Author Topic: Rant Time: I hate my job because .....  (Read 39169 times)

Gone_Hiking

• Stubble
Re: Rant Time: I hate my job because .....
« Reply #100 on: March 11, 2018, 06:52:45 PM »
Thread resurrect for 2018!  Who is playing?

I'll start.  I gave notice earlier this week at my cheap disorganized workplace after a much nicer assignment landed in my lap.  Chaos ensued, oh, poor us, what are we going to do, Gone_Hiking is leaving, woe is us!  Half expecting a funeral wreath on my desk next week with all the eulogizing going on.  I hear the company might be hiring two replacements.  Good, it should cost them.

Who's next?

TartanTallulah

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #101 on: March 12, 2018, 02:29:55 AM »
I give thanks every time I close down my computer at the end of a work day and think, "I didn't hate today." It's an occasional rather than regular occurrence. Most days I'm submerged because the demand is intrinsically infinite (public service, health). Last week I worked five consecutive days of more than 12 hours without a break. Meals are coffee and cookies eaten with one hand while typing with the other. Exercise? Mwahahahahahah.

I have three same-level colleagues, not bad people, but one isn't very bright and likes the sound of their own loud voice and stirring up conflict, one is workshy, petulant and prone to turning on the tears, and the other has had enough and is slapdash. I have the ear of management at the moment, but I know I could flip from golden child to scapegoat on the turn of one decision. Ugh. Other linked professionals grumble at me because I can't engage with their priorities, and I appreciate that they are under pressure too, but I have no spare capacity.

The pay would be enough if I enjoyed the job, but it's been cut in real terms over the years with sub-inflation increases, freezes, and erosion of benefits and isn't brilliant.

And then there's the thing about wanting to be outside instead.

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #102 on: March 12, 2018, 03:55:22 AM »
I give thanks every time I close down my computer at the end of a work day and think, "I didn't hate today." It's an occasional rather than regular occurrence. Most days I'm submerged because the demand is intrinsically infinite (public service, health). Last week I worked five consecutive days of more than 12 hours without a break. Meals are coffee and cookies eaten with one hand while typing with the other. Exercise? Mwahahahahahah.

I have three same-level colleagues, not bad people, but one isn't very bright and likes the sound of their own loud voice and stirring up conflict, one is workshy, petulant and prone to turning on the tears, and the other has had enough and is slapdash. I have the ear of management at the moment, but I know I could flip from golden child to scapegoat on the turn of one decision. Ugh. Other linked professionals grumble at me because I can't engage with their priorities, and I appreciate that they are under pressure too, but I have no spare capacity.

The pay would be enough if I enjoyed the job, but it's been cut in real terms over the years with sub-inflation increases, freezes, and erosion of benefits and isn't brilliant.

It sounds really terrible. Looking at the footer of your post, you have a year and 2 months left until FIRE. It is copable until then, or will your health deteriorate staying there? Have you considered working somewhere else for the remaining year?

brookebcollin

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #103 on: March 12, 2018, 05:38:55 AM »
I just applied the leave application today.
Because of
- Less-qualified colleagues that drives me crazy a lot of time
- Complicated procedurements that always slows my tasks
- Late salary every month
And more :(

TartanTallulah

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #104 on: March 12, 2018, 05:46:45 AM »

It sounds really terrible. Looking at the footer of your post, you have a year and 2 months left until FIRE. It is copable until then, or will your health deteriorate staying there? Have you considered working somewhere else for the remaining year?

Thanks :-) My planned retirement date is 31st March 2019 and I'm hoping to last till then. There are privileges where I work - I've earned the confidence of the staff and service users over time, I know I'm good at the fundamental aspects of the job, and my colleagues are by no means the hardest personalities I've ever had to work with. If I met them outside sharing a pressurised work environment, I'd like them all a lot as human beings.

Not every day feels like eating cockroaches and not every week is as bad as last week. And I do get weekends off and have eight weeks of leave to take in the next 12 months.

#channellingstoicism

FreshPrincess

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #105 on: March 12, 2018, 06:36:42 AM »
I am the breadwinner and we don't have our FU stash built up enough for us to keep the same pace to FI. Truth be told I love my job.  HOWEVER...

