Author Topic: Rant Time: I hate my job because .....  (Read 39143 times)

Silverado

• Stubble
Re: Rant Time: I hate my job because .....
« Reply #150 on: March 21, 2018, 04:19:50 PM »
There is a constant, never ending sexism in my job.  I am in an industry where it is 95% men and even fewer female leaders.  I usually don’t give a shit and rely on simply being competent and consistent to carry me.  I don’t discuss it, I don’t shove it up people’s noses, and I never EVER bring it up.  I have zero interest in carrying a banner or wearing a pussy hat.

But it happens every day.  Just minutes ago on a call of 15 leaders -I was the only female- a request was made for a “safety moment” and I volunteered mine.  (Safety moments should be on the list of things to hate about the job all on their own, they have become banal and repetitive.)

I offered that over the weekend I had rebuilt the carburetor on my lawn mower.  My cautionary note was to be consciencious about disposal of oily rags, whether from some task like this or if folks are out staining their deck this summer.  Be deliberate and careful about disposal to assure no spontaneous combustion happens; let the rags air out and use non-flammable disposal containers.

Well of course I got the, “I am so IMPRESSED that you can rebuild a carburetor, Nancy!” from my boss who was on the call.  I immediately thought that if one of the guys on the call offered up the same share that statement would never have been made.  I just brushed it off and said, “Yep, more than just a pretty face.”  Sigh. 

I have a fucking mechanical engineering degree and have been working in heavy industry for 15 years.  But I am still a girl in the eyes of the southern gentleman who is my boss. 

I will never make a thing about this and will never mention it.  That is the job, that is my industry, and I knew that when I joined.  And it will be something I am glad to step away from.

I wasn't with you until you said what you actually did for a living. At my software engineering job if someone said they managed to lower the blades on their lawnmower to get a different length grass I'd be surprised - man or woman. But in the context of a heavy machinery industry and mechanical engineering degree... that does seem like sexism is in there. Hopefully, you have some good ones there too! I've found that having male coworkers who respect my knowledge and worth keeps me ready and willing to stand up for myself with those who do not respect me.

I found it is never wise to stand up for myself in these instances.  That is a fast track to the bottom of the blacklist that absolutely exists.  I once had the honor of sitting in a feedback session with a retired director in a former company and he spilled the beans about how the executives absolutely kept track of who the female troublemakers were.  Absolutely it was held angainst them if they dared notice any different treatment.  They were described as whiny, high-maintenance, and litigious.  And not promotable.  This is exceedingly hard to fix in an industrial career dominated by men and I am not going to constantly feel like I have to shout “I am not your token woman!”

So I eat the shit sandwich.  No, it is not right and it is not fair but that is the fact.  There are men who respect me for sure, possibly partly because I refuse to make a thing out of anything. 

To clarify, if I was being sexually harrassed I would not be saying that, for sure.  But these stupid little and persistent slights?  Nope, so not worth it.  I am not paving any roads for the next bright woman, I would only be shackling my own ankles.  It is not a hill I will die on— my goal is to make as much money as I possibly can in the shortest amount of time I can and GTFO.

I think your original response about a pretty face was poor and sends the wrong message. Why make a sexist comment? Why not simply say 'yeah, I hadn't done one in quite some time, but it came back quick.'

MissNancyPryor

• Bristles
  • The Stewardess is Flying the Plane!
« Reply #151 on: March 21, 2018, 05:51:42 PM »
It was ironic. 

thriftyc

• Bristles
« Reply #152 on: March 21, 2018, 08:01:39 PM »
My boss has almost no leadership competency.

Schaefer Light

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #153 on: March 22, 2018, 07:23:38 AM »
Middle fucking management. Need I say more?

Nope.  I feel your pain.  It seems that no matter what you do, you're either going to piss off those above you or those who report to you.

marielle

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #154 on: March 22, 2018, 07:54:03 AM »
Bouncing off the earlier post about sexism.

I work in the middle of nowhere in the south and I notice little things like this constantly. Sometimes it's fairly innocent things, like a man refusing to walk through a door first (even if I'm holding the door, but that's rare).

Other stuff is...ugh. Comments from the electrician saying that it must be hard for men to work around me.

Comments from a coworker, "If I wasn't married I'd ask you out." This was said in front of his son-in-law who is MY AGE. Same coworker kissed my hand once at work, I thought he was going for a handshake...
I ignored him as much as possible, barely responding to him smiling and waving at me outside of my office. Ugh.

