Author Topic: Say Hi and Introduce Yourself  (Read 3317821 times)

teddyjimbo

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Re: Say Hi and Introduce Yourself
« Reply #3450 on: October 14, 2017, 02:11:48 AM »
Hello fellow MMM newbies and veterans

Came across the site and read through some posts and it feels like this would be a great place to understand how smart people make smart decisions about money.  Glad I found this place.

-teddyjimbo

Say What?

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3451 on: October 14, 2017, 03:00:00 PM »
Hi. I'm Say What. I'm not too far out of school and I'm working to figure out what I want to do with my finances and time. I appreciate MMM's viewpoint and desire to continually learn. I hope to learn about different people's strategies and tailor that information to fit my individual situation.

anadyne

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3452 on: October 15, 2017, 09:33:57 AM »
Hi there, new member checking in from the Northeast US! I've been single momming it since I was a teen and my main goals were to keep our lives full and interesting, prioritize education, and get my child through college debt free. Recently checked the last box off so in that sense we were a complete success, though I broke the cardinal rule by not investing in my own retirement before funding my child's education. Now I'm cracking into my 40's with no debt, but less investment than I'd like. I've been devouring personal finance blogs and podcasts and I'm really inspired by MMM and this community. Won't be retiring early, but I have a really ideal job and a life that has so much freedom, I feel quite a bit like I'm already living the RE part and just need the FI to catch up with it.

lemanfan

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3453 on: October 15, 2017, 10:10:01 AM »
I've been single momming it since I was a teen and my main goals were to keep our lives full and interesting, prioritize education, and get my child through college debt free. Recently checked the last box off so in that sense we were a complete success,

Good job!

FI4PeaceofMind

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3454 on: October 15, 2017, 10:45:05 AM »
Hello, all. I want the intellectual and emotional freedom that financial independence would provide. I spend what I earn, for the most part, and I know that if I ever want to retire comfortably I need to plan and prepare, instead of buying convenience every day.

Syd

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3455 on: October 16, 2017, 05:34:40 AM »
Hi guys,

French dude living near Paris here!

I've been curious about financial independence for years and discovered MMM 6 months ago. Read stuff, applied stuff, forgot a bit about it, came back... and I'm now ready to go a step further!

I'd love to get help, remarks... my journal is my signature. :)

skenney5678

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3456 on: October 16, 2017, 02:15:12 PM »
Hello, I'm Shelby and I'm a mom of two and married to a hunky hunk. We're trying to manage debt while my husband goes back to school full-time and I work full-time.

WoodSpinner

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3457 on: October 16, 2017, 02:59:16 PM »
Hi,

I have been lurking on MMM for awhile now and have been pretty active on the Bogleheads site. Currently 57 and will be FIREing in December! I have had an amazing learning journey since January when the idea of retiring early first crossed my mind. I have been fortunate to work in a job at a MegaCorp that I love, that has treated me well, and offered me many opportunities to grow and learn. I have always been a saver and have always lived below my means, but never tightened my expenses the way some of the Mustachians here have done. That said, 41 years of savings have accumulated nicely and I decided to retire while my DW and I can still travel, have our health, and enjoy life.

It's a strange time -- excited about the opportunities ahead, sad at what I am leaving behind, and nervous about the unknown. I was pretty adventurous in my youth, spent 10 years, working a year and then traveling a year. but been pretty conservative since then.

Time to bring on the adventure and see what else is out there.

Thanks

WoodSpinner

FLStache

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3458 on: October 17, 2017, 10:16:12 AM »
Hi, new to the forum, but long time practitioner of the tenets in Your Money or Your Life.  Looking to FIRE next year at the age of 50 with the help of a megacorp restructure and a nice severance package.  Now time to fine-tune my FIRE plan.

