Author Topic: Resume Help  (Read 2411 times)

cj25

• Stubble
Resume Help
« on: December 21, 2016, 03:54:53 PM »
Does anyone know where to get resume help for tech work?  DH is a software developer and I think he needs to improve his resume, but I don't want to just pay some random resume writing service.  Would prefer someone who knows what people hiring his profession are looking for. Thanks!

ysette9

• Walrus Stache
Re: Resume Help
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2016, 04:40:33 PM »
ÇA he ask a mentor or other trusted colleague? Does your alma mater have a career center that he can go to for feedback?

Cwadda

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2016, 05:03:15 PM »
I actually found a few folks on MMM who were willing to critique my resume and give career advice. You could always start a topic about it with specific questions.

Here's the topic I made several years ago that has benefited a whole lot. http://forum.mrmoneymustache.com/ask-a-mustachian/looking-for-environment-scientists-and-geologists/msg312330/#msg312330

I'd look over the resume, but software development is totally not in my area of expertise.

ender

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2016, 06:27:42 PM »
Does anyone know where to get resume help for tech work?  DH is a software developer and I think he needs to improve his resume, but I don't want to just pay some random resume writing service.  Would prefer someone who knows what people hiring his profession are looking for. Thanks!

What types of software development jobs is he applying for?

If he has any semblance of a network he probably can find jobs trivially.

Not wanting to pay for someone makes it pretty straightfoward - find previous coworker friends, mentors, managers, or someone he respects. He even could find someone internally if he's interested in applying for an internal job.

Alternatively, if he has a linked-in he probably gets all sorts of spam. That might be a decent route to actually pursue those relationships.

Lanthiriel

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2016, 07:06:03 PM »
I do marketing, primarily proposals, for a civil engineering firm, which means create a lot of resumes. I've also been responsible for choosing software development consultants for my firms. If you want me to take a look, PM me.

80% of having a decent resume is formatting and grammar. My sister in the energy field finally sucked up her pride and sent me her resume after applying to jobs for more than a year. She literally just got a job offer from the first place she applied to with that resume. My husband also just finished his fifth interview in three weeks using one of my resumes.

WFUDEAC

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2016, 07:37:11 PM »
I know University Career Services are now offering such services to alumni. You might check there...

Grogounet

• Bristles
    • http://www.quest2independence.com
« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2016, 09:03:30 PM »
Can we see the resume? (Maybe be without the name to remain anonymous)

minority_finance_mo

• Pencil Stache
    • Minority Finance
« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2016, 09:47:48 PM »
As your DH works on his resume, I would also advice him to keep his LinkedIn profile up-to-date. My last job search was done almost entirely through recruiters who reached out to me on LinkedIn (typically 2-3/week when I was actively looking). Help recruiters find you by making your profile strong.

Grogounet

• Bristles
    • http://www.quest2independence.com
« Reply #8 on: December 21, 2016, 09:49:09 PM »
Even more... Be sure that they match ! (resume vs Linkedin)
This is what I use when I interview to be sure there is not too much BS

cj25

• Stubble
« Reply #9 on: December 22, 2016, 09:54:30 AM »

What types of software development jobs is he applying for?

If he has any semblance of a network he probably can find jobs trivially.

Not wanting to pay for someone makes it pretty straightfoward - find previous coworker friends, mentors, managers, or someone he respects. He even could find someone internally if he's interested in applying for an internal job.

Alternatively, if he has a linked-in he probably gets all sorts of spam. That might be a decent route to actually pursue those relationships.

He does not have much a network and he's trying to change industries and hopefully locations, so it's a bit tougher. 

We would pay for it, but just want to make sure we're paying for a worthwhile service. 

Enigma

• Bristles
« Reply #10 on: December 22, 2016, 10:03:20 AM »
Things to note for a technical resume....

- Formatting is critical.  A resume cant look like a lot of paragraphs or too much information
 - Action verbs (past tense) should start every bullet - do a search online for resume action verbs software developer
 - Technical resumes can be 2 pages with countless technical background (possible to exceed the 1pg standard)

My company has open positions for software developers (Leidos) but other companies are struggling as well.  One thing to note that location is everything...  If you are in a location that has no need then that isn't helpful.

You are more than welcome to request a copy of my resume.  I wasn't able to attach it to a IM.

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #11 on: December 22, 2016, 10:28:01 AM »
My software engineering resume has generally been well received and is arranged like this:

Career Profile/Executive Summary/Whatever you want to call this:
- List four or five single sentence points that consider your best (sellable) features and give a good overview of what benefits/strengths you will bring to a company.  An example point would go something like this:  "Software engineer with X years of experience defining requirements, designing systems, and developing algorithms, specializing in Y industries."