One time I was coordinating the shipment of some equipment with a couple contractors. I made a minor mistake and misspoke about where some equipment needs to ship to and admitted I was wrong. One guy made a huge deal of it and joked about women never admitting they're wrong and wanting it "in writing" that I admitted I was wrong.

I stopped bringing up anything unusual like working on my car. I really could do without the, "Wow, you work on your car!?" comments.

Silverado

• Stubble
« Reply #155 on: March 22, 2018, 04:53:35 PM »
Bouncing off the earlier post about sexism.

I work in the middle of nowhere in the south and I notice little things like this constantly. Sometimes it's fairly innocent things, like a man refusing to walk through a door first (even if I'm holding the door, but that's rare).

Other stuff is...ugh. Comments from the electrician saying that it must be hard for men to work around me.

Comments from a coworker, "If I wasn't married I'd ask you out." This was said in front of his son-in-law who is MY AGE. Same coworker kissed my hand once at work, I thought he was going for a handshake...
I ignored him as much as possible, barely responding to him smiling and waving at me outside of my office. Ugh.

One time I was coordinating the shipment of some equipment with a couple contractors. I made a minor mistake and misspoke about where some equipment needs to ship to and admitted I was wrong. One guy made a huge deal of it and joked about women never admitting they're wrong and wanting it "in writing" that I admitted I was wrong.

I stopped bringing up anything unusual like working on my car. I really could do without the, "Wow, you work on your car!?" comments.

I think I hate your job for you. That's some crazy stuff.

Gone_Hiking

• Stubble
« Reply #156 on: March 22, 2018, 08:50:56 PM »

Well of course I got the, “I am so IMPRESSED that you can rebuild a carburetor, Nancy!” from my boss who was on the call.  I immediately thought that if one of the guys on the call offered up the same share that statement would never have been made.  I just brushed it off and said, “Yep, more than just a pretty face.”  Sigh. 

To add to this collection...

Almost exactly to the day seven years ago.  My boss is a smart-ass academic who doesn't mind to let you know he is waaay smarter than you.  I walk into his office to deliver my two-week notice.

"I have some news" I say
"You're pregnant?" and then he turns his face back to his computer monitor.
"No, I will be leaving this institution"
"What?!" his head turns around so violently it almost snaps off.

Served the SOB right.  I didn't even have to mention that 70% raise.

MrMoneyMullet

• Stubble
  • Spending in the front, savings in the back.
« Reply #157 on: March 22, 2018, 08:51:37 PM »
It's all moot now because I put in my noticed last week and Friday is my last day.

CONGRATS!!! Did you post an update in your "Really Thinking About Quitting My Job" (or something like that) thread?? I looked through your recent post history but didn't see it. You should post an update if you haven't already!!

jax8

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #158 on: March 23, 2018, 09:20:50 AM »
My 10 days of PTO per year isn't enough, especially since I got the death-flu-that-turned-to-pneumonia-and-a-hospital-stay back in January.  I had to cash in 5 days of PTO before the short-term disability pay kicked in (at 40% income, mind you) so I have a measly 5 days to get me through the rest of the year.  Get sick, have a vacation, or take the kids to the dentist! Choose wisely with those 5 days, sukka!!!!!

As a result, I can't take next Thursday off to go to my daughter's dance competition.  My husband, with his seemingly bottomless 5 weeks PTO package, has to go instead.  The whole family is unhappy with this arrangement.

Here's hoping he can manage to put her hair in a bun!  Take lots of pictures to send to me as I sit at my desk!

Miss Piggy

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #159 on: March 23, 2018, 09:59:14 AM »
Middle fucking management. Need I say more?

Nope.  I feel your pain.  It seems that no matter what you do, you're either going to piss off those above you or those who report to you.

Ha. I see what you did there.

Miss Piggy

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #160 on: March 23, 2018, 10:01:42 AM »
My 10 days of PTO per year isn't enough, especially since I got the death-flu-that-turned-to-pneumonia-and-a-hospital-stay back in January.  I had to cash in 5 days of PTO before the short-term disability pay kicked in (at 40% income, mind you) so I have a measly 5 days to get me through the rest of the year.  Get sick, have a vacation, or take the kids to the dentist! Choose wisely with those 5 days, sukka!!!!!

As a result, I can't take next Thursday off to go to my daughter's dance competition.  My husband, with his seemingly bottomless 5 weeks PTO package, has to go instead.  The whole family is unhappy with this arrangement.

