Author Topic: Ridiculous Industry "Standards" Designed to Take Your Money  (Read 17148 times)

Trimatty471

• Stubble
Re: Ridiculous Industry "Standards" Designed to Take Your Money
« Reply #50 on: December 14, 2014, 01:51:04 PM »
Wait! I never knew tipping minimum was 10%.

I would say the minimum that you are supposed to give for weddings.  I was told $50.00.

« Last Edit: December 14, 2014, 02:08:33 PM by Trimatty471 »

Trimatty471

• Stubble
« Reply #51 on: December 14, 2014, 01:52:34 PM »
Do not flame me but, when  I was a young church goer, the Pastor never preached about giving 10%.

Trimatty471

• Stubble
« Reply #52 on: December 14, 2014, 01:57:07 PM »
Two things have been coming up with me recently with kids:

1) Birthday parties. EVERY SINGLE FRIEND of my daughter has a birthday party, and it seems like they do it every year.  And of course, we're invited to each and every party and then need to get a gift.  Is this really normal?  I seem to remember having maybe one birthday party growing up.  Are they really supposed to be a yearly thing now?  Does no one just have a quiet little birthday celebration at home anymore? I'm supposed to spend money each year on throwing a party for my kid, and then also buy gifts for another 10 friends throughout the year.  Seems excessive. 

2) End of year gift for preK/ Kindergarten teacher.  Has this always been a thing?  I seem to remember maybe making a card or something for a teacher to say thank you at years' end.  But it seems like the normal is to get the teachers more, like gift cards, etc.. Don't get me wrong, I love our teachers, but are all the parents really supposed to get them a Target/Best Buy/Starbucks gift card at year end?  Again, maybe that's always been the case but just seems weird to me.

Multiple baby shower gifts.  Growing up, you get one shower.  But no more.  I know people who has a shower for every child thereafter.  I only gift once.

Trimatty471

• Stubble
« Reply #53 on: December 14, 2014, 02:01:16 PM »
Don't get me started!  Almost everything is the expectation game.   Expected to have a big nice house and clown car.  Expected to throw away food after its "best by" date.  Expected to buy a closet full of hygiene, cosmetic, cleaning products.  Expected to own a huge wardrobe.   Expected to sell $1000 worth of $20 a bag popcorn for Cub Scouts. 

Expected to go out to dinner with friends.  Expected to visit relatives frequently. Expected to give wedding,  graduation,  birthday, office, birth,  birthday,  shower,  valintines,  xmas,  anniversary, easter, gifts.

The list is really endless!   DeBeers was pure genius with their engagement marketing though.  Since they control over 90% of the Diamond supply they can charge whatever they like and there is no correlation between mining costs and diamond costs. 

So if you're in the market for a diamond ring,  go with a nice CZ ring.  Even the pros can't tell the difference.   Diamonds last forever but CS rings last only 300 years though! lol

Expected to buy a home based on "good" school district along with its costly annual property taxes.

Sunnymo

• Stubble
« Reply #54 on: December 14, 2014, 02:30:52 PM »
I have just found out I am pregnant for what is likely to be the only time. This is at age 44 and after 6 rounds of IVF ( very un-mustachian but in Australia the public health system covers many of the costs). I have mentioned that an eternity ring would be very much appreciated, however anything more will not.

Funny you should mention this. I finally became pregnant at age 45 after much infertility treatment, & fortunately had a healthy son, now 21. After his birth, DH gave me an eternity ring which I really appreciated.

I wish you well on your journey. It helped me to take just one week at a time, because I knew we wouldn't get a second chance.

Thanks so much Gizmo. In one sense not really letting it sink in yet, and don't want to get to attached until testing is complete. But also conscious of making sure I do involve myself in the experience because as you said there is unlikely to be a second chance.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!