Author Topic: Realized that I am happier saving money than I am spending money  (Read 5422 times)

AdaBeansonFire

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
My husband and I have been mostly frugal throughout our lives but started bringing home a good sized chunk of money in the last few years. And so...the spending went up. We recently went on a "dream" trip to the UK. An anything goes trip...great hotels and meals out...no expense spared. And in spite of this luxury, all I could think about was how much more comfortable my bed at home was compared to the fancy hotel, how I liked my home cooked meals more than most of the restaurants and how I didn't appreciate my home city enough. It was a nice reset. Re-evaluated our lives, spending and are back on track again to FIRE. It is good to be grateful for what you already have. :)

undercover

• Pencil Stache
Re: Realized that I am happier saving money than I am spending money
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2016, 09:43:27 PM »
It's good to be able to enjoy the fruits of your labor, but also realize that things like travel are totally unnecessary to live a fulfilling life :)

I too, most of the time, would rather enjoy what I have than spend my time wanting for more. Wanting for more is a sure path to never being happy - while wanting what you have brings everlasting happiness. Plus, life is just incredibly simple when it comes down to it and not many places are actually that different - especially in today's hyper-connected world.

AdaBeansonFire

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2016, 09:52:59 PM »
Exactly! I came home, looked around and realized that I already have more than I need. Feels good to dial the lifestyle back and get our priorities straight. Also, re-focusing on our FIRE goals to deal with work stress rather than throwing money at our discontent.

Bateaux

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2016, 02:22:12 AM »
Spending now makes me depressed.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2016, 02:35:51 AM by Bateaux »

mathjak107

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2016, 04:14:23 AM »
there are 3 types of people .

those that love having money just to have it . for them it represents security,success , perhaps financial independence . they like making money more than spending money

the next type like money for the things it buys .  they enjoy spending money

the 3rd type  generally are the extremely successful ones . they already have all the money they need for saving and spending . for them it is the art of the deal . they love growing their business's , or hitting home runs in investing .  for them it is a mental thing . my old partner was like that . he loved real estate deals even though he died with almost a billion dollars . to him making these deals was his life .

marty998

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2016, 04:45:58 AM »
Saving money is like a crack habit for me. Addicted to it, always looking for the next fix.

LivlongnProsper

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
  • It's a new day, anything is possible.
« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2016, 08:19:01 AM »
For me money represents security, standing on my own two feet in a way. As I get closer to FI my anxiety level has been dropping when it comes to the unknown and current spending, especially because I know how small most things are compared to my monthly savings. I am also reminded of a quote from a great movie: "I like money".

undercover

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2016, 08:45:57 AM »
there are 3 types of people .

those that love having money just to have it . for them it represents security,success , perhaps financial independence . they like making money more than spending money

the next type like money for the things it buys .  they enjoy spending money

the 3rd type  generally are the extremely successful ones . they already have all the money they need for saving and spending . for them it is the art of the deal . they love growing their business's , or hitting home runs in investing .  for them it is a mental thing . my old partner was like that . he loved real estate deals even though he died with almost a billion dollars . to him making these deals was his life .

Fortunately, people aren't that black and white. I think people who love the art of the deal, growing businesses, and investing, can also enjoy what money can buy and also feel secure and successful. I mean, we all spend money to varying degrees. I don't think many here would give up housing or food - that's an ongoing expense. They'd probably agree that they love that money can buy housing and food without them having to build and maintain every aspect of their home or grow and make all of their own food.

FrugalFan

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2016, 09:09:31 AM »
Wow, I could have written this post, including just returning from a spendy trip to the UK. I feel much the same way. I think we could have been more frugal and cooked more, but DH was really enjoying eating out.

Exhale

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #9 on: August 10, 2016, 07:32:01 PM »
Exactly! I came home, looked around and realized that I already have more than I need. Feels good to dial the lifestyle back and get our priorities straight. Also, re-focusing on our FIRE goals to deal with work stress rather than throwing money at our discontent.

Love that phrase!

Mulligan

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #10 on: August 10, 2016, 08:12:17 PM »
Like Marty998, saving became a bit of a game to me, I tracked my annual progress and tried to save more than the previous year.  I only wish I did this in my twenties instead of my mid-forties.

TravelJunkyQC

• Bristles
« Reply #11 on: August 11, 2016, 08:02:09 AM »
+1 on the addiction-comment and the game comment. Same for me. It's a game against myself, either way, I'm winning and losing at the same time. But I love it. Spending money makes me uncomfortable.

TheAnonOne

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #12 on: August 11, 2016, 09:08:40 AM »
I think travel is the only thing I really LIKE spending money on... everything else I just feel the poorness trying to grab me.

TravelJunkyQC

• Bristles
« Reply #13 on: August 11, 2016, 09:44:40 AM »
I think travel is the only thing I really LIKE spending money on... everything else I just feel the poorness trying to grab me.
As my name suggests, same here. Although I deal-hunt like a fiend when traveling.

TheAnonOne

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #14 on: August 11, 2016, 10:19:52 AM »
As my name suggests, same here. Although I deal-hunt like a fiend when traveling.

We churn credit cards pretty often, so other than the non-waived annual fees we travel the world 1-2 times a year for hardly anything. Other than food and stuff when going out.

Slee_stack

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #15 on: August 11, 2016, 01:12:37 PM »
I tend to not like spending money, but I do tend to enjoy it on when I spend on activities or things that allow me to do activities.

ie sporting goods that I use, memberships that allow me to partake in sports, materials that allow me to perform a hobby (or repair), etc.

Cap_Scarlet

• Bristles
    • EarlyRetireFree
« Reply #16 on: August 11, 2016, 03:37:58 PM »
I went out to dinner this evening and spent $200 on dinner for 4.

It was a nice dinner but I thought "that's at least two weeks food and drink shopping"!

Fearthebait

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #17 on: August 13, 2016, 03:47:24 AM »
For the last ~3 years that I have had a stable job, saving and investing money have made me feel so good. I just recently found this website which has made me just throw my fist in the air everytime I put more into Vanguard or my TSP and cheer. I love it.

mozar

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #18 on: August 13, 2016, 09:03:30 PM »
everything else I just feel the poorness trying to grab me.

That's deep.

After my next paycheck I will be hitting a huge financial milestone. It feels incredible.

MoneyCat

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #19 on: August 14, 2016, 08:00:36 AM »
I recently got back from an anniversary vacation to Hawaii and while we did some amazing things -- like seeing Mick Fleetwood perform with his blues band at his 150 seat restaurant with special guest Sammy Hagar -- when I got back home I was floored by how much I spent on this trip. I don't know if I would do it again because it cost about a month's worth of wages. I actually feel a little sick to my stomach thinking about it now.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk