Author Topic: Question about car 'rental' vs buying  (Read 1712 times)

cookcd

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Question about car 'rental' vs buying
« on: July 21, 2015, 04:25:18 PM »
Right now I'm try to sell my current (non-mustachian) car but I don't have a replacement car yet.  I'm looking but I also have an... odd option I wanted some feedback on.  A friend of a friend will be unemployed and he's looking to travel.  He won't need his car and instead of storing it he offered to rent it to me for a tentative price of $100 a month.  I would pay for gas and oil changes, but he would pay for anything else.  I think it's a 2009 Toyota Yaris.

This may be hard since I was interested in buying a variety of vehicles (undecided).  Examples are a Honda Fit for 10k, a Ford Focus for 12k, old Civic hatchback for 2.5k, or maybe an older Mazda3.

Turnbull

• Stubble
Re: Question about car 'rental' vs buying
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2015, 07:31:24 PM »
He needs to check with his insurance company before he does this, but I have a feeling I know what they're going to tell him. In our policy at least, if you let a friend drive your car you're covered in an accident. Renting it to someone is a whole different story. I don't think there would be any coverage in that situation.

FarmerPete

• Bristles
Re: Question about car 'rental' vs buying
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2015, 07:46:18 AM »
I think that if you get in an accident, you might loose the car and your friend.