Author Topic: Say Hi and Introduce Yourself  (Read 3317557 times)

HankERJourney

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Re: Say Hi and Introduce Yourself
« Reply #1350 on: May 26, 2014, 10:23:12 AM »
Hi everyone,
I came here via ERE website, which in itself is a great blog, but reading thru MMM, I noticed a broader community and more practical ideas, so hereby decided to join. I am almost 48, married, no kids, I am more or less FI, still working another 2 years, then ER. Of the 22 years working, I have worked 15 years abroad, in almost every region, so, even though a wage slave, i enjoyed this journey, and I continue to travel once I am ER, but then more slowly, taking my time.
I hope to learn a lot here, and also contribute
cheers, Henk

SondraF

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1351 on: May 27, 2014, 08:49:01 AM »
Hello all!

After passing through this site a number of times over the years, and reading some very interesting threads today, I thought it was time to join the crowd.

I am a 36yr old American, just moved earlier this year to London and am taking a bit of a sabbatical while planning my next moves.  Although I was raised in a frugal household and instilled with a strong work ethic and anti-consumerist viewpoint, I will fully admit that I didn't do quite as well as I could have in the previous 10 years, primarily with CC debt (yes, I know I know).  So I want to get myself back on track and with strong financial goals for myself and the Swedish partner (who is fully on board this lifestyle as well) for the next 10-15 years!

We are good with strict budgeting, known bike commuters, and are well-skilled at making the most out of lentils and reusing leftovers, but once we are both re-employed, it will be time to set investment goals and timelines so we can look forward to early retirement ourselves (no kids either). We sold everything, including the car, to make this move and it has been absolutely liberating. I am hoping this community will be helpful source of information and encouragement along the way!

« Last Edit: May 27, 2014, 09:13:59 AM by SondraF »

MidwestGal

• Stubble
« Reply #1352 on: May 27, 2014, 01:59:29 PM »
Howdy!  I'm a relatively young mustachian-in-training, who unfortunately shaved off my bits of stubble during my younger days.  I've read every single post up till now, and have been trying to get my other half to see the light.  Good luck with your 'staches, all!

mikep

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1353 on: May 28, 2014, 10:18:54 AM »
Hi!  I'm in my late 30's, living in Cincinnati, married with kids.  I found the MMM blog in Jan 2013, and have been an avid reader ever since.  Because of this blog, we now actually track our spending in detail, have cut our annual expenses by more than a third, and have ER in our sights in hopefully just a few years.  After many months of following this forum, I finally decided to sign up and post as well. 

CestMoi

• Stubble
« Reply #1354 on: May 28, 2014, 12:57:20 PM »
Hi,

I'm new to this site and have been enjoying reading the articles and forums, gathering more tips to becoming FI someday soon.

johnlaw

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1355 on: May 29, 2014, 10:56:48 AM »
I am John and hoping to retire in 6 months.

JoJoP

• Bristles
« Reply #1356 on: May 30, 2014, 06:43:19 PM »
Hi, I'm Jill and I live in the San Diego area.   I'm in my early 50's, my husband just hit the big 6-0, so we are among the older crowd around here.  We are financially independent at this point with 12 properties, including 8 rentals and 3 income producing farms.   Our debt was all used to buy the rentals. I haven't had personal debt since I was in my early 20's. Our net worth is more than I ever imagined!   I honestly feel that we have enough... how nice that is!  I'm very, very grateful for my wonderful life!

My goal is to redistribute some things... change the mix a bit... pay off the rental home debt by selling a farm, spend time with the family.   I'd especially like my husband to retire or at least semi-retire, so assisting  that is my main goal now.  He enjoys his work so my task isn't easy.  We are only peach fuzz mustachians.   We are frugal in some ways, extravagant in other ways,  but it's nice to to not have to worry about money or hesitate due to finances.   I work with a flexible schedule as a real estate agent,  after taking 10 years off to be a stay at home mom. 

I learned about MMM via a miles and points travel blog... that is my other hobby... going around the world for pennies!

