Author Topic: Post secrets you know from your previous/current jobs  (Read 583041 times)

Geostache

• Stubble
Re: Post secrets you know from your previous/current jobs
« Reply #350 on: July 16, 2015, 09:21:30 AM »

ETA: Of course you can always go to the GSA auction website and buy yourself a nice Blackhawk helicopter or 2, they even have a listing for the space shuttle and Hubble Telescope but looks like they have already been bought. I'm really not kidding - those things are on their auction site. http://gsaauctions.gov/gsaauctions/aucitsrh/?sl=91QSCI15271601
Spartans, if you can find it again, please provide link to Hubble. It's the 25th anniversary and I've been attending weekly lectures by the astronomers who solved the problems and made startling discoveries, so I'm hooked.  it must be heavily discounted by now ;)

Trade secret: Anything in Earth orbit must have a 27 year de-orbit plan as part of its requirement when launched. This includes Hubble. So, you might be able to buy HST, but it will be in little burned pieces by the time you get it.

Spork

• Walrus Stache
    • Spork In The Eye
« Reply #351 on: July 16, 2015, 09:29:46 AM »

The stagehand union is mostly Irish (some Italians too), related to each other, and many people are second, third and fourth generation union members. And they are paid very, very well. Do not mess with the stagehands.

In fact, you can not have a show in a Broadway theater without using unionized employees. The unions have agreements with the owners of the physical theaters themselves, and there are only so many Broadway theaters.

Along those lines...
I once did some technical computer-type work on a project inside Radio City Music Hall.  We had about 5 computers staged in a hotel about half a block from Radio City.  We had to move them to the basement of RC.
* 1 union crew of 4 required to take stuff from 2nd floor of hotel to ground floor
* 1 union crew of 4 put it on a truck, drove it half a block, unloaded it to sidewalk
* 1 union crew of 4 took it to basement of RC.
* 1 union crew of 4 electricians plugged the computers into electric receptacles.

The amount of stuff we were moving could easily have just been picked up by us, walked down the street and plugged in.  But it took 16 guys to do it.

shelivesthedream

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #352 on: July 16, 2015, 09:40:49 AM »
Any time you see a show in the West End (and I assume it's the same on Broadway, although I know it is more unionised), most people on and behind that stage will be paid close to minimum wage, will come in to a basement dressing room that floods every so often or has actual leaks from street level, and are wearing costumes that are more patch than fabric. Someone of them won't have been cleaned thoroughly since the show started. Dry cleaning jackets once a week is normal and boy, do those actors sweat! I know of one show that ran for several years and had some complex costumes that were never ever cleaned. Even, I think, through several cast changes.

The minimum wage thing is absolutely not true on Broadway for actors, musicians and stagehands. Your average chorus member is making close to six figures, ditto your lowest level pit musician. You can find the union pay scales easily enough. Neither is costume cleaning. In fact, the frequency of cleaning is specified in Equity contracts. My husband did a show where the actors wore skintight bodysuits that had to be cleaned daily.

This is the actor's pay scale:
http://actorsequity.org/agreements/agreement_info.asp?inc=001

This is the musician's:
http://www.local802afm.org/wp-content/uploads/2012/07/Broadway-Scales-2015.pdf

The stagehand union is mostly Irish (some Italians too), related to each other, and many people are second, third and fourth generation union members. And they are paid very, very well. Do not mess with the stagehands.

In fact, you can not have a show in a Broadway theater without using unionized employees. The unions have agreements with the owners of the physical theaters themselves, and there are only so many Broadway theaters.

I need to get me on a boat to Noo Yoik!

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #353 on: July 16, 2015, 10:25:15 AM »

Along those lines...
I once did some technical computer-type work on a project inside Radio City Music Hall.  We had about 5 computers staged in a hotel about half a block from Radio City.  We had to move them to the basement of RC.
* 1 union crew of 4 required to take stuff from 2nd floor of hotel to ground floor
* 1 union crew of 4 put it on a truck, drove it half a block, unloaded it to sidewalk
* 1 union crew of 4 electricians plugged the computers into electric receptacles.

