Author Topic: Say Hi and Introduce Yourself  (Read 3317718 times)

Thinkum

• Pencil Stache
  • Life is Good
Re: Say Hi and Introduce Yourself
« Reply #3400 on: September 08, 2017, 02:39:35 PM »
Welcome iesv! I am glad you left that toxic environment and are on the road to recovery. Money isn't all there is to life and I am happy for you and your family that you realized it before there was any more harm. Take care!

Meesh

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3401 on: September 08, 2017, 02:52:39 PM »
Hey I'm Meesh,

I've known about FI for many years but was never able to make it a priority, though I have lived by many FI ways for years. Now that I feel like we will be able to do it, I've decided to show up on the forum for help and a great community to get it done. Thanks everyone!

iesv

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3402 on: September 08, 2017, 05:24:28 PM »
Thanks for the warm welcome, Thinkum.

bald_or_grey

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3403 on: September 09, 2017, 02:03:58 PM »
Hi from the wet / sunny / wet UK.

Looking forward to learning a lot

b_or_g

Hula Hoop

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3404 on: September 10, 2017, 05:22:33 AM »
Hello from a large European city.  I'm an American expat with a European husband.  We have 2 bilingual kids and an apartment in the city center.  We're both naturally mustachian and have been living this lifestyle for years - but we'd love to learn more about investing - particularly investing in Europe since we live here.

Geophine

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3405 on: September 10, 2017, 08:14:07 AM »
Hi Mustachians and Badasses,

I'm a German expat in Beijing. I come from a mustachian heritage (my dad was a mustachian who got 4 kids through private boarding school on a school directors salary) but got a bit astray after I started earning my own money. But since a few months I'm honoring my heritage again :). China is a great place to live on a super low budget once you adjust to the local livestyle (western stuff is of course all imported and heavily laden with "idiot tax").

I joined the forum because I'd like to exchange and share about my process to FIRE. It can be a bit lonely to be a mustachian among all the expats. I would also learn more about investing in Europe, since I plan to repatriate after I achieve financial independence.   

If there are more mustachians in China, I'd love to hear from you!!

Le Cycliste

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3406 on: September 10, 2017, 08:29:08 PM »
Bonjour ŕ tous,

I'm a 31 yr old from Quebec, Canada. I've been with DW for 7 years now and we have two daughters. We always had a rather frugal lifestyle except for a few less stellar decisions before our first child was born (loaned a 40k car for a while and expensive vacations). I discovered MMM a few months ago while searching for early retirement and it's been a real eye opener. We realized we were much closer to retirement after reading the 4% rule.

DW is onboard with the FIRE plan. Our plan is to achieve FI within 3 years and RE in a lower cost of living area with lots of outdoor activities (cycling, skiing, trekking, etc).

I'm excited to learn more about FIRE, read others' success stories and share our experiences on our journey to FIRE in Canada.

Cheers,

yleeinvest

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3407 on: September 12, 2017, 01:02:46 AM »
Im 27 and live in Australia. I am very keen in retiring before I am 40. I have approximately 50k USD in school loans. Excited to share my journey with you!!!

Cantwait2521

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
  • Striving for freedom 55
« Reply #3408 on: September 12, 2017, 09:07:53 AM »
Hello, I'm Candis.

Just joined after having found multiple recommendations to your site.  Looking forward to learning from this site and the people here.

IFiRun

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3409 on: September 12, 2017, 10:06:32 AM »
I'm Sarah and I FIRE in one week!!!!

I've always lived the frugal lifestyle and now at age 48 feel like I can relax and survive off my net worth ($1.4M) no matter what happens.  This forum rocks!  The community brings together a seemingly rare breed of people that work hard but stay disciplined within their financial lives to achieve freedom from the grind.  I've taken a lot of crap from family and co-workers through the years for my 'cheap' ways: bike commuting, slow and deliberate purchase decisions, minimalistic appearance, and liming resource expenditure. However, those values, calculated risk taking in investing, and a strong work ethic has now led me to peaceful mindset of having enough $$ indefinitely. 

As a single person who is the sole support of 3 kids (DH unexpectedly walked out of our lives 6 years ago), I am living proof that anyone can achieve FI.  THANK YOU MR. MM and the COMMUNITY for all of the support! I am looking forward to being lazy for a while and traveling the globe with my kids. 

Thinkum

• Pencil Stache
  • Life is Good
« Reply #3410 on: September 12, 2017, 12:33:46 PM »
Welcome and BIG congratulations IFiRun!! This community is great when the rest of the lemmings look confused and cannot fathom our choices.

atreechange

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3411 on: September 13, 2017, 03:59:20 AM »
Hello all,

My wife and I are 30 and live in Sydney, Australia. We've recently embraced the mustachian/frugal way of living and are looking forward to the journey to FIRE.