Skills Section:
- Important to have this up near the front and not hidden at the back.  List a point with languages, a point with special software, and a point with operating systems you've used at a job.  This section is usually quickly scanned through by an employer to verify that the basic requirements of the job are met . . . so make it easy for them to scan.  Don't add too much information here.

Experience:
- List your employers and dates in reverse chronological order
- For each employer, list your duties/tasks/accomplishments.  For each duty/task/accomplishment, indicate and quantify why and how this was a good thing for the company.  (Rather than 'Automated build procedures' put 'Automated build procedures, reducing turn-around time to perform releases by 70%'.  Rather than 'Worked on X project design' put 'Worked on X project, delivered successful design changes that allowed project to meet Y release deadline'.)

Education:
- Name of your school, date of graduation
- a quick sentence about something impressive that you did that's related to the field you're in (if your marks were impressive, maybe mention what they were)

A Note About Length:
- Don't put stuff in there that's just filler.  It's not impressive, it's boring and will turn off an employer.  Every point in the resume taken on it's own should read as something about you that's awesome for a software company.  I've been working for ten years, and have a two page resume.  I've seen some good three page resumes.  It's very, very, very rare that a four page resume is good and filler-free.
- What I do when writing a resume is make a 5 page one, then keep cutting/optimizing parts until it's been stripped down to two pages.  This is a painful process, but makes sure that you are highlighting just the very best of your talents.

Laserjet3051

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #12 on: December 22, 2016, 10:56:12 AM »
Things to note for a technical resume....

- Formatting is critical.  A resume cant look like a lot of paragraphs or too much information
 - Action verbs (past tense) should start every bullet - do a search online for resume action verbs software developer
 - Technical resumes can be 2 pages with countless technical background (possible to exceed the 1pg standard)

My company has open positions for software developers (Leidos) but other companies are struggling as well.  One thing to note that location is everything...  If you are in a location that has no need then that isn't helpful.

You are more than welcome to request a copy of my resume.  I wasn't able to attach it to a IM.

I recently reviewed the resume from a highly renowned physician/scientist for a high level position. It was 58 pages long, all of which were core credentials, no fluff!!  YMMV

cj25

• Stubble
« Reply #13 on: December 22, 2016, 11:57:09 AM »
Why do resumes all have to be so accomplishment based nowadays?  What if you just did your fucking job?

ender

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #14 on: December 22, 2016, 11:57:50 AM »
Why do resumes all have to be so accomplishment based nowadays?  What if you just did your fucking job?

then you'd have accomplishments to put on your resume!

minority_finance_mo

• Pencil Stache
    • Minority Finance
« Reply #15 on: December 22, 2016, 12:11:40 PM »

Lol +1

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #16 on: December 22, 2016, 12:16:56 PM »

If your best accomplishment is doing enough to avoid getting fired, I wouldn't want to hire you.

bobechs

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #17 on: December 22, 2016, 12:22:20 PM »

Or, equally impressive, other people's accomplishments to put on your resume.

cj25

• Stubble
« Reply #18 on: December 22, 2016, 12:23:39 PM »
I just mean not everything is some grand accomplishment.  Not everyone saves $5 billion in revenue or whatever.  Some corporate structures are set-up not to encourage accomplishment.  My job certainly does not.  Your suggestions, improvements, etc are not needed, accepted, etc... Some jobs are just mundane.  Why isn't listing what you know how to do enough? 

Enigma

• Bristles
« Reply #19 on: December 22, 2016, 01:07:09 PM »
Why isn't listing what you know how to do enough?

A software developer is an artist...  they have lots of different paints (software languages) and they create art (code).  Who wants to hire a good enough or mundane painter?

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #20 on: December 22, 2016, 01:26:45 PM »
I just mean not everything is some grand accomplishment.  Not everyone saves $5 billion in revenue or whatever.  Some corporate structures are set-up not to encourage accomplishment.  My job certainly does not.  Your suggestions, improvements, etc are not needed, accepted, etc... Some jobs are just mundane.  Why isn't listing what you know how to do enough?

I guess most hiring managers are looking for the best possible candidate, not just an ass to fill a seat.

ender

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #21 on: December 22, 2016, 01:51:59 PM »

I guess most hiring managers are looking for the best possible candidate, not just an ass to fill a seat.

You mean someone was supposed to have done something prior to hiring them?

Because plenty of people don't do anything. People have the same year of experience 10 times.  Because people lie on their resumes.

I don't care if something is mundane. I care that something is something.

If you work for a company that pays you to be a butt-in-seat, then odds are you probably wouldn't be a good hire. And also, if that's the case, find a better company before you have 10 years of "Senior seat-filler" on your resume.