Author Topic: RSUs - three more years..  (Read 3671 times)

Redherring

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
RSUs - three more years..
« on: January 27, 2023, 11:08:07 PM »
We reached FI, currently at 5.5M. Current annual spend is 140k in crazy HCOL. We will move to LCOL in RE, but as we plan to travel extensively the 140k is also projected spend. Job pays exceptionally well (800k). I have RSUs of 1M + change that vest in 3 years.
Job is a bit of a roller coaster, going from being very cool and fun to crazy stress, politics and disappointment in relatively short cycles. MMM logic says screw it and run, now I find it very hard, say near impossible, to walk away. Would 8M in RE be nice ( post tax)? Yes. Needed? No. Is 1000 days worth 2.5M extra, now THAT is the question. I know this is OMY syndrome, squared.

Help me get a perspective on this!

Omy

• Handlebar Stache
Re: RSUs - three more years..
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2023, 05:03:50 AM »
Here's what everyone said to me when I posed a similar question in late 2018. I took their advice in August 2019 and haven't looked back:

https://forum.mrmoneymustache.com/post-fire/serious-'one-more-year'-syndrome-advice-appreciated/

TreeLeaf

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2023, 06:44:27 AM »
Holy shit.

What do you do for a living where 1000 days is an extra 2.5 million?

weebs

• Stubble
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2023, 06:45:52 AM »
I know this is OMY syndrome, squared.

Actually, it's OMY cubed.  ;-)  You have more than enough to support your current level of spending.  Mic drop and peace the hell out.

brooklynmoney

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2023, 06:54:19 AM »
How old are you? Is time worth more than money at this point that’s the question.

ATtiny85

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2023, 07:54:22 AM »
Won’t another 1000 day deal likely come up in 1000 days? Endless cycle.

Go, go now.

Omy

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2023, 08:03:52 AM »
This^. When the firehose of cash is drenching you, it never looks like a good time to leave. We OMYed at least 5 times and wasted a lot of time working. A friend's husband was recently killed in a car accident during his commute. They thought they had plenty of time, too.

Jon Bon

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2023, 08:10:44 AM »
This might be better as a bogleheads post....

5.5M is a bunch of money how much happier are you going to be with 8 million? but 3 years less of the prime of your life?

Ron Scott

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2023, 12:36:12 PM »
Working in a very engaging environment can indeed have it all…tremendous sense of accomplishment along with stress and frustrations. When you’re in the throw everything comes at you. If you’re not one to be bothered by stress or watching the clock it can be an interesting and exciting life.

I’m sure everyone knows money doesn’t guarantee “happiness”—that’s on you—but it can give you additional options in life. The younger you are the less you know how important these options will seem to you later in life. You seem to have an intuitive understanding of this.

TreeLeaf

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2023, 05:37:03 PM »
Thanks for the input so far. I am 50, C-suite position in small/mid size company. In great shape and health, knock wood. Spouse dropped work already, although if I continue she may go back meanwhile just for fun, as we cant really travel anyways!

A C-suite executive...Jesus.

Ask your spouse if she is ok with only spending $18,000 / month. If she says yes then quit working. If she says no then keep working.

This sort of decision really is up to you and your spouse, not some anonymous people on the internet.

I grew up in foster care in a trailer park...I had to google what a 'C-suite position' even means, lol, I certainly should not be giving you life advice.

Do whatever you feel like doing today. Keep doing that tomorrow. If you get bored, do something else.

You have won the game of finance. Go find some other game to play now and forget about money and careers.

TomTX

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #10 on: January 28, 2023, 06:04:48 PM »
This might be better as a bogleheads post....

5.5M is a bunch of money how much happier are you going to be with 8 million? but 3 years less of the prime of your life?
++ Unless you're addicted to pointless excess, OP won the game. Even with that luxurious spend plan, OP is under 3% SWR, which is basically "Portfolio won't fail, except for a black swan event where everyone is fucked anyway because there was global thermonuclear war"

Blackeagle

• Bristles
« Reply #11 on: January 28, 2023, 06:11:52 PM »
You have a 2.5% WR with $140K/yr of spending.  You are set.

Yes, $1M in RSUs is a lot of money.  For many people, it would be life changing.  For you, it’s a bit of extra padding.  You don’t need it.