Here's hoping he can manage to put her hair in a bun!  Take lots of pictures to send to me as I sit at my desk!

That just plain sucks. 10 days is inhumane if that also includes sick time. That's ridiculous in this day and age. You have my sympathy.

Can you take some unpaid time off if needed/wanted?

MissNancyPryor

• Bristles
« Reply #161 on: March 23, 2018, 10:29:42 AM »
Scratchy, echo-y, poorly connected conference calls.  People not putting themselves on mute when not speaking and hearing them apparently remodel their office while on the call.  No amount if reminders helps.

Safety moments.  People talking over each other.

Invalid conference I.D. numbers.  Skype, WebEx, Bell, all are bad. 

Video not working.  People chiming and beeping in and out as they come late to the call or drop off. 

People talking while on mute (but they are switching to Geico!).

jax8

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #162 on: March 23, 2018, 10:38:50 AM »

That just plain sucks. 10 days is inhumane if that also includes sick time. That's ridiculous in this day and age. You have my sympathy.

I'm allowed u p to 2 weeks unpaid time off.  I'm hesitant to use it, in case more health problems come up.

Miss Piggy

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #163 on: March 23, 2018, 10:55:19 AM »
Scratchy, echo-y, poorly connected conference calls.  People not putting themselves on mute when not speaking and hearing them apparently remodel their office while on the call.  No amount if reminders helps.

Video not working.  People chiming and beeping in and out as they come late to the call or drop off. 

You may appreciate this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kNz82r5nyUw

(If you're cyber-paranoid like I am and don't want to click the link, go to YouTube and search for "A Conference Call in Real Life")

Miss Piggy

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #164 on: March 23, 2018, 10:56:27 AM »

I'm allowed u p to 2 weeks unpaid time off.  I'm hesitant to use it, in case more health problems come up.

I get it. I would be saving up that UTO time just in case as well.

I work with a woman who uses up ALL EIGHT DAYS of her sick time for the year, every year, in January & February on random, non-sick "I just wanted to take the day off" crap. (She does this instead of using her PTO days because she uses those for actual, planned PTO.) And here's the kicker: We are allowed to bank and carry over our sick time indefinitely, with no time limit or days accumulated limit. I mean, I hope she never gets cancer or anything major like that, but it will be hard to have much sympathy for her from a "time off" perspective if that happens.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2018, 11:02:22 AM by Miss Piggy »

Schaefer Light

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #165 on: March 23, 2018, 12:47:49 PM »

I hate conference calls.  Especially calls with large groups of people.  The worst part is the initial roll call.  "Who's on the line?"...followed by 5 minutes of people speaking over one another as they try to introduce themselves.

mm1970

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #166 on: March 23, 2018, 12:59:50 PM »

I found it is never wise to stand up for myself in these instances.  That is a fast track to the bottom of the blacklist that absolutely exists.  I once had the honor of sitting in a feedback session with a retired director in a former company and he spilled the beans about how the executives absolutely kept track of who the female troublemakers were.  Absolutely it was held angainst them if they dared notice any different treatment.  They were described as whiny, high-maintenance, and litigious.  And not promotable.  This is exceedingly hard to fix in an industrial career dominated by men and I am not going to constantly feel like I have to shout “I am not your token woman!”

So I eat the shit sandwich.  No, it is not right and it is not fair but that is the fact.  There are men who respect me for sure, possibly partly because I refuse to make a thing out of anything. 

To clarify, if I was being sexually harrassed I would not be saying that, for sure.  But these stupid little and persistent slights?  Nope, so not worth it.  I am not paving any roads for the next bright woman, I would only be shackling my own ankles.  It is not a hill I will die on— my goal is to make as much money as I possibly can in the shortest amount of time I can and GTFO.

I can relate.  While it's not QUITE as bad where I am (semiconductors), there are few women in my company, none in my building, and none at Director level or above.  Anymore. There was one, once.  She got laid off.  From what I can tell, she was "abrasive", which got the men promoted.

Anyway, I'm turning 48 this year, and this stuff gets old.  I simply have tried, lately, to move myself into the kind of positions where I don't have to deal with too much of the BS.  As far as "paving the way" goes.  Well, I'm almost 48 and I'm still here.  That has to be good enough.

RidetheRain

• Bristles
« Reply #167 on: March 23, 2018, 04:44:22 PM »
Today I hate my job because my building is infested. Is it legal to require people to go to work in a building with roaches? I feel like it shouldn't be.

