Author Topic: Running Shoes  (Read 10534 times)

saijoe

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Running Shoes
« on: October 09, 2014, 01:06:11 PM »
After several months of running with my NB Running shoes, the cushions in the inserts are no longer providing much cushioning.  Otherwise the fairly expensive shoes are still in good shape and I don't want to buy a new pair.  What's the best type and best place to get quality cushion inserts for a good pair of running shoes?

Bobberth

• Bristles
Re: Running Shoes
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2014, 11:36:10 AM »
Try a local running specialty store.  They will be pros and know what to look for.  Buy your first pair there since you used their knowledge to help save your body.  Keep the packaging and search online for your next pair at a lower price. 

BooksAreNerdy

• Bristles
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2014, 01:50:45 PM »
EBay has last seasons styles half off. I buy ~6 pairs a year on ebay and never spend more than $70. Usually buy equalons, asics 2100.

AlanStache

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2014, 02:09:31 PM »
Try a local running specialty store.  They will be pros and know what to look for.  Buy your first pair there since you used their knowledge to help save your body.  Keep the packaging and search online for your next pair at a lower price.

+1

Maybe even get your second pair there as your form may change with some experience/fitness.  Big Five/Dicks/BassPro/etc are not specialty stores.

I have had very good luck with minimal shoes, dont go there unless you study up and learn what you are doing first. 

aclarridge

« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2014, 07:46:28 PM »

+1

Maybe even get your second pair there as your form may change with some experience/fitness.  Big Five/Dicks/BassPro/etc are not specialty stores.

I have had very good luck with minimal shoes, dont go there unless you study up and learn what you are doing first.

Also enjoy my minimalist shoes, but I had to change the way I run (more on my toes, barely impact the heels at all, shorter strides, more upright stance). They seem to be lasting a while. I also think some research though before you go for them is a good idea.

hyla

• Stubble
« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2014, 08:30:02 PM »
Don't know how many miles you run weekly, but keep in mind running shoes are only intended to last 300-500 miles.  Your shoes will eventually wear out.  And while I know this is a forum about living frugally and saving money, it's worth replacing running shoes when needed.  New shoes are cheaper than injuries.   

Agree with the poster who said buy the first pair of shoes/inserts whatever at a good local running store, so you can get good advice and support those who gave it, but looking online for deals on the same inserts when they wear out and you need new ones.

ArbitraryGuy

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2014, 05:20:23 AM »
New shoes are cheaper than injuries.   

This, this, a million times this!

Once you find a pair that works for you at a specialty running store, try to find deals for the same pair online.

DoubleDown

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2014, 09:16:22 AM »
Best Running Shoes: None (i.e., run barefoot)

Best Thing for Arch Support/Cushioning: Your Arches

frogstomp81

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2014, 07:21:29 PM »
I like Vibram Five-Fingers "Toe-shoes" haven't run in anything else since 2008. Close to barefoot as possible with some protection and no cushioning to wear out. I have worn right through the soles of 2 pairs in 6 years though. Might be a good way to transition to barefoot.

AlanStache

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #9 on: October 12, 2014, 08:35:46 PM »
Ran in Vibram five finger for a good bit then tried proper minimal shoes, night and day, would not go back.  Still go to the gym in five fingers but if I am going out to run it is in minimal shoes.  Just to much glass around me to think about truly bare foot - unless DoubleDown has a good solution to that.  I think i have been using the same pair of minimals for two years, just toss them in the washing machine every now and then.

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #10 on: October 14, 2014, 09:55:59 AM »
Don't know how many miles you run weekly, but keep in mind running shoes are only intended to last 300-500 miles.  Your shoes will eventually wear out.  And while I know this is a forum about living frugally and saving money, it's worth replacing running shoes when needed.  New shoes are cheaper than injuries.   

What injuries have you sustained from running with the same pair of shoes for more than 500 miles?

I typically use my running shoes until they have large holes in the bottom (and sides).  After about a year the hard rubber on the bottom starts wearing through, a year after that the softer cushioning starts grinding down, and a year after that there are usually holes in the sides/bottom so it's time to replace.  They start to smell pretty bad at this point.  No injuries from this though.

Thegoblinchief

« Reply #11 on: October 14, 2014, 01:53:01 PM »
New Balance, in my experience, are some of the least durable name brand shoes out there.

Not much of a runner, but trail running shoes are my favorite every day shoe for walking, hiking, biking, etc.

DoubleDown

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #12 on: October 14, 2014, 04:20:56 PM »
Just to much glass around me to think about truly bare foot - unless DoubleDown has a good solution to that. 

Holy crap, where do you live that you have broken glass everywhere?! Well, I've run across (literally) flat broken glass several times in bare feet, and it's no big deal. Once your feet are toughened up, they can handle just about anything soft leather moccasins can. That said, I don't intentionally run over broken glass, rusty nails, or anything else sharp or pointy. So, I don't know what to say other than seek out places without glass, keep wearing your Vibrams, or convince your town or community to clean up the glass that is littering everywhere! What about jogging trails, parks, or beaches?

