Author Topic: Say Hi and Introduce Yourself  (Read 3317602 times)

financiallypossible

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
  • FIRE:2017 "Without music, life would be a mistake.
    • Financially Possible
Re: Say Hi and Introduce Yourself
« Reply #3100 on: February 01, 2017, 11:27:23 AM »
Hi,

I'm in my mid 30's and married with 1 child. We achieved FI at the New Year of 2017. I'll be RE in 3 months and my wife will retire in late Feb.

We just learned about the FIRE movement in June of 2016, but have been living that lifestyle for over a decade. We've been networking since August 2016 through the BAMMM (Bay Area MMM meetup group) and the Mustachians on Facebook group. We're looking forward to meeting more people in the community at future Fin Con's and the like.

We write 4 blogs on a variety of topics and run a YouTube channel. Our vision for retirement includes living the simple life, participating heavily in the PTA once our young one enters school in a few years, volunteering, and diversifying our portfolio through real estate investing.

I'm a big fan of Pete's (MMM) writing style and content.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2017, 11:40:01 AM by financiallypossible »

fitnesswealth

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3101 on: February 01, 2017, 06:56:50 PM »
Greetings everyone,

To be honest I have only stumbled into MMM recently. I have heard him from other podcasts and such. I follow other bloggers in the industry that is in his circle. I work in the aviation field in the military, I am nearing my goal of financial freedom (from consumer debt) the goal is before July of this year. I look forward to learning and contributing with everyone here.

RobinRobinRobin

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3102 on: February 01, 2017, 11:56:53 PM »
Howdy folks!

I'm Robin. I'm a 21-year-old gal working as a mechanical engineer-in-training. I live on a cozy houseboat in northern Canada. I like to build and fix and grow things. My weekends are spent completing ultra-endurance suffer-fests by bike, ski, canoe and foot with my dog Toko. I play guitar and mandolin in a folk/funk band, and coach cross-country skiing.

I'm mildly obsessed with travel, and run off for a couple months each year. My goal is to transition to remote work once I get my P.Eng., travel nearly full-time, and maintain my home base in Canada.

I managed to escape university debt-free, and even had some savings. I bought a house(boat) in cash, and rent out the spare rooms on AirBnB. I'm maxing out my TFSA and RRSP, and funneling the rest into taxable accounts. I'm on track to FIRE comfortably in 8 years.

samaeryn

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3103 on: February 02, 2017, 02:00:04 PM »
Hi, I'm 41, and just an office worker who has been receiving the MMM newsletter for a few years now. I have what I think of as standard debt: an almost paid off car, a couple of credit cards, and a small amount of student loans. I want to get the car paid off asap, so I can start paying down some other stuff. Also, I need to get my spending under control! Too much dining out!

Saskatchewstachian

• Stubble
« Reply #3104 on: February 02, 2017, 03:12:46 PM »
Howdy folks!

I'm Robin. I'm a 21-year-old gal working as a mechanical engineer-in-training. I live on a cozy houseboat in northern Canada. I like to build and fix and grow things. My weekends are spent completing ultra-endurance suffer-fests by bike, ski, canoe and foot with my dog Toko. I play guitar and mandolin in a folk/funk band, and coach cross-country skiing.

I'm mildly obsessed with travel, and run off for a couple months each year. My goal is to transition to remote work once I get my P.Eng., travel nearly full-time, and maintain my home base in Canada.

I managed to escape university debt-free, and even had some savings. I bought a house(boat) in cash, and rent out the spare rooms on AirBnB. I'm maxing out my TFSA and RRSP, and funneling the rest into taxable accounts. I'm on track to FIRE comfortably in 8 years.

Hello from another Mech EIT in Canada!

