412 (17.5%)
Between $250,000 and $500,000
484 (20.6%)
Between $500,000 and $1,000,000
334 (14.2%)
More than $1,000,000
438 (18.6%)

Total Members Voted: 2217

Author Topic: POLL: Mustachian Net Worth?  (Read 64904 times)

devan 11

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Re: POLL: Mustachian Net Worth?
« Reply #150 on: May 09, 2017, 08:10:25 AM »
I would have liked more breaks above $1M.  Millionaires next door fascinates me.

rantk81

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #151 on: May 09, 2017, 08:40:43 AM »
Closing in on $1.2M. This includes estimated net liquidation value of a couple rental condos and my primary residence, plus brokerage accounts and retirement savings.

Even with the thought of relocating to a lower cost of living area, this doesn't seem like nearly enough to FIRE -- primarily because of the uncertainty of health insurance and health care costs.  I almost feel like I need at least half of a million USD in my stash just to be dedicated to potential future medical coverage/costs.  I guess my target is probably somewhere close to $2M.

FireHiker

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #152 on: May 09, 2017, 09:37:16 AM »
I got to move up to the top bracket! For the "race" thread I don't include my primary residence, but if I do (I did here), then I'm sitting at $1.2M. Sadly there's no retirement for us until we're able to leave our current HCOL area, but the good news is that if we were really in a bind, we COULD move to a LCOL area and be set now. That's a really, really nice feeling!

BuffaloStache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #153 on: May 09, 2017, 09:03:13 PM »
No idea what I voted last time or when, but I know our NW has shot up considerably since I found MMM. Currently sits at $1.5M, not including my FERS pension (which I'll get in less than 2 years). At retirement, if I valued the pension simply on the basis of what I'd need in a 401k drawing 4% per annum, it bumps our NW over $3M (it's very difficult to value it using an annuity calculator because of the survivor feature). Just passed the 2-year countdown threshold this past Sunday -- I can hardly believe I'm that close!

Do you lose this FERS if you don't wait to retire? Seems like you have more than enough to be FI now, especially if you lived in a LCOL area and applied some Mustachian principles.

Lan Mandragoran

• Bristles
« Reply #154 on: May 10, 2017, 12:06:20 PM »
Not sure this poll makes sense for new peeps who invest in RE like myself. My networth is technically -260k~, but thats because I have cashflowing rentals ;o that pay down their own mortgage.

teen persuasion

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #155 on: May 10, 2017, 05:56:08 PM »
Thanks for bumping the thread - I've jumped up a category! No idea when I first voted, but I have updated our standing.

SwordGuy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #156 on: May 10, 2017, 06:22:19 PM »
Not sure this poll makes sense for new peeps who invest in RE like myself. My networth is technically -260k~, but thats because I have cashflowing rentals ;o that pay down their own mortgage.

You should be counting the value of the property in your assets and subtracting what you owe in your liabilities. 

So unless your mortgages are "underwater", i.e., more than the properties are worth, your rentals should be adding to your net worth.

Lan Mandragoran

• Bristles
« Reply #157 on: May 11, 2017, 01:07:49 PM »
Yeah they are both bought in the last 2 years so like 10k total equity or something.

NESailor

• Bristles
« Reply #158 on: May 11, 2017, 01:56:27 PM »
As of this morning I'm $500 from the next bucket.  Looking at the market it seems that I'll remain there for now :).  A few investments that are floating around in hyperspace between my payroll processor and custodian will hit next week and since my bucket is on the lower end, this may put us up into the next one :)  (250 - 500K)  Yeehaw. 

Rock on everyone.  Impressive figures all around!

ToughMother

• Bristles
« Reply #159 on: May 12, 2017, 05:51:12 AM »
WHOO HOO!  ;)

That's awesome.  Rock on.

Thanks a mil, nouveauRiche

ToughMother

• Bristles
« Reply #160 on: May 12, 2017, 05:54:42 AM »
Nice going!  You look to have a similar trajectory to ours over the past few years in terms of starting at the same place at the same time, but you are 100K in net worth ahead of us right now.  That is impressive!  Good spur to me to catch up.

Way to go, wenchsenior!  Glad to provide a bit of an incentive.  How 'bout we race to $1M???

