Author Topic: Republic Wireless Labs: Maestro - Getting Paid Back for Using Less Data  (Read 5517 times)

MillenialMustache

• Bristles
Did anyone else sign up for Republic Wireless labs when they sent an e-mail a few weeks ago? I signed up, and I was selected for their first pilot! It looks like they are piloting a program where if you use less data, they give you money back - it sounds pretty neat to me. Here are the details:

"Our members share comments with us like the ones quoted above all the time. Part of what makes Republic different, and keeps us (and you) a step ahead of the other guys, is that we listen. If there’s an opportunity to make things better, we’re sure gonna try. It’s in our very DNA to continue hunting down opportunities to give our members the best service experience possible. So! We’re going to proactively test new ways to save you even more off each monthly bill – especially if you use more WiFi. But here’s the really fun part, thousands of our members are gonna help us do the testing, starting May 18th.

Like emperordahc calls out above, we’re curious what would happen if we stopped measuring you by cell data speeds, and measured you by how much cell data you use instead. What if you had total control over your plans and could appropriately size them for what best fits your needs? What if we built a bunch of new tools on our site and in our app to help guide you along the way and make it as easy as possible to know how you stack up? And, what if you could get paid back each month for whatever cell data you didn’t use? Like, in money. Actual dollars credited back to your account.

Fact:  Our members want access to LTE coverage, but only 4% were willing to pay extra for an LTE plan.

Fact: On average, every single smartphone user is overpaying about $16/month for service they never use.

Fact: Because of this “wireless waste,” if you want any data with the big carriers, even if you only need 1MB, you’re stuck paying a minimum of $30 from having to go “all-in”.

If you signed up and were selected for Lab 1: Maestro, then having total control over your plan and the ability to get paid back for what you don’t use is exactly what you’ll be helping us test and figure out, this May. A seamless WiFi + Cell Network was just the beginning. If all goes well, you may very well help us change the entire mobile industry all over again…"

Daley

• Magnum Stache
  • Still kickin', I guess.
*facepalm*

Let's not actually fix any of the serious technical issues, relax the heinous legal contracts, or provide actual technical support to our paying customers... we're gonna give our members the "best service experience possible" and "change the entire mobile industry" by creating the most convoluted implementation of Pay As You Go that the mobile world has ever seen!

Consider this the warning shot for the end of your precious (and financially unsustainable) "unlimited" $25+ tax plan with the hypothetical 5GB data cap.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2015, 12:21:18 PM by I.P. Daley »

iknowiyam

• Stubble
    • The Honest Yam
I got this, will volunteer. We will see. I'm game.

Ozymandiaz

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Hey, I'm wondering now that Republic Wireless has started their Maestro lab test if any one here is participating and what they think of it. The initial feedback when it was proposed on the Republic Wireless forum seemed pretty negative. We've been with Republic Wireless for almost a year (signed up after hearing about them here I think) and have been quite happy (I've described our Republic Wireless experience over the past year here). But we're on the $10 talk and text plan with unlimited wifi data and no mobile data. We can live with wifi only data, so the $10 plan is awesome and is saving us serious cash. I'm actually glad my daughter only has wifi data, since she's already on her phone enough as it is. I think mobile data for a kid might not be such a good thing. :)
I'm wondering how many Mustachians(?) use Republic Wireless, and how many pay for mobile data? If you're on $10 plan like me then data doesn't matter. But if you are on the current $25 plan with "unlimited mobile data", would you rather pay $25 to get up to 5gb whether you need it or not, or pay $25 to get up to 1gb, but then get up to $15 back if you don't use all of your data (which is what Maestro proposes). I like the Republic Maestro idea, but I don't think most people understand it, and thus don't like it, or it could be some people use more than 1gb regularly, in which case the proposal would not save but would cost more... 
« Last Edit: June 04, 2015, 06:42:27 PM by Ozymandiaz »

GodlessCommie

• Pencil Stache
I've been on Republic for over a year, switching between $10 and $25 plans, and moved my kids to $10 plans. Major savings, even counting the purchase of the phones. When I'm abroad, I downgrade to $5, and it has been a major convenience to keep the number and pay nothing for calls to/from the US. Free wifi is easy to find. Too bad I didn't get invited into the trial, I would participate.

Was anyone able to register for Lyft with a Republic number?

StockBeard

• Pencil Stache
I'm on T-Mobile with the $30 "unlimited" data right now. Would people suggest switching to Republic? (I don't call/text much, but I do lots of Data, I easily use 4GB of 4G each month)

daschtick

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
I'm on T-Mobile with the $30 "unlimited" data right now. Would people suggest switching to Republic? (I don't call/text much, but I do lots of Data, I easily use 4GB of 4G each month)

Absolutely not.  Republic's strength is unlimited calling and text for $10.  They would prefer you handle data over wifi, hence the proposed price structure.

purplepear

• Stubble
Was anyone able to register for Lyft with a Republic number?

As far as I know, the Lyft app won't work with Republic wireless numbers. Uber works fine though.

daschtick

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
*facepalm*

Let's not actually fix any of the serious technical issues, relax the heinous legal contracts, or provide actual technical support to our paying customers... we're gonna give our members the "best service experience possible" and "change the entire mobile industry" by creating the most convoluted implementation of Pay As You Go that the mobile world has ever seen!

Consider this the warning shot for the end of your precious (and financially unsustainable) "unlimited" $25+ tax plan with the hypothetical 5GB data cap.