The amount of stuff we were moving could easily have just been picked up by us, walked down the street and plugged in.  But it took 16 guys to do it.

Yeah, that's pretty common. When you're on tour, there are all these about who touches what, when. So the teamsters drive the trucks and someone else unloads some of it but not all of it and takes it to the theater door, at which point another union of guys is responsible for moving it into the theater unless it's the actors personal trunks...etc.

This is the kind of shit that makes people hate unions and overshadows (in public opinion) the real good a union  can do for truly downtrodden workers

sol

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #354 on: July 16, 2015, 12:21:25 PM »
Do you think the person flying the helicopter, climbing a mountain, driving a boat, or swimming in the open ocean in a storm who rescues your butt (off the side of a cliff, the roof of your house, under the rubble of the earthquake, or from the middle of the ocean) is doing that type of work because they have ADHD?

Probably not, but I'll add my own anecdotal observations to the debate.  I hang out with a lot of climbers who do mountain rescue work, and while I wouldn't call them ADHD they certainly aren't normal either.  Those motherfuckers are crazy.  Way too high risk for my tastes, like to the point where I won't even climb with them recreationally.  They thrive on danger, and not the usual adrenaline junkie kind but the "how can I make this unnecessarily unsafe" kind that just makes no sense to me.

At least in the alpine community, rescue work doesn't draw the civic altruists you mentioned.  It draws overconfident thrill seekers with intermediate-level skills who are looking to make a name for themselves.  It's the high-risk high-reward wing of a high-risk high-reward hobby.

CommonCents

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #355 on: July 16, 2015, 12:29:08 PM »
Or maybe, it's a ven diagram with a circle of ADHD people and a circle of altruistic people overlapping, from which comes a disproportionate amount of rescue workers...

StartingEarly

• Bristles
« Reply #356 on: July 16, 2015, 02:24:44 PM »
A common misconception is that ADHD people can't focus at all. If we have something we really like we can get hyper focused and pour huge amounts of our time and focus into it. We just don't do meetings, you have to earn out attention ;)

Pooperman

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #357 on: July 16, 2015, 02:27:04 PM »
A common misconception is that ADHD people can't focus at all. If we have something we really like we can get hyper focused and pour huge amounts of our time and focus into it. We just don't do meetings, you have to earn out attention ;)

Could you repeat that? I was off listening to music and making my freedom spreadsheet function better instead of giving a damn. ;)

StartingEarly

• Bristles
« Reply #358 on: July 16, 2015, 09:28:24 PM »
"quit walking around I'm trying to talk to you" stops walking to continue conversation then starts walking around again

3okirb

• Stubble
« Reply #359 on: July 16, 2015, 09:57:21 PM »
Being in this thread makes me feel like I'm a part of "Fight Club".  Us mustachians control everything!

Daley

• Magnum Stache
  • Still kickin', I guess.
« Reply #360 on: July 17, 2015, 09:26:15 AM »
jared-leto-fight-club-gif-i6[1].gif

*snerk*

skunkfunk

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #361 on: July 21, 2015, 12:28:26 PM »
I only know that it is a disorder that makes it difficult to focus on things for lengthy periods of time and causes hyperactivity (and my apologies if I am wrong in that).

Hyperactivity is one possible symptom but mostly presents in children. I've been told that most patients grow out of that one before adulthood. Probably a good thing, hyperactive kids are the worst.

birdman2003

• Bristles
« Reply #362 on: August 11, 2015, 04:00:33 AM »
Abrasive grinding wheels are used everywhere in the factory.  Company Y buys a lot of them.  Wheels were set up in the computer system as $xx per 1 box of 10 wheels.  New computer system is implemented.  Item retains same price, but is configured per 1 wheel, not 1 box of 10 wheels.

Fast forward 6 years and nobody in accounting noticed that Company Y was paying extra money to the supplier.  Management is now sweating as they try to figure out how to explain a $1M write off. . .