As part of the process we are looking to embark on a tree change and move to regional Australia next year where living expenses are much lower.

robirdus

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3412 on: September 14, 2017, 02:18:46 PM »
Hi,
I am robirdus from Central Europe, just over 40, with a family of 4.
I've bumped into mrmoneymustache.com when one of my friend sent me an article - I remember it was "the true cost of commuting". I was thinking what is this crap? And I've put it aside for about a year.
Then, when I was working in Moscow, for four years, mostly without family, I've re-read the article, because for some strange reason I have bookmarked it.
I was hooked and couldn't stop until I've finished all the posts.
I have started with following the expenses, and now I am in full control of my financials. My target is to change my career by (around) 2020, because what I was doing in the past 12 years has started to erode my health. I am an executive manager now and I want to be a LION TAMER!

Clookie

• Stubble
« Reply #3413 on: September 15, 2017, 08:19:54 AM »
Hello! I'm Claudia and I live in Central Europe. I am married, 1 kid, we have no debt and we are on our path to FI. I read Mr Money Mustache last year and I enjoyed every post, then forgot about everything. We are naturally quite frugal, but some MMM's ideas didn't quite made sense for me. Until now. Now I enjoy riding my kick scooter every working day both to the office and to the court house. At first I was given a few odd looks, since I'm a lawyer and am also known for wearing high heels (I still wear the heels, I simply carry the shoes in my backpack when I am riding the kick scooter). I am looking forward to implementing more of MMM ideas into my life.

Remnace

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3414 on: September 15, 2017, 09:10:55 AM »
Hey all!

I'm a 23 year old software engineer in Huntsville, Alabama. I graduated with my bachelors in May and discovered MMM shortly after. I'm fairly new to the FIRE scene, but I've always known that working the traditional 40 years didn't appeal to me. Currently I have debt in the form of student loans and a car loan, but I'm not worried because I'll have those paid off within a year (hopefully).

I'm excited to join the community here and look forward to interacting with like minded people!

apkanne

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3415 on: September 15, 2017, 10:47:24 AM »
Hi, i'm Anne, 26 years old, from Orlando, FL. I have been lurking for over a year. Finally joined! I am a systems engineer, and I want to get into real estate landlording.

Thanks!

stripeshirt

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
  • Take it easy on the brakes, champ!
    • FI Exec
« Reply #3416 on: September 15, 2017, 08:54:38 PM »
Hello all! I'm Jared from Austin and Round Rock, TX. Have you ever walked into a room before and everyone looked like you? No, you neither? Well, I imagine that feeling of belonging would be similar to what I felt when I discovered the FI community. I first read Go Curry Cracker in 2015, but didn't give it the time of day until earlier this year. Got hooked on so many awesome people in this community.

My wife and I are 35 with 2 kids and a third on the way. If all goes well, all will be born in February within 7 days of each other. That's the kind of efficiency you'd expect out of an engineer. We're from Michigan and went to UofM, but in Austin since graduation.

I'm here because I love to learn and hope to contribute to this community. We aspire to FI in 10-12 years. Since we learned of FI so late, lifestyle inflation has led us to a pretty high cost of living (relative to some of the FI people I follow). Our friends think we're nuts to say that we're going to retire before our kids graduate high school. I'm OK with that kind of crazy!

Glad to be here!

bankrupt

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3417 on: September 17, 2017, 03:47:56 AM »
Hi all,

My name is Brody I live in Western Australia I have been a long time lurker finally decided to join the forum.

Padrepapp

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3418 on: September 20, 2017, 02:19:52 AM »
Hi,

I'm David, living in Hungary. Just found this great site and forum, and started to lurk around.
Hope to find some good tips for people in Eastern Europe.

Anatidae V

• Walrus Stache
  • Nullus Anxietas
« Reply #3419 on: September 20, 2017, 04:32:13 AM »
Hi all,

My name is Brody I live in Western Australia I have been a long time lurker finally decided to join the forum.
Hi Brody! We have an active Meetup thread if you're interested after you've wandered around the forum a bit :) look for the "Perth Meetup" thread.

robirdus

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3420 on: September 24, 2017, 01:17:46 AM »
Hi,

I'm David, living in Hungary. Just found this great site and forum, and started to lurk around.
Hope to find some good tips for people in Eastern Europe.