I'd love the freedom to negotiate my travel.  It seems many in this position feel it's "necessary" to the job, but I'm not convinced.  And I'd love to be able to be in a position to say "I don't plan to travel at all this year and that needs to be okay with you."  I'd even take a pay cut to make it happen.

Someday... and on that day?  It will be really hard to ever leave this job as long as it STAYS this job.  You know, corporate reorgs and all are always a risk :)

asauer

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #106 on: March 12, 2018, 06:40:09 AM »
Thanks for this thread- so nice to know I'm not alone.  There are parts of my job that I really do enjoy.  When I get to coach employees and lead training classes.  I love when an employee can take something useful away that helps them.  That is basically what the job was supposed to be when I joined 14 months ago.  Unfortunately, due to some epic leadership fuck ups, I'm now 70% sources to organizational design (fixing organizational structure and change issues- good times, let me tell you).  Which I can do but I hate.  But, I make north of 100k, get to work at home 1-2 days/ week and get 3 lunches per week reimbursed, so I stay.  Here's the thing, having worked in this field for 20 years, I know it won't be different anywhere else.  That's the hell of it.

2Birds1Stone

• Walrus Stache
  • K Thnx Bye
« Reply #107 on: March 12, 2018, 07:17:42 AM »
I have a love-hate relationship with my job.

I like the people for the most part, the work can be interesting and financially rewarding.

The stress and pressure due to the nature of the work (sales) can get to your head after a while, and emotionally it can be a roller coaster. Having things go south due to things being out of your control (often the case), takes thick skin and the ability to see the silver lining in things.

Ideally I would love a high paying 20-30 hour a week job where I can apply my interpersonal/sales/presentation skills, while having more time for the things I love to do outside of work.......

big_slacker

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #108 on: March 12, 2018, 07:20:50 AM »
I don't hate my job at all. Great company, great salary, impactful work. One thing I don't like though is the office culture. We're a tech company but they want people in the office all the time. :(

MissNancyPryor

• Bristles
  • The Stewardess is Flying the Plane!
« Reply #109 on: March 12, 2018, 07:24:17 AM »
Monday after the time change is a beeyaatch.  This would be on the list of things I hate about work! 

dougules

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #110 on: March 12, 2018, 10:53:00 AM »
Unrealistic schedules.  Everything is an emergency.  It's lead to pretty bad turnover, and it also does an injustice to projects that really should get some rush priority. 

ScreamingHeadGuy

• Bristles
« Reply #111 on: March 12, 2018, 03:04:52 PM »
I was asked to help staff in Office A pick up the slack on a project when the employees from Office B left (maybe they all FIREd at the same time?). 

Because Office A is swamped they farmed out the QC (quality control) review of said project to Office C. 

Office C is swamped, too, and, because my boss really loves to whore out my time to other offices when I already have a full schedule with my own projects, she told Office C I would be available to help them out, too.

Office C has now asked me to assist them by doing the QC on the project I helped Office A with.  There is no emoji to capture what I feel now.

LPG

• Stubble
    • 1000x Faster Blog
« Reply #112 on: March 12, 2018, 05:49:33 PM »
I'll join in...

I've automated 75% of my job, and have managed to make the rest look easy by actually planning out projects (I seem to be the only one in the office who does that). The job takes me ~5 hr/wk, despite being here for the full 40. I've been pro-active enough to take online classes, use the time to write a book, spend a lot of it simply socializing with co-workers, etc to make the best of the situation, but I'm seriously itching to find something more engaging and fulfilling. We'll see how much longer I'm here.

2Birds1Stone

• Walrus Stache
  • K Thnx Bye
« Reply #113 on: March 12, 2018, 06:00:51 PM »
I'll join in...

I've automated 75% of my job, and have managed to make the rest look easy by actually planning out projects (I seem to be the only one in the office who does that). The job takes me ~5 hr/wk, despite being here for the full 40. I've been pro-active enough to take online classes, use the time to write a book, spend a lot of it simply socializing with co-workers, etc to make the best of the situation, but I'm seriously itching to find something more engaging and fulfilling. We'll see how much longer I'm here.

That is wonderful lol!