MayDay

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #363 on: August 11, 2015, 06:26:57 AM »
When harvesting tart cherries into bins, there is a "no oil in the water" policy when the bins get to the plant.  While that means we work to keep equipment (that is, by nature, oily) from somehow dripping/rubbing on the bins and getting in the water, it's not perfect.  So the teenagers icing the bins before they go on the truck cup their hands or dip in shovels to get the oil on top of the water out of the bin.  So there's trace amounts of oil in tart cherry products.  Also, they pull out dead birds, insects of all sorts, and your normal sticks and leaves.  But the cherries go through a kill step, so it's fine :p

Also, if you're truckload of processing apples gets rejected at the plant for having worms in the sample pulled, the standard next choice is to drive around the block and get another sample pulled from your "next" load of apples.  Which is usually worm-free, because we try to limit these sorts of problems (three cheers for pesticides).  The plant keeps track of the number of rejected loads by grower, and it's sort of a game around here to guess how many rejected loads a certain grower has.  For reference, we had less than 1% last year.

My uncle grows feed corn.  They live near an ethanol facility, and its the same game.  Except add in, when they have plenty of corn, the regulations get stricter, and when they are desperate, they'll take it all!  They definitely drive around the block with the semi full of corn, though. 

MayDay

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #364 on: August 11, 2015, 06:39:32 AM »

Along those lines...

To bring it full circle back to government waste....

My dad presents at government conferences in DC sometimes.  When he has a booth he has to follow similar union rules.  This is further complicated by the time constraints when he is flying in and has to get his stuff set up at a certain time, and the union guys either aren't available or you pay 3x (Numbers made up from my memory of him telling the story) normal price because your flight arrived at 11 pm on a Sunday.

He has taken to just sneaking the stuff in himself, because it ends up not too many people are standing around keeping tabs on the situation at 11pm on Sunday.  The money makes him mad, but the unbelievable waste of times makes him even more mad. 

Megma

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #365 on: August 11, 2015, 07:09:38 AM »

Along those lines...

To bring it full circle back to government waste....

My dad presents at government conferences in DC sometimes.  When he has a booth he has to follow similar union rules.  This is further complicated by the time constraints when he is flying in and has to get his stuff set up at a certain time, and the union guys either aren't available or you pay 3x (Numbers made up from my memory of him telling the story) normal price because your flight arrived at 11 pm on a Sunday.

He has taken to just sneaking the stuff in himself, because it ends up not too many people are standing around keeping tabs on the situation at 11pm on Sunday.  The money makes him mad, but the unbelievable waste of times makes him even more mad.

This is an issue at every U.S. conference center I've ever exhibited or run a conference at. They usually all have a union or three at the center. The problem is there are ten union guys who can move boxes, five of these are just there to yell at you for moving your own box five feet and the other five are moving boxes for the forty other exhibitors, so you have to wait forever.

When involved in the meeting management at the conference center it's even worse, nothing ever seems to be the responsibility of the person your talking to it the building staff, conference planner, av guys or whoever is not around and from what I could tell, there was never a reason for who did what...

nobodyspecial

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #366 on: August 11, 2015, 09:38:21 AM »
This is an issue at every U.S. conference center I've ever exhibited or run a conference at
Never-ever do a conference in New Orleans.
After paying $10K for a booth you just hand $100 bills to any guy who walks past so that your stuff doesn't accidentally get trashed overnight before the show.

gaja

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #367 on: August 11, 2015, 01:22:48 PM »
Infrastructure is so vulnerable, and terrorism is so easy, that I'm amazed we still have a functional civilization.

This is a big mystery to me too. If you follow the news for a while and look at what infrastructure gets knocked out by ordinary bad weather, it shouldn't take long to find the weak spots. I have no doubt the police stops a lot of stuff that could have escalated, especially the local forces who have time to talk to people. But also through online forums and information we willingly share.

This is one of my favourites on the subject of stupid terrorists:
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=_j8UjcQg0QE

MandyM

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #368 on: August 12, 2015, 06:40:20 AM »
Most people would be uncomfortable knowing how much untreated sewage ends up getting discharged. And how much of our sewer system is on the verge of collapse. Pipes generally have a useful life of about 50 years although some can go as long as 100+ years. Which corresponds pretty closely to how long most of it has been in the ground.