Do you have 18 months experience with 3 Republic lines?  I didn't think so.  Have you experienced "serious technical issues" or "heinous legal contracts" with Republic?  Neither have I.

I can appreciate that you offer several alternatives, and I had thoroughly investigated your suggestions prior to deciding on a MVNO, however, Republic simply  fit my situation better.  My phones work fantastic, and the ability to seemlessly call over wifi has been a fantastic bonus for calls made my home, which is located in a cellular weak spot.  I also have been able to make calls to the US over wifi while traveling out of the country.  Honestly, my service has IMPROVED switching to Republic.

So why so much intense hate?  Your posts in EVERY Republic thread are verging on troll-like responses.  Just wondering.

Spoom

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
I'm on the Maestro lab, waiting for my plan date to change over.  By my calculations, I should save about $10 / mo without having to do anything since I only use about 300 MB of data a month.  Bonus: Free 4G!

It is a bit roundabout, I guess.  But specifically for my situation, it works really well.  The new plans do kill the usability of the service for super heavy data users, but I think that's the point.  Thankfully, I'm around wi-fi way more often than not.

Haters gonna hate.

Edit: While I don't get the hate on Republic in particular, I will say that I'm thankful for I.P. Daley's guides.  I did look at every option listed and still ended up at Republic when I was switching from Verizon.

Edit 2: For the sake of discussion for non-Maestro folks, here are what the new plans look like:

$5 / mo - Wi-fi only, unlimited calls and texts, no cell coverage, no data.  Stays as-is.
$10 / mo - Wi-fi and cell coverage, unlimited calls and texts, no data.  Stays as-is if this is the only thing you want.

Data options are added to the $10 / mo base at a rate of $15 per GB of cellular data.  So it looks like this:

$25 / mo - Wi-fi and cell coverage, unlimited calls and texts, 1 GB of cellular data on 3G and 4G.
$40 / mo - Wi-fi and cell coverage, unlimited calls and texts, 2 GB of cellular data
etc. etc.  More data can be purchased mid-cycle.

Additionally, you are refunded the amount of data purchased but not actually used on your next billing cycle.  This is why my $25 / mo plan will turn into something like $14 / mo.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2015, 11:24:19 AM by Spoom »

Daley

• Magnum Stache
  • Still kickin', I guess.
Do you have 18 months experience with 3 Republic lines?  I didn't think so.  Have you experienced "serious technical issues" or "heinous legal contracts" with Republic?  Neither have I.

<snip>

So why so much intense hate?  Your posts in EVERY Republic thread are verging on troll-like responses.  Just wondering.

Two things, Daschtick.

1) I've helped hundreds of people over the years selflessly dedicating my time to this community alone to help with people's communications, and I've had less complaints publicly made or brought to me within this community about the MVNOs I personally recommend in my guide total than the number of Republic lines in your house. This time has included helping to fix issues with Republic Wireless and find working alternatives to help people get back out of what they have described consistently to me as "one of the worst decisions" they have ever made. These are not my words, and I have lost track of the number of people who have contacted me directly seeking my counsel on getting back out of a Republic Wireless switch. The number of people who I've dealt with directly who have had bad experiences using Republic well outnumber your three lines by several fold. They are the most consistently complained about MVNO I've dealt with here. That's also not counting the growing number of people who have publicly switched to Republic and then left or decided that once the phone dies they won't be back in these forums alone.

I've also talked on the phone with several people who own and use Republic handsets happily, and yet they are consistently some of the worst quality calls I encounter, next to MagicJack and Google Voice calls.

2) I never point out anything more than documented issues and the reality of the service. I simply state that there are better options for the money, repeatedly, and I regularly bring huge gobs of data to the table to back those claims. Over the years of doing this, the only people who have ever claimed that this repeated statement and echoing of fact is "hating" are always Republic Wireless customers who have emotionally invested in the company's guerrilla marketing practices, sometimes even quoting Republic's own ad copy to counter and rebuff me.

No other MVNO inspires this sort of reaction and behavior out of its users in this community or elsewhere. NONE. Where's this similar outpouring of vitriol from the America Movil users around here towards me for what I say about StraightTalk or NET10 or Tracfone or Page Plus or SIMple Mobile or...?

To quote myself from elsewhere:

I know IP hates Republic.

No, I do not hate Republic. I simply think they are a terrible MVNO for the money, especially when measured against the competiton, and I've repeatedly detailed out why ad nauseum. That is not hate, that is an informed decision.

What I do hate is uninformed people who make terrible recommendations without considering the real world shortcomings of the service they suggest, mislead others on what I actually recommend and say, and insist on telling other people what I think... well, maybe hate is a strong word. Not hate, simply dislike.

Again... there's better for the money, without the drawbacks. That is not hate. It is speaking the truth in love to people to try and help prevent them from making a potentially costly mistake and be informed upon their decision. Was my response in this thread perhaps a bit snarky? Maybe, but it's absurdest marketing spin to further take away their promise of "unlimited" mobile service while raising rates again and claiming "innovation" while doing so. It deserves to be mocked, and my pointed observations should be a legitimate concern for anyone who switched for the sole factor of monthly cost alone. I'm sorry that you can't see through the marketing and that you view me as the enemy. I am nothing more than a consumer rights advocate at the core, and there's plenty of documentation to show that my voiced concerns over Republic are more than warranted.

You want to talk about someone tired of needless hate? Put yourself in my shoes for a change. I don't hate Republic Wireless, but a lot of their customers in these forums and elsewhere certainly haven't ingratiated themselves upon me.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2015, 01:31:02 PM by I.P. Daley »