The question you should be asking yourself is, “would I work three more years for free?”  Because that’s essentially what you would be doing.  This money is not going to make a material difference in your lifestyle or financial security. 

trollwithamustache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #12 on: January 28, 2023, 06:21:28 PM »
Is there something ridiculous you really want to buy? Lambo? apartment in london?  If so, that's why you'd keep working.  Otherwise sack up and quit. Or, if you can't sack up, figure out how to become a consultant and wean yourself out.

TomTX

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #13 on: January 28, 2023, 06:30:19 PM »
Is there something ridiculous you really want to buy? Lambo? apartment in london?  If so, that's why you'd keep working.  Otherwise sack up and quit. Or, if you can't sack up, figure out how to become a consultant and wean yourself out.
Lambo? UGH. They're not going to make an EV til (at least) 2028. A $54k Model 3 Performance should be plenty for any but the most dedicated track racing enthusiasts.

TreeLeaf

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #14 on: January 28, 2023, 06:33:55 PM »

If the lambo and apartment in London aren't ridiculous enough I have a special rock I can sell for the currently discounted price of $250,000 dollars. If you close your eyes and rub the rock it will extend your lifespan by 5% of the time you spend calmly rubbing the rock.

Let me know...It won't last long.

scottish

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #15 on: January 28, 2023, 07:56:35 PM »
You're 50 and in good health?   One of my cousins died of a heart attack at 52.   A university pal died last year at 58. 

Nobody ever said "I wish I spent more time at work" when they were getting close to the end of their life.    I never wish to spend more time at work, and I have a really good gig.

If you love your job keep doing it.   Otherwise, as Fawkes said, "Game over.  I win."

This is a timely thread.  It reminds me to pull the plug this year.

seattlecyclone

• Walrus Stache
    • My blog
« Reply #16 on: January 28, 2023, 08:27:27 PM »
You point out two options: stay three years for $2.5 million, or quit now and get nothing. Is there no middle ground? I assume from your compensation that you're not easily replaceable. Seems like there should be some room to negotiate your ideal exit. Something like telling your boss you'd like to retire in the next year. In consideration for staying on until your replacement is selected and up to speed you'd ask for X% of your stock to vest upon your exit. Maybe finagle a board seat afterward if that's something that would allow you to continue bringing value to the company? Or just quit tomorrow. You have plenty.

TreeLeaf

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #17 on: January 29, 2023, 06:14:31 AM »
Lambo?? LOL, no, we are a on-car family, 10+ years old but in great condition with 90k miles. Besides, I hate driving. We do have a home to buy, eventually, as we decided to rent in crazy HCOL. Now,  we have not decided how much house we want, for us it is all about great location/view, not size. 2000 sq ft max. But, that can also run high if you want sea view that is.

If you don't want a lambo then you should quit.

What are you actually planning on spending 5.5 million dollars on if you don't want a lambo?

Any ideas?

weebs

• Stubble
« Reply #18 on: January 29, 2023, 06:54:10 AM »

If you don't want a lambo then you should quit.

What are you actually planning on spending 5.5 million dollars on if you don't want a lambo?

Any ideas?

Screw the lambo.  As some who loves the San Juan Islands, this is what I'd do - buy a nice, but not extravagant place on one of the islands (I'm partial to Orcas).  Buy a boat.  On that boat would be a flag of my own design.  After a leisurely coffee forward breakfast, I would use my boat and flag to re-enact Ponce de Leon's "discovery" of Florida on any one of the small islets along the ferry routes for my entertainment and the entertainment of the ferry passengers.  Realistically, this would be entirely for my entertainment.  After "discovering" Florida, I would then conquer East Sound, Friday Harbor, etc.  By conquer, I mean buy more than a socially acceptable amount of dark chocolate, ice cream and/or lattes from one of the various vendors close to the water.  I would then sleep off the inevitable sugar crash on my boat until the harbor authorities told me to leave because I was making the tourists nervous.

To establish a baseline, I would do this every day of the week (no weekends) until my wife told me that she thinks I need a job. Baseline discovered, I would then back it off one day.

But, hey...if you want a lambo...definitely do that.  ;-)

GilesMM

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #19 on: January 29, 2023, 07:14:42 AM »
I would think very carefully before quitting, considering -

Three more years would add nearly 50% to your savings, so financially you may have won but you have a great opportunity available. Retiring at 53 is amazingly early. You should have three decades ahead of you, actuarily speaking.