Gone_Hiking

• Stubble
« Reply #168 on: March 23, 2018, 06:16:47 PM »
No PTO rollover.  But today I walked into the office for the last time, handled last-minute challenges, answered questions form the panicked team, then I shut down the computer, let my coworker swipe my monitors (nice monitors, these; I got them last year from someone who was retiring), walked into HR and handed in my badge, and left the place for good.  Monday starts the next chapter of work life.  Yippee!

@jax8 - two weeks of PTO?  I'm sorry to hear this.  Does your employer offer paid holidays?

Mesmoiselle

• Bristles
« Reply #169 on: March 23, 2018, 07:33:56 PM »
- It literally physically injures me. I am finishing my second stint of physical therapy inside the same year next week. More than one exam per hour injures your workers, but watch them try to cram 2-4 per hour.
- Ultrasound is completely unlike every other imaging modality. If I, yes I, the tech doesn't recognize what's wrong with you the doctor won't either. No, the computer doesn't do the work. It's essentially just a tool that lets me look inside you so my brain is what does the work. Which means if something is difficult to see, or confusing, only time with you is going to resolve it.
- But our leads/managers, who are never ultrasound trained themselves, don't understand or care why we're backed up and still try to cram more exams in our schedule.
- Cover your ass healthcare. If I actually thought that my patient needed the exam they were getting, Mr. doctor, I'd feel a lot better about my job. But since I'm doing a venous doppler because their toe hurts and they have +D dimer (which can be elevated for over 100 reasons), I'm going to assume this is a bull shit exam that I don't want to waste the inflaming of the arthritis in my shoulder over. not allowed to say no though.
- I could go to school, grab my bachelors, to get into teaching, but wouldn't wish this job on any of my hypothethical students the way healthcare system ignores the differences and needs of this modality.
- Department meetings? ha! Ultrasound is never at Department Meetings, we're too busy, and the leads/manages don't care. They don't want to talk to us anyway and they will never ever clear time on our schedule so we can go. But they'll expect you to send receipt that you've read the minutes later.
-Someone who wasn't my boss (random floor doctor) okayed my overtime the last shift I worked to perform a routine exam on an inpatient. Of course it was negative.
Like some others have said up stream, I just want to internet, write, draw, play video games, cook from scratch and live my life. A job pays for your life, it'll never be your life. And I just want to do my time and get out before the injuries pile up to where I can't even go g-darn scuba diving.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2018, 07:39:03 PM by Mesmoiselle »

MissNancyPryor

• Bristles
« Reply #170 on: March 23, 2018, 08:12:06 PM »

I can relate.  While it's not QUITE as bad where I am (semiconductors), there are few women in my company, none in my building, and none at Director level or above.  Anymore. There was one, once.  She got laid off.  From what I can tell, she was "abrasive", which got the men promoted.

Anyway, I'm turning 48 this year, and this stuff gets old.  I simply have tried, lately, to move myself into the kind of positions where I don't have to deal with too much of the BS.  As far as "paving the way" goes.  Well, I'm almost 48 and I'm still here.  That has to be good enough.

Werd.  Exactly with you on that.  The word for abrasive men is "CEO" and they are considered visionaries and tough-minded geniuses.  The ladies are harpies and "don't get along well" with others.  Whatevs.       

Mesmoiselle

• Bristles
« Reply #171 on: March 24, 2018, 09:37:38 AM »
.... I'm a veterinarian in an area where people don't really take care of their pets. Every day, I witness obvious cases of neglect and abuse. Any animal that may require more than minimal diagnostics/treatment typically ends up with the owner requesting euthanasia. We see cases that should have been seen at the emergency clinic, but the owners don't want to spend the money there so they let the animals suffer until we open. It's awful.

I'm sorry about this. I wanted to reach out and say I empathize. I wanted to be a vet from age 9-18 until I had a rotation through a Vet Clinic for a week. A lady brought in a stray cat that she'd been playing with for like a month, except it got a little excited during the most recent play session and bit her. She was concerned about rabies and she was not interested in going through the Observation period, demanding the cat be tested immediately. We both know what that means.

My desire to be a vet died that day. I knew to become one was to actually service "humanity's posessions" rather than the actual animals I loved and wanted to "help".

fuzzy math

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #172 on: March 24, 2018, 10:30:35 AM »

- But our leads/managers, who are never ultrasound trained themselves, don't understand or care why we're backed up and still try to cram more exams in our schedule.

