Poll

Sapphire Reserve - Keeping Card (Paying $450 fee) or closing the card.

Keeping and paying the fee.
64 (59.8%)
Closing.
43 (40.2%)

Total Members Voted: 105

Voting closed: September 03, 2017, 08:55:08 AM

Author Topic: Sapphire Reserve - Who is keeping and paying the next $450 Annual Fee  (Read 17100 times)

Duke03

• Bristles
Re: Sapphire Reserve - Who is keeping and paying the next $450 Annual Fee
« Reply #50 on: August 08, 2017, 06:49:33 PM »
Has anyone had any luck trying to get Chase to lower the $450 fee or asking them to kick in 10k or 20k UR points to sweeten the deal and get you to stay on another year.  I know on the Preferred card they will do all kinds of things....  Just thinking out loud here.  I have until Jan 2018 before I start in on them and my card is up for the annual fee.

Jaguar Paw

• Stubble
« Reply #51 on: August 08, 2017, 08:44:46 PM »
I am keeping mine, but my wife is cancelling hers. The trip insurance/rental insurance/1.5x multiplier has us coming out ahead. On a side note, we both got and cancelled the Chase Sapphire Preferred last year as well and I just got the Chase Ink business for the 80K points, and she is up next to apply for that as well.  Churn baby churn.

aspiringnomad

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #52 on: August 08, 2017, 08:49:22 PM »
Any continued benefits are so drastically dwarfed by churning cards that no card is worth keeping.

Would definitely have agreed that this is universally true before issuers started placing limits on reward collection and/or the number of cards you can open within a certain timeframe. But now it's a closer call for some cards depending on your spending habits.

EconDiva

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #53 on: August 09, 2017, 03:12:14 PM »
Keeping.

I have been making travel a priority so I'll be spending plenty of that this year and the following.

I like the protections offered by the card and am going to try out the Priority Lounge benefit. Apparently, it extends to everyone in your traveling party, contingent upon the lounge's restrictions. We're visiting Portland soon and there's a lounge there where I can get a benefit of $28/person towards meals and drinks. If I take my family of 5 there to eat before we leave, that's a savings of nearly $150 right there (though of course we wouldn't max out the benefit for everyone).

I have already gotten more than $300 in benefits from Chase's customer service. I made a reservation through their portal and in spite of receiving confirmations the hotel did not get our reservation. When we arrived, they were completely sold out as was every other hotel in the downtown area except for one that cost over $600/night. Chase got us a reservation there for no additional points. Technically, I wouldn't have spent that money anyway but it was a lifesaver to get things fixed without it costing us a mint. I wonder if I would have gotten the same service if I'd only been a Chase Freedom cardholder.

I am intrigued about the rental car service, specifically the 30% discount on car rentals from National combined with the ability to get a mid-size car and then upsize for free when I get to the rental counter. Again, with a family of 5, being able to get something bigger for "free" would be cool. We have to get a mid-size no matter what and I totally regretted the sedan we ended up with last time. I realized I'll probably pay more to rent from National than a bargain rental agency but again, with 3 kids, it can be worth it to have less hassle.

You're kidding....there's a 30% National discount with this card? 

After getting gotten on a car rental in Kauai (HUGE amount as I did the dumb thing and wait til day of to get a rental...I usually do this and can bid and get a car but it didn't work out)....I would have loved to know this is advance.

I seriously have got to do better and look more into the benefits of this card.

EconDiva

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #54 on: August 09, 2017, 03:16:14 PM »
Keeping it.

After using the $300, the fee comes out to $150. I like the 1.5x multiplier and twice I've used their roadside assistance (once because I locked my keys in the car, and second time I needed to tow my car about 13 miles away). Because they compensate $50 per transaction, I paid $0 for those services.

I forgot about this!  I totally forgot the card had coverage for this but remembered at the last minute and ended up using the card for a tow back in May.  It was nice not to have to pay the entire expense out of pocket. 