Ms. LLC

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3459 on: October 17, 2017, 05:38:56 PM »
Hi Everyone! My name is "Ms. LLC" and I run Lovely Life Cents over at http://lovelylifecents.com/. I hope to meet as many as you as I can here! Catch me on Twitter @LovelyLifeCents.

never give up

• Walrus Stache
  • Kindness is free to give and priceless to receive
« Reply #3460 on: October 21, 2017, 06:26:29 AM »
Hi, I'm from the UK. I've only discovered MMM in the last few months but have been naturally frugal all my life. I care more about FI than RE and want to put myself in position to be free of a pressurised job environment.

Kakanui

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3461 on: October 22, 2017, 01:39:56 AM »
Hi Craig from New Zealand. Been checking out MMM every now and then over past few years and always been a big fan of early retirement. My wife and I have been reasonably responsible with our money and not waste too much on things we don't need and have always lived within our means and have avoided frivolous consumer debt.

Became FI  2000 (aged 32) with a small portfolio of rental properties and "semi-retired"- taught part time and did some uni study (for interests sake) for decade or so. Went back to fulltime work in 2011 for a few years but semi-retired again at the end of last year. I am currently working 3 days per week for a local charity & managing my rental properties but next year heading off to a small island in the Pacific to volunteer for 12 months.

I consider myself reasonably responsible with my money but there is always room to improve.

Craig

Llewellyn2006

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3462 on: October 22, 2017, 03:06:44 AM »
I finally managed to get registered after having some problems with the registration process and only being able to lurk in the meantime. Anyway that's all sorted now and now I can post to some of the wonderful threads I've been reading. Lots of very knowledgeable people on here with oceans of knowledge. Who needs a financial adviser!!

CashFlowCrusher

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3463 on: October 24, 2017, 05:05:18 PM »
Howdy everyone! Mr. Crush here from CashFlowCrusher.com. I just started getting serious about my blog again and some of my personal finance pals recommended I check out the forums. I love what I've seen so far and I hope to start contributing more. Let's "CRUSH" it!!!!

Allie01

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3464 on: October 25, 2017, 05:38:51 AM »
Hi All,

I have been a mustachian and have been living frugally for a while now. I am an expat based in Shanghai and enjoying the opportunities for travel and exploring the culture here, as well as the lower cost of living. Anyone else in Shanghai or China on these forums? I would love to connect and discuss FI and mustachianism.

Cheers,

cragon14

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3465 on: October 25, 2017, 06:58:03 AM »
Hey all,

I'm 30 with a first baby on the way. My wife and I are natural savers but we've incurred a good deal of life style creep as our work situations have improved throughout the years. I've been reading the MMM blog for over a year now and have embraced the change in thinking, however, I haven't quite bought in yet with my actions.

Recently saw there a forum here and realized you have a great community of similar individuals as myself. Hoping to be able to continue learning from you all and try to give back myself by contributing in any positive ways I can think of.

Clinton

jeriwalters

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3466 on: October 26, 2017, 03:30:16 AM »
Hi I am new Here, by the way I'm Jeri Walters

loreley0628

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3467 on: October 26, 2017, 04:10:32 AM »
Hi there. 28 yo Dutchie here. I recently started looking into financial topics such as retirement, got a big fat shock when the government kindly informed me that my full retirement age is going to be approximately 70,6 years, then decided to turn my life around completely. Found MMM through a friend :)

I've always been relatively responsible with money. Never spent outside my means, and no debt besides a mortgage (bought my house when it was extremely cheap and interest was low, lucky me). But I also never seriously considered saving money. I love my job, but I'd love it even more if it wasn't absolutely necessary for survival. Now I just want to accumulate fu-money and make sure I do not have to work til that dreaded age of 70,6 (or 67, or 60, or heck, 50).