Gone_Hiking

• Stubble
« Reply #114 on: March 12, 2018, 08:14:02 PM »
I just applied the leave application today.
Because of
- Late salary every month
And more :(

Seriously, they are late with payroll?  WTF?  I thought unknown number of company holidays at my place was bad enough; late payroll shows either shady deals or ineptitutde.  Aren't there laws against such things?

robtown

• Stubble
« Reply #115 on: March 12, 2018, 08:41:17 PM »
I'm old, getting older, and missing time, energy, and access to sunshine.   

Trough December last year for my old company:

• few bonuses
  • overwhelming required, not relevant training  e.g. export/import modules up  5x from the previous years
  • 6 month and annual job reviews that were meaningless and tedious paper exercises,  most goals were OBE
  • pushed out or denied real training
  • long, time sensitive commutes with parking 10 minute walk
  • underutilized,  completed work not fielded,  unrealistic products
  • set to work on products with no requirements, no goals, no schedule, no resources, no feedback (except occasional verbal ambushes)

Since December with new small company:

• 10 - 15 minute commute
  • chance of cycle commute come warmer weather and return to fitness
  • small company, very few BS tasks or almost no paperwork
  • decent increase in salary
  • no benefits except 401k and vacation  (wife provides benefits) but this is great -- benefits got paid out as more $$$

The only surprise is I was introduced as the new 'Tester.'   Although I have some test experience I've been a programmer  for most of 35 years.  The new work includes writing automated tests, i.e. programming,  so it's not that bad.    It's just that I'm tired and ready for some free time and a chance to sleep in, or do whatever I want with my time.[/list]

Haimons Mustache

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #116 on: March 13, 2018, 04:49:29 AM »
My boss' daddy owned the small company our large company bought out, so he's naturally in a VP position. He's a caricature of all the bad things that come with that.

Unique User

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #117 on: March 13, 2018, 06:32:05 AM »
The impossibility of keeping up with everything I need to keep up with.

This is one of my biggest pet peeves. The reward for getting my work done is more work, in a never ending spiral...I am perpetually behind on everything, it's mentally exhausting.

I've gone back and forth, but lots of unpaid overtime seems to be a constant.  Every year, I tell whomever my boss is that year, that my family is suffering and I can't do the hours anymore.  And every year there is too much damn work.  Company I work for was sold to a MC in 2014 and last year, the MC sold us to an Indian company.  Layoffs seem to come in waves and benefits are the worst I've ever seen, I can't figure out why they bought us and the work/cultural differences are incomprehensible. Some of them seem like lovely people, but the insistence on process and going from A to B to C to D is just mind boggling.  Then the end of a two week work trip where I was stuck in a airport hotel during two nor'easters working 15 hour days every freaking day finishing up the $17M project I've been working on for a year, I find out that my team is probably going to be replaced and I'm reporting to India now.  No raise last year, no raise this year unless they haven't told me, I'm talking with the new boss in India tomorrow.  The only benefit of this job anymore is that I work from home.  I need a new job, the only question is whether I can get another one that is remote and if not, can I deal with a commute and office environment.  Guess it's off to find out.  We decided we could easily make enough to cover our expenses for a couple years so moved our FU date up to 2020, it can't come soon enough. 

Schaefer Light

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #118 on: March 13, 2018, 07:35:16 AM »
...I don't know what's expected of me.  I have no idea what I'm supposed to be doing or how my performance is being judged.  Maybe it's simply assumed that anyone with a "manager" title will know exactly how to do his job.

netskyblue

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #119 on: March 13, 2018, 09:06:22 AM »
I hate being paid for hours of my life vs. a task completed.

I hate people trying to force social interaction upon me - chit chat, nosy person in the cube next to me commenting on what I'm doing, what I'm eating for lunch, etc. 

I hate having jobs that I didn't apply for foisted upon me because somebody quit or got fired and they don't want to hire someone to do that job.

I hate making collections calls to morons who don't pay their bills (see above, job I didn't apply for becoming part of my duties).

I hate the guy from another department who seems to think it's his job to double check my work and assign me tasks (hint: it's not).

It's just aaaalllll the bullshit.  If I have to work, I want to do it in private, and get paid for how much output I produce.  Weekly or monthly discussion with ONE supervisor to talk about what needs doing in that time period, and then let me do it.

jax8

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #120 on: March 13, 2018, 11:19:00 AM »
I hate being paid for hours of my life vs. a task completed.

