Author Topic: Say Hi and Introduce Yourself  (Read 3321408 times)

sisto

• Handlebar Stache
Re: Say Hi and Introduce Yourself
« Reply #4250 on: October 17, 2021, 08:06:31 PM »
Hello Everyone,

I'm Rhian, a frequenter of Mr. MM while dreaming the (seemingly) impossible dream of FIRE. [Brief aside, comparison IS truly the thief of joy.] I finally achieved my goal after years of angst ...completing hundreds of calculations, and reading countless books/blogs/posts. I'm still in awe of myself, I formulated a plan and then executed it!

My colleague in arms, Eric, may he rest in peace, at the beginning of 2021 urged me to utilize FMLA, as he was doing, instead of quitting/retiring. I left for the UK in May to spend five months with my 93-yr old dad. The month prior, Eric passed away from COVID.

I've already blown my financial budget - purchased a used car in the UK so I could visit people and places which were important to me. Regardless, I'm prepared to deal with the consequences - I'll cinch my financial belt and get a part-time job if needed. At least I'm Mistress of my Destiny.

Thank you for reading my post. Good luck, health and fortune to you all.
Very sorry for your loss! I hope you are able to remain free, but glad you know how to get back on track if you need to. As you said, you are in charge.

LobsterLuke

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #4251 on: November 02, 2021, 06:24:23 AM »
Hey everyone!

I'm pretty stoked to finally join the forums and talk to you all. I've been exploring the different forum sections and there seems to be such a wealth of good discussion and helpful information here.

If FIRE is a journey, I've basically just left my front door. I became debt free this summer and have been building an emergency fund as I finish up my degree. Like a lot of folks, I wish I'd found this community earlier, but I'm still really glad I'm learning this stuff in my twenties!

Anyway, I'm excited to jump into the discussions here, and if anyone's in the North Texas area I'd love to grab coffee and discuss all things mustachian.

Mr.Vogel

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #4252 on: November 16, 2021, 04:31:24 AM »
Hi everyone!
I`m Sami a 34 year old bank guy from the southwest of Germany.

I read a lot of blogs and other stuff on the subject of FI. I was fascinated from the start and started my own journey maybe 4 years ago. At the beginning not with that much effort, but my frugality muscle and mustache kept on growing.
Aside from that I didn’t found the right speaker or community where I felt home and that i fit in.
Typically german most places were full of negativity and just arguing about nonsense details. Here I felt the warming positive look on FI and the world itself.

The funny thing is, a clown car broad me to the idea of FI. When I was younger and dreamed about a nice Audi and was very frustrated about the fact how long you have to work a save for it.
Even more devasted, when I saw how much money would go to interest when bought with a credit.
So my savings journey and investing in fonds and stocks began over 9 years ago, just with an other goal that I wanted to reach.

I don’t want to put to much in my first post and looking forward to give some more details of my journey later to whom is interested.

As you may see, my english is not the best, but through this community I want to improve it more and more.
So I am happy to be here and thanks to all the storys and tips that I already got from you. =)

stoaX

• Handlebar Stache
  • 'tis nothing good nor bad but thinking makes it so
« Reply #4253 on: November 16, 2021, 05:21:05 AM »
Hi everyone!
I`m Sami a 34 year old bank guy from the southwest of Germany.

I read a lot of blogs and other stuff on the subject of FI. I was fascinated from the start and started my own journey maybe 4 years ago. At the beginning not with that much effort, but my frugality muscle and mustache kept on growing.
Aside from that I didn’t found the right speaker or community where I felt home and that i fit in.
Typically german most places were full of negativity and just arguing about nonsense details. Here I felt the warming positive look on FI and the world itself.

The funny thing is, a clown car broad me to the idea of FI. When I was younger and dreamed about a nice Audi and was very frustrated about the fact how long you have to work a save for it.
Even more devasted, when I saw how much money would go to interest when bought with a credit.
So my savings journey and investing in fonds and stocks began over 9 years ago, just with an other goal that I wanted to reach.

I don’t want to put to much in my first post and looking forward to give some more details of my journey later to whom is interested.

