Author Topic: Root of Good and Go Curry were featured in Yahoo article  (Read 5390 times)

SuperSaver

• Stubble
Root of Good and Go Curry were featured in Yahoo article
« on: March 31, 2016, 09:21:42 AM »
http://finance.yahoo.com/news/retired-33-110000082.html

I was excited to run across this article at work this morning. I searched and didn't notice it mentioned on the forums. I figured I'd post so other mustachians could read the article (and the comments).

fattest_foot

• Pencil Stache
Re: Root of Good and Go Curry were featured in Yahoo article
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2016, 12:12:10 PM »
I don't know why I subject myself to reading the comments on these types of articles. They're always the same, "Yeah but's..."

"They're not really retired."
"They made way more than I do."
"I couldn't possibly do that."
"Student loans."
"I have kids."

Cassie

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2016, 12:52:17 PM »
Great article!  Many of the comments came from the Retirement Police:))

opnfld

• Stubble
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2016, 01:03:10 PM »
I nearlyforgot to read the comments.  Always the best part.

MoneyRx

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2016, 01:09:23 PM »
The comments...yikes

Miskatonic

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2016, 01:18:06 PM »
One of the comments said that this sort of article just depresses normal people.

1. I find this sort of article motivating.
2. What are "normal people"?

NESailor

• Bristles
« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2016, 01:20:42 PM »
Saw it too.  Love the comments about inflation...Like 1.4 million is not going to be enough in 30 years...well, there's a good chance that 1.4 million today is not going to be 1.4 million in 30 years :D.  My 2nd favorite is...what about saving for college?  Hello...this guy saved MILLIONS already...I'm guessing a few tens of thousands (or even a 100K) in another decade is not going to be too much of a challenge, haha.  If only the naysayers turned all that negative energy towards some simple financial planning.  If only...
« Last Edit: March 31, 2016, 01:32:14 PM by MattyJ »

Gin1984

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2016, 01:33:31 PM »
I'm horrified on the amount of people who commented with no knowledge of how health insurance works.

YK-Phil

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2016, 01:37:17 PM »
Good for them, they are a real inspiration to all of us who aspire to reach FIRE. I am really happy for them but must admit these articles make me a bit sad when I realize how clownish I was most of my working life, earning 6-figure salaries from my late 20s through late 40s, but spending as if there were no tomorrow. It took me a real hit -losing my job at 49 at the top of my career, to realize how stupid I had been all these years. I'll never know what FIRE in my 30s or 40s would feel like, but thanks to finding MMM a few years ago, I might be able to FIRE this year at 58, not as early as I would have liked or could have done with a bit more brains, but still earlier than most. While my numbers are tight due to a number of investment mistakes, FIRE very feasible thanks to our frugal lifestyle and low financial needs.

runningthroughFIRE

• CM*MW 2023 Attendees
  • Bristles
  • As heavy as it needs to be to make you stronger
« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2016, 03:03:26 PM »
Saw it too.  Love the comments about inflation...Like 1.4 million is not going to be enough in 30 years...well, there's a good chance that 1.4 million today is not going to be 1.4 million in 30 years :D.  My 2nd favorite is...what about saving for college?  Hello...this guy saved MILLIONS already...I'm guessing a few tens of thousands (or even a 100K) in another decade is not going to be too much of a challenge, haha.  If only the naysayers turned all that negative energy towards some simple financial planning.  If only...
What surprises me is how many people complained about inflation, but don't seem to take any investment growth into account.  The inflation arguements make sense if they were to pull the $1.4 million out of the market and use it to stuff a king sized matress, but why the hell would anyone do that?  How can people understand how inflation compounds, but not how dividends or stock appreciation does the same?

NESailor

• Bristles
« Reply #10 on: March 31, 2016, 03:08:53 PM »
What surprises me is how many people complained about inflation, but don't seem to take any investment growth into account.  The inflation arguements make sense if they were to pull the $1.4 million out of the market and use it to stuff a king sized matress, but why the hell would anyone do that?  How can people understand how inflation compounds, but not how dividends or stock appreciation does the same?

Basically my point.  Even if the companies whose stock those portfolios are invested in didn't actually create any value for 20-30-40 years (not likely), the nominal value of the stock should theoretically increase with inflation as it would take more nominal dollars to buy the same slice of said company, right?

2lazy2retire

• Bristles
« Reply #11 on: March 31, 2016, 03:21:40 PM »
I'm horrified on the amount of people who commented with no knowledge of how health insurance works.

And likely the same people who complained loudest about Obamacare, hope the never find out that if you have low income their tax dollars are going towards funding our early retirements, yahoo comments would be a bloodbath - sometimes its best to leave them in blissful ignornance

runningthroughFIRE

• CM*MW 2023 Attendees
  • Bristles
  • As heavy as it needs to be to make you stronger
« Reply #12 on: March 31, 2016, 03:41:44 PM »

Basically my point.  Even if the companies whose stock those portfolios are invested in didn't actually create any value for 20-30-40 years (not likely), the nominal value of the stock should theoretically increase with inflation as it would take more nominal dollars to buy the same slice of said company, right?
Yep.  Companies would have to never innovate, create new products, or develop new technologies, but their real profits would still remain the same.

Eric

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #13 on: March 31, 2016, 04:17:10 PM »

Bank acconts only pay .1%.  What kind of investment is that?  I'm not handing my money to those crooks on Wall St for them to lose it all. I know 356,539 people who lost EVERYTHING in 2009.  INFLATION!!!!!!!!!!!111111111111111
« Last Edit: March 31, 2016, 04:28:19 PM by Eric »

MisterTwoForty

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #14 on: March 31, 2016, 07:18:58 PM »
Good to see both get some air time.  The comments always crack me up.

Of course ER cannot be done for the 'average' person - thats the whole premise!  You must think and act differently.

SugarMountain

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #15 on: April 04, 2016, 02:06:44 PM »
http://finance.yahoo.com/news/retired-33-110000082.html

I was excited to run across this article at work this morning. I searched and didn't notice it mentioned on the forums. I figured I'd post so other mustachians could read the article (and the comments).

I noticed that it also didn't mention walking away from student loans.

shanghaiMMM

• Stubble
« Reply #16 on: April 04, 2016, 10:14:18 PM »
Good to see both get some air time.  The comments always crack me up.

Of course ER cannot be done for the 'average' person - thats the whole premise!  You must think and act differently.

I love this part of it. I feel like I'm a lot more aware as a person and critique things rather than accepting them at face value. Both good things I think, regardless of other financial benefits that they bring.