THIS. I work for a butts-in-the-chair company and have to scan my finger on the time clock.  I joke that they should just insert a microchip in our necks and be done with it.

Since I'm hourly, I'm paid overtime, and it's encouraged that everyone work at least 45 hours.  There's really no reason for all of this overtime, other than it's the only way to boost our below average salaries to a decent living wage.  It's become office culture to LIVE HERE and everyone does it, from the receptionist on up.  We all eat lunch at our desks and stay here for 10 hour days, M-F, all for the overtime.

No chance for Work From Home, even though the job could be done anywhere with a lap top and a cell phone.   

HOWEVER...after reading about the people trying to make impossible billables and working unpaid overtime (or travel time) I'm realizing that it could be much worse.  My soul cringes every time I stick my finger in that stupid machine but once I get to my desk, my day is pretty easy.  No horrible bosses, no nasty coworkers.  I'm senior enough to shrug and ignore all the petty drama around me.  But I can't wait until I can stop logging so many hours here and spend more time with my children.

deek

• Bristles
« Reply #121 on: March 13, 2018, 12:48:23 PM »
It's in the flooring industry. An industry that hasn't caught up to the times. And a regional rep just came in openly bashing a "millennial" for being a millennial and not being prepared for the insane hours that a territory rep has to work. I see this as an open opportunity to improve the process for this rep so he can be more efficient instead of having to be at a store until 5pm only to have to drive back to his home office 4 hours away that same night.

Communication is awful and there is so much babysitting that has to happen.

This is why I just put in my two weeks to move to a younger company with much more promise and better pay/benefits and encourages a 40-hour work week with no weekends.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2018, 12:51:22 PM by dj »

Gone_Hiking

• Stubble
« Reply #122 on: March 13, 2018, 10:43:59 PM »

I've gone back and forth, but lots of unpaid overtime seems to be a constant.  Every year, I tell whomever my boss is that year, that my family is suffering and I can't do the hours anymore.  And every year there is too much damn work.  Company I work for was sold to a MC in 2014 and last year, the MC sold us to an Indian company.  Layoffs seem to come in waves and benefits are the worst I've ever seen, I can't figure out why they bought us and the work/cultural differences are incomprehensible. Some of them seem like lovely people, but the insistence on process and going from A to B to C to D is just mind boggling.  Then the end of a two week work trip where I was stuck in a airport hotel during two nor'easters working 15 hour days every freaking day finishing up the $17M project I've been working on for a year, I find out that my team is probably going to be replaced and I'm reporting to India now.  No raise last year, no raise this year unless they haven't told me, I'm talking with the new boss in India tomorrow.  The only benefit of this job anymore is that I work from home.  I need a new job, the only question is whether I can get another one that is remote and if not, can I deal with a commute and office environment.  Guess it's off to find out.  We decided we could easily make enough to cover our expenses for a couple years so moved our FU date up to 2020, it can't come soon enough.

I have tons of sympathy for all who suffer because of mergers and acquisitions mess.  My employer was actually a decent place to work until 10 years ago when they were bought out by a private equity fund that extracted every single dollar possible out and later sold it to a MC for a nice tidy sum.  That's where the current policies and cost cutting measures were put in place.  The more I learn about these as I prepare to leave, the more glad I am to be getting out.

DrumAllDay

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #123 on: March 14, 2018, 07:11:56 AM »

[/quote] have to scan my finger on the time clock.  I joke that they should just insert a microchip in our necks and be done with it. [/quote]

lol me too! I scan my middle finger just to stick it to the man twice a day :p
« Last Edit: March 14, 2018, 07:14:24 AM by DrumAllDay »

LPG

• Stubble
    • 1000x Faster Blog
« Reply #124 on: March 14, 2018, 09:25:06 AM »
I'll join in...

That is wonderful lol!

Maybe  sitting in an office with nothing to do, pretending to be busy because we're expected to be doing productive project work full time sounds nice to some. I struggle with boredom and insincerity, so it drives me insane. Now, if I was in this position while independent and therefore could use the spare time on things I liked...completely different story.

