Author Topic: Question for you real estate folks  (Read 4085 times)

friedmmj

• Bristles
Question for you real estate folks
« on: February 17, 2019, 04:02:51 PM »
My brother and I are trying to figure out how to divide a small inheritance which consists of a small row home (free and clear and market value < $50k) along with a sum of cash around $28k.  He is a financially irresponsible loser (no wife or kids at least) and is currently living in the home by himself.  I don't want to sell the house because he likely won't find anything as affordable as that (super LCOL area) and if he had the cash proceeds he would blow it inside of a year and have nowhere to live.

I came up with the idea to put the $28k cash into a reserve account which I will control and pay the property taxes ($1k/yr) and any major repairs like new roof or water heater.  I want to put the deed in his name only so I don't have liability but I also don't want him taking out any equity line or reverse mortgage and I also want to retain my ownership stake for when he dies or sells eventually. 

How easy is it for me to place a first mortgage private lien on the house representing my half of the estate?  I don't intend to collect payments or interest.  I just want to have that lien so he can't screw me and cash-out mortgage the place himself.   Do I need a lawyer for this or could I pull it off on my own with the county clerk?

wageslave23

• Handlebar Stache
Re: Question for you real estate folks
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2019, 08:22:22 AM »
So you are entitled to about 35k?  Why not just take the $27k cash and leave him the house?  Sounds like a lot of hassle for a future payment of an extra $8k.

AMandM

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2019, 08:29:51 AM »
Does your brother agree that he is a loser and that you should control his access to his property?

friedmmj

• Bristles
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2019, 08:51:40 AM »
So you are entitled to about 35k?  Why not just take the $27k cash and leave him the house?  Sounds like a lot of hassle for a future payment of an extra $8k.

Because he won't pay the taxes or do any repairs and will eventually get evicted at a tax sale and be homeless.

friedmmj

• Bristles
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2019, 08:53:14 AM »
Does your brother agree that he is a loser and that you should control his access to his property?
Basically yes.  Actually, he expects to stay in the house and also get some of the cash.

Another Reader

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2019, 09:10:17 AM »
You are not responsible for your brother, he won't change his behavior unless he decides to change, and you can't control him, even if you are sure its in his best interest.

In your shoes, I would want to get rid of all financial entanglement.  As long as you have an interest in the house, his behavior poses a risk to you.  I would immediately have an appraisal done of the house as of the date of death.  Once it was demonstrated that the house is worth more than the $27k in cash, I would offer to either gift him the house or force a partition where the house is sold and the proceeds plus the current cash are split 50-50.  If he has any brains, he will take the house.  Follow through with the partition if he does not.  If you are the executor or the trustee of a trust holding the assets, you may not have to go through the full partition process.  An estate attorney consultation may be of use to you here.

What he does with the cash or the house is up to him.  Just be very clear with him that if he loses the house or blows through the cash, you will not support him financially or enable his behavior.  Then follow through and allow him to make whatever mistakes he wants but do not enable his bad behavior in any way.

No different than dealing with an alcoholic or an addict. 

friedmmj

• Bristles
« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2019, 09:48:30 AM »
You are not responsible for your brother, he won't change his behavior unless he decides to change, and you can't control him, even if you are sure its in his best interest.

In your shoes, I would want to get rid of all financial entanglement.  As long as you have an interest in the house, his behavior poses a risk to you.  I would immediately have an appraisal done of the house as of the date of death.  Once it was demonstrated that the house is worth more than the $27k in cash, I would offer to either gift him the house or force a partition where the house is sold and the proceeds plus the current cash are split 50-50.  If he has any brains, he will take the house.  Follow through with the partition if he does not.  If you are the executor or the trustee of a trust holding the assets, you may not have to go through the full partition process.  An estate attorney consultation may be of use to you here.

What he does with the cash or the house is up to him.  Just be very clear with him that if he loses the house or blows through the cash, you will not support him financially or enable his behavior.  Then follow through and allow him to make whatever mistakes he wants but do not enable his bad behavior in any way.

Thank you so much for this advice.  I am coming to this same conclusion myself, but this is my only reasonable path.  He lived with our parents until he was middle aged and only moved out due to being sent to prison for abusing my Mom.  He's my only sibling and it hurts me greatly to realize there is nothing I can do for him.

friedmmj

• Bristles
« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2019, 09:54:50 AM »

Following up on your advice, would you delay the division of the cash until the house is sold?  I want to ensure he will cooperate with the house sale and have a motivation to get it sold.