Hi David,
Hungary is in Central Europe' don't be pusillanmous :)
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Central_Europe
Welcome my fellow countrymate.

joepaperstackers

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3421 on: September 26, 2017, 04:34:47 PM »
Hey all!

I just wanted to introduce myself now that I've finally officially joined the forums.

My name is Joe and I, along with my buddy Taylor, started a new personal finance blog PaperStackers.com.

We've been working to get it off the ground still but hopefully you'll start to see us around more.

If anyone has any tips or advice for a new blogger, I'm all ears!

I look forward to connecting with as many of you as possible!

-Joe

Soonerado

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3422 on: September 27, 2017, 04:10:32 PM »
Hello,
I am Brian from Colorado Springs, Co. Any Mustachians around the Springs?

jordanread

« Reply #3423 on: September 28, 2017, 04:35:37 AM »
Hello,
I am Brian from Colorado Springs, Co. Any Mustachians around the Springs?

Yeah. We do meet ups a few times a year, and we stay in communication in between. Not a huge group, but a pretty consistent one. So far, we've done a BBQ at my house (smoked meat), hanging out at Memorial Park, and hiking in Palmer Park. A couple of us did the Starlight this year too. We have a main thread that is general plans, and then we make a separate thread for each meetup. Jump on in here. I'm pretty much the most active on the forums, but the stuff you post does get read.

alena30

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3424 on: September 29, 2017, 03:38:37 AM »
Hi,
everyone,
My name is Alena sedina, I'm a financial advisor at velocity group India. I'm married and have a 5 years old daughter.

ExpatPat

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3425 on: September 29, 2017, 02:49:28 PM »

Hi there!

heard the term Money Moustache mentioned here and there but finally stumbled here via search for 'credit utilization'

So, I think I will stick around.

Expat needing to build credit for personal loan to build a house in Mexico.

Of course I happily live a frugal life where most folks love to throw money -clothes entertainment restaurants cars- so that travel and education and adventure are possible.

My man started a small software company in 2004 with all our equity. It's doing well now after scraping by during the recession. Still, we really have no savings or retirement plan or college fund for our teen.

Instead of socking away now that he has a good monthly income, we bought a lot in Mexico and will build when we pay that off (seller financed) in a year or so.
Seems like a good piggy bank. Could take an extra 6mo to save for the build but I reckon with a little effort I can get an affordable loan and get out of a rental sooner.

So begins my journey trying to understand Money. Maybe in 5yrs when the company sells, I will have to understand a lot of money. Maybe.

cheers,
Pat

TheFinancialSquirrel

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
    • The Financial Squirrel
« Reply #3426 on: September 30, 2017, 11:05:38 AM »
Hi, We are a couple looking to retire early in India in 2027. A long way off I know. Here to learn more about mustachian principles and figure out how to improve our financial life. Trying to blog our experiences at thefinancialsquirrel.com

advanced

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
  • verba volant, bits persist
« Reply #3427 on: September 30, 2017, 02:47:10 PM »
Hi guys, my name is Nico, italian, 30, married, sw engineer, living in Barcelona.

I got a bit of good and bad luck with bitcoin, left regular job, trying to build my future.  In the last three years I got a bit addicted to luxury shit and comfy life, and realised that spoiling myself isn't taking me anywhere.  MMM came to rescue at the right timing.

I have the luck of having one of the most incredible examples of frugal life nearby : my dad.

I want to join this community to stop fucking up money and buying stuff, and focus on badassity .

Cheers
« Last Edit: September 30, 2017, 02:48:51 PM by advanced »

hal

• Stubble
« Reply #3428 on: October 01, 2017, 08:13:45 PM »
Hi there! I have lurked on the MMM forums for a while, and I've known about MMM for a few years now. But I have never fully committed to the lifestyle, and I have sometimes let convenience overpower common sense. I hope that by starting to post, I will become more committed -- through the act of writing -- to my long-term financial goals. I have a lot to learn and a lot to optimize in my life, so I am excited.

p.s. my handle (Hal) is a reference to two of my favorite protagonists in literature (from Henry IV and Infinite Jest)

CowboyAndIndian

• Handlebar Stache
    • KOWines: Deep discount wine/spirits store.
« Reply #3429 on: October 02, 2017, 05:42:27 AM »

p.s. my handle (Hal) is a reference to two of my favorite protagonists in literature (from Henry IV and Infinite Jest)

Love that you put where you get your name from. I was thinking 2001 Space Odessey, but that would have been all upper case.

The story of my screen name: I am of Indian origin, but once when I wore a bola tie to work, my boss told me that I could not be a Cowboy and an Indian.