Just Joe

• Walrus Stache
  • Teach me something.
« Reply #125 on: March 14, 2018, 09:56:38 AM »
I'll join in...

So if you leave will you take you little automation tricks with you?

merlin7676

• Stubble
« Reply #126 on: March 14, 2018, 02:19:48 PM »
I feel like I'm in that movie Groundhog Day.  Wake up in the morning and do the same thing over and over. Working/Living each day just like the day before that and the day before that.

LPG

• Stubble
    • 1000x Faster Blog
« Reply #127 on: March 14, 2018, 08:45:09 PM »
I'll join in...

So if you leave will you take you little automation tricks with you?

You bet. I'm actually ~75% done with the first draft of a book teaching other people how to create similar automation tricks.

startingsmall

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #128 on: March 14, 2018, 08:49:36 PM »
.... I'm a veterinarian in an area where people don't really take care of their pets. Every day, I witness obvious cases of neglect and abuse. Any animal that may require more than minimal diagnostics/treatment typically ends up with the owner requesting euthanasia. We see cases that should have been seen at the emergency clinic, but the owners don't want to spend the money there so they let the animals suffer until we open. It's awful.

RidetheRain

• Bristles
« Reply #129 on: March 15, 2018, 10:22:02 AM »
I study teen suicide rates and use statistics to help workers identify the most likely teens to need help out of all the referrals my client agency gets (which is way more than they have the capability of helping). It's sad to work on, but really rewarding when you help someone. The soul-crushing part is all of the data we get in about what are essentially failures - teens who die or hurt themselves very badly despite our best efforts. I hate my job, but I feel like I couldn't possibly quit because that's almost worse.

dougules

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #130 on: March 15, 2018, 10:28:31 AM »
I study teen suicide rates and use statistics to help workers identify the most likely teens to need help out of all the referrals my client agency gets (which is way more than they have the capability of helping). It's sad to work on, but really rewarding when you help someone. The soul-crushing part is all of the data we get in about what are essentially failures - teens who die or hurt themselves very badly despite our best efforts. I hate my job, but I feel like I couldn't possibly quit because that's almost worse.

Wow, that sounds pretty heavy, but you're probably doing a lot of good.  Do you ever get counseling to help you deal with being exposed to so much tragedy?

RidetheRain

• Bristles
« Reply #131 on: March 15, 2018, 10:50:15 AM »

Wow, that sounds pretty heavy, but you're probably doing a lot of good.  Do you ever get counseling to help you deal with being exposed to so much tragedy?

No. Unfortunately, only full employees get that kind of benefit and I'm only a lowly contractor. Counseling is expensive even with decent insurance in the US. I've had some luck with the Catholic church though. They aren't professionals of course, but there is a certain degree of ethical and philosophical study required for the priesthood which I have found to be helpful. Still, I expect to burn out sooner than I'd wish on this job.

Schaefer Light

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #132 on: March 15, 2018, 10:57:37 AM »

I don't see how therapists and priests can handle all the stuff that gets unloaded on them.

fuzzy math

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #133 on: March 15, 2018, 11:49:45 AM »
After some bad patient outcomes, my work's administration has decided to do a review. One patient chosen, happens to be mine. The physician primarily to blame is eagerly sniffing around my department making overt demands for all sorts of things to try to cast some blame our direction to deflect from his eventual firing. Not sure if today is my "day in court" or at the next meeting.

Sent from my H1623 using Tapatalk

diapasoun

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #134 on: March 15, 2018, 02:36:30 PM »
@RidetheRain and @startingsmall, it sounds like you both have incredibly difficult jobs -- not only your work itself, but the emotional aftermath of dealing with so much pain and suffering that you can't solve. Sending both of you a lot of e-hugs, if desired.

@fuzzy math, I hope your problem physician cools down and the blame is sorted appropriately.

MaybeBabyMustache

• Walrus Stache
    • My Wild Ride to FI
« Reply #135 on: March 18, 2018, 08:13:59 PM »
I am the breadwinner and we don't have our FU stash built up enough for us to keep the same pace to FI. Truth be told I love my job.  HOWEVER...

I'd love the freedom to negotiate my travel.  It seems many in this position feel it's "necessary" to the job, but I'm not convinced.  And I'd love to be able to be in a position to say "I don't plan to travel at all this year and that needs to be okay with you."  I'd even take a pay cut to make it happen.