As you may see, my english is not the best, but through this community I want to improve it more and more.
So I am happy to be here and thanks to all the storys and tips that I already got from you. =)

I hope all us mustachians keep in mind your comment: "Here I felt the warming positive look on FI and the world itself."

Welcome aboard!

stoaX

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4254 on: November 16, 2021, 05:23:45 AM »
Hey everyone!

I'm pretty stoked to finally join the forums and talk to you all. I've been exploring the different forum sections and there seems to be such a wealth of good discussion and helpful information here.

If FIRE is a journey, I've basically just left my front door. I became debt free this summer and have been building an emergency fund as I finish up my degree. Like a lot of folks, I wish I'd found this community earlier, but I'm still really glad I'm learning this stuff in my twenties!

Anyway, I'm excited to jump into the discussions here, and if anyone's in the North Texas area I'd love to grab coffee and discuss all things mustachian.

Sounds like you are off to a great start - welcome to the forum!

CTEC_Stache

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #4255 on: November 23, 2021, 01:38:32 PM »
Greetings,

I've been following and reading a lot of the threads here over the last couple of months and decided I should finally introduce myself.

I am a 31 year old teacher at a public high school in the midwest. My wife is 32 and has made the transition to a SAHM with the birth of our son.

I am extremely fortunate, blessed, lucky (however you want to say it) that I am in a state with a very well funded pension system for teachers. But, I don't want to rely entirely on that pension as we all know what has happened to these types of funds over the years.

I have spent the last 4 or 5 years trying to invest additional money. I started this by enrolling in my district's 403(b) program, then opening a taxable brokerage account, and finally a Roth IRA (I kind of took the wrong path but got to where I need to be nonetheless). At the same time, over the last 4 years I have worked to increase my earning potential by earning my Master's degree and an additional state certification.

It has been rather slow going at the start here due to starting at nothing, attacking student loan debt while investing, and paying large sums of money to colleges to increase my earning potential. However, I am so excited to finally be done with schooling and looking to accept a new career in education in the coming months which will likely bring a pay increase to the tune of 30%. I can't wait to see what happens when I can get this snowball rolling!

RWTL

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #4256 on: November 29, 2021, 03:44:28 AM »
Greetings,

I've been following and reading a lot of the threads here over the last couple of months and decided I should finally introduce myself.

I am a 31 year old teacher at a public high school in the midwest. My wife is 32 and has made the transition to a SAHM with the birth of our son.

I am extremely fortunate, blessed, lucky (however you want to say it) that I am in a state with a very well funded pension system for teachers. But, I don't want to rely entirely on that pension as we all know what has happened to these types of funds over the years.

I have spent the last 4 or 5 years trying to invest additional money. I started this by enrolling in my district's 403(b) program, then opening a taxable brokerage account, and finally a Roth IRA (I kind of took the wrong path but got to where I need to be nonetheless). At the same time, over the last 4 years I have worked to increase my earning potential by earning my Master's degree and an additional state certification.

It has been rather slow going at the start here due to starting at nothing, attacking student loan debt while investing, and paying large sums of money to colleges to increase my earning potential. However, I am so excited to finally be done with schooling and looking to accept a new career in education in the coming months which will likely bring a pay increase to the tune of 30%. I can't wait to see what happens when I can get this snowball rolling!

Congrats on getting to this point.  Sounds like you've made some really good decisions.  Welcome to the team.

DaTrill

• Bristles
« Reply #4257 on: November 30, 2021, 07:07:06 PM »
Long time follower of "Millionaire Next Door" and recently discovered MMM forums.  Most of my background is in a wide range of fields involving financial services, statistical analysis along with former careers in sales and hard sciences.  I'm mainly here to learn of ACA and healthcare hacks as I will be leaving full time work soon and have no experience in the ACA arena. 

General background = low spend, high savings, many intermittent work release episodes, grind most if not all financial hacks (front load, low expense, tax efficient investing, almost to a fault).  Probably don't need to hack every expense at this point, but this is a habit and not something I can easily turn off. 

Gen X, SWR 1% or lower depending on market returns, location and car ownership.     