EconDiva

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #55 on: August 09, 2017, 03:20:34 PM »
Keeping for now.  I'll be applying for a mortgage soon, so no credit card churning for now.  I end up covering the annual fee and then some easily, so it makes sense to keep it.

About how far in advance of prequalifying for a mortgage would you say one should quit churning?

NeonPegasus

• Bristles
    • Neon Pegasus
« Reply #56 on: August 09, 2017, 03:25:47 PM »
Keeping.

I have been making travel a priority so I'll be spending plenty of that this year and the following.

I like the protections offered by the card and am going to try out the Priority Lounge benefit. Apparently, it extends to everyone in your traveling party, contingent upon the lounge's restrictions. We're visiting Portland soon and there's a lounge there where I can get a benefit of $28/person towards meals and drinks. If I take my family of 5 there to eat before we leave, that's a savings of nearly $150 right there (though of course we wouldn't max out the benefit for everyone).

I have already gotten more than $300 in benefits from Chase's customer service. I made a reservation through their portal and in spite of receiving confirmations the hotel did not get our reservation. When we arrived, they were completely sold out as was every other hotel in the downtown area except for one that cost over $600/night. Chase got us a reservation there for no additional points. Technically, I wouldn't have spent that money anyway but it was a lifesaver to get things fixed without it costing us a mint. I wonder if I would have gotten the same service if I'd only been a Chase Freedom cardholder.

I am intrigued about the rental car service, specifically the 30% discount on car rentals from National combined with the ability to get a mid-size car and then upsize for free when I get to the rental counter. Again, with a family of 5, being able to get something bigger for "free" would be cool. We have to get a mid-size no matter what and I totally regretted the sedan we ended up with last time. I realized I'll probably pay more to rent from National than a bargain rental agency but again, with 3 kids, it can be worth it to have less hassle.

After getting gotten on a car rental in Kauai (HUGE amount as I did the dumb thing and wait til day of to get a rental...I usually do this and can bid and get a car but it didn't work out)....I would have loved to know this is advance.

The National discount didn't turn out so great. I guess the discount only applies certain times at certain places? Or something? I couldn't figure it out. They were not super competitive.

I decided that I'd prefer to reserve the car I need (mid size SUV) and not reserve a mid size sedan and cross my fingers that there would be an SUV or mini van available. Also, I didn't want to pay $12/day to enable my spouse to drive as well as me. So, I went with Enterprise for the upcoming trip. I've had nothing but good experiences with them and I'm getting too old to put up with shitty service just to save a few bucks on a rental.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ocinfo

• Bristles
« Reply #57 on: August 09, 2017, 04:46:57 PM »
Keeping.

I forgot to mention the National Executive status as one of my favorite perks. National is weird in that they are often significantly more expensive than other companies. I travel 1-2 times per month for work and we have a deal where Avis, National, etc... are all the same price so can pick the one I want. My last trip I ended up with brand new BMW convertible on a mid-size rental. Bonus points, the car got well over 30 MPG.

Catbert

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #58 on: August 09, 2017, 06:03:51 PM »
Keeping for now.  I'll be applying for a mortgage soon, so no credit card churning for now.  I end up covering the annual fee and then some easily, so it makes sense to keep it.

About how far in advance of prequalifying for a mortgage would you say one should quit churning?

Probably not a magic number since it would depend on your FICO score, the particular bank, etc.  I have excellent credit and would stop 6 months ahead of time. 

EconDiva

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #59 on: August 09, 2017, 06:44:01 PM »

Probably not a magic number since it would depend on your FICO score, the particular bank, etc.  I have excellent credit and would stop 6 months ahead of time.

Thanks.  I might be in the market for a home come fall of next year so I will really have to keep this in mind.

EconDiva

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #60 on: August 12, 2017, 09:49:57 AM »
Has anyone had any luck trying to get Chase to lower the $450 fee or asking them to kick in 10k or 20k UR points to sweeten the deal and get you to stay on another year.  I know on the Preferred card they will do all kinds of things....  Just thinking out loud here.  I have until Jan 2018 before I start in on them and my card is up for the annual fee.

