Author Topic: Say Hi and Introduce Yourself  (Read 3317590 times)

FIREstache

• Pencil Stache
Re: Say Hi and Introduce Yourself
« Reply #3900 on: April 14, 2019, 12:54:20 PM »
Early generation X poster here.  I've been reading and posting to various similar forums for years.  I've been reading from this forum from time to time over the last several years.  Finally, I've decided to register.

30+ year IT career and have been stashing / investing most of that time.  I had been pretty frugal all of my life with a high savings rate, so these blogs and forums haven't changed my life at all, but I still like to pick up a useful tidbit here and there.

Joesun2

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3901 on: April 14, 2019, 07:19:23 PM »
Hi everyone I am new to the Forum and I would like to do what everyone is doing making money.

Stretch67

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3902 on: April 15, 2019, 09:20:39 AM »
Hi All!

Own an industrial painting company here in the Midwest. Have worked a lot and studied all things financial since about 16 years old. Had my home paid for at 26, along with a wife and 3 kids.  Borrowed a little money a few years ago to put up a garage/shop. Looking forward to getting back to debt free and staching cash.

Thanks!

JTColton

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3903 on: April 16, 2019, 02:48:50 AM »
Greetings all,

Great forum, been lurking for some time now. Retiring from the military next year and looking for ways to not have to work for the man anymore.

JT

datao

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3904 on: April 16, 2019, 05:56:10 PM »
Finally joined the forum and want to say Hi.

I came across MMM website about 4 years ago. At that time all I had was $2000 credit card debt. The knowledge from this website was shocking to me and I have been following since then. Today I have had more than $400K sitting in index fund/saving account and half way to pay off my $500K home. Whenever I feel frustrated about saving, I start reading MMM's posts. They give me lots of encouragement. Thank you for bringing the wisdom, a sincere attitude to life, and all the changes to my life.

K-ice

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3905 on: April 17, 2019, 08:06:43 AM »

I came across MMM website about 4 years ago. At that time all I had was $2000 credit card debt. The knowledge from this website was shocking to me and I have been following since then. Today I have had more than $400K sitting in index fund/saving account and half way to pay off my $500K home.

Welcome, that is amazing progress in 4 years. You should share a bit more of your story in Share your Badassady.

datao

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3906 on: April 17, 2019, 03:57:32 PM »

I came across MMM website about 4 years ago. At that time all I had was $2000 credit card debt. The knowledge from this website was shocking to me and I have been following since then. Today I have had more than $400K sitting in index fund/saving account and half way to pay off my $500K home.

Welcome, that is amazing progress in 4 years. You should share a bit more of your story in Share your Badassady.

Thank you for the suggestion. I started writing my story and will post once I finish. :)

esmith2039

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3907 on: April 18, 2019, 11:50:46 AM »
Hello all. I've been reading through the articles for the last week and figured this was the next step. Only debt is the house, not sure we'll do the FIRE maybe just FI for now. Looking forward to all the tips/advice this forum can bring!

InterfaceLeader

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3908 on: April 21, 2019, 03:03:56 AM »
Hi, I am Suzie. I currently work as a project manager, but in the past have been in communications, PR, retail, events management, and web design.

I would very much like to quit working so I can go hiking in a bunch of beautiful places and stop staring at computers all day.

I love reading, writing, walking, and relaxing in the sun.

My parents are quite unconventional, which left me with a bit of skepticism towards mainstream life. None the less, I got married and now I seem to be in a typical situation of working to afford a lifestyle. Boo.

I paid off all my debt last year sometime and am now working diligently towards basic financial security prior to moving to the States, at which point I will start working towards FI.

sideHustler

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3909 on: April 23, 2019, 02:49:44 PM »
Hi, I'm Curt. I'm currently a programmer analyst, but I'm working to try and make an online business blogging.

Sounds stupid, but I've been working on it for like 5+ years and I'm finally getting some coaching now. So hopefully things start to improve. P.S. my boss drives me crazy.

Sinconjuror

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3910 on: April 24, 2019, 07:48:22 AM »
Hi, my name is Luke. I'm new, I'm from London. I will be glad to receive new experience

softysoutherner

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3911 on: April 24, 2019, 05:01:45 PM »
Hi all

Long time lurker here -finally joining in!

I'm Megan, mid 30s, from Manchester (UK version not US!).  I'm in a process of re-aligning my mindset to an 'I have enough' one - end result is that I've stopped spending more than I earn, very nearly paid off my debt, started saving properly and am generally a much happier person than I was 3 years ago. Oh, and about to buy my first home - something I thought would never be possible. Hurrah for stepping off the consumer carousel!