MMM User

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #4258 on: December 08, 2021, 03:42:24 PM »
I am 43 male, single, no kids. Looking to F.I.R.E between 55-60.

FerrariFire

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #4259 on: December 13, 2021, 11:12:58 PM »
Hi everyone, roughly 50 year old Australian here.
Just over 4 years ago I stumbled across MMM and it blew my mind. I became completely infatuated with FIRE. I spent hundreds of hours reading the articles, reading the forum, listening to podcasts, crunching numbers, making investments and setting goals to reach FIRE. I was driven, I was impatient, and I was enthusiastic!

Last week I left a very difficult job and retired. Thank you to MMM and everyone who contributes to the site, it changed my life for the better.

CTEC_Stache

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #4260 on: December 14, 2021, 07:47:21 AM »
Greetings,

Congrats on getting to this point.  Sounds like you've made some really good decisions.  Welcome to the team.

Thank you!

Quick update, I will be starting a new job July 1st in the same school district I am currently employed. It comes with a 21% raise, not as high as I was hoping for, but definitely significant!

soheil

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #4261 on: December 21, 2021, 11:07:02 AM »
Hi everyone!

I'm a software engineer in SV worked at Twitter/self-driving cars, founded a couple of startups, etc. I always knew about MM, but only recently got to actually signing up on the forum. I've always enjoyed SMF forum by the way since the very beginning, it has been my go to forum software every time I created a site around a topic with a forum on it. Sad the internet is moving to likes of Reddit and centralized forums.

Great to be here and would love to learn more about others who also recently joined. Let's keep pinching every penny!

swaneesr

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #4262 on: January 04, 2022, 02:50:26 PM »
Hello everyone.

I have been lurking here for years. Lots of good advice to follow and voices to learn from.

Me 55M. Engineer.

DW 53F Nurse.

Live in northern US. I hang out here to gain knowledge from the rest of you and to dampen my spendy pants nature.

SwaneSR

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

goat_music_generator

• Bristles
« Reply #4263 on: January 05, 2022, 07:53:44 PM »
Hi everyone!

I'm a software engineer in SV worked at Twitter/self-driving cars, founded a couple of startups, etc. I always knew about MM, but only recently got to actually signing up on the forum. I've always enjoyed SMF forum by the way since the very beginning, it has been my go to forum software every time I created a site around a topic with a forum on it. Sad the internet is moving to likes of Reddit and centralized forums.

Great to be here and would love to learn more about others who also recently joined. Let's keep pinching every penny!

OMG!! I was just browsing the introductions thread randomly and realized... we have met IRL :-) We used to work at the same company.

Good to see you around!

JupiterGreen

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #4264 on: January 17, 2022, 11:42:56 AM »
Hello everyone,
I've been reading MMM since about 2013 but just getting involved in the forums now. My partner and I work in higher education. We are spending 2022 getting our budget in order so we can have a solid escape plan. We had a bad 2021 with regards to budgets. Anyway, we're hoping to learn more about budgets (is there a place where people post their budgets?) as well as technical financial stuff about taxes and withdrawals etc. It's very nice to be here.

stoaX

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4265 on: January 19, 2022, 04:59:53 AM »
Hello everyone,
I've been reading MMM since about 2013 but just getting involved in the forums now. My partner and I work in higher education. We are spending 2022 getting our budget in order so we can have a solid escape plan. We had a bad 2021 with regards to budgets. Anyway, we're hoping to learn more about budgets (is there a place where people post their budgets?) as well as technical financial stuff about taxes and withdrawals etc. It's very nice to be here.
Welcome. Check out the case studies topic for budgeting advice.

JupiterGreen

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #4266 on: January 19, 2022, 05:37:27 AM »

[/quote]
Welcome. Check out the case studies topic for budgeting advice.
[/quote]
Thank you!

Jhaluvai

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #4267 on: February 09, 2022, 12:56:09 AM »
Hi everyone, I'm relatively new to the MMM community (just found out about it from a book). Im 22, about to graduate from UCI with a Bachelors in Psychology, and aiming to be certified as an associate Professional in Human Resources (aPHR Certification). Hoping to land my first career job around July-ish with at least a 40k starting salary, and investing 90% of my income (I don't have many bills to pay since I'm still living with parents). I aim to be financially independent as soon as possible, and spend the rest of my life with the woman I love not having to worry about working the rest of my life slugging away for the man. I'd love some advice as someone who's so young and quite honestly naive to the field of FIRE.