Designer_Money

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3105 on: February 02, 2017, 07:21:59 PM »
Hi. I'm Andy. I'm a 23 year old Industrial Designer and going-on-one-year college graduate. I was lucky enough to graduate with no debt a score a decently-paying (52k) job in a corporate engineering department. The job's ok.... pretty boring most of the time. The idea of starting my own design consulting business in the next 5 years or so has been sustaining me through it. Stumbling upon the Mustachian philosophy has also inspired me to set some long term goals toward FIRE. The freedom it would provide is really appealing to me and I thing I value that above frivolous crap that I could be spending my money on.

So, any advice for young folks just getting started? I'm currently holding my own at 12% savings and I'm on track to 15% in the next few months with some downsizing and adjustments. I've unfortunately got a new car to pay off but that's all the debt I have. Any advice, shared experiences, or commentary would be welcome and appreciated!

Dollar Slice

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3106 on: February 02, 2017, 10:58:29 PM »
So, any advice for young folks just getting started? I'm currently holding my own at 12% savings and I'm on track to 15% in the next few months with some downsizing and adjustments. I've unfortunately got a new car to pay off but that's all the debt I have. Any advice, shared experiences, or commentary would be welcome and appreciated!

You'll be in great shape if you're starting with good habits at your age! Advice: Make solid investment decisions and take advantage of 401(k)/IRAs - the money you invest early has the most time to grow! More advice: don't let your lifestyle inflate with any salary increases.

homewithwheels

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3107 on: February 03, 2017, 08:45:50 AM »
Howdy to all!!!

been creeping the forum for some time, finally decided to get into the discussion.

Quitting the 9-5 April 1 and moving on to work that I love.  good financial choices, 4 investment properties and a very low cost of living have made this choice possible! 

44 years old, married with 2 kids out of the house already.  Im headed to Colorado to become a river guide for summer 2017.  Life is good!

Fish Sweet

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3108 on: February 03, 2017, 01:29:40 PM »
Hi. I'm Andy. I'm a 23 year old Industrial Designer and going-on-one-year college graduate. I was lucky enough to graduate with no debt a score a decently-paying (52k) job in a corporate engineering department. The job's ok.... pretty boring most of the time. The idea of starting my own design consulting business in the next 5 years or so has been sustaining me through it. Stumbling upon the Mustachian philosophy has also inspired me to set some long term goals toward FIRE. The freedom it would provide is really appealing to me and I thing I value that above frivolous crap that I could be spending my money on.

Hello from one young Mustachian to another!  I'm 26-turning-27 this year, earning an income similar to yours, and trying to improve my own savings rate all the time!

One thing that I recommend doing, if you aren't doing it already, is to start tracking all of your spending.  Rent, utilities, groceries, eating out, dating, hobbies, car repair, the dollar you tip your parking attendant, all of it.   Track it, log it, break it down, and that's where you find out where you can trim the fat-- where are you spending the most, and where can you afford to cut back the most?  Look to some of the numbers our fellow great MMM people are providing for inspiration-- if they can get their grocery/utilities/clothing expenditures down to XXX number, why can't I?  Another side effect of tracking is that it makes you very aware of the money you spend, because you don't want to just toss a twenty at your dinner bill and forget about it, you need to log it later!

Also, if you're at all like me, and have a 20-somethingish friend group that loooves going out, eating out, and hanging out, don't be afraid to start proposing some cheaper alternatives for having fun.  Instead of eating out every Friday, now my best friend and I walk to the grocery store together, shop together, and prepare dinner together at half the price and twice the time spent with each other.  Friend wants to go to a classy and expensive bar where each beer costs upwards of $7?  Propose a beer tasting among friends where you each go and pick up the most interesting or weird bottle of beer, and have a vote for whoever picked the Weirdest and whoever picked the Best.  You don't need to be Mr. Killjoy-Let's-Stay-At-Home every time, but just imagine-- avoiding 2 expensive $50 hangout trips each month in lieu of $10 cheap hangouts makes for a savings of $80 each month, or $960 a year-- almost a thousand dang dollars for the same amount of fun.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2017, 04:45:09 AM by Fish Sweet »