P1

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1357 on: May 30, 2014, 06:51:50 PM »
Hello all I'm Michael and live in Southern California. 31 and debt free and finally debt free as of about this time last year, but living paycheck to paycheck and starting to rebuild my credit from my younger days. Wasn't even missuse so much as I didn't have any income for along while and charged everything until they cut me off. Anyway got that all paid off last year and am trying to start a new while not young, but hopefully still early enough to retire from the rat race long before my 60s or gasp 70's.

Found this place from bodybuilding.com actually on a thread about investing and decided I'd just read all the threads starting from the beginning. Still in 2011 though so got a long way to go. Hoping to gain knowledge from the site and the forum to start myself on the track to financial independence. To the day when I go to work because I want to, not because I have to. Or just retire all together.

m0nk3y

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1358 on: May 31, 2014, 11:02:05 AM »
Hi, I'm Nick. Long time lurker.

I've got a family of 5 and am transitioning from 4+ years on the road as an IT contractor to a work-from-home job. We've been able to pay down all debts over the past 3 years and buy our first home (20% down, no PMI, paying the loan as if it were a 15 year) and have two paid off cars, soon to be one. Currently building up our emergency fund and some smaller investments, preparing to take advantage of the first 401k match I've ever had.

I've found some great advice here and hope to participate more!

gdgyva

• Stubble
« Reply #1359 on: June 02, 2014, 09:56:56 AM »
hey all

first time to site......

left another site after 4+ years due to bad moderation

anyway....glad to be here

and i'll jump in after i catch up a bit

deragun

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1360 on: June 02, 2014, 01:00:00 PM »
Hello everyone!

My name is Chad.  33 years old, IT (QA manager) in NYC.  I first encountered MMM about a year or so ago from various google searches.  My wife mentioned she had seen references to it on Offbeat Bride about 2 months ago.  That was the real trigger for a major overhaul of our lives, and I thought it was time to post to say hello.

I've finally read through all of the posts (and a good portion of the comments, but certainly not all), and while going through it we have already made MANY life/FI plan changes:

1. Switched to Ting from Verizon
2. Cut food and 'other' expenses in half
3. Found a cheaper ($450 less & nicer!) apt we are moving into on the 15th
4. Going to switch to FIOS internet only in the new apt
5. Haven't even put in the AC units into the windows so far this year (big one for me...AC fiend I used to be)
6. Gone from tracking accts/expenses to actually formulating a real plan for FI (approx 6-7 years to go)
7. And I got my commuter bike yesterday, and already love it

Now that I've graduated from my research phase of Mustachianism, I hope to be an active member, and continue to add to the list of changes above!

roselvin

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1361 on: June 03, 2014, 08:08:43 AM »
Hi everyone. Hope I enjoy this forum. Its been long i was lurking around and i finally decided to register on this forum. So far its been amazing.

Lady from Joppa

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1362 on: June 03, 2014, 09:13:42 AM »
I just joined the forums but have been reading the website for a short while. I can't remember how I found it, maybe through YNAB.

We are a family of 6. My husband is in the military but will soon be getting out due to medical reasons. Our children are 20, 6, 4, and 2.5. I stay home with our younger children and we have homeschooled since 2004. Our oldest took a 1-1/2 off after high school to work before going to college. She will start her 2nd semester at a private college this fall.

From 2002 to 2004 we paid off $26K in credit card debt and have only used a PIF credit card since. We purchased our first house in 2007 with a 30 yr mortgage and refinanced it on a 15 year term in 2012.

We have been using YNAB for taking our spending since July 2013 but last month began using it as intended for budgeting since we know our income will drop once my husband leaves the military. Our future income and his job opportunities once he gets out are uncertain at this time but we are (trying to be) optimistic about the future. At least now we are finally on the same page (sort of) about reducing our monthly expenses to allow us to live on less, save more and live our dream of having a hobby farm and doing some traveling.

