Author Topic: Reliable car for 2000-2500 bucks (+snow tires)?  (Read 3413 times)

newideas2013

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Reliable car for 2000-2500 bucks (+snow tires)?
« on: September 21, 2013, 04:30:33 AM »
I am seriously considering selling my truck to save on gas but it's realistic private market value is only about 2200-2600 and that's if the ad doesn't "sit" unsold for a while. I looked at compareables on craigslist/kijiji and think 2600 is a good starting point for what I have but it's possible I don't even get any bites all the way down to 2000.

It's a reliable V6 small pickup so it's not THAT bad but it's not great either. I'd be seeing probably 120-140 in gas savings a month and I am a first year apprentice so I get annual 10% raises. I am trying to make myself more financially comfortable especially over the first 2 years of apprenticeship, ESPECIALLY first year. I do bring home about 2600/month after taxes but I am trying to free up some cash each month so I can pay down my CC debt, cover bills and that is my first year goals.

If I realistically have 2200-2600 cash to buy a used car from a private seller my only worry is I get something unreliable, where repair costs offset any gas savings I see. I also need snow tires for the winter which my truck has. Guzzle gas as it may, it's reliable and I know it can handle the winter. Buying a new used car, is a big unknown.

I work on various jobsites across the city, right now we're on a stable site for at least another 3-6 months, but after that who knows? I might end up living next door to the jobsite (we build hotels, high rises, warehouses etc) but in my current situation it's on the complete other side of town which brings me to a 20 minute morning commute and 35-45 minute commute home. We start at 5:45am so public transit isn't really an option, neither is biking.

I don't want to take more debt for car payments either.

In my situation do you still think it's best to sell my '01 small pickup with 240,000km, good snow tires and some rust issues, but mechanically sound to buy an older (95-98) hatchback with higher kilometers that is a complete unknown to save some gas money each month? I'd probably have to look at buying used snow tires and do it quickly.

chasesfish

• Magnum Stache
Re: Reliable car for 2000-2500 bucks (+snow tires)?
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2013, 08:38:49 AM »
I'd say keep the truck for another year or two until the raises come.  In the realm of a $2500 vehicle, you're savings would probably be lost buying someone else's used car that you don't know the repair history on.

daverobev

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2013, 09:20:55 AM »
Honda Civics of that age are generally praised, as are Toyota Corollas. For $125 a month? Hmm. I'd say save up for a few months and get something you know will last a long time.

Try to drive more frugally and see if that helps.

Re: CC debt, see if you can get a 0%-for-a-year deal somewhere, and really hammer it...

Spudd

• Stubble
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2013, 09:40:16 AM »
I would keep the truck if it were me, at least until it breaks down or needs new tires. I don't see that trading it for an older hatchback that you need to get snow tires for is a winning situation. You may have higher maintenance costs on the hatchback (since it's older than the truck) and you definitely have the up-front cost of buying tires, unless you can find one where the owner is selling it with snow tires already.

newideas2013

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2013, 09:51:04 AM »
I might just keep the truck then and hope my next job site is closer. Maybe in a year or two look into something more efficient, thanks for the ideas!

sleepyguy

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2013, 11:23:11 AM »
As much as I hate the gas consumption on my Impreza 2.5TS Wagon... IT IS FANTASTIC IN SNOW!  I picked up my 03 Impreza Wagon for about $5k many moons ago with under 100k on it.  It still runs perfectly fine still with about 200k on it.  I'm sure you can pick one up with under 150k for like 2-2.5k  With snow tires on its super fun to drive :)

daverobev

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2013, 01:02:28 PM »
As much as I hate the gas consumption on my Impreza 2.5TS Wagon... IT IS FANTASTIC IN SNOW!  I picked up my 03 Impreza Wagon for about $5k many moons ago with under 100k on it.  It still runs perfectly fine still with about 200k on it.  I'm sure you can pick one up with under 150k for like 2-2.5k  With snow tires on its super fun to drive :)

Wow, that's a nice deal. Can you sleep in the back of it?