Someday... and on that day?  It will be really hard to ever leave this job as long as it STAYS this job.  You know, corporate reorgs and all are always a risk :)

This is interesting. I've thought of laying down the "no travel" guidance for myself. Unfortunately, I find that the rest of my time goes much more smoothly when I travel quarterly. My managers are separated into three time zones, which means we don't meet unless it's via travel. And, traveling once a quarter saves me from endless night calls & meetings. I suppose I prefer it that way.

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
Re: my job because .....
« Reply #136 on: March 19, 2018, 05:56:08 AM »
Today is one of these days...

Everything at work goes wrong, and is totally out of my control to fix. It is eating up the time from my group to deliver or goals.
Building a new release isn't working, because of software errors and data errors.
My colleague making the build is having a headache and has also been working for 4 hours on a Sunday with this build. I feel so sorry for her. It should have been finished last week, but she couldn't get started before Friday, out of her control.
Several machines in the test environment are not working.
Lots and lots of emails all the time about the test environment of one of our suppliers. I am copied on all sorts of stuff that I hardly understand.
We need some resources for testing. The project can't deliver them. The people who manage my part of the project are at sick leave and on vacation. I need to stand in and ask for resources from other managers. One little thing in this asking was positive, the person sitting on the money sack gave me permission to ask for the resources and that only took a minute to find out.
I colleague calls me all the time, while another one is contacting me in person all the time, telling me the same thing. They both tell me very little, so I need to ask more and more questions to find out what the real problem is and what could be done.
We cannot get started our delivery (officially testing the new release), and I have planned a whole week Easter holiday next week. You bet I will be anxious the whole week instead of relaxing during my vacation.
On Friday we imported a bunch of data from another system, which takes many hours. Someone changed a little thing on Friday afternoon, so today it has been done again. Still running and I need to wait for hours before I can use the latest thing.

Lots of things private also go wrong today. My salary came later than expected and I don't have enough cash on my bank account to pay the bills that are on automatic payment tomorrow. That is because I invested too much in stock too early. I let DH pay one of my bills and transfer some money to me. Still, there are a LOT of bills to pay the coming days. I really hope my salary comes tomorrow as it should.
Also my private webmail that I used at work today gives error messages.
I haven't received a payment from the previous owner of our house that we legally agreed on.
I received a book with an invoice that had to be paid before the book even reached my post office. I paid today by Paypal, but paypal is charging the receiver with a fee. I have no idea how high that fee is, and I want to pay for the fee. So I paid a 2 euros extra in the hope that that will cover the fee enough.
I asked the manufacturer of our bifold door if we could repair a fault on our door. He only gave me the solution to hire a serviceman, which of course costs money. :-(

At least at the lunch table we could laugh a bit about some of this stuff...
« Last Edit: March 19, 2018, 06:00:01 AM by Linda_Norway »

pecunia

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #137 on: March 19, 2018, 07:57:05 PM »
"Today is one of these days..."

I had a long talk with a co-worker who suffers from bad back problems.  It helped me realize what the real worries are in life.  My mom used to say, "If you don't have your health, you don't have anything."  Sometimes it crosses my mind and the money stuff recedes into the background.

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #138 on: March 19, 2018, 11:28:51 PM »
"Today is one of these days..."

I had a long talk with a co-worker who suffers from bad back problems.  It helped me realize what the real worries are in life.  My mom used to say, "If you don't have your health, you don't have anything."  Sometimes it crosses my mind and the money stuff recedes into the background.

I know. DH now has some health issues, hopefully repairable. I am often thinking why didn't we take more sabbaticals in our younger years, instead of retiring at 50 or so. Now we have 1,5 year left, but I tell DH that his health is more important and that he may retire earlier.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2018, 06:39:43 AM by Linda_Norway »

MaybeBabyMustache

• Walrus Stache
    • My Wild Ride to FI
« Reply #139 on: March 20, 2018, 06:38:28 AM »
For today, it's because I have a 4 hour commute. this is a few times a year thing, but . . . oh God does it ever suck the life out of you to add 4 hours to your day, in wasted time.