BuffaloStache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3109 on: February 03, 2017, 11:26:41 PM »
Also, if you're at all like me, and have a 20-somethingish friend group that loooves going out, eating out, and hanging out, don't be afraid to start proposing some cheaper alternatives for having fun.  Instead of eating out every Friday, now my best friend and I walk to the grocery store together, shop together, and prepare dinner together at half the price and twice the time spent with each other.  Friend wants to go to a classy and expensive bar where each beer costs upwards of $7?  Propose a beer tasting among friends where you each go and pick up the most interesting or weird bottle of beer, and have a vote for whoever picked the Weirdest and whoever picked the Best.  You don't need to be Mr. Killjoy-Let's-Stay-At-Home every time, but just imagine-- avoiding 2 expensive $50 hangout trips each month in lieu of $10 cheap hangouts makes for a savings of $80 each month, or $960 a year-- almost a thousand dang dollars for the same amount of fun.

This alone has made a dramatic impact on my savings rate. Highly recommend.

FI4good

• Stubble
  • EU citizen
« Reply #3110 on: February 07, 2017, 11:54:07 AM »
Hi all, 

Have crashed and burned in life a few times, had time out from work 29-35 not FI but had FU money so i used that until i had none left, then had to return to work, I had to come back to the UK and face all of it again . Bleugh ! 

Life begins at 40 is the old addage, so i thought i'd apply myself to FI , FI for good this time.

Think it's great to see so many younger people on MMM getting it together to experience the life i had a brief taste of but permanently .
« Last Edit: September 17, 2017, 08:34:51 AM by FI4good »

Vlad

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3111 on: February 07, 2017, 03:29:25 PM »
Hi,

I'm a long-time lurker (almost 2 years).  Figured it was time I stopped sponging and started getting involved (and hopefully contributing).  I found MMM via the "50 Jobs over $50k" when my son was trying to decide what to do after high school.  I had always been somewhat frugal and saved a little, but figured I'd keep slogging along until "normal" retirement age.  The blog and forum opened my eyes to the possibilities.  In the past couple years I've changed a lot ... reduced spending, increased savings, optimized investments, started monetizing my DIY skills though side gigs, and have a plan to FIRE in 7 years (age 52)! 

financiallypossible

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
  • FIRE:2017 "Without music, life would be a mistake.
    • Financially Possible
« Reply #3112 on: February 08, 2017, 10:19:27 AM »
Quote from: Vlad
The blog and forum opened my eyes to the possibilities.  In the past couple years I've changed a lot ... reduced spending, increased savings, optimized investments, started monetizing my DIY skills though side gigs, and have a plan to FIRE in 7 years (age 52)!

Excellent! And congratulations :)

Think it's great to see so many younger people on MMM getting it together to experience the life i had a brief taste of but permanently .

Agree, I really want to educate and encourage the young generation (age 15-22) to increase the number of people who work first and have children later (after their few working years are done or with only a slight overlap). Happier and more focused parents = a better future society.

SheepDog

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3113 on: February 08, 2017, 01:46:16 PM »
Hello from Ohio!

Read MMM articles for some time now online and finally jumped on the forum. 

I've been a YNAB user for many years and just got the Wife someone on board with it as well.  Been together for 7 years and just got married last fall.  Just finished up combining all of our finances this past month or so.  Trying to get all the ducks in a row before minions start appearing lol.

I'll be posting a case study thread soon so we can get an idea where to improve.

Anyway, looking forward to learning lots and meeting new people!

MattS

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3114 on: February 09, 2017, 08:56:14 AM »
Hello! 
I've been lurking on here for a few years, joined last summer, and am finally posting.  I've learned a lot from both MMM's blog and from this forum. 
I'm 39, married, two kids, working for Mega-Corp as a chemical/process engineer/scientist, wife works part time.  We live in eastern Pennsylvania, in a small suburbany town.  I'm looking at pulling the plug in 4-5 years. 
Thanks for all the useful information over the years, I'll try to contribute when I can.