I'll probably mostly lurk and soak up all your knowledge!
« Last Edit: October 26, 2017, 04:13:32 AM by brilliantyears »

Captain DIY

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
    • DIY to FI
« Reply #3468 on: October 26, 2017, 09:39:03 AM »
Hi, Double Junior Mustache Captain DIY here. I am an electrician who dabbles in other, slightly less harmful vocational activities around the house including knife juggling and raising chickens and children, in that order. I write a blog about DIY and the money saving potential found therein at diytofi.blog. I'm on my way to going Full Mustachian, working my way through the posts one at a time. I'm currently up into 2012. I've been slightly mustachios all my life without realizing it, as my father is an old hippie build-your-own-barn-with-some-leftover-utility-poles and live-on-less-than-$10k type of guy. I'm excited to grow my follicles beyond the skin level by dipping into the forum world!
« Last Edit: October 28, 2017, 06:34:51 AM by Captain DIY »

Ms.BecomingFI

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
  • On the Journey
« Reply #3469 on: October 27, 2017, 08:40:18 AM »
Hello! 

New to the MMM forums but long time reader of the blog.  In Northern Virginia area, engineer, 34, female. 

I have always lived pretty frugally even before discovering FI was a thing.  I have tended to take sabbaticals from work every couple years (unfortunately delaying FI before I found MMM and knew what FI was and that it was even possible!)  But well on my way to FI and can't wait!  I mean, CAN'T WAIT!  Looking for motivation to keep in the workforce and saving these last few years of the pursuit! =)  Anyone else struggling with the last few years and can offer some advice?

Also have attended a couple of the local NoVA meetups and love to hear from like minded people in the area.  Say hi!
« Last Edit: October 27, 2017, 08:43:20 AM by Ms.InPursuitOfFI »

KTG

• Stubble
« Reply #3470 on: October 27, 2017, 11:03:55 AM »
Hi, been a lurker on here for a year or so, and are amazed daily with the interesting things I read in this forum. Thought I would finally contribute.

99to1percent

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
    • https://99to1percent.com
« Reply #3471 on: October 27, 2017, 04:58:31 PM »
Hi guys,

We have been a fan of MMM for some time now and we have finally started our own blog [MOD EDIT: Spam Link Removed.]  to talk about our journey to FIRE and give some tips along the way. 

We had poor, humble beginnings as broke, new immigrants to US and Canada. We put ourselves through school, worked 2-3 jobs at the same time, barely had food to eat, lived in not so safe neighborhood surrounded by alcoholics, gang members, gamblers, prostitutes, drug dealers/users,…

But we were able to overcome the challenges, graduate college, and get good jobs and were able to increase our annual Income from $0 to $160K to $400K+ and on track to doubling it in the next 5 years which will allow us to achieve FI and FF very early and pursue some of our passions such as opening some type of school for kids especially underprivileged kids.

Looking forward to interacting with y'all.  Thanks
« Last Edit: October 29, 2017, 09:35:35 PM by arebelspy »

CryptoDoop

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
  • The future currency?
« Reply #3472 on: October 28, 2017, 04:35:22 AM »
Hi i'm Thomas and i play around with Bitcoins

Mrs Hen

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3473 on: October 28, 2017, 05:06:05 AM »
Hi, I'm Caroline.

I'm 47 years old and living and working in the South East of England.  Hoping to make that just living in the South East as soon as I can!

unexpected_mustache

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3474 on: October 28, 2017, 08:37:37 PM »
Hi everyone,
Canadian here.  Moved from Canada to UK to Australia and now in Singapore. 

E.T.

• Bristles
« Reply #3475 on: October 29, 2017, 03:25:11 PM »
Hello, I'm E.T.

I always felt like an alien but after reading MMM forums for a while, realized that there are other people like me out there. I am naturally cheap but not advanced in the ways of making my money work for me. I've learned a lot lurking and look forward to contributing.

I just turned 29, I'm married, own a home in a U.S. city, and plan for kids in the future. I hope to be FIRE'd by 40, and then be able to start my own business if I choose to.

Quackersnatched

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3476 on: October 29, 2017, 08:39:51 PM »
Hi everyone! I'm Quackersnatched. My favorite TV show is Duck Tales.

LilMissMinimalist

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3477 on: October 29, 2017, 09:18:23 PM »
Ahoy!

I'm here because I'm ready to stop treading water and learn some endurance technique. I tell everyone how focused I am on "paying down my debt" but it's been two years and it doesn't seem to have really gone anywhere. I'm not getting any further behind ... but I'm not making much progress either.