Anyone introducing yourself, let us know where you get your name from.

jordanread

« Reply #3430 on: October 02, 2017, 07:38:24 AM »

Love that you put where you get your name from. I was thinking 2001 Space Odessey, but that would have been all upper case.

The story of my screen name: I am of Indian origin, but once when I wore a bola tie to work, my boss told me that I could not be a Cowboy and an Indian.

Anyone introducing yourself, let us know where you get your name from.

Don't gunk up this thread, though. We have a pretty awesome thread regarding usernames here.

FrenchMoustache

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3431 on: October 02, 2017, 08:10:31 AM »
Hello,

FrenchMoustache here (not very original name, but...). 37 from Paris, with a wife and a 6y old kid. Discovered MMM's blog during the summer, binged-read it and start to apply some stuff (was already living frugally anyway)...

Will be happy to exchange with everybody, and most especially with those in France, as the fiscal situation is quite different...

HuggingSkunk

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3432 on: October 05, 2017, 05:07:50 AM »
Hi, I'm Helen.
I like to create waves.

Fhytrvin

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3433 on: October 06, 2017, 01:16:52 AM »
Hello everyone, I am new in here too.

CowboyAndIndian

• Handlebar Stache
    • KOWines: Deep discount wine/spirits store.
« Reply #3434 on: October 06, 2017, 03:15:31 PM »
Hi, I'm Helen.
I like to create waves.

From Troy I assume ;-)

SubmarineNavigator

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
  • enjoying life :)
« Reply #3435 on: October 07, 2017, 04:47:18 PM »
Greetings everyone, I am Galen.

I served 20 years in the US Navy. Mostly on subs.

Along the way we owned various Multi-Family-Residences [Triplexes, Four-plexes and a Five-plex] one at each duty station. My wife is very frugal and she managed our properties while I was deployed underwater.

She and I both took courses on budgeting and we both served as budget counselors to help sailors [omg, most sailors have problems with their household budgeting]. She and I also took the free IRS courses to become tax-preparers. There we learned how to itemize our taxes and we developed our tax strategy to allow us to stop paying into Income Taxation. We both prepared tax filings for fellow sailors for 10+ years.

In 2001 I reached 20-years of Active Duty service and I was booted out onto pension due to their High-Year-Tenure policy [I had become too old to continue to serve]. We sold our remaining Triplexes and Four-plexes and we used the cash to buy a homestead in rural Maine. Where we live to this day, we are off-grid organic farmers now.

:)

Thinkum

• Pencil Stache
  • Life is Good
« Reply #3436 on: October 07, 2017, 05:01:01 PM »
Welcome Galen aka SubmarineNavigator! That is a most awesome story! Living the dream it sounds like. Kudos!

FI-in-no-time

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3437 on: October 07, 2017, 09:52:16 PM »
Hello everyone,

I'm Scott from Nebraska.  I've been following the MMM blog for about a year now and recently started spending time on this forum.  I retired from the Air Force but not from work.  I'm still doing the 9-5 but I'd like to retire completely in the near future.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2017, 10:57:27 AM by FI-in-no-time »

Weisse_Rose

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3438 on: October 07, 2017, 10:51:43 PM »
Hello everyone, just call me Weisse Rose (White Rose). My real name and location are... redacted for what should be fairly obvious reasons.

I only got my first "real" (actually second) career type job in the past few years (I teach at a community college) and I've been pushing a very high savings rate since starting.

middo

• Handlebar Stache
  • Learning.
« Reply #3439 on: October 08, 2017, 01:19:09 AM »
Hi Everyone,

I started reading MMM about April this year and had a bit of a revelation.  I'm nearing 50, married, and our youngest of 3 is about to finish high school.  We have lots of assets, and lots of debt.  We have also had some interesting conversations over the last few weeks.  Looks like some restructuring is on our horizon, and a "save $82,000 in 15 months" challenge for ourselves.

We live in country Western Australia.  Lots of transport costs.  Rethinking so much of our lives....

Cheers
middo.

Jack E

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3440 on: October 08, 2017, 03:02:36 PM »
Hi, I'm Jack, a mid-30's entrepreneur in Alabama. I've been reading the MMM blog for some time, but this is my first foray into the forums. I look forward to meeting awesome people here, contributing what I can, and continuing to find the inspiration and support to reach FI before 40.

Quick question: Do you know where on the forums I should post a question related to purchasing a car? I can't seem to find a location for discussion of automobiles. Thanks!

Thinkum

• Pencil Stache
  • Life is Good
« Reply #3441 on: October 08, 2017, 03:31:13 PM »
Welcome Jack. You can post a question about an automobile or otherwise in the "Ask a mustachian" section.