- Department meetings? ha! Ultrasound is never at Department Meetings, we're too busy, and the leads/manages don't care. They don't want to talk to us anyway and they will never ever clear time on our schedule so we can go. But they'll expect you to send receipt that you've read the minutes later.

Like some others have said up stream, I just want to internet, write, draw, play video games, cook from scratch and live my life. A job pays for your life, it'll never be your life. And I just want to do my time and get out before the injuries pile up to where I can't even go g-darn scuba diving.

I frequently wonder if hospital administrators were born without a soul

And YES to those retirement plans!

exit2019

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #173 on: March 25, 2018, 10:27:01 AM »
I work in a leadership position as an individual contributor who is matrixed over to help other projects.  This is the result of a series of career decisions where I ended up being fairly well known as a software engineer who can fix broken, disaster projects.  "Fix" here actually meaning "get them to the point where they won't totally embarrass the company when they ship."

With the exception of a 4 year experiment where I tried to do something I enjoyed instead, during which my income reversed quite badly (essentially I ended up making < 20% of my previous salary and found myself dipping into savings), I've spent the last 14 years as the software engineering equivalent of a sewer diver: each job pretty much has been more pathetic and awful than the last.  Things were bad enough in 2005 before the devops/agile thing allowed the below-par developers to expand their scope to other, entirely new areas where they could leverage their incompetence to make things worse at scale.

Right now I'm dealing with three projects simultaneously that are some of the worst garbage code and design I've ever seen and I've seen some terrible crap.  One of the teams is run by a hack fraud that basically used a six month stint at a brand name (six months being how long it took them to figure him out and put him on the chipping block) to come back to my current organization as a principal lead because the executive that hired him only looked at the brand name on the powerpoint and didn't ask any questions.

On top of the frauds and the inherent shitshow nature of diving into cesspool projects to try and make them at least passively shippable, this role inevitably involves a ton of politics.  Politics beyond politics.  Small politics in the engineering teams, ego politics of the executives aboe, etc. 

The truth is I got soft and weak in my 4 year break from this stuff so this time around is doubly hateful as I'm both having to take my knives out of storage and re-sharpen them.  This is causing me to lose the self-respect I gained back by being utterly free and unengaged in politics for those four years.

greengardens

• Stubble
« Reply #174 on: March 25, 2018, 04:29:24 PM »
Last week on the job and the transition period has only solidified why I’m leaving. Want me to finish up as much as I can but no desire to take anything off my plate that would allow me to close up more files. No real desire to sit down and actually transition client files. The secrecy surrounding everything and the drama.  My last day is going to be a cluster and within a week of me leaving they will likely be cursing me. -sigh-

marielle

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #175 on: March 26, 2018, 06:05:18 AM »
I can't believe I almost forgot this, but the office had no heat almost the entire winter. The day it got fixed, which was a few weeks ago, we actually started using the air conditioning. It ended up getting cold again so it wasn't all for nothing this season but still... a day late and a dollar short.

We had some heat with the use of propane heaters for a couple months (thankfully the building is very drafty and open) and a temporary diesel heater for a month. It would routinely be in the low 50s in the morning when I came in and generally didn't get above 65 with the propane heaters. The diesel heater would get the office pretty warm, but we were constantly running out of diesel so it was a hit or miss.

From my understanding it all boiled down to politics and trying to get the landlord to pay for it, instead of just fixing it asap. All I have to say is thank god for electric blankets.

Apple_Tango

• Bristles
« Reply #176 on: March 26, 2018, 10:39:39 AM »

Working in healthcare in America is terrible. Why is it that every person who is actually performing the bulk of patient care (nurses, assistants, techs, therapists, etc) has almost the same story as you? It’s because the middle and upper management teams just try to squeeze and squeeze until our heads pop off and then they can replace us with someone right out of school that they don’t have to pay as much. Sometimes I literally think they hate their employees *because* they have to pay us. How dare we ask to be fairly compensated for getting puked on, yelled at, and abused every day. And I don’t get to go to team meetings either. I guess I’m not part of the team?

Monkey Uncle

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #177 on: March 26, 2018, 06:19:04 PM »

Working in healthcare in America is terrible. Why is it that every person who is actually performing the bulk of patient care (nurses, assistants, techs, therapists, etc) has almost the same story as you? It’s because the middle and upper management teams just try to squeeze and squeeze until our heads pop off and then they can replace us with someone right out of school that they don’t have to pay as much. Sometimes I literally think they hate their employees *because* they have to pay us. How dare we ask to be fairly compensated for getting puked on, yelled at, and abused every day. And I don’t get to go to team meetings either. I guess I’m not part of the team?