I want to leave my job. I want to leave my city. I'm giving myself a year starting November 1. I put together a financial plan, and if I can stick to it I will be debt-free. Sometimes worry I cling to my debt because it gives me an excuse to avoid the uncertainty of change. This will be as much an emotional journey as a financial one.

Hoping participating in this forum will keep me on task. 

Acolli11

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3478 on: October 29, 2017, 09:40:33 PM »
Hi Everyone, my name's Aaron, I'm 21 I actually love my full time job! But the work I do doesn't really pay much, take home around 42000 and debt up to my ears. Hoping I can get someinsight into building a more independent life for my family.

ACyclist

• Bristles
« Reply #3479 on: October 30, 2017, 04:17:09 PM »
Hello Moustache community.
Recently, I found this community.  It seems very helpful.  I hope I can learn as well as contribute to the cause of greater good.

CardinalHogz

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3480 on: November 02, 2017, 07:42:03 AM »
Hi Guys,

Budding Moustachian from London here. Became aware of MMM through his appearance on the Tim Ferris podcast and since then, have read pretty much every article of relevance to me, and "The Magic of Thinking Big" cover to cover.

I've started implementing some of the advice contained in the MMM's posts and the replies already, very early in my journey but keen to contribute where i can. Going to have some big lifestyle changes over the next few years (read: wedding, first kid etc) so keen to understand how others have transitioned through this too and maintained their FIRE-type aspirations.

Nice to be part of such a positive community - drop me a message if you think we can help each other!

Cheers,

CardinalHogz

diapasoun

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #3481 on: November 03, 2017, 02:19:02 PM »
I'm diapasoun, and have been periodically visiting this site for a while... finally deciding to get really serious about getting myself out of the rat race. I've never been a high spender, but I wouldn't call myself naturally frugal, either; I have a weakness for good food and good books. I'm looking forward to being part of the community here and getting (and hopefully givng!) help.

I'm 31, in a long-term relationship, about at the point where we start talking about marriage; no kids, no current plans for them. I have a PhD and work in tech, and am probably underpaid but that's a fish for a different post. As you can guess from the tech bit, I live in everyone's favorite HCOL area, the SF Bay (blessedly in one of the cheapest parts). I definitely have ambitions of moving elsewhere, just have to figure out the details of that (including that whole "marriage?" question).

Total debt is about $32k in student loans, to be paid off within the next 7 years, and $5k in a car loan (yeah, I know). I also paid off about $8k of credit card debt last year, accumulated from moving and just being a total freaking idiot after leaving grad school for an actual living wage. In total savings, I'm currently at $15k in 401k, $2.8k in HSA, and about $8k in my emergency fund. I plan to be in positive net worth waters by summer 2018. My current SR of net is 31%, and I'm trying to figure out how to get that much, much higher -- at the current rate, I'm on track to retire by the usual age, but I am already Extremely Over the corporate world and want to get myself into a much freer position.

FIREwalker Fed

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3482 on: November 04, 2017, 12:17:57 PM »
Hi...I'm Mike.  Family of four, two dogs, and about 6 years until FI.  Happy to meet everyone, and to be a part of this community!

stingrayfunk

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3483 on: November 05, 2017, 05:53:59 AM »
Hey Everyone,

It's a pleasure to be here! Lovely to meet you all. :-)

I'm new and I've just posted a topic on Throw Down the Gauntlet:

https://forum.mrmoneymustache.com/throw-down-the-gauntlet/reaching-out-to-london-mustachians/

Thanks,
S

SaucyAussie

• Bristles
« Reply #3484 on: November 06, 2017, 07:12:30 AM »
Hi All - I'm Robert, 47 years old, 2 kids, divorced.  I got a late start on this caper but I have make up for it the last couple of years and hope to be able to FIRE around 52.

Bell

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3485 on: November 06, 2017, 11:33:47 AM »
Hey folks. I'm a 28 year old librarian looking to retire before 40 or at least be FI.