Another Reader

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2019, 10:03:12 AM »

Thank you so much for this advice.  I am coming to this same conclusion myself, but this is my only reasonable path.  He lived with our parents until he was middle aged and only moved out due to being sent to prison for abusing my Mom.  He's my only sibling and it hurts me greatly to realize there is nothing I can do for him.

In your shoes, I would want to have limited or no contact with your brother.  It's too bad your folks allowed him to live in the house and did not take steps to keep him from inheriting anything.  Make the division in a way that is easy for you and disentangles you from his life.  You can't fix him and you will regret being involved in his life if you choose to be involved.

I would not divide the cash.  You may need some of it to settle the estate.  I would also want one settlement, not a multi-step process that will encourage your brother to think he deserves more after he blows through the cash.  In your shoes, I would consult with an experienced estate attorney and consider letting that person handle the settlement, even if it costs the estate some money.

AMandM

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2019, 10:18:50 AM »
Because he won't pay the taxes or do any repairs and will eventually get evicted at a tax sale and be homeless.

From this and what you posted below, it sounds like any plans you make are just a way of delaying your brother's inevitable slide into homelessness. That is a hard place for you to be in, even if his position is in some respects self-inflicted and well-deserved. I'm sorry. 

In light of that, I would agree that settling the estate and disentangling yourself financially is the most prudent move. Unless perhaps, if I may be somewhat morbid: is there any prospect of making arrangements that would delay your brother's slide into homelessness to a point later than his death?  Depending on his age/health and the cost of maintaining the house, perhaps you could own it, he could live there rent-free, and the cash could be used to pay the taxes & insurance & upkeep. You would know better than us the likelihood of that working out--whether your brother is a big liability in terms of damage to the house, danger to others on the property, etc., whether he has enough income for expenses other than rent, etc.

FINate

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #10 on: February 18, 2019, 11:02:43 AM »
Labeling someone a loser because they don't have a wife or kids makes it personal rather than focusing on his behavior. It's like saying someone is a bad person rather than a person who makes bad decisions. Your issue is with his irresponsibility with finances so focus on that instead.

Agree with the others about not becoming financially entangled. You can't fix or control him, he's going to have to figure this stuff out on his own.

If you want to be generous and avoid a fight over the house you may consider taking the cash (what's left over after the estate is settled) and giving him the house. Yes, he'd be getting ~2/3 of the estate value, but it's not that much and given what you've described and the possible outcomes, getting ~$20k of cash is betting than getting zero if a legal battle unfolds (only the lawyers win in this case).

FINate

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #11 on: February 18, 2019, 11:05:26 AM »

I missed that someone else mentioned this, and you responded. Again, you can't control what he does with the house. If this ends up happening it will hopefully be a learning experience for him.

MrThatsDifferent

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #12 on: February 18, 2019, 11:22:52 AM »
I’ve seen it time and time again, nothing destroys siblings more than when the parents die and they fight over the house. Weirdest thing.

I’m in 2 minds: because you wrote he went to jail for abusing your mom, I’d be inclined to do nothing for him that would help him. I’d force a sale, split the money and go away. But, family is never so simple, and you clearly love the guy, so...

Depending on your own situation and not needing the house or money, I’d take whatever from the house you want to remember your parents, then let him have the house and 5k and you take the rest of the cash. He gets a place to live, and some money but not enough to completely waste. If he ends up losing the house, that’s on him. You get less but you achieve your goal of helping him have somewhere to stay that isn’t with you, and you get to be responsible with the money. You frame it as selling your $25k interest in the house for $9k of his cash.

I’d give your brother those two options and let him pick.

YttriumNitrate

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #13 on: February 18, 2019, 11:38:54 AM »
Labeling someone a loser because they don't have a wife or kids makes it personal rather than focusing on his behavior.
I think you may have misinterpreted friedmmj's comment. The way I read it, friedmmj called their brother a financial loser that luckily does not have any dependents impacted by his financial loserness.