ClassyCat

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #369 on: August 12, 2015, 08:10:00 AM »
My co-worker used to work at Starbucks. She said it's common practice to give someone a decaf drink in the morning if they treat you like crap. The ultimate revenge!

gaja

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #370 on: August 12, 2015, 03:37:59 PM »
Most people would be uncomfortable knowing how much untreated sewage ends up getting discharged. And how much of our sewer system is on the verge of collapse. Pipes generally have a useful life of about 50 years although some can go as long as 100+ years. Which corresponds pretty closely to how long most of it has been in the ground.

Sewage is one thing, another is drinking water. 50% loss from treatment plant to user is common, one municipality reported 90% loss! With so big losses, you risk pressure fall an infiltration of for instance the sewage mentioned above.

forummm

• Walrus Stache
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #371 on: August 12, 2015, 04:10:47 PM »

Sewage is one thing, another is drinking water. 50% loss from treatment plant to user is common, one municipality reported 90% loss! With so big losses, you risk pressure fall an infiltration of for instance the sewage mentioned above.

In a pressurized system, the leaks are going outwards, not letting stuff come in. The real problem is the loss of the water, not stuff getting in. They have to test to make sure the water stays clean at the tap.

ncornilsen

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #372 on: August 12, 2015, 05:32:25 PM »

In a pressurized system, the leaks are going outwards, not letting stuff come in. The real problem is the loss of the water, not stuff getting in. They have to test to make sure the water stays clean at the tap.

Never underestimate the flow generating capacity of concentration gradients...  for example, there is a critical leak size, for a given pressure, purity, and ambient humidity, below which water will leak INTO a high pressure, hi purity argon pipe.

AlanStache

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #373 on: August 12, 2015, 06:26:27 PM »

Never underestimate the flow generating capacity of concentration gradients...  for example, there is a critical leak size, for a given pressure, purity, and ambient humidity, below which water will leak INTO a high pressure, hi purity argon pipe.

Is this what happens to cause a slow internet connection, the bits leak out under low pressure when in the old tubes?

Zx

• Bristles
« Reply #374 on: August 12, 2015, 06:38:49 PM »
Educational policy is almost never decided by people with actual experience as educators.

Exactly. The stuff I teach is all about electronics, transmitters, instrumentation, pressure regulation, all having to do with natural gas.

The people who write the curriculum know nothing at all about it. They've never trained in it, worked in it, taught it....nothing. But they write the curriculum. They don't even have degrees in curriculum writing.

Spork

• Walrus Stache
    • Spork In The Eye
« Reply #375 on: August 12, 2015, 07:41:36 PM »
Educational policy is almost never decided by people with actual experience as educators.

Exactly. The stuff I teach is all about electronics, transmitters, instrumentation, pressure regulation, all having to do with natural gas.

The people who write the curriculum know nothing at all about it. They've never trained in it, worked in it, taught it....nothing. But they write the curriculum. They don't even have degrees in curriculum writing.

I think this can be generalized.  For example, computer and network design is almost always decided by directors and VPs that don't have to work on the equipment.  They're unable to see the additional costs of slapping together/maintaining sub-par equipment.

myhotrs

• Stubble
« Reply #376 on: August 13, 2015, 12:42:43 PM »
Maybe super obvious but I see this happen all the time. I'm in a b-b sales position and the cost of our product between two clients getting the same thing can be huge. Also, asking for a discount/deal and being a dick works really well. I've had some clients accept the first price (like most consumers would) and others that pushed back. The second group regularly pays 25-50% less for exactly the same product/support.

Basenji

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #377 on: August 13, 2015, 06:26:31 PM »
See these cool chairs?
http://www.emeco.net/products/emeco-1006-navy-chair-brushed-us-navy

When DH was in the Navy, he watched in pain as dozens and dozens of these chairs were thrown overboard into the sea. The reason given was the chairs were old, some were broken (but theoretically repairable), the ship was getting new ones, and there's no way to hand stuff like that back in, or wasn't back then.

And that was just the chairs that he noticed because he coveted them for design reasons (thus his pain)...lots of other stuff went overboard. Including people, more often than you'd think.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2015, 06:30:55 PM by Basenji »

Silverwood

• Stubble
« Reply #378 on: August 13, 2015, 06:34:06 PM »
@basenji  so if you didn't like someone you would toss them overboard? Never to be seen again?

