sand blasted and powder coated and then bought all bike parts separately and built the wheels etc myself. It was an awesome and fun experience but only afterwards did I realise that instead of having acquired a £100-£150 bike I had blown £500-600 on this one and on the credit card of course! Still an awesome bike that takes me well quick to work and anywhere else in London. Roughly 20 miles on the bike on the week days.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!