FINate

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #14 on: February 18, 2019, 11:42:28 AM »
Labeling someone a loser because they don't have a wife or kids makes it personal rather than focusing on his behavior.
I think you may have misinterpreted friedmmj's comment. The way I read it, friedmmj called their brother a financial loser that luckily does not have any dependents impacted by his financial loserness.

My mistake, apologies.

Glenstache

• Magnum Stache
  • FI(lean) working on the "RE"
« Reply #15 on: February 18, 2019, 11:59:56 AM »
Just going to add a +1 to the advice to reduce or eliminate financial entanglements. Some of the options above include attorney's fees. The cost of those fees and the head/heartache that may come with that should be considered. The cleanest resolution is likely to be worth any imbalance in how inheritance is split.

As a side note. I suspect that it was a difficult time when your brother was sent to jail for abusing your mom. I've had a similar situation in my family a few years ago. I just wanted to acknowledge that it must have been difficult and that it must make the current situation a bit more emotionally difficult. It is good to take care of family, but take care of yourself first in these situations even if a bit more difficult.

friedmmj

• Bristles
« Reply #16 on: February 18, 2019, 12:17:03 PM »
Just going to add a +1 to the advice to reduce or eliminate financial entanglements. Some of the options above include attorney's fees. The cost of those fees and the head/heartache that may come with that should be considered. The cleanest resolution is likely to be worth any imbalance in how inheritance is split.

As a side note. I suspect that it was a difficult time when your brother was sent to jail for abusing your mom. I've had a similar situation in my family a few years ago. I just wanted to acknowledge that it must have been difficult and that it must make the current situation a bit more emotionally difficult. It is good to take care of family, but take care of yourself first in these situations even if a bit more difficult.

Thanks for saying that.  Yes, it was extremely difficult when that happened.  My Dad had recently passed away the year before and my Mom was left by herself to deal with my brother and his abusive crap and by the way he was stealing my Dad's life insurance money in the process.  It hurts just to think about it.  At one point, my Mom didn't have even have enough money in her checkbook to buy groceries.

The current house is not the one they were living in at that time (which was also my childhood home).  After my brother went to state prison, my Mom was diagnosed with Alzheimer's and I moved her to an assisted living place near me and I had the pleasure of selling her house on my own which was 6 months of hell and also trying to get my Mom set up.    The current house is a small row home that I bought with a portion of the proceeds from an irrevocable trust that I set up with that was left from selling Mom's house so my asshole brother would have somewhere to live when he was released.  The rest went towards her care in assisted living for the past 3 years until she passed a couple weeks ago.

ericrugiero

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #17 on: February 18, 2019, 12:18:12 PM »
In my mind, the best scenario would be for you to take the cash and give him the house.  If you feel generous you could give him enough cash to cover the first year or two of taxes. Probably the best way to make that happen would be to give him a choice of taking the house while you get the cash or selling the house and you both split the cash.  You could emphasize that he makes out better taking the house just because that's likely to be a longer term benefit to him.  (sounds like $35K cash wouldn't last long)

Your idea of keeping the house in his name with you taking out a lein could be a possibility, I don't know anything about setting something like that up.  You are definitely setting yourself up to lose out all or most of the money.  What if he drains the $28k with taxes, repairs, etc and then the house burns down with no insurance on it?  You may not have liability but you also didn't get any money.  This might be the most "helpful" thing you could do for him but it's also enabling his behavior.  Not much difference between this and you giving him $35K over the next 10 years.  Most people would say that doesn't really help him to make better decisions on his own.  That's a choice only you can make.  Hopefully he is reasonable and doesn't force you into a legal battle. 

partgypsy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #18 on: February 18, 2019, 12:27:00 PM »

From this and what you posted below, it sounds like any plans you make are just a way of delaying your brother's inevitable slide into homelessness. That is a hard place for you to be in, even if his position is in some respects self-inflicted and well-deserved. I'm sorry. 

In light of that, I would agree that settling the estate and disentangling yourself financially is the most prudent move. Unless perhaps, if I may be somewhat morbid: is there any prospect of making arrangements that would delay your brother's slide into homelessness to a point later than his death?  Depending on his age/health and the cost of maintaining the house, perhaps you could own it, he could live there rent-free, and the cash could be used to pay the taxes & insurance & upkeep. You would know better than us the likelihood of that working out--whether your brother is a big liability in terms of damage to the house, danger to others on the property, etc., whether he has enough income for expenses other than rent, etc.

