Author Topic: Right, that's it. I'm quitting my job.  (Read 17035 times)

AnnaGrowsAMustache

• Handlebar Stache
Re: Right, that's it. I'm quitting my job.
« Reply #50 on: October 19, 2017, 11:24:50 PM »
I learned yesterday that all of my coworkers except one are on Prozac and other antidepressants/anxioloytics. Some were on meds prior to working here, but several started meds specifically due to the difficult client interactions at this particular clinic. My husband is supporting the idea of me also going on meds to help at work, but I just don't want to stay in a job that requires meds to tolerate. So I'll keep up the job hunt.

imo no job is worth one's sanity and/or health. I hope you find a new one that is more enjoyable.

+1. Make the jump and make it soon. Stress is a killer, and if it doesn't kill you it makes you weaker - less able to handle even good stress and good changes. It can take years to recover from a truly negative job. As far as the animals are concerned, the clinic will still be there and still operate. YOU can only do what YOU can do, and I think you've reached that limit. Shame on your husband for being ok with medication and not ok with quitting!

TartanTallulah

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #51 on: October 20, 2017, 02:50:43 AM »
I learned yesterday that all of my coworkers except one are on Prozac and other antidepressants/anxioloytics. Some were on meds prior to working here, but several started meds specifically due to the difficult client interactions at this particular clinic. My husband is supporting the idea of me also going on meds to help at work, but I just don't want to stay in a job that requires meds to tolerate. So I'll keep up the job hunt.

That's horrific when you step back and think about it. And I can totally believe it.

My job broke me once, and I said afterwards that if it looked like breaking me again my strategies to avoid another period of sick leave would include taking Prozac, because although I've never taken an antidepressant I'm not opposed to doing so if the need arises. This could yet happen to ensure I'm able to continue to work until my earliest FIRE date, which isn't all that far away.

On the other hand, having never taken an antidepressant I have no way of knowing if it will make me sick or make me give so few fucks that I'm a liability in my workplace, so I'd rather not.

HawkeyeNFO

• Bristles
  • Retired at 44.....back to work at 45
« Reply #52 on: October 20, 2017, 07:45:32 AM »
My husband is supporting the idea of me also going on meds to help at work

Well this is really fucked up.  Are you the breadwinner?  Are you supporting your husband's gambling addiction?  Forget your job, quit it.  There are lots of other jobs out there that don't require you to take drugs.

GreenSheep

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #53 on: October 20, 2017, 08:54:49 AM »
I would go flip burgers or clean toilets before I'd start taking drugs to try to stay at a stressful job. Antidepressants are not nearly as effective as most people think (although they do seem to help some people, and if you, reading this, are one of them, I'm glad they're helping you), and they can have horrific side effects... including suicide. No thank you. For some people with some types of depression, exercise can be as effective as or more effective than taking drugs. But of course, when being overworked by a stressful job, it's hard to find time for exercise, so it can be a vicious cycle.

http://freakonomics.com/podcast/bad-medicine-part-2-drug-trials-tribulations-rebroadcast/

startingsmall

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #54 on: October 20, 2017, 10:28:17 AM »

Well this is really fucked up.  Are you the breadwinner?  Are you supporting your husband's gambling addiction?  Forget your job, quit it.  There are lots of other jobs out there that don't require you to take drugs.

I am the breadwinner. Husband is in full-time ministry, so relatively low pay and no health insurance through his job.

AnnaGrowsAMustache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #55 on: October 20, 2017, 07:35:09 PM »

I am the breadwinner. Husband is in full-time ministry, so relatively low pay and no health insurance through his job.

Well, you two need to sit down and talk, because this is an unworkable situation. You need to get out of that job or he won't have a wife. Maybe you need to work out how much you actually need to survive, just survival, and then work to that first of all. You might be OK just quitting. Then regroup, and go and get a better job.

GoConfidently

• Stubble
« Reply #56 on: October 20, 2017, 09:54:14 PM »

Isn’t there a scripture about how someone who doesn’t care for his family is worse than someone without faith? (Sorry but I’ve forgotten most of the indoctrination so my memory may be fuzzy on the words.) Point is, y’all need to figure this out. No job is worth your mental health, and you two need to find a way to get you out of there ASAP, even if it means that he gets a second job or takes on a higher paying line of work.

sequoia

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #57 on: October 21, 2017, 12:11:27 AM »

+1. That.is.messed.up.

You need to get a new husband and new job. Not necessarily in this order.

startingsmall

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #58 on: October 21, 2017, 06:53:22 AM »
I don't think it's coming across correctly in writing :(

Husband went to seminary, with my support & encouragement, about 6 years ago. We knew the ministry wouldn't pay well, but made a joint decision for him to do it because my vet income could support us. He literally can't get a second job - his job requires 24/7 on-call availability. His current job will look very good on his resume and likely help his career over the long term, so staying is best for now.