Basenji

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #379 on: August 13, 2015, 06:56:20 PM »
@basenji  so if you didn't like someone you would toss them overboard? Never to be seen again?

Good question, I'll ask my husband. My impression from old stories was it was a combination of suicidal thoughts, attention seeking, and basic stupidity while standing too close to the edge. But I can see being an asshole as being a risk factor.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2015, 07:06:05 PM by Basenji »

Embok

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Magnum Stache
« Reply #380 on: August 13, 2015, 08:11:40 PM »
There are a lot of lawyers in BigLaw firms that are lazy and last had an original thought, or updated their legal knowledge, many years ago.  Many of them who are transactional lawyers don't know the current law in their respective fields.  Most clients cannot tell if their transactional lawyers are good at their jobs or know the law or not. 

There's also a significant old boys tax paid by clients and younger partners, as well as by productive senior partners, for many such lawyers.  Because many law firms are poorly managed or run like private clubs by the control group, this practice continues.

Schaefer Light

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #381 on: August 14, 2015, 08:16:19 AM »
Maybe super obvious but I see this happen all the time. I'm in a b-b sales position and the cost of our product between two clients getting the same thing can be huge. Also, asking for a discount/deal and being a dick works really well. I've had some clients accept the first price (like most consumers would) and others that pushed back. The second group regularly pays 25-50% less for exactly the same product/support.
This kind of stuff happens a lot in my field (telecom).

Megma

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #382 on: August 17, 2015, 09:12:12 PM »
This is an issue at every U.S. conference center I've ever exhibited or run a conference at
Never-ever do a conference in New Orleans.
After paying $10K for a booth you just hand $100 bills to any guy who walks past so that your stuff doesn't accidentally get trashed overnight before the show.

Whoa I've never had it that bad! They usually just steal our giveaways but I've pretty much always been exhibiting as the organization that is holding the whole conference (ie bringing in all the other biz and $$$$) so maybe they leave us be? Could be.

Easye418

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #383 on: August 18, 2015, 01:49:16 PM »
NEVER EVER EVER ORDER DRAFT BEER FROM A DIVE BAR.

I used to manage a promotions team for MillerCoors and went along with the distributor reps who were giving a person who just purchased a dive bar a training on how to use their draft system. They discovered that the previous owner did not refrigerate the kegs properly, and had forged the cleaning logs for the lines to each keg.

They are supposed to do this regularly but the person demonstrating the cleaning procedure told me maybe 10% of independent small bars adhere to this. He then proceeded to clean the lines with the proper solution and I gagged when I saw what came out of it.

He told me the beer will have an off taste almost like a buttery stale popcorn when the lines have not been cleaned properly. I pretty much stick to bottled beer now.

Also so many of the "craft" beer companies are owned by the major players: Blue Moon = MillerCoors, Shock Top = Budweiser

I used to work for MillerCoors in Revenue Management.  Great company that actually cares about manufacturing quality.  Also, the hardest working 95 cal beer out there!  (Drank it before I worked there, still stand by it).  Flat Organization so hard to move up non sales.  Old boys club.

Anyways, the distributor/ bar owner is supposed to keep up with keg line cleaning regularly to keep bacteria from forming in the lines.  Not to mention, the people they hire are complete morons who have no idea how to pour a perfect beer and waste money buy pouring foam out. 

I was always told to never order draft beer from places with a large number of taplines.  The chances that each of those lines get serviced properly is very slim.  When in doubt, order a bottle. 

Blue Moon/Leinies/Redd's/Smith and Forge/Crispin/Peroni/Steel Reserve/Olde English/Keystone/Mickey's/Miller/Coors all fall under the MillerCoors label.  It's amazing that many people still do not know this.