Jack E

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3442 on: October 08, 2017, 04:13:15 PM »
Thanks, Thinkum. Good to be here, and I'll head over to "Ask a Mustachian".

pecunia

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #3443 on: October 08, 2017, 06:41:24 PM »
Hi There - I'll tell you right from the get-go - You know pecunia is not my real name.

I used an unusual handle.  It is the root of the word pecuniary.  I figured most of this thing will be about money so I think it is appropriate.  Although, it kind of reminds me of petunia which makes me sound a little fruity.

I have enough saved up to let her go, but I am thinking of waiting until next Summer when I am 62.

I am an engineer that has been working in all parts of the US.  Right now I am working on small construction jobs in the electric power industry.  I do not work near my home so I've been living out of a suitcase.  I'm getting tired of it.  I have a lot of dreams / interests that do not relate well to what I am presently doing and wish to pursue these dreams.

I am expecting a lot of good advice on this blog.  I've already seen quite a bit.  It's like borrowing your brains and I thank you for it.

silverlombard

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3444 on: October 08, 2017, 08:22:04 PM »
hi, Im Silverlombard

GotStacheNotCash

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3445 on: October 09, 2017, 07:33:24 AM »
Hi all,  I'm GotStacheNotCash and, as the name implies, I have an emergency fund, a few decent if new mindsets on spending, and a lot of debt to deal with.  Hoping to get some advice here on the forums, get my life (read: financial state) to feel less overwhelming, maybe find something I'm passionate about, and definitely some day give back once I'm on the other side of this journey!

FriedaClaxton

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3446 on: October 09, 2017, 11:21:11 AM »
Hello!  I am brand new here, and kind of a moron about money. Never had a budget in my life and learning at way too late in life.  I don't like being broke, and I need to nip it in the bud!

MMMApp

• Administrator
  • 5 O'Clock Shadow
    • Mr. Money Mustache App
« Reply #3447 on: October 09, 2017, 02:38:05 PM »
Hi,

We're Jon & Helen and we decided to jump into FI after meeting Pete at Camp Mustache 2016 and again in Ecuador at Chautauqua 2016. After great conversations about what we enjoy doing with our time we decided to leave our regular jobs and create the MMM App. Our hope is to grow the Mustachian community by providing a tool for people to connect with each other.

We have two young daughters and have been truly enjoying the time we get to spend with them. We now have the opportunity to volunteer in their classrooms, attend their events, and generally just hang out together. This is quite the change from the 1-2 hour commute we had last year and the feedback from the girls so far is they love having us around more.

One of our favorite articles is http://www.mrmoneymustache.com/2012/10/08/how-to-go-from-middle-class-to-kickass/. We created a spreadsheet from the table in this article and used it as a guide to reduce our spending. Our hope is to turn this into a tool within the app someday to help others following a similar path.

Looking forward to enjoying the journey together,
Jon & Helen

keeneye

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
    • Moneyhawk App
« Reply #3448 on: October 09, 2017, 11:44:49 PM »
Hey everybody,

The Mr. Money Mustache blog posts showed up on my radar about 4 years ago at a time when I was just starting my career as a digital product designer and generating income. I put my head down and cleared out my student debt. Now, I'm working remotely and trying to keep my expenses level as I travel.

I admit I haven't focused on my retirement much yet but I am glad there is a large body of writing and a community forum that I can look to when I have questions!

Frequently, I am thankful that my dad hired me to reconcile the family's checkbooks when I was in middle school. I became familiar with the numbers and what to expect. It's amazing to think of reconciling checkbooks anymore. A few years later, online banking became a thing.

Looking forward to reading past and future forum discussions!
Best,
Nicki

EngineeringFI

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3449 on: October 12, 2017, 11:00:38 PM »
Hello!

31 year-old electrical engineer here in sunny Tucson, AZ. I have been on the financial independence journey for a few years now, but until now it's just been something I kept to myself. I didn't realize there was a whole online community of people working towards the same future that I want! Finding Mr. Money Mustache's blog was a total epiphany that I'm not totally weird in wanting to walk away from corporate life in my 30s...

I have already paid of all student loans and have no other debt. A little over a year ago I paid off my house, which is a foreclosure I purchased in 2014 and have been slowly fixing up. Now I'm in the phase of putting as much money as I can into investments every month and potentially acquiring some rental properties in the next few years. My goal date for FIRE is in about 5.5 years.

Looking forward to learning a lot of new things and asking the community here a ton of questions!