ChrisUSAF34

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3115 on: February 09, 2017, 02:04:54 PM »
Hey Everyone,

MMM, frugality, FI and all the positive personal/social side effects just make sense to me. I'm Chris, an active-duty Air Force officer/pilot guy. I'm trying to get to MMM 'level 2'; I think I'm close but could use help for sure. I can pull an active duty retirement at twenty years (nine years from now) and hope that along with my aggressive savings I will enjoy real freedom. I've always been a saver/investor but only found MMM in the last year. Now I feel like I'm pushing it on everyone who is open to listen. Hope to learn a lot more, share, etc. Thanks!

Chris

Halligan

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3116 on: February 09, 2017, 03:17:33 PM »
Hello everyone!

I recently found MMM from a post on Reddit.

I'm a 27 year old Firefighter from Michigan, who is looking to maximize the income boost from my new job. I'll be making a formal introduction/asking for advice thread in the next few days, but just wanted to stop in and say hello, and thank you to the many posters whose posts I have learned so much from.

Cheers,
Halligan

albertoartis

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3117 on: February 11, 2017, 02:06:36 AM »
Hi everyone. My name is Alberto and I like to try new passive income opportunities.

kevinm62

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3118 on: February 11, 2017, 10:03:59 PM »
Hi,

I'm new to budgeting and working towards finite financial goals. I've gone down the path of churning in the past, building up an over-abundance of credit cards and credit limits. After some intermittent unemployment, I racked up a serious amount of debt which I am now focused on taking down to zero.

Heard about MMM through Biggerpockets and also found an MMM forum post while researching renting AU slots. Hope to learn more about earning some money from some of these credit cards I've been holding onto.

Thanks,

Kevin

eezema

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3119 on: February 12, 2017, 04:52:26 AM »
Hullo!

Heard about the MMM forum a year ago from my husband and have been slowly implementing strategies and advice. I've always been pretty frugal and more on the minimalist side of life, so it was right up my alley... Working my way through school (as affordably as possible) with a promised position in my mom's consulting firm that will allow me to retire within 10 years of starting. We've got one huge furbaby and a little one on the way, and are currently blasting away at the last of my debt caused by a major surgery for the aforementioned furbaby a couple of years ago. We're currently bouncing around the idea of renovating his sister's affordable, very well-located house into a more co-habitation type environment to save money and keep the tribe close (his siblings are very like-minded).

I'm very excited about the future, and glad to have found both the MMM blog and forum!

MoMMy

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3120 on: February 13, 2017, 10:01:49 AM »
Hello all!! Been reading the blog/forum for a while. Finally signed up to give/get help! :) We're soon to be a family of 5 with a stay at home parent. (P.S. My dad - my personal frugal expert - grew up in Longmont, CO in the 40s/50s!)

Jane Dough

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3121 on: February 13, 2017, 03:47:46 PM »
Hello, long time lurker here. I enjoy reading in these forums, and learn a lot from all of you. Decided it's time to finally join. Married over 40 years, retirement is imminent.

LoganRivera

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3122 on: February 14, 2017, 12:09:09 AM »
Hai guys,
I am Logan Rivera, a newbie to this forum. Happy to join this forum and glad to meet everyone.

facepalm

• Bristles
« Reply #3123 on: February 14, 2017, 09:31:42 PM »
New to the forum. Have been reading the main page articles for a while, but just now registered so I could participate in the "race to 200K" thread.