$2.5 million sounds like a lot but after taxes it will not get you an above average home in a VHCOL area. We are cruising some open houses in Seattle this weekend and things look grim under $2 million.

If you are an executive, then you OWN the workplace for yourself and many employees. Fix it. Minimize the bad parts. Band together with the board and other execs and force out the evil CEO. Once you decide you are free to go, you have nothing to be afraid of. Be bold. Take chances.

You are right that travel is difficult at the moment with rampant illness. That makes it sound like the only thing you can imagine doing in retirement is travel. That may work but it may get old quick also. If you told me you were up to your ears in other pursuits and your job duties were really holding you back and ruining your life, I would say quit now. Otherwise, you need to think hard about what is going to get you out of bed each morning when you are no longer an executive. Work that plan and have launch ready when you transition. Most executives love work and keep going into their 60s or 70s, maybe changing companies and taking more risks for fun.

ender

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #20 on: January 29, 2023, 08:14:03 AM »
Why not just apply to FAANG tier companies and make even more than 2.5M?

There's always more you could/can chase.

scottish

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #21 on: January 29, 2023, 10:09:09 AM »
RSU valuations aren't a gimme, correct?   If your company falls on hard times before they vest, your compensation takes a nosedive...

seattlecyclone

• Walrus Stache
    • My blog
« Reply #22 on: January 29, 2023, 12:30:31 PM »
$2.5 million sounds like a lot but after taxes it will not get you an above average home in a VHCOL area. We are cruising some open houses in Seattle this weekend and things look grim under $2 million.

This is just factually incorrect. Per Zillow the median home value in Seattle is $913k. You can quibble over whether they tend to overestimate or underestimate the value of individual homes, but I guarantee their median isn't off by a factor of two. I think you need to recalibrate your internal notion of what an "average" home really looks like, because you're turning your nose up at ones that are more than twice the median value.

Looking at homes that sold for well under $2 million this month...
There's this beautifully renovated Capitol Hill home with four bedrooms and a large kitchen, sold for $1.56 million.
There's a 3,700 square foot West Seattle home with a view, wine cellar, and palatial master bathroom, sold for $1.575 million.
There's a five-bedroom Phinney Ridge home, recently renovated, sold for $1.43 million.
There's a 39th-floor condo in Belltown that sold for $1.575 million.

All of these seem just gorgeous to me. If you think such homes are "grim" I might suggest you examine the amount of hedonic adaptation you have allowed to infiltrate your life.

But anyway...every one of these homes are more expensive (and all but the condo are well larger) than the OP says they want to retire to, so what else are they going to do with all the money?

You point out two options: stay three years for $2.5 million, or quit now and get nothing. Is there no middle ground? I assume from your compensation that you're not easily replaceable. Seems like there should be some room to negotiate your ideal exit. Something like telling your boss you'd like to retire in the next year. In consideration for staying on until your replacement is selected and up to speed you'd ask for X% of your stock to vest upon your exit. Maybe finagle a board seat afterward if that's something that would allow you to continue bringing value to the company? Or just quit tomorrow. You have plenty.

This is a high stakes game. That may work, or may not. Issue is once you have shown colors and want out, this can go in any direction, especially as a lot of money is at stake. Imo, best strategy is to make yourself redundant, which triggers severance. Big events like acquistions, restructures or major strategic redirections are great opportunities to force yourself out as a CXO. If I see that path, I will take it, however, that will not trigger full RSU payout. More likely 50%. But that’s life.

Sure, nothing is without risk. However you still haven't said what you would actually do with the extra money. You want a <$1 million house, leaving >$4.5 million for all the other non-housing stuff in your life. That's roughly $500/day at a 4% SWR. You want to do some travel, and it's easy to spend $500/day on that if you're really determined to take monthly first-class plane trips around the ocean to stay in five-star hotels while you're there, but it's also really easy not to spend that much. So I think step 1 is to identify what material difference that extra $2.5 million would make in your actual retirement lifestyle. If the answer is "not much" because you already have enough to do the things you want to do, you go into that high-stakes transition negotiation from a position of strength. Your alternative to a negotiated agreement (immediate retirement) still looks pretty good, so all you have to lose is a pile of money you probably never will need.