Though a new bike would be nice hahaha... ;)

Looking forward to learning from all of you

DapperAndy

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
    • Pure Polish Shoe Polish & Leather Care Blog
« Reply #3912 on: April 26, 2019, 02:17:53 PM »
Hi, I'm Andy. I bike, hike, climb, travel, and polish a lot of shoes. Entrepreneur in Bend, Oregon. Learning from the troves of knowledge and amazing community here at MMM.

justkeepswimming

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3913 on: May 01, 2019, 09:14:32 AM »
Hello!  I've been on the path to FI for about 3 years, and I decided to finally stop lurking on the forum and join in on some conversations.  I'm in my mid-30s, married with 1 kid and another on the way.  We made some great progress in our first couple of years of tracking expenses and trying to align spending with our priorities.  Things have slowed down a bit since our kid arrived, but we are still working towards FI and seeing progress.  I have learned a lot - and been inspired - by others on the forum and look forward to interacting with you all!

londonbanker

• Bristles
« Reply #3914 on: May 01, 2019, 02:42:06 PM »
Hi, my name is Luke. I'm new, I'm from London. I will be glad to receive new experience
Welcome Luke. Another Londoner is always a nice addition to this mad house.

Jonanonc

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3915 on: May 03, 2019, 12:02:57 AM »
I'm Mason, I live in Clifton.
I'm java developer.
I enjoy diving and swimming

2sk22

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3916 on: May 05, 2019, 12:28:17 PM »
I'm in my mid 50s, have a PhD in computer science and have been working for the last 28 years. I was completely unaware of FIRE until recently but, somehow, it appears that I have been following those principles almost exactly my entire working life. I think I'm definitely FI but need a little bit more time to get my thoughts in order before making the big leap into retirement.

MotherFier

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3917 on: May 07, 2019, 06:30:26 AM »
MotherFier is here.
1. Found my tribe through MMM blog in fall 2018.
2. Paid off $148K in student loan debt a month ago.
3. Will get to FI in 7-10 years (lean to fat FI).

Super excited to find my people! :)

Valentine4469

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3918 on: May 07, 2019, 02:00:08 PM »
Hi there! I stumbled across this forum in my research towards financial wellness. I work in IT but my ultimate goal is to obtain self sustaining income and not necessarily be reliant on working for someone else. Awesome info in here thus far, cheers!

Bullets

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3919 on: May 10, 2019, 08:19:04 AM »
Hello I'm Johnny Cash.

SHO

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3920 on: May 12, 2019, 02:36:13 PM »
Hi there... I am a Mexican FIRE Mustachian, living in Mexico. Just joined the forum today, though have been reading MMM blog for the past couple of years or so. I am FI for the best part of a year or so, though have been strugling with the one more year and a bit more cash syndrome. Was happy to find the blog, was already implementing a lot from there for a long time. I am 37 yo, 13 years ago I made my plan - I wanted to retire in 10 years, had a number in mind, budget, savings goals, estimates for increase in income, and investment returns - it included three scenarios with different numbers. It was not very detailed but was good enough to keep me motivated. Life continued, my wife and I had kids, and our montly budget/expenses increased. It took me 12 years to achieve FI, though in retrospect it could have happened way earlier had I not made some questionable choices with regards to spend and risky investments. So finally decided to cut the cord, despite my attitude towards work had been very relaxed the past year it was not fun anymore. Have a long list of projects and things I want to do with the free time that it is getting difficult to prioritize - from a long list of books pending to read (though have always managed to read a book, or two a month in the past), to re-taking old hobbies and new ones, teaching, and above all spend time with my family. I might even start a small blog, I would be happy if I have two readers. I have an engineering background, started out with very manual and technical work right after university and managed to progress to management roles, we moved/relocated cities about six times, seven if you count going back now to our home city were our families live. Our budget spend is just above 2k a month (excluding house as we own that) and is projected to increase  more as our kids get older (we rely on private schools). We have never bought new cars, have done multiple DIY projects (and look forwar to more of those and to increase compmexity), always looked for options to increase my income (salary increase mostly), invested in real estate (comercial and residential), maxed investments with employeer to get their matching contributions, and took as well some risky investments that failed (others are still strugling), and stayed frugal (with some excemptions such as traveling wich is not included on the budget above). My parents retired from their jobs in their mid 40s, I learned a lot from them, specially discipline and hard work - my dad had always side gigs that would often bring in more cash than his job. After their retirement my mother worked part time sporadiclly in a  non-profit organization (maybe a couple of years in the past 15yrs) and my dad would continue with side gigs from time to time to fill a day or two of his week. I am gratefull for this learning, I can only hope my three kids can achieve the same, maybe even a decade earlier than myself. The financial independence road is great.. requires hard work and a lot of discipline, but you already know that.