MissNancyPryor

• Bristles
« Reply #140 on: March 20, 2018, 12:01:05 PM »
There is a constant, never ending sexism in my job.  I am in an industry where it is 95% men and even fewer female leaders.  I usually don’t give a shit and rely on simply being competent and consistent to carry me.  I don’t discuss it, I don’t shove it up people’s noses, and I never EVER bring it up.  I have zero interest in carrying a banner or wearing a pussy hat.

But it happens every day.  Just minutes ago on a call of 15 leaders -I was the only female- a request was made for a “safety moment” and I volunteered mine.  (Safety moments should be on the list of things to hate about the job all on their own, they have become banal and repetitive.)

I offered that over the weekend I had rebuilt the carburetor on my lawn mower.  My cautionary note was to be consciencious about disposal of oily rags, whether from some task like this or if folks are out staining their deck this summer.  Be deliberate and careful about disposal to assure no spontaneous combustion happens; let the rags air out and use non-flammable disposal containers.

Well of course I got the, “I am so IMPRESSED that you can rebuild a carburetor, Nancy!” from my boss who was on the call.  I immediately thought that if one of the guys on the call offered up the same share that statement would never have been made.  I just brushed it off and said, “Yep, more than just a pretty face.”  Sigh. 

I have a fucking mechanical engineering degree and have been working in heavy industry for 15 years.  But I am still a girl in the eyes of the southern gentleman who is my boss. 

I will never make a thing about this and will never mention it.  That is the job, that is my industry, and I knew that when I joined.  And it will be something I am glad to step away from.

RidetheRain

• Bristles
« Reply #141 on: March 20, 2018, 01:09:33 PM »
There is a constant, never ending sexism in my job.  I am in an industry where it is 95% men and even fewer female leaders.  I usually don’t give a shit and rely on simply being competent and consistent to carry me.  I don’t discuss it, I don’t shove it up people’s noses, and I never EVER bring it up.  I have zero interest in carrying a banner or wearing a pussy hat.

But it happens every day.  Just minutes ago on a call of 15 leaders -I was the only female- a request was made for a “safety moment” and I volunteered mine.  (Safety moments should be on the list of things to hate about the job all on their own, they have become banal and repetitive.)

I offered that over the weekend I had rebuilt the carburetor on my lawn mower.  My cautionary note was to be consciencious about disposal of oily rags, whether from some task like this or if folks are out staining their deck this summer.  Be deliberate and careful about disposal to assure no spontaneous combustion happens; let the rags air out and use non-flammable disposal containers.

Well of course I got the, “I am so IMPRESSED that you can rebuild a carburetor, Nancy!” from my boss who was on the call.  I immediately thought that if one of the guys on the call offered up the same share that statement would never have been made.  I just brushed it off and said, “Yep, more than just a pretty face.”  Sigh. 

I have a fucking mechanical engineering degree and have been working in heavy industry for 15 years.  But I am still a girl in the eyes of the southern gentleman who is my boss. 

I will never make a thing about this and will never mention it.  That is the job, that is my industry, and I knew that when I joined.  And it will be something I am glad to step away from.

I wasn't with you until you said what you actually did for a living. At my software engineering job if someone said they managed to lower the blades on their lawnmower to get a different length grass I'd be surprised - man or woman. But in the context of a heavy machinery industry and mechanical engineering degree... that does seem like sexism is in there. Hopefully, you have some good ones there too! I've found that having male coworkers who respect my knowledge and worth keeps me ready and willing to stand up for myself with those who do not respect me.

MissNancyPryor

• Bristles
« Reply #142 on: March 20, 2018, 03:37:16 PM »

I wasn't with you until you said what you actually did for a living. At my software engineering job if someone said they managed to lower the blades on their lawnmower to get a different length grass I'd be surprised - man or woman. But in the context of a heavy machinery industry and mechanical engineering degree... that does seem like sexism is in there. Hopefully, you have some good ones there too! I've found that having male coworkers who respect my knowledge and worth keeps me ready and willing to stand up for myself with those who do not respect me.