Also look forward three years: your stock vests and your board offers you another set of RSUs to retain you for another few years. Do you take it or do you leave at that time? You're finding it hard to walk away from $2.5 million over the next three years because that is admittedly an insane amount of money, but do a good job and you could easily get a similar deal in the future. At what point do you say enough is enough?

lutorm

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #23 on: January 29, 2023, 02:55:41 PM »
I was going to say this. It's called "golden handcuffs" for a reason. Only you and your family can decide what is best, but don't kid yourself into the fact that after time X it will magically seem like a good time to leave. Decide first what you think is "enough" and then when you hit it, leave. But be prepared for the fact that at time X, you will likely be looking at an even larger firehose.

bryan995

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #24 on: January 29, 2023, 04:27:11 PM »
Try again on bogleheads or reddit/fatfire.

The answer will be likely yes, it is worth it.  You time an optimal exit around weighing current+future income/comp/market conditions, not around hitting some magical minimum FIRE number :). The higher the income the easier it is to outweigh other reasons for stopping early - it becomes more inefficient IMO. Should also consider where you sit on your potential earning curve. In the exponential phase still? Already peaked ?

I vote #OMY
« Last Edit: January 29, 2023, 10:08:14 PM by bryan995 »

Must_ache

• Bristles
« Reply #25 on: January 29, 2023, 08:18:24 PM »
Is it possible to be demoted to some part-time responsibility in the company that would allow you to stay on and realize those RSU's?

I'm hoping to go part-time at age 55 for a couple of years and vest some of my RSU's, and I might only have $25K hanging in the balance at that point in time.  I would hate to see it go to waste, but I'm pretty sure I could let it go.

You've already have the $ you need to finance $140K at a 2.55% withdrawal rate.  Go ahead and spend $200K on a lambo now, then your withdrawal rate might be closer to 2.64%.  At this point the extra money really shouldn't have any bearing on your retirement, all you are doing is planning to work longer so that someone else can inherit your money.

moneytaichi

• Stubble
« Reply #26 on: January 29, 2023, 10:07:48 PM »
I was going to say this. It's called "golden handcuffs" for a reason. Only you and your family can decide what is best, but don't kid yourself into the fact that after time X it will magically seem like a good time to leave. Decide first what you think is "enough" and then when you hit it, leave. But be prepared for the fact that at time X, you will likely be looking at an even larger firehose.
+1. Work is built in such a way that they will always hand out "golden handcuffs" in different forms. It doesn't seem that you have a compelling reason outside of work for you to leave so you need to decide what you retire to. Nobody has the crystal ball to see clearly when we exit the train. For people who have to work and support their families, they are at peace when they have to exit the train because they are doing their best. In your case, what do you want to give your best for if you exit the train in 5 to 50 years?

The problem you are facing is real for many people who are on the edge of RE. Me included. My work doesn't pay nearly close to your pay, but same struggle here. My current job is turning south from a super-fun and engaging job to a high stress job, largely because of my boss. I am preparing to leave soon, most likely in a month or two. One of my colleagues dies unexpectedly last week. It's sobering when you face death so suddenly.

Good luck with your decision. It's not about money. It's about your life.

Ron Scott

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #27 on: January 30, 2023, 06:08:24 AM »
It's not about money. It's about your life.

So true…

OP, if your work is simply a tolerable means to an end there are 2 questions to ask yourself at your stage in life:

1. Do I have enough money to fund the lifestyle I want for my wife and I, help my family as necessary, and fund possible needs in old age?
2. Do I have some money in reserve to fund a bit more if my interests change in 10 or 20 years?

But for many people, work is a natural and healthy part of their lives. As an executive you have been recognized as capable and rewarded with responsibility.  You have an opportunity available to few others: access to significant financial and business assets to create something new and valuable. Your ability to make meaningful accomplishments is being tested. Your work life is more intense and impactful now. This experience is unlikely to be replicated in retirement.

The quote I grabbed above is important. The decision you make now is about much more than money. It’s about your life and what you make of it.

Omy

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #28 on: January 30, 2023, 07:16:23 AM »
Thanks for all the advice and perspectives. It does help, really. Like, I cannot answer what I will spend the 2.5M on. No clue, probably a mix of being 100pct sure to have enough and giving an estate for my child. No fancy car, that I know.
3 years is a long time for something you dont need. But, I also dont need my side gig of consulting at 750-1000 per hour, but do that for pure fun! In fact, I only put the price that high to not get too many jobs, as it then interferes with my day job. 1000 pr hour for something I really enjoy is a good deal. I will think through the equation for my day job.