...and yet healthcare in America is insanely expensive, even though the people who spend the most time with patients are working for peanuts.  I guess upper management really takes the "pay yourself first" slogan to heart.

albireo13

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #178 on: March 27, 2018, 06:20:26 AM »

...and yet healthcare in America is insanely expensive, even though the people who spend the most time with patients are working for peanuts.  I guess upper management really takes the "pay yourself first" slogan to heart.

Yup.  Healthcare is more more about making money.  Hospitals are businesses with CEOs making $$$$ an getting bonuses.
Hospital management spends more energy and resources on trying to bust the nurses union than on providing actual quality health care.

Schaefer Light

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #179 on: March 27, 2018, 06:34:46 AM »
I can't believe I almost forgot this, but the office had no heat almost the entire winter.

That's pretty bad.  Where I work, I think people would refuse to come to the office if there was no heat.

historian

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #180 on: March 27, 2018, 10:03:28 AM »
The usual middle management stuff.

I'm actively looking.  I'm hoping to get an offer here soon.
My Boss' boss has me in his sights.  I'm just ready to leave.  I'm mentally exhausted every time from worrying that some other minor thing from years ago will crop up.

jax8

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #181 on: March 27, 2018, 11:59:29 AM »
No PTO rollover.  But today I walked into the office for the last time, handled last-minute challenges, answered questions form the panicked team, then I shut down the computer, let my coworker swipe my monitors (nice monitors, these; I got them last year from someone who was retiring), walked into HR and handed in my badge, and left the place for good.  Monday starts the next chapter of work life.  Yippee!

@jax8 - two weeks of PTO?  I'm sorry to hear this.  Does your employer offer paid holidays?

I do have paid holidays, and many times they give us 2 days off for each holiday, like Thanksgiving + Black Friday, or Christmas Eve + Christmas.  I never have to work a holiday because the entire company is closed, so it really is a holiday.

Some days I feel like I should start a "I LIKE MY JOB BECAUSE..." thread.  Other days I'm like, UGH I CAN'T EVEN.  But I can't complain about the my company and holiday pay.  They are generous there.

sui generis

• Magnum Stache
  • she/her
« Reply #182 on: March 27, 2018, 12:11:35 PM »
I hate the cult-like optimism and how everything is always great and everyone we work with is SO great!  You really can't be honest about anything here.  You can only say things are great and you love it.

It's weird - it should be....great... that they care so much about how their employees are doing, making the Fortune 100 list of best places to work, having active mentors and sponsors for everyone, regular updates from the chairperson and social events...but it doesn't end up allowing freedom to speak about challenging things.  Only more opportunities to talk about how great it is here and how great everyone is to work with.

I unfortunately had bought into this hype and switched jobs last summer from an employer than no one would ever say was great, at all.  I took a loss on salary and that year's bonus in the hopes that I would like working/my job if I had a good environment.  So I lost some money, but my boyfriend tells me without that I would never have been confident enough to FIRE next year if I hadn't done this.  I would always suspect there is some better job out there.  Now I know there is not.  But I have at least 325 more days here and I really hate that thought.

eljefe-speaks

• Bristles
« Reply #183 on: March 28, 2018, 08:37:56 AM »

At my work, the host will always begin the call by repeating, "Please do not put your line on hold." Five minutes later somebody puts his phone on hold and our terrible, loud hold music is introduced to the call. All lines must be muted. Then folks forget to unmute themselves before speaking. I feel your pain on the conference calls.

Edit to contribute to the thread:

I hate my job because it is never satisfying. I feel satisfied after I mow the lawn, just to look at the nicely mowed grass. My job doesn't have anything like that. Ever. It's just a joyless slog day in and day out. I don't have any relationships at work. I don't fit in. My cube has high walls and it feels like solitary confinement.  My boss is a very bad communicator and absolutely never provides any type of positive feedback. He also once said that the line-backers in the SEC can run faster than the wide-receivers in the Big Ten. This is the man I have to deal with every day.

I am loving this topic. It helps to know I am not alone.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2018, 08:49:26 AM by eljefe-speaks »

jpompo

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #184 on: March 28, 2018, 09:36:24 AM »
He also once said that the line-backers in the SEC can run faster than the wide-receivers in the Big Ten. This is the man I have to deal with every day.

I would quit on the spot.