Secret:  I could drink on the job at my desk whenever I wanted to with a fully stocked bar in the building.  (However, I rarely did this, if ever).  Also, MillerCoors has a private employee bar at all of there major headquarters: Chicago,Golden, and Milwaukee.  Chicago was a penthouse, rooftop bar opened everyday from 4-6 and it was free.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2015, 01:51:36 PM by Easye418 »

Spork

• Walrus Stache
    • Spork In The Eye
« Reply #384 on: August 18, 2015, 02:06:42 PM »
Secret:  I could drink on the job at my desk whenever I wanted to with a fully stocked bar in the building.  (However, I rarely did this, if ever).  Also, MillerCoors has a private employee bar at all of there major headquarters: Chicago,Golden, and Milwaukee.  Chicago was a penthouse, rooftop bar opened everyday from 4-6 and it was free.

It's been over 30 years but...  They used to have bars even in bottling/distribution centers.  I worked at a blood bank and there was usually a big knock down fight to see who got to go on the blood drive at the Coors plant. 

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #385 on: August 18, 2015, 02:11:02 PM »
NEVER EVER EVER ORDER DRAFT BEER FROM A DIVE BAR.

I used to manage a promotions team for MillerCoors and went along with the distributor reps who were giving a person who just purchased a dive bar a training on how to use their draft system. They discovered that the previous owner did not refrigerate the kegs properly, and had forged the cleaning logs for the lines to each keg.

They are supposed to do this regularly but the person demonstrating the cleaning procedure told me maybe 10% of independent small bars adhere to this. He then proceeded to clean the lines with the proper solution and I gagged when I saw what came out of it.

He told me the beer will have an off taste almost like a buttery stale popcorn when the lines have not been cleaned properly. I pretty much stick to bottled beer now.

Also so many of the "craft" beer companies are owned by the major players: Blue Moon = MillerCoors, Shock Top = Budweiser

I used to work for MillerCoors in Revenue Management.  Great company that actually cares about manufacturing quality.  Also, the hardest working 95 cal beer out there!  (Drank it before I worked there, still stand by it).  Flat Organization so hard to move up non sales.  Old boys club.

Anyways, the distributor/ bar owner is supposed to keep up with keg line cleaning regularly to keep bacteria from forming in the lines.  Not to mention, the people they hire are complete morons who have no idea how to pour a perfect beer and waste money buy pouring foam out. 

I was always told to never order draft beer from places with a large number of taplines.  The chances that each of those lines get serviced properly is very slim.  When in doubt, order a bottle. 

Blue Moon/Leinies/Redd's/Smith and Forge/Crispin/Peroni/Steel Reserve/Olde English/Keystone/Mickey's/Miller/Coors all fall under the MillerCoors label.  It's amazing that many people still do not know this.

Can you tell me the supposed benefits of ordering a draft beer?  Around here, I've found that it's not necessarily cheaper -- it's often the same price as a similar bottle and sometimes more expensive.  Is the theory that you get a full pint vs. 12 oz bottle (this is unusual in my experience)?  Is it supposed to taste "fresher"?  Or is it really irrelevant... just get the beer you like regardless of tap/bottle.

Just asking because I've always tended to "prefer" to order something on draft, but in retrospect I don't have a logical reason.

skunkfunk

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #386 on: August 18, 2015, 02:14:41 PM »
Is it supposed to taste "fresher"?  Or is it really irrelevant... just get the beer you like regardless of tap/bottle.

Just asking because I've always tended to "prefer" to order something on draft, but in retrospect I don't have a logical reason.

With some exceptions, fresher beer is better. Most styles don't hold up to time, though again, many exceptions.

I've found around here that I can get good craft beer cheaper on draft than in bottles on the rare occasions that I can get out and find some.

Easye418

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #387 on: August 18, 2015, 02:34:03 PM »

It's been over 30 years but...  They used to have bars even in bottling/distribution centers.  I worked at a blood bank and there was usually a big knock down fight to see who got to go on the blood drive at the Coors plant.

The plants have em as well.  However, I worked strictly in corporate.

Can you tell me the supposed benefits of ordering a draft beer?  Around here, I've found that it's not necessarily cheaper -- it's often the same price as a similar bottle and sometimes more expensive.  Is the theory that you get a full pint vs. 12 oz bottle (this is unusual in my experience)?  Is it supposed to taste "fresher"?  Or is it really irrelevant... just get the beer you like regardless of tap/bottle.