Smilo2K

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1363 on: June 03, 2014, 04:09:49 PM »
I've been lurking for about 6 months and finally decided to join.  I really enjoy MMM's enthusiasm and come here often for FI inspiration.  We're on the right track with no cc debt, no car payments, two paid off rental properties in AZ and a low morgtgage on our primary residence here in TX.  Yet there is still so much to improve upon including a 60 mile commute roundtrip to work and becoming better at doing the fixitup stuff ourselves.  Wish me luck ya'll.

jordanread

« Reply #1364 on: June 03, 2014, 05:31:00 PM »
I've been lurking for about 6 months and finally decided to join.  I really enjoy MMM's enthusiasm and come here often for FI inspiration.  We're on the right track with no cc debt, no car payments, two paid off rental properties in AZ and a low morgtgage on our primary residence here in TX.  Yet there is still so much to improve upon including a 60 mile commute roundtrip to work and becoming better at doing the fixitup stuff ourselves.  Wish me luck ya'll.

You don't need luck, you've got this!!!

drunken buddha

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1365 on: June 03, 2014, 06:55:55 PM »
Hello!
Found this place by searching "push fit" Pex fittings, believe it or not! The internet is quite a playground. Will read a bit more before I blab any more though. Much wisdom here!

forestbound

• Bristles
« Reply #1366 on: June 04, 2014, 09:02:17 AM »
Hello Mustachians, I've been lurking for a bit and just saw the "Introduction" thread. So to introduce myself, I am 48 and my SO is 58. We keep everything separate, and that keeps us sane. I run a small design business, with one employee, me. Left my advertising gig 12 years ago and love working for myself. Hope to be FI in 5-10 years, and after finding MMM, I see this as a REAL possibility. More than anything having FI will ease my mind. As for RE... well, I think my name says it all. I hope to disconnect from the electronic leash I am on and go for a hike!

katalyn13

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1367 on: June 04, 2014, 10:52:23 AM »
Hi, I'm Katalyn! I have a lot of student loan debt (unfortunately) so I'm trying to get started with MMM tips as soon as I can!

San

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1368 on: June 04, 2014, 11:38:38 AM »
I've been lurking for a bit, and thought 'well, maybe I should actually make an account.' I'll probably lurk quite a lot more, but still, it's nice to be here and I'm looking forward to meeting some like minded individuals.

Little about me- I live on Long Island, which is an extremely expensive place to live, with my husband and two kids (12 and almost 2). But we do it with room to spare on one full time and one (very) part time combined salary (around 45k a year, combined, which for this area is considered ludicrously low). While a lot of the MMM style stuff we already did, we've implemented new things (like bike riding!) in to our existing routine and it's been great! No debt to work off, but we have less in savings and investments than we'd like, and so we're working toward setting up more avenues of passive income without having both of us working full time jobs.

I work in horticulture (at a nursery, but also writing articles and teaching classes), part time, so that I can be home with our youngest. On the side I also run a small business (making jams and jellies, I mostly sell direct and at fairs). We grow a lot of our own food, build our own stuff and are in the process of renovating a house that has to basically be gutted down to the studs. It's an adventure for sure, but well worth it!

Peasant Foodie

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Hi from Minnesota!
« Reply #1369 on: June 04, 2014, 07:15:13 PM »
Hi, I'm Erin...married with three kids.  We are both back in school doing a career change.  Next step is to find a place to work that is biking distance from home!

Irishtache

• Stubble
« Reply #1370 on: June 05, 2014, 04:51:14 AM »
Hi all.
Like many posters, long time lurker 1st time poster. We are in our early 50s and live, as you may guess from my username, in Ireland. Over the past few years we have endured a recession, huge public sector cuts and, in our own case, large pay cuts in our public service salaries. In addition, our buy to let is not making money, but at least the rent more than covers the interest and so, it's actively contributing to the saving that is the payback of principal. Two of our three kids have finished college and we have only a student loan on one and we can clear that any time we choose. So, all is not bad. We are happy, healthy(ish) have no debt other than the mortgages which we can service and a small car loan that is optional really, just keep it for the insurance that comes with it.