« Last Edit: May 14, 2019, 07:44:44 PM by SHO »

londonbanker

• Bristles
« Reply #3921 on: May 13, 2019, 02:56:48 PM »
I heard people from Mexico are very hairy and grow stashes easily... is that true :-) ?

SHO

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3922 on: May 14, 2019, 07:51:46 PM »
Very hairy indeed... though I am loosing my hair, i might have to grow a longer stash, go for a comb-over.

londonbanker

• Bristles
« Reply #3923 on: May 15, 2019, 04:15:18 PM »
Very hairy indeed... though I am loosing my hair, i might have to grow a longer stash, go for a comb-over.
LoL
Welcome to the mad house, I think you will fit right in

portablejim

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3924 on: May 18, 2019, 02:20:53 AM »
Hi. I'm James,

I'm 27 and working as a software developer in Sydney Australia. The way I am (i.e. my personality etc.) puts me on the asperger side of the autism spectrum.

As I have grown up I have practiced the most important rules regarding money (i.e. almost all debt is bad), which when combined with upper-middle-class decently-frugal parents has meant that I never have had a credit card and have had a HISA for a while. University has meant I have a large HECS (student loan, inflation-rate + 0% interest, indexed/compounded yearly).

Up until a year ago I was a long-time welfare recipient. First an undergraduate degree, where I didn't really look for work until after graduation. Then a year of looking for work. Then I decided to go back to uni for increased chance at getting a job due to having more education on my CV. I then went back to job-searching.

Being on welfare I learnt ways to save money but the addition of a bit of supplemental income ($150-$200 a month) meant I treated myself to a coffee-shop coffee weekly. I had an amount in my savings account that I set as 'Paid' and regarded when I was over that as being able to buy something extra and when I was under that I was essentially borrowing from myself and so couldn't spend any as I had to pay off the 'debt'. Most of the savings I made went to maintaining a motorbike I bought with cash for $2k, so it actually meant that my savings never really got back to where it was.

The job I have had now for just over a year as a software developer is casual, but with mostly the ability to do full-time hours. It's nice because of the flexibility, but it has lead to some volatile income, exacerbated by personal issues. I also started buying take-away food more (including coffee).

I have never been hugely successful at budgeting. I did end up working out a system using a checking and savings account: Transfer all but what you estimate you can live on till next payment to the savings account and you only need to worry if you end up needing to transfer stuff back. This works well for regular costs but can hide the amount you are saving for infrequent costs (e.g. vehicle registration).

Having been employed for a few months, my self-imagined loan was paid off and I imagined that I could afford to purchase something. So I did, I bought a $2k IPad pro. However, I mis-estimated how much money I would earn in the next few months (i.e. over December and January) and the timing of my already planned additional spending (vehicle registration + a week-long conference totalling about $1k-$1.5k) and some not-so-expected spending (vehicle maintenance required for registration). So once again I was in 'debt' to myself.

As I have been saving to pay myself back, I found out about a $10k electric motorbike that I want to buy (Australian built, had estimated it saving about $1k a year of fuel/maintenance costs compared to my current bike + saving the cost of public transport) and worked out that it would take a year to save for. I decided to look at ways to cut costs and get better returns, including trying to find answers to things like 'Where did the rich put their money?' and 'What do super funds to to generate the returns they do and can I do what they are doing?'  That is what put me onto shares.

While I was still at Uni, I had done a little bit with bitcoin, bought low and sold lower (in hindsight I think I timed the bottom perfectly, just did the opposite of what I should have done) and so decided I was not the investing type (though now I know more about investing and speculating, I was speculating). My parents taught that the share market is just another form of gambling, where you are almost guarenteed to lose money. As I learnt more I realised that my parents' experience in shares was limited. Both mine and my parents' view of investors was to think of just the day-trade speculators and the high-frequency traders. I was taught that dividends were so irrelevant that nobody had shares just to get the dividends. I was taught that the share market had a massive cost of entry (in response to me questioning if I could buy a single share), where you would need to have at least $10k to even think about doing it. My first dip in was done mostly in ignorance when I started work deciding on an ethical fund with 2% fee (because 2% is low, right?). Made a similar decision with super (because everyone beat the market, they are all around the same. 2% seems to be a reasonable fee, right?).