AlisR

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3124 on: February 15, 2017, 08:22:45 AM »
Hey everyone,
my name is Alison and I am 32 years old. It is not so long ago when I got married to my great husband John. We have one child. We are still working and probably will be for a couple of years.
~Have a great day

Rusty_me

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3125 on: February 15, 2017, 08:31:16 AM »
Hello fellow mustachians. New to forum but not to MMM/frugal blogs. My name is Rusty and if the daily calculations I run are correct I am FI but not yet RE due to to many unknowns in life (single, no kids, healthcare...). Really enjoying the inspiration I'm getting from this forum though. :)

Spade pot

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
  • Who's the king of your satilite castle?
« Reply #3126 on: February 15, 2017, 05:22:52 PM »
Greetings,
Have been reading and taking advise from this forum for a couple of years and feel compelled to start giving back a little. Our family of three here in South Florida have made many significant lifestyle changes and much better decisions thanks to the people who post on this site. Thank you to all who have shared vital information about there lives and situations. I look forward to posting questions, answers and comments here in the future.

SwitchValor

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3127 on: February 15, 2017, 08:10:06 PM »
Hey everyone! I'm a 26 year old artist/model/actor who's new to the world of financial literacy and independence.

I've studied entrepreneurship for the past 3 years and have had some successes, but I realize that in order to truly free myself from having to create art for others I'll have to find a way to retire and fund my own projects.

I'm reading "Your Money or your Life" and doing my best not to blame or shame myself for not starting to save earlier, but I know that as I increase my earning ability and flex my frugal muscles, I'll be in a better place.

Looking forward to learning and contributing what I can!

Quimby

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3128 on: February 15, 2017, 11:50:59 PM »
Hi! I started reading the MMM blog two months ago and have enjoyed! Sent an article to my aunt today.

Shook my friends hand that I would try biking this year. Seems a pastime for mustachians so a relevant share/intro.

Thrilled to be here! What a cool forum.

Octotat

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3129 on: February 16, 2017, 11:57:34 AM »
Hi, I'm Octotat and just found this site today and spent half the day reading it.  I feel like I've found my people!!!!!    I'm 50, no debt, paid off house, stacked 401, solid savings and planning to early retire by Christmas of this year!

Not Your Monkey

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3130 on: February 16, 2017, 09:00:03 PM »
Hi!  I've been casually lurking for the last couple months but got hooked when I found the Epic FU money thread last week. Finished reading every single post in that thread today.  Love this community!  I also feel like I have finally found my people!

CanuckExpat

• Magnum Stache
    • Freedom35
« Reply #3131 on: February 17, 2017, 06:25:53 PM »
Hi, I'm Octotat and just found this site today and spent half the day reading it.  I feel like I've found my people!!!!!    I'm 50, no debt, paid off house, stacked 401, solid savings and planning to early retire by Christmas of this year!

Congratulations! Here is a thread full of other people retiring in 2017: http://forum.mrmoneymustache.com/throw-down-the-gauntlet/target-fire-2017/

OthalaFehu

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
    • OthalaFehu
« Reply #3132 on: February 18, 2017, 09:53:39 PM »
Hi Everybody, I am back after getting banned for spamming, sorry, I do not really read the rules before I clicked on them.

Now I don't have to cry at night before I go to sleep knowing that everybody in on MMM Forum talking about money without me.

-OthalaFehu (former blogspammer)

svennman

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
  • Old, but not wise
« Reply #3133 on: February 19, 2017, 10:59:39 AM »
Just saying hi. When I gave up my job in London at 25 to go travelling around Australia and Asia I knew I was going to be hopping off the gravy train of a profitable career. I also knew I didn't want to work all hours and travel across London for 90 minutes a day to keep on this gravy train. That was 25 years ago. Unlike MMM I was not a man with a plan. The past 25 years have involved about 3 years working in a conventional job (as a high school iT teacher in the UK), short periods working intensively with IT projects and a lot of time travelling around Asia (about 7 years) or spent in Sweden, where I am currently a student. My mother died a few years ago and I have had time to reflect since then, including about her longtime partner who is just a bit older than me and has earned £40-60 thousand a year for quite a while. He has much, much, much more money set aside than I do for his retirement, but when he recently lost his job he became very concerned that he wouldn't have enough to make ends meet. He has basically worked since he was 16. He is not at all extravagant and is very capable of fixing just about any device (a great person to have around if the world went to pieces and all that was left was different bits of previously working stuff). I wonder if I have been irresponsible with my life, if I had continued at my job I would have contributed a lot of money to the UK GDP (as one of millions in the UK), rather than living frugally and both spending little and buying little, compared to others.