Gaurav

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3486 on: November 09, 2017, 09:58:00 AM »
Hi Everyone,

My name is Gaurav. I am 34 years old and based out of India. India, traditionally, has been a saving oriented society. With economic liberalization and globalization, consumerism is being heavily promoted in the country.

While I am a junior mustachian, I inherited habit of frugality from my parents. I don't let credit card debt pile up and haven't had a single cent of interest and finance charge ever since I started using credit card. Not many people in India use credit card in the first place. I have some savings (8 months liquidity), some long term investments (mostly Indian equivalent of 401k) equivalent to 12 months liquidity, negligible credit card debt. Elephant in the room is 25 year mortgage which I raised while buying an apartment 2 years back. I have prepaid most of it and the remaining will get over in next 3 years.

I have no car. I commute mostly by budget motorcycle and occasionally by bike. I live 8 miles away from my office. City transport infrastructure in my country is not at par and everyone ends up buying a motorcycle at least (it is very cheap to buy one in India compared to car. You need to fork out $1k for new budget motorcycle whereas a small hatchback car will cost $4k at least. Used cars market is not that common and reliable either.

I love endurance activities (running and hiking) and am a voracious reader. I live uncomplicated and uncluttered life. Interest is to achieve FI and move back to the countryside. Looking forward to contribute on MMM board and join the discussions.

Best regards,
Gaurav

JonEll

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3487 on: November 10, 2017, 04:48:43 PM »
Hi everyone-

I am a long-time MMM reader, just recently discovered the power of the forums.

Here to learn, get motivated, and start my path to FIRE. I work in the real estate world.

Looking forward to the discussions!

ChewBarker

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
  • I'm a Debt Murderer
« Reply #3488 on: November 11, 2017, 06:25:28 PM »
Hi there, I'm from New Zealand and have been following MMMs blog for a while but only recently got super motivated to apply the tools of the blog to my life. I intend to retire in 4-5 years. Shame I've started a little late getting out of the consumerism life style. Buying lots of stuff doesn't make me happier. Took me a while to get this simple concept.

I have a few killer bees to kill before they sting me to death. I'm in the lucky position of having a good income of $100k plus a commercial property that provides a passive income of around $75k. I also have $400k in my superfund. I work for Air New Zealand as a Flight Planner and intend to job share 3 days on 6 days off in four years time. In the meantime I'm aggressively destroying the debt I have on our home and commercial property. The biggest light bulb moment for me from the blog is "it's not about the money". For me it's about taking control of my life and creating freedom. Even now in my debt state I feel happier knowing I am taking control of my life. Thanks MMM love you longtime.
Bret

TheWifeHalf

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3489 on: November 11, 2017, 07:42:39 PM »
Hi!
I'm 59,  and TheHusbandHalf and I have been married for 37 years and empty nesters for 3-4 years.
I guess we are already  FI, our money makes the same as he makes by working.  He does the same thing I do only on a bigger scale. He sits in front of 6 computers and tells people what to do - I sit in front of one computer at home and tell him what to do!

Yes, he's still working, until all this health care stuff is worked out nationally. He is thinking maybe in less that 3 years he retires.

I was in a car accident 10 years ago, had a closed head injury (coma, rehab patient). Though unless someone is told, it is not obvious I have any problems, but there are little things that we just can not be without guaranteed health insurance.
Why am I here?
I ended up here while doing what I normally do - using this computer to keep my brain stimulated, and decided "I bet there are things to learn here" so here I am!

FIREbender

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3490 on: November 15, 2017, 06:31:52 AM »
Hello everyone!

I found MMM almost one year ago browsing through the internet, and kept reading through all his posts. Since then I've shared with my wife and we are working together to get our net worth from the red and back to black.

Both of us are young and impatient, but working hard to achieve our goals. I've been lurking and learning on these forums for a long while now, but figured it was time to become a part of the community.

I hope to learn and grow along with the rest of you here!