So I was looking for ways to save money for a $10k bike. I started to look into shares again. I am not sure what I saw first, but it was related to returns of the share market. In the ensuing rabbit hole of research I landed on some info about FIRE (somewhere in coming across Bogle, Thornhill, ETFs including the indexed ones, and MMM) which has driven the rabbit hole even further. I discovered the implications of the maths behind saving $10-$30 a day (I think I have reduced my monthly spend down from $2k by a few hundred).

I also discovered that what I had known about shares was mostly wrong. I had never played the ASX stock market game, but I was curious about how to do well at it. As I now discovered, the game is only weeks long (plus other restrictions). The game was not rigged, it was just dumb. I now know that the proper way to play the stock market is not with waveform like daytrades, but with a much longer term view.

So, I now have a few thousand in shares, but still under $10k total. My self-imposed loan system is in an interesting state as the balance has been used to buy shares. I still want to buy the bike but the calculated savings compared to my current one have evaporated because: (a) I no longer have to appear at random places for interviews (b) my employer pays for my public transport costs and (c) Although I grew up riding a push-bike and have continued to do so, I was using my motorbike once a week and now has been reduced to less than once a week through increased pushbike riding.

I wasn't intending this to be that long, but it turned out that way.

lastdazeman

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
  • Not money but the LOVE OF money is the root of...
« Reply #3925 on: May 18, 2019, 03:34:34 PM »
Dear Denizens of MMM Forums:

I am newly arrived here today.

I have recently started reading and listening to podcasts about financial independence and retiring early. I heard about Mister Money Mustache from the ChooseFI podcasts.

In spite of our mistakes, God has blessed my spouse and I financially. We should be able to retire soon in our early 60s. 

I look forward to learning from you all and I hope I can share things you all find useful and/or interesting.

Yours Truly,

Ldm

BillyBob48

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3926 on: May 20, 2019, 11:58:43 AM »
Hi Moustachians:

BillyBob here. I'm about 5 years away from retiring, one kid going to college this year, another one heading out in 3 years. This forum is too cool, a place I wish I had found earlier. I'm a cheapskate in general, and sticking it to the "man" is my favorite hobby. So, I couldn't believe it when I read how cheap y'all are, I thought it was just me. I keep my thermostat at 62 degrees F, 55 degrees at night. People are cold in my house (throw on a sweater you wuss).

Anyway, why do I have to verify each posting? I wanna be efficient, what do I have to do to stop verifying?

BB48

dutchhiker

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3927 on: May 21, 2019, 01:46:25 PM »
Hi,

My name is Roel and I am living in the Netherlands. I am father of two girls and a software developer. Are there more people from NL here?

Roel

MrGrossGoatee

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3928 on: May 22, 2019, 05:00:06 PM »
Hi!  I currently live in Portland, OR, but grew up in Colorado, in a town right by MMM!  I've definitely considered the FIRE path before, but only recently have I ventured down the MMM rabbit hole.  Right now, I'm trying to become more disciplined in my frugality, and find other ways to earn/save money so I can leave the corporate machine and live life! 

Mathieu

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3929 on: May 24, 2019, 02:33:52 AM »
Hi all,

First of all thanks for all this wealth of information, it really helped me.

I'm 41 from France, married, 2 young kids.

I just submitted my resignation and will walk out of corporate life in 45 days.

We'll relocate to Canada and enjoy life one day at a time. Life is good.

RQSouthFire

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3930 on: May 26, 2019, 12:44:28 AM »
Hello!  Former lurker for several years.  Mid-40’s living in the western US in an M/HCOL city.  Worked in IT/software for several decades.  Currently in software management for an AlmostMegaCorp.

Close to FIRE and decided to post for the first time!

Enough

• Stubble
« Reply #3931 on: May 26, 2019, 05:05:05 AM »
Hello!  Former lurker for several years.  Mid-40’s living in the western US in an M/HCOL city.  Worked in IT/software for several decades.  Currently in software management for an AlmostMegaCorp.

Close to FIRE and decided to post for the first time!