With about 10 years of higher education (bachelors and master's degrees) behind me I wonder if I am going to continue studying. The lifestyle suits me and I cannot think of anything that offers the flexibility to develop yourself that education does (in a safe space). Is a mad idea that anyone that wants to get an education (for whatever reason and not necessarily linked to future employment) should be able to do so?

If everyone that is currently earning $60 thousand and up stopped doing that and started spending a lot less would that be good, solve the climate change problem and result in fluffy bunnies and peace and love worldwide or would it create a meltdown of the western world? If the stock market follows the bank interest etc in a shrinking economy wont MMM ideas of living on the growth of your investment money become invalid?

I hope that this post generates some interesting and helpful comments and not ones that are going to make me afraid to post again ...   

albertoartis

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3134 on: February 21, 2017, 12:42:48 AM »
Hello, My name is Alberto. I was told about this website by my brother who has been learning here for a while now. While I have the marketing skills, everything in the marketing world is going digital and that is where I can help. So here I am, trying to help anyone looking for digital marketing experience. I will probably learn everything here also by the time I'm done. I am so glad this site exists because with I can connect with people all around the world who are looking to make extra cash, so this is perfect! Thanks Mr. Money Mustache.

MoustachePadawan

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
    • @pinoyartista
« Reply #3135 on: February 21, 2017, 02:28:11 AM »
Hi, I'm JB, from the Philippines, living in Barcelona for two years now. I'm trying to make a living with my art (shameless plug: pinoyartista.com) while working a job. Light years away from FI, but I plan to get there before 50.

Turtles All the Way Down

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3136 on: February 21, 2017, 10:09:53 AM »
Hi, I'm David and I'm here for the free advice!  Haha really I've been reading the site for a year or two and just got into the forums.  I became a widower at 25 and received a life insurance sum that I had no idea what to do with.  I paid off some debt and eventually invested the rest using an adviser, which was actually a very positive experience, other than the $75/month cost.  They encouraged me to educate myself, but unfortunately it took me 7 years to dump them.

I have since struck out to invest on my own, and I'm glad I did.  I owe a lot to websites like this where people are willing to share advice.  I feel very empowered, and I hope to reach FI within about 15 years (by age 50).

dropspindl

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3137 on: February 22, 2017, 01:50:46 PM »
I'm Erica. I've known about MMM for quite a while, but just made an account here. I live in NYC, and am surrounded by people who spend lots of money on frivolous things, so I'd love to meet other people with this lifestyle and am looking forward to some meetups. I'm a nanny, so I don't earn all that much, but I live off about $20k (and feel super extravagant and buy pretty much whatever I feel like), and save about $22k per year. So I save more than I spend, but I got started pretty late. I'm 33 and have only been saving like this for a year and a half.

I'm thinking about doing a programming bootcamp when this job ends so I can raise my earning potential.

