Author Topic: Quartermaster, a web-based "grocery price book"  (Read 858 times)

VividPixels

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Quartermaster, a web-based "grocery price book"
« on: January 19, 2021, 04:38:45 PM »
Hi everyone, long time lurker but rare poster!

I've been working for a while on a little side project called Quartermaster. It's meant to be a digital "grocery price book". The idea is that it's collaborative, so as more people use it, we collectively get more information about grocery prices worldwide. My mission is to arm all consumers with the kind of home-economics knowledge that good shoppers acquire painstakingly over decades.

I only have a few hours each week to dedicate to it so it's still very simplistic and there's lots of things I'd still love to do with it, but I wanted to "show and tell", and maybe even start to solicit feedback from potential users. You can find it at https://quartermaster.fyi.

In the interest of managing expectations, right now the main functionality is to input prices manually and then show them again later. This is still quite tedious. I'd love to be able to automatically pull in data from grocery chains, but I don't think I'll be able to convince them to give me their data without some number of actual users. Still, I personally find it useful, especially when I see a price on something and can't remember what other prices I've seen for that sort of thing in the past.

One part of it that's been confusing for other users is that products have measures (a jug of milk might contain one gallon), but sightings also can have measures for products that are not packaged (e.g. apples might be $0.99/pound).

If this project seems interesting to you, I'd love for you to login and try to use it a little bit. If it seems useful to you, please use it in good health. If not, what's missing? Any feedback you have about what would make it better is welcome (or even warnings about things that would make it worse). I still work on it actively, although like I said, slowly. The next feature I was thinking about adding is some kind of "grouping" or "categorization" mechanism, so it's easy to find prices for, say, all Coke products, or all sodas -- but I'm open to other ideas!

BikeFanatic

• Pencil Stache
Re: Quartermaster, a web-based "grocery price book"
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2021, 04:53:35 PM »
I added a product Teddy peanut butter. I was unable to add the price, the screen does not give me the option to add price on my chromebook.

dblaace

• Bristles
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2021, 05:10:17 PM »
A couple of things come to mind.

Incorporate product barcodes in the add and lookup. Helps maintain data integrity.

Prices are a moving target, I've seen the same item priced different in the same chain just based on location in the same area, might include zip code or some kind of location identifier.

ixtap

• Magnum Stache
    • Our Sea Story
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2021, 05:14:22 PM »
A couple of things come to mind.

Incorporate product barcodes in the add and lookup. Helps maintain data integrity.

Prices are a moving target, I've seen the same item priced different in the same chain just based on location in the same area, might include zip code or some kind of location identifier.

Around me, I have the additional problem of different locations not necessarily carrying the same brand, which can exasperate the price difference.

VividPixels

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2021, 09:15:10 PM »

This is why Quartermaster links prices to both product and "merchant", which is to say, individual store. I know this isn't perfectly clear from the interface yet -- building a nice onboarding experience is on my list, but I haven't gotten there yet!

Yes, barcodes would probably help, but I wasn't able to find a good (free) database of product codes -- if you know of one, please let me know!

I added a product Teddy peanut butter. I was unable to add the price, the screen does not give me the option to add price on my chromebook.

Was that on the "new sighting" function? In Quartermaster, a price doesn't relate directly to a product. Instead, you add a sighting, which records a price for a specific product at a specific time from a specific place.

Around me, I have the additional problem of different locations not necessarily carrying the same brand, which can exasperate the price difference.

I think for some consumers (but probably not the people on this forum) the brand difference matters, so I'm trying to get to a place where users can record prices for different brands and then search for the cheapest peanut butter if they don't care, or the cheapest [brand name] one if they do.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!