Welcome and congrats on being close!

affable

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3932 on: May 27, 2019, 03:14:07 PM »
Hi everybody! I found out about Mr. Money Mustache by research and then it was mentioned several times on ChooseFI podcast. I have recently started a blog, www.affablewellness.com. I am so excited! I am a millennial definitely seeking FI and I am so excited to be here!

tplg43

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
    • Rock climber's favorite bracelets & backpack brand
« Reply #3933 on: May 29, 2019, 02:02:47 AM »
Hi all,

John here from US.
Was once quite close to FIRE, but some shitty investment choices came across..

I am now in my mid-40s looking to grow a business and use that cash flow to seek for FIRE in the future..

Anyways here is my brand selling bracelets & backpacks: https://topologie.com

Nice to meet you all :D

rkamon511

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Say Hi and Introduce Yourself
« Reply #3934 on: May 29, 2019, 03:01:45 PM »
Hey all!

My name is Renee, and DH introduced me to this. He stumbled across the FIRE movement, and we have started down the path.

We don’t have a specific date for our retirement yet, but have been making changes to get to debt free!

We have two boxers, and live in the Pittsburgh area. Hoping to be in Florida by the end of the year.

For me, I have roughly $46k in debt right now. About $4k of that in a car loan (so close to payoff!!) and the rest in student loans. We are lucky to be mortgage free at this point.

I am looking forward to speaking with more of you and can’t wait to see what all I learn from the forum.

Have a good one!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cubby08

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
    • Sellzee Sheets
« Reply #3935 on: June 01, 2019, 06:17:41 PM »
Hi, Richard here. My wife and I live in the NY metro area. We're been following this forum for a year now and made a lot of positive adjustments but first time posting. Thinking of joining the 2029 FIRE thread or thereabouts!

retiredvietnam

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
    • retiring vietkieu vietnam
« Reply #3936 on: June 03, 2019, 04:04:19 AM »
I'm William, and I am here to get advices to get retired earlier. I would like to live in SEA. Cheers

Bodrey

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3937 on: June 03, 2019, 06:45:38 PM »
Hi Mr. and Mrs. MM,

My name's Mike. I'm new to MMM as of today. I'm a fellow Canadian like Peter. Hoping to find tips and inspiration from fellow readers about ways to save and invest smarter and build wealth.

ctuser1

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3938 on: June 04, 2019, 11:08:09 AM »
Hi all,

I’m ctuser1. New to mr money mustache. Joined a few weeks ago, and already got into some tiffs :-)..

I am a code-monkey, as is DW. So we got the earning side covered despite being in a VHCOL area of the US. I think I’m also good with investments.

I used to think we are good savers. But boy, was I wrong!!

The biggest eye opener for me has been the APowers grocery thread. I don’t expect to ever reach that level of frugality, but knowing what is possible gives me a lot of hope.

I also got to show that thread to my wife (who thinks she is very frugal) and tease her  about our $800/mo grocery bill for 4 people. Of course, she blamed me back saying I am the root cause of that because I demand to eat a lot of pricey seafood and stuff - blowing up her budget!!

Peach

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3939 on: June 05, 2019, 11:51:53 AM »
Hi all!

I'm Peach.  The username is short and sweet, but it is also an anagram.  I stopped working at age 40, which was more than a few years ago.

I've always been frugal, and it has served me well.  Husband and I spend next to nothing on stuff but will spend a little more if required on healthy food -- very little more because we buy on sale, of course. 

We'll never be rich, but we have more than enough to live very good lives and to have the things that are important to us.

Nice to meet everyone!

JohnnyBongo

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3940 on: June 06, 2019, 01:36:48 PM »
Hi All,

My friends call me Johnny Bongo. I've been interested in living frugally and mindfully for a long time. Been a reader for a couple of years, but I finally felt I should put some skin in the game, so to speak, and start on the forum. I've spent the last couple years working part time as a bicycle mechanic, so throw your bike questions my way.

Best,

JB

techwiz

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #3941 on: June 06, 2019, 04:05:14 PM »
Hi all!

I'm Peach.  The username is short and sweet, but it is also an anagram.  I stopped working at age 40, which was more than a few years ago.

I've always been frugal, and it has served me well.  Husband and I spend next to nothing on stuff but will spend a little more if required on healthy food -- very little more because we buy on sale, of course. 

We'll never be rich, but we have more than enough to live very good lives and to have the things that are important to us.

Nice to meet everyone!

Welcome to the forum.  My guess on the anagram is "cheap"  ,but I prefer the term you used "frugal". 