We have had anti-mustachian habits in he past but it never got too far out of hand. We wasted money on caravans, motorhomes etc but we had great holidays with the kids and don't really regret that except for the depreciation! Nowadays, I have to fight my inclination to upgrade the car (we have 2 but my wife adores her 2013 car and I wouldn't begrudge her that). Mine is 4 years old and should last a while longer. [whack-1st face punch]We also love to travel and we cruise as well as land vacation in Europe. I don't believe I will change that because that is what I look forward to most![whack-2nd face punch-ow!]

Anyway, in most other ways we exercise restraint and while not exactly mustachianism, we try to come close. We now lunch mostly at home, saving a lot on eating out in town most days. I have discovered the paleo diet through MMM and am trying to adhere to that. We mostly shop in discount stores, large German grocery chains. They sell rolled oats and bourbon quite cheaply! I don't eat them together!!

Pensions - as we are government employees, we will get defined benefit pensions at 60 yrs, 6.5 years for me and 9.5 for herself. So, we don't have 401s but I calculate my own pension fund value at about €.9million based on 4% withdrawal but of course it will diminish to 50% when I die and vice versa. My wife's is about €.7m. We can't access this or make decisions on investment etc.

So, we have to work a few years more, maybe 4 in my case as there is some scope for early retirement. We will still travel but will try to minimise expenses as much as possible in other areas.

Love the MMM site and check everyday. Keep it up.

Irishtache.

JoyBlogette

• Stubble
    • My Journal
« Reply #1371 on: June 05, 2014, 09:23:44 AM »
Hi!  I'm Joy.  I am a new mom trying to reach FIRE by age 40.

MikePolo4

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1372 on: June 05, 2014, 09:31:49 AM »
Hi I'm Michael. I am in my mid twenties and have spent my last couple years since graduating college maxing out my Roth 401k and Roth IRA. My goal is to reach FI in my mid 30's and I am currently on track, depending on the number of kids my wife and I decide to have. However, I would like to spend the next 30 years after FI running/rebuilding struggling non-profits.

This forum and blog is a great find. As friends are out squandering their wealth, it is great to have a community of examples of how there is long term benefit in being financially savvy and having self-control over your basic instinct to spend all (or more than) you have.

RunningRad

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1373 on: June 05, 2014, 10:12:29 AM »
Hello,
I am Robert and a Rad Runner!
I am 48 and hope to retire in the next 5-7 years.

Ketsia

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1374 on: June 06, 2014, 06:56:48 AM »
Hi :) am Ketsia,

Recently discovered MMM - my bf has been tryina get me to read about finance and other "according-to-me-boring-stuff" that didn't particularly hold my interest a month back. I always would secretly turn the idea down and nod, until he mentioned this one. And now I have to say... MY DAY IS INCOMPLETE WITHOUT.

Have always been quite frugal when it comes to buying clothes or accessories, I do not mind wearing the same stuff or so.
On the other hand I have resorted to comfort foods and drinks when happy or sad. Half my salary would go down and I wouldn't know how! So my biggest achievement so far has been cutting down to nil expenses in that respect and I finally can breathe and not live paycheck to paycheck. Feels way better.

Next step is purchase of bikes. I don't own a car... heck don't even have my licence yet! I wouldn't mind biking my way through anyway. If long distance, public transport will do just fine!!

Happy to be here and learn and grow a mustache. ^_^

southernhippie

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1375 on: June 06, 2014, 08:48:19 AM »
Hi i am Jamie

I am married with one kid on the way due next month.  I have been reading this blog for about 6 months now.  Trying to slowly adapt to the mustachian lifestyle

Frugal Father

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1376 on: June 06, 2014, 11:24:29 AM »
Hey all. My name is Jeff and my wife and I just graduated from college a year ago and are welcoming our first child towards the end of summer. Like many, we're long-time lurkers of MMM. Looking forward to meeting everyone!

Datastache

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1377 on: June 07, 2014, 12:41:37 PM »
Hello, all! Glad I finally got around to registering here - I don't remember how I first stumbled across the MMM site, but I've been a big fan ever since. I suspect my story is quite different from many of yours, as are some of my priorities, but I do have an unabashed love of enjoying a frugal lifestyle. Currently single, in my mid-20s, subsisting on about $20k from a job that brings me deep joy. I don't know whether I'll be able to retire early...but I take pleasure in knowing that my net worth is always climbing, slowly but surely.

