Author Topic: Replacing kitchen cabinet doors /drawers?  (Read 7603 times)

MrsPete

• Magnum Stache
Replacing kitchen cabinet doors /drawers?
« on: June 26, 2017, 08:25:03 PM »
My house was built in 1973 and still has the original kitchen cabinets.  They were custom built, and the cabinet boxes themselves are still in fairly good shape; however, the doors /drawer fronts have seen better days.  Some are warped from age and do not close nicely.  And the door style is flat and screams 1970s, and not in a cute vintage-y way. 

I'm thinking that replacing the doors will be expensive but not nearly as expensive (or time consuming) as replacing the whole cabinet set.  I'm also thinking of painting the cabinets. 

Any hints on how to go about finding someone to replace cabinet doors /drawers?  Any idea what it'd cost per door?  I'm up for painting the cabinets myself ... but I need to pay someone to do the replacements themselves. 

Greystache

• Pencil Stache
Re: Replacing kitchen cabinet doors /drawers?
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2017, 10:21:30 AM »
I replaced my cabinet doors and drawer fronts a few years ago.  I just went to Home Depot. The have a kitchen design dept. where you can just give them the measurements and choose the style and order them.  They show up in a couple weeks ready to install.  I chose unfinished because I wanted to match the existing cabinets exactly. I stained and finished them myself and and hung them myself.  You can get the doors and drawer fronts pre-finished and you can hire someone to install them if you don't feel like doing it yourself.  A couple things to consider before you start. 
1. How are the drawer fronts attached? If they are just screwed on that's great.  If they are glued on or they are part of the drawer (e.g. dovetailed to the rest of the drawer) then you may have to buy whole drawers. I was lucky. Mine were screwed and glued. It took a little work, but I was able to get the old fronts off without damaging the rest of the drawer.
2. What kind of hinges are on the existing cabinets? If you have surface mount hinges, you either have to use the old hinges, find new ones with the same hole spacing, or fill the old holes.  If you are painting the old cabinets, filling holes is not a problem.  If you are keeping the old cabinets stained, then you can fill the old holes with colored putty, but it will still be visible upon close inspection.
3. If you choose to paint the old cabinets, you can usually get the doors and drawers painted at the factory and have them ship matching paint for the cabinets.  Be very careful when prepping the cabinets for paint. No matter how clean you keep your kitchen, your cabinets will have a grease film on them. This has to be completely cleaned off or the paint won't stick.

I don't remember how much it cost. Under two grand I think.  It really depends on how many pieces you need and ow elaborate of a design you choose.

Catbert

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2017, 11:47:23 AM »
I can't answer you actual questions (i.e. cost and vendors) but I have had both these things done:

In the 1980s I updated a early 1960s kitchen including new doors and re-skinned cabinets.  Those cabinets are still there!  It's been a rental for the last 20 years  so it's had some hard use but still hanging in there.

I recently did a remodel of my principle residence.  I ended up painting rather than replacing the 1990s oak cabinets which were still in good shape and decent layout.  Turned out great.  I had it done.  The removed and took away the doors for spray painting with "lacquer".  Sprayed the cabinets in place.  Nothing I could have done myself. Total cost was a bit over 2K.  HCOL area and lots of cabinets in kitchen and adjacent laundry room.

index

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2017, 01:18:29 PM »
http://www.barkerdoor.com/

I've done two kitchens with their shaker doors  that you can paint yourself. Great quality. With hardware I spent about  $1700 for 38 cabinet doors.

Miss Tash

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2017, 01:44:26 PM »
I used these guys and was really happy.  They held my hand throughout the whole process and when something went a teeny bit wrong they stepped up and made it right.

http://www.taylorcabinetdoor.com/

I did the finishing of them myself ($1000 savings) but would not do it again, unless I was retired.  I had cabinet doors/drawer fronts all over the basement in various stages of painting/sanding/drying.  Good experience but I definitely learned that lesson and I was only doing a clear coat on maple!

good luck.

paddedhat

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2017, 04:55:12 PM »
We have a kitchen that was built in the 50s and probably refaced in the 80s. The workmanship of the remodel was outstanding, but the layout and utility of the original kitchen is bizarre and useless. There is 21 lineal feet of base cabinet, and no real space to fit anything as big as a large sauce pan in the lower cabinets. Enough space for 20-30 cookie sheets and pizza pans, but it's not a bakery, so who cares? I wonder how many others are out there with a few grand spent on putting a "silk dress on a pig"?

NoVa

• Stubble
« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2017, 09:31:01 AM »
We have a kitchen that was built in the 50s and probably refaced in the 80s. The workmanship of the remodel was outstanding, but the layout and utility of the original kitchen is bizarre and useless. There is 21 lineal feet of base cabinet, and no real space to fit anything as big as a large sauce pan in the lower cabinets. Enough space for 20-30 cookie sheets and pizza pans, but it's not a bakery, so who cares? I wonder how many others are out there with a few grand spent on putting a "silk dress on a pig"?

I had a similar situation. Layout was awful (sliding glass double door along a wall), cabinets weren't really cabinets, but six foot long pieces of plywood with doors and dividers, etc. Got nice maple cabinets from Home Depot (probably could have done better, but this was pre-MMM), found a guy who was just getting started on his own but had been a general contractor and helped him install them. This meant I was there for three days, but I got to make lots of tiny decisions about molding, placement and a few other things. The contractor turned out to be a blessing, had plumber and electrician contacts. We turned the sliding glass door into a sink along a long countertop with a window looking out into the sunroom. 15 years later, couldn't be happier. Sometimes you have to just rip it out. 