I think Google/BeerAdvocate/Hipster drinker has better answer than mine.  Draft beer is "fresher", I'm not a 1000% sure, but it always chilled, never exposure to daylight, quicker to the consumer's hands, ordered more often, etc.  However, it needs to be properly handled.  Beer lines cleaned, glassware clean, poured correctly, correct C02 amount, temperature, etc.  Lots of a variables.  Hence, why I don't trust bartenders to understand this.

The worst is seeing bartenders dip the beer faucet into the beer.  That is exactly how you create bacteria in beer lines.  Beer up to the glass rim with no foam is another pet peeve.

If we are talking strictly Premium lights (Miller/Coors/Bud), I would assume it is all based on price per oz at the restaurant.  Pricing is all controlled by the on-premise owner.  Not to mention, Kegs are the cheapest form of beer a restaurant owner can buy.

With all of that being said, I have my own kegerator and love it. 
« Last Edit: August 18, 2015, 02:41:17 PM by Easye418 »

Clever Name

• Stubble
« Reply #388 on: August 19, 2015, 10:28:01 AM »

I am assuming there is an exception if you are actually at the brewery?

Easye418

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #389 on: August 19, 2015, 11:52:54 AM »

I am assuming there is an exception if you are actually at the brewery?

Exception is when you are at an establishment that actually understands and cares for their products properly.  I would say breweries/ craft brewpubs would be one of those experts.

nobodyspecial

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #390 on: August 19, 2015, 12:27:44 PM »
Exception is when you are at an establishment that actually understands and cares for their products properly.  I would say breweries/ craft brewpubs would be one of those experts.
A real pub (where the beer is warm) has the beer in wooden barrels behind the bar.
You had a choice of which of the two beers he had room for.

larmando

• Stubble
« Reply #391 on: August 19, 2015, 12:59:09 PM »
Girls dont like Boys they like Cars and Money

I keep waiting for this to be true.  I was warned that women would only like me for my money and my car.  Well...  where are they?  Bring it on!
Sorry that one is not true. They like boys, they like how they're treated, they like to feel special and considered and loved etc. Sure some like status symbols more than others, but not *without* the rest. It might be a tie breaker, more than anything else, for those.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

FunkyStickman

• Pencil Stache
    • Living Outside the Box
« Reply #392 on: August 19, 2015, 02:18:44 PM »
I spent almost 20 years as a computer tech. My current job site had a top-level CEO they brought in to manage the factory. Guy knew absolutely nothing about industrial farm equipment (which is what we make) and was always having serious computer issues. More than once, I had to de-virus/malware his laptop because of it being completely overrun with pr0n, malware, every kind of nasty you can imagine.

I was politely told by HR that I was not allowed to report pr0n or any kind of anything on anybody's laptop unless they specifically asked me to. I ended up having to wipe his laptop half a dozen times in the space of 2 years. He "left for better opportunities" after that.

Computer techs, due to their job description, can see everything you put on your computer... part of how we fix it is to see where you've been, what you've done, to find clues as to what went wrong. And if you think you're getting away with anything... you're wrong. We always find out, we're just not allowed to say, in order to keep our jobs.

I could've probably made a small living from blackmailing high-up CEO's if I'd wanted.

Don't even get me started on industrial MFP printers. There's a reason I don't work in IT any more.

Sofa King

• Bristles
« Reply #393 on: August 19, 2015, 06:01:36 PM »
If you like your car be nice to the Valet.  Tip when you arrive AND when you are leaving if a different Valet retrieves your car. If you don't tip and are a return customer you have been warned. Have some class. Stiffing the Valet (it happens all the time) say's more about you then the person providing the service.   

Spork

• Walrus Stache
    • Spork In The Eye
« Reply #394 on: August 19, 2015, 06:06:23 PM »
If you like your car be nice to the Valet.  Tip when you arrive AND when you are leaving if a different Valet retrieves your car. If you don't tip and are a return customer you have been warned. Have some class. Stiffing the Valet (it happens all the time) say's more about you then the person providing the service.

...or walk 100 feet further and park your own car. 