Edit: My ideal FIRE situation would be living off of dividends equal to about 3k-4k a month within 10 years. (Please knock me down a peg if you think this is unreasonable!)
« Last Edit: February 09, 2022, 01:10:23 AM by Jhaluvai »

Seamster

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #4268 on: February 10, 2022, 02:03:57 PM »
Hello.  Been signed up for over 2 years but can't post because I don't know what the the sixth word in the first blog post entitled "Meet Mr. Money Mustache."  It could be any number of words:

retired, money, do, we, we're...none work.  It has to be broken or a trick question

Can someone tell me what this sixth word is and how you found it? 

You, you there.  You just signed up.  Your post is going to be below mine.  What's the sixth word?  Thanks!
« Last Edit: February 10, 2022, 02:30:34 PM by Seamster »

stoaX

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4269 on: February 11, 2022, 04:53:36 AM »
Hi everyone, I'm relatively new to the MMM community (just found out about it from a book). Im 22, about to graduate from UCI with a Bachelors in Psychology, and aiming to be certified as an associate Professional in Human Resources (aPHR Certification). Hoping to land my first career job around July-ish with at least a 40k starting salary, and investing 90% of my income (I don't have many bills to pay since I'm still living with parents). I aim to be financially independent as soon as possible, and spend the rest of my life with the woman I love not having to worry about working the rest of my life slugging away for the man. I'd love some advice as someone who's so young and quite honestly naive to the field of FIRE.

Edit: My ideal FIRE situation would be living off of dividends equal to about 3k-4k a month within 10 years. (Please knock me down a peg if you think this is unreasonable!)

Welcome!  The only advice I have for you is really just an observation:. I have never said. "I wish I would've spent more in the past" and I don't think my past high savings rate made me feel deprived in any way. 

uniwelder

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4270 on: February 11, 2022, 05:55:52 AM »
Hello.  Been signed up for over 2 years but can't post because I don't know what the the sixth word in the first blog post entitled "Meet Mr. Money Mustache."  It could be any number of words:

retired, money, do, we, we're...none work.  It has to be broken or a trick question

Can someone tell me what this sixth word is and how you found it? 

You, you there.  You just signed up.  Your post is going to be below mine.  What's the sixth word?  Thanks!

Sorry, I would have thought it would be 'do'.  Its been too long since I've had to verify for postings.  If you try posting again, do you get another verification question or does it keep coming back to the same one? 

I'll send this on to a moderator.  Maybe they can help you.

Seamster

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #4271 on: February 11, 2022, 08:51:30 AM »
Thanks. "Retired" just worked, allowing me to post this one, but I think there is some sort of glitch because "retired" did not work yesterday.  Plus, from what I've read Googling trying to sign up over the past year (I didn't try that hard), the answer is like, totally obvious after you sit and think about it for a few minutes.  But, "retired" isn't obvious, it's one of a few possible answers.  I would think "do" because the title is part of the blog post, but either way, neither is "kind of obvious."  I'll try to post my first post now and see what happens.....it worked.  "Retired" is definitely the word.  Mods will probably want me to remove this because the question should be hard. I mean, it wasn't that hard but it wasn't working so it wasn't possible. 
« Last Edit: February 11, 2022, 09:18:29 AM by Seamster »

niran

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #4272 on: February 13, 2022, 04:49:35 PM »
I am 42 male, married, kid on the way. Looking to FIRE between 49-50.

Virtus3

• Stubble
« Reply #4273 on: February 14, 2022, 08:38:26 AM »
I am 42 male, married, kid on the way. Looking to FIRE between 49-50.

Welcome and congrats on the little one!