If you quit and ramp up your super fun side gig, you could gross $6M in 3 years! Dude, you are leaving money on the table!

TreeLeaf

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #29 on: January 30, 2023, 08:38:27 AM »
Thanks for all the advice and perspectives. It does help, really. Like, I cannot answer what I will spend the 2.5M on. No clue, probably a mix of being 100pct sure to have enough and giving an estate for my child. No fancy car, that I know.
3 years is a long time for something you dont need. But, I also dont need my side gig of consulting at 750-1000 per hour, but do that for pure fun! In fact, I only put the price that high to not get too many jobs, as it then interferes with my day job. 1000 pr hour for something I really enjoy is a good deal. I will think through the equation for my day job.

If you quit and ramp up your super fun side gig, you could gross $6M in 3 years! Dude, you are leaving money on the table!

OMG - you're right!

@Redhotdog could be making 2 million a year or more from the side hustle - a sum greater than what most people make working their entire lives!

How feasible would it be to ramp up the side hustle to make even more money?

Why would anyone ever retire if they can make this much money doing a fun side hustle?

Jon Bon

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #30 on: January 30, 2023, 01:45:40 PM »

What the hell dude?

Your complaining about working too much, but you have a second job that pays stupid money as well?

I mean I get "having a purpose" Its hard to just quit a kick ass job that you worked really hard for a pays you a bunch of money. You are giving up status and basically walking away in your prime. The ego is a powerful thing, society tells us we are what we earn. However, there is a middle ground here. Do your side gig, keep some money coming in and that pads your nest egg nicely.

Or keep both jobs and give yourself a fatal heart attack in 3 years, but at least your family will be rich!!

« Last Edit: January 30, 2023, 01:49:02 PM by Jon Bon »

ender

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #31 on: January 30, 2023, 03:30:23 PM »

What the hell dude?

Your complaining about working too much, but you have a second job that pays stupid money as well?

I mean I get "having a purpose" Its hard to just quit a kick ass job that you worked really hard for a pays you a bunch of money. You are giving up status and basically walking away in your prime. The ego is a powerful thing, society tells us we are what we earn. However, there is a middle ground here. Do your side gig, keep some money coming in and that pads your nest egg nicely.

Or keep both jobs and give yourself a fatal heart attack in 3 years, but at least your family will be rich!!

At what point did they complain about working too much?

EliteZags

• Bristles
« Reply #32 on: January 30, 2023, 03:36:28 PM »
so you could walk away now and just continue consulting ~5hrs per wk which would essentially cover all of your living expenses and can leave your $5M+ to continue compounding indefinitely?

I would def not subject myself to 5 days/wk in an office at that point

moneytaichi

• Stubble
« Reply #33 on: January 30, 2023, 07:32:12 PM »
It's not about money. It's about your life.

So true…

OP, if your work is simply a tolerable means to an end there are 2 questions to ask yourself at your stage in life:

1. Do I have enough money to fund the lifestyle I want for my wife and I, help my family as necessary, and fund possible needs in old age?
2. Do I have some money in reserve to fund a bit more if my interests change in 10 or 20 years?

But for many people, work is a natural and healthy part of their lives. As an executive you have been recognized as capable and rewarded with responsibility. You have an opportunity available to few others: access to significant financial and business assets to create something new and valuable. Your ability to make meaningful accomplishments is being tested. Your work life is more intense and impactful now. This experience is unlikely to be replicated in retirement.

The quote I grabbed above is important. The decision you make now is about much more than money. It’s about your life and what you make of it.
The above lines give me goosebumps. I am reading John Bogle's "Enough: True Measures of Money, Business, and Life". As other people said, you have to decide what is enough on your financial wealth, in the bigger picture of tradeoffs/synergy of physical/mental health, relationships, spirituality etc.

Money and high positions can bring positive changes to your immediate environments, workforce, communities and earth. If your children, grandchildren or family members work in your current workplace, what would they wish for? What would you wish to create for them? Modern workforce brutality to our humanness and the environment has created so much damages and fueled FIRE movement. Can you be a positive force, even a little bit, with your privileges? Can you let the first-line managers gain more work-life balance, as you had first-hand experience? Can you empower women or under-privileged employees? Can you stand up for bully or non-sense? Can you incorporate your values into your work behaviors?