Peach

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3942 on: June 07, 2019, 02:52:37 PM »
Hi all!

Nice to meet everyone!

Welcome to the forum.  My guess on the anagram is "cheap"  ,but I prefer the term you used "frugal".

Thanks for the welcome, techwiz.  You are correct, the anagram is "cheap".  I also prefer the term "frugal" to "cheap".  At least "cheap" doesn't sound bad when it's rearranged as "peach".

Jadzia37000

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3943 on: June 08, 2019, 08:01:31 AM »
Hi, I'm from France, hoping to find other people living here who are interested in FIRE.  It's not the dominant mindset here for sure.  I became a partner in my firm, well, today, and fortunately my (law) partner and I have the same timeline to retirement (aggressively shooting for five years), the same balance on our mortgages, and pretty much the same "number."  Now we just have to come up with a strategy. 

I don't know the first thing about investing in France except that "assurance vie" is not life insurance and because nobody here seems to seriously save, asking for guidance or a signpost from friends and family and even bankers has not been a fruitful approach.  What I want to do is find an index fund for the Bourse, if such a thing exists. What I'm getting frustrated enough to do is just say forget it and open the standard Charles Schwab account for furr'ners that would let me invest in an American index fund.

londonbanker

• Bristles
« Reply #3944 on: June 09, 2019, 12:53:50 AM »
Hi, I'm from France, hoping to find other people living here who are interested in FIRE.  It's not the dominant mindset here for sure.  I became a partner in my firm, well, today, and fortunately my (law) partner and I have the same timeline to retirement (aggressively shooting for five years), the same balance on our mortgages, and pretty much the same "number."  Now we just have to come up with a strategy. 

I don't know the first thing about investing in France except that "assurance vie" is not life insurance and because nobody here seems to seriously save, asking for guidance or a signpost from friends and family and even bankers has not been a fruitful approach.  What I want to do is find an index fund for the Bourse, if such a thing exists. What I'm getting frustrated enough to do is just say forget it and open the standard Charles Schwab account for furr'ners that would let me invest in an American index fund.
Bienvenue sur le forum.
I am French too and currently living in London. I am expecting to be FI in 3 years (2/22/2022) and likely to retire then. My plan as it stands is to retire in France (at least for now). The investment community there clearly isn’t as developed as it is in the UK/US, that’s for sure, but I am starting to do my research in preparation for that. Send me a private message to talk further if you want, hopefully we can share resources in finding out the best way to manage our assets in a tax efficient way and to protect it from the proverbial French tax system.

sillysassy

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3945 on: June 10, 2019, 12:31:45 AM »
hi! love this website.
due to my work, i travel between USA and asia quite a lot.
as u can guess, i gave in to temptations early in my life and spend quite a lot, given that i travel so much.

now i am trying to reduce my expenses, save up more, get more passive income channels and slowly FIRE. :D

numbersgame

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3946 on: June 10, 2019, 07:17:42 AM »
I've been reading the MMM blog for years but somehow only just discovered the forum! I've been posting on Bogleheads forum for years and feel like this is a lot more relevant, so thanks for having me!

gsx1138

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3947 on: June 10, 2019, 02:30:11 PM »
Hello everyone.

I feel a little late to the part as I'm about to turn 50 and other than my State retirement and Roth IRA (that I just started) I have no investments and still pay a mortgage.  I'm hoping to find out whether to pay off my house or just start investing now.

My goal at this point, being all old and stuff, is to try and only work part time by the time I'm 60.

bethann88

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3948 on: June 12, 2019, 03:45:16 PM »
Definitely late to the party here. Mostly just overwhelmed at this point -- we don't spend much (could cut a little, but no TV, no vacations, cheap groceries, cheap old car, etc) but don't make enough either to pay off our crushing debt, not to mention starting to save in our late 30s. We've just realized how bad things are too late. I know we're supposed to be outrageously optimistic here, but if anyone can point me to Worst Case Scenario coping to-do lists, that'd be grand.

Treedream

• Stubble
« Reply #3949 on: June 15, 2019, 04:55:55 PM »
Hello everyone!

My name here is Treedream, 27, F, and I'm from The Netherlands. I was raised by very common sense people who gave me quite a saver's mentality. It's really cool to see other people with big dreams and tight fists :)

I save and pay of debt at a rate of 40% of my median take-home income at the moment. I look forward to buying a house and am curious to start this mysterious thing called investing.

Cheerio!

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!