JamBaguettes

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #4274 on: February 18, 2022, 03:59:29 PM »
Hi! I’m smarshall. I discovered FI about a year ago and became an MMM adherent shortly thereafter. I’m 27 and currently an engineer. My goal is to take the journey to FI intentionally while making time to be outside and stay healthy and active. I’ve been a forum lurker for about a month, it feels like time to participate!

wellyFIRE

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #4275 on: March 06, 2022, 03:51:09 PM »
Hello! I've just joined the forums after reading the blog for a few months. I'm married, 35, high earner but living in a VHCOL area. We are trying as a household to create more savings, downshift away from spending as much as we can, and possible move to a lower cost of living area in the next few years. I like my job but it would be nice to not "have" to work/work for pleasure rather than to live.

acertainben

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #4276 on: March 14, 2022, 06:20:30 PM »
Hello there,

My name is Ben and I'm a longtime MMM reader but just now venturing into the forum.

I've been working toward FI for about 7 years now, which was when I first stumbled onto this site. I'm 35, married, and a homeowner with no other debt.

I work as a video editor for a non-profit in Ohio (so I don't have a great salary), but I've been able to get closer to my goals through side-hustles and investing. I'm willing to do whatever it takes to achieve true freedom as soon as possible.

I can't really relate to a lot of people out there in the real world since none of my friends are into FIRE, so hope to be part of this community.

« Last Edit: March 14, 2022, 06:42:17 PM by acertainben »

kathmac2

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #4277 on: March 22, 2022, 08:38:16 AM »
Hi! I'm Kathy,

I'm currently a grad student studying software development. Always wanted to get into finance but never had the material or push to do so.

shureShote

• Stubble
« Reply #4278 on: April 02, 2022, 02:02:40 PM »
I have been reading for years, figured it was time to tap a post out now and then. I believe in super simple investing and fairly simple living.

stoaX

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4279 on: April 02, 2022, 05:33:50 PM »
I have been reading for years, figured it was time to tap a post out now and then. I believe in super simple investing and fairly simple living.

I can relate.  Simplifying my finances and my life are goals I have now that I am FIRE'D.

ALLTHAT

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #4280 on: April 12, 2022, 01:29:20 PM »
Hell folks!!!!

Starting my FIRE journey now, though I have been investing for  a little while I have been investing in stocks. I currently have over 500K in stocks, over 700K in 401k, and a pension lined up.
Just getting my wife onboard, though it has been a struggle getting her here.
I am looking at retiring in about 5-6 years hen I am 55/56. My wife is looking for another 10 years.
We currently live in the Washington DC metro area, but looking to leave soon.
I am looking to convert a van into a camper to start traveling in a few years to find a new homebase and see the world.
I have a crazy idea to help get me there. but we will see

RWTL

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #4281 on: April 12, 2022, 04:16:17 PM »
Hell folks!!!!

Starting my FIRE journey now, though I have been investing for  a little while I have been investing in stocks. I currently have over 500K in stocks, over 700K in 401k, and a pension lined up.
Just getting my wife onboard, though it has been a struggle getting her here.
I am looking at retiring in about 5-6 years hen I am 55/56. My wife is looking for another 10 years.
We currently live in the Washington DC metro area, but looking to leave soon.
I am looking to convert a van into a camper to start traveling in a few years to find a new homebase and see the world.
I have a crazy idea to help get me there. but we will see

Welcome ALLTHAT!

rocks_and_space

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #4282 on: April 26, 2022, 12:01:01 AM »
Hello! I'm Derek, I've known about FIRE+MMM for a half decade now, and it really resonated with me as someone who wants to decouple happiness and spending. I'm 29 now, planning on FI somewhere between 35-40 with my wife being fully FIRE in the next few years (we'll have to see how the possibility of kids changes our financial equation). Recently I attended Camp Mustache Midwest and got connected to more people in the FIRE community, so I'm letting all the conversations I had percolate into some lifestyle changes, one of which is finally joining this forum.

Looking forward to interacting with you folks.

stoaX

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4283 on: April 28, 2022, 05:40:16 PM »
decouple happiness and spending

Nice phrase!

Brit71

• Stubble
« Reply #4284 on: May 04, 2022, 06:49:59 AM »
Should say hello, as I've got a journal here:

https://forum.mrmoneymustache.com/journals/(uk)-older-very-gradual-fire/50/

British, married, 50 years old.  Yesterday I realised with a shock that even at my current level of spending that we could retire now.  Possibly. Maybe.