There is another nearby vet clinic hiring, but the truth is that I've been unhappy in every vet job I've had. It's not the job, it's the career. Yes, my current job has below-average clients... but I actually have above-average co-workers and bosses. Husband says I should apply, but I don't think it's worth having another job change on my resume.

He supports the idea of me leaving my job, as long as it's for another FT job with benefits. (This is a blue-collar community and he grew up in a blue-collar family. A stable job with benefits is the holy grail. Given the uncertainty surrounding the ACA, I find it hard to argue against that with much enthusiasm.) There just aren't any in this area that appeal to me right now, because we live in a rural area with few opportunities. I'm tempted to quit and try to rely just on my freelance, but the insurance thing is the issue.

The plan is to move to a better area in a few years. At that point, I really would like to change to a career in teaching. (The schools  in our area, both public and private, are not very good.) I think I want to try to hang in there with the vet thing until then. If I can. I haven't had any panic attacks since the one I posted about upthread, so maybe I'll make it?

Anyway, just wanted to try to paint a more accurate picture because, in my frustration, I don't think I really did that.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2017, 07:42:24 AM by startingsmall »

SomedayStache

• Pencil Stache
  • Live Long and Prosper
« Reply #59 on: October 21, 2017, 07:31:56 AM »

+1. That.is.messed.up.

This is a dramatic statement which also has undertones of sexism.
Would you tell a breadwinner man stuck in a stressful job he needs a new wife? 

People make life plans and things don't work as expected.  I'm also a breadwinner wife stuck in a stressful job that had me crying for two hours yesterday. My husband hates this and wants to help, but the choices we've made together over the last decade have made me the one with income potential not him. 

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #60 on: October 21, 2017, 07:34:47 AM »

+1. That.is.messed.up.

Sequoia, I agree that is messed up, but please don't tell SS what she "needs" to do. She shared her situation as a way of commiseration with the OP, not to get punched. Please see Forum Rule #1.

startingsmall

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #61 on: October 21, 2017, 07:40:21 AM »

+1. That.is.messed.up.

People make life plans and things don't work as expected.  I'm also a breadwinner wife stuck in a stressful job that had me crying for two hours yesterday. My husband hates this and wants to help, but the choices we've made together over the last decade have made me the one with income potential not him.

Thank you for posting this. Seriously. And like you, my situation is due to choices that we made together. Because I'm human and imperfect, there are days that I feel overwhelmed and blame/resent him... but these are choices that we made, and continue to make, together.

I needed that post today. Thank you again!

sequoia

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #62 on: October 21, 2017, 11:31:54 AM »

+1. That.is.messed.up.

Yes. If my wife tells me to take drugs so I can keep working in my stressful job, I get a new wife. Got nothing to do with sexism, or who is the breadwinner (man or woman). What kind of advice tell one to take drugs to keep a job? A job is a job, not worth sacrificing one's health or sanity, but maybe I am wrong.

Am I the only person that thinks this is messed up? If thats the case, my sincere apology then.

AnnaGrowsAMustache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #63 on: October 21, 2017, 03:38:01 PM »

Husband went to seminary, with my support & encouragement, about 6 years ago. We knew the ministry wouldn't pay well, but made a joint decision for him to do it because my vet income could support us. He literally can't get a second job - his job requires 24/7 on-call availability. His current job will look very good on his resume and likely help his career over the long term, so staying is best for now.

There is another nearby vet clinic hiring, but the truth is that I've been unhappy in every vet job I've had. It's not the job, it's the career. Yes, my current job has below-average clients... but I actually have above-average co-workers and bosses. Husband says I should apply, but I don't think it's worth having another job change on my resume.

He supports the idea of me leaving my job, as long as it's for another FT job with benefits. (This is a blue-collar community and he grew up in a blue-collar family. A stable job with benefits is the holy grail. Given the uncertainty surrounding the ACA, I find it hard to argue against that with much enthusiasm.) There just aren't any in this area that appeal to me right now, because we live in a rural area with few opportunities. I'm tempted to quit and try to rely just on my freelance, but the insurance thing is the issue.

The plan is to move to a better area in a few years. At that point, I really would like to change to a career in teaching. (The schools  in our area, both public and private, are not very good.) I think I want to try to hang in there with the vet thing until then. If I can. I haven't had any panic attacks since the one I posted about upthread, so maybe I'll make it?

Anyway, just wanted to try to paint a more accurate picture because, in my frustration, I don't think I really did that.

You're right, there's always more to the story. Could you maybe go part time on the vet thing and get a different part time job? That might mitigate some of the stress but still keep a decent income. Would you be happy just getting any other job and volunteering at an animal shelter?

startingsmall

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #64 on: October 21, 2017, 04:46:47 PM »

You're right, there's always more to the story. Could you maybe go part time on the vet thing and get a different part time job? That might mitigate some of the stress but still keep a decent income. Would you be happy just getting any other job and volunteering at an animal shelter?