Conjou

• Stubble
« Reply #1378 on: June 08, 2014, 08:05:24 AM »
Greetings, highly favored ones. I am Conjou, a gravel-grinding, bikepacking, simply-living nutcase from the northern plains. Thanks to everyone here for striving to live with purpose and intention!

Catomi

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1379 on: June 09, 2014, 07:45:04 PM »
Hi. I'm Catomi. I'm married with two small children, and Other Half and I are gradually working out the logistics of our financial goals, including what we want to teach our kids. With luck and some sweat equity that will include moving somewhere we can grow much of our own food. I can't remember where I first found MMM, but I've been browsing and soaking up ideas for a couple of months now. The idea of early retirement still sounds far fetched (probably partly because I'm on the hook until the littles are independent), but I love the idea of financial independence. And I'm always in favor of badassity.

Jordan

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1380 on: June 10, 2014, 10:56:38 AM »
Jordan, just turned 27, my wife and I have a one-year old son and plan to have a few more. We live in the Salt Lake City area but are working hard to get back to Boise, ID where we both grew up. No debt, working our way to FI in 15 years or less. Taking a few small risks on real estate to try and expedite the process.

jordanread

« Reply #1381 on: June 10, 2014, 12:17:47 PM »
Jordan, just turned 27, my wife and I have a one-year old son and plan to have a few more. We live in the Salt Lake City area but are working hard to get back to Boise, ID where we both grew up. No debt, working our way to FI in 15 years or less. Taking a few small risks on real estate to try and expedite the process.

Welcome...also, Great Name!!

teeej

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1382 on: June 10, 2014, 04:41:38 PM »
Wow.  Many people signing up every day!

I'm Tyler and started reading this blog a couple months ago.  I'm a teacher, partners with a Neurology resident and targeting retirement in 9 years. 

Definitely the biggest challenge right now is communicating different ideas about retirement with my partner.  Her reading the blog is helping...

fastrex

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1383 on: June 10, 2014, 04:45:57 PM »
I just came across this site from MW.  So happy to find so many great like minded folks.

I started saving and investing in 1992 at the age of 27. All of the money has been in stock and in index funds when possible. At 49 years old  i am in the home stretch. Just reached $1.1 MM in the 401k and have saved another $300k for college for the two kids (13 and 12 years old).

My dream for over twenty years was to retire early and have every day to be like the first day of summer vacation. I am very fortunate to have a wife that is frugal and does not care about "stuff" just family and friends and things that matter. I am an engineer and a gear head. All the work on my house and my cars is done by me. I bought a small 1300 square foot ranch and completely rebuilt it but kept it the same size.

I really thought i was alone. Its awesome to have found MMM!

eccdogg

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1384 on: June 10, 2014, 06:23:34 PM »
Hi long time lurker and decided to register today.  Love the tips on this site and trying to go from Middle Class to Kick Ass.

socalwkr

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1385 on: June 10, 2014, 08:42:44 PM »
Hi everyone!  Been working on eliminating our debt and stumbled upon MMM via getrichslowly that I try to read when I have time.  Two young kids and husband who is a teacher.  Getting close on eliminating most debt besides mortgage and a student loan (1.3%).  Want to be able to work part-time with more flexibility.  One thing I haven't seen a lot of discussion on here is the staggering childcare costs.  We pay about $2k per month (high cola).  Guess we are just kind of screwed that we don't really have family that lives near us. 

Lyssa

• Bristles
« Reply #1386 on: June 11, 2014, 01:34:04 AM »
Hi,

another long time lurker, first time poster here.

I'm from Germany, 32 years old, unmarried, living with my partner, no kids so far, working in Biglaw (U.S. firm, German office) and I found MMM through the bogleheads forum. We're aiming to be FI in 5-10 years (mostly depending on if we decide to have kids or not).

Mustachian aspects of our live: a 15 year old Nissan which is going to go within the next weeks and not going to be replaced, living very close to my place of work, 2,5 room apartment, moderate spending habit combined with high income (not quite mustachian yet), no expensive hobbies, no expensive club habit.