But really not ready, so see the excuses pile on in my journal.

OrangePill

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
  • Choose monetary sovereignty
« Reply #4285 on: May 10, 2022, 04:06:46 PM »
Hi! I’m canadian 28 yo male looking to escape the rat race. I’m planning to amass a certain amount of money to be able to live the van nomad lifestyle for a few years with my gf and dogs whilst still being able to benefit from compound interest from my investments.

I read the whole blog and been lurking the forum for a little while. I like the community and want to be a bigger part of it.

Jules Anne

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #4286 on: May 29, 2022, 11:29:33 PM »
Hi, everyone

I attempted to join in 2021 from my LG G2 last year. Unfortunately LG G2 barred me from completing the sign up. So, replaced my phone because it was running on fumes (phone speed was losing it's pep and starting to habitually heat up and phone's ability to keep a charge was singing a slow swan song) so here I am. I was kind of hoping to get a solid decade out of the phone. Darned planned obsolescence. I used it as an alarm clock until the battery went kaput.

I live in a HCOL area in the PNW, work in tech and save what I can without resorting to having roommates. Most of what I love to do for fun is either free or close to free and involves being outdoors (hiking, gardening, exploring, day trips, fishing, snorkeling). I also love reading and photography. Aside from a battery, I haven't purchased any photography equipment since 2015. I avoid the equipment churn and only buy what I know I will love.     

Calculators indicate I can technically retire in eight years, or I can retire in eleven.five years in perpetuity. While this thrills me, I'd be even happier if I was say, twenty-five.

I suspect I could shorten the horizon on retirement if I stopped all spending beyond the necessities. But, occasional indulging can be fun.

ATtiny85

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #4287 on: June 13, 2022, 05:06:29 PM »
Been reading and following for years, getting some small amount of wisdom that might be shareable, and for sure still some gaps to close.

GnomeVader

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #4288 on: June 17, 2022, 06:08:28 AM »
Howdy, call me Mr. Mustache. I hail from North Carolina.

stoaX

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4289 on: June 18, 2022, 04:46:34 AM »
Howdy, call me Mr. Mustache. I hail from North Carolina.

Welcome from south of the border!

GAndStache

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #4290 on: June 21, 2022, 09:26:01 AM »
Hi all,
I'm 29, in the UK and recently realized that I just can't wait to not have to work any more. It is a drain on my life and stops me doing more worthwhile and fun things. So that's brought me to MMM. I've never spent much and always invested (I actually watched the MMM retire by 30 video about 7 years ago..), so hoping to get to FI in 5 years or so by cutting back a bit more and being more focused on the FI goal.

Looking forward to being more involved in the community!

SinnahSaint

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
  • Do no harm, and take no shit.
    • Growing Hope
« Reply #4291 on: June 26, 2022, 10:57:35 PM »
Hiya folks!

I’m a Canadian who has just recently learned about FI-RE.
Mrs.(48/f) and I(39/f) have a dream of a hobby farm by the sea and have been working towards that dream. We both grew up poor & the stock market just seemed like gambling for rich people. (To be fair, when we were young the options were pick-a-stock-and-hope or get-nickel-and-dimed-by-mutual-funds.

We got married in 2016 and started to get serious about our finances. In the first 5 years we have:
- paid off a high interest car loan(when that one died on us we bought the next with cash)
- cleared a bankruptcy and updated other paperwork
- invested in our health by going to optometrists and dentists and such for the first time in many years
- built up a savings account for emergencies
- started saving up for a down payment

More recently(the past year) we have started using our RRSP and TFSA accounts to reduce our current tax load and shelter our investment growth.

We plan to buy our home before the end of 2024. This year and the next is for searching for the perfect place, but if we get to 2024 without finding perfection we will settle for one of the many 85%-95% perfect ones that go by all the time. We plan to have a 25%+down payment and have the mortgage paid in 5-10years.

We should hit FI around the time Mrs hits 60 so it’s not really a case or early retirement for us but I am very glad I spotted Quit Like A Millionaire by Kristy Shen at my local library a few months ago.