I found it is never wise to stand up for myself in these instances.  That is a fast track to the bottom of the blacklist that absolutely exists.  I once had the honor of sitting in a feedback session with a retired director in a former company and he spilled the beans about how the executives absolutely kept track of who the female troublemakers were.  Absolutely it was held angainst them if they dared notice any different treatment.  They were described as whiny, high-maintenance, and litigious.  And not promotable.  This is exceedingly hard to fix in an industrial career dominated by men and I am not going to constantly feel like I have to shout “I am not your token woman!”

So I eat the shit sandwich.  No, it is not right and it is not fair but that is the fact.  There are men who respect me for sure, possibly partly because I refuse to make a thing out of anything. 

To clarify, if I was being sexually harrassed I would not be saying that, for sure.  But these stupid little and persistent slights?  Nope, so not worth it.  I am not paving any roads for the next bright woman, I would only be shackling my own ankles.  It is not a hill I will die on— my goal is to make as much money as I possibly can in the shortest amount of time I can and GTFO.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2018, 03:45:04 PM by MissNancyPryor »

Miss Piggy

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #143 on: March 20, 2018, 06:55:42 PM »
Middle fucking management. Need I say more?

If I had a dollar for every time the manager two levels up from me said or wrote the word "visibility," I would take my FU money and run. This guy gets a hardon (wait, is that a real, written word?) any time he or anyone who works under him gets noticed for ANYTHING. Then he shouts whatever got noticed from the mountaintops, you know, for greater visibility.

Not giving a shit is a really nice state of mind. It has worked wonders for me. So has the internal eye roll.

pecunia

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #144 on: March 20, 2018, 07:39:16 PM »
Miss Nancy Pryor wrote - "To clarify, if I was being sexually harrassed I would not be saying that, for sure.  But these stupid little and persistent slights?  Nope, so not worth it.  I am not paving any roads for the next bright woman, I would only be shackling my own ankles.  It is not a hill I will die on— my goal is to make as much money as I possibly can in the shortest amount of time I can and GTFO."

I found that interesting.  I work with a bunch of craft electricians.  I see very very few women electricians or women in the crafts for that matter.  I've wondered why?  They are good paying jobs that will allow the feeding of a family among other things.  I realize some of these guys are kind of crude.  The job does not always take a great deal of physical strength  and some selected jobs take very little.  Your post has reminded me of the power of culture in pushing us into allowable slots. 

Hang in there until you can set yourself free.

MissNancyPryor

• Bristles
« Reply #145 on: March 20, 2018, 08:07:54 PM »
I recommended to my daughters that they become pipeline welders, highly sought after and hugely paid craft welders for exactly the reasons you describe.  That attention to detail in many of the industrial crafts is often suited to the female of the species. 

They went the degree route instead but I never hesitated to point them toward the atypical career.   

Monkey Uncle

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #146 on: March 21, 2018, 04:52:23 AM »
This guy gets a hardon (wait, is that a real, written word?) any time he or anyone who works under him gets noticed for ANYTHING.

I think it's supposed to be hyphenated: hard-on.  Not sure if it's a real dictionary word, though.  I'm too afraid to google it.

Morning Glory

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #147 on: March 21, 2018, 07:45:14 AM »
Waking up at 0300.
Joint commission
Having to "look busy" or be forced to pick up slack from inefficient colleagues
The nice patients dying

Miss Piggy

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #148 on: March 21, 2018, 03:46:46 PM »
This guy gets a hardon (wait, is that a real, written word?) any time he or anyone who works under him gets noticed for ANYTHING.

I think it's supposed to be hyphenated: hard-on.  Not sure if it's a real dictionary word, though.  I'm too afraid to google it.

I think you're right--about the spelling and the decision not to google it!

Michael in ABQ

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #149 on: March 21, 2018, 03:59:59 PM »
It's all moot now because I put in my noticed last week and Friday is my last day.

That being said what really did it for me was the constant deadlines and the realization that I'm not suited for just banging out mediocre quality work so we can bill it and move on to the next job. I'm somewhat of a perfectionist and that doesn't pay the bills. Doing A+ work when B- gets it done just fine isn't a good fit. Because of my desire to always product top-quality work I was frequently late and earned a lot less than my coworkers who could just do something that was good enough. This led to working a lot of nights and weekends and not making nearly enough to compensate for it.

I'm sure my next job will have some things I hate. Going from a corporate job on 100% commission to a federal DoD employee is definitely going to be a change.