No no no! This is bad advice! You can't save people from themselves, and I'm sure the poster doesn't want this to be her full time job.

After you get an appraisal of house; If the house appraises for more than the cash settlement, offer to give sibling the house, you keep cash. If the house appraises for less, the house+whatever amount of cash makes it 50/50.

If the sibling does not agree, have an estate attorney do the paperwork to sell the house, and you both split the proceeds 50/50, and wash your hands of it.

It's pretty clear what you have to do, but it won't be easy.

Glenstache

• Magnum Stache
  • FI(lean) working on the "RE"
« Reply #19 on: February 18, 2019, 12:36:53 PM »

Thanks for saying that.  Yes, it was extremely difficult when that happened.  My Dad had recently passed away the year before and my Mom was left by herself to deal with my brother and his abusive crap and by the way he was stealing my Dad's life insurance money in the process.  It hurts just to think about it.  At one point, my Mom didn't have even have enough money in her checkbook to buy groceries.

The current house is not the one they were living in at that time (which was also my childhood home).  After my brother went to state prison, my Mom was diagnosed with Alzheimer's and I moved her to an assisted living place near me and I had the pleasure of selling her house on my own which was 6 months of hell and also trying to get my Mom set up.    The current house is a small row home that I bought with a portion of the proceeds from an irrevocable trust that I set up with that was left from selling Mom's house so my asshole brother would have somewhere to live when he was released.  The rest went towards her care in assisted living for the past 3 years until she passed a couple weeks ago.
The details are different, but I empathize. It sounds like you did well by your Mom and handled the difficult things that you could. This thread has been a reminder to me to make another donation to a local women's shelter to help those in abusive situations that aren't fortunate enough to have family to support them. 

Another Reader

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #20 on: February 18, 2019, 01:10:11 PM »
Your brother thinks everything belongs to him.  The theft of the insurance proceeds is an excellent example.  You need to disentangle yourself from this mess.

In the criminal case against your brother, was the amount of money stolen included in the case?  Was there a criminal restitution order?  If so, it's worth consulting an attorney to see if the damages can be recovered from him in some way.  He may "owe" the estate the damages. 

What I would consider doing is probably not what most people would do.  If there is a criminal restitution order, I would have the estate evict him from the house and then I would sell the house.  Once the estate is all in cash, I would add the value of what he stole per the restitution order back into the amount.  I would subtract your half of the total estate made whole and give him whatever was left.  This is a lot of work and there would be costs, but it's the only way your brother will ever "feel" the impact of what he did.

If you want to take the easier way, have the house appraised to insure it's worth more than the cash.  Offer him the house or a partition case and see what he picks.  Then be done with him.

friedmmj

• Bristles
« Reply #21 on: February 18, 2019, 01:50:16 PM »
Your brother thinks everything belongs to him.  The theft of the insurance proceeds is an excellent example.  You need to disentangle yourself from this mess.

In the criminal case against your brother, was the amount of money stolen included in the case?  Was there a criminal restitution order?  If so, it's worth consulting an attorney to see if the damages can be recovered from him in some way.  He may "owe" the estate the damages. 

What I would consider doing is probably not what most people would do.  If there is a criminal restitution order, I would have the estate evict him from the house and then I would sell the house.  Once the estate is all in cash, I would add the value of what he stole per the restitution order back into the amount.  I would subtract your half of the total estate made whole and give him whatever was left.  This is a lot of work and there would be costs, but it's the only way your brother will ever "feel" the impact of what he did.

If you want to take the easier way, have the house appraised to insure it's worth more than the cash.  Offer him the house or a partition case and see what he picks.  Then be done with him.

I presented evidence of his theft of the insurance money to the county prosecutor but he declined to file charges (longer story with that).

I've decided to offer him the house plus $4k in cash and a release of any future claims.  Waiting to see if he accepts.  This will prevent the costs of an appraisal and hopefully can be done with minimal legal costs.

Thanks to all for your advice.  Much appreciated!