Grow Stacks

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
  • Semi-Retired Personal Finance Educator
    • Grow Stacks - Basics of Financial Success - YouTube
« Reply #4292 on: July 01, 2022, 01:42:52 PM »
Hi! I semi-retired @ FI in Dec 2020. I trade stocks in the mornings, and teach FI principles on my YouTube channel (click bio for Channel Link).

Happy FI (& future FI) to All

uniteorlose

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #4293 on: July 12, 2022, 06:45:20 PM »
Hi All,

Long time lurker, first time poster. I'm 32 in Los Angeles and trying to have my money start working for me.

coopsdaddy

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #4294 on: July 21, 2022, 06:25:03 AM »
Newbie from Oklahoma,mid 40 and looking to fire by 52.
Three kids,blue coller equipment operator.

Kiwistash

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #4295 on: July 21, 2022, 08:13:42 AM »
This is a big “hello” from me in New Zealand!
I’ve loved reading the forum for ages so now it’s time to join in the fun.
It’s exciting to be here as friends and family just aren’t interested in this stuff and I really am!
Our current goal is to pay off the mortgage, after that it’s a race to FIRE.
Woohoo!

JupiterGreen

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #4296 on: July 21, 2022, 08:32:11 AM »
Welcome @coopsdaddy and @Kiwistash !

MMMary

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #4297 on: August 31, 2022, 01:45:25 AM »
Hi!  I am in the midwest and I am not great at doing FIRE yet but it's a work in progress.  I think I will finally be able to hit a 50% savings rate this year for the first time ever (and I'm on track to max out my 401k for the first time EVER this year or next) so I am pretty happy about that!  I am 32 and I could use some advice on where/how to invest in an index fund.  I have a nonqualified account with my financial advisor but it's really annoying to have to go through someone else to change the amount I'm investing.  If I already have a Fidelity account can I do it through there?

Anyways nice to meet all however many bajillion of you are on this thread :-)

Mary

uniwelder

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4298 on: August 31, 2022, 03:02:50 AM »
Hi!  I am in the midwest and I am not great at doing FIRE yet but it's a work in progress.  I think I will finally be able to hit a 50% savings rate this year for the first time ever (and I'm on track to max out my 401k for the first time EVER this year or next) so I am pretty happy about that!  I am 32 and I could use some advice on where/how to invest in an index fund.  I have a nonqualified account with my financial advisor but it's really annoying to have to go through someone else to change the amount I'm investing.  If I already have a Fidelity account can I do it through there?

Anyways nice to meet all however many bajillion of you are on this thread :-)

Mary

Welcome! After 8 years, wow. Definitely post your situation in Investor Alley. 

Zero Matters

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
    • Zero Matters
« Reply #4299 on: September 08, 2022, 02:17:30 AM »
Hi everyone!

Like many others I was a long-time lurker/reader of the forum and MMM's blog, but have only just signed up to post here.

I reached Lean FIRE in April of this year and decided to take a leap of faith after burning out in my job and seeing my health and relationships suffer. Not sure if I plan to make this a forever thing right now, but I am enjoying the time to redesign my life around health, relationships and community. Hence I finally decided to join here and start chatting with like minded folks!

After stumbling across MMM and Millenial Revolution 7 years ago, I started on the journey to my own FI. The beginning was slow and steady, but I found myself into a very well paid job for the last 4 years and that accelerated my timeline by quite a bit (I think it halved it). So I feel very fortunate, but at the same time like I sold out my health and value for a while. Felt great to hand in my notice as a FU to the way things were being run there, and so nice to have the time now to live my life freely.

I've done a bit of surfing, a road trip around Namibia, started blogging to explore my own thoughts and workout 4-5 times a week so I'm feeling pretty good about the first 6 months of this. Already I am starting to feel more energy for other things, which is a big deal since my burnout took a lot of that away from me.

Can't wait to chat more with you all on here! Thanks for all the inspiration and advice that I have received by lurking around here all this time!
« Last Edit: September 08, 2022, 02:26:23 AM by Zero Matters »