Non-mustachian aspects of our live: I'm out for lunch on almost all of my workdays, office attire for me, long commute of my partner (by train, "clown-train-commute"?), amazon (hardcover books and DVDs mostly).

Looking forward to take part in this wonderful place!

L.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2014, 08:29:12 AM by Lyssa »

ephillipsme

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1387 on: June 11, 2014, 07:47:29 AM »
HI,

I just recently found MMM.  Name is Ernie and I'm 44,  We have 2 kids and have lived a non hyper-consumerism lifestyle.  One car payment and only 7 year left on the mortgage with a nice amount in savings and retirement.  But i am looking to up this and be FI by age 50.  Big concern is college for the kids and how to provide for my kids and not saddle them with debt. 

Sabar

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1388 on: June 11, 2014, 12:02:25 PM »
Hi all,

I'm Sabar and I currently reside up here in the great-white-North..  I've browsed the forums discretely for a little while now, applying some concepts but not really being overly serious about things.  30 years old, as is my wife, with one car payment, one car owned outright, and a house that's about a 1/4 of the way paid off.  I now have a young one on the way and it's made me come to the realization that if I get things going in the right direction now, it'll (hopefully) make the dream of FI much more attainable in the future, thereby making our lives that much more comfortable as well!

Sabar

AssetGrinder

• Stubble
    • Asset-Grinder Finance Blog
« Reply #1389 on: June 11, 2014, 01:02:20 PM »
Aloha! You can call me Grinder but not Ass Grinder!

I am a late 30,s male living in Victoria BC Canada with my wife and two kids. I have been a long time entrepreneur whatever that means. As I get older and wiser I have been hunkering down on my finances and setting forth a plan to preserve  and grow my capital of 2 million. Gone are most of my material pointless possessions as they are restricting me from my own freedom. Been lurking on many forums and sites and figured I should finally sign up. Recently started my own blog at http://asset-grinder.blogspot.ca/ There I blog about my portfolio investments, expenses, net worth, dividend growth stocks and a few random things. I one day want to conquer the world but I am not in a rush right now.

My unconventional life story which involves hard labor, drug dealing, tragedy, real estate , stocks and drama is too long too put here so here is a link to it http://asset-grinder.blogspot.ca/2014/06/my-investment-and-life-story-proper.html

Anyways I am happy to be here on this great positive forum and I am looking to positively add to its great base of people and information.

msangi

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1390 on: June 11, 2014, 02:33:19 PM »
Hi, I'm Mario. I am a 27 years old Italian guy. I moved to London this January and I'd like to try to find a way to improve the way I manage my money and get inspired by your achievements

daveydinner

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1391 on: June 11, 2014, 03:29:37 PM »
Hi I'm Dave,

I'm 29 and work at a goovy bicycle manufacturer, but don't get paid much. Just discovered MMM, but have been living a very low key lifestyle with my wife since college. We both bike to work (and I work in the industry so don't spend much), make our food and diligently save. There is still a lot to learn here though!

TexasAggie

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1392 on: June 11, 2014, 06:54:04 PM »
Hey everybody,

I'm 48.  My wife is 47.  We've been married 21 years.  Three kids.  I've got a good job but too little time freedom.  A friend told me about MMM a couple of weeks ago.  Three days ago I made the mistake of listening to a podcast and reading the blog.  My life will never be the same.  Neither will my wife's.  We're already planning our 5-year plan to exit the rat race.  I only wish I had known about this years earlier.

We already had done some things right and made some good choices before we found MMM, but this is about to get really interesting.  I've already quit using the toll road on my commute to and from work, minimizing how much gas I burn on the commute, brownbagging it to work, canceling stuff like Hulu that I don't care that much about, cutting out the daily Starbucks and brewing my coffee at home, and selling our RV on ebay.  That's just after three days!

I'm looking forward to meeting you all and learning as much as I can.