You are the only one who can decide what moves you to the deepest core. Please don't let the evaluation just about money - it's not a judgement on you because I don't know anything about you. It's my own realization as a person who has faced many important junction points of life choices. You are the only one who lives with your decision (or no-decision) consequences. Good luck!

Finances_With_Purpose

• Stubble
« Reply #34 on: February 01, 2023, 04:45:39 AM »
I have friends in these types of positions and am moving this direction myself: what would you do if money were no issue at all? 

Do that. 

Do consulting.  Take on some part-time stuff.  Join some boards that you can't right now.  Opportunities are likely to jump at you once you announce your departure.  Or even before, if you can hint around in the right places. 

If you can make $140k/yr, or anywhere close, you can cover your expenses + travel and be set while your money compounds.  It won't take that many years of compounding with low/zero withdrawals to make the $2.5M anyway.  I.e., you can get the $2.5M without just continuing on in a job that you sound ready to leave. 

So this isn't about money at all, really: it's about what you want to do with your time and your life.  You may well want to do some work, but there's no reason at all why you need to be doing that particular job.  Pick whatever you like and go for it: part-time, full-time, or whatever combo that you want to put together.

That's what financial freedom allows you. 

DrinkCoffeeStackMoney

• Stubble
« Reply #35 on: February 03, 2023, 02:14:57 PM »
If I had a $5.5MM net worth I personally wouldn't work three extra years for another ten million. The $5.5MM would cover anything I ever wanted until my days ran out and life is short.
But that's just me.

PDXTabs

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #36 on: February 03, 2023, 02:28:04 PM »
We reached FI, currently at 5.5M. Current annual spend is 140k in crazy HCOL. We will move to LCOL in RE, but as we plan to travel extensively the 140k is also projected spend. Job pays exceptionally well (800k). I have RSUs of 1M + change that vest in 3 years.
Job is a bit of a roller coaster, going from being very cool and fun to crazy stress, politics and disappointment in relatively short cycles. MMM logic says screw it and run, now I find it very hard, say near impossible, to walk away. Would 8M in RE be nice ( post tax)? Yes. Needed? No. Is 1000 days worth 2.5M extra, now THAT is the question. I know this is OMY syndrome, squared.

Help me get a perspective on this!

I can't help. Or rather, I would not stay at a job that I did not like for money that I didn't need. But if I liked the job we're talking about a real amount of wealth to have when you pass away. Like getting part of a college named after you wealth. Is that worth it to you? I can't make that call.

EDITed to add that the Maseeh College of Engineering and Computer Science at PSU was named after Fariborz Maseeh when he donated $8M in 2004.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2023, 02:34:38 PM by PDXTabs »

LoanShark

• Stubble
« Reply #37 on: February 13, 2023, 05:39:44 PM »
Reposting a quote I read on here awhile back that resonated with me enough that I saved it on my phone.

“Once you have “enough” it shouldn’t matter whether your job pays $1MM/year or $10/hour.  You are then trading your time (which you have ever less of) for money (which you have ever less need for).  Of course many people find additional value through their jobs, which may being a “productive member of society” or “making a difference”.  If your job fits that description and you enjoy doing it, all the more power to you to keep working.  But for many, many others, they have conflated their identity of self with their job title.  When that happens they equate quitting the job with quitting who they are, which is just sad and erroneous.

OMY syndrome seems to high high earners harder than lower wage people, precisely because another year could bring in a substantial amount of additional money, which can always be spent on something (a third vacation home? A yacht?).  But ultimately they have less time and more money” - Nereo

BussoV6

• Bristles
« Reply #38 on: February 14, 2023, 02:48:36 AM »
Life is finite, walk away from that job. In fact, run away...

Turtle

• CM*MW 2023 Attendees
  • Pencil Stache
« Reply #39 on: February 14, 2023, 08:45:27 AM »
The one thing that came to mind when reading the original post is that can potentially be a life-changing amount of money.

If the original poster or someone in the family/immediate circle has an interest in starting a not-for-profit, this would potentially be good seed money for that.  It could even be something as simple as holding additional wild land for planting trees/protecting rare plants/etc.

Specific goals for the money might make it worth it.  Just having more after already having way more than enough, maybe not so much.

ducky19

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #40 on: February 14, 2023, 09:06:44 AM »
Life is finite, walk away from that job. In fact, run away...
+1

At 5.5 mil, if it was sitting in cash you'd have over 39 years at $140k/year spend. There's always a chance you'll run out of money, you'll definitely run out of time.