I hate valet parking.  I know how to park.  I can walk.  I do not want to be pressured into having someone else park my car and damage it -- even after tipping.  Yes, this has happened.  No, they would not pay for it.  And it was in a place that had no other option than valet park.

AlanStache

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #395 on: August 19, 2015, 08:37:41 PM »

...or walk 100 feet further and park your own car. 

I hate valet parking.  I know how to park.  I can walk.  I do not want to be pressured into having someone else park my car and damage it -- even after tipping.  Yes, this has happened.  No, they would not pay for it.  And it was in a place that had no other option than valet park.

I worked in a nice hotel during collage along side the valets and they were always polite and professional regardless of tip.  It seemed normal to mostly tip when you picked up your car with no or a smaller tip when dropping it off; maybe a few dollars tops when dropping it off.  Exception to this is if you wanted us to keep the car near the front because you only were going to be a minute then it worked best to tip before and maybe a bit more after if they did not send your car down to the garage.  This was a nice hotel on the west coast, things may be different elsewhere.  We also took some pride in arraigning the high end cars, nice and symmetrical with the pillars :-)   Also if the place looks busy it can help to have a folded bill visible in your hand on the steering wheel while pulling up.

All that said I try to avoid valet, self park is cheaper and much easier. 

bonus pro tip: Never toss the keys at a valet, they will make an effort not to try to catch them, like I saw one time a valet let them bounce off his chest-arms straight down at his sides.  You will look like a tool, dont do it, you are not in a Lexus commercial.

radtek2112

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #396 on: August 19, 2015, 08:57:21 PM »
A good percentage of the tests doctors order on you are to "CYA"(cover your ass-theirs, not yours).

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #397 on: August 20, 2015, 12:43:51 AM »

bonus pro tip: Never toss the keys at a valet, they will make an effort not to try to catch them, like I saw one time a valet let them bounce off his chest-arms straight down at his sides.  You will look like a tool, dont do it, you are not in a Lexus commercial.

What if the keys are wrapped in a $20?

I spent almost 20 years as a computer tech. My current job site had a top-level CEO they brought in to manage the factory. Guy knew absolutely nothing about industrial farm equipment (which is what we make) and was always having serious computer issues. More than once, I had to de-virus/malware his laptop because of it being completely overrun with pr0n, malware, every kind of nasty you can imagine.

I was politely told by HR that I was not allowed to report pr0n or any kind of anything on anybody's laptop unless they specifically asked me to. I ended up having to wipe his laptop half a dozen times in the space of 2 years. He "left for better opportunities" after that.

Computer techs, due to their job description, can see everything you put on your computer... part of how we fix it is to see where you've been, what you've done, to find clues as to what went wrong. And if you think you're getting away with anything... you're wrong. We always find out, we're just not allowed to say, in order to keep our jobs.

I could've probably made a small living from blackmailing high-up CEO's if I'd wanted.

Don't even get me started on industrial MFP printers. There's a reason I don't work in IT any more.

The whole Ashley Madison leak thing... so many IT guys are gonna get blamed "for failing to protect the company"

FunkyStickman

• Pencil Stache
    • Living Outside the Box
« Reply #398 on: August 20, 2015, 05:36:40 AM »
The whole Ashley Madison leak thing... so many IT guys are gonna get blamed "for failing to protect the company"

Yep, it's insane how easy it is for that to happen, especially considering most IT guys are overqualified, overworked, and underpaid...

Dr. Doom

• Bristles
« Reply #399 on: August 22, 2015, 05:04:29 PM »

Yep, it's insane how easy it is for that to happen, especially considering most IT guys are overqualified, overworked, and underpaid...

Out of curiosity, I downloaded the data .. included in the package is a doc, clearly created by the AM internal IT staff, called "compliance and security concerns" where they enumerate through hardening steps they needed to do to make the site more secure from sql injections and other hacking methods.  Found it unfortunate that they knew what they needed to do in order to more securely protect the site, but didn't actually do it.  Without being there, it's impossible to know why.

RE: blame, it really doesn't matter, AM's days are numbered.  The lawsuits are already pouring in.  Their IT staff will disappear along with the rest of the emps.