TexasAggie
« Last Edit: June 11, 2014, 06:58:56 PM by TexasAggie »

Middlesbrough

• Bristles
« Reply #1393 on: June 11, 2014, 10:14:02 PM »
I am a recent graduate from college as a engineer. I would say I have been a relatively frugal person trying to minimize debt. I have student loan debt, but that is all. I rent in "the bad neighborhood" so I am able to walk to work. I really was modeling my lifestyle to be more European after an internship there over the summer.

I have been following the the mustache for only a short time, but had most of the principles before finding out a name for it. I still own a clown car, buy weekly cups of coffee, and eat out way too often. I had the idea about early retirement, but didn't have a lot of support on the mechanics and math behind it (note all the horrible retirement calculators out there). I have realized I was just trying to grow my financial mustache (because I definitely can't grow a real one!) and attempt badassity.

Since finding this site, it has provided learning opportunities, liked minded folks, and motivation to save in new ways.

I get harassed by my boss who can't figure out where I spend most of my money (spoiler, I don't). I have a early 2000's car that I only put about 5k miles per year on (trips to the parents and vacation), live in "the bad neighborhood", and don't have a huge house already on the 30 year plan.

I am just happy to have found some support because I am running out of ways to explain my lifestyle. Now that I type that, I already feel better!

Ethernet

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1394 on: June 11, 2014, 11:33:02 PM »
Hey all,

17 year old, working a summer job at walmart. Currently saving 50% of my income, hoping to get out of the required working world as soon as possible.

Nice to find a group of seemingly like-minded people.

NinetyFour

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #1395 on: June 12, 2014, 07:36:41 AM »
I've already quit using the toll road on my commute to and from work, minimizing how much gas I burn on the commute, brownbagging it to work, canceling stuff like Hulu that I don't care that much about, cutting out the daily Starbucks and brewing my coffee at home, and selling our RV on ebay.  That's just after three days!

Wow--awesome changes in a really short time!!  You will really enjoy seeing the results in your investment accounts!

WorkingToBeFIREd

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1396 on: June 12, 2014, 08:30:29 AM »
Greetings MMMers...after reading all the blog posts from the beginning (and self-administering a large amount of face punches), I thought it was time to register and share ideas with like-minded Mustachians.  I still have a lot of areas to improve, and looking forward to input and feedback from more senior members.  As a first start, I dragged our bicycles out of the basement, tuned them up, and have been using them for as many short in-town trips as I can get away with...forgot how much fun riding a bike can be!

I've probably got a few more years before I can pull the pin, and we've got my wife planned on a four year trajectory....being FIRE'd at the age of 45 and 43 respectively sounds good about now, and we're both of the mindset we need to play good offense and defense over the next few years to make it happen.

Anyway, hi to all, and look forward to learning more on my path to becoming a Mustachian Jedi.  :)
« Last Edit: June 12, 2014, 08:32:20 AM by WorkingToBeFIREd »

jordanread

« Reply #1397 on: June 12, 2014, 09:19:36 AM »
[...]
I rent in "the bad neighborhood" so I am able to walk to work.
[...]

Awesome perspective. I feel the same way about my neighborhood.

JodyGirl

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
  • FindingFinancialFitness
« Reply #1398 on: June 12, 2014, 11:40:04 AM »
Hi.  I'm Jody and I just joined today. I'm 51 and a recently divorced single mom.  As is common, our marriage ended over money troubles among other things.  I'm eager to learn about money matters and especially to learn about making up for lost time.  I have lots of questions!  We live in Minnesota for now.  I have two sons, 11 and 15.  We just purchased some high quality used bikes and we are psyched about that!  I think our bike purchase says a lot about how I view money matters.   I don't like throwing good money after bad.  I'll spend more where it counts and if can help me save elsewhere (bikes are for pleasure and practical uses) and scrimp where it matters less to me---we buy thrift store clothing and household items all the time and still manage to look like we live in this decade!  One very bad oscar habit is eating out.  Gotta work on that one! 

NinetyFour

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #1399 on: June 12, 2014, 11:58:32 AM »
Welcome JodyGirl!

If you track your spending for a couple of months, seeing what you spend on the eating out habit might be eye-opening.  In any case, I have found tracking my spending to be fun--and quite informative!

Have fun with the bikes!

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!