Honestly, I wouldn't even need to volunteer at a shelter... I'm burned out on animals enough that I don't really want to work with them in any capacity anymore. Working PT vet and PT something else would be ideal, but then we're back to the pesky insurance issue. Maybe I just need to get over that, but the uncertainty about the ACA has me pretty anxious. As for other FT jobs that would provide benefits, there aren't very many in my area that I would be remotely qualified for.

The one thing that I keep going back to is teaching, though. I have teaching experience and I love it. I've taught test-prep classes, done college adjunct teaching, and have been doing some tutoring on the side for the last couple of years. The colleges in my area aren't hiring and I have reservations about teaching in the local public schools, but maybe I need to work through that.

TomTX

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #65 on: October 21, 2017, 06:17:29 PM »
Right, so I've gone against all advice and anything rational! I've given notice now. I have no job to go to right this second. I have done this in the past and managed to come up with a good job in short order. In the meantime, I feel like a HUGE weight is off my shoulders and I feel good about the decision. I was in desperate need of an end date.

So... management have been good and we've set up an exit plan. They've assured me writing that should I get a job earlier than planned that I will not have to work out my full notice. My immediate colleague burst into tears when i told her I was leaving.

The comments about doing as little as possible and staying have been eye opening. No matter the industry, I don't think I could work that way. And in this industry, patients would suffer. You deal with whatever walks in the door. There's no task list. There's no 'can't I'm at lunch'. There's no 'get back to me about it later'. There's no clocking off at 5:01pm. It's not that unusual to come to work, work flat out until past your shift end and never have a food break.

Anyhoo, I'm not going to work like this for much longer. The end is in sight!

So, the situation you describe is a bad work environment caused by management understaffing and the staff killing themselves to take care of the patients.

Not reasonable. And it's on management, not on you. You should be able to take reasonable breaks, get food, have a pee break, etc.  Might they be irregularly timed due to varying patient demand? Sure. But if you regularly miss eating for an entire shift, that's a management fuckup.

startingsmall

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #66 on: October 21, 2017, 07:24:59 PM »

In other news, I JUST found an advertised opening for an industry position (not practice), that would involve mostly teaching (hooray), and that is for a company that I have mad respect for (important). AND I live right in the center of the territory for which they are hiring.

I applied.

All fingers and toes crossed.

So sorry for the threadjack, but thank you so much for your awesomeness, inspiration, and support!!
« Last Edit: October 21, 2017, 07:28:49 PM by startingsmall »

Physicsteacher

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #67 on: October 21, 2017, 07:28:51 PM »

In other news, I JUST found a full-time veterinarian position in industry (not practice), that would involve mostly teaching (hooray), and that is for a company that I have mad respect for (important). AND I live right in the center of the territory for which they are hiring.

I applied.

Fingers crossed for you!

AnnaGrowsAMustache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #68 on: October 22, 2017, 01:33:19 AM »
Right, so I've gone against all advice and anything rational! I've given notice now. I have no job to go to right this second. I have done this in the past and managed to come up with a good job in short order. In the meantime, I feel like a HUGE weight is off my shoulders and I feel good about the decision. I was in desperate need of an end date.

So... management have been good and we've set up an exit plan. They've assured me writing that should I get a job earlier than planned that I will not have to work out my full notice. My immediate colleague burst into tears when i told her I was leaving.

The comments about doing as little as possible and staying have been eye opening. No matter the industry, I don't think I could work that way. And in this industry, patients would suffer. You deal with whatever walks in the door. There's no task list. There's no 'can't I'm at lunch'. There's no 'get back to me about it later'. There's no clocking off at 5:01pm. It's not that unusual to come to work, work flat out until past your shift end and never have a food break.

Anyhoo, I'm not going to work like this for much longer. The end is in sight!

So, the situation you describe is a bad work environment caused by management understaffing and the staff killing themselves to take care of the patients.

Not reasonable. And it's on management, not on you. You should be able to take reasonable breaks, get food, have a pee break, etc.  Might they be irregularly timed due to varying patient demand? Sure. But if you regularly miss eating for an entire shift, that's a management fuckup.

Totally KEE-rect. And I've been telling management this and having meetings for the last couple of months. Nothing is happening but they did offer me a small pay rise. Too little, too late. If management don't actually feel the problem themselves, and they're not getting bad feedback from 'clients', there's no problem! Now, no longer my problem, or not for much longer anyway. I feel 100% better already, just knowing that I'm leaving.

AnnaGrowsAMustache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #69 on: October 22, 2017, 01:35:51 AM »

In other news, I JUST found an advertised opening for an industry position (not practice), that would involve mostly teaching (hooray), and that is for a company that I have mad respect for (important). AND I live right in the center of the territory for which they are hiring.

I applied.

So sorry for the threadjack, but thank you so much for your awesomeness, inspiration, and support!!

No threadjack at all - you're in the same position as me, and it's made me even happier about having quit! Make sure you come back here with updates!

TartanTallulah

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #70 on: October 23, 2017, 08:38:21 AM »

I applied.

Fingers very firmly crossed for you.