Another Reader

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #22 on: February 18, 2019, 01:58:06 PM »
I think you have made a well reasoned and sensible decision.  The most important result will be that you will be done with him.

friedmmj

• Bristles
« Reply #23 on: February 18, 2019, 02:01:30 PM »
I think you have made a well reasoned and sensible decision.  The most important result will be that you will be done with him.
Maybe from a financial point of view I will be done.  To be truly done I would have to change my phone number and move to a different state (half kidding).

Another Reader

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #24 on: February 18, 2019, 03:21:51 PM »
Maybe from a financial point of view I will be done.  To be truly done I would have to change my phone number and move to a different state (half kidding).

Screen your calls and get a video doorbell...  I do believe he will be back for more.

partgypsy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #25 on: February 19, 2019, 09:43:19 AM »
Yes, I worry for you. I don't know if there is a way you can show him your will, and that nothing goes to him. Only partly kidding.

Lemonhead

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #26 on: February 19, 2019, 12:19:20 PM »
In general, people don't value what they haven't worked for.  My 40 year old nephew that "bought" my sisters house with her inheritance is a shining example.  At one point he had $135k house with no mortgage, maybe $40k cash and two cars, all inherited.  After all that was gone his brother bought him another car.  He now owns a dog and a sofa not much else as near as I can tell.  I longer speak to him but I see him around town occasionally walking the dog.  He lives in a former motel and walks to work at rotating pizza shops in town that need him the worst at the time.  You really can't save people from themselves.

partgypsy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #27 on: February 19, 2019, 01:03:40 PM »
In general, people don't value what they haven't worked for.  My 40 year old nephew that "bought" my sisters house with her inheritance is a shining example.  At one point he had $135k house with no mortgage, maybe $40k cash and two cars, all inherited.  After all that was gone his brother bought him another car.  He now owns a dog and a sofa not much else as near as I can tell.  I longer speak to him but I see him around town occasionally walking the dog.  He lives in a former motel and walks to work at rotating pizza shops in town that need him the worst at the time.  You really can't save people from themselves.

that's sad

TomTX

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #28 on: February 20, 2019, 07:11:26 PM »

Do you want to babysit a grown man for the rest of your life and have him be a constant emotional and cash sink while also sucking up your time to deal with his drama?

Serious question.

AlexMar

• Bristles
« Reply #29 on: February 20, 2019, 07:19:29 PM »

I presented evidence of his theft of the insurance money to the county prosecutor but he declined to file charges (longer story with that).

I've decided to offer him the house plus $4k in cash and a release of any future claims.  Waiting to see if he accepts.  This will prevent the costs of an appraisal and hopefully can be done with minimal legal costs.

Thanks to all for your advice.  Much appreciated!

The fact that you feel the need to make such a ridiculous offer to your brother is all the evidence you need to run away, fast.  Hopefully he takes your outrageously generous offer and you can get the heck away from him.  If not, force the sale of the house and split what is left.  Bigger legal fees?  Oh well, bro, I guess your half is a little bit less now.  Good luck.

undercover

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #30 on: February 20, 2019, 10:07:55 PM »
I think you've received some great advice, particularly from Another Reader.

I do admire OP's tenacity to give his brother the benefit of the doubt regardless of his behavior. It's a fine line to walk between helping someone who actually needs to fall further in order to change and helping them because they say they're trying to change. It's difficult to determine whether or not and how much someone needs help. Either the way the person you're trying to help is in a bad situation so doing something is never a despicable act. If we were all in full control of our lives, no one would choose OP's brother's situation.

Honestly, my motto in life is that if you can help even one person then you've done a great job with your time alive. To be fair, none of us are that far from things crashing down. You just can't let it bring you down - and that's why I definitely think you've made a good decision.

K-ice

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #31 on: February 20, 2019, 10:33:53 PM »
Your offer sounds good. It may be wise to get an appraisal so he can’t come back for more.

Kay-Ell

• Stubble
  • Semi-retired in 2017
« Reply #32 on: February 21, 2019, 10:20:07 AM »
Since he’s not my brother and I don’t love him, and since I think stealing one’s father’s life insurance while abusing one’s elderly mother is a despicable act. I would personally offer him the house and keep the cash. Then I’d use a portion of the cash to buy up the tax liens on the house when he inevitably goes into default. In a few years I’d foreclose and evict him. But I’m feeling especially mean spirited after everything I just read. The choice that OP made is far more generous.