The White Coat Investor

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
    • The White Coat Investor
« Reply #161 on: May 12, 2017, 11:08:55 PM »
While it's fun to see how others are doing, it's important to emphasize that personal finance is a game where your opponent is not other people, but simply your goals. You're playing against your financial goals and beating the is all that matters.

I think it's useful to know and track your net worth, of course, but hope nobody feels bad to find themselves in the bottom quartile. It doesn't matter so much where you are as what direction you're moving and at what rate!

SwordGuy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #162 on: May 14, 2017, 07:31:37 PM »
While it's fun to see how others are doing, it's important to emphasize that personal finance is a game where your opponent is not other people, but simply your goals. You're playing against your financial goals and beating the is all that matters.

I think it's useful to know and track your net worth, of course, but hope nobody feels bad to find themselves in the bottom quartile. It doesn't matter so much where you are as what direction you're moving and at what rate!

Absolutely!    Some people with a higher net worth will take longer to get to FI than people with a lower one.   That could be because their savings rate is lower or because a large portion of their net worth will not provide income to live on.   For example, a $1,000,000 house with a mortgage with $500,000 worth of equity will make the net worth look higher, but it will actually slow down reaching FI due to the high costs it adds to one's expenses.

Fomerly known as something

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #163 on: May 15, 2017, 05:33:40 AM »
No idea what I voted last time or when, but I know our NW has shot up considerably since I found MMM. Currently sits at $1.5M, not including my FERS pension (which I'll get in less than 2 years). At retirement, if I valued the pension simply on the basis of what I'd need in a 401k drawing 4% per annum, it bumps our NW over $3M (it's very difficult to value it using an annuity calculator because of the survivor feature). Just passed the 2-year countdown threshold this past Sunday -- I can hardly believe I'm that close!

Do you lose this FERS if you don't wait to retire? Seems like you have more than enough to be FI now, especially if you lived in a LCOL area and applied some Mustachian principles.

My guess, based on my own FERS, not losing FERS pension totally but losing the lifetime subsidized Health care that goes with it and possibly having to wait until 62 vs immediate pension.

VolcanicArts

• Stubble
« Reply #164 on: May 15, 2017, 03:49:32 PM »
I estimate being in the 250 k plus range fairly soon, assuming no drastic changes this year.

BuffaloStache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #165 on: May 19, 2017, 08:43:16 AM »
I estimate being in the 250 k plus range fairly soon, assuming no drastic changes this year.

Congrats! I'm basically at 10% of FI (not including the equity in my home) which I know is arbitrary but for me seems like a big milestone. This thing is real! It can be done!

clutchy

• Bristles
« Reply #166 on: December 28, 2017, 06:39:08 AM »
32 married

net worth is $152,000.

yearly change is usually about $35,000,  This last year it was a bit more and I'd like to see that continue to accelerate.  Wouldn't we all :)

Now 37; 2 kids. 

NW: $815k 

5 yr. change + $663k or $132k / yr. 

It's interesting to take a time warp back :) 

dude

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #167 on: December 28, 2017, 12:14:47 PM »

Hmm, just now seeing this question after someone else bumped the thread!  I wouldn't lose the FERS pension outright, but I would only get a deferred annuity collectible at age 62 (or as early as 57 with a 25% reduction), and there are no COLAs for the pension until 62, not to mention I wouldn't get the LEO 1.7% FERS pension (vs. the 1% regular FERS) if I didn't complete 20 LEO years. In addition, my lifestyle is quite a bit spendier than MMM's, so it would not be supportable on what I currently have + a deferred pension. It is more than worth it to me to stick it out another 16 months to grab the brass ring.

BuffaloStache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #168 on: January 03, 2018, 03:48:33 PM »
32 married

net worth is $152,000.

yearly change is usually about $35,000,  This last year it was a bit more and I'd like to see that continue to accelerate.  Wouldn't we all :)

Now 37; 2 kids. 

NW: $815k 

5 yr. change + $663k or $132k / yr. 

It's interesting to take a time warp back :)

Congrats! This gives me hope- I feel like I'm in a similar position to 32-yr-old-clutchy

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!