Rosy

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2017, 03:53:21 PM »
I was blessed with a good kitchen layout, but the cabinets were all custom built - not one single cabinet is a standard size. Mr. R. had it updated in 1972, hand built by a local curmudgeon old school carpenter in his late seventies.

Honestly, all you saw was walls of artificial wood laminated onto plywood - I couldn't wait to get rid of it, until I realized I'd have to pay for all new custom everything kitchen cabinets. Looked like blocks of wood - stacked high.
Lucky for us Mr. R. has a cousin who can do anything:)

First -  I had him take off the entire top row of small cabinet doors, cut openings for glass inserts (his other cousin deals with glass:)
Then - I hunted down interior cabinet lights at Lowes - looks fabulous.
We installed a button below the bottom cabinet - touch it and the entire row of cabinets up top lights up in three different stages of intensity.

The main cabinets I left as is, they worked fine, except for the front facing cabinet above the kitchen island - I chose glass for it as well and just keep it stocked with pretty glassware.

The cabinet above the refrigerator came down too low - the new refrigerator would not fit below. I took that opportunity to have the existing cabinet and door cut off at the bottom. Since I am short - we left it just low enough to where I can reach it to open - if:) - the hardware was placed lower and sideways instead of vertical.
Details:)

The most ingenious part was the drawer makeover - I complained about the size and extra depth of the drawers creating a hell hole that swallowed up everything.
Ha! Turns out his wonderful cousin is a good carpenter and said nonchalantly, "Oh, I can fix that. How would you like two or three drawers instead?"
So he converted three of the big hell holes into functional drawer space including one that is super shallow, my new spice drawer. Love it!

Mr. R. is a little handy too and converted a large lower cabinet into a slide out metal organizer for pots and pans. Yeah, no more crawling on my knees to find the little pot in the back.

Then I talked the cuz into painting the laminated wood over Mr. R's protests, a very light buttery vanilla. Chose new knobs and drawer pulls, but left the old hinge hardware intact.
That turned out to be the only fly in the ointment - the paint is coming off around the knobs and in a couple spots, after six years, but only on the cabinets I use daily. We were rushing to get it done for a big party - I think all it needed were two more coats. So sometime this year we will repaint several of the cabinet doors. Most still look like new.   

The cabinets below the island are painted a rich espresso brown to show off the beige-brown-cream countertop. That was a spur of the moment decision that turned out looking rather elegant. It also works well with the dining furniture in the immediately adjacent open dining area. We've since switched dining furniture and it looks even better now.

Other than the cabinets, I insisted on enlarging the window, before we even started - best decision ever:) and we added a new granite countertop, took a while to find a good deal, but it was worth it - standing in the rain in their yard, picking out a particular slab and marking the area I wanted - so fun:).
Added new lighting, sink, faucet, refrigerator, stove, dishwasher, it was all worn out or broken.

I'll see if I can find my pics, oh and the price for the kitchen cabinet makeover was cheap - just the glass, one new door (plywood)- the old one was bowed, paint and interior lights and knobs. Around $500 incl labor.
Total kitchen renovation, right at $3,500.
This was my fifth or more kitchen makeover - I'm done, just one more bath reno and I am out of the design/reno biz:).

kra1996

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2019, 08:04:52 AM »
Hi, I recently renovated my kitchen but since my kitchen units were still in good condition (only got them 7 years ago), I just replaced my kitchen unit doors. It cost me around £9.50 per door but I know that they do cheaper/more expensive ones. I saved hundreds of pounds and you would never know that I didn’t buy the whole kitchen unit brand new. I got them from Larks & Larks https://www.larkandlarks.co.uk/kitchen-doors?page=2 but I know that there are other websites that do it too. Hope this helps :)

partgypsy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2019, 08:59:30 AM »
My house was built in 1973 and still has the original kitchen cabinets.  They were custom built, and the cabinet boxes themselves are still in fairly good shape; however, the doors /drawer fronts have seen better days.  Some are warped from age and do not close nicely.  And the door style is flat and screams 1970s, and not in a cute vintage-y way. 

I'm thinking that replacing the doors will be expensive but not nearly as expensive (or time consuming) as replacing the whole cabinet set.  I'm also thinking of painting the cabinets. 

Any hints on how to go about finding someone to replace cabinet doors /drawers?  Any idea what it'd cost per door?  I'm up for painting the cabinets myself ... but I need to pay someone to do the replacements themselves.

I ditto first looking at the layout and needs of your kitchen. If the current cabinets meet your needs for storage and layout, then replacing cabinet fronts, which is essentially "cosmetic" sounds right. But it there is something that bothers you about the cabinets, then might be worth the time and expense to completely replace.
I didn't reface my cabinets but if you were willing to install yourself, there are a ton of places on the internet. You do need to know if you have "faced" or "faceless" cabinet styles. what I would do is decide what you want and then go on "citydata" or local listserves to ask people local to you who they would recommend. Sometimes the best people don't have the best advertising to find them.

soccerluvof4

• Walrus Stache
  • Retired at 50
    • My Journal
« Reply #10 on: January 09, 2019, 11:59:35 AM »
I live in a 1971 ranch that I have been redoing since I fired. I googled Cabinet refacing by me and found a guy that totally refaced all my cabinets and even redid the doors in a way to cover more of the spacing between the doors. I had literally more than enough doors to choose from as well as thousands of stains. The counter tops were all new marble otherwise I would of replaced the cabinets BUT it was the way to go and a 1/3 of the price to install new cabinets but in my mind they are brand new. Including all the hardware.