My semi retirement plans include some combination of: fixing up a house(s), homesteading, running an AirBnb, maybe having some chickens and sheep, and dog sitting. I really like dogs, and not having a dog while I live in the city has been my biggest sacrifice to saving money.

randomgiraffe

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3138 on: February 22, 2017, 08:25:33 PM »
Hi, I found MMM in mid-2015 and it's helped me through some really tough times. I've been on this FI journey since I started working back in 1999 (seriously since 2003/4) but it was only after reading this blog and others that I was able to come up with a plan. I hope MMM and all of you out there contributing know what a difference you're making to others on the journey. Planning to FIRE on Friday June 1, 2018 and finding it difficult to think of anything else.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2017, 08:29:51 PM by randomgiraffe »

Ratherboard

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3139 on: February 23, 2017, 12:18:18 AM »
Hi, I'm Toby, 44, in debt and wishing I had seen this blog years ago.  I heard MMM on Tim Ferris' podcast the other day and I've read about 30 articles since then.  I live in friggin' Longmont and I'm just now discovering MMM??  **sigh** Time to put in motion what I've read so far...... off to find a good deal on a used Mazda3. :)

drodol

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3140 on: February 26, 2017, 02:50:23 AM »
Hi, I am Dave. I have been married for almost 10 years now. We have a 6 yo boy and a 1 month-old boy. We are currently living in the middle east. We are free of debt, don't pay for rent/car/kid's school (company provides). I am desperate to put our humble savings to work for us but still feel a bit fearful to put all our eggs in one basket. I am also not American/Canadian, so not sure how -or if at all possible- to start investing in index funds.

sllim

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3141 on: February 26, 2017, 05:14:36 AM »
Hi everyone!  I'm Bob.  I just binge-read every post from MMM over the last week.  Looking forward to meeting like minded folks here in the forum.

Married, 5 kids, and now have a plan to reach FI by 50.

oakvilleman

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3142 on: February 26, 2017, 02:21:50 PM »
Hi,

I'm Lee from Oakville, Ontario, Canada. In my late 40s. Did the MMM math and ready to retire this year.

Found out about MMM through Tim Ferriss podcast. Was big fan of "Your Money Or Your Life" book and was way down path of FI before finding MMM. Now I'm even more convinced of retirement due to MMM blog and this forum. I really like how MMM has a higher purpose of reducing consumption in the world and doing work you want to do that makes the world better (like Elon Musk on smaller scale)...but if all MMMers get together then scale is huge!!

NinetyFour

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #3143 on: February 27, 2017, 07:17:55 AM »
Lee, are you aware of this?

http://forum.mrmoneymustache.com/meetups-and-social-events/ontario%27s-own-camp-mustache-2017/

I believe there are a few spots left.

goremet

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3144 on: February 27, 2017, 08:47:50 AM »
Midwestern guy here saying Hello.  My wife and I have our first child on the way, so really pushing now to impart some financial wisdom from day 1 with the baby.  Cooking and quality food are a passion of my wife and I, so its one of our spending areas.  I'm in a great work position, and while I don't anticipate myself jumping ship from that, I'd love to have it as an option.  How we're currently living won't allow for that, so finally getting serious about it.

-goremet

RetirementManifesto

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
  • The Retirement Manifesto
    • The Retirement Manifesto
« Reply #3145 on: February 28, 2017, 06:18:34 AM »
Hi All!  I'm Fritz from The Retirement Manifesto, where I focus on Helping Others Achieve A Great Retirement!  I'm FIRE'ing in June 2018, and write about it on my blog.  Proud to be a Mustachian!!

InnTee

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3146 on: February 28, 2017, 12:54:48 PM »
Hi all! Glad I found this forum and community. I've run across some excellent ideas already!

mrblitz

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3147 on: March 01, 2017, 11:29:47 AM »
I'm a lurker for a while.   Nice to meet you all.

I've been living the mmm lifestyle all my life.

Cali Nonya

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3148 on: March 01, 2017, 12:05:06 PM »
Hello.

I referenced this forum years ago (with a different name), then life happened and I drifted away.
Now I realized it would be nice to chat with sort of like minded people so I'm back.

ScottsdaleSaver

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3149 on: March 02, 2017, 04:03:37 PM »
Hi everyone! I discovered this blog about six months ago and it has lit a fire (pun intended) under my ass. Time to stop lurking & engage with the fantastic community here.

-Alicia