Eden

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3491 on: November 15, 2017, 08:24:29 AM »
Hi, I'm Eden,

My husband and I just hit FI on May 8th 2017.  Life is good and we really enjoy the MMM blog. 

G-dog

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #3492 on: November 15, 2017, 05:43:39 PM »
Hi, I'm Eden,

My husband and I just hit FI on May 8th 2017.  Life is good and we really enjoy the MMM blog.

Woohoo!  FI! Love that you have an exact date.

Cubert

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
  • Early Retirement or BUST
    • Abandoned Cubicle
« Reply #3493 on: November 17, 2017, 04:50:06 AM »
Hello, I'm Cubert. I live in Minneapolis with my wife and two kids. My goal is to take much of what I've learned from Pete and Mrs. MM to reach an early retirement by age 46. We're using real estate and small business in conjunction with my full time corporate gig to make it happen. Oh yeah, we avoid extravagances too. Honda Fit? Yessiree. Sadly not a stick shift, but I'm not perfect. :-)

Glad to be a part of the forum! Stashes on FIRE!!!

Greenback Reproduction Specialist

• Bristles
« Reply #3494 on: November 17, 2017, 07:18:58 AM »
Hi, and welcome cubert!

KathrynM

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3495 on: November 17, 2017, 01:55:24 PM »
Hi, I just joined today. I am from Colorado and enjoy skiing, hiking, and just generally being outdoors.....

Jantoven

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3496 on: November 18, 2017, 08:34:59 PM »
Hi all!  Been lurking for awhile, decided to finally jump in and start posting.  My wife and I are in a HCOL area, grinding our way towards FI, not sure about FIRE.  Looking forward to contributing to this wonderful forum and learning from y'all.  :)

mrkm

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3497 on: November 19, 2017, 03:49:32 PM »
Hello! My name is Mike, and I'm a 30-year-old public high school teacher in the greater Seattle, WA area. My wife (29) and I have a son (18 mo.), a 2-year-old golden retriever, and a 12(ish)-year-old cat. My wife is a novelist and freelance writer. We rent a home with my brother (28), an assembler at an aerospace company. There are many factors at play in our financial decisions, so I've been doing a fair bit of research, and I recently discovered the MMM blog and community. I hope to learn a lot.

FI/RE seems impossible for us right now, but we know that we can turn "impossible" into "unlikely" and "unlikely" into "attainable" with careful planning and decision-making. That's why I'm here!

See you all around the forums.

AFinancialSavvyDoc

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3498 on: November 19, 2017, 07:55:47 PM »
Hey there!

New to the forms here.  Names Matt I am a first-year dental student and I am trying to better understand how to run a business before I actually own a business. I am strangely obsessed with being frugal and learning about finances. I want others to have the same information so I started a blog!  I'm excited to be part of this forum to learn and hopefully help others!

I like to ski and scuba dive! I am married and no kids yet!

That's me! 

AR

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3499 on: November 20, 2017, 01:13:45 PM »
Hey Hey!
I found MMM about a month ago and have been on a bit of a binge reading (almost) all MMM's posts and now into the forums. 

Bullet Point Profile:
-I'm 33yo and just relocated to South Carolina with my wife for her career and to get away from the cold (we're Canadian)
-Based on my reading, i'm pretty certain I am a Mustachian and luckily my wife is pretty darn Mustachian as well...although we didn't know that was a thing until very recently

Examples:
 - We own one car that is 16 yo
 - I ride my 20 yo mountain bike as much as I reasonably can
 - Our primary residence for the last 18 months has been a sailboat with the equivalent of about 300sqft of living space
 - Although we love the sailboat, we just bought a fixer upper house within a short bike ride of my wife's work in a great community, with cash
 - Our yearly spending is about 25K
 - We will only buy wine that comes in a box
 - There is currently a piece of tinfoil in our drying rack that has been re-used at least 5 times
 - I do a bit of work from home as a consultant, but left full-time employment 18 months ago

I feel like I've found my people here and just wanted to say Hi!!