I tried this today--basically strongly hinted I would keep the card if there was a way I could get another 10k points.  But that otherwise I wanted to cancel.

No go. 

My fee kicks in on October 1st.  The Representative said to try calling back much closer to that date.  I said I would give it some thought and call back.  In the meanwhile I'm putting away the $450 but I would realllly like to get the fee down or get some more points.

I hope others who are closing in on the date the fee will hit will try this and please report back to this thread....

TomTX

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #61 on: August 12, 2017, 05:05:29 PM »

I tried this today--basically strongly hinted I would keep the card if there was a way I could get another 10k points.  But that otherwise I wanted to cancel.

No go. 

My fee kicks in on October 1st.  The Representative said to try calling back much closer to that date.  I said I would give it some thought and call back.  In the meanwhile I'm putting away the $450 but I would realllly like to get the fee down or get some more points.

I hope others who are closing in on the date the fee will hit will try this and please report back to this thread....

Yeah, don't bother calling Chase until the annual fee posts to your account. You should have 30 days to cancel/downgrade and not pay the fee.

4tify

• Bristles
« Reply #62 on: August 12, 2017, 08:39:43 PM »
I travel a lot for work, including overseas, and get reimbursed for many expenses. So for me it's a keeper--until the job ends!

EconDiva

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #63 on: August 14, 2017, 09:50:05 AM »

No go. 

Yeah, don't bother calling Chase until the annual fee posts to your account. You should have 30 days to cancel/downgrade and not pay the fee.

Ok.  I thought I was going to keep it but I'm on the fence about it now.  To be honest I just don't feel like paying the 450 fee O.O

I know it 'nets out' to be 150 but I have an international trip coming up right when the fee is due.  Anywho, I am not sure how to calculate numbers-wise if this card is a good deal for me.  Right now my travel is limited and predictable.  It's pretty much twice a year vacations- 1 12 day trip to Hawaii and 1 2 week trip to Europe annually since I'm not traveling for work anymore.  This could change next year as they are eyeing me for some Asia travel, but that might not happen at all. 

So right now I'm kinda actually undecided.

TomTX

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #64 on: August 14, 2017, 06:49:39 PM »

No go. 

Ok.  I thought I was going to keep it but I'm on the fence about it now.  To be honest I just don't feel like paying the 450 fee O.O

I know it 'nets out' to be 150 but I have an international trip coming up right when the fee is due.  Anywho, I am not sure how to calculate numbers-wise if this card is a good deal for me.  Right now my travel is limited and predictable.  It's pretty much twice a year vacations- 1 12 day trip to Hawaii and 1 2 week trip to Europe annually since I'm not traveling for work anymore.  This could change next year as they are eyeing me for some Asia travel, but that might not happen at all. 

So right now I'm kinda actually undecided.

Well, if you take your trip before the fee is due to be actually paid - you can take the trip, then downgrade to a free card. If you get sent to Asia regularly, you can (probably) upgrade back to the CSR.

In the meantime, you could apply for the CSP and get a fair amount of the benefits plus a 50k point ($500) signup bonus - and the annual fee is waived the first year.

My referral link is below  -  unfortunately for me, hasn't gotten traffic yet. ;)

NeonPegasus

• Bristles
    • Neon Pegasus
« Reply #65 on: September 09, 2017, 01:40:16 PM »
Leaving Portland. I used the Priority Pass when we arrived and when we left so we could eat at one of the "lounges" at the airport. We received a $28 credit per person for our 5 person family. We ran up a bill of at least $80 on our first visit and $130 on the final visit. We got food to eat for lunch and then food to go for dinner on our second flight. While we wouldn't have spent that much of it weren't free, it has easily saved us $120 ($40 for each meal). That just about covers the $150 annual fee right there and that's only one trip and one airport.

esq

• Bristles
« Reply #66 on: September 09, 2017, 08:27:48 PM »
Dropping. Not going to be traveling enough in the next year or two to justify.