Rube

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #13 on: October 15, 2014, 09:39:09 PM »

I don't know how they do it but the store I go to beats everything including online. Probably sheer quantity I guess. Every team seems to go there.

hyla

• Stubble
« Reply #14 on: October 16, 2014, 01:05:04 PM »

What injuries have you sustained from running with the same pair of shoes for more than 500 miles?

I typically use my running shoes until they have large holes in the bottom (and sides).  After about a year the hard rubber on the bottom starts wearing through, a year after that the softer cushioning starts grinding down, and a year after that there are usually holes in the sides/bottom so it's time to replace.  They start to smell pretty bad at this point.  No injuries from this though.

I've had three surgeries on my right knee, and as my shoes get older I notice more knee pain. 
I also had bad ankle tendonitis ten years ago that was caused partly by wearing shoes that were not right for my feet.

So, I don't mind spending money on new shoes.  I do use old running shoes for wading in rivers and chores after they are done in for running, but running in shoes as long as you describe would mess up my knees for sure.

AlanStache

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #15 on: October 16, 2014, 05:25:31 PM »
Just to much glass around me to think about truly bare foot - unless DoubleDown has a good solution to that. 

Holy crap, where do you live that you have broken glass everywhere?! Well, I've run across (literally) flat broken glass several times in bare feet, and it's no big deal. Once your feet are toughened up, they can handle just about anything soft leather moccasins can. That said, I don't intentionally run over broken glass, rusty nails, or anything else sharp or pointy. So, I don't know what to say other than seek out places without glass, keep wearing your Vibrams, or convince your town or community to clean up the glass that is littering everywhere! What about jogging trails, parks, or beaches?

There does not need to be broke glass everywhere, only in one spot I step :-)

We have lots of poorly maintained sidewalks where glass loves to hide in the cracks/gaps and few dedicated nicely maintained running paths.  Will do barefoot on the beach but that is not practical for daily running.  Guess I see the potential for a large down side with only a little upside to going fully barefoot from the Minimals.

EDSMedS

• Stubble
« Reply #16 on: October 18, 2014, 06:53:36 AM »

NeighborGuy

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #17 on: October 20, 2014, 10:44:46 AM »
I'm a big fan of Onitsuka Tigers. They're minimalist enough not to mess up my forefoot running gait, but still provide plenty of protection and support for trashy roads and long periods of standing. Plus they look cool. They're getting hard to find though, at least in my size and in colors that don't offend the eyes. If you have a Journey's near you, stop in and try them out (only physical retailer I know that carries them).

Edit: I just re-read the OP. If you heel strike when you run (which I'm guessing is why you think you need new insoles) then you have a whole other set of problems. I don't have any suggestions for chunky-soled shoes, but I highly suggest you invest the time to learn to run on your mid and forefeet. It takes a long time (months to years) to build the muscles necessary to run properly, but your body will thank you.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2014, 10:49:55 AM by NeighborGuy »

rocksinmyhead

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #18 on: October 20, 2014, 11:07:41 AM »

+1

+2

also when you do eventually need to replace the shoes, Joe's New Balance Outlet website has great deals on older models of NB.

So, I don't mind spending money on new shoes.  I do use old running shoes for wading in rivers and chores after they are done in for running, but running in shoes as long as you describe would mess up my knees for sure.

me too. I think different people are just different.

http://tnation.t-nation.com/free_online_forum/diet_blog_hammer_velocity_shugart/running_makes_you_fat

You don't need insoles to squat or deadlift...

well that was on-topic and helpful...

Aprés-ski

• 5 O'Clock Shadow

parsimonious

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #20 on: October 27, 2014, 11:55:19 PM »
Seconding the Tiger recommendation. (They are also great for when you decide running is silly and start weight lifting.)

More than shoes though - do you have a foam roller or a significant other who will give you a deep tissue massage? I run in my shoes until there are holes large enough to make my socks wet. Every time I have joint or leg pain it is because I have a huge knot in a muscle or tendon and need to work it out. Calf Smash is the best thing - if you are doing it right your neighbors should hear you screaming.

NeighborGuy

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #21 on: October 30, 2014, 11:46:00 AM »
Seconding the Tiger recommendation. (They are also great for when you decide running is silly and start weight lifting.)

More than shoes though - do you have a foam roller or a significant other who will give you a deep tissue massage? I run in my shoes until there are holes large enough to make my socks wet. Every time I have joint or leg pain it is because I have a huge knot in a muscle or tendon and need to work it out. Calf Smash is the best thing - if you are doing it right your neighbors should hear you screaming.

I don't know how people live without foam rollers...in constant pain, I suppose?

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #22 on: October 30, 2014, 12:34:15 PM »
Eh.  I know everyone and their brother raves about foam rollers, but they've never done anything for me that a short daily stretching regimen doesn't do.

NeighborGuy

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #23 on: October 30, 2014, 01:20:09 PM »
Eh.  I know everyone and their brother raves about foam rollers, but they've never done anything for me that a short daily stretching regimen doesn't do.
If your legs are already knotted up, stretching can actually make it worse. The key is to knead first, then stretch.